• Published 4th Sep 2015
  • 569 Views, 7 Comments

Hearts and Hooves - Gemini Sparkle



Hearts and Hooves day is approaching in Ponyville. Come read how different couples experience and handle this special day. Several different ships occur and overlap in the chapters. Ships include Sparity, Twixie, Flutterdash, and more.

  • ...
8
 7
 569

Chapter 2 - Heartwarming

Several weeks have passed with Rarity stuck inside of the Boutique from sunrise to sunset, perfecting gowns and suits for practically all of Ponyville. Come the eve before Hearts and Hooves day, everypony came to pick them up, without one unsatisfied customer. Now the morning sun rises on Hearts and Hooves day. Its yellow rays sink into Rarity’s bedroom, hitting her eyes and causing her to stir. With a groan, the fashionista slowly climbs out of bed and goes downstairs. Despite it still being a mess, it looked much emptier now that all the outfits that she’s made were removed from the room.

She slowly wanders into the kitchen and starts making herself some coffee and her eyes drift towards the windows. She sees several ponies already pairing up with their loved ones and heading out for a day of togetherness. With a heavy sigh, her horn glows and she closes the curtains. She grabs her mug, heads back into her work room, and decides to clean up before spending the day doing nothing.

As she started to work, she thinks back to her treatment of the one creature that showed concern for her well being over the past few extremely busy weeks, and she felt regret for rejecting the purple dragon as she did. It was completely unfair of her to take her stress, anger and hatred of this particular day out on him, especially since he clearly just wanted to help. Her thoughts are interrupted, however, when she hears a knock at her door. ‘Probably just a last minute attempt at a date’ she thought with a huff. She went over and opened the door, only for her jaw to drop. Fancy Pants was there, with Hoity Toity and Photo Finish right behind him. The Canterlot stallion looks over Rarity and gives a little smile.

“oh my. I’d have thought that the pony we were to order dresses from would look a little more professional when we came to visit.”

Rarity looks down at herself. Wearing her fluffy pink robe and slippers to go with her bedhead, she looked like nothing she’d expect of a professional either. She sheepishly smiles at Fancy.

“Eh, hehe, I’m sorry, I-I didn’t know I wa-was to be expecting you. Hehe. Um, wh-why don’t you come in and make yourself at home while I, uh, go get dressed…” She suddenly vanished as she went upstairs once more.

She slaps on her usual makeup attire and dresses in one of her spare outfits for the ponies downstairs, her mind racing at the idea that all three of them were in her boutique right now. By the time she returns, she finds all three of them looking around her studio. She has to stop and breath a few times before finding the ability to walk all the way downstairs.

“An interesting choice of fabric you have here, Rarity. Slightly cheaper, but still very refined looking, and it feels magnificent.” Hoity compliments, examining the rolls she has.

“Oh, why thank you, Hoity. I have to keep my mind on finances, but I can’t ignore the call of finer materials.” Rarity looks around, “I don’t mean to offend, but…why are you all here?”

Fancy looked a little shocked, “I beg your pardon, but when you said you didn’t know we were coming, I thought you were joking.” He turns to face her with another smile, “See, we were told that you were the sole proprietor of the fine elegant fashion that hits Ponyville this time of year, and told it’d be a good idea to look at what you create.”

Rarity stares at him, moving her gaze from the stallion to Hoity and Photo as if expecting one of them to break it to her that it’s a joke. When both of them nodded in agreement, she felt her face split into a wide smile, “Oh, I’d be delighted to show you what I did! Obviously I don’t have the dresses themselves, but I can show you my designs!”

The morning passed in a flash. Several hours that would have been spent brooding was instead focused on spending time with ponies Rarity highly regarded and basking in how they showed such appreciation and approval of her work. By the time noon rolled around, her usually depressed attitude for the day was replaced with pure glee, despite knowing she has big orders to fill once more.

“Oh thank you so much for coming! You have no idea what it meant to me.”

Hoity nods to her, “Not a problem at all, my dear. We look forward to the delivery of your fantastic creations.”

As they made to head out Fancy stopped at the door and turned to Rarity. He held out his hoof, an envelope in it, “Oh, this is for you. The one who suggested we come here asked us to deliver it before we left.”

Rarity takes the envelope and lets them leave. She finds a card inside and is a little bewildered that the card is blank on the cover. She opens the card and gives a loud gasp: A ponyville spa coupon for their Premium Service. Rarity’s only managed to afford the Special Service, but she’s always wanted to see what the premium involved. Moving the coupon aside, she reads the text within the card.

