• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 35,790 Views, 1,329 Comments

The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds - RK_Striker_JK_5



An old legend from Equestria's past returns, but is there a place for her in this new world?

  • ...
53
 1,329
 35,790

Chapter Twenty-Four

Megan walked through Ponyville, Danielle and Michelle on her right and Scootaloo with her scooter and wagon to her left, Dinky and Sweetie Belle riding in the wagon she towed. She paused every now and then as ponies bowed their heads to her, some almost touching their foreheads to the grass. “Yes, it's nice to see you,” she said as she bowed. “Now please, stop bowing to me.”

The group continued on, Megan bowing once in a while to acknowledge more ponies until they eventually reached Carousel Boutique. Megan looked up and down the two-story shop. “Colorful,” she deadpanned. She glanced to her left at six mining carts, each one overflowing with precious gemstones. “Rarity doesn't joke around when she goes gemstone hunting!” Her eyes widened at the mineral wealth there.

Sweetie Belle stood up in the wagon and tossed her forelegs into the air. “That's my sis!” she shouted, waving her hooves about. Her expression changed to surprise as she toppled back, falling out of the wagon and landing on the grass with a mild thud.

Dinky leaned over the wagon's side. “Are you all right?”

Sweetie Belle's body rocked slightly before she sprang to her hooves. “I'm okay!”

Megan and Scootaloo exchanged a quick glance before Megan walked forward. She gasped and quickened her pace as the front door opened and Spike darted out, slamming it behind him. She reached him and knelt down beside him. “Spike, what's going on?” she asked, one hand straying to her rifle slung across her back and the her eyes drifting to the door.

Spike stood against the door for a moment, panting. His eyes darted around as the others caught up to Megan. “Megan, Rarity's gone nuts!” He balled his claws into fists and waved them in the air. “Her ponykins are dancing about in there!”

Sweetie Belle gasped. She charged the door and reared back, slamming her hooves against the door. “Sis, sis!” she cried out, continuing to beat at the door. Scootaloo, Dinky, Michelle and Danielle quickly flanked her as she dropped back to all fours. “We gotta help her!”

Danielle patted Sweetie Belle on her back. “We'll help her out.” She looked up at Megan. “Right, Mom?”

Megan nodded. “Right, Danielle.” She looked down at Spike. “Okay, Spike. Tell me exactly what Rarity's been doing. When did her odd behavior start?”

Spike took a deep breath and said, “Well, I woke up last night to use the little dragon's room, and found her downstairs surrounded by floating scrolls and ponykins. I didn't think much of it at first, but when I got up this morning, she was still there, and looked like she hadn't slept a wink!” he hung his head. “I should've said something, but she gave me this little pat on the head and a smile and...” He trailed off and sighed, a goofy smile crossing his mouth as he fluttered his eyes.

Megan looked Spike over. “Spike? Spike!” She snapped her fingers in front of his face, getting his attention back. “Okay, so then what?”

Danielle spoke up. “And how'd you get all those gems?” She waved her arm at the carts at the side of the Boutique. “That's an insane amount of work!”

Spike shrugged. “Rarity talked to the Diamond Dogs at the Gem Fields last night before we got home and 'asked' them for some gems by this morning. They had all six carts and the gems I ate here by sunrise.” He chuckled. “That's my Rarity for you.”

The door suddenly swung open, rattling on its hinges. Megan stood up. “Rarity?” She walked through the door, ducking her head. She stood up in the main showroom of Carousel Boutique and looked around, finally spotting her at the far end of the room. Her eyes widened. “Rarity, what have you been doing?”

Rarity sat on a stool, hunched over a table with several pieces of paper pinned to it and the adjacent wall. Her mane and tail were uncombed, with stray hairs sticking out. Her coat, normally smooth and shiny, had a dull look to it, as if it hadn't been washed since before yesterday's party. Her head whipped around as sketches telekinetically flew about, some of them crumbled up into balls and tossed into an already-overflowing wastebasket. “No, no no nonono!” Rarity threw her forelegs into the air. “Why can't I make this work?!”

Megan walked over to the wastebasket and picked up one of the sketches. She unfolded it, revealing a humanoid figure wearing a fancy dress. She looked over at Rarity. “Dresses?” She picked up another and unfolded it, revealing a tuxedo. “What's this for?”

