• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 7,434 Views, 301 Comments

Sunset Slayer - Pen Stroke



Seven friends work to keep Equestrian magic secret, but somethings will refuse to be kept hidden away.

  • ...
17
 301
 7,434

The Master

Sunset Slayer

By Pen Stroke

Pre-read & Edited by

Chapter 7

The Master

==========

“Keep safe, and if something happens, call the principals.”

Those were Sunset’s last words before she turned to run back into the school.

She, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Spike had met up with Rainbow and Pinkie at Crystal Prep’s front gates. Pinkie Pie freaked out, in a good way, about Spike, and Rainbow was angry about what happened to Applejack. Still, they took a few moments to discuss their next move, and the group split up once more.

Twilight, armed with Fluttershy’s locket device and protected by Spike, would keep Applejack drained of magic and out of the fight. That left Sunset, Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Pinkie to face The Master head on, and Sunset was liking their chances. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash represented one of their best fighting combinations, and Fluttershy would ensure The Master didn’t try to sneak away. Together, the four of them would bring The Master down.

Once more, Sunset pulled open the doors of Crystal Prep and led her friends inside. Rainbow circled the room, her feet never touching the ground. Pinkie and Fluttershy stayed close to Sunset. Fluttershy carried Pinkie’s locket device while Pinkie’s hands held tightly to the straps of her backpack.

They were not being overly stealthy. Rarity discovered their escape just a few minutes after it had happened. Fluttershy had caught a glimpse of her standing in the room, glaring down at them before running back into the school hallway. In all likelihood, she ran straight to The Master, ruining their element of surprise.

Still, after all the sneaking around, Sunset was ready to make some noise.

Fluttershy monitored the school with her enhanced senses as they made their way through the dark hallways. She hadn’t heard any of the exterior doors open nor had she heard any more windows break. Unless The Master had been utterly silent during his own escape, he was still in the building, and the best place to start looking was his den in the cafeteria.

When they reached the cafeteria, the doors were shut tight. Sunset called on her magic, getting ready to force them open, when Fluttershy touched her shoulder.

Fluttershy looked utterly terrified as a few words stumbled out of her mouth. “I… s-smell blood... Rarity’s blood.”

The doors were ripped off their hinges a moment later, and the four hunters ran into the cafeteria.

The Master himself was waiting for them, sitting in his chair as if patiently waiting for a cup of tea to arrive. He had his right, clawed hand up near his face, and he was licking it clean of lingering blood. At his feet, a pale, limp corpse lay in a crimson puddle.

“Rarity!” Sunset’s eyes lingered on her friend, then flicked up to The Master as her trembling hands balled into fists. “What did you do!?”

“I don’t tolerate failure.” The Master paused to lick a particularly long trail of blood off his claw. “She spent so long helping Spike with his outfit, yet she could not notice he was no longer under my control. I am displeased with Applejack as well, for allowing herself to be felled, but that situation would not have been created if the dog was still on his leash. So she had to be punished. Such a shame. She really was an excellent seamstress.”

“You monster!” Sunset shouted, the trembling in her fists spreading to her whole body. Her blood was boiling, and with each passing moment, the urge to lunge at The Master increased. She, however, had to hold herself back. Her paranoid rush to action earlier had gotten Applejack bitten, and they could not afford another mistake like that. She had to keep her head.

The scene before her was set up too perfectly. Rarity was positioned between them and The Master. There had to be a reason. Sunset just had to figure out why. Maybe he was trying to unsettle them and make them act rashly.

“So, shall I assume you came here to surrender yourselves, or are you just here to collect a corpse?”

A blur of blue moved past Sunset. Rainbow was on the attack, taking full advantage of her incredible, magic-fueled speed. Using her wings to propel herself forward, she was already rearing back a fist to punch The Master square in the face. Sunset tried to reach out and grab Rainbow by her foot, to hold her back from making a possibly dangerous mistake, but she was too fast.

That was when Rarity moved.

With a wicked smile blossoming onto her lips, Rarity opened her eyes and raised a hand as her magic aura pulsed to life. The whole situation had been a ruse, and Sunset couldn’t deny she would have fallen for it. Rarity looked dead, and there was enough blood on the floor to be convincing. Even if they had attacked The Master strategically, they would have turned their backs on Rarity’s corpse eventually.

