• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 35,886 Views, 1,329 Comments

The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds - RK_Striker_JK_5



An old legend from Equestria's past returns, but is there a place for her in this new world?

  • ...
53
 1,329
 35,886

Chapter Seven

It had been a long day for the Princess Ponies in their castle. Princess Sparkle moved about one of the upper parapets, cleaning supplies floating behind her in the old stone room. Feather dusters cleaned up cobwebs while mops glided along the stone floor, occasionally floating over to a bucket and dipping into the water. The unicorn walked around and looked out of the arch-shaped window, seeing Celestia's day coming to a close and the stars of Luna's night beginning to shine through. "It's been so long since we've seen our daughters," she thought out loud.

She turned away as several multicolored balls of fur bounded in, some of them wearing oversized armored helmets on their heads, the visors clattering. "Message from Princess Celestia!" one of the bushwoolies said, holding up fur-covered hands and waving to the door. Several of the others ran up to Sparkle, herding her to the door.

"Gotta hear the message!"

"Gonna be important! Gotta be important! Waiting for you, Princess Sparkle!"

Princess Sparkle chuckled to herself as she was led down from the tower and down below the castle she lived in. The ornate stone quickly changed to barren, gray rock lit haphazardly by torches. She concentrated for a second and her horn brightened, banishing any shadows into stark corners of the tunnels under the castle. After a few minutes, she walked into a large chamber, carved from the living rock in times immemorial. Five other ponies gathered around a crystalline structure in the center of the room—the Heart of Ponyland—the scales upon which the balance of the world tilted.

Princess Sparkle noted the six wands stored in crowns on the Heart as she cantered up. "What is it?" she asked, looking around. "Is something happening? Is it good? Is it bad?"

A yellow-coated earth pony, Princess Starburst, looked over as the space above the Heart glowed. "It's not bad.At least I don't think it's bad." She turned back as the light wavered, resolving into the image of Princess Celestia. "You called, Celestia?"

The image of Celestia smiled, and her ethereal head bowed. "I did.I'm glad to see you all again. How are things? I feel the Heart is well."

Princess Tiffany, a stark-white pegasus with an equally white mane and tail, spoke up, looking down her muzzle at Celestia. "You'd know much better how we're doing if you visited more often instead of having us trek up to Canterlot!" She rolled her eyes to several stalactites hanging above. "A letter every decade or so does not make up for not visiting for the past hundred years!" She pawed at the ground and snorted. "We found out that Luna had returned a full month after from our subscription to the Canterlot Times!"

Celestia swallowed and scratched her chin with a hoof. She looked away. "Well, I'm pretty busy, Tiffany! I'm running a country, raising the sun, and until about eleven months ago, the moon too. There are affairs of state and—"

A tinny voice from somewhere near Celestia's physical location echoed through the magic link. "She's also going to tea parties and pranking Busy Body and— Celly, I wanna see them!" Celestia's image vanished, and Luna appeared. She looked around at the six Princess Ponies and the various bushwoolies also occupying the chamber, her violet cheeks suddenly becoming an even deeper purple. She looked down and away, not meeting any of their eyes. "H-hello, Mothers. It's good to see you." She raised a hoof and wiped it at her eye. "How are you?"

A mint-green earth pony leaned in, smiling. "How are you?" Princess Serena asked. "We're sorry we haven't been by Canterlot more often, Luna. We have our duties, but one of them should be tending to you in your time of need." She looked around. "Isn't that right?"

The other Princess Ponies nodded their assent. Princess Sparkle spoke up once more. "I have a feeling the call isn't exactly social, though. Luna, what does Celestia want?"

Luna's eyes widened and her mouth opened slightly. "Oh, sorry!" She looked away. "I can tell them? Oh, thank you!" She turned her attention back to those gathered and grinned. "Megan has returned!"

