• Published 24th Nov 2015
  • 2,232 Views, 32 Comments

A Special Rainbow - Mathew_The_Raridash_Fan



Rainbow Dash is put into special ed after she continuously struggles in school.

  • ...
3
 32
 2,232

Earth to Dash

Algebra 2 was so boring for Rainbow Dash. She stared out the classroom window as Ms. Harshwhinney went on about something called “imaginary numbers.” Rainbow didn’t pay attention to what she was saying. Imaginary numbers were too absurd. Rainbow couldn’t fathom why she had to learn about something that didn’t exist. This wasn’t mythology class.

She imagined flying in the clouds with the wind on her face. She was among the birds. She loved the sky and everything it had to offer. She couldn’t always go there, but sometimes, she grew wings as she ponied up. The world above the clouds had to be better than Canterlot High. The sky had no boring classes or teachers who put their students to sleep.

“Miss Dash!” Ms. Harshwhinney called, snapping Rainbow from her daydream.

“Yes, teacher?” Rainbow replied, confused.

“Do you know the square root of negative nine?” Ms. Harshwhinny asked.”

Rainbow chuckled and explained, “I’m not stupid! You can’t find the square root of negative nine because squares are always positive.”

Ms. Harshwhinney glared at Rainbow Dash. She had enough of her lack of attention. “First, Miss Dash, if you were paying attention, imaginary numbers are numbers, when squared, that have negative answers!”

“No wonder they’re called imaginary!” Rainbow said, laughing more. Algebra wasn’t just boring. It was ridiculous.

“That is enough!” Ms. Harshwhinney shouted. She took a deep breath and told Rainbow, “The answer to the question is 3i. Go to the principal’s office, now.”

Rainbow got up and walked to Principal Celestia’s office. She didn’t need algebra. She wanted to be an athlete. What kind of athlete has to know imaginary numbers or parabolas or whatever? It was all a waste of time. She knew she needed to pass the class to stay on the sports teams, but it was too hard for her. She couldn’t pay attention to anything that didn’t interest her.

She walked into the office where Principal Celestia waited. She sat down and stared at the ground. She knew she was in trouble. This wasn’t the first time she was sent here, and she knew it wasn’t going to be the last.

Principal Celestia finished typing an email before beginning. “Rainbow Dash, as I understand, you are struggling with paying attention in Algebra 2.”

Rainbow shrugged, “I guess. It’s a boring and pointless class.”

“Your grades are low to the point where you are barely passing,” Principal Celestia explained. “This isn’t the first time we had this problem. Several teachers have noticed that you struggle with sitting still and paying attention in class. Also, your English teacher is concerned about your poor spelling. High school students don’t typically misspell simple words, and they most certainly don’t misspell their name.”

“I get it! I’m stupid!” Rainbow shouted, angrily. She got up and stormed towards the door.

Principal Celestia stopped her before she left, “Rainbow, sit back down.” Rainbow did as she was told, but she supported her head with her arm. “You are not stupid. Have you ever been tested for ADHD or dyslexia?”

Rainbow shook her head. “I never told my parents I struggled with reading, and they just thought I was just a naturally active kid.”

Principal Celestia looked through the student information sheets until she found Rainbow’s. “I’m going to call your father and see if he could meet with us on a future date.”

Rainbow nodded, but she didn’t say a word. She rocked back and forth in her chair as she looked around the room. She slightly smiled as she saw Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna together with the words “best sisters” written underneath. She was an only child. She never knew what it was like to have a sibling. She imagined what it would be like to have a sister she could care for.

“We’re going to have a meeting tomorrow in the morning,” Principal Celestia announced, bringing Rainbow back to reality. “Go to the counseling office instead of your first class. I will tell the teacher just in case you forget.”

“Alright,” Rainbow replied. She had nothing else to say.

“Go back to class,” Principal Celestia instructed.

Rainbow left the office, but she took her time getting back to class. She was worried about the meeting tomorrow. She knew it was an IEP meeting. She heard that students who struggled with normal classes had IEP meetings before being placed in special ed. If she did have ADHD and dyslexia, there would be no doubt that she would be placed there. She would at least have accommodations to help her. As long as she could pass her classes, she was willing to do almost anything.