• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 49,731 Views, 1,711 Comments

Mort Takes a Holiday - AnonymousMaterials



The Pale Pony (of Death) faces his greatest challenge yet: free time.

  • ...
79
 1,711
 49,731

"Holi...day...?"

It was, as it often was, a quiet night in the castle. Gentle moonlight filtered in through the tall windows that adorned Celestia's chamber, a display she knew her sister would be proud of. Laying comfortably atop a bed adorned with fluffed pillows and silken sheets, Celestia's eyes meticulously scanned another document under candlelight, feeling tired, yet accomplished.

It had been one of her more hectic days, when nearly everything that needed to be done fell upon her all at once. She had spent most of her day helping unveil a new library that would not just be one of the largest constructed, but also serve as a intellectual hub for all the bordering nations. Even before the official opening, rare and important documents had been pouring in from every corner of the world. There were texts written by ancient historians, early state constitutions, autobiographies by the most renown creatures, blueprints for ancient structures, newspapers almost as old as paper itself, “lost” poems and screenplays, and also (though not without some controversy) a significant number of “banned” literature. History, she knew, was all too easy to lose; having such a library would make it easier to look after.

Of course, it wasn't enough to be there just for the opening. She also needed to speak with the academics and sit through an almost unbearable amount of praise heaped upon her. Attempts to remind them of the hundred or so other creatures that made it all possible went largely unnoticed, even by the same ponies who she thought had been integral in constructing it.

All of that in one day would be more than enough for her to do, but by the time she had gotten home, ready to set the sun, one of the castle staff had rushed to her and explained, while apologizing the entire time, that there had been a mix up with the mail, and a number of letters and documents meant for her had been lost for several days.

She wasn't angry, of course. Mistakes happened, after all, and she ended up spending a few minutes assuring the messenger that there wasn't going to be any punishment, much less divine wrath. Still, after seeing the pile of letters and packages that could have easily hidden her, she wondered if she should have also emphasized the importance of avoiding it in the future.

To complicate matters even more, Luna wasn't around to help sort through it. Ever since her last visit to Ponyville, the younger sister had taken steps to learn more about modern customs and culture. To Celestia's surprise, Luna took an avid interest in classic and modern rock music, and liked to “sneak away” to attend a concert or two. Celestia knew, of course, and sometimes she wanted to tell Luna that it was okay to visit them, but it was cute watching her sister formulate all manner of excuses to leave the castle. It was like living with a teenager. One who had yet to kick ye-olde habits.

Most of the documents ended up being letters simply reminding her of events both current and forthcoming. The rest ended up being gifts of some sort from the diplomats she knew, the occasional request to build a road here or a school there, and various mayors asking for advice on issues plaguing their towns.

Then there were the letters from various leaders, asking if she was still planning on visiting them. Though she had intended to see them sooner, various matters in her own kingdom kept forcing her to push the visitations back. Some careful planning by a secretary had lead to a schedule that would allow her to meet all of them within the week, though it would once again mean being away from Canterlot. As much as she wanted some time to rest up at home, she just couldn't delay their meetings any more.

Not that she would regret visiting them, of course. She was excited to see how the pony and buffalo relations were going in Appleloosa, and was interested in the all-cow caravan and the success it was having in its trade. There was also the visit to Aquila to see the griffon president Leon. It'd been a year since they last talked, and she was eager to see how he was handling everything. She imagined she would be hearing a lot of stories about being on the receiving end of Steel Tongue's lectures. The adviser was getting on in years, but his mind was probably as sharp as ever. He was always a joy to speak with as well, having more spark than some griffons half his age.

She levitated her now-worn quill and a blank piece of parchment towards her, writing a short response to each of them, assuring them all that she would be there as promised. She signed her name, rolled the parchments up, wrapped her seals around them, and with a flash of her horn, the scrolls vanished in a puff of flame, soon to appear in their respective offices.

She took a moment to stand, stretching her limbs and wings. A rather unladylike yawn struck her, and when it passed she realized just how exhausted she was. Her eyelids felt as heavy as lead, and she fought to keep her head up. She scanned what was left, and became somewhat dismayed to see that there was still a small pile of scrolls and letters she had yet to open. Her only comfort was that she was finally done with the high-priority documents, leaving only some internal reports that could easily wait until morning.

She was just beginning to lay her head down when her eyes then caught an unopened scroll, lying right next to one of her pillows. With a small start, she realized it was Twilight Sparkle's latest friendship report. It had dropped in on her just as she was beginning to read proposed changes to building regulations. She had promised herself to read it next, but soon got distracted when she realized the new regulations being proposed all had to do with making the buildings larger to accommodate her “blessed proportions.” She then spent ten minutes trying to word a response that had no mention of her size, another ten minutes spent sanitizing her wording, and finished the half-hour feeling embarrassed, indignant, and more than a little anxious about her diet. By the time she had moved on from all of that, the report had slipped her mind completely.

Forcing her eyes to stay opened, she opened the scroll to take in its contents:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that, though first impressions are important, they are often not the sole indicator of who a pony is. No pony is perfect, and at times we may say something or act in ways that don't represent us at all.

Derpy Hooves, our resident mailmare, was like that. She can be clumsy, and doesn't always think something through before saying it. Because of that, though, she became the butt of jokes and derision among the townsfolk. When they saw her, they only saw a clutz. A lot of them refused to see her for anything else.

Underneath all of that, though, was a loving pony who only wanted to do her best and be accepted by her peers. She remained optimistic through everything thrown at her, all in the hopes that someday she would earn their respect and friendship.

I will admit it was not easy for me, either, but the more time I spent with her, the more I realized what a wonderful pony she really was, and the happier I am to call her my friend. We may not always understand somepony right off the bat, but that's all the more reason to get to know them better.

You may just find somepony very special.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

Celestia smiled serenely. Another good report, another good friend. Another lovely way to end the evening. She wrapped the scroll up, floating it into a library cabinet, where dozens of others just like it waited. She then blew out her candle and levitated it onto her dresser, alongside her crown. Satisfied, she snuggled under he covers, wiggling into a comfortable position.

She stared up at her canopy, which bore the classical image of Luna and herself chasing each others tails, with the celestial bodies they governed hovering near their heads. She smiled fondly; it was so nice to look at that again without feeling so awful. She closed her eyes, feeling the tug of sleep...

