• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 35,886 Views, 1,329 Comments

The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds - RK_Striker_JK_5



An old legend from Equestria's past returns, but is there a place for her in this new world?

  • ...
53
 1,329
 35,886

Chapter Sixteen

Celestia glanced around as the entire group walked up to the edge of the Everfree. Twilight looked up at her. “Princess, are you all right?”

Celestia started and looked down at Twilight and Spike as he rode on her back. “Oh, sorry.” She resumed looking around as they stopped a few dozen feet from the gnarled trees. “I had invited Queen Rosedust of Flutter Province here for the birthday party, as well as Morning Glory and her family.” Her mane momentarily stopped flowing in the nonexistent wind. “Morning Glory was an old friend, and I was looking forward to her seeing Megan again.” Her eyes closed momentarily. “She was... hurt by a being named Discord.”

Megan appeared by her side. “Discord?”

Spike spoke up. “That doesn't sound like a nice guy.”

Celestia glanced over from Megan and then to Spike, her expression grim. “An ancient evil, the primordial manifestation of chaos incarnate.” She glanced over at Luna as she stood by Danny and Pinkie Pie. “Thirteen hundred years ago, he emerged to wreak havoc. Luna and I managed to defeat him after a month, but the damage had been done.” Her eyes closed. “Morning Glory had been... tortured by that thing for nearly a week. And Queen Rosedust decided the flutter ponies should stay in Flutter Valley.”

Megan covered her mouth with a hand, but a gasp still escaped. “My god!” she exclaimed. “Morning Glory, tortured by that... thing?” She closed her eyes. “Discord... the Rainbow of Light?”

Celestia wrapped a wing around Megan. “After a fashion...”


The bruised and bloodied Alicorn circled around Discord, the golden case on her armor opening up. “Time to end this!” Celestia yelled, facing the mismatched abomination. Thunder crashed and lightning flashed in the blood-red skies above Paradise City.

The casing opened and the Rainbow of Light shot forth. Discord held up his hands and a barrier formed around him. His muzzle tightened in a grimace as the Rainbow strobed around him, battering at his protection... but it held firm.

As the Rainbow weaved off, Discord fired a blast from his lion's paw right arm at Celestia, striking the casing full-on. Celestia cried out in equal parts pain and shock as the casing shattered from the initial impact. The rest of the energy washed over her, bolts of lightning playing over her coat before Celestia tumbled to the ground below.

Discord's arms trembled and he panted. “That was... intense.” He watched the Rainbow fly around, back to the ground where the shards had landed. It hit the shards and glowed briefly before dying out. “Arriverderci, Rainbow!” he said, tossing off a salute before vanishing in a flash of light.

Luna and Rosedust appeared on the horizon, the former diving at Celestia. Luna's horn glowed and she grabbed Celestia with her magic, slowing her descent. She set Celestia down on the cracked ground and nudged her. “Celestia?”

Celestia's eyes fluttered open. She bolted to her hooves, head darting around. “The Rainbow? What happened to it?”

Rosedust landed near the Alicorns. Her ephemeral wings glowed and the shattered remnants of the casing floated over. “He destroyed it.” she said, head drooping.

Celestia's eyes widened and her mouth dropped. “No, nononono!” She stomped the ground. “It can't be destroyed! It survived the Smooze, Megan leaving, the Griffin Empire and a dozen other things!” Her eyes focused on the shards and she took them from Rosedust.

Luna glanced at Celestia. “But what can we do with these shards?”

Celestia paced back and forth, pink mane swishing about. “The Rainbow vanished into the shards... maybe if we reforge them, we can use it again!” She struck a hoof on the ground, cracking the dirt. “Yes!”

Rosedust looked at the floating shards. “But even if you can, how will that help? Discord already beat the Rainbow of Light!”

Celestia looked to her. “You're right. Even with my magic, it simply wasn't enough.” She tossed her head back and whinnied. “Oh, if only I had more power!”

There was silence among the three for a few minutes before Luna spoke up. “Well, can I help?” She paused as Rosedust and Celestia looked at her. “I guess not,” she murmured kicking the ground.

