• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 1,103 Views, 25 Comments

First Encounter - Dusk_Writer



Silver Lining meets a little filly, a very interesting filly.

  • ...
0
 25
 1,103

Chapter 1

First Encounter
__________________________________

It was a normal, sunny day in Cloudsdale and the city seemed almost deserted!

Why?

The Wonderbolts were performing of course! It always happened whenever they performed, almost everypony came to watch.

This time, The Gold Squad, Squad Three and Squad Eight were performing.

Squad Three was currently in the arena, doing flips and dives which seemed almost out of books with how impossible they seemed. The crowd cheered at the spectacular display.

Though, one particular cheer stood out from the thousands of spectators. A filly at the age of six. It was clear she was a huge fan, with what how much Wonderbolt merchandise she had.

As the show carried on, a mare then performed the buccaneer blaze. It was a crowd favourite and always impressed. They all flew together at speeds unimaginable, doing everything in their power to leave the fans gaping.

They then proceeded to fly in the arrow formation circling the stadium and waving at the fans. Sadly, that concluded Squad Three's performance.

Fortunately, the show was far from over as the Gold Squad flew into the arena. The crowd went wild!

They hovered in the centre of the arena for a moment and suddenly flew up at increasing speeds all in sync. They then came apart as they reached a high enough altitude, creating spectrum colored sparks shooting out in all directions.

The show went on for a while, but it had come to an end with Blazetail and Flashwind thanking the crowd for their time.

The ponies went back to their homes with a spectacular performance still replaying in their heads, but, for a certain filly, it was just beginning…


"Wow! That was so awesome!!! This is the best birthday ever!" An excited filly cheered.

"Oh, it's not over yet." The said filly's mom spoke.

"Your mother's right kiddo, we got you some backstage passes and held on to your autograph book for any of the Wonderbolts to sign." Her father said from beside the mother with a smirk, eager to see his daughters reaction.

"No. Way! Those are so hard to find! Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!! Thank you!!!" The filly squealed. The parents merely chuckled at her excitement, glad she was happy. They knew how much she adored the Wonderbolts, and it would be the perfect present.

Her mother handed her the autograph book and she zoomed backstage with her parents following close behind. She was already a fast filly for her age, and they knew she would make her Wonderbolt dreams come true.

They caught up with their daughter backstage and it was complete chaos! Many ponies were milling around. The majority of them were Wonderbolts, while the rest were small fillies and colts who were already there getting autographs from various Wonderbolts, the squeals of delight making their own parents happy.

"Go on, just ask one of them to sign it," her father nudged her. "I'm sure they won't mind. Or are you…chicken?" She gasped and quickly looked around to find someone to sign it all the while muttering, chicken? I'll show him as her father merely chuckled.

Not many Wonderbolts were around, the filly noticed. Only the ones from The Lead Squad and Squad Eight.

The filly glanced around and saw Blazetail and Flashwind. Her eyes lit up when seeing them, but then remembered she already had their autographs. She striked them off from her list as she didn't want to seem weird going up to them when she already had their autographs, because surely they remembered someone as awesome as her!

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye she saw a Wonderbolt standing in the corner looking around.

She knew him; Silver Lining from Squad Eight. She tilted her head in confusion as he wasn't interacting with the others.

She shrugged started to walk over to him, passing a janitor moping the floor whilst whistling.

Silver reached for his towel and moped his brow as the filly approached him.

"Umm, h-hi." If it were anypony else she'd walk confidently right up to them, but this was a Wonderbolt! One wrong move and they'd surely ban her from ever trying out.

He turned towards her and looked…surprised?

"Yes?" He spoke, his voice sounded snappy but it didn't scare her like it would most fillies.

"Uh, I…" she swallowed and tried again."C-could I have your autograph?" Now he definitely looked surprised.

"Me?"

"Well duh! Don't ponies ask you for your autograph since your a Wonderbolt and all?" She asked in confusion, some of her vigour and confidence returning back to her.

"Well, kind of kid. Ponies never really do when they see the Lead Squad." He rolled his eyes.

"Oh. Well…think that's kinda silly, I mean I uh…may or may not sometimes do that but, in fact I think your cool! Well, not as cool as me but, I saw your moves during the show and they were awesome!!" Silver blinked, he wasn't expecting that out of this little filly. "Oh and, not as cool as Blazetail and Flashwind, but still close enough…soo, could you give me your autograph?"

He squinted at the filly, examining her carefully, trying his best not to glare, remembering his own mentor smacking him on his head for glaring unintentionally at the fillies and colts scaring them off…that spot on his head still stung. Silver sighed andthen smiled, taking her little autograph book, "well, train hard kid. It'll take you far."