She was pulled away from it by the very unusual feeling that she was being watched. Her ears twitched instinctively, searching for anything that would make a peep. She fluttered her eyes, feeling puzzled at first. As the seconds passed, though, she felt her hair begin to stand on end, and the temperature in the room seemed to drop several degrees.

Celestia didn't dare move. What had been a mere hunch was growing into near-certainty. At the back of her mind she recited several spells, because no matter how unlikely, the occasional creature did manage to sneak its way in, slipping through protective wards and the armored guards that patrolled the castle. She rolled on her side, towards the balcony, bracing herself to use a spell...

Nothing. The room looked the same as she had left it moments ago. All that was different was that the moon's soft glow looked just a little brighter without the candle. Celestia sighed softly, now feeling silly about the whole thing. A little paranoia came with being a leader (especially one who had been confronted by several, powerful enemies in the past 18 months alone), but what she had felt was much stronger than usual, and nearly brought her to the point of unleashing a half-dozen spells that would've paralyzed a manticore. It was almost embarrassing.

Watching the moon, Celestia felt a small smile cross her face. Perhaps it was time to let Luna know that her “secret” excursions weren't all that secret. Thinking of the faces Luna would make at the revelation, Celestia began to shut her eyes, and rolled to the opposite side of her bed.

What awaited her on the other side was a pony skull, where from its empty sockets burned beady, red eyes. A razor sharp horn jutted from its forehead through a hood that was blacker than midnight. Celestia felt her blood run cold.

“Are you awake?” it whispered.

Celestia shrieked in fright, causing the skull to scream in return. Each shriek was matched by a scream as the two retreated from each other. The cloaked skeleton jumped onto its hindlegs, waved its forelegs desperately to keep his balance, than fell backwards into a pedestal behind it, causing the flower pot on top to tip over and crash on top of it. Celestia herself slipped off the edge of her bed, dragging the bed sheets with her.

Celestia shot to her hooves, tangled in her comforter, and reflexively prepared a stun spell that cast a gold light upon the room. From the other side of her bed, she saw the skeletal head rise, looking ominous...for all of two seconds, until she saw the posies that sprouted from the soil on top of its head.

Celestia felt the adrenaline drain at the sight. Wide awake, she now recognized what, or rather who, she was looking at. “Mort?”

The pony shade looked up at the flowers, then rotated his eyes to take in the rest of the room. He focused the red dots back on her, looking remarkably sheepish for somepony without a face. “Uh...good evening?”

The princess breathed a quiet, if frustrated, sigh of relief, her horn dimming as the spell dissipated. “For goodness sake, Mort! What have I told you about knocking?”

“I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't want to wake you up!” He scrambled around the bed towards her, the posies still swaying on top of his head. “I mean, you looked like you were sleeping, but I didn't know for sure, and I didn't want to wake you up if you were asleep, but I didn't want to leave if you weren't asleep, so I thought I could just get a little peek, but I still wasn't sure, then—”

Celestia brought a hoof to Mort's snout, silencing his ramblings. Though his expressions were understandably limited, his posture and the way he shaped his eyes all told her the shade was feeling rather guilty.

She gave him a reassuring smile, and removed her hoof. “It's okay, Mort. You're okay. You just gave me a little fright, that's all.”

The guilty look was replaced by one of relief, and the pony shade hummed contently. Celestia rolled her eyes good-naturedly. For as old as he was, he was still foal-like in so many ways.

“Now,” she started, as she freed herself from the bed sheets, “what brings you here so late? Is there a lull in your schedule?” While she would have preferred to have seen him during the day, she couldn't find it in herself to reproach him for waking her up for it tonight. The two had seen less and less of each other over the years, and she mused sadly that Mort would probably need to leave in a few minutes anyway. Then it would probably be another few months before they could say more than five words to each other. Maybe longer.

In response to her question, Mort shook his head. “Oh, no. Well, kinda, but there's a bit more going on than that.”

“How so?” she asked.

“Well, you see—”

“PRINCESS CELESTIA!”

The princess cringed, and whipped her around just in time to see her bedroom doors burst open. It was soon followed by a parade of hooves as half-a-dozen pegasi, clad in gold-plated armor, rushed into the room, looking ready to pummel something. And none more-so than the one leading them, a captain named Storm Rider, with hair and wings as gray as stone, and supposedly just as hard.

“Captain,” she said, managing to keep her voice even, “what ever brings you here?”

“My deepest and most sincere apologies, my princess, but we heard a commotion coming from your room! Are you okay?” He marched into the room, scrutinizing every corner of the chamber, his forelegs flexing in preparation. His eyes drifted just to the left of her, and narrowed in suspicion. “What is that doing there?”

Hiding her nervousness behind a collected face, she glanced to her left. Too her relief, she only saw a clump of soil and some flowers laying on the floor. “Oh, well...it's embarrassing, really. I thought I saw somepony in the room and just...well, grabbed the first thing I could see.” She threw in a giggle for good measure, hoping to calm the captain.

“Ah, so you improvised a weapon! Well done, Princess.” The soldier nodded his approval, buying the story completely. Celestia was glad she wouldn't have to explain why she didn't use her magic instead, or why the soil and flower were on this side, but not the actual pot. “I trust you got the scoundrel?”

“Oh, no. Like I said, I only thought I saw somepony. I was half-asleep at the time. It was only a shade—shadow, captain. Nothing more.”

He shook his head. “On the contrary, Princess, I believe that was no mere trick of the light. I know I heard something.”

“That may have been me,” she offered. “I was quite startled, I'm embarrassed to say...”

“Ah, but you're voice is like a melodious symphony that fills hearts and souls with warmth and joy,” he said with great reverence, his chest swelling. Then in an instant that image was replaced by a dark scowl. “Much unlike what we heard. That ghastly wail was boorish, ignoble, and just plain scrawny! Obviously it belonged to a common thug!”

He walked around her, checking under her bed, behind her dresser, even within its drawers. Around the room the other pegasi were performing their own searches, going as far as to look behind paintings and within flower vases. Closets were ransacked and drawers were pulled out and emptied unceremoniously on the floor.

