• Published 30th May 2012
  • 3,706 Views, 56 Comments

From the Ashes - Benjamin Lawe



A shadow falls over Canterlot as old wounds are opened, and a tradgedy best left buried re-emerges.

  • ...
9
 56
 3,706

Chapter 17: A Change of Scenery

From the Ashes

Chapter 17: A Change of Scenery

Cuts, bruises and bandages concealed under a fresh set of armour, Caliber stared skyward, his mind lost in deep thought. For once, he was not cooped up in the royal palace, which was a nice change. As it usually did, gazing out off the edge of Canterlot and across the vast landscape below made him want to stretch his wings and fly, but unfortunately, that hope was grounded, owing to the cast and wrappings holding his injured wing to his side.

Eventually, he broke from his trance and finally paid heed to his surroundings. There was grass below his hooves, but it wasn’t the usual kind. He was still in Canterlot, waiting in a large, artificial garden park in the furthest end of the city’s bottom tier, virtually on the cliff’s edge. And he wasn’t alone. Rows upon rows of other guards cluttered the normally open clearing, most facing forward and sticking to a loose formation. Others, he noticed, occasionally ventured a cautious glance his way. These guards were the ones who had come from the deep sea, and had likely only just been brought up to speed on the latest events.

Thus, with rumours at a high, and his injuries obvious even underneath a brand new set of armour, Caliber had to wonder what kind of stories they had heard to make them stare as they did. But he didn’t mind all that much. They had all been gathered here for a reason, and getting the real story was a part of that. Even so, while he had recounted the truth of recent events enough times by now to know every detail off by heart, this time the job of briefing his fellow guards did not fall to him. But as each and every one of the armoured ponies before him were royal guards, the task of briefing them did indeed require the authority of a royal guard captain.


The assembled guards suddenly hushed and straightened as somepony took stance at the tip of their formation. They knew him all too well, which was natural. They had been at his command for as long as they had been deployed in the deep sea.

“It’s good to be back.” Shining Armor began, his voice carrying over the din effortlessly, “It feels like such a long time since we’ve been home, but I don’t think I need to tell you that it doesn’t feel as welcoming as we might remember.”

As he implied, this did appear to be a shared feeling. Caliber, still separate from the rows of guards, wandered closer as a small chatter developed in their ranks in response to what Shining Armor had said.


“I’ll be honest, the situation isn’t good.” he continued, his commanding tone not dropping despite what he was saying, “We were sent away, to deal with another country’s problems, all the while, our home was suddenly and unexpectedly thrown into turmoil.

“But things are the way they are.” he continued, his head dropping slightly, “The princess... our princess, has been stolen, and Canterlot and its people have been dealt a savage blow. We are here now, but we find the world as we know it teetering on the verge of collapse.

“We owe much to the heroics of the few who took up our duty, and I intend to see that debt paid.” his head and tone lifted as one, “Our mission is to infiltrate Meetlemarsh, liberate the town, and if possible, hold those responsible for its troubles to account.”

Shining Armor continued to speak, going more into the specifics of their mission and their strategies, but as the assembled crowd continued to hang on his words, one pony among them scanned left and right nervously, the voice of the captain fading to hash in her ears...

“Now, whos idea was this?” Rarity stammered, fancying herself a polar opposite to the armoured guards all around her, “Honestly. I shouldn’t be here...”

“Um, wasn’t it your idea?” Fluttershy mumbled, although she was of a similar mind to her friend, “I mean, you did say... back at the palace-”

“I said I wanted to help.” Rarity cut the pegasus off, “I certainly didn’t mean I intended to participate in, in... well, whatever this is.

“Why are we even here?” she continued with a hopeless sigh, “What can we possibly do? It doesn’t make any sense...”

“It should be obvious why the princess picked you three.” Caliber spoke up from her left, intruding on their whisperings, “Everypony else here, including the captain, have been away for this entire incident. What they know about Terra, the three heroes, and everything else that has become relevant these past few days, is very limited.

“You may not like it, heck, I was against it myself... but it really can’t be helped.” he continued, shaking his head, “If we want any chance to save that town and get on the offensive for a change, then we need to move as soon as possible. And like it or not, me, the princess, you, and your friends are the only ones with any real knowledge.”

“Fine... I understand.” Rarity sighed tiredly, “And since we’re the only ones available...”

“That’s right.” Caliber nodded, but then turned to something a little ways behind him, “No matter how much we kick and scream... or cry... this is the way it is.”

Fluttershy was the first to follow his gaze. As Caliber had said earlier, the princess had picked three to tag along and fill the information role, and with all the others spread over Equestria, and himself excluded, there was only one other candidate.


Waah! I don’t wanna...” Pastel Pride sobbed, her tears flowing like torrents as she cried miserably into her own hooves, collapsed pitifully on the ground like some filly in a tantrum, “And just when things were looking up for me... I’m too young to die!

Truly, for a mare so named, ‘pride’ seemed to be one of her non-concerns. Among the guards doing their best to look forward and avert the shameful display, only one of their rank knelt down, patting the earth pony with an armoured hoof.

“Give it up Pastel.” Spellbound poked her old friend in the side playfully as she refused to get up, “You can make a scene as much as you like, it’s not going to change a thing...”

Suddenly, the earth pony lunged off the ground and at her friend, wrapping her front hooves desperately around the unicorn’s waist and resting her head on the gold of her armour. As if her life depended upon it, her watery eyes looked up, pleading wordlessly...

“Come on Spellie!” Pastel whimpered, “You gotta help me out here! You’re the acting captain aren’t you? Please... can’t you make it so I can go home now? I’m a liability! I’ll crack under pressure! I’ve got the I-can’t-liberate-Meetlemarsh-and-stop-evil-schemes disease!”

With a thin smile and another couple of reassuring pats on the head, Spellbound hefted her friend off of her chest, forcing her into a slumped sitting position.

“Sorry.” she smiled again, “Even if I wanted to, I’m not the acting captain anymore. Caliber may not be fit enough to get back in command, but we’ve got Shining Armor now. I never even made lieutenant, remember? I’m just a normal royal guard again.”

In the distance, Caliber watched with distinct irritation as the comically distraught earth pony begun to swing back into tantrum mode as her attempts at escape were rejected again.

Urgh... that pony.” he shook his head in frustration, “This is your area isn’t it Fluttershy? Can’t you, I don’t know... do something about her? Maybe?”

“I’ll... I can go and talk to her, if you want.” the pegasus replied, her kinder eyes more sensitive to Pastel’s plight than the unamused Caliber, “We’re all nervous. Maybe she just needs to talk to somepony?”

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s it.” Caliber’s tone was dry and sarcastic, watching neutrally as the pegasus hovered off to the mare’s aid, “You’re the expert I guess.”

His eyes shifted back to Pastel as the Fluttershy joined the scene. He only really knew of the earth pony by way of their shared relationship with Spellbound, and while that had led them to meet once or twice, what little he knew of her was by association. Regardless, he had not developed much patience for her antics. Fear, nervousness, intimidation... these were all things he could understand, possibly even relate to. But melodrama? If she was unable to take such a serious matter seriously, then perhaps she really shouldn’t be here after all.

But as Spellbound had continuously been trying to tell her, it was unavoidable. Ever since the simple librarian had been intertwined with the princesses, all her time and effort had been directed towards becoming an expert on Terra, the three heroes, and the prophecy. So, while having Caliber, Rarity and Fluttershy come along would be useful, Pastel Pride’s inclusion was absolutely essential. At least that was how Luna saw it. As for Caliber...

“Excuse me captain.” Rarity said suddenly, tearing the pegasus away from his thoughts, “A question, if I may?”

Breaking away from his stare, he dispelled his thoughts and once again faced the unicorn. “Sorry, I was somewhere else.” he apologized with a reflexive smile, knowing she had remained silent from quite a while now, “What’s up?”

