• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 1,995 Views, 169 Comments

Afraid Of My Shadow - Deyeaz



Sometimes, our most irrational fears can become our worst nightmares.... (Sequel to Horns, Hooves, and Fur)

  • ...
7
 169
 1,995

VII - Reunion (Jace)

Afraid Of My Shadow

Written by CraimerX and ShadowWeaver

VII - Reunion (Jace)

“HOLY. SHIT. AKSHEAL?!” The old wizard rose to his feet and brushed off his robes.

“Yes. Hello to you, too, Jason.” There was a faint knock at the door.

“Daddy? Are you alright?” Oh shit.

“Yeah, bud! I just... tripped. I’m fine though! Really!”

“O-Okay... If you say so...” I scrambled to the door, put my ear against it and listened as the sound of tiny hoofsteps moved away from the door and down the stairs.

“Alright. He’s gone.” I sighed lightly and made my way to the faux leather chair in the study before I sat down in it for a small breather. Aksheal leaned against a wall and chuckled lightly.

“What? Papa Aksheal doesn’t get to see his grandson?”

“Not at this very moment, anyways.” I looked over at the Calling Card. It was back to normal now, laying on its side on the ground. I lifted my hand and trained my focus on the hourglass, coating it in the red magic that I possessed and willed it over to me. When it got into my hand, I had a small headache, and was panting a bit. “I am way out of practice.”

“Yes, you are. You are a fool for giving up magic in the first place.”

“Yeah, like I wanted to dance around Stalliongrad, stomping the living hell out of anything in my way. That’s just asking to be shot and killed on sight.” I put the hourglass around my neck, tugging on the chain to test the strength. “It’s just something I didn’t need. But with YOU here, this’ll be easier to get back in the swing of magic.”

Aksheal chuckled. “Same, naive Jason Romero. You don’t know the severity of this, do you?” I shook my head. “Tch. Figures.”

“Well, smartass, do YOU have any idea what’s going on?” Aksheal blinked and then sighed, shaking his head. “Exactly. If it is something bad, then it hasn’t reared its ugly head yet.”

“But when it does you’ll be at your weakest.”

“Not with you back. Not with you in the Calling Card.”

“Well, as you can see the Card doesn’t exactly want me in anymore, now does it?”

“...Always a Negative Nancy... Cripes..” I stood and stretched before going to the door of the study.

“And where are you off too?”

“To see Prax...”

“Do you have any idea where he is?”

“No.” I smiled. “But I have a good idea where he might be... Wanna come along?”

Aksheal shook his head. “Noooo... I need to see my grandson! After all... I haven’t seen him in... Four years.”

“Righto! You have fun... And no, you don’t have permission to snuggle with Vinyl.”

“Who do you think I am? A dirty old man with cheap parlor tricks?!”

“Yes.”

Aksheal fired the middle finger my way. “You said you know where Praxis might be?”

I nod. “Yeah. I’ll be back soon, Aksheal.”

“Alright... see ya later, Jason.” I cringed again. What the hell is it with people and referring to me by my first name?

“Adios, man.” I walked out of the room and down the stairs, going right for the door. I’ll have Aksheal answer everything while I’m out looking for Praxis.

I silently opened the door and slipped out, walking out into the cold day. I wiped some dust off of my suit from the earlier book throwing and adjusted my tie, making myself look presentable as I fixed my hair somewhat. I really need to get it cut... It’s getting down to my shoulders at this point.

I started my trek down the dirt path to Ponyville, taking in everything around me as I walked. Then it hit me. I’m trying to re-learn magic... Why not use magical sprinting?! Oh but... My suit...

Fuckit. I’ll be getting to Rarity next week for the wedding. Magic is more important than some clothes right now.

I readied myself to start, limbering up a bit before starting off at a leisurely jog. Then a run. Then a sprint. Being in Stalliongrad taught me one thing: If you can’t kill it, run for your fucking life and never look back.

I kept pumping, running down the path as I approached the town. I could see ponies showing up and a few houses here and there and I just kept getting faster and faster with my running. I forced the magic I felt down to my legs to get me to go even faster, and it was working for the most part. The mental strain was getting to me though, and I was starting to get a headache.

‘Fuck that. That pain is weakness leaving your body! Gonna let a simple headache get you down?! You’ve been in an EMISSION. PUSH IT, ASSHOLE!’ I have a tactic when I would work out. Tough love. I would scream at myself, tell me I’m a worthless piece of shit and that made me angry. Angry enough to find strength in myself and then use it for energy and get a better workout.