Rarity hopped off the stool and looked up at Megan. She glanced to the side as Michelle, Danielle, the Crusaders and Spike walked in. “It's for the Gala, of course.” She sniffed and hiccuped. Ponykins floated about, along with measuring tape and gemstones. “You're the Mag'ne, the Giver of Gifts, but I'm the Element of Generosity. So I wanted to make formal attire for you and your family for the biggest event of the year. “ She threw her head back and let out a strangled scream. “But my muses have abandoned me!” She slumped to the floor, tears streaming from her eyes.

Megan's eyes darted about, focusing on Sweetie Belle, then back on Rarity. “The biggest event of the year?”

Rarity's head raised slightly. “Well, I believe the Gala may have been a bit... after your time, come to think of it.” She slowly brought her legs back under her, raising to a standing position. “Come to think of it offhoof I can't quite place the year of the first Gala.” She let out a sigh. “After what you and your family's done for us, I simply couldn't let you go in just any old thing you might have.”

Megan swallowed. “Well, you see, the old-”

Rarity continued, cutting her off. “And well, to be the designer of the Mag'ne's formal attire for her debut into Canterlot society? My reputation would soar into the heavens!” Her eyes widened and sparkled, but they quickly lost their shine. “But alas, I have nothing. Nothing!”

Sweetie Belle galloped forward, skidding to a halt next to Rarity. She threw her stubby forelegs around her big sister's neck. “You'll figure it out, Rarity! You're the best designer in Ponyville – no, all of Equestria!”

Rarity's muzzle turned up in a smile as she leaned into Sweetie Belle's hug. “Thank you, Sweetie Belle.” She let out a sigh as the filly let go. A few designs rose into the air and floated by. Rarity's head began nodding to an internal beat...

Step by step, stitching it together...

Megan sits, but the curvature of her hip. Just how does she sit?

I haven't got a clue. I think this day I'll rue!

I can't make ... Megan's dress.

Danielle's eyebrow quirked. “Wait, is she singing?” She looked down at Dinky. “Why is Rarity singing?”

Dinky shrugged. “You get used to it.”

Scootaloo merely stuck out her tongue, gagging.

Megan stood up. She held her arms out...

Rarity, you're stitching it together!

All these designs, why they're all simply divine!

I think you've got the clue, any of them simply will do.

You're making ... my new dress!

Megan spun around, picking up a sketch of her in a buttoned-up dress with a belt cinched at the waist and holsters. “Rarity, this would be perfect for me.” She knelt down in front of the seamstress. “Honestly, anything you can come up with will be great for us.” She glanced to her side at Danielle and Michelle, still at the doorway. “Right?”

Danielle rubbed her chin. “That'd look great on you, Mom.”

Michelle nodded, grinning. “A real Annie Oakley!”

Rarity's eyes shifted from the children to Megan. “Cultural hero of yours?”

“Yeah.” Megan leaned in close. “To tell you the truth, Rarity.. I was at the first Grand Galloping Gala.”

Every pony in the room gasped. Rarity's right eye spasmed. “Y-you what?!” She bounced around Megan. “Tell me, tell me how it was!” She hopped up onto her hind legs, leaning her forehooves against Megan and staring up at her. “How was the most glamorous event in all of Equestria back then?”

Megan scratched her temple with her thumb, sweat suddenly appearing there. “Well, not so glamorous...”


Applejack's legs tensed before she broke into a run down the small path. She quickly reached the end, but her front hooves clipped a small piece of wood driven into the ground. The earth pony let out a shriek as she tumbled head over tail, rolling around in sawdust before coming to a crashing halt.

Overhead, Firefly looked down and chuckled before flying off, Bloodwing on her tail. Prime Minister Smart Cookie of the Ponies of the Plains glanced over before turning back to Megan, Wind Whistler of Paradise Estate and Prince Blueblood II of the Mages of the Rock.

Luna and Celestia dug into pies that Surprise had baked, their muzzles covered with blueberry filling. Molly and North Star sat under a tree, simply talking. Other ponies played, ate food and engaged in games and merriment at surviving another year in Dream Valley, with hope and laughter in the air.