“If it’s as you say, and we are here to provide our knowledge and experiences, then why wouldn’t you be the leader?” Rarity asked, not beating around the bush, “Not to discredit Twilight’s brother of course, I just think it’s a little odd he’s taking charge when he doesn’t have as good of an idea of the situation as you do.”

“I thought you might ask that.” Caliber nodded, acknowledging the thoughtful question, “And while things must seem pretty complicated from where you’re standing, the reason is really quite simple.

“Procedure.” the pegasus continued, also not keen on beating around the bush, “The main body of guards we have access to are used to Shining Armor as their leader. Also, I’m not fit for duty. Under normal circumstances, my authority would be suspended until I am judged to be of a fit state.”

“You’re here, are you not?” Rarity questioned, what he had said not sitting right with her, “And, well... I don’t mean to understate what you’ve been through as of late, but to me you seem to be getting along okay.”

“If I didn’t think I was in a condition to come along to Meetlemarsh, I would not be here.” he answered, somewhat vaguely, “I’m not so stupid or prideful to ignore my limits. This is something I can handle.”

“Then, that just makes it even more confusing.” Rarity cocked her head, trying to work her way around it, “If you’re fine, then why is Shining Armor taking your place?”

“Well, the reason I gave earlier still stands, but... ‘fit state’ refers to more than just physical integrity.” Caliber explained, his words decidedly neutral, “And as it stands, it’s a popular theory that I’m not where I need to be mentally to lead this many ponies.”

“Oh my...” Rarity was surprised, “And you’re okay with that?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say that...” he replied awkwardly, not expecting that kind of question, “Let’s just say I understand, and leave it at that.”

“Well, I don’t understand.” Rarity kept up with her inquiry despite Caliber’s aversion, “You seem fine. Well, perhaps ‘normal’ is better way to put it. But what do you think? Is it fair for them to think you can’t do your job properly?

“Come to think of it, who is ‘them’ anyway?” she continued, her questions flowing into one another, “Was it Luna who decided to put Twilight’s brother in charge?”

“Come on... that’s too many questions at once.” Caliber sighed, overwhelmed by the unicorn’s assault, “It was Luna’s decision, ultimately, but she ran it by me first. And with what we aim to achieve with this latest move, she decided that objectivity would be an asset, and that I would not be able to provide it.”

“Well, I can’t say I agree with that.” Rarity pursed her lips as she tried to make sense of it all, “The merits of objectivity aside, wouldn’t the intimacy of your knowledge be the greater asset?

“If I’m not mistaken, it was for that very reason Fluttershy, myself, and that poor Pastel Pride person were made to come along.” she continued, obviously not satisfied with the reasoning, “It seems to me that the princess does indeed value the very thing you would have to offer as leader.”

Caliber, for a moment, was silent. “You know, I might have to keep my eye on you.” he said with a chuckle, genuinely surprised by the unicorn’s hidden intelligence, “But you’re missing one little thing, and now that I think about it, I guess I didn’t explain it properly.

“Earlier, I said that I was unfit for duty, and that under normal circumstances my authority as captain would be suspended.” he repeated what he had said before, “The key word there is ‘circumstances’. Forget leading the expedition, if circumstances were normal, I wouldn’t even be allowed to be here.”

“That is what I don’t understand.” Rarity replied, “How is that decided? Does the princess have the say?”

Caliber chuckled again. “Under normal circumstances.” he repeated with a smile, “Yes, the princess decides. This time, she decided to ignore procedure and keep me on as captain of the royal guard.”

This time?” Rarity questioned, “You say that as if-”

“It’s happened before?” the pegasus finished her sentence, “It has. Not long ago in fact. After your friend Marco had his little episode, things between Celestia and I got a little heated.”

“I didn’t know about this...” Rarity was stunned, not even able to imagine it, “What happened?”

“Well, I’m happy enough to let bygones be bygones, but that whole incident got to me.” he elaborated, his tone dropping slightly, “Butting heads with that guy affected me in more ways than one. Sure, it landed me in the hospital, but the chaos he brought with him that night was infectious. I’m not ashamed to say I slipped mentally, and made it obvious to Celestia that I needed time.

“That’s the kind of thing they are worried about now.” Caliber continued, returning to his main point, “Physically, there is no question that I’m in a bad way. But this time, I’m not shaken... my mind is where it needs to be. However, as long as there’s any doubt, Shining Armor takes the stage.”

“I see.” Rarity replied rather tentatively, slowly letting it all slot into place, “I never knew that what happened that night had such repercussions for you.”

“I still haven’t decided if I should be thankful that things unfolded the way they did.” Caliber said distantly, “The potential for things to have gone wrong was so high... and look at where we are now. I really wonder how different things would be if it had happened any other way.”

That final sentence bore weight as a silence developed, both between the two and in the gardens at large. If felt strange, for the both of them, to discuss the events of that night so casually, as if it were some far off and forgotten story.

“It feels like so long ago.” Rarity spoke up, her eyes locked onto something imaginary, “Such a horrible experience, for all of us, but I am thankful that things are the way they are. Our current predicaments aside, I shudder to think what troubles we would have if that night had gone any different.”

“Hrm, you know, you might actually be quite the optimistic pony.” Caliber smiled lightly, pleased with the response, “We’re going to need that kind of spirit later on, I assure you.”

“Of course I am optimistic... how else do you imagine I would have agreed to this?” Rarity flicked her head humbly, “But as positive as I may be, I cannot help but worry sometimes, especially with so many of my friends so far away. I do hope they are alright.”

“They’re a capable bunch, as I’m sure you know.” Caliber tried to reassure the unicorn, “Times may be especially challenging at the moment, but I don’t doubt we’ll see it through.”

The scene was interrupted as, with Fluttershy and Spellbound in tow, Pastel Pride shambled limply up to the two ponies. Apparently, the pegasus’ attempt to get her to come over had been successful.

“Urgh, I’ll have what he’s having...” she droned lifelessly, as if allergic to Caliber’s optimism, “How can you guys bully us into this... I want my lawyer.”

Caliber’s lips curling as something contrary threatened to emerge, Fluttershy saw the future, and intervened just in the nick of time, confident in the headway she’d made in talking to the earth pony in the brief time she’d had.

“It certainly is scary, and frightening.” Fluttershy was staring right at the captain, dropping two massive hints as obviously as possible, “I think we all feel like that, in some way or another.”

Rarity watching as Pastel wavered, she couldn’t work out if the earth pony’s quirks were genuine or for affect. With a tense sigh, Caliber took Fluttershy’s lead and ignored Pastel and his own opinions, putting his attention back on Shining Armor.

“Why are you the only one who understands me?” Pastel Pride sniffled, the notion woefully poetic to her, “We should stick together, okay? These muscle-heads are too stubborn to realize what they’re asking from us!”

Despite Fluttershy being a stranger to her until mere moments ago, now that Pastel seemed to have somepony empathetic to lean on, one could be forgiven for thinking the two as childhood friends. This appearance was especially awkward for Spellbound, as she and Pastel actually had been friends since they were fillies. Watching as she continued to vent, all Spellbound could do was smile nervously with Caliber beside her, his irritation practically palpable.

As Rarity wondered what might result from his particularly low tolerance for the earth pony, she caught Pastel looking her way. Sensing their introduction was in order, she decided to walk up to her and Fluttershy, knowing that Caliber would be better off with a little distance.

“Let me guess, you’re our final fellow conscript.” Pastel spoke first, sizing Rarity up, her well-kept and pampered aura instantly separating her from the hardy bunch around them, “How’d they rope you into all this?”

“Oh, Fluttershy and I volunteered of course.” she nodded curtly, “My name is Rarity, by the way.”

“Fluttershy and Rarity, huh?” Pastel looked between the two, her attitude still as bleak as ever, “We’re supposed to be their ace in the hole? What the heck?”

“Truth be told, I was worried about the same thing at first.” Rarity also attempted the considerate approach, “And mind you, I was a little concerned about the coordination of all this. But as soon as I realised how needed we are, us three I mean, I decided that this was something I wanted to do.”