The ponies gathered all around the Heart gasped, some of them rearing back slightly and lifting their forelegs in shock. "B-but how?" Princess Primrose, a light-violet earth pony, asked. She shook her head. "The rainbow bridge... after what happened?"

Luna's head disappeared, and Celestia reappeared, wearing a grim expression. "Due to a rather complex incident involving a rogue dragon—and yes, I've contacted Spykoran for help with it—one of my prized pupil's friends managed a sonic rainboom in the vicinity of a teleport. This led to a hole in time and space being tunneled-right into Megan's backyard, it seems." She let a small smile tug at the corners of her mouth. "If that's coincidence, then I'm really the Mag'ne." She looked around before leaning forward. "Can you be at a town known as Ponyville the day after tomorrow? I have a little... surprise planned for her." She grinned and waggled her eyebrows for emphasis.

Princess Sparkle looked around before nodding to Celestia. "We shall, as well as the bushwoolies. I think they'd like to see their friend from so long ago as well." Her eyes went to the floor as a sudden wetness pervaded her eyes. "We never did thank her for the fine job she did raising you..."


Princess Sparkle and her sisters watched as Megan and three of the ponies from Paradise Estate approached over the crystal desert separating them from Ponyland proper. Megan wore a backpack with a strange stick poking out and had a book in hand. The pegasus known as Wind Whistler, the unicorn named Fizzy, and the earth pony Applejack accompanied her as she approached. "It's good to see you again!" Sparkle called out.

Megan's head shot up and she closed the book, curtsying. "And good to see you as well!' she exclaimed. She looked around, waving at some of the bushwoolies before turning her attention to the princesses. "So, what do you think of my proposal? Ponyland needs all the help it can get to become strong!"

Princess Tiffany spoke up, tapping the dirt with her hooves. "We must decline going to Dream Valley, Megan. We're sorry." At the girl's crestfallen expression, she continued to speak. "But we've done something to help already." She tapped the dirt with her hooves, getting everyone's attention. "Look!"

Megan looked down and gasped as she saw six wands lying at the hooves of the princesses, each one a dull gray. She slid her book into her backpack and picked two of them up, looking them over. "But when Lavan did this, the entire world almost crumbled!"

Princess Sparkle cleared her throat, gaining their attention. "Lavan wrested the powers with all the brute force of a knotted tree branch. We are the Princess Ponies and know what we're doing," she said, a twinkle in her eye. She looked to the pegasus, then canted her head sharply up at a cloud hanging in the sky. "Wind Whistler, correct? Please fly up to the cloud and hop on it. We'd like to see some rain."

Wind Whistler's eyebrow arched. "That is an impossibility, Princess Sparkle. Rain is formed—"

"Please?"

Wind Whistler spread her wings and jumped up, gliding to the small puff in the air. She circled around before landing on the top. She let out a small gasp as droplets cascaded down at her touch. "But this defies all scientific reason!"

"Says the talking pegasus," Megan muttered, stifling a giggle. She looked at the wands, then back to her friend still in the sky. "Did you do that?"

Princess Primrose spoke up. "Six weeks ago, we used the magic tied into three of the wands and dispersed it among the three kinds of ponies." She looked to the unicorn Fizzy. "The magic already inherent in your kind will increase greatly." And she looked to Applejack. "The earth ponies will gain a connection with the land. Their crops will grow and they shall gain the strength of many!"

Applejack's jaw dropped. "So... I'll get lots of apples from my apple trees?"

There was silence before Princess Serena spoke up. "Yes, Applejack." She looked over her shoulder, and the princesses separated. "Come out now. It's all right." She glanced over at Megan and the others as a pair of foals emerged. "And this... is what we did with the other three wands. I wish to introduce Celestia and Luna."

Megan gasped. She knelt down as a snow-white pony with a pink mane and tail and a midnight-blue pony with a dark-purple mane and tail emerged, bushwoolies by their side. Both had the horn of a unicorn and the wings of a pegasus! Megan shuffled forward and reached into her backpack, pulling out two carrot sticks. "Hi, there," she said, smiling as they took the carrots and began chewing on them.