Celestia ran up, wrapping her forelegs around Luna's neck and hugging her. “Luna, that's brilliant!” She brought the shards up in front of her. “Why make one Rainbow of Light when we can make two sets, one for each of us?”

Rosedust trotted up to the pair. “Luna, that IS brilliant!” Her expression suddenly fell. “But how? And where can you reforge this?”

Luna slowly looked to the west. “The Dragon Clans,” she stated. “Their smiths there can work miracles. And we have at least a Clan leader on our side.” She looked back to Celestia and Rosedust. “Besides, if Equestria falls, Discord won't stay here for long. He'll search out other lands and destroy them too.”

Celestia's wings unfurled. “Then what are we waiting for?” She hopped into the air, but landed just as quickly on shaky legs. “Ow...”

Luna concentrated and Celestia began floating. “You're in no condition to fly to the Clans!” she admonished. “We have to get you to the Princess Ponies first to heal, then to the west. It's a two-day journey there and you have to last!”

Rosedust turned and began galloping off. “The flutter ponies shall hold the line!” she shouted over her shoulder, gossamer wings beating as she rose into the air. “Just be quick about it!”


“It was over a week before we returned,” Celestia said, voice somewhat hoarse. She cleared her throat. “By then, the flutter ponies had taken the brunt of Discord's wrath, and Paradise City had been heavily damaged. Luna and I used the Elements of Harmony to seal him in stone, and we placed him at the entrance of the hedge maze we passed before entering the Dream Valley Memorial.” She sighed. “I wish I could simply smash it, but I don't know if that would kill him, or release him.”

Megan hugged Celestia for a moment. “So Morning Glory was... is still in some sort of walking coma?” At Celestia's nod she closed her eyes. “I hope they get here. I need to see her, and Rosedust. I have to make things right between us.”

Celestia let a small smile play about her lips. “In her heart, she doesn't blame you, Megan. I know it.”

Twilight cleared her throat, catching Celestia's and Megan's attention. “Pardon me, Princess, but with the Elements now out of your control, what about the seal over Discord? Is it affected in any way?”

Spike waved her off. “Aw, don't worry, Twilight! With you and the gang, no way Discord could stand a chance!”

The Princess shrugged. “A noble sentiment, Spike, but I'm not sure.” She locked eyes with Twilight. “I wish I could tell you, Twilight. I haven't had a real chance to check him magically for a while.” She looked up in the direction of Canterlot, far in the distance. “When we get back, I'll do that first thing.” She nodded to Twilight. “Thank you, Twilight. That was an excellent idea.”

Twilight's cheeks blushed slightly. “Thank you, Princess!” she said, hopping up and down around both Megan and Celestia and knocking Spike off her back

Megan snorted. “Teacher's pet,” she muttered, smirking.

“You have no idea,” Spike said, rubbing his tail.

Twilight stopped her bouncing and glared at Megan, but commotion from around Danny drew their attention. Twilight glanced over as Dash rolled around on the ground, clutching her sides with her forelegs. Luna stood behind Danny, her own cheeks a bright purple. “What the hay's going on over there?”


Danny's wheelchair rolled to a stop near a half-buried log. He looked at the wheels as they glowed faintly in the sunlight. “Luna?”

Luna's head craned over his shoulder. “Yes, Danny?”

He rolled over the log, the chair remaining level as he easily overcame the obstacle. “This enchantment on my wheelchair, is it permanent?” He spun around, a big grin on his face. “Because I can get used to this, easily!”

Luna nodded. “Our magic seems to work fine on Earth, so it should be no problem there.” Her eyebrows furrowed. “I'm surprised technology hasn't progressed where you still need the wheelchair, to be honest, especially with those visitors from the stars you told us about. Those metal men?”

Danny shrugged. “The Autobots?” He leaned back and looked to the sky. “We got a lot of nice stuff from them, but most of it was military gear for the longest time. There's a lot of medical advances coming through, but a lot of it's hideously expensive.” He grabbed the wheels and rocked back and forth. “And right now, this works out pretty well as a compromise.” He smiled at her. “Thanks, old friend.”

