• Published 26th Nov 2015
  • 2,515 Views, 99 Comments

Summer In Cloudsdale - Marli_Lin



Rainbow Dash initially did not expect to meet with the famous singer Soarin, After that Dash become his girlfriend in media. Rainbow Dash hope she not regret her decision.

  • ...
6
 99
 2,515

Chapter 2

""Your SONGS are good?!"
Rainbow sat cross-legged on the bed with a blanket wrapped around her whilst staring at Spitfire who was sitting beside her.
"I don't believe you said only that. Why not ask for his autograph?" Spitfire went on with an accusing tone.
Rainbow Dash moaned. "Probably because yesterday I was upset and tired…and had a cerebral palsy." She held her cheeks which were somewhat pale and shook her head. "It looked like my brain was paralyzed overnight. How could I get into the car with two men who I didn't even know? And it was almost midnight too. Gosh, what did I do? I don't like that. No. I was stressed. Thankfully I was lucky. What if something had happened yesterday?"
Spitfire chuckled. "Hey, you weren't with a stranger. You were with Soarin Skies. Why didn't you ask for his autograph? "She asked again, still miffed.
"Soarin Skies is stranger to me," Rainbow Dash said firmly. "Besides, you know I'm not a fan, why would I ask for his autograph?"
"Although you're not a fan, you know a friend who is a fan," said Spitfire again pressing her palms on her chest. "I've been so faithfully waiting for his appearance again for four years. At least you could ask for his autograph for me…not everyone can meet Soarin face to face, you know? And yesterday, by magic you happened to meet him, you talked to him, and he even drove you home, well, at least tried to."
"It was his friends car," Rainbow Dash interrupted. "His friend was there too."
Spitfire ignored her. "You rode with him. Haha, if I were you, I'm would—"
"Hey!"
Spitfire's face softened. "I know, I know. But if you see him next time, don't forget to get an autograph for me."
Dash laid down on the bed. "If I see him again," she murmured softly with a dreamy gaze. "If I see him again…"
Spitfire was toying with one of Dash's blankets when suddenly, "Oh yeah, I heard Soarin was actually gay. I don't know if the rumor is true or not, though I could probably die of disappointment if he is really gay. Yesterday you met him, what did you think? What's his demeanour like? Did he seem normal? Look different? Dis his appearance change after so many years?"
Rainow Dash frowned and thought. "I don't know, I didn't feel there was anything strange about him. He was…ordinary. I told you that yesterday, I was half asleep. I don't even remember what he was wearing."
Spitfire stared at her friend in concern. "You really are useless. Only you can get fever in the summer like this. Does your head still hurt? Is it better, yet?"
Rainbow Dash did not answer the question. She was thinking about something else. Then she bit her lip and asked, "Spit, why do like Soarin? Why are you so mad about him?"
The smile on Spitfire's face widens. "Because he's handsome, funny, good at singing—oh such a good voice—and because he has written songs that are so romantic and touching. The new album will be launched shortly too! Ah, I cannot wait!"
"So?"
Suddenly Spitfire squealed and made Rainbow Dash jump.
"Wha? What is it?" Asked Rainbow Dash as Spitfire grabbed her bag lying on the floor with a grunt and began searching for something in it.
"What a fool I am, so stupid of me," murmured Spitfire repeatedly. "I should've known it, when you told me."
"What?" Asked Rainbow Dash wondering what her friend was talking about.
Spitfire took a tabloid out and turned the pages. "Well, look at this."
Rainbow Dash saw the article entitled "Midnight meeting" and saw what Spitfire meant and shivered. The article featured two photos of Soarin with a woman. The woman's face was not visible, but Rainbow Dash was certainly able to recognize herself. The woman who was with Soarin in the photo was her; Rainbow Dash. Oh my! What was this?
The first photo showed Rainbow Dash and Soarin who were out of the house. Rainbow Dash's head was bowed when photographed so that her face was not visible. Rainbow remembered that Soarin's friend was still inside the house so that was why he wasn't in the photograph.
The second photo was taken when Soarin was opening the car door for her. Her figure was not clear because her body was unobstructed by Soarin. Rainbow Dash felt grateful because her face was not visible.
