• Published 9th Jun 2012
  • 14,499 Views, 319 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Thus Saith The Lord - Kamin 989



Celestia's Conversion Bureau project meets a totally unexpected problem.

  • ...
65
 319
 14,499

Chapter VII: Never Mind How High The Cost May Grow



Chapter VII: Never Mind How High The Cost May Grow

Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.

- Job 9:6

Canterlot, Equestria

The woman had returned to Princess Celestia's throne room, noting that the shattered doors had not yet been repaired or even moved out of the way, dressed in black now. Celestia stood on her throne as the woman halted just beyond the doorway, right in front of the flagstones still scorched. She looked around at the shattered windows, the holes in roof and walls, and then to the throne where the Princess still proudly reigned.

'This is your last chance, Celestia,' she said. 'I am dreadfully sorry that I have to do this, and I wish it had never come to this. Surrender to the terms I have sent or you will only cause more innocents to suffer for the sake of your pride. God makes no mistakes, but Equestria has suffered for many of yours.'

'I will not surrender to these attacks,' the alicorn replied. 'I am the morning and the evening star, and I will not be spoken to by a filthy human!'

'Celestia,' she said. 'You must-'

'I have had ENOUGH OF THIS PRATTLE! I will not SURRENDER! THE CONVERSION WILL NOT END! I WILL NEVER BE JUDGED BY SUCH A WITLESS, STUPID, DIRTY, DISGUSTING, WRETCHED HUMAN FREAK!'

The woman began to simmer with barely-contained rage.

'No human, pony, pegasus, unicorn or alicorn calls me a freak. So be it. Celestia, you just lost your last chance to save Equestria the consequences of your actions. There will be no appeal or clemency now. So comes my seventh chastisement. The LORD makes the earth itself destroy your castle, your cities and towns. He has sent fire and locusts, but now he begins the final punishments!'

She struck her staff heavily on the ground. Suddenly, Canterlot began to shake, the roof collapsed as the woman casually walked out of the castle.

~*~

Equestria

The earth of Equestria began to rebel. Before long, it was rolling and rippling like a storm-tossed sea. Acres of ruined farmland fell into chasms. Avalanches swept forests and villages away before them. From Cloudsdale the pegasi saw the devastation at the truly immense scale it was taking place in. Cavern systems caved in, obliterating the Diamond Dogs and causing whole stretches of land to collapse into massive sinkholes. The changelings with their Queen Chrysalis were utterly wiped out in the mighty earthquake.

Canterlot fell in on itself like a child's sandcastle as the earth continued to shake. Rivers burst their banks and changed their courses. Rockslides fell down mountain-slopes. Animals in Everfree Forest poured out as the quakes struck it over and over again.

All Equestria was trembling in fear.

~*~

Manehattan

The city of Manehattan was disintegrating around Steffy. Ponies were running out of the city in a massive rush, which she had joined. The Mayor's Office had been flooded by the river, skyscrapers were falling down like match-sticks and whole blocks were collapsing, being swallowed by the earth. Debris rained, hitting the streets like the burning hail from before. A newfoal had miraculously managed to avoid the falling debris and buildings, but many other ponies had not.

Steffy had trusted Celestia at first, but now she didn't. The only thing left to do was find safety, which was said to be in Appleoosa.

~*~

Edge of Equestria

The outside world didn't feel a single tremor for the six complete hours the massive earthquake lasted. And now...it looked like the Barrier, the massive dome of energy which marked the limit of Equestria's growth, had weakened quite drastically in that time. Radiation readings were down 75 percent now on all parts of the Barrier - perhaps soon humanity could get a group into Equestria to get rid of the Princess.

~*~

Ruins of Canterlot

The unicorns had been working hard for almost three days digging for survivors. Many in Canterlot had been killed instantly when it collapsed, but Kathy the unicorn, still doggedly loyal to Celestia, was leading the effort in searching for survivors. It was early morning when they hauled the Princess herself out of the rubble. She was in a state of almost total exhaustion, and looked heavily weakened by what had happened. Her outside injuries were soon healed, but she retained a curious lethargy which none of them could explain.

It was hoped that this was the climax of the whole affair.