Dash floated over and looked Danny over. She hesitated for a moment. “Danny, right?” At his nod, she continued. “So, what happened?”

Luna's mane flared, but Danny held up a hand. “It's all right, Luna.” He looked himself over. “You mean, why am I in a wheelchair?” At her sheepish nod, Danny shrugged. “For the moment, let's just say I rolled the dice one too many times and it came up snake eyes.”

Fluttershy trotted up and gently placed a hoof on Danny's arm. Her eyes brimmed with unshed tears. “I'm so sorry,” she said. “Is there anything we can do to help?”

Danny swallowed and placed his other hand over Fluttershy's hoof, squeezing gently. “No worries,” he whispered. He glanced over his shoulder at Luna. “What happened was bad, but if I didn't act when I did? A close friend wouldn't be here today. So I don't regret what happened.”

Luna leaned forward and nuzzled Danny's shoulder. “Thank you,” she whispered.

Danny patted her cheek. “You're welcome.” He suddenly leaned forward, pulling the photo album out from underneath his wheelchair. “Now, then. Who would like to see embarrassing photos of Celestia?” he announced, holding the album up.

Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Applejack suddenly appeared around Danny and Luna. “Can we see? Can we, please? Oh, please oh please with sugar on top and bottom?” Pinkie Pie asked, head twisting around as she flashed puppy-dog eyes at Danny.

Luna rubbed her forehead with a hoof. “Danny, I'm not so sure this is a good idea.”

Danny smirked and opened the album. “I'll save any embarrassing pictures of you for later. But for now, I think they should see the sillier side of Celestia.” He licked his lips and cracked his jaw. “And try saying that five times fast.”

He pulled out a photo of a younger and smaller Celestia, only a little larger than the pair of ponies she stood in front of. Her mane had been dyed black, and thick eyeliner was drawn under her eyes. She wore fishnets on all four legs and heavy chains around her neck. Danny waved the picture about, letting the ponies get a good look at it. “This is Celestia after discovering a music act on Earth.”


Celestia stomped her hooves and growled. “Magic Star, Wind Whistler, you don't understand!” she cried. “The Cure is my life! They speak to me and my soul...”


Dash fell back, rolling on the ground and clutching her sides with laughter. She wiped her eyes and struggled to her hooves, only to fall back down when she glanced at the picture again. She took several deep breaths before rising once more, this time staying upright. “Oh my gosh!” she blurted out. “Princess Celestia was... HAH!”

A shadow fell upon Dash and she looked up, spotting Celestia standing there. She scrambled back, swallowing as sweat broke out on her forehead. “Heh, Princess! You're looking... rather not as odd as in the picture.” She suddenly hopped up and flew behind Danny and his wheelchair, peeking out over his armrest.

Celestia groaned as the picture floated up to her. She took one look at it and rolled her eyes. “Oh, sweet Herd, I remember this one.” She sent the picture back to the album. “Danny, why did you do that?” she asked, her voice pitching higher than normal.

Danny waggled a finger at her. “I'm your adoptive uncle, Celestia. It's my job to embarrass you.” He waved at the Princess Ponies as they stood around Mike, Michelle and Danielle, chatting. “Besides, most of us here already know about your early days.” He tilted his head. “Or shall I show them the Princess Bride pageant you and Luna put on?”

Luna's eyes widened and she hunkered down. “Danny, please!” But a moment later, she shot back up. “Spykoran approaches!”

Celestia glanced up as two large blobs in the sky began resolving themselves. “And he brought company.” She looked to her sister and grinned. “Would you care to do the honors, Luna?”

Luna nodded and stepped around Danny, making sure he was in back before raising a hoof and opening her mouth. “Attention, everyone! King Spykoran the Old shall be arriving momentarily! Please gather together near the edge, as Celestia senses another dragon accompanying him. Thank you!”

Everyone picked themselves up and began moving to the edge of the field, close to the outer edge of Ponyville. A few minute later, two dragons dropped out of the sky. An ancient dragon, towering over everything around, landed, shaking everything and everyone with his massive body. His long, sinewy neck stretched out and his mouth opened, letting loose with a geyser of flame. His back and limbs were a deep violet, while his belly and face were lighter purple. Green spines trailed down his back, starting from the top of his head and going down to his tail.

