• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 35,790 Views, 1,329 Comments

The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds - RK_Striker_JK_5



An old legend from Equestria's past returns, but is there a place for her in this new world?

  • ...
53
 1,329
 35,790

Chapter twenty-seven

Fireworks exploded in the sky over Canterlot, briefly turning the night sky as bright as day. The stars sparkled, shimmering as if alive. The moon hung low, hanging over the palace. Pegasi dressed in the uniforms of the Wonderbolts sped through the air, trailing smoke or flame behind them and weaving intricate patterns. The streets were filled with ponies, zebras and a dozen other races, all mingling together.

Megan looked out her carriage's window as it slowly made its way down one of the larger thoroughfares. She let out a slow whistle and shook her head. “Okay, this is not a glorified picnic anymore.” She leaned back and looked up at the carriage's ceiling. “How far they've come.”

Danny reached across from his seat and gently squeezed Megan's hand. He opened his mouth, but a particularly bright and loud fireworks display drew his eyes to the window. “Sure as heck beats that time Surprise, Spike and I got into that barrel of the Moochik's own fireworks that one Gala.”

Danielle, who was leaning out a window and snapping picture after picture with her phone's camera, turned to Danny and slid her thumb across her phone's screen. “What happened, Uncle Danny?”

Before Danny could speak, Molly, sitting across from Danielle, reached out and clasped a hand around her niece's phone. “It's a rather short story involving a bit too much cider, an unlocked crate of the Moochik's and a dare that I can't remember the details of.” She looked to Danny from across the aisle. “I hesitate to ask, but what was the bet you three had?”

Danny blinked. He rubbed his chin in thought before finally speaking. “I think... whether we could shoot King Blueblood's crown off his head without damaging his horn. Or was it Bloodwing's helm?” He shrugged. “One of the two. Damned if I can remember.” He let out a sigh. “I miss Surprise,” he muttered, blinking rapidly.

The carriage door suddenly swung open, Blues and Caramel standing there. “We have arrived,” Blues announced, stepping back and bowing his head while Caramel reached out and swung down the ramp, allowing everyone to exit properly.

Megan stopped in front of the two stallions and curtsied. “Thank you very much for the ride,” she said to the pair. She waited for the other five to express their thanks, chuckling slightly as Mike gently bumped his knuckles against Caramel's hoof. “You two sure you don't want to attend?”

Caramel looked up at her, blushing slightly. “Ah, Miss Megan, you really are the Giver of Gifts, I tell you.” He shook his head. “I'm fine with missing out on such a fancy shindig, there. Besides.” His gaze drifted to Blues and he smiled. “I've got all the company I'll be needing on the walk home, I tell you.”

Molly suddenly grabbed Megan's forearm. “Wait, I just had a thought.”

Danny sniffed the air. “I thought I could smell something burning,” he remarked.

“Like I haven't heard that a million times before,” Molly muttered. She focused on Megan. “If Blues and Caramel are walking home – have fun!” she suddenly shouted, waving to the two stallions as they trotted off, “how are we getting home?”

Megan motioned to the sky. “Celestia arranged for a pair of chariots to ferry both our group and Twilight's back to Ponyville when we're ready to leave.” She pointed to the pumpkin carriages as they were towed down the street by earth ponies in fancy red vests. “Besides, Twilight's spell only lasts for a few hours. She needed to conserve her magic to teleport us back across the Rainbow Bridge.” Her brow furrowed. “Didn't I mention that? I thought I mentioned that.”

Molly lowered her head and looked at Megan down her nose. “No, I think that little detail slipped your mind.”

Mike's gaze slid from the gently bickering sisters to his older daughter, standing at the edge of the long path that led to Canterlot Palace itself and holding her phone up.. He walked up to her. “Danielle, honey, you all right?” he asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Danielle glanced back at her father. “Dad... how hard is it to pull off spontaneous choreography with people or ponies you've never met?”

Mike blinked. “I...” He slowly looked up, spotting Twilight, Rarity, Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie dancing about and singing. That in itself did not give him pause. About two dozen ponies doing line dances, backing choruses and music coming from somewhere did give him pause. His head darted around and he held a hand up to his forehead. He opened his mouth...

At the Gala, they sing in perfect pitch.

They pull it off without a hitch, right here at-

Mike slammed his hand over his mouth, eyes almost the size of saucers. Several of the ponies and a pair of okapis stopped behind him in midstep, unsure of what to do.

A rather dapper unicorn stallion in a tuxedo, top hat and tails trotted up to Mike, bowing his head almost to the sidewalk. “Mike Richards?” At Mike's nod he looked up, keeping his eyes on Mike but not meeting his eyes. “Is our accompaniment not to your liking, Mister Richards?”

Megan was by his side in an instant. She dropped down to one knee. “Hello, I'm sorry about this Mister...”

“Hat and Tails,” the unicorn replied, his cheeks turning red. “Oh, oh! You're the Mag'ne!” He dropped to one knee, several other ponies around him following suit. “It is an honor to meet you, Mag'ne! I hope the Gala, no, I hope Canterlot itself meets with your approval!” He looked back up, eyes shining. “Does it?” he whispered.

Megan reached out and gently stroked his mane. “Hat and Tails, Canterlot is more than I could ever dreamed of. What has been built here is incredible.” She placed her other hand on her chest. “But please, my name is Megan. The Mag'ne is a legend in time.” She chuckled slightly. “Do I feel like a legend to you?”

Hat and Tails' mouth moved for a moment. “Y-you seem like flesh, Mag-Megan,” he stuttered out. He looked up to her. “Did you really command Mount Eohippus to reshape itself?”

Megan snorted and rolled her eyes. “No, not really.” She motioned to the main entrance. “Now why don't you go and have some fun, Hat and Tails.” She smiled as the stallion bowed once more to her before looking to Mike, still with a hand over his mouth. “Mike, I think you're okay now. You can let go. All right?”

Mike swallowed and slowly dropped his hand from his mouth. He cleared his throat. “No singing?” He let out a breath and his shoulders slumped. “No singing.” He looked over as Danny rolled up. “How did you deal with this when you were coming to Ponyland regularly?”

