• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 12,011 Views, 1,211 Comments

Ascension - cloudedguardian



Celestia is dying. Or at least it seems so. Afflicted with a curse that is destroying her very nature, she sets a plan in action. The Bearers of the Elements of Harmony will take the throne in her wake... Not that they know that yet...

  • ...
34
 1,211
 12,011

A Solar Request

With an inaudible bop, two balloons, one a soft blue and the other a vibrant pink, bounced off of each other to resume their sleepy dance in the breeze that whirled freely though the Solar tower. A golden yellow balloon joined the two as the wind grew strong enough to lift it up once more. As the blue one neared the ceiling, it caught a ray of sunlight, and for a split second, looked like a brilliant bubble about to burst into an array of azure. As it drifted down once more, it landed near Celestia’s nose, who gave it the gentle bop it needed for it to rejoin the dance.

The balloons were all that was left of Pinkie’s latest “gift.” Although by many ponies’ definition it wasn’t a gift at all, the Princesses knew that was exactly what it was, another “Get Well" gift from the hyperactive party pony.

You see; three days ago, Fine Flour (One of the Royal Castle’s great pastry chefs) had the joy of showing around two of the students from the nearby Chef’s Institute. However, the two got into a heated “discussion” with him about the importance of high quality ingredients- Him believing that “the commoner’s apple” was only good for pig slop, and the students believing it didn’t matter where it came from, but rather the care it was grown with. Despite the good intentions of the students, Fine Flour got furious, and tried to throw them out of his kitchen. Over-hearing the commotion, Celestia intervened, and after hearing about the discussion from the other chefs, sided with the students. Fine Flour took her gentle reprimand as an insult against his “Five-star style” and left in a fit.

The problem was, however, that although Fine wasn’t the only pastry chef the Castle had, he was the only one that knew how to make Celestia’s favorite Hot Apple Sponge Cake. Celestia was quick to assure the rest of her staff that losing her favorite sweet was no big deal… And yet, somehow, word managed to reach Pinkie Pie, who immediately decided that it was a crime to go without your favorite goodies when you are feeling ill, and personally took it upon herself to fill the void.

Pinkie took the three hour trip up to Canterlot just to work anonymously in the kitchens and sneak up a certain sweet as a surprise. Celestia had been very startled to see her maid bringing up a Hot Apple Sponge Cake for dessert, but had tried it with gusto none-the-less. It used four different kinds of “commoner’s” apple, a large amount of cinnamon and maple syrup, and was far sweeter than what she was used to. It was heartfelt… and absolutely delicious.

Pinkie was discovered rather quickly, mostly due to her bright colouring and having far too much energy for a weary chef, and would have gotten into trouble… As no-one had any clue as to how she had managed to get in- But Luna stepped in, having recognized Pinkie’s hoof-work, and the three had ended up having tea together instead. It was then that Pinkie had brought out the balloons… Probably. To be honest, neither Princess was quite sure when the balloons came. They were simply there shortly after the bouncing pink pony had come up for tea, wearing a white saddle dress, crooked chef’s toque, apron, and absolutely coated in flour.

After getting cleaned up, the vibrant earth pony chased away all the exhausted and sorrowful smiles, and brought back the mischievous smirks and light laughter to the towers. Pinkie only left after Fine’s best student came to replace him the next morning, and she was sure to bake one last cake before going.

Celestia and Luna had shared that cake just between them two. For the first time since all the nonsense began, the two simply talked, joking and teasing each other as they used to so many years ago. The best moment had no doubt been when Luna had found a large chunk of a granny smith apple in her piece, and it brought up some fun…

“Ah, I should have said it was for Apple Sponge Cake…”

Celestia had looked up at her sister questioningly, curious to hear the other half of her thought.

“Oh, when I gave the Rejal Medallions to the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, they wanted to know where Applejack’s was. Tia, you put me in a bit of a mess giving Applejack hers first.” Luna pouted sourly, prompting a giggle from her elder sister.

