• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 13,298 Views, 252 Comments

Creeping Darkness - Pen Stroke



Alan Wake must write a story where Twilight faces the Darkness of his world to save Equestria

  • ...
19
 252
 13,298

Epilogue: Writer's Realization

Journal Entry #70

Somehow... I managed to do it. I wrote a happy ending to Creeping Darkness... though it wouldn’t have been nearly as happy if Nightmare Moon hadn’t been willing to sacrifice what she had. I’m just thankful that taking most of her memories and experiences, changing her back into the innocent foal Twilight met in the darkness, was payment enough to balance the scales.

And, if anything, this strange experience has given me hope and inspiration.

The hope comes from the fact that I was able to write a story with a happy ending, something I didn’t entirely believed was possible when you’re trapped in the Dark Place. It took a great cost, a fallen princess giving up a thousand years worth of knowledge, experience, power, and memories... but it was possible to write a happy ending. It gives me hope that my own story, “Return”, can also end happily as well... with Alice in my arms.

Twilight and her friends also reminded me of the power of friendship. As I write this it sounds silly or childish, and friendship doesn’t have the same mystical power in my world as it does in Equestria. Still... friends are the ones that can help you through the tough times. Can help you find your way back, guide you through the dark.

I think this is why I’ve had trouble writing “Return”. I’ve been focusing on writing myself out of the darkness, of finding my own way back to Alice... but I don’t have to go it alone. I don’t have to bring myself completely out of the dark. I just need to get myself halfway. Then, I can have Alice and Barry meet me there. They can help pull me back, bring me back, save me from the Dark Place.

As I sit here and write this, I can’t help but think of Twilight Sparkle. I know I was the one that wrote those last lines into the story, her final words to me but... at the same time I can’t deny it felt it was more like she was really the one saying it.. and I was just the one writing it down.

I wish I could see them just one more time... to tell them thank you. Those ponies... they may have shown me the way home... shown me the way out of the dark.

My name is Alan Wake; I’m a writer. And I may just owe my own happy ending to six colorful ponies from a magical land called Equestria.

=====================================================================
The End

Author's Note:

Comments ( 119 )

NICE!!!:pinkiehappy:
A fic that's complete upon being put up!:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Finally, the story that got me playing an amazing game is here! Thank you Pen Stroke!
I have an idea about a sequel: Mr. Scratch in Equestria.

An Alan Wake crossover? I for one loved that game, and look forward to reading this.

If you've never played the game (directed at person who might read this comment) i'd recommend playing it. It's quite fun and has a great story.

The story that got me into this amazing part of the fandom :pinkiehappy: :scootangel:

about time only 1 left

WHY DOES THIS HAVE DISLIKES?

WHYYYYYYYYYYY?

Ohai story that I loved.

Good to see this one here! I read it right after playing "Alan Wake", I and I have to say I was impressed by how well you preserved the atmosphere of the game in this.

YES, THE FIRST REAL FANFIC I EVER READ IN THIS FANDOM.

I still think this is the best one XD

686463
Just like all of his fics.
On FiMfiction at least

This is in my top five favorites. Number three, topped by Past Sins at number one, and Through the Eyes of Another Pony at number two.

This was the story that fully introduced me to MLP:FIM and how awesome it is, and Alan Wake too. :pinkiehappy: Glad to finally see it on here.

Next will be Past Sins....i hope

This story made me want to play Alan Wake, but computer doesn't like the game :applecry:

Nice! I remember reading this on EqD! :pinkiegasp:

*GASP* :pinkiegasp:

Fav'd

This is getting featured if not already done so.....

It's been one whole, solid year since this was released?

OH GOD!

I FEEL SO OLD!

SO OOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

3.bp.blogspot.com/-F0cnDJqz2ek/TtNzP-NmEwI/AAAAAAAAAsI/662d6kfmt6M/s1600/005.png

Yea, now I can read this over again.

OMG this fic... :derpyderp1: I just finished American Nightmare, and I remember reading this right after beating Alan Wake last summer... So good... and it makes me feel old! I hope gems like this start popping up more often like they did last summer.

May I now call you "God of the Pen"?

687267
I already do.

687300 LET HIM BE THE SAVIOR OF A NEW RELIGIOUS BRANCH OF PONYDOM! FROM THIS DAY FORWARD, WE SHALL WORSHIP PENNISM. THE RELIGION OF PEN STROKE, GOD OF THE PEN!

687332
Are you aware that you're awesome? Cause you are.

687411 Thank you, but clearly I am not as awesome as you are. Can you not see that? :rainbowderp:

687435
*bows deeply* thank you. I try.

and thus, we creep ever closer to Past Sins...

