• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 28,337 Views, 2,511 Comments

Rainbooms and Royalty - Trinary



Alternate Universe: Filly Rainbow Dash has just performed her Sonic Rainboom when she gets a visitor

  • ...
61
 2,511
 28,337

Welcome to Ponyville!

& & &

Rainbow Dash flew into town, doing a few loops and rolls to mark her appearance before landing in the center of the town. She was aware of the stares she was getting from some of the townsponies who wondered who this flashy, brightly-colored, good-looking, new pegasus was (at least, that was Dash’s take on it). Acting as if she didn’t notice the attention, Dash trotted along, giving her mane a toss for her admirers and continued on her way.

She was about halfway to the oddly tasty looking building that must have been Sugarcube Corner before she found herself being called. “Ooh! Darling wait!” Looking around, she saw a pretty white unicorn with a well styled purple mane eagerly approaching her. “Such a marvelous entrance! And your hair—I love your coloring!”

“Heh, thanks.” Rainbow Dash smirked. “The name IS Rainbow Dash, after all.”

“And I am Rarity, an equally suiting name, don’t you think?” She elegantly worked a hoof along her coiled mane as she batted her long eyelashes.

“Uh…sure?” Rarity seemed not to notice Dash’s lackluster response.

“Such a wonderful coiffure, a shame you have it cut so short.” Rarity inspected it with a jaundiced eye which made Rainbow Dash feel like she was back in Canterlot being examined by some snooty rich pony like a bug under a microscope. “Ooh but the colors are all natural! The things I could do with your mane! I simply *must* take you back to my boutique, the dresses I could make for you!”

“What?!” Rainbow Dash yelped. “You can’t be serious?”

Rarity tapped an elegant hoof against her lip. “Hmm, you’re right of course.” Dash breathed a sigh of relief. That was eas— “We’ll need to go to the spa first so we can beautify you from head to hoof!” Rarity clopped her hooves together happily.

Horseapples.

“Look, getting all frou-frou really isn’t my thing.” Rainbow Dash said slowly. “So I’ll just be going now—”

Rarity pouted with a practiced elegance of a master. “But daaarling! You’re just so beautiful! It would be a crime against fashion to let a pony with as magnificent a mane and coat as yours just slip away! Pleeeeeease? For moi?”

“I *just* met you!” Dash exclaimed.

“That doesn’t mean that we can’t be friends, you and I! Tell me something about yourself.”

“Rarity, I—”

“Very well, I shall go first! I am Rarity, owner and proprietor of the Carousel Boutique where everything is chic, unique and magnifique! I make dresses and outfits and am an expert in all things fabulous! Now you go!” Dash relented.

“Okay, okay…well, I just came from Canterlot…”

Rarity let out an earsplitting gasp. “CANTERLOT?! Oh my goodness!” She gasped. “You are so fortunate, I’ve always dreamed of living there!”

She was surprised when she was greeted with an incredulous snort. “You *want* to live in a city where everypony picks at each other? Where they titter and look down at you for every little thing? Be my guest.”

By the look on her face, Rainbow Dash thought that she had just kicked Rarity’s cat. “Now darling, it surely can’t be—” The fussy unicorn started.

“It is.” Dash deadpanned.

“I-I mean there are the restaurants and theatres and the stores…” Rarity started.

“They’ll gouge you for every last bit, and then some.” Rainbow sighed.

“…and the glamorous high society—”

“The only thing ‘high’ about them is how they all have their noses so far in the air it’s a wonder they don’t drown when it rains.” Rainbow Dash’s feathers twitched. “Trust me, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.”

Rarity bit her lip as she wracked her mind trying to salvage the situation and her dreams. “W-well I’m sure it won’t be so bad once you return to Canterlot in triumph, looking like a new mare! Yes, that’s it! I’ll give you a fabulous makeover to turn you into the talk of the town!” She squeed. “And then you can tell everypony that it was I, Rarity, who made you into a divine diva!” She danced on her hooves. “Yes, it’ll all be perfect!”

Rainbow Dash flared her wings in warning. “Keep your fashion torture devices away from me!”

“Honestly…” Rarity said. “You can’t tell me that you’d let your natural grace and beauty go to waste by looking like some, some…ruffian!”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Wouldn't be the first time.” She grumbled, realizing that Rarity seemed to be of the same sort as the fillies in Canterlot. “Look, I appreciate your offer…”

“No you don’t.” Rarity pouted.

Rainbow paused. “…Okay, you’re right.” She conceded. "But still! I don’t do frou-frou stuff!”

“Ugh, you sound just like Applejack!” Rarity said in disgust. “Another beautiful mane, gone to waste!”

“You know Applejack?” Rainbow Dash was incredulous. Rarity harrumphed.