“Oh, how so?” Celestia asked innocently, trying to keep a straight face.

“Well, Twilight immediately remembered that you had summoned Applejack here, and wanted to know what it was about. She is in every way, your student. Brushing it off does not work with that filly. Well, I have to admit, I panicked. And, Mother help me, I said it was for Apple Tea, and just now I realized it would have been much better for- OH! Quit laughing Tia! It’s not THAT funny!” Luna snapped, her cheeks flushing as Celestia collapsed in a fit of giggles.

“A-apple tea?” Celestia choked out through her chuckles, “Oh Lulu~ In all of Cael’s Sky, what were you thinking?

“I just said I panicked.” Luna muttered sourly, before catching the look Celestia was giving her, and starting to giggle as well.

Celestia chuckled at the memory, wincing a second later as her chest ached in quiet complaint. The curse is strengthening once again so quickly now.… She realized with a small twinge of sorrow. I was able to slow it by diluting my magic with the creation of the medallions but… A coughing fit interrupted her train of thought, and she paused to cover her mouth and let it pass. It was only a manner of time before my powers came back on their own, strengthening the blasted thing once again. She cursed quietly, letting her gaze fall to her hoof.

Red spots darkened the white fur. Celestia sighed, letting out a slow breath as she reassured herself of her plan. Pinkie was wearing that saddle dress, and she was a good foot taller… The medallions have activated… It must be working… But…Am I not going to be able to see this through? She wondered, as a large muscle spasm ripped down her back, distorting peaceful thoughts with silent cries of pain. However, it passed quickly, leaving her light-headed but able to think.

“Tia? I heard you coughing, are you alright?”

Celestia sighed again as she realized that she would have to rely on her sister for a vital task once again… Something she didn’t want to do, as she knew it would probably hurt Luna just as much as it would be helpful to the plan. And yet-

“Ah, horse apples.” Celestia swore softly as a violent headache whipped itself up. It felt much like as if her horn was trying to turn itself inside out and be nailed through her forehead.

“Tia?” Luna called again, this time stepping into her sister’s room.

Oh burzol. I forgot to clean up the-

A clatter of hoof-steps and Luna was at her side in a second.

“What happened?!? Are you coughing up blood now? Why- Err, what can I do? What is wrong Tia?”

-blood. Celestia sighed slightly again, willing the room to stop spinning and for her headache to go away long enough for her to calm Luna down again.

“I’m fine, Luna-“

“No, you are not! You-“

“I am aware of what is occurring.” Celestia snapped… And immediately regretted her loss of temper as she caught the hurt look that flashed across Luna’s face. “Luna, I-“

“I know… You did not mean to snap.” Luna cut her off, nuzzling her sister gently on the cheek.

Deep Breath.

“Luna, I…” Celestia sighed, closing her eyes and taking another breath before trying to continue. “I need to ask you a favor.”

Although she knew this did not bode well, Luna smiled gently in response and nodded, trying her hardest not to think too much into her sister’s tone.

“I need you to finish giving Twilight and the others the abilities they need- To finish their ascension.”

A chill settled itself in the middle of Luna’s back, threatening to grow and encase her in fright and ice. Celestia’s tone was that of the “professor”, the one she used to hide her own emotions. The look in her eyes as she said it though revealed everything she was trying to hide. Before Luna could reach out to them, Celestia faced them herself.

“And to guide them, as best as you can… In my place.” Celestia finished, her voice cracking just slightly on the last sentence.

“T-tia…” Luna could remember the last time her sister’s voice had cracked in fear, but not because it had been recent, but rather because it had been memorable. They were only children then though, or as they called that age now, “Teenagers”… But no… She would not pull up an old painful memory just to hide from a new one.

“Please, Luna….” Distracted as she was, she did not notice how weak Celestia’s voice had become.

“Yes. Of course I will… Tia…? TIA?!”


"TIA!?!"