• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 888 Views, 13 Comments

The Sides We Choose - Frost Bear



Short stories about the lives of ponies in the middle of the Lunar Republic vs Solar Empire war. What do they think of the state things are in now. Was their decision right? How will the side they chose effect Equestria?

  • ...
3
 13
 888

An Artist's Duty

Rarity sighed as she walked through the crowd.

This entire conflict took a lot out of her. The stress of not knowing where her little sister was was one thing. Now she was the center of jealousy between Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo over Spike. Whom she rejected.

“Element of generosity…” she whispered to herself.

She glanced over the bandaged soldiers. Clear sword wounds and bullet holes covered them from head to hoof. Mud and blood stained their armor. A ghastly site. Had Sweetie Belle been in Appleloosa during that attack… she didn’t want to think about it. Then she thought about Apple Bloom. The poor filly was in the middle of that battle. What if a soldier killed her?! The certainly didn’t show mercy to anything, ANYTHING in the market riot. Her poor cat was proof of that.

“Praise Celestia! Goddess of light!” several guards cheered with ponies.

These were the ones defending them? Hyper fantasied thoughts polluted this town worse than slime in a garbage pail. Sweetie Belle shivered with fear. Rarity attempted to comfort her but was rejected with a harsh glare. Despite Twilight’s words, the three young ones still held anger towards her.

“We should have Saint Twilight attend a teaching session at the school. Many foals still adore Luna and that forsaken book,” a town pony told his friend.

“Maybe it’d be best to go to her palace? Make it a place to worship her majesty for an entire day?”

“We’d have to get approval of that.”

Rarity shook her head. The closer she got to her store, the crazier these ponies got.

After bearing through the zealous mad ponies and blood thirsty guards, she wished she was with them.

Everypony, everypony glared daggers at her. What had she done to deserve this?! First Sweetie, Scootaloo, and Spike hated her now EVERYONE looked like they wanted to burn her for witchcraft. She saw Lyra and Bon Bon sneer at her. A guard chained them and was taking them to Twilight. Cheerlie was drinking with Berry Punch. Judging by the amount of mugs one would think Berry drank too much again. However, she was more sober than Rarity was. Cheerlie planted her muzzle in her mug at the site of the white unicorn. The spa twins, Aloe and Lotus, gloomily shuffled with Bulk Biceps. The hulking stallion knocking her down by ‘accident.’ But worse out of all of them were the cakes. Oh how she wished the she didn’t see the cakes.
They carried their infants loosely. Neither had color on them nor did they retain any emotion they previously had. They looked… dead… cold and unfocused as if a changeling sucked out their very souls. The foals cries shattered her ears. She wished the crying stopped. She wished to end it by any means necessary. She was inches away from the cakes and saw the most horrifying expression in her entire life. Mr. and Mrs. Cake had glazed eyes, frowns, unmated fur, unruly hair, and bile dripping down their tear stained faces. If only the twins looked like them. Sweetie Belle fainted when she saw the little ones.

The trek had proved taxing on her. She now visibly showed her stress one hundred fold. Her eyes stained black, her coat dusty, and her mane gone wild. Sweetie looked like her usual self, much to Rarity’s confusion and concern. She was thankful to be back in her home but was disappointed in its state.

After the riots, it became a disaster. No longer did her boutique appear as a welcoming home to the latest fashion. These days, her precious boutique was a ruin. Planks of wood held up what little it could. Shattered windows presented jagged teeth of glass. The roof lost most of its tiles. And the horses that happily circled the building were gone. Burned, destroyed, or stolen, it didn’t matter how they were all gone. The side of the little shop was painted with the Lunar Republic symbol with the word ‘traitor’ in bold red paint spreading across her door. Now a mere saloon style gate.

What surprised her was the Solar Empire guard walking out of her desolated store with an enraged glare.

“Are you the owner of this shop?” he barked.

Rarity and Sweetie flinched, “Y-Yes, I am… What’s left of it anyhow…”

“Care to tell me why we found Lunar Republic propaganda in your home?”

Rarity’s jaw dropped, “Propaganda?! I have no such thing in my home!”

The stallion tackled her to the ground, “Filthy liar! There’s proof all over!” He dragged her inside, forcing her to her knees in the center of the room. “Behold! Lunar Republic propaganda!”