The second dragon slithered through the air, a long, serpentine creature. She circled around in the air before touching down, making almost no sound save for her raspy breathing. Her hands, though small compared to the rest of her body, were still large enough to grab an Alicorn easily. Her long body was deep blue, almost black, with bright-red eyes that stood out all the more.

Mike stared at the two dragons, mouth hanging open and heartbeat almost audible. He inched over to Michelle and Danielle as they too stood there, in shock with open mouths. He stood in front of them and sucked in a breath. “Stay behind me,” he whispered. He looked back up at the larger dragon and shuddered. “My, god. It's... it's a dragon! It's huge and breathes fire and it's a dragon!”

Megan stepped over to Mike, Michelle and Danielle, eyes darting back and forth between the two. She held her rifle in a two-handed grip, knuckles white. She stood by Mike's side, in front of their children. She looked to Celestia and Luna as the two Alicorns stood still, neither one moving so much as a feather. “Okay, Mike? Celestia and Luna look rather... calm, there.” She swallowed and sucked in a deep breath before continuing. “I don't think they're gonna harm us.”

Danielle blinked and grabbed her mother's arm. “I really hope you're right, Mom. 'Cause I don't think your rifle's gonna put a dent in his scales.”

The smaller dragon focused her jewel-like eyes on Megan and spoke, her voice like muted thunder. “Indeed not.” She placed a hand on her body. “I am Mei Long, leader of the Eastern Clan. And that?” She waved at the huge dragon. “That is Spykoran the Old, King of the Dragon Clans.” She snorted, blowing out a long stream of smoke. “He always has been a showoff.”

Fluttershy's eyes widened. “H-he is?” She pawed at the ground and snorted. “He's just showing off and being some big jerk like that when he doesn't have to!” She looked to Danielle and Michelle as they stood behind Megan and Mike. “He's scaring those children for no reason!” She tilted her head down and her eyes narrowed. “How DARE he?!” she said before spreading her wings out and leaping into the air.

Rarity gasped as Fluttershy flew up and up and up to Spykoran's face. “Oh, no!” she shouted. “I think Fluttershy is going to give him The Stare!” She held a foreleg to her forehead. “This is not good!”

Molly looked over from where she stood, by Danny and Tiffany. “The what? The Stare? What's she gonna try and do, give him the evil eye? She could stand up in his mouth!”

Twilight glanced up at Celestia. “Princess, Fluttershy stared down that red dragon in the cave and that cockatrice in the Everfree Forest!” She shook her head. “Spykoran is larger, but her Stare makes almost anyone wilt under it.”

Luna spoke up. “I read those reports, Twilight Sparkle. That dragon was the youngest son of Jormun the red, another council member.” She glanced at Twilight out of the corner of her eye and smirked. “For a dragon, he was a mere baby at only a hundred years old.” She looked up as Fluttershy, by now a large dot, hovered in front of Spykoran's snout. “Spykoran is older than Celestia and I.”


Fluttershy hovered in front of Spykoran and crossed her forelegs. “Listen, mister!” she shouted, gaining his attention. “I know you're big and powerful, but that doesn't give you any right to thrash about here, scaring kids and acting like you're all powerful! Now you turn right around and apologize to everyone for being such a meanie!” She flew closer, hovering close to his eye. “You got that?”

Spykoran snorted. He covered his snout with a hand, but laughter quickly burst forth. He leaned to the side, his laughter echoing for miles. “Haha! Oh, what a lovely glare you have, young filly!” He straightened up, wiping his eyes before staring right back at Fluttershy. “You must be the one who stared down Jormun's son a few months ago. I had quite a laugh when he flew back, tail between his legs. Oh, but his father gave him such a scolding.” He leaned in close and held his hand up to his snout, as if to impart some great secret.. “It's not nice for dragons to take naps in Equestria, you see.”