Wind Whistler landed. "You used the wands to... create them? Why?"

"They are tied into Ponyland itself, and they will someday wield vast powers, bringing order to the land." Princess Starburst looked down her nose slightly at Megan. "But they will also need to learn right from wrong, and how to be kind, diplomatic, and also when to fight back." She trotted forward and sat down, reaching a hoof out to Megan. "Please, Megan. Teach Luna and Celestia. Teach them all that you've shown us. Help them mature into wise rulers who will lead the ponies into a golden age of peace!"

Megan's mouth wobbled a bit. Her cheeks flushed red, and she swallowed. "B-but I wouldn't know how to do that!" she exclaimed. "I'm just a teenager trying to pass my next test!" She stood up and waved at the Princess Ponies. "What about you? You're all a lot nicer than when Spike first met you. Can't you teach them?"

Princess Starburst shook her head. "We're learning, but we still have many lessons to go. And Luna and Celestia have to be out among their own kind, not locked up inside some old castle. Please, Megan. We need your help."

The young girl threw her arms up in the air. She looked down at the little fillies chewing on the carrot sticks. They looked up at her and smiled, and she rolled her eyes. "Oh..." She dropped to her knees and held out her arms, gathering them up in a hug. "I'll do my best. I swear it."

Celestia squirmed slightly as Megan picked her up. She twisted around and looked to the Princess Ponies. "Mommy?"

The ponies all gathered around Megan, each one nuzzling Celestia, then Luna. "We'll always love you. And we'll visit as often as we can." Princess Sparkle suddenly looked up at Megan. "There's..." She turned around and galloped inside the castle. She emerged a few minutes later with a violet-coated unicorn foal on her back, forelegs wrapped around her neck. "The Big Brother ponies visited us a few months ago. About... fifteen months ago." She looked away. "Megan, it breaks my heart, but as with Celestia and Luna, this is no place for my daughter to be raised."

Megan swallowed. She blinked several times as tears stung her eyes. "Are you sure?"

"No, but I know of nothing else to do."

A sigh escaped Megan's lips. She looked over one shoulder, then the other as Wind Whistler and Applejack walked up. She gently placed Luna on Applejack's back and Celestia on Wind Whistler before taking the foal. "What's her name?"

"Little Sparkle," Princess Sparkle said, gasping slightly. She leaned in and nuzzled Little Sparkle kissing her on the forehead right below the horn. "You'll be going to a big estate, with lots of other ponies to play with and big fields to run and gallop in, my little one. Mommy has a big castle to look after, and the Heart to keep safe. This isn't a place for a growing pony. I'll be by, Little Sparkle."

Little Sparkle returned the nuzzle. "I love you, Mommy."

Princess Sparkle shuddered. "I... love you too," she said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Megan turned away as Fizzy trotted up. She placed Little Sparkle on her back and curtsied to the Princess Ponies. "What will you do, now?"

Princess Primrose looked to the castle. "We shall guard the Heart, Megan. And as we guard it, it guards us." She turned and walked back to the castle, the others following her. Princess Sparkle spared one last glance before turning away.


"I'm certain she would say no thanks were needed," Celestia said, voice thick with emotion. She looked around and smiled. "Well, day after tomorrow, Ponyville? I'll see you then."

The image wavered before fading away. Princess Sparkle turned away from the Heart and trotted up to a shelf carved in the cavern wall. Six pointed hats sat on it. Her horn glowed slightly and each hat floated off the shelf, landing on the poll of each Princess Pony. "Well, what do you think? It has to have come back in style again!"

"And gone out of style again several dozen times," Princess Tiffany retorted. She tossed her head about, but the hat remained firmly in place. She snorted and stamped the ground. "We'll look ridiculous!"

