• Published 23rd Nov 2011
  • 7,972 Views, 64 Comments

Pinkiemania - Apocalypse Pony



The greatest foe lies within the self.

  • ...
0
 64
 7,972

Stand Up Tall

“Mom! I need you and dad and the sisters to come in here, quick!”

This was it. The balloons were positioned perfectly, the cake was made to the best of her ability, and just the exact amount of confetti bits were scattered about the floor. If all went according to plan, Pinkie Pie’s very first party would go off without a hitch, and her whole family would get to enjoy themselves too!

The pink blur darted about the cylindrical room that was the grain silo, double--no, triple--quadruple checking each and every aspect to make sure everything was perfect! Even after repeatedly confirming that everything was prepared, she still had her doubts, since there wasn’t any real planning involved in the sudden urge to prepare a surprise party. A mere few hours ago the polychromatic explosion changed her outlook on life and she needed an outlet, otherwise she may have exploded, literally or otherwise.

After making absolutely sure everything was in the right position, she stood still in front of the door, eagerly awaiting her family’s arrival and wearing a grin that threatened to rip her cheeks apart.

“Oh, they’re just going to love this!”

“Wait, we still think this is a good idea?”

Pinkie paused her train of thought. What was that voice? She turned around and scanned the area for anypony else in the room. Seeing that there was nothing else capable of talking, she shook her head and scolded herself.

“Silly Pinkie, you’re just hearing things!”

“The only thing we’re hearing is yourself.”

On cue, a puce colored earth pony casually trotted from behind the center table in the room. She had a scowl on her face, as if she ate something sour and it left a permanent bitter taste in her mouth, and her muted pink cascading mane and tail matched nearly matched her darkened pink coat perfectly, as well as the mane hiding half her face like a curtain. Each time she turned her head to glare at the balloons her facial expression grew darker, as if she were trying to will the balloons into bursting. Despite her hostile appearance, Pinkie greeted her with her cheerful disposition.

“Hi! My name’s Pinkamena Diane Pie but I think Pinkie Pie sounds better although I came up with that a couple minutes ago what’s your name huh huh huh!?” By the time she finished her sentence she was pressed nose-to-nose with her mirror image, before the other pony retracted and turned away.

“I dont know about ‘Pinkie’ being a good name, sounds stupid in my opinion. We should already know what my name is, now shouldn’t we?” She waited expectantly for an answer, but Pinkie stared at her, smiling obliviously. She facehoofed in response. “Think about it; we look the same, we nearly sound the same, and we’re the same height. Only difference is that one is smarter than the other.” For the most part she was right; one would be spitting images of the other if it weren't for the vivid tone of Pinkie Pie's coat and mane, the style of their manes, and her bitter doppleganger’s voice being quieter, but carrying an audible venom in it that would make anypony cringe.

“....Your name’s Bruce, isn’t it?”

The muted pink pony gave a heavy sigh and dragged a hoof down her face before walking up to Pinkie and putting her forehooves on Pinkie’s face in order to ensure her clarity.

“Listening? Okay, my name, since it isn’t obvious enough, is Pinkamena. Pink-a-me-na, get it? Got it? Good. Now about this so-called party you have here-”

“Waitwaitwait, how can you be Pinkie if I’m Pinkie?”

“BECAUSE WE’RE THE SAME PONY!”

"Nuh uh! We cant be the same pony because if you’re me and I’m me than that means that you aren’t me because I cant see me unless I’m looking in a mirror and I’m not looking in a mirror so that means-” She paused for a breath, “that means that you’re somepony else that looks like me so I’m me and you’re not me.” She ended her theory with a a grin that irritated her near-copy further.

Pinkamena groaned and sat down, preparing for what might become a long ordeal. Despite how irritated she obviously was, the party pony giggled obliviously, the idea of two of herself sounding ridiculous to her.

Pinkamena decided to try reasoning with her. “Okay, let me prove it. We were born in August.”

Pinkie responded by sticking her tongue out at her. “That’s kinda easy, try something harder!”

“We’re the youngest of our sisters.”

“Well I am the shortest one!”

“Our favorite color is maple brown.”

“Good one! I don’t think I’ve ever told anypony that.”

“We cracked our left hoof when we were five while trying to move rocks.”