Movement in the corner of her eye caught Sunset’s attention, and she glanced to her right. Pinkie Pie had one leg in the air and one arm sweeping across her body. She had thrown something, and Sunset quickly followed the line of Pinkie’s gaze in Rainbow’s direction. It was a water balloon, one that was now hitting the back of Rainbow’s head.

The sudden impact made Rainbow flinch, her flight path changing as she tumbled past The Master and the long lengths of fabric Rarity had summoned to ensnare her like a fly in a web.

Pinkie’s magic-enhanced sixth sense, and her water balloon, had saved them.

Before Sunset could cheer Pinkie’s actions, she had already reached into her backpack and withdrew a fresh water balloon, one of many that Sunset could see through the bag’s opening. Another expert pitch later, and the second water balloon slapped into and popped against The Master’s face. “That’s for making us think Rarity was dead, you big meanie!”

Rainbow circled around the edge of the room, getting back to her friends as she glared at Pinkie. “Why do you have water balloons, and why did you hit me?!”

“And how dare you insult Master!” Rarity said as she pulled herself up from the floor, trying to straighten her hair, despite the fact that it and her body were caked in blood. “Your childish games will not be tolerated Pinkie—”

Rarity’s rant was cut off as Pinkie tossed a balloon right in her face, the water causing Rarity to tense up. “Ah! That’s cold!”

“Huh, well, I guess holy water doesn’t work on them.” Pinkie Pie withdrew another balloon and turned it over in her hand. “I wonder if holy water becomes regular water when you put it in balloons.”

“Where did you even get that much holy water?” Rainbow asked as she gestured to Pinkie’s backpack.

“I know a guy,” Pinkie said with a shrug.

“Girls, can we do this later?” Sunset said through clenched teeth as her eyes remained focused on The Master, who had stood up from his seat. He withdrew a handkerchief from the inside of his suit, using it first to dry his face then to clean the blood from his claw. He then folded it, tucked it away, and placed his hands behind his back as he glared at Sunset and the others.

“I suppose I must give you credit for eluding our trap with such a strange water device,” The Master said as he stepped up beside Rarity. “Though, perhaps it was too much to hope that we could put an end to this in the most efficient manner possible. Thus, in the interest of time, how about we be diplomatic about this? Surely you can see how happy your friend is. Become vampires, serve me, and you’ll find yourselves enjoying—”

Another water balloon smacked into The Master’s face.

Sunset glanced to Pinkie and Rainbow, but seeing neither one of them had thrown the balloon, her eyes moved to Fluttershy. She wore a heavy scowl on her face. “We’d never want to become creatures that have to hurt other people just to survive.”

The Master lifted a claw to his face, removing a trailing shred of the popped water balloon from his nose and flicking it to the floor. He didn’t make an effort to dry his face with his handkerchief this time. Instead, he turned his back to them. “Very well, then unfortunately, I find you entirely too annoying. Rarity, get the door, kill them, and bring me their magic draining tools.”

“With pleasure, Master.” Rarity’s magic surged, and she conjured dozens of daggers with a flick of her wrist while The Master walked away. His footsteps were taking him towards a door at the far end of the room. It had been blocked by the cafeteria tables that had been shoved away to make room for The Master’s den, but Rarity’s magic was clearing the path.

“Where do you think you’re going!?” Sunset shouted. She tried to take a step to pursue The Master, but a dozen new daggers appeared directly in front of her. She shifted a glare to Rarity, who was grinning ear to ear as she summoned more and more daggers into the air. It was a writhing cloud which flowed and moved at but a flick of Rarity’s wrists. Some of the cloud broke off to protect The Master’s escape, while the rest loomed over Sunset and the others, a threatening storm of bloodthirsty blades.

“I’m sorry, darlings, but I’m afraid I must ask for your complete and undivided—!” Rarity’s whole body tensed, some of her daggers blinking out of existence, as she was smacked in the face by a water balloon. She opened her mouth again to continue her words, but another expert toss from Pinkie Pie cut Rarity off before she could mutter a single syllable. Rarity turned, trying to shield her face from the assault, but a loud shriek escaped her throat as a balloon popped right against her butt.

“What’s wrong, Rarity? You’re wearing a swimsuit, we thought you’d want to get wet,” Rainbow taunted, having been the one that scored the bullseye on Rarity’s behind. She grabbed two more balloons from Pinkie’s bag, and the pair of them began a steady volley of balloons. Each blow made Rarity tense, yelp, or curse, and each splash of water was making some of her conjured daggers disappear.