"I had forgotten about this tabloid when I heard you were sick," said Spitfire explained. "I should have guessed when you told me what you went through last night, but strangely these days my brain is working slowly. The woman in the photo was you…wasn't it?"
"Gosh," Rainbow Dash muttered in disbelief. "Who took these pictures?"
"Soarin is a famous artist," said Spitfire in a tone I-know-all-so-believe-me. "Of course many journalists are busy looking for news about him. And this is really great news. Here, it's written that you're Soarin's lover."
Dash shook her head and looked at the tabloid once more. She still shivered, "I wasn't alone with Soarin. The bespectacled uncle, a friend of Soarin, was also there with us, why should someone take a photo of just us, but not him?"
Spitfire sighed. "I told you, Soarin is a famous artist. The tabloids have to look for news aka rumours, that can attract people's attention. If the three of you were there in the photo, there would be no news."
Rainbow Dash felt her body shiver. "Fortunately, my face is not visible. I hope you won't tell anyone about my meeting with Soarin."
Spitfire eyebrows raised. "Why?"
Rainbow frowned and scratched her head. "No way they won't make indiscriminate gossip. His lover? Me? I don't want to get involved with matters such as gossips of a famous artist…"
"Your head still hurt?" Asked Spitfire when she saw Rainbow Dash holding her forehead.
Rainbow Dash shook her head and smiled. "No, I've been better. It was because of the added stress fatigue, which was fever eventually. But now I have nothing to do Spit, you go home and help your mother. It's lunch hours. Your mothers store must be busy."
"My mother was worried, so I was allowed to stay longer. Oh and, my mother cooked porridge for you. I put it in the kitchen. You have to eat, you understand?" Said Spitfire, taking her bag from the floor. She put her hand on Dash's forehead and muttered, "It's not hot, but you still have to take medication. I will see you again this afternoon. If there's anything, call me."
"You're so sweet, thanks," Rainbow Dash said with a smile. "Convey my thanks to your mother as well because she cooked porridge for me. Ah, nevermind. I should call her myself and thank her. Oh and, you have to remember about the meeting with Soarin last night, don't tell anyone."
"Yes, yes, I know. You just calm down. Rest, ok? Bye," said Spitfire before exiting the room.
---------
Soarin stood upright near a large window office of his manager who was on the 20th floor of a skyscraper. He looked out the window with both hands inserted into the pants of his pocket. He was not enjoying the scenery of Cloudsdale as he often did on a typical day. This morning the tabloid ran an article commenting on his gay gossip. The gossip traveled at high speed. Soon he would be asked for an explanation. Reporters would be chasing him…asking him…demanding responses. That is the risk of becoming an artist. Bad memories of the past resurfaced. Reporters asking thousands of questions endlessly, he felt so frustrated and had to hide to calm down. Now, with the new rumours, the days of struggle would begin again...or, has it already started?
"Oh, Soarin, you came."
Soarin was so busy with his own thoughts that he didn't realize his manager had came into the office.
Ben Bear walked to his desk and put a blue colored folder on the table. "Been here long?"
Soarin shook his head and walked towards the chair across from the table. "Just arrived. Why send for me here early in the morning?"
Ben Bear draped his jacket over the back of the chair and opened the folder he had placed on the table. He issued a tabloid out of it and handed it to Soarin.
Soarin took the tabloid, confused, but when he saw the article that was there, his expression changed. "What is this? How could they…this—"
Soarin looked at his manager and he nodded. "Correct. This photograph was taken last night when we drove the girl."
An irritated Soarin threw the tabloid on the table. "Just great, one rumor is still not enough apparently." He sat down and leaned back in the chair. "How did they get these pictures? Do you think, the girl yesterday had something to do with the problem?"
His manager shook his head slowly. "No, I don't think so. Although such a possibility is still there, but it's tiny, so I don't think so."
Soarin rubbed his chin thoughtfully, he had to admit, the girl yesterday didn't seem like it and may not have anything to do with this rumor, but…
"The girl yesterday, was Rainbow Dash…I've been investigating," said Ben Bear, holding a piece of paper to Soarin. He then continued, "She's in the third year of college and working as a part-time at a fashion designer. Her mother and father live in Ponyville. Her father was the head of a branch of a car company and her mother is a housewife. She is an only child, was born in Ponyville and stayed there until the age of ten, and because her father's work contract has been done, the family moved to Cloudsdale. Five years ago her parents moved back to Ponyville because her father was assigned there once again, while she remained in Cloudsdale. Her background is clean and simple."