“Rather. If anything she’s even more obstinate than you are.” She groused. “Tell me, why is it so wrong to put a little effort into your looks?” The unicorn managed to make her blue eyes look so large and soft that Rainbow Dash actually found herself feeling bad for shooting her down…for a moment, anyway. She looked for an escape vector. Running away wasn’t something she did often, but in this case…

She was saved from further entreaties by a high squeaky voice. “Rarity!” Running up to them was a small white unicorn filly, so young she didn’t have a cutie mark yet.

“Sweetie Beeeelle!” Rarity looked down at her sister. “What did I tell you about interrupting me when I’m speaking to somepony?”

“Sorry!” Sweetie Belle looked up at Rainbow Dash with wide-eyed awe. “Wow! You’re pretty! I really like your mane!”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “Heh, thanks!” She looked at Rarity. “Let me guess, your sister?”

Rarity chuckled. “Indeed.” Kneeling down she rubbed muzzles with her sister. Rainbow Dash revised her opinion of her slightly upwards. Most Canterlot fillies tried to ignore if not outright snub their little siblings. They certainly wouldn’t display such sentimentality to them in public. “This is Sweetie Belle. Sweetie Belle, this is Rainbow Dash. She’s new here.”

“Hi!” Sweetie Belle waved energetically. “Scootaloo’s gonna want to meet you!”

Rainbow Dash tilted her head. “Who’s—” A low buzzing, getting louder, answered her question.

The three ponies turned around just in time to see a rising cloud of dust rapidly approaching. From out of the dust came an orange blur on a scooter that soon coalesced into a little orange pegasus filly with a dark purple mane. Turning hard, the scooter skidded to a stop, turning up dust and dirt. “Whoa!” She looked up at the older pegasus. “W-who are you?”

“The name’s Rainbow Dash.” She beat the dust away with a flap of her wings. “Lemme guess, you’re Scootaloo?”

“Yeah!” She turned her head to look at Rainbow Dash’s flank. “Whoa, that’s an awesome cutie mark!”

Dash turned her hip to better show it off. “It is, isn’t it?” She smirked. Rarity cleared her throat.

“Ahem, yes, well as lovely as your flank is I’m afraid I must be going.” She shook some dust from her coat. “I have to tidy up and work on some outfits while I keep an eye on these two while they have a play date. But don’t think you’re off the hook yet!” She looked at Rainbow Dash, her gaze so steely it could cut stone. Rainbow felt her insides shiver. But Rarity just put a big, friendly smile back on her face and addressed the two younger ponies. “Come along dearies!” She started to walk off.

Sweetie Belle waved as if Rainbow Dash was a passenger on a departing ship. “Goodbye Rainbow Dash! Nice meeting you!”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo climbed back on her scooter. “Um, if you’re gonna be around later do you think that I…well, could watch you fly? I-I saw the rainbow coming into town and it was so awesome that--”

Rainbow laughed. “It’s cool squirt.” She tousled Scootaloo’s mane. “Now go on. I’ll catch up with you later, I promise.”

She was answered with a grin so wide it threatened to cleave Scootaloo’s face in two. “Oh wow, awesome! Y-you're the best! I just, wow you rule!” She buzzed her wings as she sped away, her head still trained on Rainbow Dash. “You are too coooooool!” She yelled as her scooter zipped up a ramp and carried her over a carrot stand and out of sight.

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “That filly is gonna go places…the hospital first, most likely, but places!” Still, the fillies’ interruption had saved her from a potential make-over, so she owed them one. Without further interruption she walked inside Sugarcube Corner.

As she looked at the displayed baked goods she noticed the pinkest earth pony with the floofiest mane she’d ever seen standing behind the counter. She blinked only to find the pink pony suddenly right in front of her muzzle. Rainbow couldn’t help letting out a startled yelp as she fell backwards onto her rump.

“Welcome to Sugarcube Corner, the sugariest, tastiest and most cuberific corner in all of Equestria!” Confetti and balloons seem to burst out of nowhere as she raised her forelegs in the air in celebration. “I’m Pinkie Pie! Ooooh! You’re new!” She squealed. “Yaaay! What’s your name?”

“Uh, Rainbow Dash.” She took a half step back before getting up. “So, you work here?”

“Work, live, bake, play, sing, sleep, aaaand party!” Pinkie announced, bouncing in place. “So do you like it here? Huh, do ya? Huh huh?” She leaned further and further forward until she seemed to be defying gravity.

“Oh it’s really nice! It’s a really nice bakery! And this village sure has a lot of…ponies?” Rainbow Dash said, trying to get some space for herself. Pinkie Pie failed to take a hint as she took a step forward.

“Well duh! Silly, where do you think you are?” Pinkie giggled.

Rainbow Dash shrugged her wings. “I don’t know…Coltonville?”

“That all earth pony town?” Pinkie Pie made a face. “Boooring!”