“A day of love for one like you

Should be one that’s special and memorable too

So after the start to your wondrous day

Featuring your hard work put on display

A trip to the spa is what’s in store

To relax your weary and tired form

The coupon’s good now, so don’t be absurd

Go enjoy the comfort that you surely deserve”

Rarity stares at the card. It wasn’t anything like the pieces of trash she usually sent to the rightful place of the garbage can. Sure rhymes aren’t rare for hearts and hooves day cards, but this one was personally written, has no signature, and was just telling her to enjoy herself rather than asking her to go out with the one writing it.

Feeling a bit of admiration for the pony who sent the card, she floated it over to rest on the kitchen table. With the coupon floating in her magic hold beside her, she finally dared to trot out of her house into the sunny day. She makes her way through ponyville without a second thought or care for the couples she passes. The joy of a Hearts and Hooves that’s actually going well for her for once making her immune to her usual unhappiness.

She presents her coupon to Lotus, and she’s treated to the best visit to the spa she’s ever had. The weekly usual for her and Fluttershy kept her relaxed and beautiful looking, but the additional and more detailed treatments she gets makes it an experience she won’t forget soon. Aromatherapy, more massage work, a more expensive but even more effective and wonderful-feeling body-wrap. It just got better and better.

Finally when she was left in a special hot tub with daisies and extra expensive minerals floating with her, her attention was drawn to Aloe. The pink Spa mare presented her with a small box, making Rarity tilt her head in confusion. “What is this?”

“Well, the one that got you the treatment dropped this off and asked us to give you this instead of the usual fruit that comes with the treatment.”

Rarity’s brow rises at this and looks at the box again. She notices that it, too, came with a blank card. She takes the card and opens it to read the next rhyme that she’s been given.

“It must be nice getting what you earned

But an empty stomach shouldn’t be ignored

I figured that you could use something to eat

And I’m sure that you’ll love this special treat.”

Rarity sets the card down and removes the lid of the box. Inside appears to be a bunch of chocolate. Despite her caution that this is rather too generous for her mysterious generous pony, she takes one of the chocolates out and puts it into her mouth to chew on it. Her eyes suddenly go wide and her mouth starts to drool. She gazes down at the box, “H…how?”

It’s Aloe’s turn to look confused at Rarity, “How what?”

“How did he know my favorite candy? I mean, I absolutely LOVE chocolate covered cherries!”

Aloe shrugs, “Seems you got a special somepony looking out for you.”

“I guess so! I don’t know who this pony is, but I’m really starting to like him!” Rarity leans back into the spa tub and pops another candy into her mouth. She smiles widely as she chews, and starts to imagine just who this mysterious generous pony is.

Rarity leaves the spa feeling more refreshed, rejuvenated and happy than she’s ever been on Hearts and Hooves day. She’s practically skipping as she makes her way back to the Boutique, content with spending the rest of her day with the windows open and the sun shining on her. But as she approached her place, she notices she’s got yet another surprise waiting for her. Right in front of her door is a big white box tied in a purple bow.

She gets excited and races forward with a silly little giggle. She finds yet another card there as well, and her eyes dart from the card to the box to decide which to open first. Figuring it’d be rude to open the box, she goes with the card.

“There is still so much left for you

To ensure you have a proper Hearts and Hooves

Now that you’re rested and back in full health

It’s time to dress up and show off yourself

With all the clothing you bust your rear to make

Here’s an outfit of your own to impress those in your wake”

Rarity’s eyes bulged at that and looked down at the package. Somepony made a dress for her? She was slightly concerned for how the dress would appear. She stares at the box with uncertainty about opening it and looking inside. Eventually her curiosity wins over her worry, the unicorn popping the box open and pulling the dress out. She slowly opens her eyes to look at it, and yet again she’s blown away by what she’s received.

It’s a gorgeous red outfit, a perfect blend between a cocktail dress and a high class evening gown. Royal red with gold lace and trimmings expertly sewed in using an elegant pattern. It apparently came with matching hindleg shoes and foreleg gloves. She couldn’t help but gaze at it for a while, feeling as if it’s a design she herself would make for an extremely important client.

She takes in the beautiful piece of clothing, turning it around to observe it from every angle she possibly could. Then she looks down and notices yet another card inside the box.

“If you’d rather not wear it, that’s alright

I just thought you’d want it for tonight

For I’ve made reservations of the personal kind

By booking a spot on observation hill outside

There I’ll be waiting at half past eight

If you are willing and able to join me for a date.”

This particular card and message had brought various and conflicting emotions to the white unicorn. She was outraged that all this has led to yet another date proposal. And yet…and yet all that happened had made her interested in accepting the invitation. It sounds like he’s already going to set up, whether she comes or not.

She looks down at the dress and back at the card, her mind working as she decides whether she’ll go or not. On one hoof, again, it’s just an invitation. She’s rejected plenty in the past. But on the other, with all that this pony went through for her today, she should at least show her appreciation for it. With that thought in mind, she went inside to get herself ready for her Hearts and Hooves date.