Soarin read the writing on the paper in his hand and chuckled. "Where you get all this information? Height and weight in here."
Ben Bear just smiled and pulled out another sheet of paper and began to read, "According to people who know her well, Rainbow Dash is a good woman and trustworthy. Do doesn't smoke, never gets drunk, doesn't using drugs, and has no criminal record whatsoever. So I dare to conclude she had nothing to do with the pictures in the tabloids." Then he handed the paper.
Soarin accept the proffered paper.
Ben Bear sighed. "Although I must admit…the gossip, indirectly, has helped us," he said.
Soarin looked up from the paper in his hand and looked at Ben Bear, waiting for the manager to explain the intent of his words.
"This rumor by itself broke your gay gossip. Photographs show you were with a woman in front of your private home at a very suspicious time," said Ben Bear, smiling broadly.
-----------
"I know you've asked permission to not come to work today because you do not feel well, but I really need you now, Miss Dash. We are extremely busy, I cannot handle it alone. I have to ask you to come. Please come now. Please…You're certainly not ill. If you were, you would've been hospitalised instead of resting at home. Alright?"
Rainbow Dash lay in bed with a mobile phone glued to her ear and her eyes closed. She listened to the words of her boss that were like a flood at the other end. She should not turn on her cell phone these days. Ought not to contact her boss. A boss is not supposed to be like this. She's sick and told to work? Anyway it was Saturday, Dictator!
"Miss Dash? Miss Dash? Hellooo? Are you listening? I can't speak for long. Very very busy. You're coming, right?"
"Yes, yes, Miss Rarity. I understand. I'll be there in an hour,." said Rainbow Dash lazily.
"You have half an hour to get to the studio." Her boss said before hanging up.
Rainbow Dash looked at her cell phone with a cranky mood. "You're going to accept my resignation letter on Monday. Dracula! Bloodsuckers! Hhh!"
Swearing, Rainbow Dash forced herself to her feet and shuffled to the wardrobe.
Forty-three minutes later, Rainbow Dash was standing outside the studio of Miss Rarity, one of the most popular fashion designers in Cloudsdale. Called by her boss, the studio is cluttered and the work space is full of cloths of various shades, both a useless rag or cloths which are still new. The studio is located on the top floor of the three story building.
Rarity's boutique itself consists of two floors: the first floor for dedicated public while the second floor for VIP guests.
Rainbow Dash came in and saw a middle-aged woman dressed elegantly, and tears in the eyes of the skinny models. She was not satisfied. Then with a jolt hands, she sent a model back and told her men to call other models.
Just as model into the room, Rarity was aware Rainbow entered and immediately screamed, "Miss Dash! You're late. Why—one minute." She turned toward the new model that had come in and said sharply, "No, no! Not you. What should I do to be understood of what kind of model I need? Gosh! Fetch Mister Cha here."
Rainbow felt sorry seeing the shocked expression female model. It should be know that Miss Rarity is not an easy woman. Sometimes a genius is indeed difficult to please.
Miss Rarity refocused on Rainbow Dash. "You see, Miss Dash, we're really busy for a fashion show. Please deliver these clothes."
What? To whom? Miss Rarity always expects other people to immediately understand the words that are not always clear.
"Deliver to whom and for what, Miss Rarity?" Asked Rainbow Dash.
Miss Rarity looked at her bluntly. "Gosh. You do remember I told you about Soarin, right? He has agreed to wear my design in every appearance. So you must hurry up and go there, make sure his clothes match his size and taste."
Then, before Rainbow Dash could asked again she pointed the clothes rack on wheels near the door, "That! Those clothes on the rack!"
No, you haven't mentioned anything about this to me, Rainbow Dash fumed inwardly, but all that came out of her mouth was, "Who is it, again?"
"Soarin. The singer. Don't you know? Anyway, familiarity or not is not an important issue. There! Go quickly! He is waiting in the boutique. Go on. Go! Quick!" She said, pushing Dash towards the studio exit.
