• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 540 Views, 11 Comments

Little Ember - Heresy Incarnate



Little Ember wants to fit in with her Dragon family more than anything else. She finds a solution to her inability to fly, but her decision has some unexpected consequences.

  • ...
2
 11
 540

Anticipation

Well masked fear, uncertainty for what is coming, anticipation

-----------------------------------------------

The carriage pulled into “Canterlot” as the sun was beginning to set, I had done little talking with my escort, merely looking ahead and to what was coming. I noticed that Canterlot was a collection of pony structures, centered around a large stone palace. The Lunar Princess closed her eyes for a moment, and then the stars and moon began to populate the sky. “I am afraid I won’t have long before I get to work, but I can present you to my sister. She has prepared a small feast for you.” I simply nodded, I remembered Mother and how she only rose her voice to solve disputes or give advice… or defend me I suppose. Not that I thought I needed it, I was only getting better at taking care of myself as time went on.

Disembarking, we strode right into the palace, the decor was like something out of a dream, marble and gold filagree, a single one of the columns supporting the ceiling would make a horde for life, I was sure they also must have held riches in knowledge and actual gold as well, I was in awe, I had never seen Mothers horde, but I imagined it must have been at least as opulent as this. I had an important job ahead of me watching over it, but I didn’t see why spending time with ponies would help me with that.

The Lunar Sister guided me down a series of passages and I took note of the turns we took so I could make my way around in my own time… presuming they didn’t hold me like a prisoner. There were ponies in armor all around, the majority in Gold, the only ones wearing the purple I saw were the three that had started following us. We came to a door that opened up to a long banquet table, the table appeared on first glance to be loaded with food, and on one end sat an alicorn even larger than The Lunar Sister, her mane looked like the aurora, and her pelt was a pure shining white, she spoke with a voice dripping with honey and confidence, and I could just feel the power radiating off of her. “Ah, welcome, please, take a seat next to me. This table is sadly much too long, but I do not want to be distant for our first conversation.”

I nodded and walked up to chair directly to her left, hesitantly asking a question that I believed I knew the answer to. “Excuse me… but would I be right to assume you are The Solar Sister?”

Her eyes widened and she released a small chuckle. “Well, I haven’t been called that in years, I take it you were raised by Matriarch Fafnira?” I took in a quick gasp of air, names were typically reserved for family, strangers and even friends were referred to be titles. The Solar Sister continued. “If it would not be uncomfortable for you I would ask that you call me Celestia, but I understand if you feel it would be improper.”

I nodded in ascent. “Your sister asked for much the same… I understand now that I know you have been trusted with Mother’s name… but I would still feel much more comfortable referring to you by title.”

She nodded and in that small gesture she managed to convey both understanding of my opinion, and an inoffensive hope that I would at some point change my mind. “We can talk business later, you are to learn to be a leader in Equestrian society, a princess if you will, but for now, we should eat.

I looked at the table, the selection was truly magnificent, cakes and sweets alongside many fresh fruits and vegetables, everything from lettuce and kale to strawberries and cheesecake. I noticed The Solar Sister seemed to be only doling out various kinds of cake to her plate. I looked around confused, it seemed that something was missing. “Uhm… excuse me Solar Sister?”

She looked up from her plate, 3 layers of cake already upon it like she had been caught doing something wrong. “Yes… Daughter of The Dragonspeak Matriarch?”

I appreciated that she had used a title instead of my name, I did not personally have her as family or even know her that well, so I remembered the respect. “Where is the meat?”

There was a moment of silence and the wait staff all stopped what they were doing to stare at me as The Solar Sister blinked. She then made a small smile. “Of course, my apologies, it is not often we get a meat eater in the palace and if I don’t specifically request it of the kitchen the general assumption is a herbivorous meal. Since the wait staff heard your request I’m sure they’ll accomodate now.” She set down her utensils from her magic and the staff returned to their business before I asked about the food. She spoke again. “While we wait for that, why don’t you tell me the story of how you got that cutie mark of yours?”

I simply raised an eyebrow at her. “Excuse me?”

She chuckled again. “Ah, the mark that appeared on your flank.”

She gestured to her own, a large sun, and then at mine, a flaming oval ruby. I screwed up my face and tried to remember. “I was… it was shortly after Mother picked me up. The first Great Meet after then I believe… some of the other Dragons, they were accusing Mother of going soft for saving me, saying that I wasn’t a Dragon and didn’t deserve to be there.”

I paused to gather my thoughts, and The Solar Sister quietly interjected. “I’m sorry… I didn’t realize the story was like that.”

I shook my head to dismiss the notion. “Not at all, I haven’t gotten to the important part of it yet, little me, not really understanding that these were my elders, he he… I jumped out from behind Mother and roared at them.” I was beginning to laugh at the memory of how stupid I was. “I stood my ground and just roared at them! They were surprised by my ferocity and decided that I could fit in, Mother was so proud of me. Later I noticed I had this silly mark on my haunches, but I really don’t think too much of it. I belong, that’s what’s important.” A happy tear rolled down my cheek, and The Solar Sister just smiled at me. The food was beginning to arrive, it smelled delicious and reminded me of when Mother hunted and brought home whole flame-cooked deer.