Danny shrugged. “I used a lot of throat lozenges.” He looked back as Molly and Michelle joined the quartet. “So, we all ready for the Gala?” He leaned back, popping a wheelie and waving as several ponies stomped in approval.

Megan threaded her arm through Mike's and leaned against him slightly. “Ready?”

Mike shrugged. “As I'll ever be.” He leaned down slightly and kissed her, lingering slightly before pulling away. “Let's go!”

Michelle suddenly spoke up. “Wait, where did Twilight and her friends go?”

Molly pointed down to the entrance. “I think I saw them race ahead inside. Big Mac had a picnic basket in his teeth and Applejack was hitched up to her concession stand.” She let out a slow whistle as ponies gathered around the family. “I'm really hoping they just want autographs.” She raised a hand and waved, smiling weakly.

Megan's lips twitched, but she too waved. She and her family began walking along the carpeted path. “I swear, Celestia, possibly Luna, and I will have words about this,” she said through gritted teeth, even as flashbulbs went off.


Big Macintosh and Fluttershy made their way through the crowded halls of Canterlot Palace. The rugged earth pony led the way, his large, purposeful strides and the picnic basket gripped in his jaws parting the ponies and allowing him and his possible marefriend to quickly reach the back and their destination – the Royal Gardens.

The two stood there for a moment, breathing in the cool night air and sniffing the foliage. Fluttershy hopped into the air, looking around. “That's odd, where are all the animals?” She held a wing up to her forehead as she looked around.

Big Macintosh set the basket down underneath an elm tree. “Well, Fluttershy, maybe they're all asleep. I doubt most of them are nocturnal creatures. They’re all probably all tucked in, tryin' to get forty winks.”

Fluttershy landed and gently kicked at the grass. “Oh, darn,” she said. “You're absolutely right, Big Macintosh.” She let out a huff. “And I was so looking forward to seeing the fauna here.”

Big Mac walked over to her and gently nuzzled her mane, causing her wings to rustle slightly. “I'm real sorry to hear, Fluttershy. I know how much you were lookin' forward to seeing the animals here.” He waved a foreleg at the picnic basket. “I did pack a nice meal for us, though. I sure hope that can cheer you up some,” he said, his head drooping slightly.

Fluttershy's eyes watered. She leaned over and returned Big Mac's nuzzle. “Oh, Big Macintosh, I'm sorry!” She floated over to the basket and sniffed at it. “Oh, my! Are these...” She dropped to the ground and unwrapped the blanket covering the food. “They are!” She dug out a small carton. “Those wonderful apple fritters you made Thursday for our second date!”

Big Mac trotted over, grabbed the blanket with his teeth and tossed his head back, whipping the blanket out and allowing it to settle on the grass below the tree. “Yup,” he responded pulling out some food and a six-pack of bottles filled with cider. “I hope this is good enough to take your mind off not being able to see all those animals,” he said, his cheeks somehow turning redder than his coat.

Fluttershy settled down and, using her right hoof, opened a bottle of cider. “I may not be able to see the animals, but you're here with this wonderful food and drink.” She smiled as he sat down next to her. “As far as I'm concerned, this is already the best night ever!”


Twilight looked around, quickly spotting both Celestia and Luna at the top of a long flight of stairs. She threaded her way through the crowd beside the long line of ponies waiting to meet the Diarchs, until she stood just a few steps below the two alicorns. “Princess Celestia, Princess Luna!” she gasped out, grinning widely. “I'm so glad to see the both of you.” She leaned her head to the right, peering behind Luna. “Where's Cadance and Shining Armor? Have they arrived yet?”

Luna leaned her head down to Twilight's level. “Princess Mi Amore Cadenza-”

“Cadance,” Celestia said out the side of her mouth as she shook hooves with a pegasus.

Luna bit her lip, rolled her eyes and snorted, tussling her mane and almost blowing her decorative ear clip off. “Princess Cadance is mingling among the guests. Captain Armor had a short meeting with General Spanish Steel about security before the Gala and a briefing to give the Royal Guard, but he should be out with her mingling amongst the crowd.” She let out a soft sigh and scrapped a gilded hoof across the floor.

Twilight glanced down, then back up at the Princess of the Night. “Princess Luna, are you... all right?”

Celestia's eyes shifted to the left. “I'm terribly sorry,” she said to the next pony in the queue. She stepped back and swung around, gently nudging Luna over with a wing. She trotted a few steps away, Twilight following in her wake. The alicorn's horn glowed and a translucent barrier sprung up around them. “Thank you, Twilight.” she said, bowing down to her student. “That was very perceptive and kind of you to ask about Luna.” She glanced over her shoulder at Luna. “The last Gala Luna attended before... before, it was still in the 'glorified picnic' phase, as Megan put it. It was more pie and carnival than pomp and circumstance. She's had a bit of a difficult time adjusting, to be honest.”

Twilight's face fell. “I had no idea.” She scratched her chin with a hoof. “Then again, now that I think about it, there's probably a lot of culture shock with her.”

Celestia nodded. “Cadance and I have been helping her along, and Megan, Molly and Danny's return have helped her out a lot. Ponyville's acceptance of her was also a great boon to her self-esteem. But my dear sister still has a long road ahead of her.”

Any response was cut off as a hush fell over everyone in the room. Necks craned and heads turned to the entrance as Megan and her family entered. About a dozen ponies approached the sextet, their heads bowed low to them.

The barrier faded and Celestia stepped forward to the edge of the stairs. She spread her wings out and her horn lit up. “Everyone!” her voice boomed out, drawing everyone's attention to the Diarch of the Sun. “We wish to formally introduce to you Megan Richards and her family.” She walked down the stairs, Luna following in lockstep with her. The crowd parted before the alicorns as they walked up to Megan.

“This is Mike, her husband; Danny, her brother; Molly, her sister; and her two daughters, Danielle and Michelle,” Luna said, her voice carrying across the room as she pointed to each one in turn.

A voice sounded out from the crowd. “T-the Mag'ne?” a unicorn stallion stammered out, a mare beside him shrinking back slightly. “The Giver of Gifts? Defender of the Stable?”