Rainbow took to the air with an armful of balloons, half of Pinkie’s remaining stock, and began playing the part of a bomber as she assaulted Rarity from above. Pinkie tossed one additional balloon, then smiled over at Fluttershy and Sunset as she pointed at the far door, which was now guarded by only a few lingering daggers. “You two go after that big meanie. We’ll catch up as soon as the water fight is done here.”

~~~

The Master had gotten a fair lead, but running at a full sprint, Fluttershy and Sunset were closing the gap. Fluttershy was leading the way, following The Master’s smell and the sound of his footsteps. He had followed the path that had been traveled once before that evening, eventually reaching the wrestling gym and heading out the exit located there. Once more, they were outside the school, the teacher’s parking lot stretched out before them and connecting to the school’s exterior basketball court.

The Master was on top of one of the hoops, balancing on the backboard which had bent a little under his weight. He was standing straight, his claws clasped behind his back. From his vantage point, The Master could see across the treetops to the city center in the distance. Skyscrapers were dotted with lights, while the freeways flowed with the trickle of traffic that occurred at such a late hour.

“You’d have to stand on a peak adjacent to Canterlot to get such a wondrous view, and yet even this city is not the finest in the world.” The Master glanced over his shoulder at Sunset and Fluttershy, his red eyes glowing in the dark of the night. “I find myself rather fond of this human world. A higher population, and your technology is to be applauded. It’s in many ways far more useful than the common magic of Equestria. The fact that your sun and moon move under their own power is to be commended as well.”

The Master turned to face them, still keeping his claws behind his back like he was a lecturer at some university. Sunset wanted to bring him down, but she didn’t want to start a fight now either. They just had to be sure he didn’t go anywhere. Pinkie and Rainbow would drain Rarity, then the four of them could bring down The Master together. It was a staring match, and The Master seemed keen to fill the silence.

“Not that there isn’t room for improvement, mind you. A strong vampire ruling class could do wonders to end the human conflict in the world. It was true in the other world, before those holier-than-thou Princesses decided to butt in. They couldn’t be happy simply cleaning up after Discord. Now, I find myself faced with a similar situation: a world of wild dogs that would rather run free and growl at my offerings, even when loyal servitude would guarantee peace and stability. And from the packs of mongrels rise two individuals who are slightly more troublesome than the others.”

With a slight flex of his ankle, The Master hopped down from the top of the hoop and descended to the teachers’ parking lot. “A vampire with loyalty to no lord, and a creature that can resist the curse all together. As isolated incidents, you can supply hope and rebellion. As the beginnings of new factions, you are the roots of a choking weed. I had hoped Rarity would kill you, but I suppose I should be grateful she is keeping the two others occupied. Those two have great potential as vampires. They alone could keep nations in check. I’d rather not kill them.

“You two, in comparison, will serve me best as worm food.” The Master drew out his hands, the joints of his claws popping as they grew in size, stretching the fabric of his suit sleeves to the ripping point. His ears lengthened, becoming more bat-like, and his fangs grew to peek out from between his lips. “So, as your final act, do try to make yourselves worth the effort.”

Sunset brought up her fists and spread her stance. This was the risk they took chasing him outside. He started walking towards them, each step of his shoes gritting ominously against the asphalt of the parking lot. The claws on each hand were the size of meat cleavers now, ready to rend flesh from bone.

“Stay behind me, Fluttershy,” Sunset said. Her aura expanded around her hands, trying to create a pair of magical fists to compete with The Master’s claws. Sunset’s magic flickered, but she gritted her teeth and forced it to stabilize. She just had to hold the line and keep The Master near the school building until Rainbow and Pinkie could come and help. That was all she had to do to save Rarity and Applejack.

The Master lunged once he was within striking distance, drawing back and swiping horizontally with his right claw. Sunset brought up her magic to block, having to brace against the blow with both hands. She was nearly knocked off her feet, but she felt something pushing against her back. Fluttershy had caught Sunset before she could lose her balance, and the pair of them worked together to counteract the force of The Master’s first attack.

Sunset turned her wrists, grabbing The Master’s claw with her aura. She turned and shifted her shoulder into a throw, bringing The Master up into the air before slamming him down against the pavement. The Master hit the ground back first, and his body left a few small impressions. He lay there for one moment, then his gaze flicked up to Sunset.

“You do realize this is a new suit.” The Master lifted his left claw across his body and dug its talons into Sunset’s magic. She screamed and pulled herself and Fluttershy away from The Master. She felt a warm wetness on the inside of her hands, still gloved from earlier. A few drops of blood began to drip out the back, but Sunset just drew in a sharp breath and clenched her fists tighter.

She just had to hold out.

Picking himself up off the ground, The Master paused a moment to dust some gravel off his suit before he turned to face Fluttershy and Sunset again. He cracked his neck, then lunged forward a second time. He swung with both claws, and the sharp talons threatened to clamp down on Sunset like the teeth of an alligator. She brought up her magic to defend herself, but felt a tug on her body as well. She was lifted skyward just in time to see The Master’s claws clap together just inches below her feet.