Rarity looked up and saw the dresses she had worked on since listening to Sweetie Belle’s book reading. Eight lovely blue dresses with starlight patterns spread across the center stage. They were beautiful, like the night sky or Applebloom’s banner. Her pupils shrunk to pin pricks with realization.

“You think my dresses are propaganda?! I had been working on them before this republic nonsense started!”

The stallion punched her, “Likely story, we’ll have Saint Twilight talk to you.”

Sweetie went to Rarity’s side with tears. Rarity could only whimper as she waited for her friend to help her. Her ONLY friend left.



Hours later; Twilight walked in to Rarity’s boutique with a stern frown. A crimson robe with a sun pendent draped over her. A fiery crown sat on her head with a bright red ruby in the center. She went over the dresses and walked over to her friend.

“I’m glad you’re here, Twilight,” Rarity smiled, “This brute believes I’m working for the Republic, Can you believe that?!”

Twilight held an unamused look as she narrowed her eyes at her.

“T-Twilight, what’s wrong?”

“If you’re not working for the Republic, than why is their symbol on your boutique? Why is the word ‘traitor’ painted on the front?”

“Those were the work of vandals! I had nothing to do with them!”

“Than why do you have these disgusting colors?” Twilight spat at the dresses with a venom laced hiss.

“Darling, I had worked on those dresses BEFORE this republic nonsense started. You know that! I told you about it the day Sweetie read that book to us.”

“AHA!” Twilight snapped, “You were inspired by that forsaken book! You admit it!”

“Of course I was inspired by it, Sweetie read it with such passion and that banner Applebloom made was divine.”

“That book and banner are evil! Everything they inspire is evil!”

“Twilight, that’s ridiculous!”

“No it’s not! Celestia warned us about that book!”

“No she didn’t, Twilight. We were never aware of the book until AFTER the republic nonsense started. Even then I don’t think it as evil.”

“See! It’s tainted you with a false sense of harmony! You’re becoming an anarchist like Discord!”

“Didn’t you get a letter from Celestia saying Discord joined the Solar Empire?”

The room went silent. It was true, Twilight read that letter before it was safe for Rarity to leave her home. The very manifestation of disharmony sided with them. They were the rightful rulers of Equestria! They were destined to bring peace and prosperity to the world! Why would disharmony work for them? …Unless it was harmonic disharmony? Yes, that was it, harmonic disharmony! Bringing chaos to the enemies who defied their law! Surely that was Celestia’s plan all along.

“Celestia knows what she’s doing. Discord is just a weapon against the rebels.”

“A weapon?” Rarity balked, “You think of Discord, a friend, as a weapon?!”

“He’s never been my friend,” Twilight growled.

“I’m sure Tirek would love to hear that,” Rarity rolled her eyes.

Twilight roared with rage. Every argument she had was swiftly countered. Worse was that she couldn’t go against Rarity’s logic. She may have faith in Celestia but she can’t deny logic.

“We just have to have faith!”

“Faith, faith, faith, faith,” Rarity mocked, ”You say that more times than Bulk Biceps says ‘Yeah’!”

“We just… ARguh! Fine! That doesn’t excuse you from the propaganda!”

“We JUST went over this!”

“You know what? Since you love these dresses so much you can watch them burn.”

“You wouldn’t dare…”

Twilight grinned as her horn glowed. In seconds, the dresses caught fire. Smoke exited through the open spaces that made up most of her boutique. She watched her mannequins and dresses smolder to ash. Nothing remained when the fire was put out.

“There, cleansed by fire. No need to thank me.”

Rarity sat in shock, “T-Those were made of the most expensive Moon-Spider silk. I had to give away all of my gems for it.”

“Don’t worry, Rarity. We can have a stack of red and orange fabric at your door step in a few days.”

“Red and orange?!” Rarity screeched, “Those are the only colors you’ll allow me to work with?!”

Twilight nodded, “Yes! Everpony will love the Solar Empire ware! It’s a fashion trend that will last for centuries!”

“Twilight… I’m an artist. You can’t just demand I use one color!”

“Oh sorry Rarity, did I oh… press your buttons?”

“Oh… press?” Rarity thought those words sounded close to what she was felling. She felt trapped under Twilight’s presence. She felt trapped under Celestia’s new rule. She felt… oh she felt her buttons being pressed. Anger, sorrow, hate. She felt all her buttons being pressed.

