• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 1,995 Views, 169 Comments

Afraid Of My Shadow - Deyeaz



Sometimes, our most irrational fears can become our worst nightmares.... (Sequel to Horns, Hooves, and Fur)

  • ...
7
 169
 1,995

XV - I Pronounce You, Doomed (Jace)

Afraid Of My Shadow

Written by CraimerX and ShadowWeaver

Proofreaded by the onlyoneofmeisyou

XV - I Pronounce You, Doomed(Jace)

“Ahh, where in the fuck is Praxis?” I looked around the castle for him, but didn’t see a trace of him anywhere. “Ah, forget it!” The wedding was starting. I had no time to go around the entire castle and look for him.

I ran back to the throne room and pushed through the ponies who were going to their seats. I ascended the steps and took my place on the right of the throne. Celestia had returned, and was standing to the left of me. I turned to see the crowd and smiled a little, then turned to Celestia.

“You seem calm...” She said, looking into my face.

“Yeah, well... Years of practice.” I said, turning to the doors. I took in a deep breath and turned my entire body to face the doors, my hands folded and in front of my body.

“Where’s Praxis?”

“Don’t care. If he wants to go off and be with that little demon, fine by me.” I still hated Trixie. Her arrogance was the thing that kept me hating her all this time. You don’t just change personalities overnight, that’s not how it works.

“Well.. That’s a bit harsh.. But as you wish.”

The organ started playing, starting out with progressive chords and then went to the traditional wedding song that you always hear as the bride walks down the aisle. I stood there, my eyes locked on the door where Vinyl would be walking.

The doors slowly opened and my eyes widened at the sight. Vinyl, in her beautiful white wedding gown. She seemed to have this aura of beauty around her as she slowly made her way down the aisle, up to the throne.

Everypony in the crowd stood to honor the bride as she walked. Many had a smile on their face, and some chatted a little as she went by.

Everything was perfect. Everything. Vinyl, myself, the crowd, the music... Everything. Nothing could ruin this wedding, not one thing.

Then my mind reeled back to Praxis’ discovery of Umbra in the castle. I tried to shake the thought, and throw it in the back of my head, but it still gnawed away at me like an angry manticore.

Nothing would ruin this day. Not when I’m around.

Vinyl took her spot next to me and looked up at my face. I smiled wide, and so did she. I knew that face. That was happiness and bliss on her face. I experienced that face the first time when I proposed to her, all those weeks ago.

“Dearly beloved,” Celestia began, “we are gathered together here in the sight of Princess Celestia and Luna, and in the face of this company, to join together this Man and this Mare in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of Celestia, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Celestia and her Castle: which holy estate Celestia adorned and beautified with his presence and first miracle that he wrought in Cana of Galilee, and is commended of Saint Paul to be honourable among all men: and therefore is not by any to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of Celestia. Into this holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined. If anypony can show just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let them now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold their peace...”

I object to this marriage...” What? No! NO! Not now!

In the crowd, ponies looked for the source of this voice, and one let out a high pitched scream that could be heard throughout Canterlot.

In the chairs, a large figure rose from sitting, and more ponies started screaming and backed away from the figure as quickly as they could. The figure held his hands up, and most of the ponies calmed down, except for the few mares that had broken down crying.

I object to this marriage in the form of the princess being the one to wed these two together.” I moved to my left, and got in front of Vinyl, who stayed behind me. “Instead, I wish to be the one to do the honors of wedding this... Human... With the mare.” The figure moved from the pew he was sitting in and made his way up the steps, the shroud he was wearing made him have the illusion of floating, but was actually walking underneath the robes.

He approached Celestia and stared her in the eyes, his own glowing purple ones never blinking. “If you will be so kind as to step aside, Princess.” Celestia looked over at me with a burning anger in her eyes, and I nodded to her, my eyes never leaving Umbra. She stepped aside for Umbra to take the place of the priest in the middle, and looked over at me. “Please, take your spot to the left of the Priest..

I glared at him as I slowly moved from Vinyl and went to the opposite side. The ponies in the room were all still sitting, waiting for something to happen. Umbra’s hand slowly extended from the large shroud, the single cloth robe giving away and making a sleeve for his arm. The black robes wisped with shadow and some the wisps slowly made it to his hand and formed a black book, a Bible.

Ahhh, there we are. A PROPER,” Umbra looked over at me, his eyes full of hate and malice. “wedding... Is needed for this man..” He flipped through the pages and put his finger to a scripture.

I REQUIRE and charge you both, as ye will answer at the dreadful day of judgment when the secrets of all hearts shall be disclosed, that if either of you know any impediment, why ye may not be lawfully joined together in Matrimony, ye do now confess it. For be ye well assured, that if any persons are joined together other than as God's Word doth allow, their marriage is not lawful.

Jason,” I locked eyes with Umbra for a second and then looked back into Vinyl’s eyes. “wilt thou have this Woman to thy wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour, and keep her in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live...

“...I will.” Vinyl had jumped up onto her hind hooves to get to a better height. I was holding her front hooves, rubbing them lightly with my thumb to try and calm her down, just the slightest bit.