Rainbow Dash pushed rack of clothes that was almost completely filled along the corridor. Filled with anger, she walked towards the elevator. On the way Rainbow Dash ran into the boutique guard who she was already well acquainted with and he told that Soarin was waiting on the second floor.
Arriving at the front door of the second floor exhibition hall which radiated the impression of elites, she hesitated. Why did she have to meet Soarin again? What should she say to him? What should she do? Did he know about the photos published in the tabloids?
Rainbow Dash sighed and bit her lip. Maybe Soarin didn't even remember her anymore. Rainbow Dash nodded. True, Soarin would have forgotten her. For artists, it must be hard to remember faces because they meet people everyday. How could they remember every person they meet for a short time, right?
With that belief, Rainbow Dash pushed the large glass doors in front of her and stepped inside. She drew a deep breath and forced her legs to keep going.
Rainbow Dash stood at the door of the white exhibition room and sighed, now or never. Finish this as soon as possible! That person will not remember you. Just do your job. She reached for the door and opened it.
-----------
"One of her people should deliver the clothes here," said Ben Bear, closing the flap of his phone.
Soarin exhaled loudly and flopped into an overstuffed sofa placed in the middle of the exhibition room. "I told you, we shouldn't have come so soon." He glanced at his watch. "Ah, I was wrong, it isn't us who came early. They are late. Hhh…how long do we have to wait?"
Ben was about to answer when his phone rang for the umpteenth time in the last two hours.
Soarin looked at his manager, who was speaking in a formal language at the phone. It looked like a phone call from a producer or something. Ben signaled he would be outside for a while. Soarin nodded indifferently and Ben walk out of the room.
Soarin put his head to the back of the sofa, trying to get comfortable. Just when he felt peaceful and almost asleep, he heard the door open and a woman's voice speak.
"Good afternoon. Sorry to keep you waiting long."
Soarin opened his eyes. A girl shoulder-length, rainbow coloured hair, with a red hat entered the room pushing a wheeled clothes rack. The girl bowed. Soarin stood and bowed slightly to reciprocate the greeting.
"Miss rarity asked me to bring these clothes for you. Try them on." She pushed the rack up to the end of the room, close to the dressing cubicle. She pulled one of the clothes hanger and held it out to Soarin. "Try them in there," she said, pointing to an enclosed booth with a thick purple curtain.
There was a strange feeling that bothered Soarin, but he didn't know what made him feel like it. He received the proffered clothes and went to the dressing cubicle.
He finished dressing and opened the curtains. Just then he saw the girl who brought the clothes for him, was sitting on a stool beside the sofa. Her red cap was removed and the girl was combing her hair slightly with her fingers. Soarin was stunned and stared at the girl. That was the first time he saw clearly.
Suddenly her face looked surprised, as if she was aware of being watched. She quickly put on her hat and stood back up. "How was it? Do the clothes fit? Do you like them?"
Wasn't she the girl who they met yesterday? No mistake, it was her. Soarin still remembered the girl's face. Tired and pale. The girl standing in front of him was indeed the girl yesterday. Her face still looked tired and pale. But why she not say anything? Does she not recognize him?
"We've met," said Soarin. He didn't ask. He was absolutely sure. He wanted to see her reaction.
The girl was stunned, then slowly raised her head and looked at Soarin with hesitation.
Her gaze was hesitant, it was unmistakably the same look of the girl who came to his house yesterday. Soarin waited for her to say something.
"Oh?" She mumbled after a few seconds of silence.
Soarin was disappointed because she did not show any reaction. He just stared at her with big eyes. Was the girl stupid or she really didn't remember what happened yesterday night? Not arrogant, but Soarin didn't understand how one can forget a artist she met last night? Soarin was annoyed because even he himself remembered the girl while the girl apparently did not remember him. Why? Or was it he was not as popular as he thought? Did the world has changed without his knowledge?
"You came to my house last night because my cell phone was switched with your cell phone," said Soarin flatly, trying to jog the memory of the girl. For God's sake, was this girl suffering from amnesia?