“I'd almost call it a glorified picnic,” Megan finished. She shook her head, a wistful smile on her mouth. She looked down at Rarity, who was back on the floor. “I'm guessing nowadays it's a bit more formal?”

Rarity's head bobbed up and down, her mane waving about. “Oh, darling! It's the biggest social event of the year! Princess Celestia is always in attendance.” She looked to her left. “Spike, has Twilight ever gone?”

Spike swallowed. His scales reddened slightly and he looked around, focusing on anything but Rarity. “Well, I uh, that is...” He scratched his cheek. “N-not really. Actually, she spent most of the time in the library.” He shrugged. “Well, what do you expect from her?”

Rarity blinked. “Good point, Spike. Thank you,” she said, smiling. She looked back to Megan. “I've already made dresses for Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Twilight and Fluttershy. Those were easy, after a fashion.” One final strand of her mane sprung out. “But for the human form, it's just so difficult! I don't even have measurements for your bodies!”

Megan looked herself over. She glanced to Danielle and Michelle. “Girls, up for a little modeling for Rarity for the Gala?”

Michelle clapped her hands together and rocked back and forth on her heels. “Sure, Mom!” She hopped down the stairs, bent down and picked up a stray measuring tape. She held it up, stretched it out and held it against her waist.

Rarity's horn glowed and the measuring tape floated out of Michelle's hands. She adjusted her glasses and trotted forward. “My dear Michelle, I see you in ribbons!” she exclaimed, waving a foreleg in the air.

Sweetie Belle bounded over to her sister's side. “Oh, oh! Lemme help, Rarity, please?”

Danielle walked over to Megan. “So, you think Dad, Uncle Danny and Aunt Molly will mind this?”

Megan opened her mouth, but the loud crash of Sweetie Belle tumbling into a ponykin caused her to wince slightly. “Well, Mike's here already, so shouldn't take too much arm-twisting,” she said, winking. “As for Danny and Molly, I think they can come over for a few hours to get measured.” She winced again as Sweetie Belle tumbled into a storage cabinet, knocking open the top doors and sending ribbons, spools of cloth and thread cascading down onto the filly. “Sweetie Belle, are you-”

The filly popped out of the pile, forelegs held high in the air. “I'm okay!”

Megan cracked her jaw and leaned close to her older daughter. “Okay, the tree sap makes a lot more sense now.”


Twilight's eyes bulged out. She slammed her hooves onto the table and spat out the barley soup she was eating. “What?” she shouted, head twitching back and forth. “You're getting married!”

Across the table at the open-air cafe sat Shining Armor and Cadance, both with bits of barley soup dribbling off their faces. Cadance's horn glowed and napkins floated up, dabbing at their muzzles and faces. Several other patrons and the waiter himself stared at the trio as Cadance cleaned herself and her fiance off. “Yes,” she said. She leaned in close to him, smiling.

Shining Armor's cheeks turned beet-red. “Ah, Schmoopie-doo...” He focused on Twilight. “It was a bit sudden, I'll admit, but a long time in coming.” His gaze drifted to Cadance. “We knew each other even before she foalsat for you, and we've been spending so much time together...” His head drifted close to Cadance's, their eyes locked together.

A sudden grunting to the side of the table snapped Shining Armor and Cadance out of their reverie. The waiter looked at them, his right eyebrow raising. "Is there anything wrong?” he asked, eyes narrowing.

Shining Armor scratched the back of his head, right behind his right ear. “No problems,” he muttered. He sighed and looked to Twilight, sitting there with a blank stare. “Twiley, are you all right?” he asked, leaning over the table.

Cadance swallowed. “Twilight, if you have any objections, please speak up. I don't want any hidden feelings between us, all right?'

Twilight finally blinked. “Objections?” She leaped off her chair and hopped about in a circle, barely avoiding other patrons and waiters. “Yesyesyesyesyes!” she cried out, grinning madly. She stopped next to her chair and sat back down. “This is great! When's the wedding? Can I help?” She looked to Cadance. “Can I be your mare of honor, please?”