Vinyl,” I saw her eyes leave mine and she looked up slightly to meet Umbra's eyes for a quick second. She took in a shaky breath as she saw all the hatred in his eyes, then quickly looked back into my eyes. “Wilt thou have this Man to thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love him, comfort him, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?

It took Vinyl a few seconds, but she swallowed hard and nodded. “I will..” Her voice was shaky, and I could see tears forming in her eyes at this point.

Who giveth this Woman to be married to this Man?” There was a little commotion in the crowd, and then one pony, with a top hat, monocle, and suit stood. He slowly made his way to the throne, and went up the steps, going to stand next to Vinyl.

“Her father shall.” The stallion said in a tough voice. I looked over at him and he looked back at me, his expression stony.

Vinyl’s grip tightened a bit, and she looked into my eyes. I took a deep breath and looked to Umbra who nodded.

“I, Jason, take thee, Vinyl, to my wedded Wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.” Umbra guided me through the speech and I kept my gaze with Vinyl. My expression never changed, it was always staying the same. No expression at all.

“I Vinyl take thee Jason to my wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth.” Again, Umbra lead her through the speech, and he closed his Bible.

Will someone please bring the rings forward..” Scootaloo timidly stepped out of one of the pews and slowly made her way up the steps, the pillow with the rings carefully balanced on her back. Umbra kneeled down and took both rings, and patted Scootaloo on the head. “Thank you.

He held the two rings in his hand and looked between both of them, then looked at both of us. He held up one ring, the one I was to give to Vinyl. “With this Ring I thee wed: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

He slowly placed the ring in my hand, as he said the following: “Bless, O Lord, this Ring, that he who gives it and she who wears it may abide in thy peace, and continue in they favour, unto their life's end; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

I took the ring in my hand, and then looked to Vinyl. I held the ring between my index finger and thumb and slowly moved my hand forward, sliding the ring easily on her horn.

Again Umbra blessed the other ring, and Vinyl took it in her magical grasp. I held out my hand and she easily slid it on my fourth finger. It was a perfect fit for me.

The Bride and the Groom shall now give their vows.

I took in a deep breath and held Vinyl’s hooves tighter. “Vinyl... You mean the world to me. From the first week of being in Equestria, you were there, and were always there. You were one of the few that didn’t judge me for my looks, ask many questions, or criticised me for my species.

“The first day we met, I knew right then and there, you were the one for me. No other girl on Earth could bring me the joy that you have given to me throughout these years... I want to spend my life with you. I want to have you until the day that I die.” There was a little chuckle from next to me and I shot my look over to Umbra who cleared his throat.

Vinyl’s makeup was slowly being ruined by the tears that were falling from her eyes. “Jason... You are the single most amazing person I have ever met. You’re the only person I’ve ever met. The ponies that tried to get me to be with them, had never been so kind and gentle to me as you have. You’re always looking out for me, protecting me, and loving me. I want to be with you, safe and secure until I breath my last breath.” I wiped away the wetness on her face and gave her a gentle smile.

With the rings donned, and the vows complete... I know pronounce you both... Husband and wife.” He looked over at me. “You may kiss the bride...

I took a knee to get down to Vinyl’s eyes level and slowly leaned in, her doing the same. We both locked our lips together in a gentle kiss, and in my kiss, I gave her a little something extra. I let some of my magic flow from me to her, so I could activate it at any time I wanted. A safety precaution.

Umbra looked over the crowd of ponies who were still silent and moved forward a little. “CLAP!” His voice boomed throughout the room and slowly one by one, ponies started to stomp their hooves on the ground.

I pulled from Vinyl and wiped more of her tears away, hugging her close. Her grip on my neck was like she was holding onto her life. In a way, she was.

And now, I cut the cake..” Umbra stated, moving towards Celestia. “Or in this case...” The wisps of darkness floating around him all came together and formed a knife. He quickly and smoothly grabbed Celestia’s neck and put the blade to her neck. “The Princess...” There was a high pitched scream from one pony and many rushed for the doors, but they shut under Umbra’s influence.

I backed away, Vinyl running behind me to stay safe. I held my hands out a black flame encased both of them, and then grew longer, connecting the gap of my hands and extended further, then extinguished to show the sagewood handle of Eclipse. The blade ejected from the staff and I held it up in an offensive stance.

I was pissed. More than the time I fought Insanity. This fucker had come in and almost ruined my perfect day...

I heard the doors being forcefully opened next to me and I spied Praxis for a quick second, but paid no attention. “UMBRA!” I screamed, and then lunged at him with my scythe, attacking him head on.

But when I swung, Umbra’s hand connected with the blade, and the force knocked Eclipse right out of hands. It flew and stuck into the wall of the castle. I felt myself be surrounded with a magical barrier and was lifted towards him. I struggled to get out, but his magic was too powerful.’

He brought me close to his face, his purple eyes staring into me. “The time of Reckoning starts...” His gaze shifted from me out into the open, possibly looking at Praxis. “Now..” I felt myself be thrown, and I knew exactly where I was going. I quickly snapped my fingers, and activated the magic in Vinyl, giving her a very strong aura that would repel all and any evil. A spell that you can only use once in your life.

I felt my back connect with another, guessing Praxis, and we both tumbled out of the ball room. When I made contact with the floor, I smashed my head on the ground, and blacked out.

~End of Chapter XVI~