Princess Sparkle tilted her head a bit. "But Luna loves the hats almost as much as those things she wears on her hooves. What did she call them... shocks?" She looked around. "Shocks... socks? Something that begins with 's'?" She looked around as the others filed out. "What? The last time we had to worry about clothing was the coronation!"


The doorbell rang and Mike walked over. He glanced through the peephole to confirm who was outside before opening the door, revealing a gangly teenager wearing a sweater and carrying an insulated bag. "Delivery," the teen said, voice cracking. He cleared his throat. "I mean, pizza delivery," he said in a forced baritone. "Two cheese and one pepperoni."

Mike smirked and rolled his eyes. "Hello, Jimmy." He looked out across the front yard at the van parked in front of the lawn. "I see you got the flat fixed from last week."

Jimmy nodded. "Oh, yeah." He craned his neck around and peeked behind Mike. "Say, Danielle isn't around, is she? I just wanted to know if—"

Mike placed his hand on the doorjamb, right at Jimmy's eye level and glared down at the teen. "My daughter is upstairs finishing her homework, and making sure she gets it done on time."

Megan, cell phone in hand, ducked her head into the living room from the kitchen. "Honey, just pay for the pizza." She waved with her free hand. "Oh, hello, Jimmy!"

Mike swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing slightly. "Yes, dear." He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He pulled out a pair of twenties. "How much?"

Jimmy reached behind him and pulled a billpad from his back pocket. He flipped through some pages on it before coming to the right order. "Ah, thirty-six dollars and seventy-seven cents." he took the money and pulled out a change purse. "Now, then. Carry the two..."

A groan came from Mike and he held up his hand. "It's all right, Jimmy. Keep the change." He took the pizza boxes and shut the door. Mike gasped slightly as the heat radiated from the boxes and gripped it somewhat gingerly. He walked to the stairs leading to the bedrooms upstairs. "Kids, dinner!" he shouted before making his way to the kitchen.

Megan emerged from the kitchen, phone still in hand. "Beth, do I need to remind you about last week when I pulled a double shift on the trails? Or the time two weeks ago mucking out the stables even though it was past my rotation? Or the time before that—" She stopped and a grin slowly crossed her face. "Oh, don't worry! It'll only be for two weeks." The grin turned down into a straight line. "Yes, I'll come in Friday afternoon to fill out the paperwork. Yes... yes. All right. Bye, Beth." She cradled the cell phone in her hand and turned it off. "Two weeks off!" she said, giggling and waving her fists about.

Mike walked back in and looked her over. "Well, any idea what you'll be doing there? Rescuing the ponies? Defeating that dragon... Starting a kingdom?" He rocked back and forth on his heels, a nervous smile on his face. "Just don't get too caught up in—"

Megan crossed the distance between them in a pair of heartbeats. "Mike, you're not all right," she stated. "You're a bit freaked out, like you said, but a bit more than you're letting on."

Mike sighed and hung his head. "How'd you figure?"

Megan pointed at his head. "Some sweat that wasn't there before. Also, I don't think I've heard you say 'yes, dear' in all the time we've been married." She let out a sigh. "Mike, I'm the same girl you met in high school, dated, fell in love with, married, and had two daughters with. I swear it." She raised her arm up and reached out to him. "There are just some... things I have to see through there."

Her husband took her hand and gripped it tightly, looking to the floor. "I just..." He groaned. "I don't want to lose you to this, Megan. It's almost scary how readily you jumped in to help Twilight there with—what was it—a dragon?"

Megan bit her lip, and her cheeks reddened slightly from the held-in laughter. "Yes, but dragons aren't too bad. Don't steal from their hoard and compliment their shiny scales. Although this one..." She trailed off and locked eyes with Mike, tightening her grip on his hand. "Mike, I swear to you—you, Danielle, Michelle—you won't 'lose me' to the ponies." She took a step forward. "But you know I won't abandon my friends either."