Megan cleared her throat, gaining Celestia's attention for a moment. “We are going to have words later.” she growled out. She walked forward, but stopped halfway to the couple as everyone dropped their heads. “Please, I'm flesh and blood, just like you.” She held out a hand. “My name is Megan, Mister...”

“I am Lifestyles, and this is my wife Robin,” he said, motioning to her. “You're Megan, but the Mag'ne had many names.”

There was a pause before Megan pasted a smile on her face. “Yes, and my real one is Megan, Mister Lifestyles. I helped out the ponies in the days of Dream Valley because they were my friends and they needed help.” She held her arms out. “But you all did the hard work building this nation, and I must say, you did a great job with it.”

Lifestyles blushed, smiling and bobbing his head. “Thank you, Mag'ne... thank you, Megan.”

Megan looked around and sighed. She clapped her hands together, startling everyone still staring. “Well, don't stand around on our account!” she shouted, smiling. “This is the best party of the year, and you should all be enjoying yourselves.”

Murmuring ran through the crowds and they backed up, turning back to their own conversations and activities. Megan let out a sigh and massaged her forehead. “This is gonna be a long night.” she muttered. She let out a yelp as Celestia and Luna's heads suddenly entered her peripheral field of vision. “Don't do that!” she hissed out.

Luna cleared her throat. “My apologies, Megan. Are you all right?”

Megan leaned in close to Luna. “Yes? No?” She shrugged. “I... don't know at the moment.” She looked to Celestia. “Can we talk? Alone?”

Celestia slowly nodded. “Yes, of course.” Her eyes glanced up. “Luna, I think it would be wise for you to go back to the greeting line.”

Luna followed her sister's gaze and Megan turned around. All three saw the unicorn surrounded by various other ponies. Bits of her mane were already starting to shoot up and her right eye was half-closed. “I shall go assist your student.” Luna replied. She leaned down and nuzzled Megan for a moment, before trotting off and up the stairs.

Mike, Molly, Danny, Danielle and Michelle approached Megan. “Megan, honey, are you...” Mike's voice trailed off and he reached a hand out to his wife.

Megan bridged the distance and took her husband's hand. “I'm fine,” she replied. She looked to the rest of her family. “Celestia and I merely have to have a... talk, is all.”

Danielle stepped around to the alicorn's side and leaned over. “If she uses your full name, run,” she said, crossing her arms and nodding.

Celestia blinked twice. “I see, Danielle. I'll keep that in mind.”

Molly spoke up. “If it's all right, I'm gonna wander around a bit, mingle and find the buffet table.” She patted Megan on the shoulder and tilted her head to the side. “Don't go too hard on Celestia.” she half-whispered before walking off.

Danny pointed to the top of the stairs. “I think I'll know what I'll be doing for a bit.” Before anyone could say anything he grabbed his wheelchair's rims and surged forward, deftly maneuvering through the crowd. He stopped at the foot of the stairs, leaned his chair back and rolled right up, passing by a more than a few perplexed ponies. “Hi, everyone!” he called out, waving. The wheelchair slowed to a stop next to Luna and Twilight and he spun around. “I'm Danny, and I knew Luna and Celestia way back when.” He jabbed a thumb at her and held out his other hand to a pegasus. “Hi, nice to meet you.”

Luna slowly smiled and bowed her head. “This is quite boring,” she said to him.

Danny shrugged. “We'll make it fun, then.” He looked to Twilight. “Right?”

Twilight covered her mouth with a hoof, but a giggle still escaped. She merely nodded before turning to the next pony in line. “Hi, I'm Twilight Sparkle. What's your name?”

Megan's mouth canted to the side before she waved Danny off. “All right, he'll be entertained for a bit.” She looked to Danielle and Michelle and patted her daughters on the shoulder. “You two go and have some fun, but be back here in about ninety minutes, all right?”

Danielle nodded. “Sure, Mom.” She jabbed Michelle in the arm. “Come on, let's go track down Pinkie or Dash,” she said before running off.

Michelle ran off after Danielle. “Let's find Rarity, too!” she cried out, grabbing her dress and tugging it up slightly as to not trip over it as she followed Danielle.

Mike met Megan's eyes. “I think I'll track down the buffet table as well.” He patted the cummerbund right across his stomach. “Getting a little hungry.” He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Love you.” he said, tilting his head to the side and whispering in her ear for a moment.

Megan's brow furrowed, but she nodded and returned the kiss. “Love you, too.” She focused on Celestia. “Okay, there some quiet little hall we can talk in?”

Celestia spun about on a gilded hoof. “Please follow me,” she said, leading Megan to a small archway that led out of the main hall. The pair found themselves in a narrow hallway, away from prying eyes and ears. Celestia's horn glowed for an instant and the background noise of the Gala vanished. She looked to Megan and swallowed. “Are you mad with me?” she asked, her voice wavering.

Megan opened her mouth, but hesitated. “No.” she finally admitted. “Not with you, but with this whole 'Mag'ne' situation.” She threw her hands up into the air. “I was never one for too much pomp or circumstance, even back in the old days.” She leaned against a wall and gently traced a finger across the patterns carved into it. “Now the ponies are bowing and worshiping me and my family.” She looked to Celestia. “I know Star Swirl and Spellion had their reasons and at the time it made sense, but dammit, right now.” She clenched her fist in frustration and smacked it into the wall with a dull thud. She suddenly winced and waved the now-throbbing fist in the air. “Ouch, not smart!”

Celestia bit her lip, but her sides gently shook with pent-up laughter. She leaned her head down and Megan's hand glowed slightly. “Your temper was always well hidden, but it could come out when ponies least expected it.”

Megan unclenched her fist and flexed her fingers. “Thanks, Celestia.” She raised her hand and patted the alicorn's face. “Like I said, I'm not mad at you, or Luna, nor really anyone here. Star Swirl and Spellion, though, or the Moochik and those damned prophecies you told me about?” She threw her hands up into the air.

“They did it with the best of intentions, and look at it this way, at least they're not cowering from you or your family,” Celestia said, winking.

Megan tilted her head down and stared at Celestia. “Don't you dare think you're too old, powerful or big for me to take you across my knee.” She extended a finger with each condition.

Celestia stared back. “You wouldn't.”