“Thanks, Fluttershy,” Sunset shouted, giving her winged friend a thumbs up before refocusing her gaze back on the ground. “We’ve definitely got the advantage as long as we stay airborne.”

“You would think that, wouldn’t you?” The Master’s eyes glowed brighter for a moment, and his body began to contort. The suit grew tighter against his skin, the fabric starting to rip at the seams. The back split open, and from the exposed vertebrae, a pair of wings quickly grew into existence. The Master stretched his wings once, then took off from the ground with a mighty flap.

“Move!” Sunset shouted.

Fluttershy flapped her own wings in an attempt to dodge, and Sunset brought up her magic to form a barrier. Both of their tactics failed to stop The Master. His claw pierced Sunset’s magic and caught Fluttershy’s wing. The leathery skin was split, and both of the girls yelped as gravity pulled them down. They had not gotten high off the ground, but the asphalt of the parking lot was hard and unforgiving.

Sunset struck the pavement, and every thought in her mind was shattered. Pain was the first sensation to return. Her shoulder and the side of her hip ached. Her head throbbed like it was the bell of a clock tower being struck relentlessly, and she tasted blood in her mouth. She tried to think, to form a thought strong enough to open her eyes. A dozen times her will crumbled under the pain before, finally, she was able to force her eyelids open.

The Master had landed, looking like some deformed monster that had been crammed into a nice suit. He drew his bloodied claw to his nose, sniffing it once before sneering. “Such a distasteful curse.” He lowered his hand and began walking, taking a few steps before coming to a stop over Fluttershy, her now shredded wing poking into the air as she moaned and shifted in pain.

Reaching down, The Master’s claw wrapped around Fluttershy’s chest and picked her up like a rag doll. He held her high, so her feet dangled off the ground, and glared at her like he was inspecting some piece of livestock. “Awaken and heed my words.” He squeezed, making Fluttershy cringe and struggle in his grip. Her eyes finally opened to meet his expectant gaze.

“Tell me the origin of your curse so that I might snuff it out.” The Master began squeezing again.

Fluttershy’s legs flailed uselessly, and her hands tried to push against his claws in a fruitless struggle against the vice-like pressure. “Dracula. It’s a bat called Dracula,” Fluttershy answered between gasps of breath as her chest was being crushed.

“I know no such vampire from Equestria, Tartarus, or any kingdoms of the other world. Tell me the truth.” The Master squeezed harder, and Fluttershy’s struggles became more frantic.

Sunset tried to reach out a hand, tried to call her magic, but it was all gone. She was spent, badly injured, and probably a stone’s throw away from death. Still, she clawed at the asphalt, trying to pull herself up, if only to distract The Master for a moment.

“I swear. I’m telling the truth.” Fluttershy began to cry, the pain overwhelming her. She flapped her one good wing, trying to pull herself free, but her struggles were growing weaker. She could not take a proper, deep breath, and with each moment, the crushing grip on her body tightened.

The Master cracked a smile. “Perhaps, but I want to kill you anyway.” A loud pop came from The Master’s hand, and it wasn’t a joint cracking. It was one of Fluttershy’s ribs breaking. Her face contorted into a silent scream, her lungs unable to provide the necessary force of air to make it audible.

“Stop it!” Sunset finally managed to claw herself into a sitting position. With a wound on her head bleeding as well as her gums, she glared down The Master. She supported her weight with one hand, while the other fumbled to pull something out of her pocket. “Leave her alone, or you’ll be sorry,” Sunset said before spitting the blood that had accumulated in her mouth.

The Master’s eyes lazily shifted over to her. “You know, that threat sounds terribly hollow from a pony.”

Sunset’s body tensed reactively, making her wince as a snap of pain stabbed at her nerves. She tried to form the words, to question how, but The Master read the look on her face before she could ask. “Yes, I know what you are. I could taste it on your blood. Threats from ponies carry as much weight as a feather on the wind. Now, do be patient. I’ll get to you shortly.” The Master turned his gaze to focus back on Fluttershy.

Sunset managed to free the item from her pocket. She should have, perhaps, been fishing for her cellphone. All she would have to do was dial the number. Then Spike and Twilight would come to help them, but it would be too late by then. The Master would have finished with Fluttershy. There was no time for anyone or anything else.

Her thumb rubbed the exterior of the wooden case, staining the finely-carved moon symbol on the exterior. With one hand, Sunset undid the latch and opened the lid. Inside, resting on a piece of blue, silken fabric was a bracelet studded with amber gemstones. Sunset pinched the bracelet between two fingers, keeping a hold of it as gravity pulled away the case and made it fall.

The sound of the case clattering against the ground drew The Master’s gaze back. “What trinket is that?”

“This little thing?” Sunset brought the bracelet to her teeth. She gripped it with her mouth for a moment, just long enough for her to slip her fingers through the opening. The bracelet fell past her wrist and came to a rest on her arm. “It was a gift someone gave me the first time we met. She had some wise words to tell me, the day she came over here. When faced with a wildfire, that seeks to burn all I care for, she prayed I would always have the water to douse it. But should the fire burn too hot, she said to remember there are other ways of fighting the blaze.”

The gemstones on the bracelet began to glow, and Sunset’s aura pulsed. Her legs gained renewed strength, and she managed to stumble into a standing position. She breathed a few times, a few curls of steam rolling off her breath. She then looked up at The Master as tiny flames of black and piercing-blue began to mix with her aura. “She told me that, once in a blue moon, I might need to—”

