• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 35,904 Views, 1,329 Comments

The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds - RK_Striker_JK_5



An old legend from Equestria's past returns, but is there a place for her in this new world?

  • ...
54
 1,329
 35,904

Chapter Six

The relative calm of an early evening in Ponyville was disturbed as Megan burst from the edge of the Everfree Forest, panting. She dropped to her knees, shoulders heaving. "I... need to... get back into-into shape!" she gasped out. Her face was red and sweat plastered her blond hair to her head. She held up her arm and checked her watch. "And if time flows the same here and at home, my kids got out of school an hour ago, got home, and found the note." She rolled her eyes and her head dropped. "It's gonna be so awkward back home."

Dash flew over as the rest emerged behind her. She waved a hoof in the air. "Come on!" she said, sighing. "How awkward can it be that you left to help someone?"

Megan looked up and turned her head, glaring at Dash. "Holes in the fabric of time and space being created by a supersonic pegasus and leaving a solid rainbow are not everyday occurrences back home!" She rose to her feet, legs still shaky. Megan placed her rifle on the ground, pulled off her backpack, and pulled an energy bar from a pouch, opening it up and taking a bite. "Not to mention trying to explain where I've been." She gestured around the outskirts of the town, even as other ponies began wandering out to see all the commotion.

Twilight galloped up to Megan. She turned around and stared up at the sky, squinting. "There it is," she said as she caught a glimpse of the hole in the sky. She looked to Megan. "Are you ready?"

A voice rang out, catching everyone's attention. "Now hold it right there!" Mayor Mare shouted, walking forward. "What's been going on, Twilight?" She asked, gesturing to the hole in the sky with a tan hoof, then the patch of ash still covering the ground. "We've had reports of sonic rainbooms, the dragon you said would be 'no problem' incinerating the town balloon, and..." Her voice trailed off as she took in Megan, her eyes widening behind her glasses. "Hello."

Megan grinned back at Mayor Mare, blinking twice. "Hello!" she said, waving. She picked up her backpack and rifle and knelt down. "Twilight, now would be a good time."

Twilight looked to Megan, then to Mayor Mare, then to Megan again. Finally, she craned her neck around. "Pinkie Pie!" she shouted. As soon as the pink pony appeared, she looked back to the Mayor and chuckled. "Hehe, I would love to explain what's been going on, but circumstances beyond my control dictate that someone else will have to fill you in." She wrapped a foreleg around the Mayor and one around Pinkie Pie, drawing them close together. "I'm sure you understand. Places to go, things to do!" She let go of the two and backed up. "Pinkie Pie, please fill in Mayor Mare with what's happened."

Pinkie Pie bounced up and down even as the Mayor backed up. "OOOHHHHH! I can't wait to fill you in on everything that's happened!" The Mayor turned on her hind legs, but Pinkie somehow appeared right in front of her, sidling up to her. "Well, I was born to the Pie family in a rock farm near the border with the Dragon Clans! We were Mane-nites and worked tilling the soil for gems for the dragons! Now..."

As Mayor Mare hung her head and walked off, Pinkie Pie bounced alongside her. Applejack looked to Twilight and arched an eyebrow. "You realize she's gonna evict you from the library, right?"

Twilight snorted and glanced to her left at the far-off city of Canterlot. "No, she won't." She looked to Spike. "Staying?"

Spike shrugged and waved her off. "Hey, I don't think even the princess can send letters to where you're going." He suddenly ran forward and threw his stubby arms around Twilight's neck and crest, hugging her. "Just be careful."

Twilight leaned into the hug and smiled. "I will." She looked to Megan, who was staring at Spike with watery eyes. "Megan?"

Megan cleared her throat and wiped her eyes. "Just... some dust." She retrieved her backpack and rifle and knelt down. "Ready." Her mouth twitched slightly. "And thanks."

Twilight closed her eyes and concentrated on where she was now and where she wanted to go. A mental image of Megan's yard formed in her mind. There was a brief flash of light and the two vanished from Ponyville-and Equestria.

Applejack glanced up at the sky and the sun from underneath her hat. "I sure hope you'll be all right, sugarcube. Wherever you are." She looked over her shoulder at Pinkie Pie as she was bouncing around the Mayor, who had hunkered down and had her forelegs over her ears. "Dash?"

Dash nodded and flew over, grabbing Pinkie's tail in her teeth and dragging her back into Ponyville proper, leaving a rather large trench in the ground. Pinkie stared off for a second before holding up a hoof and waving at the Mayor. "Okay, then! We'll have that party tomorrow! Lemme pencil it in between Wynona's birthday and the opening of the new radio station and Vinyl Scratch's ten-week anniversary of her show!"