“Come on girls, be straight with me...” Pastel lowered her head and her tone, staring at the pair seriously, “Tell me I’m not the only one who thinks this is some total B.S.”

“You’re not the only one who thinks it’s scary...” Fluttershy tapped her front hooves together timidly, “And you’re not the only one thinking of ways to not have to do anything, and to go back to home like normal.”

“Fluttershy?” Rarity’s focus was redirected by that last part, “Are you sure you’re...”

As the unicorn trailed off, even Pastel shelved her nervous and stared at Fluttershy. She understood that pegasus was timid and everything, but the thought that she was also looking for a way out of this gave her pause. She was also right about being scared. When they had talked earlier, Fluttershy seemed to realize that complaining and making a scene was Pastel’s way of dealing with that fear. Yet...

Surrounded by armoured guards, Fluttershy raised her head slightly and closed her eyes. With a deep breath, both Rarity and Pastel were surprised to see a kind of resolve rise from within her.

“But I decided to be brave this time.” the pegasus continued, her mind flashing back to her time in the hot Appleoosan desert, “We can’t sit around and wait for it all to just blow over.”

At this, a collection of eyes drifted her way. Caliber, listening silently, now looked on, his interest piqued. Even Spellbound found her attention wander to the pegasus.

“Twilight told me... and Applejack said it too.” Fluttershy’s tone lifted, her words distant, “We all have things we can and cannot do. Right now, they’re a long way away, and they are doing things I can’t. But I’m here. And I feel like... this is something I can do.

“It’s scary... to have people depending on me.” she continued, her voice wavering ever so slightly, “And although I would really, really rather they didn’t... what I want most of all is not to let them down.”

“Very well said darling!” Rarity nuzzled her friend earnestly, “I dare say I feel exactly the same.”

“Yeah, yeah... really inspirational.” Pastel remarked flatly, “Boy, do I feel rallied. Put me on the frontlines chief, I’m ready to do my princess proud!”

“Stop it.” Spellbound intruded, correcting her friend’s behaviour with a bonk to the back of the head, “Don’t go trampling on their resolve just because you’re the only one who doesn’t think this is important.”

“Oh, I’m all for important.” Pastel swivelled, virtually jumping at the opportunity to vent some more, “Look, I’ll count it off. We’ve got... two royal guard captains, one, two, three, four... lots of royal guards, the ex-acting-captain of the royal guard, the royal herself, miss Princess Luna, with her proverbial hoof in the proverbial pie, and let’s not forget, the element of kindness, and the element of... what was it? Generosity?

“Whatever...” she continued quickly, not wanting anyone to interrupt her, “I’m just saying, yes, I do realise this important and all that. But, all the important ponies I just made a list of, account for all but one of the ponies here, and that little outlier is me. I. Do. Not. Belong. Here.”

“If you don’t mind my asking, where would you rather be?” Rarity interrupted, trying her own tactic, “What I mean is, if you didn’t have to be here, and you could have it your way, where would you be right now?”

“Ha, that’s an easy one.” Pastel’s mind was instantly transported to that fantasy, “Back at Canterlot General, night shift... getting paid overtime for just being with my library.”

Rarity’s keen technique of trying to calm and centre the earth pony seemingly successful, it was just as her imaginings begun to elate her that the reality of it came crashing down.




“Those guys were friends of yours, huh?” Pastel struggled with the idea, their contrasting personalities incompatible to her mind, “And that nonsense, as you so rightly put it, has been my life ever since they appeared in it.”

“Then you are important, are you not?” Rarity saw her chance, and smiled ever so slightly as she took it, “In fact, the way you say it, you surely realise it yourself. You are the single, greatest, most complete resource on Terra, the three heroes, and the prophecy.”

At this, Spellbound put her front hoof over her friend’s shoulder, and leant on her heavily, trapping her. “So, it’s like Fluttershy was telling us earlier.” she smiled collaboratively, “We’ve all got things we can and can’t do. And you, my dear Pastel, can be our brain and do what us dumb grunts and muscle-heads can’t.

“And in return, we’re not asking you to slap on a set of armour and storm the castle, as you seem to be afraid this entails.” Spellbound continued, tussling her friend’s mane roughly as she released her, “That’s my job. But I can only do it if you can do yours.”

This was Pastel’s final prompt, and the faces all around her reflect it. Fluttershy, Rarity, Spellbound, they all stared silently at her, and they were waiting. The ball was in her court, and so long as she had her free will, she still had the final say regardless of what everyone else was telling her.

“So, what’s it gonna be, huh?” Caliber spoke up from the front, his back to her, but his eyes looking her way for the first time, “Are you in?”

“This is stupid.” Pastel used up all the air in her body in a long, drawn-out, suspenseful sigh, “Uurrghh... this is sooo stupid. I... you... but... okay. Fine, I’ll do it... jeez.”

“That’s the flimsiest answer I can imagine, but it looks like we’re in business!” Spellbound exclaimed, slapping her friend on the back again, “I never doubted you for a second, Ms Pride.”

“I swear, you guys are so crazy... it’s infectious.” Pastel was practically limp, “If you guys get me killed, I am so gonna haunt you.”

“So, we’ve got our expert after all.” Caliber smiled for Pastel, surprising the whole bunch, “And not a moment too soon.”

As the girls begun to wonder what he meant, the body of guards surrounding them shuffled slightly, their captain now having finished their briefing. It was difficult to see through the crowd, but it looked as if there was something going on around the outside.

“Take a good look at Canterlot guys; it’s the last you’re going to be seeing of it for a while.” Caliber said, turning on the group, still smiling as if he was motivated by something, “Come to think of it, you can say goodbye to the sun as well...

“Where we’re going...” he continued ominously, “is a place where its light has never reached.”

* * * *

The skies above Mistmantle churned, still whirling with the fury of the windigo within the deep grey clouds. With a cool and analytical gaze, Quicksilver simply watched and waited for the final phase of the so-called ‘Howling Front’ to come and wreak its havoc.

As he continued to stare, he saw the bright blue spectre dart across his field of vision for the first time. Squinting behind his reflective goggles, the unicorn saw the hollow white eyes and the ghostly figure of the monster as it broke from its constant circling and shot across the sky like a shooting star, directly away from the town it was sieging.

“What are you up to?” he muttered to himself, the shock and surprise of witnessing such a creature absent from his voice, “Where are you going?”

His answer came soon enough. As the ghostly form of the windigo reached the peak of a neighbouring mountain, it hovered for a moment, before it let loose with a sharp squeal and dove down, slipping seamlessly through the snow-capped mountain-top.

A bone-chilling silence hung for but a moment, enough to make Quicksilver wonder what had just happened. In that sudden quiet however, a new sound begun to fill the air. It started low, like a deep ornate grumble, and the earth trembled slightly to match. But then it grew, and as the ground below begun to quake violently, the deafening crunch of broken rock echoed out from the mountaintop as it was split harshly and unbelievably into two.

Quicksilver, for perhaps the first time in his life, doubted his own eyes. A mountain, one that had constantly stood watch outside his home, had been vertically sundered, and its peak, even higher and lonelier than that of Mistmantle, had become two. A thousand whats, whys, and hows ricocheted inside his mind, but it quickly became apparent there was no time for answers. For, as the split between the mountain grew and its halves begun to drift apart, the tear in the earth grew, stretching further and further from the source, its jagged path advancing in a very deliberate direction.

“No...” Quicksilver’s stance wavered, his voice only a silent whimper, “That’s... that’s impossible!”

Yet, right before his widened eyes, the harsh crack extended forwards, right towards his home, the earth steadily opening up to swallow it whole. This was nothing like what he had planned for. It defied reason... it even defied belief. This wasn’t even something he could imagine, let alone solve.

Oddly enough, Quicksilver’s mind flashed back to a year ago, during the last Howling Front, to a time where he last felt this kind of helplessness. When the clouds above hurled frozen lightning like raindrops, he and Sunny thought it to be the end. But in emerging from that disaster, he had sworn to exceed that feeling, and with his father’s death to fuel his resolve, make it so that fateful storm could be conquered once more.