Oh pressed they were…

“Yes, Twilight you’re oppressing me!” she shouted.

Sweetie Belle finally stood up with an unhinged jaw. The guard gave a snicker. Twilight stepped back in confusion.

“Oppressing you? I’m… oppressing?” Twilight looked at the mirror. The image of the sun clashed against her naturally dark fur. She looked like a beast gift wrapped for a monster, hell bent on devouring her. Oppressed… that was a strong word to describe the feeling.

No… Rarity was tainting her mind with made up words.

Twilight shook her head, “There’s no need to make up words. I’m trying to help you!”

“Humph, only one you’re helping is yourself.”

“I’m doing what’s best for Equestria!”

“Oh really, miss ‘faithful student.’ I didn’t realize the best for Equestria was to send a thousand guards to kill my pet!”

Twilight and Sweetie gasped at those words.

“Opal’s… gone?” Sweetie began to tear up.

Rarity sighed, “Yes, Sweetie, Opal’s gone. She was such a good kitty.”

The two hugged for the first time after their heated argument. Twilight felt she should hug her as well but was rejected with a hate filled gazed.

“I’m… I’m sorry for your loss. Many ponies have died and-“

Rarity smacked her across the face. A tooth flew out of Twilight’s mouth.

“Don’t you DARE even TRY to express sympathy for me!” Rarity seethed with hate, “Imagine all the foals that were out in the market that day. Imagine all the foals in Appleloosa. Imagine how the foals that lost their parents are living now! Honestly, Saint Sparkle, I have never in all my life seen ANYPONY more selfish than you!”

“Even Blueblood?” Sweetie yelped with fear.

“ESPECIALLY Blueblood. He at least had the excuse of being a Canterlot snob and he did apologize to me days later.”

Twilight felt she was on the edge of bursting to tears. The element of generosity proclaimed that she, the element of magic, was selfish. There wasn’t a blade sharp enough to match the wound in her heart after that.

Silence gripped the room. Not even the air itself could make a noise. Twilight turned, holding back her emotions.

“I’ll have red and orange fabric at your door step soon.” she told Rarity before leaving. It wasn’t selfish of her to give that specific fabric, right? …right?




Rarity sat motionlessly on her sofa. Tubs of ice-cream littered the floor. Sweetie Belle was silent but tried to cheer Rarity up as much as possible. The sisters shared one tub of rocky road and made several jokes about a certain Pie pony. It was a simple gesture, but a valuable gesture nonetheless. Perhaps she had been selfish in her thoughts. She didn’t think about ponies that were… oppressed by Celestia’s rule. Pinkie was the strongest out of all of them and saw more than any of them. Her speech before being thrown in the dungeon was proof of that. Applejack and her family were the most prized farmers in Equestria… but… maybe they wanted to be more and Celestia denied them that right? Right… funny word. Ponies had plenty of rights under Celestia reign… before it became the Solar Empire. Then again, she can’t remember anypony putting a negative light on her. Gabby Gums merely showed she liked cake. Who doesn’t like cake?! Oh dear, she was thinking like Pinkie Pie…

Her last Lunar Republic friend, Fluttershy worried her the most. The fragile little thing felt so strong about her beliefs… she was probably dead and she didn’t know it. She could only hope Discord kept her safe. But her fears grew when she remembered what side Discord was on.

“Oh, why did Luna banish Discord from that awful republic?” she cried.

“It wasn’t awful!” Sweetie Belle frowned, “When I was there it was boring but that’s better than what went on here… What’s GOING on here!”

Rarity nodded as she grimaced at the site outside her window.

In a flash, this once peaceful loving town became a cesspool of crime. She noted a couple mares taking goods out of a dead merchant’s stall. It was finders keepers now. No one will even know what happened to the merchant. Rarity shivered at the thought of what would happen to her and Sweetie.

“Tell me about the republic,” Sweetie looked up with a raised eyebrow, “Just out of curiosity.”

“Ok…” The rest of the evening was spent with Sweetie telling Rarity how nice everypony was. How Applebloom’s cousin, Braeburn, welcomed them with open hooves. How Luna spent nights with ponies in what little free time she had. She told about the Lunar guards who played with foals in the street. Tales that seemed unbelievable to Rarity. It was as though the kindness of Equestria stayed with the Lunar Republic.

Kindness…

An image of her petite friend zapped her vision.