Fluttershy's eyes widened and suddenly rolled into the back of her head. Her wings snapped shut and her legs kicked at the air as she suddenly plummeted to the ground. Spykoran's hand snaked out, catching her. “Your heart was in the right place,” he murmured, placing her next to the group on the ground, “but I'm afraid it's necessary to have a show of dominance for the outcast.”

Celestia and Luna stepped forward, bowing their heads. “Greeting, King Spykoran,” Celestia said, raising her head. “May your scales remain intact and your hoard immense.” She motioned to the side and the hole. “I do ask that you be careful concerning the hole in space. It's the only way for some very special people to make it back home.”

Spykoran bowed at the waist. “Greetings to you, Princesses Celestia and Luna. May your feathers remain clean and your horns shiny.” A snort of laughter escaped him. “These greetings are rather stupid, wouldn't you agree? As for the hole, it shall not be harmed during my judgement. Speaking of which.” He straightened back up and turned, facing the Everfree Forest. “Come out, outcast! I give you a fair chance to be heard for your actions!”


Down below, Rarity turned to Applejack. “His hoard must be huge!” Her eyes lit up. “So many gems, gold and diamonds...” She trailed off, a faraway look in her eyes and a slight bit of drool coming from her mouth.

Mei Long chuckled. “Spykoran the Old has no hoard. The King of the Dragon Clans relinquishes everything he or she has collected.” She raised a hand and clenched it into a fist, pounding the ground and shaking everyone around. “If they have a hoard to lounge about on, how can they support the Clans?”

Mike slowly stepped away from Danielle, Michelle and Megan and walked up to Mei Long. “So, dragons here have hoards?” He flinched as she turned to stare at him. “I m-mean I w-was just wondering, ma'am!”

Mei Long chuckled and spread her arms out. “I apologize if I startled you...”

Mike bowed at the waist. “Mike Richards, ma'am. An honor to meet you.”

Mei Long returned the bow. “And a pleasure for me. Tell me, you are a human, correct? From over the rainbow and Earth?” At his nod, she stroked her chin, brushing her whiskers. “Is one named Megan among you?”

Megan stepped forward and stood beside her husband. She curtsied and nodded to Mei Long. “My name is Megan; may I ask how you know of me?”

Mei Long focused on Megan. She slithered forward, coming to within a few feet of her. She grinned as Megan and Mike both stood there, holding hands. “An old friend told me about you, and if you stand here like that, then the tales he told were true.” Her gaze flickered over to Spykoran. “I believe we should pay attention to this.”


Spykoran walked up to the Everfree's edge, stopping. The green dragon suddenly burst from the canopy and reared back. His mouth opened and a long stream of flame jetted forth, striking Spykoran right in the chest.

Spykoran snorted as the flame licked his scales, doing little more than singing them. “This is the best you have? My last birthday cake had hotter flames!” He hopped up, sailing over the Everfree and landing right next to the green dragon, flames still striking his scales. He stood over the green dragon, the latter barely reaching his breastbone. “Such a young pup we have here!”

He reached out and grabbed the dragon's mouth, clamping it shut with one hand. The dragon hopped up, but Spykoran tugged, sending him back to the forest with a crash and laying waste to dozens of trees. “Now that we have established that I can rip your head from your body with a tug, will you come with me peacefully?”

The green dragon grunted, but remained still. Spykoran nodded and jumped up, flying over the Everfree and landing back in the clearing. He looked at the green dragon with cold eyes. “Try anything, and you die.” And with that, he let go.

The green dragon stabbed a talon at Spike and Twilight. “The young one stole from my hoard!” he bellowed. “And they brush it off as nothing!”

Spykoran turned and looked down at Spike and Twilight, crossing his arms. “Is this true, young one? Speak the whole truth, too. Leave nothing out.”

Spike and Twilight walked forward. Spike looked up and up at Spykoran and the green dragon. He fiddled his thumbs. “Well... I took some gems, but I didn't know they were his!” He kicked at the ground. “Twilight and I had a bad argument and I had run off into the Everfree Forest, like some brat.”