But with the mountain in the distance now totally divided, and the hungering crack through the earth well on the way to splitting Mistmantle, the unicorn couldn’t help but feel that grim feeling of helplessness return. Just like it did one year ago, those definitive words once again entered his mind...

“This...” he muttered, his own thoughts escaping him, “This is the end.”


Meanwhile, closer to the centre of the town, Twilight and the others were no closer to understanding the phenomenon they were faced with. Having left the observatory and now out on the open streets, they raced as fast as they could to the source of all the havoc, fighting to keep their balance as, with each reach of the vicious crack that was threatening to split Mistmantle, the earth below shook in violent bursts.

“Of all the things I imagined the storm would throw at us...” Marco grunted, his stance wide as he tried to stay upright, “This is way outside anything I expected.”

“It always is...” Sunny replied, his tone eerily unplaceable, “But even still, this is just beyond anything I’ve ever seen before. That mountain’s been there forever. And just like that...”

The earth started to shake a little bit less just as he trailed off. Applejack, perhaps the most level-headed of the bunch at the moment, broke away from her preoccupation with the terrified Torrin and looked back towards the scientist in concern.

“Sunny?” she asked cautiously, “Are you gonna be okay there?”

The unicorn was silent for a good long moment. But in realising the other eyes drifting towards him, and in recognising the fear freezing him in place, he exhaled deeply and regained himself.

“Don’t worry about me.” he replied finally, his tone significantly stronger, “But... I’m sorry. I need to ask a favour.”

“Can’t we talk about this on the move?!” Marco insisted, the tremors intensifying again, “We haven’t got much time!”

“No, we can’t.” Sunny held firm, “Because I’m going back... to the observatory I mean.”

“But we just came from there!” Torrin exclaimed, the urgency of their situation clear to his frightened mind, “What’s the point of going back and forth so much?!”

Sunny exhaled deeply again, his breath materialising in the cold air. “No matter what we do, that... that thing is gonna hit Mistmantle.” he said, his tone dropping slightly, “We can’t control that. Not me... and not you.”

“Sunny?” Applejack didn’t understand, “What are you-”

“But there are things I can still control.” the unicorn unleashed his resolve, “But to do that... I have to be back there. Which is why I need a favour.”

“I know it’s hard Sunny... but you’re not thinking straight.” Twilight approached, trying her best to be comforting despite the situation they were in, “If we want any hope of stopping this thing and saving your home, then we need to be at the source! There isn’t anything you can do if you-”

“No... you’re wrong.” Sunny cut her off, “I’ve got an idea. And it just might save my home.”

Just then, the ground below begun to shake again, more violently than before. Beside Marco, Applejack staggered, and Torrin stumbled and fell, taking a moment to lift himself back up.

“Tsk, we haven’t got enough time to convince each other we know best.” he spoke up above the rumbling, drawing a wedge between Twilight and Sunny, “Come on. We’re splitting up.”

Twilight was visibly opposed to leaving things at that, but she wasn’t ignorant to the urgency of the situation. And as Sunny appeared more adamant that ever to do things his way, there was only one thing to do.

“I can’t say I like it, but good luck.” she stepped back, “What was this favour of yours?”

“Quicksilver’s a fool, but his heart’s in the right place.” Sunny smiled, returning briefly to his normal self, “In all likelihood, he’s got the same plan as you lot, so I’d bet anything you’ll find him where you’re headed.

“He’s probably preparing to tackle this thing head on.” he shook his head slowly, “So find him for me, and don’t let him do anything stupid.”

As the quaking started to die down again, there was a brief moment of silence to be had. Twilight stared back at Sunny again, trying in vain to work him and his motivations out...

“Okay!” Marco cut through the moment, “We got it. Now let’s go! We won’t be helping anyone if we keep standing around any longer!”

Without waiting for a response, he took off, leading the charge back towards the storm, if it could still be called that. With a silent nod, Twilight turned her back and begun to follow, leaving only Applejack and Torrin still staring at the curious scientist.

“Don’t you do nothing stupid neither!” Applejack commented as she let Torrin clamber aboard her back, “If we’re helping Quicksilver for you, then that’s the promise you gotta make, you hear?”

“That’s an easy request, being the genius I am.” Sunny flashed a grin as he made to head his own way, “Okay... Understood. It’s a promise, so get going already!”


Watching as the steady shuddering of the ground did little to slow Applejack’s gallop, Sunny maintained a slight smile until she and Torrin were out of sight.

“Don’t do anything stupid, huh?” he said to himself as he picked up the pace, head right back to the observatory, “Cheeky girl. But I guess whether or not I get to keep that promise depends on whether this work or not...

“But I guess I really am grasping at straws here.” Sunny steeled himself, an aura of seriousness taking over as he increased his speed, “Okay then. May as well grasp.”

* * * *

“This some straight-up fairy tale stuff right here.” Tager muttered as she flew, observing the chaos from the skies, “He said this storm comes along a lot, but if it did stuff like this every time...

“I wonder why it’s okay to fly all of a sudden anyway?” she asked herself as she rolled unfettered through the cold air, losing her train of thought, “I mean, it’d still probably be bad if I didn’t spend all that time conditioning myself... but still. It’s gotta be to do with that windigo. All that freezing wind and whatnot is gone...”

Far above the impact of the extending crack and the shaking earth, Tager simply flew along, tracking its progress from above as she thought to herself out loud.

“Looks like it’s gonna hit Mistmantle head on.” she found herself stop, hovering in mid-air as she contemplated her own position, “It’s probably going to chew right through all those buildings... and cut the damn town in two.

“I’m sure Marco and that have gone and gotten themselves involved.” Tager continued, sighing in mock exasperation, “It sucks, but I should probably find them and see what’s going on... I wouldn’t want-”

The brash pegasus’ monologue was cut unceremoniously off as an especially audible earthly crunch echoed out from below her. She looked down to see what had caused it, and from her perfect vantage point, she saw something that caused ever her, safe up in the sky, to feel concern.

Now closer to reaching the town toward it had been extending, the vicious crack took on new life. Instead of maintaining the direct path it had followed thus far, it suddenly begun to snake, waving in and out in dramatic loops, but most shockingly of all, still headed ever onwards, on a collision course for Mistmantle.

From high above, Tager could see it all, and in her mind’s eye, could follow the pattern as it would unfold. What left her stunned however, was the intentionality of it all. To so suddenly alter its course, to so specifically head towards the town ahead of it... it was as if it was designed to do as much damage as possible.

Tager looked back to the origin of all this, staring at the twin mountain peaks that had until recently been only one. Until now, that was the fate she saw for Mistmantle. But with the way the earth was tearing itself apart, Tager wasn’t worried about the mountaintop splitting anymore. If that crack continued its current path, Mistmantle would shatter. There wouldn’t be anything left.

Shit.” the pegasus spat, zipping back towards the town as fast as she could, no longer content sitting on the sidelines, “This isn’t good. Those guys better be alright.”

Unopposed by any kind of wind, Tager was free to make a direct route right back to the town. Doing so was a strange sensation, for it would normally be an impossible thing to do, and it was likely that she may in fact be the only pony to have ever flown here freely. As she thought about it more, she realized that the rarity of something like this would only really be appreciated by a fellow pegasus. For her new and flightless companions, it would akin to the ocean suddenly drying up and allowing them to walk freely on the seafloor.

With greater concerns on her mind, and now close to her destination, Tager had little time to continue to contemplate such things. Scanning the outside of the town, she couldn’t make anything out against the deep dark purple of the surrounding walls. It was safe for her to assume that her group must then still be inside the town, unless they had decided to flee, which would put them back on the path they took to get here; a road that just so happened to be on the opposite side of the town to this one.

“Hrm, this might not be so easy.” Tager furrowed her brow, not knowing enough about the others to accurately guess their movements, “They didn’t seem like the type to run away, but... this is a windigo we’re talking about here.”