Megan smirked. “Probably not, but maybe.” She shrugged. “There's still a lot of things I need to ask, to find out, like what happened to the humans who used to live here.” She held up a hand. “But we'll get to that later.”

Celestia nodded. “Later, yes, but I can tell you they didn't die out, but rather they... went away.” She shrugged her head. “That's all I can say for now. It was almost like the elves from those old 'Lord of the Rings' novels you brought over once.”


“But why?”

The Moochik shrugged. He, Celestia, Luna and Wind Whistler stood outside his house, a squat, mushroom-shaped abode. “It's our time to leave,” he said. “There are new horizons for us out there; new places for us to go and new things to do.” He spread out his arms. “This world belongs to you, now.” He reached out and gently brushed Celestia's muzzle. “I know you'll make something wonderful with it.”


Megan's eyes widened. She raised a hand and opened her mouth, but stopped and waved Celestia off. “Tomorrow, or later tonight,” she finally said. “I promised Applejack I'd put in an appearance at her apple stand, and I am not breaking my word there, and you've still got a lot of guests to greet, I'm guessing.”

Celestia arched her head back and stared at Megan out of the corner of her eye. “Megan,” she exclaimed, “are you thinking of using your position as the Mag'ne to help Applejack sell foodstuffs at the Grand Galloping Gala?” She held a foreleg to her forehead, letting out an overly dramatic sigh.

Megan stared at her for a moment. “Well, it's not under my control if others wish to sample her wares after I say how good her stuff is. I'm simply expressing my opinion of what she makes.” She waved a hand to the door at the end of the hallway that led back to the Gala. “Shall we?”

Celestia turned around and the pair began walking back. “We shall.”


Molly moved through the crowd. She held a plate of snacks in one hand and a drink in the other. She paused every few steps as someone acknowledged her. “Yes, hi,” she said, a smile pasted on her face. “It's nice to meet you, even though I won't remember you two seconds from now,” she said, the last part muttered.

She walked through a door, into the open air and rounded a corner. She dropped onto a bench and looked up at the night sky.

“Rough night?”

Molly shrugged. “Probably not as rough as Megan's or Celestia's, especially with how-GOD!” she suddenly shouted, sliding to her right onto the grass and throwing out her arms. Her plate and glass flew into the air, but their movement was quickly arrested by the familiar glow of telekinesis, the food and drink settling back.

Molly held a hand to her heart as a unicorn stallion in dress uniform slid off the bench. “Herd, are you all right?” he asked, holding out a hoof. “I'm really sorry about startling you like that.”

“Just fine,” Molly gasped out. She took his hoof and allowed him to pull her upright. “As soon as my heartbeat goes down to below triple digits, I'll be even better.” She looked him over, then to the pink alicorn still sitting. “Captain Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, I presume?”

Cadance stood up and turned to face Molly. “Yes, but to my friends, Cadance is more than enough. You are Molly, correct?”

Molly nodded. “Correct, Princess,” she said, curtsying.

Cadance rolled her eyes. “You don't have to be so formal, Molly. Herd knows it's never really sat too well with me.”

Molly snorted. “Man, no wonder you and Megan got along so well.” Her eyes wandered about, focusing on her plate and glass as they floated back to her. She reached out, grabbed them and sat back down. “Thanks.” she said between bites.

Shining Armor and Cadance sat back down as well. “How's the Gala?” Shining Armor asked. “From what I've read about the past, this is a bit more formal than what you're used to?”

Molly drained the last of her glass and let out a gasp of air. “Just a bit.” she said, grinning. She glanced to him. “We got a little formal when King Blueblood was around, but even he loosened up after the first few. The third one, he didn't even bring his crown.” She motioned to him with her empty glass. “But times change. Back then it wasn't too fancy because it couldn't be too fancy. We were rebuilding Ponyland. So seeing Celestia and Equestria able to put a party like this on is actually pretty heartening.”

Cadance smiled. Her horn glowed and a tea cup floated to her lips. “I've read so much about Ponyland and Dream Valley. I've probably spent a few year's worth of time in the Vault, reading up on Earth as well.” Her wings fluttered and her ears twitched. “I would so have loved to lived back then.”

Molly's jaw tightened.


The gray river of slime crested the hill, uncountable eyes staring up into the sky and all around. The land itself was swallowed and inundated by the eldritch soup, the luckiest able to escape the soul-tainting Smooze...


“No, I don't think you'd like it as much as you think,” Molly finally replied, staring down at her plate. She chewed on a tiny sandwich. “Things could get pretty damned dicey back then.”

Cadance swallowed. “I'm sorry, Molly. That was a bit flippant of me, wasn't it.” Her ears folded flat against her skull and she let out a mild whinny.

Molly sighed. “Nah, it's all right, Cadance. Old memories, you know? I don't exactly have rose-colored glasses on concerning my time back then.” She straightened up and turned her head to the pair. “Actually, do you know-”

“It's slang we have here,” Shining Armor said, winking.

A bark of laughter escaped Molly. “Okay, fair enough.” She shifted a bit on the bench and pointed off to the distance. “Actually, did you two want me to leave? I think I may have been interrupting a moment between you two.”

Shining Armor looked to Cadance for a moment before turning back to Molly. “You're fine where you are, Molly. Take a load off.” His gaze drifted down to her feet. “Although Herd knows how much those tiny things feel at the end of the day.”

Cadance slid a wing over her head and groaned. “Shiny...”

Molly merely set down her empty plate and glass onto the ground beside the bench before reaching over and swatting at Shining Armor. “I have hands, so I can do this!” Her eyes flashed as each blow was deflected by a flash of Shining Armor's shield. “Hey, no fair!”

Shining Armor's nostrils flared with a snort. “Well, yeah!”

The pair continued for a few minutes before Molly threw her hands into the air. “Okay, I give!” she shouted, laughing all the while. She leaned back and stared up at the sky. “Damn, Luna did a great job with the sky.”

Shining Armor and Cadance followed her gaze. There was silence among the three for a few minutes. Cadance finally spoke up. “Does the night sky look like this on Earth?”

Molly shrugged. “It's not as bright as where I live. Nightlights and all. Safer, though. It's a lot better than stubbing your toe when you're out in the dark.” She held up a hand and jabbed a finger at Shining Armor. “And do not comment to me about hooves!”