Twilight spoke up. “Spike, you weren't that bad!” She looked to Spykoran. “Your majesty, Spike is a young dragon and did not know any better. If there's somepony to blame, it's me.”

Spykoran glanced at the two. His nostrils flared and he cocked his head to the side. “That smell...” He shook it off. “Later.” He looked to the green dragon. “Well, they ran off. Did you interact with them at all, beyond spewing your smoke over Equestria?”

Rarity stepped forward. “Your majesty?” she shouted, waving a hoof. “Yes, two days later, Twilight, Spike and I went to the cavern to offer restitution.” She cocked her head to the side. “I don't mean to sound too immodest, but I have a rather good talent for finding gems.”

Spykoran laughed. “If your dress is any indication, you understate your prowess.”

Rarity blushed. “Oh, why thank you! Anyway, we offered to not only replace the gems Spike ate, but to include three carts full of the tastiest gems I could find.” She snorted. “I could be wrong, but I think that's rather fair, don't you? Instead he's spewing this smoke all over and nearly kills poor Spike, Twilight and even Rainbow Dash!” She stuck her lower lip out. “Can you believe it?!”

Spykoran looked to the green dragon, who was now ducking his head. “That is rather generous for an honest mistake. Wouldn't you agree?”

The green dragon growled and blew smoke from his nostrils, but nodded.

Spykoran spread his arms wide. “Young one, I give you one week to give this outcast what you promised. If by the end of the week you have not delivered, then you shall fly to the Dragon Lands and seek an audience with me.” He placed a hand on his chest. “I shall listen if you come.”

The green dragon dipped his head low. “Thank you.” He looked to Spike and clenched his fists. “One week!” And with that, he turned and flew up and over the Everfree, landing in the large hole in the canopy above his cave.

Spykoran turned and looked down. His eyes shifted back and forth before they landed on Megan. He motioned to her. “Excuse me, but you have been silent throughout this exchange.” He rubbed his chin and chuckled. “I am eager to hear your opinion on such matters. Do not worry, either. I swear no harm shall come to you.”

Megan's head darted around before she waved at herself. “Me?” At his nod, she squeezed Mike's hand before letting go and stepping forward through the crowd. She dropped to one knee and bowed her head. “Thank you, your majesty.” She rose and looked up. “I think your judgment was sound. There's a time for being gentle, and a time for being strong. With this dragon, you had to be strong and firm. But you also listened to his side of the story, and not just Spike's.” She shrugged. “I think... you did a good job?”

Spykoran smiled and nodded. “Thank you, my dear! I'm most grateful for your kind words, Miss...”

Megan gasped slightly and her cheeks reddened. “Oh, sorry. My name is Megan Richards, your majesty.”

Spykoran bent down and looked Megan over. His mouth opened a few times before he finally spoke. “Megan, do you not... know who I am?” He suddenly looked himself over. “Perhaps not. Megan, I ask you to think back to your youth and-”

Megan's hand suddenly flew to her mouth as she gasped. “SPIKE?!” She ran forward, leaning back and looking up at him. “Oh god oh god oh god it it really you?”

Molly and Danny burst forth to Megan's side. Molly hopped up and down and pointed at him. “Holy cow, it is him!”

Danny crossed his arms and shook his head. He rolled up to his foot and tapped it. “Man, what have you been eating?” He barked a laugh. “I can't believe it. Our little Spike is the king of the dragons?”

Spykoran spread his arms wide and grinned, even as tears streamed down his cheeks and splashed down on the ground. “By the Pyre, my friends! Oh this is wonderful!” He wiped his eyes and scrunched down, bringing his head right to the ground. “How are you?”

Megan ran forward and spread her arms out as far as they could go. She pressed up against his muzzle and leaned on it in her best effort at a hug. “I can't believe it,” she said, voice hitching slightly. She puckered up and planted a kiss on his muzzle, but spat out a second later. “Urgh, tastes like ash!”

Molly walked up and patted his muzzle, shaking her head. “Well, what'd you expect from a full-grown dragon?” She rubbed his smooth skin. “Damn, I missed you.”