Hovering on the spot with one hoof to her muzzle, Tager tried to think it through a little more. She could rule out the possibility of them staying in the town and taking shelter. The townsfolk may have been doing just that, but she knew that was because they had been through the same drill many times before. She didn’t believe that the others would follow suit, not without knowing what they were up against first. Thus, to Tager’s mind, there were really only two other options left.

“Run away from an foe you can’t escape, or fight an enemy you cannot beat.” she pondered, tapping her muzzle thoughtfully, “I guess it boils down to what kind of stupid they are.”

The pegasus sighed heavily, as if exhausted. Ever impatient, Tager quickly gave up on thinking it through anymore, and instead settled on taking some kind of action.

“Whatever...” she shook her head to herself, “So long as I can fly, I’ll check the other side of town, just in case. Otherwise... it isn’t a big place. They’ll probably see me first if I make a few passes over-”

Tager found herself stop mid-sentence. As she got closer to the edge of town in her attempt to pass overhead and on to the opposite side, she finally spied a lone figure, standing alone just outside the entrance to the town, his back to the wall and his eyes toward the incoming chaos.

As she looked a little closer however, she realised those weren’t eyes at all. Recognising those wrap-around goggles, she figured out pretty quickly who it was she was looking at. Her intrigue getting the better of her, she diverted from her path, and in the space of a few seconds, landed on the far side of the entrance.

If Quicksilver recognised her too, it didn’t show. His stare didn’t waver as Tager casually walked towards him. She came in beside the unicorn, but interestingly enough, it was him who spoke first.

“When I saw you flying earlier, I assumed you were doing the sensible thing and escaping this place.” he said, still not looking away, “Though I suppose I’ve asked you to leave this town once already, now it’s for an entirely different reason. So long as the storm isn’t stopping you from taking wing, you should take the chance and get away from here.”

“Sorry, but that’s not my style.” Tager teased, “Either way, you don’t need to worry poor little me. Earthquake or whatever, it’s not exactly a threat to a pegasus, or anything else that can just watch from above as everything gets trashed.”

“You have a point.” Quicksilver accepted her response, “So what then? Are you just here to observe?”

“Hrm... more or less.” the pegasus actually considered her answer for a moment, “But maybe waiting is a better word. What about you, huh? You don’t exactly look like you’re in a hurry to get out of here either...”

“I suppose I’m waiting too.” Quicksilver’s stare forward intensified somewhat, “But I doubt it’s for the same thing as you.”

Staring idly at the motionless unicorn, she followed his gaze, despite already knowing full well what he was so transfixed on. Seeing the effects of the sundered earth approaching, and with the big event only minutes away, it didn’t take a genius for her to figure out what he meant.

“Hopeless as it is, you didn’t strike me as the kinda guy with a deathwish.” Tager sighed, determining her next move, “If you wanna go ahead and get yourself killed, then that’s your business, but I’m gonna go find some friends of mine, and I suggest you come-”

“You assume too much.” Quicksilver finally looked her way, his voice tellingly deprived of fear or hopelessness, “You said you were here to observe, did you not?”

Slowly and deliberately, the unicorn once again looked out towards the destruction. Surprised, Tager watched as his expression became filled with determination.

“Then observe...” he said, a strong resolve shining through, “The moment that I finally defeat this storm... this plague... and free my home and my people from this damn curse... will soon be upon us.”

* * * *

Rarity held her breath, trapped in a world of black. She felt her body sinking slowly, unable to move through the thick, viscous substance around her. And the heat... it surrounded her on all sides, and despite everything else, the temperature was close to unbearable.

Just as she began to feel the need to breathe tugging at her consciousness, she felt something strong grip at her front hoof. It instantly begun to pull, and within moments, she was free of the hot darkness and once again free to breath deep the stale air.

“Welcome to Meetlemarsh.” Caliber said with a pained grin, hefting the unicorn out of the muddy bog in a single, full-bodied motion, “Are you okay?”

Understandably, Rarity took a moment to catch her breath. She looked back to what had swallowed her up, the ugly brown pool of mud gurgling and swaying as if it were a living, breathing thing. Then, perhaps with even more woe, she looked to her own soiled coat, the pure white now hidden under a coat of drying mud.

“I’m fine.” she said, finally taking a deep breath, “Thank you. What... what was that stuff?”

“You’ve just had yourself an encounter with one of Meetlemarsh’s famous volcanic mud pits.” Spellbound said from afar, a mud-encrusted Pastel Pride secured on her back, “Heat from underground keeps them from solidifying... so you need to be careful not to fall in. It’s like quicksand.”

“Ergh...” Rarity moaned, feebly trying to scrape the mud away, “Thank you for the warning... but I could have done with it some time sooner.”

Seeing the unicorn’s disgust as she continued to try and shake free of the thick mud, Spellbound set aside the traumatised Pastel Pride and moved closer. “You know, I’ve heard this mud does wonders for your complexion.” she mentioned, peering at the gurgling pit in question, “Apparently the volcanic veins that keep them hot also make them rich in minerals. Some ponies travel the world over to get their hooves on this stuff.”

“You don’t say?” Rarity held a mud-slathered hoof before her eyes, the change in her tone instantly recognisable, “I wonder why I’ve never heard of it...”

Suddenly, Shining Armor appeared from behind, standing tall on a thick root with a concerned-looking Fluttershy hovering beside him.

“I wouldn’t take things so lightly if I were you, girls.” he warned, looking more to Spellbound than Rarity, “These mud pits can be extremely dangerous... and they are only one element of this hostile environment.”

“Sorry Captain.” Spellbound bowed her head apologetically, “We’ll be more careful.”

As he accepted this and turned to leave, Rarity made to ask what he meant by ‘hostile environment’. But as she opened her mouth to speak, Pastel Pride stole the spotlight with a sudden yelp, the so-far silent pony taking in the scene around her with dread.

“What the heck is this place?” she muttered in shock, whatever expectations she had for this place seemingly betrayed, “What kinda swamp is this?”

Her surprise could be easily forgiven. Truthfully, Rarity had yet to stop and appreciate her surroundings, and now that she followed the earth pony’s stare, she too found Shining Armor’s warnings to be well timed.

They were surrounded by thick trees, yet not one had any leaves to speak of. Above that, the bark that covered them was black and hard. The ground was dotted with gurgling pots of viscous mud, and the path between them was hardly trodden. At first the ground appeared to be covered in a dry brown grass, but on closer inspection, it appeared to be a kind of moss. Also, occasionally the earth bore harsh cracks and small gorges, as well as oddly shaped formations of pale rock. Finally, there was the most ominous thing of all. As foreshadowed by Caliber back in Canterlot, the skies above were dominated by blackened clouds, making night and day indistinguishable. True to Pastel’s disbelief, if this was supposed to be a marsh, Rarity wasn’t seeing it.

“The lava flows that keep the mud pits from solidifying branch out underground in all directions.” Caliber spoke up, sensing the unicorn’s questions, “Wherever there’s a pool of mud, you know that’s a spot where the volcanic veins are close to the surface. They are dangerous though, because the flows are unpredictable. If you’re unlucky, any one of these pits can be as hot as magma.”

“That explains the trees.” Fluttershy spoke up, “They can stay alive even this close to such a strong heat source... but anything growing on them is impossible.”

“Why are we only hearing about this now?!” Pastel growled from below, still mostly covered in drying mud, “Two of us have already fallen in! We could have died!

“You were warned not to wander off.” Caliber replied impatiently, “And if you had listened to the captain instead of throwing a fit earlier, you would have known about these kinds of dangers already.”

“Well, excuse me for not expecting to fall into a potentially magma-hot vat of mud the first time I take two independent steps in this wasteland!” the earth pony retorted, “I’m just a librarian, remember? You guys need to take better care of me!”

“Okay, that’s enough of that.” Spellbound intervened, taking her friend away from the scene, sitting her down and helping her get the mud out of her coat, “You won’t get very far trying to stir up the capt- uh, Caliber. So why don’t you stay close to me from now on, hrm? I’ll protect you.”

