• Published 27th May 2012
  • 5,541 Views, 845 Comments

Fallout Equestria : New Roam - Delvius



The city of Roam is tortured by ambient and open hostility. Finally, a Praetorian arises to protect the city like the Legionnaires of old, and nothing will stop him. Nothing but himself, that is.

  • ...
36
 845
 5,541

Introductions and Volume I Marker

FALLOUT EQUESTRIA : NEW ROAM

By Delvius

VOLUME I

The Praetorian Rises

Goldwreath has wanted only to escape the tediums of his safe and secure life. All he wanted was to live life like others did -- loved, noticed, and talked to. Perhaps he has gotten more than he asked for, and now the city of Roam itself begs for the assistance of one who would brave its walls and gates. Fire rains from the mountains, monsters of ungodly make prowl the south, and the ancient Legions of the greatest empire on the planet itself all stand between him and what had been the simple task of helping the people. Adding to his struggle are beings that seek to corrupt his very will and mind and to turn his own thoughts against him. Against all these, Goldwreath is powerless to stand up and he is by no means capable of accomplishing anything under this strain...

... on his own. He has companions; some friends, some not. Whatever the case, with their help, he might stand a chance in the city of war. With their help, the Praetorian rises.

INTRODUCTION

Once, upon the glorious hills of Roam...

... There came a time of peace and prosperity, brought about by the values of trade and commerce, of diplomacy and military strength, of personal worth and scientific advancements. Safety was abundant, and speech was unhindered. Culture and the ideals of a perfect society spread, and through it came the greatest civilization of the world...

... But there came a time when the values of Roam gave way to poverty, greed, violence, destruction; when war, above all else, became a tool used for nothing other than destruction of legacies. When the hearts of Roamans became tainted, the world they built crashed with them into fiery abyss, never to return to the glorious past of gold and silver. The world died. War broke loose, uncontrolled and savage -- reckless hate. Balefire rained from the sky and burnt to a crisp any and all who stood, helpless, watching with open eyes as the doom brought about by their leaders washed over them, and removed them all from existence...

... The world fell silent, punctuated by the collapse of greatness...

... But it was not, as even Roam had thought it to be, the end of the civilized world. The apocalypse didn't come in earnest; the Reaper had yet to awaken from his slumber. Instead, all the apocalypse managed to do was start the world over: from barbarians we rose, and to barbarians we return. Raiders and slavers roamed the wastes, preying on any and all, stealing and murdering. And then, without their Legions to protect them, even the remnants of Roam's civilized were prey like all the rest...

... Yet on the day of the New Roam, one being emerged from the sealed steel jaws of Stable 50, from whose depths he had learned all he needed to restore what once was. And with ambition burning in his heart, he sought to rebuild; to leave a city of burnt brick and stone a city of gleaming marble...

... For himself, and for the Glory of Roam. Imperator Et Populusque Roamanus...

...

...

... And the stars laughed, for their plans were just beginning.*BEEP*

"It is recording, Goldwreath. Please be quick, we don't have much time."

"... We are so, so fucked."

"Goldwreath?"

"How did this happen, Tom? Why is... all this... happening? I wish that none of this happened to me. I... I just wish that none of this had happened."

"Heh, so do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. And maybe the reason that all this is happening to you is because you were meant to do this. And perhaps that is an encouraging thought."

"Maybe... hey, wait. Oh crap, I hope you didn't read... uh, hear that. Shit, is this thing even recording? Oh it is, crap. Okay okay, let me try that again. Ahem."

"Indeed."

"Whoo, okay. Ahem. Greetings citizen of Roam, or from whatever group of this Earth you come from -- it matters not, I welcome you. I must hurry this up, as I'm going to be very busy very soon. My friends and I have got a LOT to do right now, let me tell you. But I can put that off for a while, to tell you what we've done in a span of... two and a half months? It seemed so much longer than that. Maybe it's my screwed up brain, or I'm really just getting bad at telling time."

"But first, a little about me. I was raised in Stable 50, a Stable all the way in the Zebra capital of Roam. It was also a museum, mostly of something called the ancient Zebra 'Roaman Empire'. Apparently, it was an ancient empire that conquered the whole archipelago and some lands to the north. It was from here that I got this really useful device caled a Pipbuck, and it saved my life more than once. It has quite a number of awesome features, like an E.F.S, or Eyes Forward Sparkle. It basically tells you where a living being is and whether it's hostile or not. Although, I never used it much in the Stable, and even out in the wasteland. Hell, it even has some freaky time slowing spell called 'S.A.T.S'. I barely ever used that much either, though. Meh, add it to the list of bad choices I made."

"But, I'm getting ahead of myself. My name is Goldwreath. Grade A bastard and selfless hero at the same time, if what I've done and what my friends tell me are any indication. I'm currently sitting on my flank... no, wait... I should probably let you find out for yourself, shouldn't I? Anyway, I have to make this quick, so let's just continue."

"First off, we're in a lot of trouble at the moment. I can't really get into the specifics right now, but you'll find out the further into my story you get. I just hope that... that you're alive when you read this. And we aren't just in trouble from bad ponies or zebras or griffins, or what have you. No, we're in trouble from something even greater. Suffice it to say that what's about to happen is most likely the dumbest thing I'll ever do, or the one thing that'll make up for the things I did and save these people."

"As I sit here, thinking back at what I've done, only ONE question comes to mind: How did all of this happen? To expound, how did all this; the apocalypse, the war, the destruction, and the killing happen? How did the series of events that leveled the world happen? And why is there about to be a series of events that will rebuild it? Is it just some game? Some kind of sick, sadistic joke? Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. But if it is, then I want to be a player. I want to change the rules. Even if the rules can't be changed."

"Because some things are just worth fighting for."

"Now, before I stop, I'll say a few things about the people, the ponies and zebras, who've made the last two months the damn best months of my life. And considering what's about to happen next, that's going to be a long time. But trust me when I say that they're memories worth remembering, no matter how crappy they may be at times."

"They're a crazy bunch. How they even managed to work together so long to get me where I am now is still a mystery I'm pondering. They are a diverse group, some of them are pleasant and friendly (to a degree), while the others are... the type of people you want to shoot until their bodies are a mangled mess, then burn their remains with blue fire."

"But what can I say? They're all good people. All of them. No matter what they've done. No matter what they'll do next. The things I've done... I don't deserve to be their friend. But don't tell them that, or else I'll get another lecture. But, considering where I'm headed... I guess I'll really miss their lectures."


"Now, I probably should tell you what happened now, right? Alright... where to begin..."

Author's Note:

This intro came in several months after the story itself was published; what do you guys think of it?