Twilight and Megan blinked back into existence. Twilight shook her head and batted at her ear with her hoof. "Oh... not as bad as last time." She looked around at the small, fenced-in yard. She spotted the solidified rainbow and looked up, seeing the hole in the sky. "Megan, is this right?"

Megan stood up and looked around, spinning about. "Yeah, it's—" She stopped and her eyes went wide as voices from inside the house drifted out. "Oh, no!"

"... Danny, I am not calling you a liar. Did I say that? We've known each other since high school. Heck, you introduced Megan to me! It's just..." There was a pause before Mike's voice began again. "You and Molly are saying that Megan was a superhero when she was twelve?"

A female voice called out. "Actually, more like thirteen." There was a pause. "What? She was!"

Megan swallowed. She looked down at Twilight. "I have to go inside," she half-whispered. A crazy smile lit up her features. "Looks like you'll be getting your explanation after all!" She took a step forward, but Twilight held up a foreleg, blocking her. "What?"

Twilight bit her lip and sighed. "Megan... you've been to Equestria before, haven't you?" She chuckled nervously and looked away. "It was your reactions to everything around you, as if you've seen them before, and they changed." She looked back up at Megan. "Things familiar are gone, and new stuff is in their place."

Megan's shoulders and entire upper body slumped. She patted Twilight on the top of her head, messing her mane up slightly. "I'm sorry, Twilight. It was just so... awkward for me. And I didn't know how you'd react, and there didn't seem to be any real time for lengthy discourse on anything what with Applejack missing and the dragon you told me about and now..." She motioned to the sliding door that led to the kitchen. "Twilight, would you like to meet my family?"

"I'd be delighted to," Twilight said, smiling.

"Great!' Megan exclaimed. She reached out for the handle to the sliding door, but paused. "I should warn you, the girls like cute things. Well... they love cute things. Danielle will try to hide it, being the oldest, but Michelle?" She rolled her eyes. "Doesn't help both were raised on tales of my adventures over there. And they still own little plush dolls and— you know what? Let's go." And with that, she slid open the door. "Hi, everyone!"


Mike paced about in his kitchen, tool belt laid on the back of a chair, but his hardhat was still on his head of full black hair with gray tinge. He looked back at the table and one of his oldest friends there. "Danny, I am not calling you a liar. Did I say that? We've known each other since high school. Heck, you introduced Megan to me! It's just..." He paused to collect his jumbled thoughts before beginning again. "You and Molly are saying that Megan was a superhero when she was twelve?"

Molly, Megan's younger sister by three years, spoke up. "Actually, more like thirteen." She laughed softly, tugging at her light-blue shirt, but stopped as everyone looked to her. "What? She was!"

Danny held up a hand. "Mike, I know this is hard to believe, and I know you're not calling me a liar. But it really happened." He leaned forward, scooting as far as possible in his wheelchair in order to reach out and pick up a photo album off of the table, holding it up. "We've got pictures from the eighties, which was before photoshop!"

Danielle and Michelle sat across from him, Danielle's brown eyes on the photo album. "Dad, I don't think they're lying. It is way too elaborate for some dumb prank. And Mom wouldn't do something this insane." She looked around at everyone. "Right?"

The sliding door suddenly opened, drawing everyone's attention to Megan as she entered, who was wearing muddy boots, a jacket, fingerless gloves, and a backpack while holding her personal M1894 rifle slung over her shoulder. She held up a hand and waved weakly, smiling. "Hi, everyone!"

Mike was by her side in an instant, wrapping his arms around her in a hug. "Oh, thank god!" He pulled back slightly and looked her over. "Are you all right? Where have you been? It is..." He trailed off as movement registered in his peripheral vision. He looked down as a purple unicorn with violet hair walked in. "Hello?"

The unicorn raised a hoof and coughed into it. "Hello!" she said, grinning. "My name is Twilight Sparkle, a resident of the land of Equestria." She tapped her horn. "As you can see, I am a unicorn, and I am very happy to meet you all!" She blinked several times, and her smile fell slightly. Twilight looked up to Megan. "Am I doing it right?"

Danny leaned back in his wheelchair and slapped his forehead. "You went back," he stated. "After twenty years, you found your way back over the rainbow." He grabbed the wheels on his chair and pushed back from the table, angling to face Twilight. He looked down at her and held out a hand. "My name's Danny, Twilight. Nice to meet you."