“Okay...” Pastel hung her head slowly, “That sounds good. Just like old times, right?”

“We’re not kids anymore, but sure.” Spellbound smiled confidently, memories of their childhood flashing in her mind, “You did a brave thing you know? Stepping into my world. You’ll be back to your library before you know it.”

“I miss it already...” the earth pony sighed, but then stood, “If this is the outside world that everyone keeps going on about, I don’t think I ever wanna leave again.”

“Cheer up.” Spellbound commanded, looking over her shoulder to see Caliber and Shining Armor talking to one another, “Now, sit yourself down here. The big boys are talking, and I don’t want to miss out on what they’re saying.

“Fluttershy, Rarity!” she continued, calling out to the two, “Could you two come over here? I’d rather have you girls stay together for the time being.”

“I’m sure that’s it...” Pastel droned sourly, seeing through her old friend’s intentions with ease, “I’ll just get into trouble on my own, huh? And right after you said to stick with you...”

“It can’t be helped.” Spellbound shrugged casually as she trotted off, “Stay where I can see you, okay?”

By way of reply, Pastel simply looked about her own seated self, as if to affirm that she wasn’t about to go anywhere. With a dreary sigh, she let her posture slump and lent her cheek against her front hoof, forming the very image of irritation.

All but ignoring the immature antics of her old friend, Spellbound approached Caliber and Shining Armor, the two standing tall up on the higher ground. Instantly she could guess at the topic of their discussion, and Caliber did not look impressed.

“They came through here long before us.” the pegasus was in the middle of saying, “And they have all the available information on the town and the situation. It’s very unlikely they have been spotted, or have run into any issues. It should only be a matter of time before they are back.”

“Time, however, is not on our side.” Shining Armor retorted, “Your confidence in the scouts aside, they are late. I think we should move in as soon as possible. Hopefully, we may rejoin with the scouts on the way if they really haven’t run into any issues.”

“We shouldn’t risk moving closer to the town with so many of us.” Caliber replied seriously, “We need the scouts to return to determine an effective way to do this.”

“From what I’ve been told of the enemy so far, the possibility of a trap is not out of the question.” Shining Armor thought out loud, “And the scouts are late for some reason. If they have gotten into trouble, holding here is pointless.”

“That would only make moving forward more dangerous.” Caliber objected, “And this time, there should be no way for them to know we are coming. The scouts will be back soon. I’m sure of it.”

“The princess was clear that time is one of the more important factors here.” Shining Armor reasoned, “If it weren’t, we would have travelled here on our own means, and not have risked sending in a unit to teleport us in the first place.”

“What do you mean by risk?!” Pastel Pride’s voice echoed in the distance, “You told me it was safe!

“Never mind that.” Spellbound covered up her friend’s cries with purpose, “Captain, I know what Luna said, but Caliber’s right. Rushing it will cause problems.”

“I understand, and I agree that we must be cautious.” Shining Armor nodded ever so slightly, “But this is already a compromise. Risk or no risk, we cannot afford to delay much longer.”

“Let me link up with the recon group then.” Caliber offered, not satisfied with the captain’s judgement, “If there’s a reason for the wait, or something to report-”

“No, not while you can’t fly.” Shining Armor cut him off, “We will hold here for ten more minutes. If they take longer than that, then we will just have to make do without them.”

Caliber bit his lip at first, but then nodded firmly. “Okay.” he conceded, “That should be long enough. I’ll go and spread the word.”

And with that, the pegasus was away. Spellbound and Shining Armor watched him go, both of them occupied with their own thoughts. Now standing alone together, it was only a matter of time before they broke from their respective trances and met eyes.

“You’re lieutenant Spellbound, aren’t you?” Shining Armor asked almost immediately, “The one who took over for Caliber as the acting captain after he was injured?”

“Ah, I’m not a lieutenant, but the rest of that is right.” Spellbound replied quickly, snapping into a salute on reflex, “I’m just a royal guard sir.”

“Is that so?” Shining Armor replied, genuinely surprised, “Sorry, I just assumed. I was told you did an outstanding job, especially given the circumstances.”

“Really?” Spellbound’s formal air broke at that last part, “Where’d you hear that?”

“Well, from the princess of course.” Shining Armor replied, “As for being a lieutenant, that must have been a simple rumour among the other guards. I guess they must have made their own assumptions as well.

“In any case, don’t go too far.” he continued, “I would value your input as much as Caliber’s. Ranks aside, your experience will prove useful.”

“O-okay...” she trailed off, not expecting the discussion to go that way, “Happy to help.”

With an optimistic nod, Shining Armor was on his way. Spellbound stood still for a moment, unsure of what to do with herself. She spied Caliber talking with a small group of guards off to her left, and behind her was the grumbling Pastel Pride, with Fluttershy beside her, the kind pegasus helping to remove the last dregs of the now-dry mud clinging to her coat.

“Excuse me Spellbound...” Rarity snuck up on her from the right, “Do you have a moment?”

“O-oh, Rarity... you surprised me.” the unicorn stammered, taken off guard, “Anything wrong?”

That... hrm, that remains to be seen.” Rarity struggled to find the right words, venturing a not so subtle look around, “Do you mind if I ask what all that was about?”

“Before we had that gathering at Canterlot, two teams were sent here in advance.” she explained as simply as she could, “One group was Shining Armor’s unicorns, and it was their job to use their magic to bring the lot of us here. The other group was some of Caliber’s pegasi, and it was their job to scout out the town we’re heading towards, and report back.

“But they haven’t come back yet, and they should have.” Spellbound continued, “That’s what we were arguing about. Caliber thinks if we wait longer, they will come back on their own, but the captain wants to move ahead as soon as possible.”

“Oh dear.” Rarity sighed, understanding the dilemma, “How about you? Do you have a stance on this?”

“Naturally, they both have a point...” Spellbound also sighed, “Going in blind won’t do us any favours, but I don’t share Caliber’s faith in the scouts. With what happened to you and your friends in Appleoosa, our people at Canterlot, and the others in Hordimare, It’d be foolish to just assume that things will go to plan.

“That said, we’ve taken every precaution about keeping ‘you-know-who’ totally secret.” Spellbound continued, hinting not-so-subtly at how Atlas Black had been intentionally pronounced dead, “And Shining Armor made a fair decision in the end.”

“Perhaps this is all a little beyond me after all.” Rarity replied, looking about herself as she felt increasingly unqualified to comment on what had been said, “No doubt it’s a hassle having me sticking my nose into your business-”

“No, it does help to sort out my own thoughts.” Spellbound waved her off casually enough, but then rounded back on her, “Even so, is there any particular reason why you’re so curious?”

“Well, it does involve me and my friends, no?” Rarity feigned innocence, if only briefly, “However... well, let’s just say that following my little talk with Mr. Caliber back at Canterlot, I’m just a little concerned about him. That’s all.”

Unconsciously, the both of them looked his way, the pegasus in question now standing alone and looking into the distance as if awaiting the return of the scouts.

“I can only imagine that the circumstances are rather tough on him.” Rarity continued, “He’s been through quite the ordeal, and even that is putting it lightly. And now with Twilight’s brother in command... I just worry is all.”

“Oh, don’t be so dramatic...” Spellbound almost chuckled, shattering the serious atmosphere, “This is just the business of running the guard. Caliber and Shining Armor are good friends, and have worked together for a while. They each have a good idea of how the other thinks, so even when they disagree they can still be considerate.”

“Hrm... I had heard that they were close...” Rarity replied, humming doubtfully, “But I still can’t say I’m satisfied that Shining Armor is in charge of everything, even if Caliber doesn’t seem to care.”

This time it was Spellbound who found herself hum. “Well, that may not be the case.” she said tentatively, quickly contrasting her previous attitude, “Between being in a rough patch already, and now getting roadblocked by the leadership... I hope he’ll be alright.”

“Oh?” Rarity changed tune to hear the unicorn waver, “What makes you say that?”