Celestia finally found her voice. “Captain, is this really necessary?” she asked, trying to keep her temper from rising.

“We can't take any chances, princess. There's an intruder in our midst.” Storm Rider inhaled deeply. “Oh yes, I can smell him. I can taste him. I can feel him in my primaries. I won't leave until I have the scum in chains!”

Were it any other time, Celestia would have actually appreciated that a pony wasn't turning into a nerve-wrecked puddle in her presence, and was actually willing to voice their opposing convictions on a matter. Now was not one of those times. And even if it were, she drew the line at having her bedroom torn apart.

“Captain,” she said cordially, “I would usually never doubt your word on this sort of matter, but you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Please, return to your post. I've had quite a long day, and would like to rest.”

Storm Rider looked at Celestia, and she was dismayed to see the firm resolve in his eyes. “My sincerest apologies, Princess, but with all due respect, we simply can't leave now! Not until your safety is guaranteed!”

Princess Celestia rolled her eyes when Storm Rider wasn't looking, and said, “Captain, I think I would know if anypony or anything were in my own bedroom.”

“Oh yes, on the surface! But there a number of devious ways one could hide themselves in plain sight,” he said, marching towards a mirror. “For instance, with magic they could disguise themselves as a mere reflection, waiting for you to turn your back. The key is to psyche them out!” The captain glared at his own reflection, twisting and turning his head, making all sorts of faces. He got on his hind legs, jumping from hoof to hoof as he jabbed at the mirror in front of him.

This went on for a full minute before Celestia had had enough. “Or it could just be a mirror,” she pointed out flatly.

Storm Rider stopped his antics, and dropped down on all four legs. He cleared his throat, making an effort not to look embarrassed. “Er, yes, that is also a distinct possibility.” He turned and walked away from the mirror, stopping once suddenly to look behind him, and was disappointed to see his actions reflected perfectly.

Celestia tapped her hoof impatiently, watching as the guards continued to comb through her bedroom. They could turn the whole place upside down and never find an inkling of the “intruder.” She couldn't afford to have them stick around, either. If Mort's reasons for seeing her were important, she was quickly running out of time...if she hadn't already.

“Storm Rider,” she said, choosing to let a hint of agitation enter her voice, “I must insist that you take your guard and return to your normal routes. There is nothing here.”

“We'll post a guard here, here, here, and here,” he said, pointing to each corner of the room. “We'll double the patrols outside and inside, make sure we have an eye on you at all times, and...a-and...”

What he said next was lost in incomprehensible stutters. Celestia watched with some alarm as the pegasus suddenly paled right in front of her, shivering hard enough to rattle the armor he wore. A moment later, it was followed by the moan of another guard, then another, and soon everypony save Celestia was shivering as if overcome by a deep chill. She had a strong inkling about what was causing it.

“Are you okay, captain?” she asked, genuinely concerned.

“Y-y-yes,” he replied. The last of his shivers faded, but the pegasus still looked terribly disturbed. “J-just a little short of b-breath. Give me a moment to...” The captain's breathing was becoming labored, and his eyes were frantically looking around the room, as if a predator was readying itself to lunge at him. The reality may have frightened him more.

“Captain,” she said gently, resting a wing across his shoulder, “you have all had a long day. I think it would be best if you just returned to your posts.”

“B-but...b-but...” The captain looked conflicted. His duty was keeping him there, but she imagined his base instincts were screaming at him to go somewhere—anywhere—else.

“I'll be okay, you'll see,” she told him reassuringly. “I'll even give you and the others a small bonus for your attentiveness tonight. How's that sound?”

Storm Rider shook his head stiffly. “Y-you don't have to...”

“I insist.” She lead him towards the door, and like ducklings, the rest of the guard followed. Their eyes darted around the room much like his had. The sight made her feel guilty, and she hoped they'd recover once they got away from the room. “It brings me no small comfort, knowing that I have nothing to worry about while you're around.”

The compliment seemed to give some semblance of peace to Storm Rider, and he smiled appreciatively at her. “All in a day's work,” he said, saluting her. “Pleasant dreams, my princess.”

When the last guard filed out the door, Celestia shut the doors gently. She waited close by, craning her ears to hear beyond the door. When the last pair of hooves had faded from her hearing, she released a breath she didn't realize she was holding.

“You can come out now, Mort.” She waited patiently, expecting him to bleed into existence beside her. Seconds passed, but she was still alone in the room. She was beginning to worry that the shade had to run off when she felt something large and solid move through her mane.

Clenching her mouth shut this time, she glanced up to see Mort peeking out from within her mane. He looked down at her, grinning as he always did, though this time with an aura of embarrassment. “Sorry, they were moving around so much, this seemed to be the only place they wouldn't search.” He glided out of her aurora hair, landing soundlessly on the ground, and shook some long pink and green strands from his cloak. “But could you believe that guy?!” he said indignantly. “I do not sound boorish. And I'm not a thug!”

“I know you aren't,” she told him. “But if you were with me the entire time, how did you scare them away?”

Mort looked away from her, scratching at the floor. “W-well, uh, that wasn't actually me, y-you see...”

Now Celestia was very puzzled. “Excuse me?”

“It was my doing.”

Celestia released a startled gasp, and she spun around to see the source. A familiar, ashen alicorn stood near the balcony doors, her yellow eyes staring at Celestia from behind a white fringe. “Good evening, Celestia,” Thanasia said curtly, bowing her head. “My apologies for the sudden intrusion.”

It took a moment for Celestia to get over the shock of what she was seeing. She could count on her hooves the number of times she had seen the slightly taller alicorn in the past century. Those times, though, always came with some appointed time, delivered to her by Mort. It wasn't like her to appear out of the blue. And with Mort in tow.

Collecting herself, Celestia respectively bowed back. “Good evening to you as well, Thanasia,” she said, her voice welcoming. “A pleasure meeting you again after so long, but was it really necessary to spook my guards?”

“I tried to tell her,” Mort piped up. “But she says we couldn't—”

“The ancient alicorns are talking, my shade.” Mort hushed up immediately, and sat down as if he had been scolded. Thanasia turned her attention back to Celestia, her face expressionless. “I did not want to 'spook' them, but time is a luxury we rarely have, and we have some important matters to discuss.”