Pinkie laughed nervously and looked away. “Well I guess that’s one only I would know...”

She's starting to crack' “We snuck off the farm one night to go to the Hoofington fair.”

She didn’t respond. Pinkamena advanced again, confident in her next statement striking a chord.

“The name of that stupid pile of rocks behind the barn that we talk to is-”

“A-alright alright!...m-maybe you are me!” Pinkie finally caved in, shaken by the sensitive subject . She began to pout and she stared down at the floor.

The bitter puce pony smirked and began pacing about the room,“Now that that’s out of the way, you’re probably wondering why you’re able to talk to yourself right now, and since we aren’t a psychologist I’ll try to explain.” She ceased her pacing and stood in front of Pinkie.

“Because of a bucking prismatic explosion we saw earlier today, we got split down the middle. This means that you’re an annoying prickwhile I’m the sane one. Now, I think we can both agree that this party wasn’t one of our best ideas, so how about we just take all these eyesores down, throw them in the trash, and act like nothing happened, how does that sound?" Pinkie glanced at her and frowned. Why should she dismantle what she worked so hard to put together?

“B-but," stammered Pinkie. "But this is a great idea! Why should we give up on it when it’ll let my parents have fun for once in their lives?” reasoned Pinkie. Pinkamena scoffed and began walking in slow circles around her, giving the lighter colored pony a nervous feeling.

Pinkamena took turns between looking at the party materials and her counterpart as she spoke, “Get real, Pinkie. Our family wouldn’t know fun if they had it shoved up their flanks! We live on a rock farm and push rocks around in a field all day, not exactly the definition of fun, ya know. As soon as they walk in here we’re going to look like an idiot and they’ll think we stole supplies from the fair!”. Her choice of words and audible hostility began to scare Pinkie.

Why is she so bitter? Why cant she just go away? Pinkie frowned at her. The presence of the puce colored pony vexed Pinkie; she was everything she wasn’t, and Pinkie vice-versa. It was as if the puce earth pony’s very purpose to antagonize her.

Pinkie broke eye contact with her and began staring at the floor, but Pinkamena continued on with her bad-mouthing and began to grin, enjoying the fruits of her verbal abuse.

“If I’m bothering you that much, why don’t you tell mom and dad about it? Oh wait, I’m all in your head, which means they’ll just think you’re crazy!”. Pinkamena snickered and stopped circling Pinkie and waited for her comeback.

Pinkie mumbled in a low, agitated voice, “I’m not crazy.”

Pinkamena burst out laughing and tumbled onto her back, “If I’m here then that means you’re a nutcase!

Pinkie was silent for a moment before she slowly lifted her head to look at her double, a calm frown on her face as she began to talk.

“Now that I think about it, I feel kinda sorry for you. If....if what you say is true, and you really are my other half, then you don’t get to have as much fun as me,” Her brow furrowed as her frown rose up into a smile. Pinkie Pie began to radiate confidence and determination as she walked closer towards Pinkamena, asserting herself. “But just because you have to be a sourpuss, doesn’t mean you can make me one too!". She came even closer to the bitter pony as her smile turned into a smug grin, and whispered in her ear.

“I’m having fun, and you can't stop me.”

Pinkamena hastily backed away with a panicked expression on her face, but she quickly righted her composure, once again glaring at Pinkie, but this time, it had little to no effect.

“Well excuse me for trying to save us from a really bad idea!”, hissed Pinkamena. “Just watch, there is no possible way they would enjoy anything like this!” She spun around on her front hooves to buck a table over, but her hind hooves phased through the table. Pinkie merely nodded her head and maintained her smug expression, Pinkamena fumed in response as she walked toward Pinkie, looking her in the eye as she spoke.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you, Pinkie.”

Pinkamena then reared up on her hind legs and brought her hooves down upon Pinkie Pie’s head. All that Pinkie saw after she struck her was a flash of white, and then she was sitting facing the door, in the same position she was in as she waited for her family. There was no pain in her head either; It was as if the other pony simply never was there. She heard a whisper in her ear as she looked about the room for her.

‘Don't think this is the last time we’ll meet, Pinkamena Diane Pie.’

The pink pony gave up the search and faced toward the door again, the confrontation with her other self pushed to the back of her mind as she began smiling again.

A light brown hoof pushed the door open.........