-----------
Rainbow Dash watched as Soarin went into the dressing cubicle and pulled the curtains. She heaved a sigh of relief and sat down on the soft stool. Evidently the man did not recognize her. Rainbow removed cap and held her cheek with one hand. She was very tired. Hopefully until the job is finished Soarin will not recognize her. She was combing the hair with the fingers dreamily. Suddenly she saw Soarin standing there watching. Rainbow Dash gasped and immediately put her hat back.
"How was it? Do the clothes fit? Do you like them? "She asked in a tone that made cheerful and polite.
"We've met."
Rainbow Dash didn't budge. She bit her lip. Turns Soarin recognized her. What about now? Admit it? But if she admitted now, it would feel strange. Finally, she could only mutter unclearly.
"You came to my house last night because my cell phone was switched with your cell phone," said Soarin again. His tone flat.
Well, she couldn't fake it anymore. She forced a smile. "Oh, yes, right. How are you?"
That's all she could think. Rainbow Dash quietly berated herself in her mind. Soarin looked at her with a strange look, then turned away and snorted softly. "Apparently, now you remember," he muttered.
Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrows. "Yes?"
Soarin turned back to her and said, "So you work here?"
"Yes…you could say that," she said. She felt relieved now. At least she does not have to bow her head again. No need to hide her face again.
"The picture in the tabloid…you've seen it?" Asked Soarin.
Rainbow Dash gulped. This was it. Soarin thought she was behind all of this.
"I ...," she said uncertainly, then quickly added, shaking her head, "it's not me…I mean, I have nothing to do with it. Really."
Soarin chuckled. "We thought so. Besides, the pictures are actually helping me."
Rainbow Dash did not understand.
"You often read the tabloids?" Said Soarin.
Rainbow Dash shook her head. She didn't have time for it. Besides, she didn't need to read the tabloids to know the gossip about the artist. Her friend, Spitfire, is a tabloid fanatic. She knows all the latest gossip around the world. Whatever she would know, she told Rainbow Dash, either she actually wanted to know or not.
Soarin nodded. "Well, then you do not know anything about gossip on me."
"The gay gossip?" The words spilled out of Dash's mouth without her brain processing it first.
Soarin looked at her. "I thought you said you do not read the tabloids?" Rainbow Dash tilted her head awkwardly. "My friend told me."
"Apparently a lot of people already know." Soarin sigh. "However, the photographs have helped overcome the gossip."
Rainbow Dash just nodded indifferent, but she was surprised when he suddenly turned toward her with a beaming face.
"Rainow Dash—your name is Rainbow Dash, Right?" He asked quickly. Without waiting for an answer, he continued, "Because you've helped me once, can you help me again?"
Rainbow Dash took a step backward. "What kind of help?"
"Be my girlfriend."
"W-what?!"
Soarin was somewhat surprised to hear the cries of the girl.
"Well, let me rephrase that," he said, his hands on his hips and thought. Then he looked up and stared at Rainbow Dash. "I just wanted to ask you to take pictures with me as my girlfriend."
Rainbow Dash blinked in confusion. Soarin quickly explained. He was very aware of the girl's eyebrows raised when listening to the story.
"Just take a picture?" Asked Soarin at the end of his explanation. He stared at Rainbow, who was still stunned. Why did he suddenly feel as though he were tied in court? He was very curious about what to say to the girl, what's the answer?
The first sentence that came out of the mouth her was, "Why me?"
Good question. "No particular reason," said Soarin, relaxed. "I thought you might want to help. After all we've been photographed together albeit accidentally."
Rainbow still looked confused, but Soarin saw the girl's brow furrowed, a sign that she was considering proposal. Rainbow least indirectly rejected.
Soarin quickly took the opportunity to add, "If you want, let's just say I'm offering you a job. It will not interfere with your work now. You were in college? College also will not be disturbed."
"Do I look like I'm in need of a job?" Asked Rainbow flatly. "Or needed money?"
Soarin was silent. He looked at Rainbow from head to toe. No, this girl already had a job and from the way she dressed, she does not look poor.
"No," Soarin admitted. "Tell you what, I'll give you anything you want if you're willing to help me."
"Just to take pictures with you?" Asked Rainbow Dash to make sure.
"That's the plan," said Soarin for sure. He began to feel insecure. What it being considered? Well, maybe it is because basically Rainbow Dash is not one of his fans. So, no wonder that the girl was not enthusiastic about this idea.