“Concerning Mort, I take it?” It was really the only reason she even saw the other alicorn. Their talks would always consist of some new change in the shade, whether in his appearance, habits or manners. All of it virtually harmless, but never-less Thanasia would observe each one with a large degree of suspicion, as if believing Celestia were somehow corrupting him. It was both funny and sad how much it was like a parent-teacher conference each time they met.

Thanasia nodded at her, and motioned her head towards the balcony. “Let's speak of this outside.”

Thanasia stood where she was, waiting. Celestia walked towards her, her magic grasping at the doors handles. She gently swung them open, letting in a chilly breeze that elicited a shiver and giggle in the sun princess. Mort shuffled up from behind, only to be stopped by a hoof from Thanasia. Mort looked up at her in puzzlement.

“The princess and I must speak in private,” his creator told him sternly. “Wait in this room until we are finished.”

The pony shade looked to Celestia, who could only shake her head apologetically. Often the talks they had really were best kept private. With a morose sigh, Mort quietly walked back to the center of the room, where he sat down dejectedly. He rested his head on one hoof, tracing circular motions with the other.

Celestia couldn't help but feel sorry for the lone shade, but knew how to cheer him up. “I have some new friendship reports from Twilight, Mort. Why don't you read those while you're waiting?”

He perked up immediately at the idea. He nodded eagerly at her, and in one motion had moved towards her book shelf. The guards had only gotten around to emptying the shelves themselves, but never getting to the cabinet below. He opened the doors, revealing dozens of scrolls that had been sent to Celestia since Twilight's “assignment.” He counted up from the bottom, then levitated off the top stack of scrolls. He laid them down and opened one up, his eyes eagerly scanning over the paper.

Celestia smiled, glad to see the shade in better spirits. The ashen alicorn beside her said nothing, regarding the scene with a cool intensity. She once again motioned for Celestia to follow, and walked onto the balcony, her thick mane and tail barely affected by the breeze. Celestia shot one last look at Mort, then followed behind her monochrome acquaintance.

Waiting outside was a cloudless sky, that showed Luna's work in all its splendor. Out here she could see the moonlight reflecting off the waterfall that flowed next to Canterlot, pooling towards a pond that looked silvery in the darkness. Celestia breathed in the cool air, feeling a renewal of vigor in her body.

If Thanasia noticed any of it, she certainly didn't show it. She stood at the baluster, looking out at nothing, with a form and rigidity that would have made her guards jealous. If anypony were watching them, they would have sworn that the princesses had sculpted themselves a stone sentry.

It wasn't long before her eyes fell on Thanasia's cutie mark: a green flame that burned strongly atop a large, white candle. Mort had once told her that the candle was not a static image, as its size changed every time he saw it, though typically it got larger a little bit at a time. The one exception had been when the candle was barely taller than the pedestal it sat on, and its flame barely more than a spark.

That was a thousand years ago. After learning that, Celestia had made it a point to look at it any chance she got. Her memory was not as good as Mort's, but she was quite certain the candle looked as healthy as ever.

She walked over to Thanasia, stopping a few feet beside her. “Lovely night, isn't it?” she started conversationally. “Luna has been doing a wonderful job since she's been back, don't you think?”

“I'm sure,” Thanasia intoned dully. “Celestia, I did not come here for idle chit-chat, so I would appreciate it if we got down to business.”

Celestia's smile faltered, but only for a moment. She had expected that, but it had been worth a shot. “Of course. You said it concerned Mort? Is there something wrong?”

“In a manner of speaking, yes,” Thanasia replied. “He's getting sloppy. Tonight he had asked me to prophesies the movements of a small crowd, when he could have easily flown above them. What's more, he became so distracted by some of the ponies around him, he almost forgot about the pony he was really there for. It's akin to you forgetting to raise the sun.”

Celestia shrugged. This was going to be a short visit if that was the whole reason she was here. “Well, we all have our off days.”

“I wouldn't even be concerned if this only happened occasionally,” Thanasia explained. “However, tonight was just the latest incident. He's been having one 'off' day after another for quite some time now, and it only seems to be getting worse. Not only is he not thinking things through, he doesn't seem to be thinking period.”

Celestia frowned. “Don't you believe that's a little harsh?”

Thanasia shrugged, unmoved. “It's the truth. It is what it is.”

Celestia reminded herself that Thanasia was not malicious, or even mean-spirited. She just saw the world in black and white. Yes or no. It was or it wasn't. “Calls it as (she) sees it.” Tact was probably as alien a term as the act of smiling. “You've talked to him about this, then?”

Thanasia hesitated for a moment. “I confronted him tonight about it. He is...not happy. As in he does not feel happy.”

She recalled her last few meetings with the pony shade, and how he always seemed to be in good spirits every time he left. Even Luna had said the same thing every time he was able to see her. What could have changed that? “Did he tell you why?”

Thanasia's tone never rose or fell. She spoke as if reading from a sterile report. “Part of it has to do with the nature of his duties. The number of souls he reaps increases with each passing year, and often the difference in time and distance means he can not stop at all. He believes he's reaching a point where he'll only have time to reap the pony before moving on to the next.” Thanasia paused. “Obviously, that can't be helped.”

“No, I suppose not,” Celestia said sadly. Her ponies were expanding far beyond the valley they had found so many centuries ago. Without magic, it could sometimes take a week or more for any letter to reach her from the furthest towns, especially problematic if they were situated in a dangerous location.

“What also bothers him about it is that he can't spend as much time with the departed souls as before,” Thanasia continued, sounding a little perplexed by the fact.

“He likes talking to them,” Celestia said. “They always seem to have a story, and he's fond of comforting them in times of need. I think it's kind of sweet, really.”

“Sometimes he'll ask them to follow him,” Thanasia added, with a hint of disapproval in her voice.

“Well, as you said, Mort can't stay with them, so having them follow is the next best thing,” Celestia explained reasonably. “These ponies are often scared and confused. They're not simple creatures that can take it in stride. They sometimes need a guiding hoof.”

She couldn't help but notice the pregnant silence that followed. It grew thick, almost as if it were something she could touch. Thanasia had chosen to stare at her now, a cold gleam in her eyes. Celestia shifted her front legs uncomfortably. “Was there something else?” she asked.