Shining Armor looked away. “I wasn't going to say anything,” he said, his lips puckering slightly.

Cadance slid off the bench and extended a wing to Molly. “Well, I don't know about you two, but I'm getting a bit hungry and restless. Care to come with me and dive back into the crowd?”

Shining Armor jumped off the bench, sidling up to Cadance. “Where you go, I follow,” he stated, staring into her eyes.

Cadance leaned forward, puckering her lips... but suddenly pulled away and looked over at Molly. “Coming?”

Molly blinked. “Wait, seriously? Aren't you two...” She waved a finger from Cadance to Shining Armor.

Cadance looked to her coltfriend for a moment before looking back to Molly, Shining turning to look at her as well. “We can have a bit of private time later. For now, we'd like to get to know our new friend better.” She extended a wing and waggled the tips at Molly. “Well, come on!”

Molly smiled and stood up. She walked over to the pair and the three walked off and back to the thick of the Gala.


Applejack let out a sigh and slumped her head against her stand's countertop. She tapped the money drawer with a hoof, hearing muffled jingling of the few bits she had made off of one pie that a pegasus had bought when she first set up shop. Since then, nothing.

Various ponies walked by, not even giving her or her wares a second glance. “Ah, what was I thinkin'?” she muttered. “Nopony would want my home-cooked food when they got that fancy-schmancy stuff right inside.” Her head lifted slightly as Mike walked up. “Howdy, Mike. What can I do for you?”

Mike looked over her food, then leaned back and looked at all the others standing around, chatting amongst themselves. He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a ten-bit coin. “What can I get for this?” He held up his other hand. “And do NOT tell me it's on the house, either.”

Applejack opened her mouth, but eventually shrugged. “Thank you kindly, Mike. You're a real gentlestallion... er, gentleman I mean.” She place a carton of apple fritters on the counter.

Mike opened it up, held it over his nose and inhaled. “Hmm, this smells great!' he said, his voice shooting up. He turned around and began eating the fritters. “Man, Applejack!” he half-shouted, smiling as more than a few turned his way, “these are delicious! Much better than the food inside, that's for sure!”

Applejack's eyes darted about as a few ponies walked up to her stand. “Mike, what are you-”

Mike turned around and leaned over, coming to within a few inches of Applejack. “Megan's a bit busy with Celestia at the moment. She'll be over as soon as she can, but I figured I can at least get the ball rolling for you.” He winked at her, smiling as well.

Applejack bowed her head to him. “Mike, don't ever change.”

A pegasus mare with a pair of pince-nez glasses firmly affixed to her muzzle trotted up. She looked over Applejack's food before motioning to a glass bottle of cider. Applejack gave it to her and she popped it open with a twist of her wings. The crowd around her murmured as she took a sip... and then chugged the entire bottle down. “May I have another, please?” she asked, reaching into a saddlebag and pulling out several coins.

Applejack's eyes widened and her mouth stretched into a wide grin. “O-of course, ma'am!” She placed another bottle on the counter and swept the bits into her change drawer. “Would you like a slice o' pie with that, too?”

The mare looked up to Mike, who gave her a thumbs up. Her brow furrowed at the gesture. “That means it's good?”

Mike looked down at his hand before smacking his forehead with the other. “Oh, I can be so dense sometimes. Yes, Miss. This means it's delicious.” He reached into his pocket again and pulled out a few more coins. “I'll take a slice, actually. The fritters put me in the mood!”

The other ponies began digging into their pockets for bit, or in the case of unicorns, levitating them out. Applejack held up a foreleg. “All right, now if you please form a straight line. I can serve you better this way.”

Mike turned to walk off, but stopped short before bumping into a pair of ponies. “Oh, sorry!” he said, holding up his arms and backing off.

The pair stepped back as well. One was a unicorn stallion with a light blue mane, a monocle over his left eye and a cutie mark of three golden crowns. He wore a rather dashing tuxedo top, almost identical to the one Mike wore. His companion was a rather graceful-looking mare, with a pink mane, long legs and a cutie mark of a fleur-de-lis. She wore a rather simple white dress. “I say, not a problem,” the stallion said, smiling. His monocle floated up and towards Mike. “I do say, Mister... Richards? Mike Richards!” He extended a hoof. “My name is Fancy Pants, my good sir, Chancellor of Equestria. A pleasure to meet you!”

Mike grasped Fancy Pants' hoof and gently shook it, bowing at the waist. “Thank you, Chancellor.”

Fancy Pants chuckled. “Fancy Pants is fine, good sir.” He withdrew his hoof and pointed to his companion. “This is my wife, Fleur Dis Lee.”

Fleur bowed her head. “An honor to meet you, Mike. You and your family honor Equestria by attending the Gala.”

Mike's cheeks reddened and he pulled at his shirt collar. “Ah... you two won't be bowing, will you?”

Fancy Pants' monocle jumped. “Bowing? Why, of course not.” He leaned in close to Mike. “I saw Megan at the reception area and heard her words. She and her siblings have earned every iota of respect accorded to her, but some of our contemporary's actions were a bit over the top and embarrassing, no matter how well-intentioned.” He glanced to Applejack's stall, now with a rather long line stretching back. “Although sometimes over the top can work, wouldn't you say?”

Mike shrugged. “It was for a good friend. And truth be told, it was kind of fun, too.”

Fancy Pants chuckled, but he let out a sigh as he looked to the line. “Well, it might be a while before Fleur and I can get some of this wonderful food, it seems. A shame, too.” He stuck his nose into the air and sniffed. “Simply divine!”

Mike turned to the stand and underhand tossed some coins. “Applejack, two cartons of fritters, if you please!” He held up his hands as two cartons sailed his way, catching them. He turned to Fancy Pants and Fleur and held them out. “Hands, very useful,” he said, winking.

Fleur's horn glowed and the cartons floated out of his grasp. “Horns, also handy in a pinch,” she said, returning the wink.

Mike chuckled, and his expression brightened even more as Megan walked up. “Hey!” he said. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders in a quick hug and gave her a kiss. “How was it between you and Celestia?”