Twilight's mouth set into a half-grin as she trotted over to Danny. "Pleased to meet you too, Danny," she said, placing her hoof in his hand. The question on her mind stuck in her throat and she swallowed it down. She looked to Megan and Mike. "And you must be Mike!" she said, forcing cheer into her voice as she extended a hoof to him.

Mike took a step away from his wife. He looked down at Twilight and shrugged. "I guess this explains where you got all the material for your stories," he said, looking back at Megan and half-smiling. He crouched down and gripped her hoof, shaking it. "Thanks for looking after Megan, too. She is such a magnet for trouble."

Megan scowled as he stood back up and swatted him at the shoulder. "Hey!" She leaned in close to him. "You're taking this a lot better than I thought you would," she whispered.

Mike turned his head and looked down his nose at her. "Megan, honey, I learned a long time ago how weird the world can get. This is up there, and I'm gonna have some questions for you, but Danny and Molly have filled me in a lot about your adventures. It's just..." His voice trailed off and he looked away, red coloring his already-tanned and weathered cheeks. "I just don't wanna blubber like the idiot I feel like at the moment."

Megan touched his chin and guided his face back. She leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. "And I'll be happy to answer all your questions, honey." She looked over and saw Danielle and Michelle still sitting at the table. Both wore identical expressions of wide-eyed, open-mouthed shock. She stepped over. "Girls, are you—"

Michelle suddenly bolted straight out of her chair and turned, running out of the kitchen and up a set of stairs in the living room. Danielle, meanwhile, ran into the living room and to a large bookcase against the wall. She grabbed a handful of hardcover books and turned back, dashing for the kitchen and dumping them on the table. "Are these..." She held up one and showed off the cover. It was a blue pegasus flying over a grassy field with the title 'My Little Horsey' on the top. She waved her hand frantically and grunted, finally smacking the side of her head. "Did you do all this stuff, Mom?"

Megan looked down slightly and bit her lip. She looked back up at her oldest and nodded. "Yes, Danielle." Her gaze drifted to Molly, then to Danny. She wiped her eyes. "It was fun, but sometimes—"

Michelle ran back into the kitchen, holding a small pink case. She dropped down in front of Twilight and opened it, pulling out several ribbons and a brush. "May I brush your hair? Pleeeease?" she asked, batting her eyes. "I won't tug, Twilight! It'll be nice and smooth!" She reached around with a ribbon to Twilight's twitching tail. "This would look great on you!"

Twilight's mouth dropped open. "I..." She jumped forward. "Hey!"

Danielle shuffled over to the refrigerator. "You know... where are our manners?" She opened up a drawer and pulled out a bag of carrots. "Are you hungry?" She opened the bag and pulled out a carrot stick, looking like it had just been pulled from a garden. "I can peel it if you want, but the horses at the ranch don't mind."

Megan slapped the palm of her hand into her face and walked over to Danielle. She placed a hand on her shoulder and guided her away. "Danielle, Twilight probably—"

"Actually, I think I am a little hungry," Twilight said. The carrot floated out of Danielle's hands and down to Twilight's mouth, where she took a bite out of it. She chewed and swallowed before telekinetically pulling a chair away from the table and hopping up onto it, struggling a bit before sitting properly and leaning forward. She looked up at Megan and another chair slid out by her magic. "Okay, Megan. No dragons, no missing friends, and I'm sure your family might wanna hear this too." Another carrot floated over to Twilight. "And thanks, Danielle," she said, smiling at the oldest daughter in the room.

Danielle beamed. "You're welcome!"

Megan sat down and steepled her fingers together. She opened her mouth, but a hand on her shoulder startled her. She looked up and saw Mike standing next to her with a glass of water in his hand. "You look a bit parched," he said, half-smiling.

She took the water as Mike sat down next to her. She took one of the books Michelle had brought in and held it up. "It was about... twenty-nine years ago," she began, showing the cover. "I was at Little Big Horse Trails with my horse, TJ, when a pegasus fell out of the sky and landed in a well." Her gaze drifted off to the right, not quite focused anymore as memories dredged their way to the surface. "I get her out and she simply said 'hello', as if appearing like that was the most normal thing in the world." A tiny giggle escaped her lips. "She asked me to hop on and said her friends needed help with someone called 'Tirac'."

Mike's eyes widened. "Tirac?"

Michelle and Danielle both swallowed and shifted in their chairs. "Tirac?" both said.