"I know, and that's one of the reasons I love you," he responded, leaning in and giving her a quick kiss. Mike glanced back to the door leading to the kitchen and outside. "You know... I've got the weekend off. So do the kids. Would it hurt to ask Twilight if the family could take a trip to Ponyville?" he asked, waggling his eyebrows.

Megan frowned. "Well..." She shrugged. "I can ask, but no guarantees. It wasn't easy for her to teleport me, Dash, and Spike back after all." She suddenly looked up as Danielle, Michelle, and Molly came down the stairs. "Hey, what took you so long?"

Molly shrugged as she rounded past her older sister. "Oh, you know. Girl talk and all."


"Kids, dinner!"

Danielle sat up from her slouch at her personal computer, eyes wide. She quickly saved her term paper and set it to 'sleep mode'. "Come on!" she hissed to Michelle, sitting on her bed. "We can't be late for dinner!"

Michelle rolled her eyes as she put down volume two of My Little Horsy and levered herself into a standing position. "What? Afraid Mom's gonna vaporize you with the Rainbow of Light?" she taunted, a sly grin on her face.

Danielle spun around and narrowed her eyes. "Quit it!" She waved at the book on Michelle's bed. "You and I both read the kind of stuff she did back then. Lord knows what else she encountered with those ponies!"

Molly suddenly appeared at the door, crossing her arms. "Actually, a lot of it was boring politics and some light construction for Canterlot. Megan did a symbolic digging with a shovel and the Mages started moving stuff around." She walked into the bedroom and looked down at the book on Michelle's bed. "Ah, The Ghost of Paradise Estate," she said, picking it up and thumbing through it. "I was there for that one." She looked back. "Your mother forgave the 'ghost'. She forgave a lot of the people who tried to kill her."

Both Michelle and Danielle looked away, their eyes on something else in the room. "It's just... imagine if Uncle Danny turned out to be Batman!" Danielle blurted out. She threw up her hands. "This is just so weird. We had a talking unicorn in the kitchen eating carrots and having a conversation with! And she's literate. With English!" She looked around. "How does that work?"

Molly shrugged. "Your mother brought over a lot of books for the ponies to study. Everything from history to engineering to architecture to art to cookbooks." She paused and rubbed her chin. "Although that barbecuing one might've been a bit much." She focused on Danielle. "Odd thing to think about."

Danielle snorted. "My major's in Anthropology, and my minor is in Folklore and Mythology. Aunt Molly, I can't help but think about these ponies and the civilization they built with their hands—I mean hooves." She held up her hands and looked at them. "With these, we built civilization. What did ponies use?"

"That telekinesis Twilight used?" Michelle rolled her eyes as both Molly and Danielle looked to her. "What? Did you forget her floating the carrots over?"

"There weren't just unicorns there. Pegasi and normal earth ponies lived in Ponyland too." Molly pinched the corners of her mouth and tugged down slightly. "Know how one of our Earth horses can undo the latch from a gate from the inside? They had mouths that were practically hands."

Danielle stared at Molly. "I want to go there— no, I need to go there." She clasped her hands together. "Please, Aunt Molly? Please help me to convince Mom to let me go there?"

Molly's mouth opened, closed then she rolled her eyes. She glanced to Michelle. "What about you?"

Michelle bit her lip and blushed slightly. "Cute ponies?"

There was a moment of silence before Molly brushed past the two and stepped out of the room. "You two are so your mother's daughters." She looked back. "Come on, food's getting cold." She led the two downstairs and past Megan and Mike.

Megan looked at them as they walked by. "Hey, what took you so long?"

Molly's shoulders bounced. "Oh, you know. Girl talk and all."


Spike stifled a yawn as he observed Twilight running back and forth between several sheets of paper suspended in the air through her telekinesis. He rubbed his bleary eyes. "Twilight, are you done yet? You've been at this for hours!"