Suddenly a phone rang. Automatically, Soarin reached into the inside pocket of his jacket. At the same time Dash also reached into her handbag which was on the table. It turned out that the girl's cell phone had rang. Soarin remembered he and Dash have same ring tone and phone. Perhaps one of them should change the ring tone.
Rainbow Dash looked at her cell phone, opened the fla, but immediately closed it again without answering first. Curiosity in Soarin grew when he saw the girl remove the battery and put it in the bag. Who called her? There wasn't any expression on her face. But it looked like she did not intend to provide an explanation for her actions just now.
"Do you want to help?" Soarin finally asked after they were both silent for a moment.
The girl looked up and stared at Soarin. "Well, as long as my face is not visible."
Air around Soarin felt lighter. He exhaled slowly and smiled in relief. Rainbow Dash was not as difficult as expected. If you just keep her identity secret, he could understand it. This girl certainly did not want to deal with reporters.
"Thank you. I hope you will not tell others about our deal, even your parents. I do not want to create a worse scandal. I can trust you, right?"
"Um, I understand," said Rainbow Dash agreed. But when he saw her eyes were slightly glazed, Soarin not sure if she really understood him.
At that moment the door opened and they both turned. It was Ben Bear. The manager looked at them both with a look of wonder, then after a moment his face brightened.
"Hey, you were from yesterday?" Said Ben as he approached Dash.
Soarin grinned. "Ben, she is willing to be my girlfriend."
The manager's smile vanished. "What do you mean?"
"You said yesterday…about the picture…I've thought about it," said Soarin, still smiling. "We just do it. She is been willing to help. It's exactly like your plan you proposed yesterday. "
Ben Bear looked confused. "About yesterday…?" He paused, "God, are you serious?"
"I'll explain further later," said Soarin, patting the shoulder of his manager. "We have continue our work first. Are not we here because I have to try all these clothes?"
Rainbow finished her work and was out of the boutique with shaky steps, semiconscious. Her job for clothes for Soarin was already finished, but her brain was still lagging behind most of the time in the boutique. She walked with a slow pace, veering down the road, then stopped herself.
"What have I done?" She asked herself while holding cheek with one hand.
Rainbow Dash had tried hard to calm down because her heart was pounding. Since she had fought her nervousness, it was not seen by the two men. She felt awkward when Soarin explained his plan to the manager while he was trying on clothes.
The manager had hesitated. It was a lot to ask of Rainbow Dash, and he repeatedly stressed that this problem should not be to be known by others. Of course, Dash understood. Quietly, listening to Ben Bear, Dash only watched. He had a pleasant way of speaking, a charming smile and friendly eyes. Dash knew Ben wondered why she would help Soarin, but he pretended to act dumb. At first Dash was somewhat hesitant to offer Soarin her help, but finally her curiosity won. She's convinced herself it was the right path. This may be her opportunity to get answers to questions that had been haunting her…
Anyways, according to the offer, it was not difficult. She just needed to be photographed with Soarin. Not a problem. She could do it. She was aware this agreement would mean she met him often, but this was not a problem, yet she did not feel anything for that artist. Another value, that she often shared, she will know and understand why her close friends and also many other women are be crazy about him.
"All right," she said to herself. "I can do it. Oh my gosh! I forgot to ask for an autograph for Spit."
Dash reached into her purse for her phone, but then stopped. Should I not tell Spit that I met Soarin today? She would be upset because I forgot to ask for an autograph. But it certainly would be more upsetting if she knew I was hiding about this meeting…
Dash continued to look for her cell phone in her purse and found it and the battery which she had separated. Suddenly she was reminded that Thunderlane had called. Hopefully Thunderlane would understand why she didn't accept the call. Uh…wait, come to think of it, why should she feel guilty? The whole experience, when Thunderlane is calls, is certainly not for important things.
Why does he still continue to reach her? Wasn't Thunderlane the one who had broken up with her?
Dash put her batteries back in her phone and was about to contact Spitfire when she remembered her promise. Aah…right, I've made a promise to Uncle Ben I would not tell it to others.
She put the cell phone back into her purse, then she looked up at the blue sky and muttered, "All right, Dash. Hopefully you do not regret your decision."
Now she had to go home and sleep. She had promised to meet them tonight…