“Because...” she sighed, looking over Rarity’s shoulder, “His ten minutes are almost up.”


The following moments passed by in silence. As Caliber’s time was done, Spellbound and Rarity stared quietly at the still Shining Armor. He of course knew that he had already waited as long as he had agreed to, but as the seconds continued to tick by, he didn’t give the order. Seeing Caliber still staring intently off into the distance, he finally sighed heavily, but just as he made to raise his voice and order the guards into formation, an unexpected shout stopped him in his tracks.

“We’ve got movement!” one of his unicorn guards exclaimed from his left, “Dead ahead... it looks like the recon squad, sir!”

A restrained murmur emerging from the surrounding guards, Shining Armor followed their gaze to see the silhouettes of half a dozen pegasi trotting his way with heavy encumbered steps.

Relieved, Caliber and Shining Armor both stepped forward to greet them, followed by Spellbound and an odd number of the nearby guards. As the groups joined, the small squad of pegasi ground to a halt, panting heavily in total exhaustion.

“Take a moment.” Shining Armor said, understanding the situation, “When you’re ready... start from the beginning.”

Caliber, mouth open and ready to question his scouts, found himself pause. Here he was, ready to interrogate them about being late and what they’d discovered, yet it was Shining Armor who could sense the serious atmosphere. Now that he took a moment, Caliber believed he could see it too. His pegasi looked to one another in breathless silence, as if urging one another to be the one to speak up.

“C...captain.” one of them spoke up bravely, his speech broken by heavy breathing, “We... we may have a problem...”

* * * *

“We haven’t got long!” Marco’s voice was strained as they ran, the group now nearing the edge of town, “But what are we going to do when we get there? I don’t have any ideas...”

“We need to figure out what we’re really dealing with first.” Twilight replied, her voice also rather shaky despite trying to maintain her composure, “Only then will we know what we can do about it.”

“Sunny seemed to have a plan.” Applejack commented, Torrin still firmly upon her back, “If worst comes to worst, we could leave it up to him, and just grab Quicksilver and get out of harm’s way.”

“What about everypony else?” Torrin asked the obvious question, “I haven’t seen anyone since we left the observatory! Are they going to be alright just staying inside these buildings?”

“Sunny said something about evacuating the town, but it wasn’t very clear what he actually had in mind.” Twilight answered, “But those structures are made from some very serious stuff. They’ve been here for a long time now, and have always endured the crazy weather. Maybe it’s not too optimistic to think this time won’t be any different.”

“I don’t know about that Twilight.” Marco wasn’t convinced, “Like Sunny said earlier, that mountaintop had also been there forever. And now look at it...

“Besides, I’m sure even you can tell, this time it’s different.” he continued, his tone low, “This isn’t the Howling Front they’re used to...”

“So you’re still convinced this all revolves around Terra’s seal being here?” Applejack asked, memories of their talk in the observatory coming back to her, “Is that why you think the windigos come back so soon after the last storm? Because it’s attracted to something you think is hidden here?”

“We’ll have our answer soon enough.” he replied vaguely, unconsciously slowing his pace, “But to me, it’s looking more and more likely... obvious even.”

“How do you mean?” Twilight also found herself slow down, too curious in what he had just said, “What makes you so sure all of a sudden?”

“It’s too convenient.” he answered simply enough, “This isn’t just some earthquake; the ground itself is opening up. Something below us... something buried beneath Mistmantle... is slowly being unearthed. Knowing what we do, what do you think that thing could be? Could it be anything but the place in which Terra was sealed away?”

“Seal or no seal, whatever it is, this earthquake’s fixing to take the whole town with it!” Applejack replied, “Isn’t that the kinda thing we should be trying to do something about!”

“What do you think Twilight?” Marco asked, skipping past Applejack’s comment, “If I’m right, and Terra’s seal is here, then it is also where Celestia was imprisoned.”

Enough.” she replied sternly, taking the group by surprise, “Applejack’s right, we’re wasting time! If... if you’re right, then we’ll know afterwards. But right now, this place is in real danger. Don’t get distracted!”

“We’re pretty much at the edge of town.” Applejack spoke up, “I don’t think there’s much else I can help with except for finding Quicksilver. Should we split up?”

“Look!” Torrin almost threw her off balance as he leant forward off her back and pointed forwards, “That’s Tager, isn’t it?”

Following his gesture, Twilight saw her too. She stood still atop the roof of a nearby building, looking out and over the town’s solid walls and at the storm outside.

“Well, I’ll be...” Applejack breathed, “Now she shows up! Tager! There you are! Where the heck have you-”

“The reunion’s going to have to wait girls...” Marco’s voice was shaky, “Look...

From where they now stood, they could easily see through the open gate and to the world outside the walls. A look of horror crossed each of their faces to see the giant crack tearing its way through the earth, its destructive path headed right for them.

Torrin was the first to see him. While the others were instantly stunned by the spectacle before them, the young earth pony quickly realised there was somebody standing tall between them and the incoming quake. For a moment, his own fears were gone from his mind as something else came to the fore. It was hard to place at first... but it didn’t feel unusual or unnatural. He felt certainty, clarity... intrigue. Indeed, at looking at this mysterious pony... it was as if that was what he was supposed to feel.

“There’s the guy!” he exclaimed, the words out before he realised, “It’s Quicksilver!”

Marco’s eyes boggled to see the unicorn who, for reasons beyond his comprehension, was content standing so close to what could only be called certain death.

“We have to hurry!” he yelled, breaking off into a run, “If-”

He didn’t have time to finish his sentence. Before he could gain any significant distance, the ground begun to shake with new life, much more violently than before. Instantly, everyone on the ground struggled to stay upright, Torrin even falling unceremoniously from Applejack’s back as the two grappled for support.

“It must be real close now...” Applejack grumbled, the reason behind the shaking obvious to her, “Damn... we can’t move like this...

Tager!” she suddenly roared above the din, “What are you doing!? You’re the only one who can do it now! Get out there and grab that guy before it’s too late!”

The pegasus didn’t budge, nor show any sign of hearing the earth pony. Despite her surroundings, her eyes faced forward, not to the storm, but to the figure standing definitely before it, refusing to be overthrown by the violent shaking of the ground below.

“No can do.” she finally said, her refusal barely audible amidst the quakes, “This idiot says he’s gonna save the day, so I reckon we should let him...”

“Don’t be stupid!” Applejack growled, the words nonsense to her ears, “Look around you damn it! Ain’t no one can stop this! We’ve gotta run! It’s the only choice we got left!”

Twilight, also fighting to keep her balance, bit her lip at that last part. Her friend was right of course, but she didn’t want to believe it. They had run here, hoping they could stop the crisis, but now that they were here, it really did look like that all they could do was run away. Looking between the angry Applejack and the cool Tager, the world slowed down around her as she thought desperately about what to do...

She couldn’t move, not with the ground shaking like this. Marco, Applejack, and even Torrin were in the same situation. Tager had the advantage of flight, and for Quicksilver’s part, even if he wanted to run away, he probably couldn’t move either. Sunny was nowhere close, and even though he claimed to have his own ideas, they didn't really factor in here, so there weren’t many options.

And just like that, the situation was clear. Twilight had made her decision.

“Tager, please... you have to stop him!” she cried out, demanding her attention, “No matter how hard he tries, it’s impossible for him, for anyone to stop the storm!”

At this, all eyes were on Twilight. As she was perhaps the most resolute to solve this problem initially, to hear her abandon hope on stopping the storm meant that there was now only one thing to do.

For a second, Tager stared back down at Twilight, but then she slowly closed her eyes and turned away again. “Sorry, but I don’t have to do anything.” she replied deadpan, “That guy’s made up his mind, and so have I.”

Furious, Twilight scowled silently at the intolerable pegasus, but just as she made to challenge her, she realised her friends around her had different priorities...

“Applejack... can you move?” Marco called, “If you can, grab Torrin and make your way into that building over there!”