~~~

The gentle tapping at the door made Sunset glance up from her phone. She had been lounging on the couch in The Library, spending a calm Sunday morning in solitude. Her friends always came by sooner or later on weekends, but they never knocked. Sitting up, Sunset watched the door for a few seconds before the knocking came a second time. Maybe one of them had forgotten their key, or maybe they had their hands full. Standing up, Sunset moved to the door, flicked the lock, and cracked it open.

“Vice Principal Luna?”

“May I come in a moment?”

Sunset backed away from the door, letting Luna step into the room. It was rare to see her at the school on a Sunday. She and Celestia were devoted school administrators, but they still relished their days off. That, and Luna wasn’t wearing her normal pant suit. She was in a long, flowing dress that sparkled and glistened with each step. She also had a different posture. She was carrying herself taller, with her hands folded in front of her.

“I pictured this place to be somewhat larger, considering what Twilight has described to me.” Luna strode towards the computers, her eyes watching as some windows popped up and moved. Twilight was controlling the desktop remotely, likely cozied up with Spike on her lap back at her parent’s house.

“But haven’t you been down here before?” Sunset asked.

“I suppose my counterpart has, yes, but I haven’t.”

Sunset titled her head to one side, then took a step back as the realization hit her. “Princess Luna? You came through the mirror? Is there something wrong in Equestria?”

“At present, no,” Princess Luna said as she turned away from the computer. Sunset bowed her head, reacting on old instincts. Luna, however, stepped closer, put her hand on Sunset’s chin, and tilted her head back up. “But I suppose the same cannot be said of this world. Your last report to Princess Twilight indicated that Fluttershy’s condition has not improved since the incident.”

Sunset withered, but nodded her head. “We’re still keeping a close tab on things. She hasn’t gotten worse, but she’s not getting better, either. We still think defeating the Dracula entity will turn her back, but we haven’t had any solid leads yet. It’s gone into hiding.”

“I have faith that you and your friends will be able to track the entity down. This situation, however, has raised a concern, one I wish to address.” Princess Luna unfolded her hands and held out her right palm to Sunset, in which rested a wooden box that had been engraved with a fanciful crescent moon. “The magic of friendship is your greatest weapon, but it is fragile. If even one of your friends is absent or incapacitated, the power becomes inaccessible. In Equestria, there are other tools that can be employed should the magic of friendship ever fail.”

Luna extended her hand further, holding the wooden case closer to Sunset. “This world does not have such a safety net, and that is why I am here.”

Sunset hesitated for a moment, but then took the box, cracked it open and picked up the bracelet contained within. “It kind of looks like our gem studs.”