Twilight simply scratched her forehead with a hoof. "Tirac? Now where have I heard that name before?"

Mike leaned back in his chair. "Megan... that thing? When the kids read that book, they had nightmares for weeks after! And you..." He waved his hand around a bit. "And you faced off against that thing?"

"Faced off and beat it." Molly smiled and looked over to Megan, who snapped her head around. "And that was just the beginning."

Twilight leaned forward. "Megan, may I see that book?" The book soon floated over and opened up. Twilight skimmed the words, eyes growing wider while her pupils shrank with each flip of a page. It finally lowered to the table, and she swallowed. "So... how long ago did you say you were over in Equestria?"

Megan scratched her chin and arched an eyebrow. "It's been about twenty years since I was there. Ever since..." Her gaze almost involuntarily went to Danny, but she looked away sharply. "Why?" she asked, voice cracking.

Mike's eyes went from his wife to his oldest friend, but he remained silent for the moment.

Several other books floated over to Twilight and she skimmed through several of them. "Just wondering..." She hopped off the chair. "Would you mind if I borrowed these for the night? I just have a few... typos to correct and things to check!" She forced a grin onto her face. "Please?"

Megan stared at her for a second before slowly nodding. "All right. But I'd like them back tomorrow."

Mike spoke up. "Wait, don't you have work tomorrow?"

Megan shrugged. "Beth practically owes me the deed to the ranch by now, Mike. I can well afford to take some personal time off."

Twilight nodded as the books stacked themselves behind her. "Say nine o'clock?"

Megan nodded and rose from her chair, Mike, Danielle, Michelle, and Molly following. They walked out of the kitchen and into the backyard. Twilight stopped before the rainbow and looked up at the hole in the sky. By now the sun had dipped low into the sky, casting shadows across the land. The books landed near her hooves, and her horn began glowing, building up energy. She looked back at the family. "It was nice meeting you," Twilight said. "And I'll be over at nine AM sharp." There was a sudden burst of light, and both Twilight and the books vanished.

Danielle looked to her mother and held a hand up to her mouth, coughing into it. "Gee, Mom!' she said between forced hacks. "I—cough!—don't feel so—hack—well! Maybe I should stay home from school tomorrow and..." She nudged Michelle in the ribs, who also began coughing.

Molly's entire body convulsed from laughter. "They are so your daughters!" she said, wiping her eyes with one hand and slapping Megan on the back with the other. "Not like in our day, when we were fighting the Witches or the Smooze or bringing the Ponies of the Plains in for a talk, right?"

Megan narrowed her eyes, first casting a glare at her sister, then at her daughters. "I believe you have a term paper due next week, Danielle?" She jabbed a finger at the sliding door. "Inside, you two. You've got homework and chores to do."

Danielle and Michelle trudged back inside, followed by Molly, Megan, and Mike. Danny, still at the table, checked his watch. "So, what time's dinner?" he asked, chuckling.

Megan stopped in her tracks and slapped her forehead. "Gimme... " She looked to the clock and rolled her eyes before pulling out her cell phone. She pressed a few buttons and held it up to her ear. "Yes? Yes, I'd like to order delivery."

Mike, meanwhile, opened the refrigerator and handed Danny a can of soda. "So..." His voice trailed off as he sat back down. "How was it there?"

Danny shrugged. "It could get really weird, but I made some good friends over there." He opened the can and took a sip. "There was this one filly that was absolutely enraptured every time I read her one of my old history books." He chuckled, but then sobered up. "I wonder if she's all right. Or about the others." He looked to Mike. "Twenty-nine years is a long time in Dream Valley. The monsters there could be quite mean."

Mike nodded as his wife sat down. "Okay, pizza will be here in twenty minutes!" She looked at the two men. "Sorry, boys, but no meatloaf tonight."

Mike thumped his chest and leaned back in his chair, rolling his eyes. "Danny, help me!" he cried out, flailing. "I need my meatloaf!"

Megan bit her lip and swatted at him. "After the day I've had you're lucky I dialed the number!" She paused and sighed, scooting her chair close to Mike. "Mike, listen, I know this is a lot to take in all at once." She reached out and took his hand, squeezing. "If you have any questions, just please ask. All right?"

Mike looked over and returned the squeeze. "Hey, no problem. He slid his own chair closer and wrapped an arm around Megan, pulling her close. "It's just a bit... much to learn my wife was a miniature Wonder Woman, that's all." He barked a short laugh before clearing his throat. "I always knew you were something special, honey. Just not how much!"