Cadance hesitated a moment before speaking. “W-well, yes. Of course you can!” Her upper body sagged slightly and her wings fluttered a bit in relief. “Truth be told, I was a bit nervous about your reaction. Herd knows you can be a bit... protective of Shiny here.” She slid a foreleg around Shining Armor's foreleg, drawing him closer.

Shining Armor's cheeks blushed once more. He looked to Twilight. “I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, Twiley. Things have been a bit insane in Canterlot, what with the Mag'ne's return, my work with the Guard and the Gala coming up.” He looked to the sky. “But... there's no real excuse for us not to at least send you a letter or call you up.”

Cadance's lips twitched into a small smile. “Except we don't have the phone number for the Ponyville Public Library,” she said, winking at Twilight.

Twilight shook her head. “I should've made time to write or call you up. Or even tell my friends about you! Things have been a bit crazy here, too, but not as crazy-sounding as in Canterlot.” She hung her head. “I'm sorry,” she whispered.

Shining Armor reached over and patted his sister's foreleg. “No worries, Twiley. Already forgiven.”


Mike grunted slightly as he pulled back on his socket wrench, tightening the last nut on the broken wheel on the Apple family's market cart. He, Big Mac and Caramel were inside a maintenance shed near the main house. Caramel was sharpening and honing an ax on a pedal-powered grindstone while Big Mac was lifting the cart up from underneath. Mike looked to him. “All right, Big Mac. All set, now.”

Big Mac nodded, lowered himself down to the sawdust-covered wood floor and slid out from underneath it. The cart creaked slightly, but the axle hub held tight. Caramel flipped his head back, flipping his half-face mask up. He looked over at the cart. “That's some good work, Mike. I tell you, you really know what you're doing.”

Big Mac tapped the wheel with a hoof and nodded. “Yup. You did one bang-up job, Mike.” He tilted his head to the side, chewing on a stalk of wheat. “Them hands are mighty useful for you. This took a lot less time than it should've normally.”

Mike shrugged. “Two working on it instead of one speeds up anything.” He stepped over to his toolbox and began reorganizing it. “Although, you make do with your hooves, mouths and tail.” He stuck his tongue out and made a face. “Although some of the stuff you pick up with your mouth...” He grimaced and shuddered.

Caramel shrugged. “Not as bad as you think, Mike. I tell you what.”

Mike walked over to a wall lined with tools hanging from hooks. He picked up a hammer and hefted it. “Just like the stuff I use.”

Applejack, Granny Smith and Fluttershy soon walked in, Fluttershy clutching a basket in her mouth. Applejack trotted over to the cart and kicked at the hub. “Well, it's even better than before!” She looked to Mike and nodded briefly. “Thank you kindly, Mike. You're one decent fellow.”

Mike shrugged. “No big deal, Applejack.” He looked to his side at Granny Smith, looking up at him as she leaned on her walker. “Oh, hello,” he said, taking a half-step to his right. He held out a hand, but quickly withdrew it.

Granny Smith slowly shook her head. “What? Oh, sorry there, whippersnapper. Granny Smith's the name. Apple farmin's my game. Just, I never thought I'd live to see the day when a real-life human would be standin' here in Sweet Apple Acres.” She held up a trembling foreleg. “We've got stuff from before, so I know a wee bit about you. It's just, in the flesh.”

Mike bent down and gently took hold of Granny Smith's hoof. “Yeah, in the flesh. Just like you are. Nothing really special about me, ma'am.”

Granny Smith snorted. “'Don't you be 'ma'aming' me, you whippersnapper! I'm not that old!” She turned and shuffled off, muttering under her breath. “We got lunch ready anyhow, if you're hungry.”

Mike, Big Mac and Caramel's stomachs all growled, and all three chuckled or simply nodded. They followed Granny Smith and Applejack out of the shed, Caramel breaking from the group and heading to the one of the apple tree fields. Mike checked his watch. “Celestia told us to be back at Ponyville as soon as we can. I think I've got enough time for a brief bite to eat before heading back.”

Applejack nodded, sighing. “Aw, that's right. Consarnit, Iwas lookin' forward to that picnic.” She slowed her pace, letting Mike catch up to her. She looked up at him. “A real shame to let that picnic stuff go to waste, wouldn't you say?” She winked at him.