So, I did just that. I pushed the pain out of my head with my thoughts and became angry, which in term made me think of things that would make me angry.

I didn’t know how fast I was going, nor did I care at this point. Not until I heard a giant BOOM around me that I know I had successfully broken the speed barrier going through the town, and heading right for the Everfree forest.

I was approaching Fluttershy’s cottage fast and turned to see the yellow timid mare playing with the animals. When she laid eyes on me, I could see her scream and run into the house to hide away from me.

I chuckled lightly, hopping into the air and turning onto my side, tilting slightly to dig the sides of my shoes into the ground. The result was my pushing up a lot dirt, digging a hole, and stopping myself from going supersonic.

My run ended when I almost hit a tree and fell on my side. I panted hard, feeling the pain in my legs after running the distance catch up with me. I rubbed them, but stood and started to limp my way into the forest. To give you an estimate of how fast I was going, if you’ve ever played Prototype 2 and get the speed upgrades maxed out, think of when Heller is sprinting, but faster.

“PRAXIS!” I yelled, hoping that the satyr would hear. “OI, FLUFFY!” Still, I didn’t receive an answer. “Goddamnit....” Regardless of this, I still continued on through the forest. “Where the fuck is he...?”

Coincidentally, right when I said this, I kicked a stray rock down the beaten path. The disturbed stone rolled forward, occasionally bouncing from the trajectory it was kicked at. The rock came to a halt right outside of a large yew tree with an archway in it, the archway being shrouded by grassy curtains. “Huh... That’s convenient.”

While Praxis is a bit of an idiot at times, I gotta hand it to him: the guy’s a master of camouflage, probably since he served in a revolution.

Uh-oh... incoming feels. ABORT, ABORT!

I walked over and pushed the curtains apart. Yep, it was Praxis’s apartment, alright: grassy rug in the middle of the first floor room, coffee table on that rug, a loveseat on each side of the table, and a few glassless windows. Surprisingly, it was cleared of all the dust from four years of being vacant and unused. I made my way over to the spiraling staircase, each stair jutting out of the wall in a circling fashion. Once I made my way up, I saw Praxis in his hammock, napping with a smile on his face..

But he wasn’t alone.

Trixie and the satyr’s son, Riku, were in the hammock with him. Trixie was sleeping next to him, huddling close to him for warmth, while Riku rested on top of him, his head rising and falling with his father’s breaths.

It took all of my power to refrain from going “D’AWWWWWWWW!” at the sight of it.

Then it hit me. Praxis was sleeping. Shit. I sighed and walked down the steps, going to the living area and sitting down on the couch, making myself comfortable.

Now all I do is wait...

Well, this got boring.

I dug into my pockets and pulled out my iPod, playing Dungeon Village to pass the time.

It was an hour later that I realized I’m trying to get back in the groove of magic usage. I scrolled through the songs on my iPod and stopped on a certain one I absolutely loved.

I cracked my fingers as the soft intro played in, and set my hands across my body to mimic myself holding a bass guitar. When the song started to play in, I let my fingers work their magic on the strings, willing the magic to flow to my hands and take shape. It was hard work, but eventually I could start hearing the bass outside of my music.

I closed my eyes and smiled as I played, just letting my body be taken in by the music. I mouthed the lyrics as I played, and then pantomimed myself playing a trumpet, playing the trumpet solo before going back to the bass.

I felt the grin spread across my face as I continued to play my magical guitar, eventually willing the sound of a distorted guitar in as I played the bass, and then the brass, and then the drums! I was literally a one man band at this point. The only thing missing... Was the vocals.

“Waaaaaaayyy dowwwnnn, won’t you lead us on our way dooown from heeere?... Waaaaaaaayyyy dooowwwwwnn, won’t you lead us on our waaaaaayyy doowwwn frooom heeeeere?” I swore, when I got done singing that part, I heard a group of men sing ‘Way down.’ Freaky.

I just let myself flow with the music, eventually standing, eyes still closed as the breakdown of the song played. I went back to playing the trumpet, in time with the group of brass instruments that I could hear all around me.

I pantomimed a guitar as I played the distorted chords, pulling the headphones out of my ears, not needing the song to lead me anymore.