Twilight glanced back and her head drooped. "I'm sorry, Spike." She trotted over to one of the windows in the first floor of the library and looked out at the night. "Wow. Old habits die hard." She turned back and walked over to Spike. "Here, let me help you get to bed. Owlowiscious will help me out." She stood by Spike's side all the way up to the second floor and the bedroom he shared with Twilight. She tucked him in before galloping down. Several of Megan's books floated over and they opened, pages turning. "Okay..."

She glanced up as a Tawny owl circled above. She focused on a book on one of the upper shelves. "Owlowiscious, could you please get Ancient Equestrian History and the Mag'ne, please?"

The owl hooted and flapped his wings, flying up to the shelf. He gingerly grabbed the spine with his claws, letting the weight aid in his descent down to Twilight, letting go as the tome glowed with her telekinesis.

She flipped open the book while a quill dipped into an inkwell on a desk and began scribbling out notes. Several other quills moved on other pieces of paper, dividing Twilight's concentration and straining her magical abilities in ways not accustomed to. So engrossed was she, the subtle pop and flash of a teleport went unnoticed-until a voice shattered her reverie.

"Twilight, am I disturbing you?"

Every quill broke, spilling ink. The books flew, smacking into walls and knocking over horsehead statues. Twilight jumped almost a meter into the air, coat standing on end and letting out a shriek of fear. She landed and whirled about, coming face to face with, "Princess Luna!" she exclaimed, suddenly dropping down and bowing. "I'm so sorry!"

Luna swallowed and stepped forward. She reached out with a hoof and gently tapped Twilight on the shoulder. "Oh, Twilight. Please don't bow to me! I... I don't want that." She looked around at the broken quills and scattered books and her expression fell. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" Her horn glowed slightly and the quills hovered in the air, spilled ink flowing off the paper and into the inkwells while the tips reattached themselves. She smiled at the repairs before turning her attention to Twilight. "I bring news, but first an apology. Affairs of state have been a bit draining on Celestia, but we should have gotten a response to you about your letter earlier. And for that, I formally apologize." And with that, she dipped her head low, angling her horn to the ground.

Twilight straightened herself and returned the gesture. "And I formally accept your apology."

Luna raised her head. "Celestia sent word to Spykoran the Old about the dragon in the Everfree Forest." She turned and walked over to one of the windows, looking out. "He'll be here the day after tomorrow, but in case something happens between now and then, do not hesitate to call upon us for help."

Twilight nodded. "I think he thinks we're dead, having seen the balloon incinerate." She dipped her head slightly. "Still, thank you, Princess."

Luna turned back. She looked past Twilight at several of the books. They floated up and she looked at the titles. "Weighty reading for such a young pony," she said, chuckling. "Ah, history. One of my favorite subjects. The turn of the wheel, the ticking of the clock as future becomes present, present past, and past legend and myth. The same acts played out again and again." She stared off. "I had a friend. He'd indulge me by reading old books..."


Danny looked down at the tiny alicorn filly and the book near her hooves. "Luna, come on. I got a test!" He shifted as she looked up with wide, pleading eyes. "Oh, all right." He scooped her up in his arms and carried her to a chair, setting Luna down in his lap and opening the book. "The History of World War II." He shook his head. "I cannot believe this..."

The voice of his sister caught Danny's attention. "Smile!" Megan shouted. He and Luna looked up just as she snapped a picture of the two...


Luna sighed. "Twilight, you have met Megan," she stated. "She is... an old friend of ours. Of our entire society." She began pacing, gilded hooves echoing. "It's complex, and I'm not sure how much I should say without her present." She stopped and faced Twilight. "What has she told you?"

Twilight swallowed. She looked over at the books and several floated over. "Not just what she told me, but what she wrote." She sat back on her haunches. "I mean she said the last time she was here was twenty years ago, but the things she speaks of are ancient history—literally!" She shook her head. "It makes no sense! To know of the founding of Cloudsdale, of Canterlot, and Tirac the Abomination, and the Smooze, and—" Her eyes suddenly went wide and she leapt back to her hooves. "She must be immortal!"