Well, she couldn't argue with that ... “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Yupperooni dooni! That’s why I’m glad I live in Ponyville!” Pinkie beamed.

Dash looked incredulous. “Ponyville? The town is called Ponyville? Surely you’re joking about the name?”

“I’m not joking, silly! I like to joke and I do it a lot but I’m not right now! And my name’s not Shirley, its Pinkie Pie!” Rainbow Dash facehooved again. She’d been doing that a lot lately. She hoped there wasn’t a divot forming in her head from all that. Pinkie hopped up and down some more. “So welcome to Ponyville Dashie!”

“Dashie?” The pegasus looked at her flatly. “Seriously?”

“It’s been a while since we had somepony new come to Ponyville!” The pink pony-shaped ball of energy went on. “I guess someponies just can’t handle all the fun and superness of Ponyville!”

“You sure they’re not just avoiding it because of the name?” Rainbow Dash interjected with a mutter.

“…so now that you’re here I’m sure you and I will become the super bestest of best friends and we’ll have lots of fun together here in Ponyville!”

“Please don’t say that name again.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “It’s so unoriginal it’s actually annoying.” She sighed. “So you want to be friends, huh?”

“Yes yes yes!” Pinkie Pie hopped higher and higher with each yes. “I think you’re so cool Dashie with your bright colors and your whoosh, zoom, eeereow! You’re really funny and I’m sure that you’ll make lots of friends here in the Town-Whose-Name-is-Nevermore-to-be-Said.”

“….Well, how can I argue with that?” Rainbow Dash sighed, hoping somepony would actually have an answer for her. She rubbed her head with her hoof. “I’m actually just gonna be here for a couple of days.”

Pinkie Pie deflated. Literally. Rainbow rubbed her eyes to check to see if she was seeing things. Pinkie pouted. “Awww….then that means I better throw you a party soon!”

Rainbow Dash chuckled, not taking her seriously. “Well, I’ll be staying with Applejack so maybe I’ll catch you later.”

“Okay!” Pinkie thought hard. “But I’ll have to remember to throw myself!”

“…You are a random little pony aren’t you?” Rainbow Dash asked, smiling in spite of herself. “Heh. All right, we’ll party sometime. But if I do, will you promise to start making sense?”

“When do I ever *not* make sense?” Pinkie asked. There was a pregnant pause that was about to go into labor when the bell chimed, indicating that somepony had just walked in. “Ooh hi there!” Pinkie waved from in front of Dash. “How’s our favorite weather pony today? Are you here for your muffins?”

“Yup!” Rainbow’s ears perked up. The voice…she turned around and tried to look over Pinkie, but the poofy mane blocked her vision. She gave herself a little flap just enough to lift her off the ground and gaze over Pinkie’s head.

Her gaze was met by a pair of bright golden eyes who, one wag observed, seemed to be undergoing a trial separation where neither cared to acknowledge the existence of the other. Still, each one was alight with warmth and kindness, matched only by the happy go-lucky smile that graced her face. Attached to said face was a gray pegasus with a blond mane.

You could have knocked Rainbow Dash from the sky with a feather. “Ditzy? Ditzy Doo?”

The gray pegasus’ mismatched eyes whirled around until they focused on the sky blue pegasus and her rainbow mane in sheer shock. “Rainbow Dash?” Her girlish voice squeaked. “It is you!” Ditzy launched herself at Rainbow, tackling her out of the sky and sending them both crashing to the floor.

“Ooof! Ditzy!” Rainbow grunted but couldn’t help laughing. “I haven’t seen you since you were a counselor in training at flight camp!” She gave the wall-eyed mare a hug from the ground. “How’ve you been?”

“Oh, well I—”

“Mama? Who’s that?” They both turned as one to a see a unicorn filly standing in the doorway: a blue-gray unicorn with a blonde mane. Rainbow Dash looked from Ditzy to the filly and back again.

“‘Mama?’” She asked. “Ditzy is that…”

The gray pegasus clambered to her hooves. “Muffin!” She called joyously as she scooped up the filly with her forelegs and hugged her close. “Rainbow Dash, you remember Dinky Doo!”

Dinky looked up. “Hi!” The little filly waved a hoof at Dash.

“Heh, of course I do!" She shook Dinky’s tiny hoof gently. “You don't forget your own godkid...wow, I haven't seen you since you were still in diapers! Remember me?” She grinned. Derpy had made her Dinky's godmother when she was still pregnant. But being the Princess' student and her other responsibilities meant she hadn't been able to see Dinky in what felt like forever. She didn't even remember that Ponyville was where they lived.

Dinky put on an adorable face as she thought hard. “Ummm...oh yeah, you send me those presents on my birthday!” Her eyes lit up as she looked at Rainbow Dash’s mane. “Oh wow! You’re the pony from the pictures!”