Thanasia's eyes narrowed a touch. “He misses you,” she said stiffly. “Very much.”

“Oh...” Celestia's face fell, as she felt a small wave of guilt. “I...miss him very much, as well.”

“You don't understand.” Thanasia's voice grew harder. Before it was like a chilly gale. Now that gale had ice in it. “He dislikes the growing intensity of his work, but only because it means he is unable to see you or your sister. Were it not for that, I believe he could easily tolerate it. As it is now, however, he becomes more and more distressed at the idea of never seeing either of you. I told you he wasn't happy, but to be exact, the word he had used was 'miserable.'” Her eyes were just slits now. Celestia could almost feel the venom from them. “And he's only getting worse.”

Celestia became silent, a dark pit growing in her stomach. As the years went by and their meetings grew shorter and farther apart, Celestia felt more than a little apprehensive about what it would mean for Mort. Though it did pain her to see him less and less, she still found company in other friends and companions as the centuries rolled on. Mort, meanwhile, had only the company of unintelligent shades, and a creator that seemed more cold and distant than the moon.

But no matter how much time passed, the shade always seemed upbeat every time he saw her, and every time he left. Despite what some would say, immortality did not make the years seem shorter. They would be as long and hard to mortals as they would be to immortals, Celestia included. She had hoped that, perhaps, it really was different for Mort, and that the passage of time did not bother him at all. He was a being of pure magic that did not experience the world the same way she did, after all.

Tonight was looking to turn that all on its head, and everything she had feared for some time wouldn't be as groundless as she had hoped. Mort wasn't a shade that thought like a pony; he was practically a pony that had taken the job of a shade. A pony that might be reaching the end of its rope.

“I'm sorry,” she finally said. Nothing else seemed appropriate. She had to blink some mistiness out of her eyes. “I...hadn't known...”

“Neither did I,” Thanasia said. The ice was gone from her voice, but the chill remained. “Mort, it seemed, was not the type to let any of us know what he was actually feeling. I can't tell if he was just in denial, or did not feel that we needed to know.”

Celestia sighed, wanting for there to be a silver lining in all this. “Well, I'm glad he told you, then,” she said. “It's not good to hold those feelings in for so long.”

Thanasia went quiet. This was not the same silence as before. That had been planned, intentionally foreboding. This was awkward and sudden. Unplanned. The taller alicorn's lips pressed together, and if Celestia didn't know better, she looked legitimately troubled.

A suspicion sneaked its way into Celestia's mind. One she did not like. “He did tell you, didn't he?”

Thanasia glanced at her, her eyes saying everything. “He did not tell me, per say...”

Celestia's mouth opened in shock. “You read his mind? Without his permission?”

Thanasia frowned at her, unperturbed. “What if I did?”

It took some willpower not to raise her voice. Her encounters with Nightmae Moon, Discord, and Queen Chrysalis had convinced Celestia that the worst thing you could do to someone, anyone, was to invade their mind. It was a path open to terrible abuse, and sometimes irreversible harm. Even the most innocent of spells, as her student had found out, could wreak havoc on a pony.

“We had an agreement,” Celestia reminded her sharply. “I wouldn't take advantage of him, and you wouldn't treat him like a mere tool!”

“Except he is my shade, and if I have the slightest inkling that something is wrong, I will use everything in my disposal to get to the bottom of it,” Thanasia told her frigidly.

“He might be 'your' shade, but still—”

“I do not lecture you on how you run Equestria, or raise the sun.” Thanasia's eyes were barely slits now, staring at Celestia with an intensity that seemed to burrow through her. “Do not lecture me on how I perform my duties, or treat my shades.”

There was a tense silence between the two. Celestia looked away, trying to reel her emotions back in. Thanasia didn't even seem the least bit guilty about what had happened. That was the worst of it. She seemed more embarrassed that she was caught than about what she did.

She was so deep in her thoughts that she was surprised when it was Thanasia who spoke first. “I do not make a habit of reading so deeply into him,” she said quietly, “but it is my job to know everything. Everything that happens in Equestria, and everything that happens to my shades. What was I supposed to do?”

Celestia didn't have to think about her answer. “You could have talked to him.”

Thanasia didn't have a response to that. She turned away from Celestia, staring silently into the night. The seconds ticked by, feeling like hours. Celestia reflected that it was for the best that Luna wasn't here. Her Royal Voice would've been in full use and waking the castle, if not the entire city. She was extremely protective of the shade. If Celestia saw herself as a friend to Mort, Luna almost saw herself as an older sister.

She looked behind her, and saw that Mort was now looking through the balcony window at them, a scroll levitating in front of him. It just occurred to her then how thin that glass really was. She gave him another apologetic look, then used her magic to close the drapes on the other side. Mort tried to keep ahead of the moving cloth, but a moment later he was obscured completely. Thankfully, he didn't try to peek through them.

It also occurred to her that the silent treatment wouldn't be doing them any favors. Especially Mort. She had to remember what was important here. “Just...tell me why you're here, Thanasia.,” she said. “If it's to blame me again for what's happening to him...”

Thanasia was silent. She sized Celestia up, her face expressionless. She then shut her eyes, breathing a tired sigh. “I came for your help, princess.”

She almost did a double take when she heard that. The anger she still held had nearly been all washed away by shock. “Excuse me?”

Thanasia opened her eyes again, the light in them having dulled. “Were this an issue of problem-solving, it'd be a simple matter to fix. His issues, however, are emotional in nature. He feels unhappy, but that does not mean he is 'wrong' to feel so. Nor can I simply order him not to feel that way. We simply can't approach this issue as if he were a shade...” She cast a meaningful glance at Celestia. “Rather, it may be best to approach this as if he were a 'pony' instead.”

Celestia slowly nodded, seeing the reasoning behind it. “And who better than another pony, you're thinking?”

Thanasia nodded. “Yes. You and your sister are the only ones who know of him, and you yourself have over a thousand years of experience in dealing with the conflicts of ponies, both from without and within. I will admit that it also helps that you are a...friend, of his,” she said, as if just barely getting the words out. “You do not want to see him hurt.”

In spite of everything that had happened a few minutes ago, Celestia couldn't help by smile wryly. “Thanasia, I think that's the nicest thing you ever said to me.”