Luna shook her head. "No, Twilight. What's going on is... odd, to say the least. Tell me, did time seem to flow the same when you were with her in her world?" At Twilight's furious nodding, Luna rubbed her chin. "Such as it was in the old times, but now for so much time to have pass for us and so relatively little for her?" Her expression fell. "Oh, my."

Twilight's ears perked up. "What?"

Luna paced a bit. "In the old days, a rainbow bridge connected our two worlds. Perhaps..." The alicorn shook her head. "No, not now. Twilight, does Megan have any family? Any children, any... siblings?"

"Yes," Twilight replied. "A husband, two daughters and a sister and brother." She tilted her head. "They're rather nice although one of the daughters—Michelle—is a bit..." She looked back at her tail, and it swished in the air. "Anyway... may I ask why, Princess?"

Luna chuckled. "Yes, you may ask. And you did." She dipped her head slightly. "Celestia wishes to extend an invitation to her and her family to visit Ponyville. Hopefully within the next two days?" She grinned, her eyes shifting back and forth but never meeting Twilight's own eyes.

Twilight gulped. "I can invite them, but, Princess, I had trouble teleporting Rainbow Dash, Spike and Megan over. Humans are a lot bigger than that!" She kicked at the wood floor. "I don't think I can teleport them all over, unless in groups. Two at a time might be the limit." A smile crept across her face. "I'll ask them."

Luna beamed. She spread her wings out and flapped them briefly. "Thank you, Twilight. I promise, your questions will be answered, but at the proper time and with the proper audience. For now, though, I will simply tell you that Megan is a friend, and someone you can most certainly trust. She was—is—a dear friend of Celestia and myself." She suddenly cocked her head to the side and looked up past the ceiling and roof. "But I must go. The night needs me." She dipped low to one foreleg. "Thank you for your time, Twilight. And thank you.. for everything you've done."

Twilight smiled and returned the bow. "Thank you, Princess." She deftly rose, but Luna was gone, the only hint she was there a blue wisp of smoke lingering in the air.


Luna flashed into sight near the edge of the Everfree Forest. She looked out at the Celestia-forsaken land and her heart ached at the damage wrought a millennium ago. All my fault, she thought. She glanced up, keen eyes picking out the hole in the sky. Her horn sparked and a long, thin beam of light shot from it, strobing over the hole. She probed the tear in time and space, letting her connection to the world guide her. Magic leaked through to Earth, and she counted the ticks on the celestial clock, there and in Equestria. A second is a second. Time flows the same length and rate, but...

As she wound her magic back, she felt the seconds speeding up, coming into alignment with Equestria. So, we do move faster. She turned from the hole, a small smile on her face, but it quickly left. She suddenly vanished, a blue mist taking her place as Luna suddenly crossed over, winding through the hole. She reformed her body and touched her hooves down in the Richards's backyard. The night wrapped around her body, shielding her from sight, sound, and smell. She trotted forward, peering inside a glass door and spying what could only be Megan, Danny, Molly, and Megan's husband.

The four were sitting at a table, mugs of steaming liquid in Danny's and Megan's hands, while Molly held a metal can. Luna's heart ached as Danny grabbed the wheels on his chair and pushed back from the table, spinning around. His gaze passed by Luna's position, and he paused, brow furrowing for an instant. Luna's heartbeat quickened, but he continued, grabbing something from the counter and spinning back to the table.

Luna observed the quartet for a few more minutes before changing back to mist, flying across the hole, and landing back in Ponyville. She looked back up at the moon and spread her wings, jumping up and soaring across the sky in time with the heavenly body.


"Danny, you all right?"

Danny looked up from Megan as he poured cream into his coffee. He glanced back at the sliding door at his right and shrugged. "Just thought I saw something." He waved her off. "It's nothing."