Megan shrugged. “Got some stuff off my chest, but nothing major. I mean, I wasn't mad at her.” She leaned forward and looked down the long line at Applejack's stand. “Okay, impressive.” She held her face and sighed. “I guess maybe I took too long with Celestia.”

Mike shook his head. “Things come up, Megan. You can't be everywhere for everyone.”

Megan's eyes shifted, but she remained silent.


Danny looked around at the ponies, zebras and even the giraffe gathered around his wheelchair. Luna stood behind him and Twilight was to his left. He waggled his fingers at them. “Okay, want another one?” At their eager nods he flipped through the photo album in his lap before stopping at one. It was Celestia, barely more than a foal and sitting in a high chair. A bowl of food was in front of her, and her muzzle was coated in something gray and shiny. Megan stood off to the side, spoon in hand...


“And here comes the choo-choo train!” Megan said, waggling a spoon in front of Celestia. “Open wide for the num-nums!”

Celestia waved her hooves around and laughed. She suddenly ducked her head right into the bowl and began munching on the baby food inside it.

Megan looked to Heart Throb, who was shaking with laughter. “Lemme guess. No spoons for the foals?”


Everyone gathered around Danny let out chuckles at the image. “I do say!” one pony declared. “It's rather... refreshing to see our fair princess so down to Equus!”

“Indeed!”

“Jolly good photos, Danny. Jolly good, indeed!”

The zebra and giraffe smiled at the presentation; the Diarchs seemed a bit more real to them, now that they were being shown a bit more down to Equus.

Twilight stood up and gently leaned on the wheelchair's armrest, close to Danny's ear. “Danny, do you think this is a good idea? It seems a little... embarrassing for the Princesses. They deserve respect, after all.”

Luna bent her head down. “Twilight, if Celestia and I cannot take a little ribbing, then we are poor rulers indeed,” she said, winking at her. “I've learned to 'loosen up' quite a bit these past few days, and not take myself so seriously.” She spread her wings out. “Now, Danny! Show an embarrassing photo of myself!”

Danny tilted his head back. Okay, if you insist.” He leafed through the pages, finally stopping on the photo of a stage. Five ponies were scattered about, musical instruments set in front of them. A young Luna was in the foreground, older than Celestia in the previous photo but still a cutie mark-less filly. A microphone stand was in front of her...


Luna cleared her throat, producing some mild feedback through the speakers. “And now, our song for the talent show!” She looked around as the other ponies readied their instruments, then curled the microphone stand in her forelegs and brought it close to her muzzle:

These are the things I could do without. Come on – I'm talking to you!


Luna ducked her head and her wings covered her head, her horn barely peeking out from among the feathers. “Oh, I remember that...” Her wings folded back and she stomped on the floor, sending everyone around hopping into the air. “We won first place!”

The spectators glanced among themselves before looking up at Luna and lightly stomping the floor in applause. “Good show, your majesty!”

Danny looked to Twilight and motioned to her with his hand. “See?”

Twilight shrugged. “I guess, but it's still just so... odd.” She rubbed her chin and arched an eyebrow. “I've always seen Princess Celestia as the apex of perfection, as the guiding light of Equestria. I... never even thought of her as a filly or foal or young like this.” She let out a sigh. “It's not too bad, just odd for me. A little disconcerting, too.”

A voice from behind sent Twilight hopping into the air. “Oh, I don't know, Twilight. A little laughter's good for the soul,” Celestia said, walking up to Luna's side. “Good to see you again, Luna.”

Luna smiled and bobbed her head. “And good to see you again as well, sister.”

Celestia cocked her head to the side and eyed the picture Danny was showing. “Oh, I remember that! You beat out Baby Surprise's comedy routine and Little Mimic's magic show!”

Twilight's head bobbed up and down. “Princess Celestia!” she cried out. “I'm so glad to see you... finally,” she said, muttering the last word under her breath. She approached the Princess, but stopped and glanced back at Danny. “I'm sorry about the photos. He just pulled out the album, and then waved it around and everyone gathered around him.”

Celestia blinked. “Well, it's good to see you as well, my prized pupil, but I don't see why you're apologizing for the photos.” She leaned over and looked down. “Oh, Danny! You're going easy on us,” she said, winking.

Danny shrugged. “I'm saving the really embarrassing ones for when you finally meet with Earth's leaders.”

Twilight blinked. “What?”

The Diarchs exchanged a glance. Luna nodded to Celestia, and the Princess of the Sun walked around to the front of the group. Luna stepped back, letting out a sigh as Celestia began greeting various Gala guests.

Danny rolled backwards, Twilight following. “Luna, you all right?”

Luna opened her mouth, but stopped. Her brow furrowed. “I... do not know. The Gala has been enjoyable, to an extent.” She looked to the high ceiling and a chandelier hanging from it. “Everyone here has been polite to me, and seem to genuinely want to meet me. I've spent a lot of time with Celestia and the comments about my night!” She thrust a hoof into the air. “They love it!”

“We love your night, Princess Luna!”

“And I love you!” Luna shouted back at the random comment. She looked back to Danny, but her shoulder sagged. “Truly, the Gala for me has not been bad. But... it's so formal.” She glanced to the side, her gaze drifting back through time. “Before the Nightmare; Equestria was still small. The Gala was more a celebration of making it through one more year. We played, ate lots of food, sang songs and made grand fools of ourselves.”

Danny looked back over his shoulder at the stallions in tuxedos and the mares in formal dresses. “Now it's a fancy party for grown-ups.” He looked back to Luna. “I remember those early Galas. They were small because we didn't have much to celebrate with.”

Twilight's gaze drifted to Celestia. “This night isn’t quite what I've been expecting either. I was hoping I could spend a lot of time with Celestia, but she's either greeting guests or talking with Megan.” Her head turned to face Luna and she swallowed. “I mean, not that it hasn't been great with you, P-Princess Luna!” she shouted, flinching slightly and waving a hoof frantically in the air.

Princess Luna stepped forward, looming over Twilight, but the Diarch smiled and bent her head down. “I know the feeling,” she admitted, winking. She let out a sigh. “You're right, Danny. I too am glad we have more to celebrate with, but there's not much else to do around here.” She grunted and her mane waved about. “There's not even a... a horseshoe-throwing pit, for Herd's sake!”