"I wasn't that special," Megan murmured.

"I beg to differ," Danny interjected, leaning forward with a serious expression on his face. "You set the foundations for something, Megan. I don't know what, but if Twilight is any indication, things turned out all right there. And they have you to thank for it."

Megan wiped her eyes and smiled at Danny. "Thanks." She glanced around before leaning in. "You would not believe how big Canterlot is! It's a city, not a fort!"

Danny's brow furrowed. "So the Mages of the Rock got their act together? About time!"


Twilight and the books appeared once more on the other side of the hole. She found Spike, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash still there. Applejack trotted up and threw her forelegs around Twilight's neck in a hug. "I'm glad you're all right!"

Twilight leaned into the hug. "So am I." She looked around. "Where are the others?"

Dash flew over. "Fluttershy had to get home to take care of her animals, and Rarity still has a big order to fill for next week. As for Pinkie..." She shrugged. "Applejack dragged her back, but she went galloping after the Mayor again and..."


Pinkie Pie placed a folder into a filing cabinet with her mouth and headbutted it close. "All done!" she said, turning back to Mayor Mare. She hopped over to the now-immaculate desk. "Anything else, Mayor?"

Mayor Mare leaned forward on her desk, reveling in the lack of papers and general tidiness. "No, Pinkie. I'll make sure you get a rather large check for this." She let out a contented sigh. "I swear, I'd hire you from the Cakes if possible. You're the best secretary I ever had!"

Pinkie's head twisted around. "And stop organizing parties? No way!" She hopped over to the door. "See you tomorrow!"


Twilight shuddered slightly, but focused on Rainbow. "Dash, do you know anything about Cloudsdale's history? And if so, what?"

Dash's head leaned back slightly. She landed on the dirt and sat back on her haunches. "Cloudsdale was founded one-thousand, five-hundred-two years ago by the Sky Clans of the Peak in cooperation with the Ponies of the Plains and the rest of the Equestrian Alliance. The council consisted of Bloodwing, his brothers Deathmane, Killhoof Red, and his wife Firefly, who was from Paradise Estate. Although that part's fact, legend has it the Mag'ne gave the pegasi their weather-controlling powers, so they could form the clouds and shape them into solid objects."

Applejack, Twilight, and Spike stared at her, open-mouthed. "How'd you know that?" Applejack asked after a minute.

Dash looked at her. "What? Are you joking? It's where I grew up! Of course I'd know the history." She looked to Twilight. "Why?"

A book floated up in front of Twilight and the pages flickered. She finally came to a part of the book and skimmed the text. "Megan says she came to Equestria twenty-nine years ago. I find that dubious at best, especially now." She flipped the book around. "This talks about the Sky Clans, Bloodwing, and Firefly!"

Dash's mouth dropped open and her eyes bugged out. "No. Way!" she exclaimed. "Are there pictures in there?" The pages flipped to an illustration of a pair of pegasi. "Twilight... those look just like Bloodwing and Firefly!"

The book lowered to the ground and closed. Twilight pawed at the ground and began pacing. "So, what's this mean? Twenty-nine years to her is close to fifteen-hundred for us?" She stopped and her face contorted in rage. "I need answers!" The books suddenly went flying in all directions.

Spike walked up and wrapped his stubby arms around her. "Don't worry, Twilight. I'm sure Princess Celestia will be able to help!"

Twilight sighed. She looked up, spotting Canterlot in the distance. "I sure hope you're right, Spike."

Applejack suddenly cleared her throat. "Twilight, what's that?" she asked, pointing at her dock with a hoof.

Twilight twisted around while Spike looked. She gasped as she saw a big purple bow tied at the base of her tail. "Ho, boy..." She groaned. "I need a drink."


Celestia flashed into existence in the rather cluttered room. She looked out the window and saw Luna's night outside and admired her sister's lovely handiwork for a moment before looking to the lone occupant in the room. "Excellent. I apologize for— no, stop bowing! No bowing now! And be quiet for my sake!"

She waited for the other pony to be silent before pacing about. "I have need of your special talent, my young pony." She explained her plan. "... And of course you and your employers will be well compensated. Now, can you get it ready for tomorrow? Just nod if you can!" At the nod, she bit her lip to stop the laughter bubbling up inside. "Oh, this will be good. Very good. I shall speak to the other two momentarily." She leaned in and spread her wings out. "I trust I have your silence on the matter? Yes, good." She closed her wings back close to her body and nodded. "Excellent. This has been a long time coming." And with that, she vanished back into the ether.