"Well duh! I knew that, plus I'm already the best. I'll fly circles around this orga…orgo……place, if it's the last thing I do!" The filly grinned wildly.

He snorted, he was likin' this kid.

"I like your spunk, little one! Now, what's your name?" He asked.

"My name's…"


It had been a few minutes since the little filly got her autograph and flew off with her parents.

Something seemed different about the filly…something unique. He knew in his gut that this would not be the last time he saw her.

Silver's ears suddenly perked up as his wings twitched slightly and he knew who was behind him.

Not this time, Silver thought and dodged the his mentor trying to trip him. He turned around to see Blizzard Strike beaming. This was quite a rare sight to say the least. Blizzard moved closer to him.

"You're finally learning! Nice to see something's going through that thick skull of yours."

"Uh huh." Silver flattened his brow.

"Anyway, the Princess has called us to Canterlot, we need to intertwine in the war between the Drakes and Griffons. It's getting way out of hoof." Silver nodded as Blizzard graced his face a smirk. "I saw the filly. Looks like you got yourself a fan, eh Silver?"

"I guess. The little kid got guts." Silver chuckled.

"What was her name?" Blizzard asked.

Silver looked to where the filly had trotted out with her parents.

"Rainbow Dash."

Author's Note:

Just a little idea that had popped up in my head.

Comments ( 25 )

I liked it, even thought gold squad wasn't in command yet when the griffin drake war was, it was small and cute.

Certainly a good start. There were a couple of minor typos here and there (some 'your' instead of 'you're') but overall it was technically good, and I liked the basic premise.

In terms of where to improve next time, you might want to think about doing a little more scene setting to add a little more atmosphere. It doesn't have to be explicit (i.e. They reached the backstage area. It was dark and claustrophobic, and full of ponies milling around), but it could be small things (i.e. Pony X reached for his towel and began to mop his brow as the filly approached him).

You might also want to think about customising how your characters act and move a bit more to give them some more distinctive characters. Things like speech patterns, choice of language, their emotions and feelings can, in small doses, really add some polish to the story.

That being said, for a nice, brief slice of life, it was nicely done and I enjoyed it.

6669023 thank you! This really helps, I'll be sure to edit this up a bit, and take your advice! Would you be interested in being my editor? I really need one :3

6668983 ah! I'll change that, thanks!

Loved this one. :pinkiehappy:

No problem and if you're curious:

In chapter 100 Soarin shows Dash a picture of him with Hurricane Drive, who was part of the Lead squad before Gold squad, from after he won a race. A few chapters later, when Silver is about to talk about Blizzard and Discord, he said he was to young to remember anything of the griffin drake war so he was probably younger.

6670456 ooohhhh! I was wondering about that!!

6670449 yay, thank you! :yay::pinkiehappy:

6670456 but, I just realised, that Dash said something like, "wow, you met the captain before the gold squad?" So that hints she never saw them

6670587 but isn't Dash younger than Soarin?

6670592 yeah, implying the Dash never met the lead squad before the gold squad so if I put it here then that means she met them

a nice and sweet story, makes you wonder if calm will make it canon in PTH :pinkiehappy::rainbowdetermined2::eeyup:

6670651 heh, thanks! But not likely :raritywink::twilightsmile::rainbowdetermined2::rainbowlaugh:

6670381 I would do but I'm pretty much terminally rushed off my feet IRL. If you want I can give you a follow and poke in with any advice if I get a chance, but I don't want to guarantee anything that I can't deliver. Sorry about that!

6671340 Sure, and it's alright! :twilightsmile:

6668983

actually they were, i mentioned blazetail and flashwind during one of Silver's stories about blizzard, leading their squads, thing is i had to make a small switch recently, Soarin at one point said he wasn't born before the war, but that would have screwed up some things, so i changed it to him saying he was too young to understand what was going on.

i havent gone into too many details about the griffon drake war Silver was a part of, but it may be safe to say that there was a command change during it, hence how gold squad took over....

but im rambling xD honestly there are a few very minor continuity errors in pth, but its hard to keep track of every tiny detail in such a large story :twilightblush:

Also, Wonderverse stories are free to switch things around, i understand my timeline is very complicated, so im not about to complain if someone makes a few tweaks here and there for the sake of telling a cute story like this.

This was short sweet and cute, i loved it! :scootangel:

6672441 Amen to that difficulty of keeping track. *headdesk and laugh*

I *totally* did not click on this because I saw the word "Wonderverse" on this.... :scootangel:

6955646 oh? Did you? Or did it choose you…? (Idk) :trixieshiftright::rainbowlaugh:

I still believe FIMFiction needs a "Cute" tag... I loved this.

7958171 Haha, glad you liked it! It's an old fic but I'm happy that people still enjoy it :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment