• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 1,689 Views, 933 Comments

Ponyfinder: Roots of Stone - David Silver



Tree Hugger comes to help the Pies with a tree that sprouted on their rock farm. It's in the way! Her attempt to move it peacefully propels herself and Maud Pie into the Ponyfinder world of Everglow, where they will have to learn to fight together.

  • ...
6
 933
 1,689

PreviousChapters Next
32 - Court of Law

They awoke the next morning to knocking on their door. Tree let out a mumbling noise, still not ready to greet the world. More easily roused, Maud hopped from her bed and trotted to the door. Behind it, a well-dressed human in severe attire held out a letter towards her. "Your presence is requested."

Maud tilted her head before she accepted the letter and closed the door without a word to the messenger.

"Who was it?" Fast slipped to her hooves. "It feels early in the morning." A brushing aside of the leather covering of their window revealed the sun to still be low in the sky. "Ah well, already awake now."

Maud flipped the letter open and set it on the ground where she could more easily browse it. "They want all witnesses to the killing to be at this address by ten."

Fast frowned. "What? They're having a trial? Now? Here?"

Paul stopped feigning sleep rather abruptly. "There's still a chance then! We can save 'im!" He half-fell from the bed, scrambling to get his clothes on. "We haveta go and break 'im out."

"We'll do nothing of the sort." Fast frowned at Paul. "Maybe if Under Score or some other arcane master were here, I could consider such a reckless thing, but need I remind we have no escape route from a city of wizards? Don't be in such a rush to make his action be for nothing and get us all killed."

Maud tapped the letter. "We can tell the truth."

Rolling up to her feet, Tree yawned as Bright landed on her head. "Good morning. What's the good word?"

Paul gestured at the letter on the ground. "Flint's bein' put on trial and we're invited."

Her eyes widened, losing the sleep in them for a moment. "Woah, seriously? We'd better get ready then." She slid to the ground. "Breakfast, a bath..."

Paul threw up his hands. "Why are you all bein' so calm about this? This is Flint's only chance."

Fast prodded him in the gut. "Keeping our heads on straight, noses clean, and attitudes right is the only way we can help him. We may be the only character witnesses he has." She turned away. "By the law of the land, Flint's guilty. He's guilty in every way. The owning of ponies, as slaves, isn't even illegal in most of the human lands. The lord did nothing wrong, by law." She looked to Paul. "It's an uphill battle, at best. Let's at least approach it looking like civilized people."

Paul trembled before he let out a forced breath. "Right... fine... Why don't you sell that stuff so we can hurry over there dressed proper?"

"Now that's an idea." Fast nodded at him. "I'll be back. Bathe, eat. We have to move quickly." She trotted from the room with her saddlebags and slip on. Unlike some other ponies, a touch of modesty suited her just fine.

"Dibs on the tub." Tree slipped into the bin with a smile and began the water, only to hear a thump behind her. Maud quietly settled behind her, just sitting there, undressed. "Sister?"

"We have to go quickly."

Tree nodded slowly. She undid her bandanna and set it outside the tub as it slowly filled with warm water. Paul seemed impressed. "That hot water out of there? I didn't know this place was so fancy."

Tree and Maud looked at him together. Tree shook her head. "You're not used to warm water?"

"Not water I ain't heated meself for th' occasion. Ah heard of it sure, but we live in a damn hut. No hot water there, or the well."

Tree let out a slow sigh as the water filled the tub and her tension began to go with the warmth. "Mmm, well, you'll get it next, Paul. Enjoy it. It's nice." When the water filled to around their necks, she turned off the stream, and reached around until Paul handed her the soap. "Ah, thanks dude. Do they have any shampoo?" Paul looked confused. "Nevermind, man." She went stiff as she felt a hoof rubbing over her back.

"My sisters and I would help each other clean all the time," said Maud in her even way. "You keep calling me sister."

Tree forced a smile, seeing it for what it was. One part affection, one part revenge. She let her head sink a little and tried to enjoy the company. Reaching her back would be hard without a brush... "Thanks..."

Eventually they were all cleaned, and emerged from their room smelling and feeling fresher. They sat around a table just as Fast entered. "Ah, just getting here?" She settled in with them. "Good timing. Selling wasn't difficult, but I was a little off on my estimate. Still quite valuable, just not as valuable. We have enough to get supplied and moving."

Paul raised a finger. "After we get dressed all fancy like and show up ta protect Flint."

"Right, after that." She clopped the table. "Hey, a round of breakfast over here, three vegetarian, one meat lover."

The bartender grunted as he got to work as a waitress swung by with some drinks for them.

Tree sipped from her mug with an appraising look before she nodded. "Alright, what can we do besides be honest?"

Fast tapped at the table again. "We can emphasize what good he's done. Paul, how was he regarded around the community?"

"Oh, he was a good sort. He'd run off wild animals what's causin' someone trouble, or hunt down escaped varmints 'fore they got killed in the forest. Ain't nobody mind his meat when he made a good catch. 'is boar was always a highlight of the week." Paul smiled as he went on about his friend's achievements. "A good soul, you know that."

Tree nodded at him. "Flint's aura is bright, but tainted. Sister promised him safety."

Paul frowned. "He didn't know none of that."

Fast clopped the table. "That's important. Can you swear on that? Are you certain of that?"

Paul shrank from her intensity. "I-I, yeah! 'course I can. We just got outside when Maud was throwin' 'im up against the roof. He lined up the shot and, uh, ya know."

Maud took a slow breath. "Then he didn't know I promised he'd be safe until afterwards. That's a little better."

Fast sighed. "I'll take what I can get. Convincing them he isn't a coldblooded murderer is a step in the right direction."

"He did it for us," hissed Paul. "Like he said, the lord woulda chased us if he coulda."

"Be that as it may..." Fast chewed idly at her food one it was set before her. "Chasing criminals does not give leave to kill an agent of the law. Eat, we'll get dressed on the way. I saw a tailor. We're running behind, and being late is not an option." She frowned. "Guilty or innocent, he's a member of this party, and we'll help him how we can."

"Too right..." Paul went quiet along with the rest of the table. The food's taste wasn't as enjoyed as it could be, shoveled into empty bellies before they hurried to the tailor, and left it in respectable clothing in time to sprint to the courthouse that had been specified in the letter.

Fast strode up the marble steps of the stately building. "If they're holding it here, they want to appear as impartial as possible. There's no other reason to hold the trial of the killer of your father in another sovereignty's court. If she was simply out for blood, she could walk him out of the city and have his head off by now, and she wouldn't be challenged. That's our only ray of hope. The wizards of this city play by their own moralities."

Maud looked around slowly at those loitering around. "They look like humans."

Fast nodded more subtly. "That doesn't mean much."

"Some of their auras are out of this world." Tree tilted her head slowly before shaking herself out. "We should be careful."

Paul rung his hands nervously. "We gotta argue with witches?"

"Wizards," corrected a tall man at the top of the stairs. "Witches rarely manage such esteemed positions. We have had a few sorcerers, and that one alchemist... Regardless! Welcome, witnesses. You're expected." He gestured inside as he turned towards the building. "Follow me. The session is to begin shortly. You're prompt. The judge likes that."

Fast hurried to be just behind the new human. "A pleasure to be here. This is a fine building. I don't think I've seen the like for a court before?"

"It was fashioned at great expense." The man nodded slowly. "You'll notice the columns have words of law from every major race of the world." A quick glance didn't show any pony writing, to Fast's annoyance, but she nodded politely. "Justice will be done here. Ah, an important note, but witnesses are protected. Even if you must speak out against the defendant or prosecution, do so freely and honestly. Even your identities will be shrouded."

Paul frowned at the words. "How can they know what we're sayin' if they can't see us?"

"How charming..." The man opened a door leading down a short hallway. "They'll see you, but not your faces, or be able to easily determine your build or height, making identifying you again quite problematic."

Fast snorted. "They'll know ponies are speaking."

"Not much to be done about that, I'm afraid. Do you wish to give up the right to testify?"

Maud shook her head. "We'll tell the truth."

"That's the attitude to have." He opened a door that led into a low balcony. "I can't follow you past here. Speak the truth and nothing but, and there's nothing to fear."

They filtered into the balcony. When the door closed, there was barely a hint that there was a door there to begin with. They could see out over many comfortable looking chairs with people perched in them, looking out to the main event, which had two areas, one with a sword statue, and another with a great shield. Beyond them a chair elevated above both with a huge scales set behind that.

Flint was seated, looking nervous, in the shielded area, the defendant. Elizabeth was seated with head held high in the sword portion, as the attacker or prosecutor. Whoever would serve as judge had not yet arrived.

"All rise for the honorable Toril, master of divination and discerner of the truth!" There was no obvious source of the announcement, but all the people stood up. Fast and the others found a seat and stood beside it. With a wash of arcane power, a figure appeared, already seated in the chair allotted for him.

He was portly, and smiling, and wore a billowing robe and many jewels from his neck and at his fingers. "Good morning everyone. Do be seated." The court settled back into their chairs, the sound of them muffled by magic the city of wizards didn't skimp on. "Today we have an interesting case, for a crime not committed within our borders. As a measure of good will, the County of Stormbringer brings its charges of assassination against their former Lord against one Flint." He gestured at Flint as light shone down on him. "We have a spoken confession, but there can be irregularities with those. We will hear the whole of the truth before judgement is rendered. Acting as prosecutor, Elizabeth Stormbringer, acting Lady of Stormbringer County." He gestured towards her, a new light shining down on her.

"Let justice be done."

Author's Note:

Things are looking up! Maybe?

Let me check my notes...

PreviousChapters Next