This story has been live for almost five hours now. WHY hasn't it hit the Feature box yet? :rainbowhuh:

and with that, one step closer to the past sins. Alan wake; the america nightmare has came to the store. I missed the scary woods in Alan Wake.
"Alan, wake up!" Alice
That comment was mind blowing.

Yes! It's here! This is one of my favorite fics! :pinkiehappy:

Oh, and I just have to add that you did an amazing job of mixing the two universes!

Yes!

BUT...could this mean...the next one...is...

PAST SINS!?:pinkiegasp:
(PLEASE):scootangel:

690731

I think he will post just the season 2 version of "past sins"

Ill read this when i have the time :yay:

687864 I have absolutely NO idea...

And now I understand what this is a crossover of. Forget my previous commentary.


691115 The difference being the plot changes required by the infusion of new canon I presume?

698408
Just to clear up your apparent misconception: This story is unrelated to Past Sins. The IDEA for Nyx came from here, but the Nix from Past Sins is a completely different character.

Everything in this was absolutely perfect. The plot flowed perfectly as if it was an actual sequel to the game. It also preserved the feel and story of the game without being just a pure pony insert. Whenever I came to a journal entry I was amazed by how well you wrote Wake. The story was beautiful, the characterization flawless, and the imagery vivid. This is how every crossover should be done.

Well... Wow. I don't really know what to say here, but if you took the time to write this magnificent story then I can take 3 minutes to write out some praise for you. This story was absolutely amazing. I'd never even heard of Alan Wake, yet after reading this I feel like I know the character quite well. You also seem to have a way grabbing me by the emotions and dragging me into the story. The entire ending sequence left me with a mixture of shock, sadness, and happy tears. I'm glad that this had a happy ending.
Honestly, the fact that this didn't degenerate into a nasty grimdark makes me incredibly happy as well. The horror in this story was built from pure emotional connection with the characters, rather than a sense of "Dear sweet Celestia! He's got an axe!"
I know favorites don't mean much on this site due to their making it easiest to track something, but rest assured that when I click that little star I am being completely truthful. I have a new favorite amongst favorites... Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find out more about this Alan fellow.

An amazing piece of writing! I'd never heard of the Alan Wake game before, but you're correct in saying that no such prior knowledge is necessary to enjoy this story. You did a great job setting the atmosphere; I could really feel the dark and foreboding setting, and I literally couldn't look away until the characters had gotten somewhere (relatively) safe.

Great job again! Truly one of my favorites.

698397 No, not a prequel; a different story. Both Past Sins and Creeping Darkness have Nyx in them, but their canon would contradict one another. In Past Sins Nyx was created from an incomplete spell, but in Creeping Darkness Nyx is Nightmare Moon's innocence and childishness personified. The idea of Nyx was created in Creeping Darkness, but Past Sins explored more the concept of Nyx.

699138 You misspelled Nyx.... for shame.

738604
Fixed. To be fair, I was probably half asleep at the time. The other half was most likely undead. X_x;

750175 Ah, roman candles... but those have such short run-times... ah well. point taken.

698166
It's actually a call back to the game. Shooting at fireworks, or specifically crates of fireworks I guess, caused them to catch fire. Any Taken in the direct vicinity when the fireworks started going off got blown away, and others in the distance got pushed back.

They don't have to produce a of consistent light, just that one big burst fireworks are famous for.

Don't care what anyone says this right here is your best work followed closely by your portal crossover. When I first got into the fandom and started to read some of the 6 star stories on Equestria Daily this was I do believe the 3rd fic I ever read and my god is it still as awesome as when I first read it. This is why crossover Fics are the hardest and best IMO because of the simple fact that trying to tie together two completely different types of work (game and tv show) that are on totally different ends of genres (survival horror and children's show). But my god when it works it works epiclly.

686698
falling brass- really? You read a crossover fic without knowing the stories?:pinkiegasp:

... wow, just wow.

I can see why you are such a praised writer now, I've heard great things about all of your stories but just like about 80 other stories I have them all on the read-it-later list.

Except this one, this one caught my attention; the first day that Alan Wake came out I spent 16 hours straight powering through the game on the hardest difficulty and found myself looking everywhere for any of the lost pages, the entire story in itself had me captivated and on the edge of my seat till the ending

That being said I was honestly reluctant about reading this, generally when one reads/sees/plays through an amazing story they aren't very excited to read something that was made by someone who had nothing to do with the original. But I am very glad that I took the plunge and read this amazing story, I will be honest, I found a few grammar errors here and there, but I only noticed them when I misinterpreted a sentence and had to re-read it to understand.

This story enthralled me from chapter 1, sucking me into the story that kept me on edge until the very last moment, just like a proper horror story, which in a twist of fate left everything better off than when it started.

Lastly, I just have to say that I will be reading the rest of your stories now, and that you deserve the praise you get!

My god.
This was incredible.
I have no more words.

Login or register to comment