“What about you guys?!” she replied, fighting against the quakes as she scooped up the colt, “What are you gonna do?”

“Just worry about Torrin!” he snapped back, “We promised not to let anything happen to him!”

“Marco, you go take care of him too.” Twilight said evenly from beside him, “You’re the one who made that promise to the princess, so you are responsible for him.”

He couldn’t find a way to refuse. There was something about her tone that made him realise how serious she was being. Even so, he wasn’t about to let the notion of her taking this on alone go quietly. This however, was something that Twilight was expecting.

“If Tager’s going to be stubborn, then it’s up to me to save that scientist.” she spoke, knowing Marco’s question before he asked it, “You guys can’t move properly with all this shaking... but I’ve got my magic. So hurry up and take shelter.”

“Fine, we’re useless... but don’t do anything stupid!” Marco reluctantly accepted her decision, “Do what you can, and have Tager help you if you get in trouble...”

With a determined nod, Twilight silently took in his advice. Then, with the purple glow of her horn, and a bright flash of magic, the unicorn was away.


Even as she instantly teleported beside the unicorn, he didn’t jump at her sudden appearance. Too focused on what was before him, his eyes didn’t waver at all. For her part, Twilight was momentarily speechless to see the storm coming from her new vantage point. She didn’t have long... not even a minute. She had to act fast.

“Quicksilver!” she called, trying to break his gaze, “That’s your name right? My name is Twilight... I was sent to get you by your friend Sunny Day! You have to come with me! It’s dangerous here!”

“Sunny, huh?” he replied, something unplaceable to his tone, “Sorry. But I’m not going anywhere. I intend to stop this storm... once and for all.”

You can’t!” Twilight stepped closer, “There’s too much you don’t understand! It’s impossible to stop-”

“And what would you know, Twilight?” his voice shifted, teetering on aggressive, “Once upon a time, it was impossible to negate tornadoes, or earthquakes, or tidal waves! Even... even last year, it was impossible to combat frozen lightning. There is no impossible when it comes to whether... not for me.”

“But it’s not about weather!” Twilight replied urgently, her time short, “It never was! No matter how hard you try, the storm... your ‘Howling Front’ can’t be stopped! Not by magic, science, or anything else!

“This whole time, you’ve been trying to fight something you don’t understand!” she continued, gaining momentum, “Windigos bring disaster where they find hatred, and for a thousand years straight, unknown to anyone, Mistmantle’s been the strongest source of hatred ever to exist!”

“I’ve studied these phenomena every day, and devoted everything to finishing this storm... once and for all.” Quicksilver faced forward, “What do you know? What could you know? Some outsider... spouting stupidity on fairy tales. You need to leave!”

“It’s not like that!” Twilight was at a loss, “You have to believe me... you can’t stop it!”

“For one thousand years straight, no one has even been able to even make a dent in the Howling Front.” Quicksilver’s tone lowered, “I know... I know. The only ‘victory’ we’ve ever had was paid for in blood, and it was brought on by my mistake. My father died in my stead... and for what?

“I refuse to let that be in vain...” he continued, his voice determined, “All those who came before me... how can I face them if I let a sacrifice like that go to waste? Since that day, I’ve bet my life on protecting this place. I don’t care what you think you know about that, and I’m not going to back down when my destiny’s right in front of my eyes!”

“I understand, I really do!” Twilight urged, the advancing storm not one to wait, “I already know that’s the reason you pushed so hard to be the expert you are now, but this storm hasn’t got anything to do with what you studied! Without stopping the hatred, the blizzard will never die!”

“There isn’t a thing in this world that can’t be explained...” Quicksilver didn’t falter, all but ignoring the unicorn’s pleas, “Everything I’ve ever done has been for that end. You fear this storm because you don’t understand it, but I am a scientist. I will not fear something simply because it is unknown.”

“But I do understand it!” she retorted, the urgency obvious in her tone, “That’s why I’m telling you this is crazy! I know that nothing you do will be able to stop the windigos, but you’re still trying to throw your life away!”

“Just because I’m willing to risk my life, it doesn’t mean I’m throwing it away!” Quicksilver exclaimed, “Don’t underestimate the science of weather! Generation after generation, year after year, the people of this town have been fighting back, and inventing new ways to overcome what others have thought impossible. I don’t get to give up. All those lives, all that effort, I refuse to let it go to waste!”

Even with the raging storm mere seconds from their position, a silence seemed to hang as Quicksilver voiced his resolve. “Go, follow your friends to shelter while you can.” he continued, “This is my decision, and this... is not your fight.”

Time slowing down in her mind, Twilight knew what she had to do. Her steps were impossibly hard to place, but she didn’t have far to go. Her horn was bright with magic... she only needed to reach a little further, and in an instant, she could teleport herself and Quicksilver back into the safety of the ornate structures. She wanted to avoid doing it this way... but he wasn’t being reasonable. Even if it was unforgivable, she had to force him.

Too focused on what was ahead of him, Quicksilver didn’t see Twilight reach out from behind him. Just before it would be too late, her hoof made contact... and she let her magic flare.

The impact hit her like a load of bricks. Eyes boggling as Tager slammed into her exposed side, the pegasus lifted her up and into the air along with her own airborne figure, having taken the unicorn completely off guard with an unexpected grab.

The air all but pushed from her lungs, Twilight didn’t have time to question her attacker before her own spell activated, absorbing her and Tager and disappearing the pair in a flash of purple light.


Shocked beyond their own words, Applejack and Marco gasped as the unicorn and the pegasus appeared in a flash, and tumbled inside the shelter, collapsing together in a heap.

“T-tager?” Applejack stuttered, but was quick to understand the situation, “Wait... where’s Quicksilver?”

“Twilight!” Torrin exclaimed, scuttling over as if to help her up, “Are you okay?”

“What were you thinking?!” Twilight demanded, instantly upon the pegasus that had stopped her, “Why would you do that!?”

As always, Tager’s blank expression gave nothing away as she stayed silent. With her intentions masked, and the clock all but run out, again, Twilight knew where her priorities lie. Without a word, she took off towards the exit...

“What are you doing?” Marco moved in to stop her from leaving, “You can’t go out there... it’s already too-”

“No, there’s still time!” Twilight cried, intent on saving Quicksilver, “Get out of the way... I can still-”

She struggled past his guard, and even as Applejack joined the scene, Twilight forced her way past and back outside. Sharing a quick look, Marco and Applejack followed close behind, intent on returning her to the safety of their shelter. Even in the background, Torrin made to join the effort, but oddly enough, Tager touched a steady hoof to his side, wordlessly instructing him to stay put with her.

Barely outside, Twilight lent on the side of the entrance to the structure, steadying herself against the quaking earth. Her eyes struggling to focus properly, it took her a few seconds to locate Quicksilver.

But with those last few seconds gone, so too was her opportunity. Her efforts for naught and her time well and truly up, the disaster that had been looming ahead finally arrived upon Mistmantle with all of its terrifying force.

* * * *

Rolling hills and stretching rivers passing underneath in a blur, a dark shape flying too fast to be properly seen cut a clean path above the calm sky. Like a shadow passing over high above, its trajectory didn’t waver an inch, moving in a direct, straight line towards the horizon.

With her dark wings splayed wide, carrying her quickly across the clear blue sky, her shadowy figure stuck out harshly against the bright light of day. It had been such a long time since she’d known such a sensation, but this time, she paid no mind to the freedoms of the wild blue yonder.

“C-an... Ca-n you... hea-r me-?” a familiar voice crackled in her ear, delivered by some mysterious force, “Princess... L-una?”

“Yes.” she closed her eyes quickly and calmly, relaying her own message back, “What is it, captain?”

Luna kept her eyes closed as her reply came, the message clearer and more detailed this time. Shining Armor’s voice echoed in her mind for a few long moments, and once it was gone, silence took its place as what he’d said sunk in.

“I understand.” she finally said, her eyes opening and expression setting into an intense scowl against the incoming wind, her wings locking as her speed suddenly increased...

“I’m on my way.”