Thanasia pressed her lips together, unamused. “Princess, please understand that just because I do not approve of your relationship, it does not mean I actually dislike you. I am above that sort of thing.”

And Discord was just a harmless prankster. “Whatever you say, Thanasia,” she said, keeping that same smile.

“Besides, you and your sister are partially to blame for how he turned out,” she said pointedly. “It's only sensible you take some responsibility in this.”

Celestia was ready to issue a retort, but thought better of it. They were making progress now, plus she did feel guilty about what he was going through. She recognized it was irrational, and that the weight of their responsibilities was far beyond her control, but it was still there, none-the-less. “Of course,” she said sincerely.

Thanasia stared at her, internally dissecting the words. “Alright, then,” she said. “What would you suggest, Celestia? If Mort were just another pony, what would you have him do?”

The sun princess scratched her chin in thought. Were Mort just another pony, what would she have him do? She took a moment to look over the baluster, trying to come to an answer. Her eyes glided over the city below her, down the mountain that it was built on top of, and across the fields and forests that made up her kingdom. She saw the dirt paths and the train tracks that lead from Canterlot to many other cities in Equestria, including...

The idea struck her like the first morning ray. The answer was so obvious! The only problem—at least, the most significant one—was convincing the alicorn beside her. If she wasn't careful, Thanasia could just take Mort and fly off.

She took a breath, and put on her most charismatic smile. “Honestly, Thanasia, if another pony came to me, telling me he felt this way, I would tell him to take a vacation.”

Thanasia slowly blinked, wearing a vacant expression. “A...va-ca-tion?”

“Yes. You know, a holiday?”

“Holi...day...?” Thanasia's brow was knit in thought, struggling to digest the words. Celestia wasn't sure if she had ever seen her so confused. “The days with the trees and gaudy clothes?”

This was going to be harder than she thought. “No, I mean he would need time off. A break. A leave of absence.” Thanasia continued to give her a blank look. Celestia rolled her eyes, and said, “Have him stop working for a while.”

Thanasia's eyes shot open. “Out of the question!” she exclaimed immediately, actually sounding mortified. “The ponies are one of the largest and most expansive species in Equestria! Having him...stop, would throw everything into disorder!”

“Then can't you have another shade fill in for him?” Celestia offered hopefully. “Maybe the phoenix shade? I'm sure it wouldn't be too busy.”

Thanasia snorted. “Unfortunately, they're considered a delicacy among many carnivores, on fire or not. None of my shades can take over.”

“But—”

None.” Thanasia punctuated that word by pounding the balcony with her hoof. Celestia could feel the tiles quake beneath her. “I require each and every shade to insure my prophecies are accurate. Without even one of them in the appropriate spot, we could miss the death of a creature, or worse, an action that would spell death for multiple creatures!” Thanasia took a breath, composing herself face again. “Think of something else.”

Celestia looked down at her hooves, trying just that. She couldn't. Not because she was short on ideas, but because it really did seem to be the best thing to do. Mort was stuck in a cycle of doing the same thing over and over again. Having time away from it all seemed to be the best way to help him now. But Thanasia was right, it was dangerous to leave his duties unattended. How could it be filled...?

She looked back up at Thanasia, who stared at her impatiently. It was then she realized the answer had been looking at her this entire time.

“You.”

Thanasia blinked once. “Excuse me?” she asked, with an arched brow.

You could fill in for him,” she said. “Did you not once tell me that, eons ago, it was only you who reaped the creatures of this world?”

“That's...true,” she admitted hesitantly. “But the key word here is eons. The world is much different now. Much larger, and its population far more numerous than what I had deemed possible long ago.”

“But surely there aren't that many more ponies now than there were creatures as a whole then,” Celestia continued, not ready to relent yet. “And I'm sure you're as fast as any shade. And it'll give the ponies some comfort to be greeted by a shape they're familiar with.”

Thanasia closed her eyes, silently considering the idea. “I'll grant it's not impossible, but it would also mean taking time away from weaving the prophecies...” She opened her eyes again, looking thoughtfully at Celestia. “Still, even if I did go through with this, what then? You said so yourself that you're often too busy to see to him, and Luna would not be that much better. What would he do?”

Celestia chose to bow her head, just slightly. “You're right. As much as I would like to spend time with him, the fact is my sister and I would be in positions that force him to remain intangible most of the time. That's hardly fair to him. He needs to be more than a spectator. He needs...” Celestia braced herself. This would be the hardest thing to argue. If Thanasia did not like the idea of “not working,” she would most certainly loathe this. “He needs to be able to make friends.”

Thanasia stared at her. A moment later, her eyes began to fill with comprehension. “No,” she said, slowly shaking her head.

It didn't deter Celestia. She couldn't let it. “My student, Twilight Sparkle, lives in Ponyville. Ever since she went there, she's been learning how to make friends, and the things she could show him—”

No!” Thanasia's jaws were clenched, and her eyes, which once glowed with the softness of a lamp, now burned with the brightness of a bonfire. She was not just irate, she was livid. Celestia had always wanted to provoke stronger reactions out of the shade leader, but she had hoped they would be in a more positive direction. “The moment they see him...the moment they're even within his presence...!”

“I know we can't do much for that effect he has on others,” Celestia admitted. “But my sister is an expert in the magical arts of disguise and transformation. Not just in using it on herself, but also in applying it to others. She could craft something, and...”

“No...just, no...” Thanasia shook her head, looking more conflicted than Celestia had ever seen her. “You...you want me to take him away from his responsibilities, and have him mingle with mortal creatures?! That's...he'll only get...!”

Celestia bit her lip, wracking her mind for the right words. “You wanted to know what I would do, were he another pony,” she said, walking up to her. “This is it. Mort needs a chance to get away from his duties. To laugh! To have fun! To not worry so much about where or when the next pony will die.” She gently laid a hoof on Thanasia's shoulder, drawing a rare, surprised look from the alicorn. “You want me to help him, but I can't do it without you. So please, help me help him.

Thanasia stared at her a moment longer, before her eyes glanced to the hoof on her shoulder. She brushed it off and turned away, muttering darkly under her breath. Celestia watched anxiously as the ashen alicorn paced back and forth, appearing more and more irate as time went by. Celestia's hopes shriveled bit by bit the longer it went on.