“Pictures?” Rainbow Dash gave Ditzy a questioning look.

“I kept some photo albums from Summer Flight Camp.” Ditzy explained. “Dinky likes to look at them sometimes. She remembered your mane; it’s really nice.”

Rainbow Dash idly blew a strand of her namesake mane from the side of her face. “I’ve been getting that a lot today.” She commented ruefully as she gave Dinky a gentle noogie. “Cute squirt.”

Dinky ducked her head away shyly. Even the usually brash Rainbow Dash couldn’t help letting a soft ‘aww’ at the adorableness.

Ditzy beamed, her eyes aglow with pride. “She’s my sweet muffin.” They nuzzled. Wiggling about her mother’s grip, Dinky turned back to Rainbow Dash. “You’re the pony who did the Bonic Rainsoom!”

“Sonic Rainboom.” Ditzy corrected gently.

“You…remember that?” Rainbow felt her heart torn by a mixture of relief and nervousness.

Ditzy looked at her sidewise. Literally. “Of course I do! It was the most wondrous thing ever! Well,” She added with a little smile. “The second most wondrous, anyway.” She put her hoof on her daughter’s head, as if there were any question about what she considered the most ‘wondrous’ thing ever.

“Think you could do it again?” Dinky asked innocently. “It looked amazing!”

Rainbow Dash suppressed the urge to gulp. “Aheh, are you kidding? Of course I can do it again! I can do Sonic Rainbooms in my sleep! Just, er, not right now.” She blustered.

Ditzy stepped in. “Dinky, why don’t you go and pay Miss Pinkie for our muffins, and get an extra one for Rainbow Dash too?” She gave Dinky a small bag of bits from out of her saddle bag. Nodding, Dinky grabbed the bag in her mouth and trotted away. Then Ditzy Doo turned back to Dash and looked at her. Despite only being a couple of years older than Dash, Ditzy had the practiced eyes of a parent and past experience with Dash to boot. “Sonic Rainbooms in your sleep, huh?”

Rainbow Dash actually flinched and scuffed her hooves, Ditzy’s piercing eyes bringing the normally brash pegasus back to when Dash a little filly and Ditzy would catch her sneaking out her cabin or raiding the pantry for cookies. “Well…maybe not in my sleep.” She yielded.

“Rainbow Miriam Dash…” Ditzy Doo said warningly, drawing out her full name.

Giving up, Rainbow threw her hooves in the air. “Alright alright! I can’t do the Sonic Rainboom again, okay? I’ve never been able to do it again! I’ve tried a thousand times and still can’t do it.” She looked away. “Happy?”

“Hey,” The gray mare draped a wing over Dash’s back. “It’s okay. I know you're a great flier. You'll be able to do it again someday.”

She snorted gently in skepticism, but then sighed. “Thanks Ditz. It just…gets to me sometimes.”

“Anytime.” Ditzy smiled. “I always knew you were cut for bigger and better things.”

Rainbow Dash gave a wane smile of her own. “Really?”

Ditzy nodded. “Sure! I guess you could say, I just had an *eye* for greatness.” She allowed her left eye to drift off, prompting a surprised giggle from Rainbow Dash. “So, what brings you to Ponyville?”

Dash shrugged. “I just wanted to get away for a bit. Stretch my wings, you know.” Her account was truthful, if vague. She wasn’t sure if Ditzy would buy it, but she really wasn’t in the mood to go into it further.

“I do.” Ditzy nodded, apparently letting Rainbow Dash have her space. “Even as a filly you could never stay still: you always had someplace else to be…unless you were napping somewhere.” She added with a giggle. Aside from an elegant eye roll, Dash chose not to respond. “Do you have a place to stay?”

“Yeah, I’m staying with Applejack.”

“That’s nice! I go to her farm a lot, weather jobs and all.”

“Heh, yeah, Pinkie said something about you being a weather pony?”

Ditzy nodded. “And a mail mare! I have two jobs!”

“Two?” Rainbow Dash looked incredulous. She couldn’t really imagine holding down one. It sounded too boring. Ditzy gave a small shrug.

“Yeah…well, things are kinda tight right now what with it just being Dinky and me.” She said awkwardly.

Rainbow opened her mouth only to shut it again when the implication sunk in. “…Oh.”

The uncomfortable moment was broken by Dinky running back to them with a paper bag in her mouth. “Ah goff th muwffnz!” She said around the bag. Setting it down Dinky looked up. “Can Rainbow Dash come back to our house and play?”

“Dinky, I think Rainbow Dash probably has plans…” Ditzy started.

“Nah, it’s cool.” Rainbow Dash smiled. “I really didn’t have anything planned out. Besides, it’d be neat to hang out with my old counselor and my godkid and number one fan.” Dinky laughed and hopped around the two pegasi in glee.

“Yippee!”

& & &