There was a sudden rustling. Luna's body shifted from side to side. She turned around as Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared, standing on her back and loin. She pushed her pillbox-style hat forward and snarled. “Not even a horseshoe pit!” she cried out. “I can't believe it!” She hopped off Luna's back and rushed over to a wall. “Where is it?” she muttered, looking over the intricate carvings in the sandalwood. “Ah, ha!” she suddenly cried out. Pinkie tapped a certain section and the panel retracted, allowing her to pull out a half-dozen horseshoes, a wooden stake, a hammer and a rake. She galloped down the stairs, drawing stares from everyone. “Follow me!”

Danny jabbed a finger at the retreating Pinkie, then at Luna's back. His finger waggled between the two. “How did – I mean where did – ” He locked eyes with Twilight. “How did she do that?!”

Twilight merely shrugged. “It's Pinkie Pie. That's all there really is to it.”

Danny leaned back in his chair, but quickly shot forward and grabbed his chair's armrests. “Danielle? Michelle? Where'd you come from?”

Danielle and Michelle stood right behind Luna, expressions of confusion on both their faces. “I... don't know, Uncle Danny,” Danielle finally said. She patted herself down. “One minute we were in a large ballroom, sitting at a table.”

“And bored out of our skulls,” Michelle groused, crossing her arms and pouting.

Danielle's head bobbed back and forth before she finally shrugged. “Well, yeah,” she admitted. She held out her hands. “And then we were here with Pinkie Pie.” She looked to Michelle. “What happened?”

Michelle shrugged. “I don't know, but I hope we can have some fun. The music was too slow.”

Pinkie Pie suddenly reappeared next to Danny. “I've got it all set!” she shouted, turning around and galloping back down the stairs. She paused halfway and looked back up. “Well, what are you waiting for?!”

Celestia spoke up. “Luna, Danny, Michelle, Danielle, go on ahead. Twilight and I will catch up later.”

Twilight blinked. “I-we will?”

Celestia waved her over with a wing. “But of course!” She inclined her head to a pair of zebra standing before her. “Several attendees have inquired about you, and I'd like to introduce my prized pupil to them.”

There was a purple blur and Twilight was suddenly beside Celestia, foreleg extended. “Hi, I'm Twilight Sparkle!”

Danny blinked and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Okay, she's all set. Shall we?”


Pinkie Pie's head whipped back and she let the horseshoe fly. It landed halfway to the stake, bouncing a bit on the grass. “Aww, I was hoping for a ringer!”

Danny rolled up beside her, gripping a horseshoe of his own. He, Danielle, Michelle, Luna and Pinkie were in one of the courtyards, a stake hammered into the grass about forty feet away. There was a somewhat large crowd of onlookers surrounding the quartet. “Not too shabby.” He leaned back and heaved the horseshoe, landing closer but not quite reaching the stake. “Darn, a bit out of practice.” He leaned back. “Surprise and I had an epic tournament one Gala.”

Danielle snapped her fingers. “That's right! Mom wrote about it in one of the 'My Little Horsey' novels.” She pulled out her smartphone and turned it on, but her face fell. “No signal out here!”

Danny blinked. “You expected a signal out here?”

“Worth a shot.” Danielle stepped up to the throwing line. She tossed the horseshoe into the air and it landed just shy of the stake. “Ugh, so close.”

Michelle looked at the horseshoe she held. “Pinkie Pie, why did you have all this stuff hidden in a wall panel in Canterlot Palace?”

Pinkie Pie adjusted her dress and smoothed down some wrinkles. “I have them hidden all over Equestria for horseshoe-related emergencies.” She stood up on her hind legs, leaned back without losing her balance and snatched a tray of snacks from a waiter with her teeth. “Hmm, thank you!”

Danny let out a sigh. “If you're not somehow related to Surprise, I'm Discord.”


Rainbow Dash's jaw stretched a bit as a yawn threatened to escape her, but she kept her mouth clenched. She sat at a table in a VIP section, occasionally glancing over at the Wonderbolts and the throng of ponies surrounding the main reason she wanted to come to the Gala. Her wings fluttered slightly. “This is so lame.” She groused. She looked across the table to her dining companion. “Was this why you wanted all of us to stick together, so you could show us around?”

Spike looked up from his overflowing mound of food that he had snatched from all over. “Pretty much.” He opened his mouth and began tossing the food down his throat into a seemingly endless gullet. “I sneaked into a Gala one year before Twilight and I came to Ponyville.” he said, voice muffled by his repast. “I think Princess Celestia had to carry me back home after.” He tapped his chest. “If I ever become King of the Dragon Clans, any party I have is gonna be rocking!”

Dash smiled at her friend's antics, but her expression quickly reverted back to one of ennui. She kicked the air with her hooves. “This is so boring!”

Spike rubbed his chin. “I know a spot just around the corner from Canterlot Palace called Donut Joe's. It's five minutes from here and has great food and coffee. Twilight used to go there during late-night study sessions.” He waved Dash close to the center of the table. “He's got some really good stories about her from back then.”

Dash's ears perked up. She hopped into the air, flew over to Spike, slid her forelegs underneath his armpits and shot off. “First round's on me!”


Applejack slowly counted out bits and jangles, keeping track of every last one that she had earned. Her eyes gleamed as the numbers increased. Thoughts of new equipment, of Granny Smith's hip surgery, of a new barn danced before her eyes. She happened to glance at a pair of scrolls rolled up on the counter, each one a contract given to her by a businesspony after they bought her food. “I'll have Big Mac look over these tomorrow.” she said to herself, sweeping them into a drawer and locking it.

Flashes of white and pink caught her eye. She looked up to see Rarity and Prince Blueblood standing before her. The former's dress was slightly disheveled, with part of it wet for some reason. The latter's muzzle was thrust high into the air as he regarded the few offerings left in the stand.

Applejack tipped her hat to the pair. “Well, howdy, you all.” she said while smiling. She waved a foreleg around at the mostly-empty shelves. “Sorry, but almost all my wares were sold out hours ago.” She let out a chuckle. “Oh, Rarity, you should've seen the line I had.”