Danny joined his siblings and stared Spykoran in his huge eye. “To think of all those pranks you, Surprise and I used to play on everyone else. And now this?” His mouth stretched out in a wide grin. “Spike, you are boss!”

Spykoran rumbled. “Thank you, thank you my friends!” His eyes darted back and forth, taking them in. “But what of you? What have you been up to on Earth? Please, tell me all!”

Megan stepped back and turned around. She waved at Mike, Michelle and Danielle, who walked up. She stepped back to Mike's side. “Spike, sorry, Spykoran-”

Spykoran waved her off. “For you, Megan, Spike is fine.”

Megan paused and swallowed, blinking. “Thank you,” she said, voice hoarse. She cleared her throat. “Spike, this is my husband Mike and my two wonderful daughters Michelle and Danielle.” She motioned to each one. “I work at a horse ranch and... well, I write children's books.” She leaned forward. “They're about Ponyland, and Paradise Estate.”

Spykoran snorted, blowing out a plume of smoke. “I take it the comical misadventures of young Spike are one of the main draws of these novels?”

Megan shook her head. “More like the well-meaning Spike who sometimes had more common sense than most of the ponies, or 'horsy's', as I renamed them.” She sighed and turned around, looking at Celestia and Luna. “So, young fillies. Mind telling me when you were gonna let this out?” She crossed her arms and tapped her foot on the ground. “Well?”

Tiffany and Starburst both snickered as the Alicorns both bit their lips and brought their wings over their heads. “I-it wasn't a joke or anything like that!” Celestia said.

Luna nodded. “W-we just wanted a surprise for you, that's all!”

Pinkie Pie reached behind her and pulled a handkerchief out of... somewhere. She held it up to her nose and blew into it loudly as tears cascaded down from her eyes. “Oh, this is so wonderful! Old friends reunited after so long!” She threw her forelegs into the air and confetti rained down. “This calls for a party!”

Mike blew at some of the confetti. “How did she do that?”

Megan shrugged. “Not a clue.” She looked to Pinkie. “There's a party being held at the library already, Pinkie Pie! We don't need another one!”

Pinkie suddenly leapt into the air and gasped. “Ah, what? There's never enough parties, Megan!” She hopped over and bounced around. “Come on, we can hold a 'reuniting old friends' party in addition to your welcome-back party!” She stood up on her hindlegs and placed her forelegs on Megan's shoulders. “Please?” she pouted.

Megan rolled her eyes. “Pinkie... all right. We can have another party.” She held up her index finger. “But just one more, got it?”

Pinkie jumped several feet into the air before galloping off in the direction of the library. Rainbow Dash placed a foreleg over her eyes. “Oh, she's not coming down for days, now.” She looked over at Mei Long, then at Spykoran. “You two even gonna fit around the library?”

Spykoran straightened himself out, stretching up to the sky. “I can be remarkably compact when I wish to be,” he said, winking. He looked to Mei Long. “It looks like Jormun will be starting without us.”

Mei Long slithered around, shaking her head. “As you and I both knew he would.” She glided up into the air, twisting and turning about.

As the Princess Ponies, Luna, Molly, Danny, Mike, Danielle, Michelle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy turned and left the field, Spykoran suddenly focused on Spike. “Young one, please come forth.”

Spike's eyes widened. “Me?” At Spykoran's nod, he slowly walked forward, Twilight by his side. They stopped next to Megan and her family. “Am I ever gonna be that big?” he wondered aloud.

Spykoran chuckled. “Was I ever that small?” He bent his long neck down and looked Spike over. “Tell me, why do you live amongst the ponies? What is your tale?”

Spike shrugged. “Not much to tell. Twilight hatched my egg during her entrance exam for the School of Gifted Unicorns, proving she's the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria!” He pumped a fist into the air at the end.

Twilight blushed slightly. “Oh, Spike. I'm not that powerful!”

Spike groaned. “But you're the best, Twilight!” He looked up at Spykoran. “Not only did she hatch me, but she helped defeat Nightmare Moon, stop an Ursa Minor, help Applejack with her applebucking and...” He held the back of his hand up to his mouth. “She grew a mustache on me!”