Finally, Thanasia stopped. She took a deep breath, then exhaled, her body relaxing as she did so. She turned her head towards Celestia. A certain calm had returned to her expression. “You are...certain, this will work?”

Celestia kept her composure in check. “I would by lying if I said I was absolutely certain,” Celestia said, coming forward. “But Mort's been working so hard and for so long. He deserves a break, and an opportunity to not be the Pale Pony, if only for a little while. He needs a chance to just be Mort.”

Thanasia did not look very convinced. Not at all, even. She approached Celestia, her eyes half lidded. She only stopped when she was a breath away from the sun princess.

“I do not like this,” she said, her voice low, “but it doesn't change that your judgment has been sound, much more often than not. If you truly, truly believe this will help him, then yes, I shall agree to let him...stop working.”

Celestia smiled, feeling a wave of relief. “Thank you, Th—”

“However!” Thanasia's hoof flew into the air, silencing Celestia. “I will be the one to decide whether or not he is fit to return to duty. Not you, or your sister. Understand?”

“I...understand,” she responded hesitantly. She had very little choice in the matter. This entire plan hinged on Thanasia trusting her, so perhaps it was only fair to trust the ashen alicorn in return. “All I ask is you give Mort some leniency in how he acts around other ponies, and vice versa.”

“I may not have to,” Thanasia said. “Celestia, there are just too many uncertainties when it comes to Mort and living ponies. They can be fickle, easily frightened, and all too fragile. He could grow attached, and then something would happen to them. I do not want a repeat of what happened a thousand years ago. You know what I speak of.”

“All too much,” Celestia said, the memory eliciting a painful pang in her heart. She did not want Mort to go through something like that ever again, either.

“My suggestion,” Thanasia continued, “is that while he's 'off-duty,' he shall be spending that time with the other, intelligent shades. The ones just like him. It'll give him time to know them better, to offer them insight on whatever new emotions or thoughts they've learned, and also prepare him for the days in which he may work side-by-side with them. With the ponies expanding as they are, it's only a matter of time before the other species will be integrated with them.”

Celestia frowned uncertainly. “While I do think it's good for him to spend more time with them, how much would they really be able to do? They'll be too busy to do anything meaningful. Mort will be forced to tag along, and just watch them work.”

“They are not as busy as he is. And it is far safer than your idea.”

They looked at each other, neither one blinking. They had reached an impasse. No matter what else Celestia put forth, it wasn't going to change Thanasia's mind. And, she reflected, the opposite wouldn't happen, either.

She had one more idea to try. “How about we let Mort decide?”

“No, he'll just...” Thanasia trailed off, her eyes losing focus for just a moment. “He doesn't know what's best for him.”

“Oh, come now,” Celestia said amiably, “this is about him, after all. He should have some say in it. And he's much more mature than you give him credit for.”

Thanasia's eyes narrowed again, and Celestia could almost see the gears of her mind turning. She waited with bated breath, hoping for the ashen alicorn to agree.

Thanasia breathed out through her nose. “Fine,” she said rigidly. “Let's ask him, then.” Thanasia turned on her hooves and headed back towards the balcony doors, with Celestia behind her. The lead alicorn grasped the door handles with a green light, and opened them..

Celestia stopped just short of rubbing her eyes. This was not the same room she had left a few minutes ago. The furniture, clothes and nick-knacks were all put away, and as a result the room looked the same as it did before Storm Rider marched in. The paintings were even tilted at the exact angles they had been before.

Mort sat near the bed, fruitlessly trying to put together the pot that had fallen on him. He would reconstruct it from the shattered pieces, finding where every piece went before putting the soil and flowers in, but as soon as his magic faded, the pot would fall to pieces again. Then he would grumble under his breath and try again. He had yet to notice their presence.

The two alicorns shared a look. Celestia smiled sheepishly at Thanasia, who did not look nearly as amused. Wordlessly, Celestia's horn flared with a gold light, enveloping the remnants of the potted plant. Mort shot to his hooves as the decorative item was restored to its pristine, former state, where it was then placed on the podium it had fallen from.

The Pale Pony turned to the two of them, jumping at the sight. “Oh, you're done talking! Is everything okay? It sounded like you two were fighting...”

Thanasia surprised Celestia again. “Everything is fine, my shade,” she said calmly. “There was a disagreement, but nothing more.” Celestia would hardly call it a disagreement, but she wasn't going to argue about it now.

The cloaked, skeletal pony sighed in relief. “Oh, that's good! I was getting worried...”

“I see you decided to clean up,” Celestia commented, looking around. “Don't let anypony ever tell you you're not thorough.”

The pony shade looked at his hooves in embarrassment. “Well, it didn't take too long to read those reports,” Mort said, motioning towards the open cabinet, showing a neat stack of scrolls, exactly as they had been before. “After that I just got kinda anxious and had to do something, y'know. Ooh, I also found these!”

His horn glowed, and from the dresser he floated towards Thanasia a pair of gold earrings, each inscribed with Celestia's cutie mark. Thanasia glanced between the two items. She shot the pony shade a bemused look.

Mort hesitated a moment. “W-well, the symbol's wrong, but I think gold would look really good on you. Well, actually, any color would. One of the ponies I reaped said everything's complimentary with gray. So it could be red, blue, chrome, silver, purple...erm...” Mort became uncomfortably aware of the steady and impatient look he was receiving. He kicked one foot back and forth, humming uncertainly. “I-I just thought that, you know, it'd make you look pret...er, I mean, more grand, you know...?”

Celestia eyed Thanasia expectantly. Mort's creator looked between the jewelry and the shade, unable to come up with anything. Celestia was hoping for at least a, “Thank you.” She never got into earrings anyway, or the assortment of other jewelry that stuffed her drawers, for that matter. But they were often gifts, and she could never bring herself to throw those out.

Thanasia finally sighed. “What makes you think I have any need for jewelry?”

Mort's hold on the earrings faltered. Without another word, he deposited the earrings back on the dresser, looking disappointed. Celestia had to struggle not to face hoof. Utterly, utterly tactless.

Celestia cleared her throat this time, grabbing Mort's attention. “Mort, we have a proposition for you...”