Blueblood's muzzle lowered. “Hmm, apple pie, some hay fries and two bottles of apple cider. Rather common fare here, Miss Apple.”

Rarity's head shot over. “What?” she said, her voice rising. She turned her head in Blueblood’s direction, her teeth grinding together. “That’s not fair at all.” She spun around, facing the stallion directly. “Applejack’s wares may be ‘common’, but her baked goods are some of the best in Canterlot Province-neigh, all of Equestria!” She stalked forward, forcing Blueblood back a few paces. “You have no right to insult her like that! She's done nothing to you!”

Applejack smiled and bowed her head. “Thank you kindly, Rarity.”

Blueblood's eyes narrowed slightly and his posture tensed. He turned to Applejack. “No, she hasn't.” His horn glowed and a hundred bit coin floated over, landing on the counter. “My apologies for the rude comments, Element of Honesty.” The two bottles floated up and over to him. He tipped one to Applejack before turning back to Rarity. “May we talk alone?”

Rarity's entire body shook, but she turned to Applejack, her mouth twitching. “If you'll excuse me, Applejack,” she said, following Blueblood. The pair rounded a corner, finding themselves in a dead end. Rarity waited for Blueblood to turn to her before raising a foreleg and shaking a hoof right in his face. “All right, you arrogant cur. Perhaps you could inform me why I shouldn’t threaten you with grievous bodily harm and then act upon said threats?!” She leaned forward as he opened his mouth. “I always follow through on my intentions, you see.”

Blueblood swallowed and a fine sheen of sweat appeared right below his horn. “Yes, I suppose you would...” He cleared his throat. “Let us lay the cards on the table, Rarity Belle. Why are you here at the Gala? And what interest do you really have in me?”

Rarity's brow furrowed. “W-well I came here to find true love, to find my prince charming!” She snorted. “It turns out all that was just a bit of foalish fantasy.”

Blueblood waved her off. “Oh, please! Don't act like you're some wide-eyed idealist, my dear Miss Belle. You're here to try and marry into nobility.” He held up his own hoof a few inches from her mouth. “And don't try to deny it, either. I know you, Miss Belle. Auntie Celestia's talked a lot about you and the other Elements of Harmony, and I've done my own research. You're enraptured with Canterlot and high society. “

Rarity pushed his hoof away. “And so what? Besides, it's not like I'd court just anypony around here. I'm in it for love, here.”

Blueblood nodded. “Admirable, but a line I've heard a thousand times.” His face took on a rather smug expression. “Do you have any idea how many mares have said they were in it for 'true love', only to find them trying to get the numbers for my bank accounts? Now Auntie is normally a great judge of character, but even she's wrong on occasion.”

Rarity's entire body shook. “How dare you lump me with some common trollop!” she shouted.

The prince bared his teeth. “And how dare you think you should be treated any better when you admit you're here to marry up!” He rolled his eyes to the sky. “Time and time again I've been approached by mares with bit signs in their eyes and avarice in their hearts. They see me as a giant purse and ladder to the upper echelons.” He fixed a glare on Rarity that sent her flinching back. “So you will excuse me if I don't take your word for there being a noble purpose behind your husband hunting!”

Rarity sucked in a breath. She paced back and forth for a minute before finally looking back at Blueblood. “You know what? You're right,” she admitted, hanging her head. “I was more interested in the social ladder than love. And that is wrong of me. I treated you like a target, not a stallion.”

Blueblood eyed her. “But?”

Rarity let out a breath. “But if you weren't interested in me, then why didn't you simply send me away? Why string me along like this?”

Blueblood's jaw opened, but no sound came out. His cheeks flushed red and he kicked at the ground. “I... ”

Rarity straightened herself up and adjusted her dress. “I did wrong. I admit it to you... and all of Equestria!” she said, her voice rising on the last words. Her mouth turned up at the corners. “What about you, Blueblood? What about your actions to me this evening?”

Blueblood snorted, but kept his gaze level. “I wronged you, Rarity Belle. I admit it to you... and I'm sorry.”

There was silence between the two for a few minutes, neither one sure of what to do, what not to do or say. Finally, Rarity bowed her head to Blueblood before turning and leaving. She cantered back and forth, finally arriving at Applejack's stand. She let out a sigh, standing there.

Applejack looked her over before ducking her head down. She emerged with a large jug and a pair of glasses. She poured Rarity some smoky-brown liquid and slid the glass over to her. “Wanna talk about it?”

The glass floated up to the unicorn's lips and tilted back. Rarity drained the entire contents of it, her entire body twitching. “Ooh, wow!” She licked her lips and the glass floated back towards Applejack. “Not yet, but please pour another of those, darling. I might after a few more belts.”


Megan pitched a horseshoe high into the air. She let out a cry of triumph as it landed around the stake. “Ringer!” she cried out.

Celestia and Luna let out overly dramatic groans, swaying their heads. “Not fair!” Luna cried out. “You've got hands!”

Megan barked a laugh. She, Luna and Celestia were at the horseshoe pit. It was close to midnight, and the Gala had almost wound down completely. By and large they were alone, their friends and family gathered elsewhere and preparing to leave. “Thank you,” she said. “I had a good time.” She looked down. “Celestia, Luna, may I ask a favor from you for tomorrow?”

Celestia blinked. “Of course. What?”

Megan clasped her hands together and twiddled her thumbs. “Any chance we could go into the Everfree Forest and visit the castle there?” She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. “And no. I don't know why. I'd just like to visit it, if possible.” She let loose with a chuckle. “God, I must sound so stupid here.”

Celestia shook her head. “No, you don't sound stupid in the slightest.” She walked over and wrapped a wing around Megan, pulling her in for a hug. “Would you like me to pack a lunch?”

Megan giggled. “Sure, why not?”

Luna glanced up at the moon. “The hour is late, and the Gala is almost done.” She walked to Megan, leaned down and gently nuzzled her. “Thank you for coming,” she said. “Tomorrow?”

Megan patted Luna's cheek and smiled. She glanced between the two alicorns. “Tomorrow.”

Author's Note:

1. Thanks to shubzilla and all the folks at spacebattles for their help.

2. Next chapter will be a lot shorter and will set up the climax.