Mike opened his mouth and bobbed his head up and down. “Oh, right! Yeah, of course!” He looked to Big Mac on his left. “Listen, why don't you and Fluttershy go off and have a nice, leisurely lunch by yourself. No need to let this lovely day go to waste!”

Big Mac stopped dead in his tracks. “E... what?”

Applejack trotted up to Fluttershy and jabbed her lightly in the barrel, nearly knocking the her over. “Yeah, you two have fun, you hear?”

Fluttershy's eyes widened. She apt the basket handle out of her mouth. “W-what? I-I...” Her cheeks flushed scarlet. “But... but...”

A grunting from Granny Smith caught Applejack's attention. She swung around and trotted to the back of the group as the elderly earth pony eyed her. “Yes, Granny?” she asked, pasting a grin onto her muzzle.

Granny Smith leaned forward on her walker. “Laying it on a little thick, ain't you?”

Applejack's smile faltered slightly. “Well...”

A sigh escaped from Granny Smith. She leaned to her right. “Mike, before you go, could you tell me a bit about human life? I'm a bit curious.” She walked around Applejack, up to Mike. “I'm sure you won't mind, Big Macintosh, if I skip the picnic this time?”

Big Mac sighed and rolled his eyes. “Nope.”

Mike nodded. “Sure, sure!” He looked to Big Mac. “You and Fluttershy have fun.” He, Applejack and Granny Smith walked off leaving the earth pony stallion and the pegasus mare alone on the dirt path. He looked back over his shoulder at the two. “Think we weren't subtle enough?”

Applejack shrugged her shoulders. “Nah. Those two needed this.” She cocked her head to the side. “I hope.”


Fluttershy swallowed and kicked at the dirt, sending up a small dust cloud. Sweat formed on her brow. Her breath quickened slightly. “Ah...”

Big Mac walked up to her, leaned his head down and gently took the basket's handle in his mouth. He raised his head, locking eyes with Fluttershy with a second. His head lingered there for a moment before he took a step back, his cheeks turning a light violet. He tilted his head to his right, to another path that led away from the house and to another one of the orchards.

The two walked off past apple trees, their comfortable silence broken by the occasional bird chirping or squirrel chittering. Some of the birds flew around Fluttershy's head, causing her to smile and Big Mac to blush again. They emerged into a shadowed clearing, the sun filtered through tree branches. Big Mac set the picnic basket down, using hoof, tail and teeth to set the blanket and food down. He looked to Fluttershy. “They did have a point. A shame to let the food go to waste.” He sat down, folding his strong legs under his body.

Fluttershy followed suit, sitting at the edge of the blanket. She kept her eyes down. “Y-yeah. A-Applejack always m-m-makes good food.” She buried her face into a carton of apple fritters, munching on them.

Big Mac let out a sigh. “Mike's got a good heart, and he's a good guy. About as subtle as my old drill sergeant, though.” He snorted.

Fluttershy looked up. “Really? Oh, that's right. You were in the military for a while.”

The stallion nodded. “Yup. Tank Corps.” He took a bite from a wheat sandwich, silence descending for another few minutes as they ate. Big Mac finally looked back up at Fluttershy. “This ain't so bad. You're mighty fine company, Miss Fluttershy. Thank you for spenin' time with an old draft horse like myself.”

Fluttershy looked up at him, her eyes slightly wide. “'Old draft horse'? You're only two years older than I am, Macintosh. That's not 'old' at all!” She glanced away, her mane shifting to the half of her face closer to him. “Thank you for spending some time with me.” She let out a sigh. “I'm not the most exciting company, I know.”

Big Mac shrugged. “Sometimes you just gotta slow down a bit, stop and smell the roses.”

Fluttershy's head shot up, her mane moving away. “I know the feeling exactly! I dearly love my friends, but they sometimes just move so fast for me.” She looked around at the trees and sighed. “This is so nice.”

Big Mac swallowed. “Yeah. I wouldn't mind doing this again.”

Fluttershy looked up at him. “Y-you wouldn't?” She shrank back slightly. “Well it... has been enjoyable, if a little fast for me.”

Big Mac held up a foreleg. “Yup, nice and slow for me. I didn't mean nothin' by it. Just, this is nice.”