“Waaaayyyy doowwwwwn, won’t you lead us on our waayyyy down from heeeere?... Waaaayyyy doowwwwwn, won’t you lead us on our waayyyy down from heeeere?” I willed all instruments around me to stop and I looked around, figures of skeletons appearing around me as we all sang. Each skeleton seemed ethereal, almost imaginary. “Way down. On our way down. On our waaaaaaaay dowwwnnn.... We are on ourr wwaaaayyyy dooooooooooowwwn.” The quasi-real skeletons faded into mist and I fell back in the chair, drained from the magic use.

Right as I sat back in the couch, I could hear hoofsteps coming down the stairs. I turned my head and saw--

“PRAXIIIIIIS!”

“JAAAAACE!” The satyr in question beamed like Pinkie Pie when she was presented with a plethora of sweets. Without a moment’s hesitation, he lept off of the stairs and charged me in a big hug. He practically lifted me off of my own feet from it.

Ah.... to be reunited with my best friend... it feels magnificent. It reminded me of Coal, in a way... But I was never really separated from Coal... in a way, he was still around.

“Glad to see that you’re back, bro,” I said as we both separated from our manly hug.

“I could say the same thing for you,” the other responded happily. “Let’s celebrate, shall we?”

Another celebration? Hot damn! “I’m game.”

“Baba, who’s down there?” Riku asked from upstairs. The teal satyr descended the spiraling staircase. “Uncle Jace!” he then exclaimed, jumping from off the stairs like his father and tackling me in a hug. “It’s so good to see you again!”

“It’s good to see you, too, buddy... Sorry I haven’t been around in a long time, pal...” I used to visit Riku every day when he was at the orphanage, but then I had to leave for Stalliongrad. “It’s so good to see you with your father...” I looked up at Praxis and smiled before releasing Riku. “So... Celebration, huh?”

“Eeyup....” Praxis sighed. “Let’s get going, everyone, shall we?”

“Alright, Baba!” Riku finally released me and ran over to his father. Praxis placed the boy on his shoulders, his cargo grabbing hold of his horns to prevent from falling off.

“So... You like the song?” I asked with a sly grin. “Trying to re-learn magic... And I mean, all my magic. Battle magic, effect magic, augmentation magic... All of it.”

“...What?” I facepalmed at Praxis’ reaction. Right... he’d been asleep...

“Right...” I stepped out of the tree, holding my hand out and conjured a black flame. “This...” I threw the ball into the sky and made a fist with my hand, making a large explosion of black flame in the sky. “Is battle magic...” I turned, and snapped my fingers, my suit changing from it’s black, to a elegant white with a white fedora. “Effect magic. You can tell what that does... And for my favorite.” I chuckled and cracked my knuckles, letting my palms be engulfed in black. “This is a new thing I’m trying... Augmentation magic...” I walked over to the nearest tree and punched it, clearing a hole right through the trunk. I pulled my hand out and opened my fist, sawdust flying from my palm.

“So... Like Deus Ex?”

“Yes! Exactly! Ironically enough, the things you use to get more augmentations is called, Praxis.” He raised his brows and smiled, showing his sharp teeth.

“I’m impressed.”

“Praxis?” A voice called from inside the house. “Riku? Where are you two?”

It’s my turn to raise an eyebrow. “I take it that’s--?”

“Yes, it is,” Praxis deadpanned.

“You do realize when she sees me she’s gonna-”

“YOU... FLESHY CRETIN!”

I facepalmed for a second time. “Yyyyyup.”

Must I say it? I must say it.

SHIT JUST GOT REAL.

“Forget it, you hack. That was five years ago, get over it...” I said simply, sitting back down on a thick, fallen tree.

“Tri- I mean, I will not forget that! You made me the laughing stock of the entire to-”

Oh, fucking, JUST.

“I’M SORRY!” I yelled, looking over at the showpony who was standing at the doorway.

“W-What did you say?”

“I’m sorry, alright?! I’m sorry I got you banished! I never meant for that to happen... I just wanted you to stop picking on my friends... I’m... Sorry.”

Praxis let out a low whistle. “Wow... I got my hopes up for a fight for nothing.”

“Yeah, this could’ve gone better than expected,” Riku complained. They only shut their traps when both me and Trixie simultaneously fired a glare that was colder than an ice cube in the center of Tartarus.

“Okay, we’ll shut up now,” Praxis muttered quickly.

“Seconded!” Riku grabs his father’s horns even tighter than before.

“That’s right... You better...” I stood and adjusted my tie. “Right. Let’s get going then.”