Spykoran's mouth dropped. "Such power!” he exclaimed. “A real mustache?”

Spike nodded, grinning. “It was so cool!”

Spykoran looked past Twilight and focused on Celestia. “Tell me, old friend. Where did you find his egg?”

Celestia looked up. She cocked an eyebrow before speaking. “I found it about fifty years ago, in the ruins of the nests of Dargoth.” She looked to the ground and sighed. “The Ursas left... little.”

Spykoran bared his fangs and clenched his fists. “I remember... ALL TOO WELL what happened there, Celestia. We let the bears roam far too south, and Dargoth paid the price.”

Twilight looked to Spike, then to Celestia and finally to Spykoran. “Your majesty, is there something about... about Spike I should know about?” She dug a hoof into the ground and bit her lip. “I mean if it's-”

Spykoran waved her off. “There is nothing wrong, Twilight.” He placed a hand on his chest. “I am sorry if I worried you. Please, let us go to the party. I feel the pink one has things in full swing by now.” And with that, he spread his wings out and flew straight up, soaring over to Ponyville.

Megan ran up to Celestia as she turned and began trotting down the path. She slowed down as she caught up to the Alicorn and the two walked side-by-side. “It was good to see Spike,” Megan said. She looked to Celestia and frowned. “What is it?”

Celestia shook her head. “I'm worried about Rosedust, Morning Glory and her family.” She looked up at the sun. “Rosedust might not have come, but I know Sparkling Dawn and Blazing Day wanted to take Morning Glory to the party.”

Megan nodded and patted Celestia on her crest. “Don't worry, Celestia. I have a feeling they'll be here.” She stopped and looked down. “I hope.”


Trixie eyed the four odd ponies standing in front of her hovel. She raised a hoof and pointed out, across the Everfree. “Ponyville is on the edge of the Everfree Forest,” she said. “Simply turn left while leaving here and stick to the edge...” She looked down at their gossamer wings and sighed. “I'm sorry, who are you?”

Rosedust grumbled and flapped her wings. “Yes, I suppose thirteen hundred years is a long time.” She reared back and spread her forelegs. “I am Queen Rosedust of Flutter Valley!” She dropped back down to all fours and motioned to her left with her head. “And this is Morning Glory, her husband Sparkling Dawn and their son Blazing Day. We're old friends of Princesses Celestia and Luna.”

Trixie's eyes bugged out. “The princesses?” She dropped down, touching her forehead to the ground. “I had no idea!”

Rosedust placed a hoof on her shoulder and half-smiled. “It's quite all right, Trixie. We thank you for the directions.”

Trixie slowly rose. “You're welcome, Queen Rosedust.” She glanced over at Morning Glory as she stood there, slowly waving back and forth on her hooves. “Pardon me, but is she all right?” She squinted. “Her coat is... rather more gray than normal.”

Sparkling Dawn sighed. He rubbed a foreleg along Morning Glory's back. “She was... hurt a long time ago, and she never recovered. We're going to Ponyville to see an old friend, and hopefully she'll feel better.”

Trixie bit her lip and furrowed her eyebrows. She suddenly reared back. “Well then watch as the Great Trixie performs a feat of magic!” She held her forelegs out and with a puff of smoke, a bouquet of flowers appeared. She dropped back down and laid them at Morning Glory's hooves. “Someone with friends and family shouldn't be so sad.” She looked to Sparkling Dawn. “I hope whoever's in Ponyville can help her.”

Sparkling Dawn smiled and bent down. He gently gripped the bouquet in his teeth and nodded his thanks to Trixie before turning. He and Blazing Day stood on either side of Morning Glory and began guiding her away down a dirt path, away from Hoofington.

Rosedust glanced at the family as they trotted away. “Thank you, Trixie,” she said, looking back to the blue unicorn before turning around and catching up with the other flutter ponies.

Trixie waved a hoof at them before tuning and going back inside. She walked through the living room and into the kitchen. On the wall, next to the corkboard was a calender and a date circled in bright red. “Eleven days,” she announced, looking at the calender. “Look out, Ponyville! Trixie's coming back!”