Was Fluttershy’s choice in this war decide who was the ‘good guys?’

Rarity shook the thought out of her mind. She asked Sweetie to describe more about the Republic. Each word made it more and more… delightful.

Sweetie continued to gloat about how honest the guards and Luna were. They never lied, not once. Everyone spoke freely! One mare shared concern about Nightmare Moon returning. Luna, apparently, invited her to a party celebrating Applejack and Pinkie’s return. They were honest, sincere, kind, and… generous.

Was she on the wrong side? Was she… a ‘bad guy?’

These thoughts didn’t sit well with her. Thankfully, Sweetie was done talking about the Republic. A mixed feeling of disappointment and relief gave her worries. She didn’t want to be thrown in prison.

She thought about Rainbow and Twilight. The only two who were dead set on Celestia. Twilight had gone insane. She was now holding religious sessions in her castle. She was an alicorn! How could she view another as a deity? Shinning Armor and Cadence replied to her letter asking for the Crystal Empire’s help with concern. Twilight was furious at the note calling her crazy. She was even more furious to learn her parents, Night Light and Twilight Velvet, left to live in the Crystal Empire.

Rainbow had not been better at all. Where she was fit an animal more than a pony. The polychromatic mare was equipped with guns and armor. She shot anything that wasn’t part of the Solar Empire. She was, most defiantly, trigger happy. She would shoot, kill, and maim what ever her line of sight caught. Even little fillies! How she could call a monster like that ‘friend’ was a mystery to her. This war and her blind loyalty turned her into an attack dog. Obeying its master without question. Only concerned with being fed.

And boy, did she feed.

It was just two days when the fabric arrived. Two guards pushed it on top of her and demanded she make more banners for the Empire. The guards watched her the entire day. Until all banners were done.

Rarity was thankful Sweetie was in school that day. Rather longer hours than before. It was nightfall by the time Sweetie came home.


“Rarity…” Sweetie chirped.

“What is it darling?” Rarity weakly called with her unkempt hair and sunken eyes.

“What was it like being Nightmare?”

Rarity flinched at the memory. She honestly wished she didn’t have those memories.

“It was like…” She pondered the words, “Being oppressed… by choice.”

“Huh?”

“I… I had to willingly accept the Nightmare for it to take over me. It forced me to do things. Say things. Things I would NEVER do.”

“Do you think that’s what happened to Luna?”

Rarity pondered, “Yes… That’s very much what I suspect Luna felt. It was obvious she felt strong pain about watching all the things she did as Nightmare,” she shivered, “And if what she told us about her time on the moon… I can’t blame her if she’s… suicidal…”

“What?!” Sweetie squeaked.

“I’m afraid it’s true… The Nightmare still retained Luna’s thoughts, after all. I saw many things from her time. It was… unpleasant.”

The room went cold with dread.

“Could it happen to Celestia?”

“I certainly hope it has.”

Sweetie Belle looked over the banners Rarity made.

“You know… Applebloom’s banner was good. But I think you could make a better one.”

Rarity scoffed, “As if I’d be ALLOWED to touch blue again.”

“Well, Luna lets us use all sorts of colors.”

“She does?”

“Yeah! This one stallion made a poster of her using red and white!” Sweetie Belle giggled, “Luna laughed about how she looked like her sister in the painting and asked if he was willing to paint her in silly poses like the one where she’s in clown makeup!” She fell to the floor laughing.

“My word, Luna sounds more like a comedian than a leader!”

“A good leader has to be willing to make their citizens happy by any means necessary.” Sweet stated absolutely.

“Maybe…” Rarity sniffed, “Maybe…”


For the rest of her time in the Empire, Rarity somberly stitched banner after banner for the Solar Empire. She watched Twilight accuse ponies of heresy. Sweetie and Scootaloo eventually made up after Rainbow returned and threw Scootaloo away like a cheap rag. The poor filly never overcame that. Spike went away in the middle of the night, much to Twilight’s dismay. He left a small note that said ‘Let me know when the REAL Twilight comes back.’ Ponyville itself was worse than before. Republic supporters grew rapidly each day. Curfews encouraged more defiance and riots broke out twenty fold. Foals ran away, leaving very few seats at school filled.

Everypony was miserable.

The Solar Empire were the good guys.

No matter how often she told herself that, Rarity knew it wasn’t true.