Celestia told Mort what they had discussed, or rather, the parts that mattered. He was told about the possibility of going on vacation, as well as the ideas they both had. They spoke their ideas separately, going into as much detail as possible.

“...and there you have it,” Thanasia finished. “We both agree that spending time away from your responsibilities would be the best thing for you. What you do with that time, however, is up to you.”

“You could spend your holiday with Twilight Sparkle, or you could spend it with the other shades,” Celestia added. “Or, you could even choose neither. Equestria's your playground; you can choose what you want to do.”

Mort looked down at his hooves, pacing in a circle. He muttered under his breath, and Celestia could only catch the occasional word. A couple times he would stop, as if ready to say something, only to return to his mumbling. As she watched, it struck her just how similar it all was to what Thanasia had done on the balcony.

“I think...” Two heads snapped to attention. Mort turned around, looking between the two of them. He fiddled his hooves together. “I mean...i-if it had to be one or the other...” His gaze fell on Thanasia, who stared back at him silently. Celestia watched the wordless exchange, wondering if Thanasia could see something she, herself, couldn't.

Mort suddenly looked away. “I'm sorry,” he said sadly.

Something flickered across Thanasia's face, but Celestia couldn't tell what it was. “It is fine, my shade,” she said, her voice calm. “You were given a choice, and you made it.” Thanasia turned on her hooves and started towards the balcony, her wings beginning to extend. Now Celestia understood; whatever look Mort had intended to give, it was one of remorse for not picking her.

Mort darted in front of Thanasia, his voice frantic. “P-please, it's not personal or anything!” he said. “I-it's just she helped saved Luna, and I always wanted to thank her, to tell her how much it meant to have her back! A-and everytime I read a report, or see her, or—”

Thanasia's hoof moved quickly, stopping on Mort's mouth. The shade went silent immediately. Celestia wondered if it was coincidence that it was the same thing she did earlier that evening. Thanasia's horn flared brightly, casting a green glow on both of them. Celestia watched as a green tether appeared between them, connecting the shade and his creator. The middle of it then began to thin, until disappearing completely. The magic faded and Mort stumbled. It was as if an invisible string that had been supporting him this entire time had vanished.

“W-what happened?” he slurred, struggling to stay upright.

“I've severed your link to myself and the shade subconscious,” Thanasia explained. “You are, until further notice, relieved of your current responsibilities. In their place, I entrust to you a new responsibility: to enjoy your 'holiday.'” She turned her eyes to Celestia, her gaze frigid. “I'll be checking on him regularly. I'll be 'lenient' as you ask, but the first sign of trouble...”

She let the words hang there. As Mort sat on the ground disoriented, Thanasia briskly moved past him towards the balcony. Celestia found herself rushing towards her, and caught up just as she was about to take off. “Wait!”

Thanasia paused. Her wings were outstretched, primed and ready for take off. She turned her head to look at Celestia. She was stone-faced. “Yes?”

Celestia took a breath. “Thank you. Again.” When Thanasia didn't say anything, Celestia found herself compelled to continue. “It doesn't always have to be like this, you know. I'd love a chance to just talk to you. What you've seen, what you've experienced...just a chance to be friends.” She took a step forward, smiling warmly at the ashen alicorn. “After this is over, maybe you can stop by? To start over?”

Thanasia stared at her coldly, a grimace etched on her face. “I have much work ahead of me, Celestia. Good night.”

Celestia couldn't hide her disappointment. “Of course,” she said, bowing her head. “Good night, Thanasia.”

Thanasia bowed back wordlessly. Her great wings flapped, and a moment later she was gone, flying into the night sky. Celestia watched her go until she faded away from sight. Sighing, she turned her head to see Mort walking up behind her. He looked up at her, and she knew the shade was still troubled.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, sure,” he said, scratching the back of his neck. He walked until he was beside Celestia, and brought his forehooves up on the baluster. He rested his head on his hooves, looking towards where his creator disappeared. “I hope she'll be okay. She hasn't spoken to a pony since...well, me, I'd think.”

“She'll be fine,” Celestia assured him, all the while hiding her own doubts. “I think it'll be good for her, actually. She'll be able to interact with ponies, and understand why you like them so much. It might help her understand you better, too.”

“I hope so,” he sighed. “Where's Luna, anyway? She still out?”

“I think so.” Celestia searched the night sky. Luna should have been back in Canterlot by now. She typically didn't “risk” staying out so late, and would usually be back once the concerts were over.

As she was looking towards the moon, her eyes caught something dark flying in front of it, and gliding towards the castle. Trailing behind it was something translucent, that sparkled like the cosmos. “There she is!” she said, pointing her out.

Mort hurried to the other side of Celestia, watching with an air of excitement. At least he was feeling better again, she reflected. Hopefully it would be good news from here on out.

As the dark shape got closer, Celestia noticed that something was wrong. She had no doubt it was Luna, but she was being accompanied by a strange noise. As her little sister neared her own room on the other side of the castle, Celestia realized that the sound was crying.

Her younger sister hit her balcony running, and with a wail, she threw open the glass doors and sped in, slamming the doors shut behind her.

“W-what's wrong with her?” Mort asked, worry entrenched in his voice. “Is she hurt?”

“I don't know,” Celestia said, with the same worry. “She goes out like this all the time. This is the first time I've ever seen her return in such a state.”

“Well, where'd she go?”

“A concert,” Celestia said. “I don't remember all the details. Her favorite band was playing, but other than that...”

She wondered about all the things that could've gone wrong. Was it canceled? Were the performances bad? Did that band she liked never show up? Did she go into the crowd and get found out? What would make her so upset...?

It was around then she noticed that Mort had stopped talking. She glanced down, and saw that the pony shade was staring at Luna's room. His eyes had shrunk, and Celestia could almost feel the fear radiating from him.

“Celestia,” he asked, his voice small, “you, uh, wouldn't happen to know what they called the concert, would you?”

The sun princess begun to put two and two together, apprehension growing inside her. Of course something like that would happen, on this night of all nights. “I think Luna had called it...Hoovestock? Does that ring any bells?”

Mort didn't answer her directly. Instead, he buried his face in his hooves, and moaned miserably.

This would be a long night.