Fluttershy locked eyes with him. “I have a spa appointment with Rarity Thursday morning, but the rest of m-my day is free.” She gulped. “W-would you h-have time for a p-picnic after?” She winced, folding her wings over her head. “If you don't mind, that is...”

Big Mac stood up. He stepped over to her and gently lifted one of her wings, smiling down at her. “Yes, Miss Fluttershy. I reckon I'd have time for that. Thank you kindly for the invite.”

Fluttershy folded her wings back along her barrel. She stood up, her entire body trembling. “W-well thank you, but please, no 'Miss'. Fluttershy will do.” She paused. “If that's all right with you.”

Big Mac's eyes widened. A slow smile crossed his face. “Yup.”


Chip leaned forward over the table. “So Discord is pretty much unstoppable without the Rainbow of Light?”

Celestia, sitting opposite him, closed her eyes and shook her head. “Maybe not the only thing, but nothing else we tried back then worked. We could wound him, but whatever injuries he suffered healed almost instantaneously.”

Luna nodded. She sat next to her older sister, a cup of coffee hovering close to her. “Indeed. My most powerful spells and lightning hurt him, but ultimately were for naught.” She took a sip of coffee, her wings fluttering slightly. “It finally took reforging the Rainbow of Light into the Elements of Harmony to stop him. And now, the seals weaken,” she said, looking to the other occupants of the room.

Twilight, Megan, Mike, Danielle, Michelle, Shining Armor and Cadance sat or stood near the occupied table. Megan spoke up. “All right, at least you're aware of the problem. So break the seals where Twilight and the others have the Elements ready. Seal him back up and we'll shoot him into deep space or the heart of a star!”

Celestia shook her head. “A good idea, Megan, but I prefer to keep him close, observable.” She looked from her to Shining Armor. “Captain Armor, the Royal Guard is to post a twenty-four hour watch around Discord's statue. It is to be maintained at all times and at all costs. Anything odd is to be reported immediately. Is this understood?”

Shining Armor stood and bowed. “It will be done, your majesty.”

Chip rubbed his chin. “Wait, shouldn't that be Spanish Steel who gives that order?”

Celestia looked to Chip, nodding. “Very observant, Chip. Any other soldier, yes. The Royal Guard, however is under the control of Luna and myself.” She paused for a moment, as if to gather her thoughts. “Chip, Luna and I have told you much about Equestria, and you've told us much about Earth. When you go back, what will you tell President Abernathy?”

Chip glanced down at the table, drumming his fingers on the polished wood. “I can't set policy, but I can make recommendations.” He looked up at Celestia and Luna. “I'd recommend full diplomatic relations, technology and magic exchanges and the like. There's a lot we can learn from each other.” He barked a laugh. “There's one guy I know named Preston who'd kill to study your magic.”

Celestia stood up, bowing her head. “Thank you,” she said, tears glistening in her eyes. “Thank you, Chip. I just... thank you.”

Luna stood up and extended a wing over her sister in a hug. She looked to Chip. “May this day mark a new dawn for both our peoples, Chip.” She looked to Megan, still sitting on a cushion. “And thank you, Megan. Without you, Danny or Molly, none of this would even be possible.”

Megan's eyes darted about as everyone focused on her. A shaky smile crossed her lips and she blushed. “We just started it,” she mumbled, shrinking back a bit. “But you're welcome.”

Chip stood up, a slight whirring coming from his knees and ankles. He grabbed his briefcase, checked it and closed it. “Well, although I'd like to stay, I do have a report to file and a meeting with the President to attend.” He bowed to the princesses. “Thank you, Majesties.”

Celestia and Luna bowed back. “Thank you, Chip,” Celestia said. “I shall teleport you all back to Earh myself.

Luna bowed her head, clamping her lips shut. “And I shall retire for tonight's work. A good day to you all.” She nuzzled Celestia before trotting to the door, everyone standing in her wake. The door opened as she approached. Her body contracted, becoming an ephemeral mist that was carried away by the wind.

Celestia let out a sigh before smiling. “I have a good feeling about this.”

Mike's lips twitched. “Don't jinx yourself, Princess. It's a long road ahead.”

Celestia looked to him, inclining her head. “A good point, Mike, but I think we've taken our first step on it to a better future for us all.”