“They share a similar nature,” Luna said as she lowered her hands, letting Sunset inspect the bracelet. “It is meant to draw out a very specific variety of magic. It is a powerful magic, but it carries with it great dangers. Currently, there are only three creatures who could hope to activate this bracelet. Of those three, there are only two who could hope to recover from its use without outside intervention. Those two are you and I, Sunset Shimmer.”

The bracelet felt heavier in Sunset’s fingers. She returned it to its wood case, closed the lid, and clasped it tightly in her hand. “Why are we the only two that can use this safely?”

“When a creature wields great magic, part of that power always remains behind. That is why you and your friends have had the power to save this world twice, even after Twilight’s crown was returned to Equestria.” Luna raised a hand to touch her chest, right above her heart. “The Elements of Harmony, and similar powers, leave behind a small wellspring of their strength in those who are worthy. Even after my betrayal, some of that magic my sister and I once wielded together still remains.”

Luna’s hand clenched, tightening into a fist around the fabric of her dress. “For you and I, however, other embers of magic linger: magic we wielded not for the benefit of others, but for our own selfish gains. It is a magic that, if reignited, would seek to consume us, body and soul, once more.

“Like water and fire, we two have wielded and been marked by two great extremes of magic. Now, you face entities of unknown strength and number. Should the day come that you must rely on your strength alone to save your friends, I ask that you remember this bracelet and these words.”

Luna unclenched her first and reached out her hand to place it on Sunset’s shoulder. “When faced with a wildfire, that seeks to burn all you care for, I pray you always have the water to douse it. But should the fire burn too hot, remember that there are other ways of fighting the blaze. That, once in a blue moon, you may need to—”

~~~

“—fight fire with fire.”

The words were like a match being dropped into an ocean of oil. The small flicker of magic The Master had sensed when the girl put on the bracelet exploded. Flames poured out of her skin, forming a swirling shell of black and iridescent-blue. The Master couldn’t help but squint his eyes and raise his free claw to protect his face from the searing heat pouring out from the girl. A silhouette formed in the fire, then a blur of red came racing at him. He felt a punch land against his side. His grip on the defective, pink-haired vampire slipped, and he tumbled as he was launched skyward.

The Master spread his wings, and after a few moments, managed to orient himself upright. He brought a claw to his side, feeling his cracked ribs as he glared down at the ground. The girl, the one Rarity called Sunset Shimmer, had changed. Her skin was now a hellish-red, and her eyes looked like two black pools with piercing-blue irises. Her stature was taller, and from her back, leathery wings had sprouted. In some ways, it was like the vampiric curse, but it took the mutations to an extreme where they bordered on grotesque.

She was no elegant vampire. The girl had become a demon.

Sunset had caught Fluttershy when he dropped her and was now carefully setting her on the ground. She was barely conscious. She lifted a hand, and Sunset grasped it a moment before setting it back down. The demon then turned her attention back to him, baring her rows of carnivorous teeth.

“Come then, little pony, and show me the depths of your darkness.” With a single flap of his wings, The Master went into a dive, his claws extended and ready to shred into Sunset. She countered with magic, placing her hands together before launching a column of iridescent fire at him. The Master banked to dodge, but felt his suit singeing from the heat of just being near. His scowl deepened, and his body began to distort more as he drew in close.

The Master brought back his claw and swung it forward just as the magic in his own body released from one of its previous seals. The arm grew during the swing, becoming two feet longer as skin and muscle ripped through the sleeve of his suit jacket. The blow connected, and Sunset was swatted like a dead bird being batted around by a cat. She bounced once against the ground, but then managed to flip herself around and land on her feet. Her shoes ripped apart from the friction, revealing three-toed claws. Those talons dug into the parking lot, leaving long scratches as Sunset managed to bring herself to a stop.

With his suit ripping apart piece by piece, The Master grew to his true form, a six-foot titan of a bat. His legs were short and stubby in proportion to the rest of his body, while his wings were long and grand. He still had his arms, which would have dragged on the ground if he didn’t keep them bent up near his chest, but his face lost all its carefully-crafted human features. His nose grew flat, and his jaw extended into a short muzzle.

Now at his full strength, The Master lunged forward, taking to his wings as he flew but a few inches off the ground. A bloodthirsty hiss escaped his throat, and he held his claws forward, ready to lash out and slice Sunset to ribbons the moment he was close enough. She attempted a few more fire spells, but a flick of his wing was enough to dodge them. This power was new to her. She was wielding it like a child who had found her father’s sword. The hint of a smirk flicked onto his muzzle. Perhaps he could still salvage this situation. Maybe if he bit her now, the curse would take.

One of his claws extended, ready to snatch Sunset off the ground and carry her skyward, where he could bite her neck in peace. She had seen the futility of her fire spells and was bracing herself. It would be a pointless effort. He felt his claw touch one of her wings, and reactively, his hand clamped down. He banked, turned skyward, and felt the tug on his arm. He was airborne, and he glanced back to admire his prize.

He had picked Sunset up, but the talons on her feet had dug into the asphalt. A big chunk of the parking lot had come up with her. Sunset glanced down herself, to see what was pulling on her legs, but she then looked back up at him with a predator’s smile. She bent her legs backward, then flung them forward as she relaxed the muscles in her feet.

The hunk of asphalt flew at him, striking his chest like a boulder from a catapult. Air was forced from his lungs, and the distinctive crack of ribs breaking reached his ears. His hand released Sunset as he began to fall, but The Master did not make it to the ground. He felt sharp claws dig into his stubby legs followed by a shift in his momentum.

Sunset had grabbed him and then proceed to throw him like a bag of flour. He hurtled through the air, crashing through the metal pole he had been standing on earlier and snapping it off at the base. He then continued tumbling, crashing into the trees neighboring the school. The first tree he hit splintered at the trunk. The second was pulled up by its roots. It was only the third tree The Master hit that was able to absorb the last of his momentum and remain standing.

The Master fell to the ground and heaved, his wings and limbs struggling to grasp something solid and pull himself off his back. His mouth felt wet, and a familiar flavor began to dance on his tongue. It had been a long time since he had tasted his own blood. His tongue explored his mouth, searching for any missing teeth, as one of his stubby legs managed to grasp a fallen tree. He pulled himself up, starting to get back into a standing position, when he felt a surge of heat against his chest.

Sunset had cast a fire spell, and this time, he was in no position to avoid it.

Skin charred under the inferno, and The Master’s body involuntarily convulsed. He tried to turn away, to protect his chest from the fire, but that only let the flames spread farther. His side and shoulder burned, then his wings came under attack. The sensitive, thin flaps of skin that granted him flight split and crumbled to nothing but ash. He hissed, barely managing to gasp before pain forced him to cry out in agony once more.

The fire spell finally disappeared, leaving his burnt skin to crack, revealing the boiled, oozing flesh beneath. He clawed at the dirt and rolled in the grass, trying to find some relief to the pain. What was left of his wings knocked down branches, and his claws left their marks in the trunk of the nearest tree. He flopped over on his back, lungs gasping for breath as the taste of blood in his mouth grew.

Then he saw her, floating above him with the moon to her back. The she-demon’s eyes glowed with murderous intent, and in the palm of her hand, she held the tormenting fire that had left him in such a sorry state. He choked down a few more ragged breaths, then smiled and lifted his claw. “Exemplary… pony…” He coughed and spat blood to his side before looking back at her and wiping his cheek. “Fine… you win. Call your princesses. I’ll return to my cage.”

The she-demon didn’t offer a word in reply. She just held up her hand a little higher, the swirling flame she grasped growing more intense.

The Master’s gaze flicked back and forth between her and the fire. “E-enough! You’ve made your point. Take me back to Tartarus. You’ve won, and without using your precious Elements of Harmony. You can cut the act. You ponies never really kill your enemies in Equestria. You just lock us away until we’ve reformed.”

“But this isn’t Equestria, is it?” Sunset bared her teeth, floating in closer to The Master. He began to feel the heat from the fire in her hand, and she held it close. Her claws gripped the flame like it was a bird or a gentle butterfly, but he could feel his skin burning just from being in close proximity to the fire. “This is a different world with different rules and different ways of dealing with monsters.”

“But you’re a pony.” He reached out his claws, trying to grip at something to pull himself away. “You may live here, but you were born a pony. You’ve got a pony’s blood. Ponies don’t kill. You’re colorful marshmallows with pictures on your butts. Ponies don’t kill. Ponies don’t kill!”

“Must be the she-demon in me.”

The fire spell in Sunset’s grip grew, and The Master screamed.

~~~

Sunset stared down at the ash beneath her feet, a low growl escaping her throat. He was dead, burned to nothing by her own fire. His curse would be broken, and her friends would go back to normal. At least, most of her friends. The Dracula entity was still out there. She flicked her gaze skyward. How easy would it be to find him now? How easy would it be to burn the whole city, just to end his life?

She had the power. Sunset could feel it coursing through her veins. She had the power to do anything. She could stop all this mess about chasing entities. She could just burn the city down, and once it was ash, close all the little portals. None of her friends would ever get hurt again if she did that. In fact, maybe The Master had a good idea. With wars and differing countries, Equestria and her friends would always be in danger. With her power, she could rule and keep them safe. She could rule the nation, and be just like Celestia. She could be better than Celestia, and when she had this world under her command, she could take its armies to Equestria and—

A hand touched Sunset’s shoulder. She turned sharply, bringing up her hand to smite whoever had dared to interrupt her chain of thoughts. It was Fluttershy, still ponied up and looking horrible. Sunset froze, the rolling thoughts of world domination dying away as the flame in her palm withered and fizzled. She was able to see now, in the quiet after the combat, just how badly The Master had tried to crush her friend. Fluttershy’s arms were mostly bruises, and there were some other marks visible around her shirt’s neckline.

The sight of Fluttershy brought a calm to her. The rage she had felt seeing her friend get hurt withered and was replaced with a gentler sensation. It was like a comforting blanket, and it reminded her of the day of the Friendship Games, the day she had wielded the magic of friendship in its true form to help save Twilight. She began to power down, her body returning to normal as she began to lean on Fluttershy for support.

“It’s… done.” Sunset took a few steps to get away from the cremated remains of The Master before slumping down into the soft grass. “It’s all done. The Master is gone.”

“What happened? Are you alright?”

Those words hit Sunset’s ears and made her turn and look at Fluttershy. She then couldn’t help but chuckle. She brought a hand to her head, brushing some of her hair out of her face as the giggles began to overcome her. Fluttershy was bruised and battered, perhaps more so than any of them, and yet Fluttershy was concerned about everyone else.

“I’m okay,” Sunset said with a nod. “I know you probably have a dozen questions, but it’s all okay. I promise I’ll tell you tomorrow, but right now, let’s keep what happened between us.”

“Hey!”

Sunset and Fluttershy turned their heads. Twilight was running across the parking lot towards them. Spike was a few steps behind, carrying Applejack over his shoulder. They reached the edge of the forest and climbed over the trees as Twilight fired off her usual barrage of questions. “We saw some bright lights, and then Applejack turned back to normal. What happened? Were you fighting The Master? Where are Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash? How did you beat him by yourselves?”

“Oh, it wasn’t hard,” Sunset said before pointing at Fluttershy with her thumb. “I hardly had to do anything. Fluttershy was a real champ. She basically took The Master down all by herself. I just burnt his body once it was over.”

“I did?” Fluttershy said, glancing around before finally settling her gaze on Twilight. “Uh, yeah. I did.”

“How?”

“I… punched him.” Fluttershy gingerly raised her fist. Twilight, in turn, squinted and leaned toward Fluttershy, as if getting closer might help her uncover what really happened. It was a sight that made Sunset struggle not to laugh out loud.

As Twilight launched a police-quality interrogation at Fluttershy, Sunset leaned back, laying down on the soft grass and looking up into the sky. The lights of the city dimmed the stars, but a few were poking through that night. She raised her hand to the sky, turning it over slowly. It was just a nice, normal human appendage. The nails were perhaps a little longer than they were that morning, but at least she wasn’t sporting a proper claw at the end of her arm.

Her eyes drifted to the bracelet. Using her other hand, Sunset took it off and turned it over in her fingers. She lowered her hand, keeping a tight grasp on it. She’d have to see if the wooden case survived the fight. Hopefully, it had fared better than some of her other possessions. Her shoes were toast, and it was possible her favorite jacket was too. She was, in fact, probably lucky her jeans and shirt had been spared by the nature of the transformation magic. Still, Sunset felt a gentle smile on her lips as she looked up at the sky, her eyes lingering on the crescent moon.

Sunset silently mouthed the words “Thank you” to that moon, even if her gratitude was meant for the moon of another world and the princess that guided it across the sky.

Author's Note:

This chapter definitely strikes a wide spectrum of moods between the two fights, but hopefully its enjoyable for the contrast. Not much left after this, so thank you for reading this far. Head onto the final chapter, and as usual, please report typos via PM. I really do appreciate you taking the time.