• Published 27th May 2012
  • 6,710 Views, 269 Comments

Scootaloo's Dreams - Broneyofnoel



Scootaloo recaps on her life, right up to the moment she is about to live her dream

  • ...
19
 269
 6,710

Ch. 14 Flight and Friend

I woke up slowly. I didn’t want to wake up; the cloud bed I was sleeping on was too comfortable. I wiped my eyes, removing the ‘sleep’ that accumulated in them. I looked over to the side of me; I noticed what time the alarm said,

9:00 a.m.

My eyes fully shot open, in the last month of my flight training, Rainbow had been making the two of us be awake at 8:30, her reasoning behind it was if she had to be up this early, so did I. I jumped out of the bed and looked out of the window.

“C’mon Scoots, I’ve been waiting forever!” Rainbow called, she sounded slightly annoyed.

“Coming Rainbow Dash!” I jumped out of the window and flapped my wings a couple times, I glided towards Rainbow.

I landed in front of Rainbow, she smiled,

“Looks like you’re getting gliding down, maybe today we could start....na.”

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing, it’s...just...Nah.”

“Tell me!” I giggled.

“Welllllllll we could, possibly...” Rainbow tried to hold in a laugh, but failed miserably, “Okay Scoots, would you like to start actually flying today?”

“YES!” I jumped in the air, and spread my wings. They had grown exponentially since I started practicing, they were more than double the size they were a month ago.

“Well then, follow me!” Rainbow spread her wings, she flapped them once and she sent herself through the layer of clouds about a hundred feet above us.

“Okay wings, don’t fail me...” I prepped to launch off of her balcony.

“Come on Scoots, just focus and push!” Rainbow raised a foreleg to the air.

I closed my eyes and focused, I knew I could do it, I’d gained so much wingpower, Twilight said when I started I had .1, but a week ago she said I had 2.3.

I did a test flap or two to make sure that I was in control. I looked up at the hole Rainbow had made in the clouds; I jumped and flapped my wings.

Again and again I kept repeating the motion, it wasn’t much work, but it took focus, I cleared the gap easily and landed on the clouds. I took a defiant stance as Rainbow looked at me.

“Alright Scootaloo, are you ready for real flying?”

“Yes Rainbow sir!” I saluted....wait a minute, did I just say ‘Sir’?

“Good, you’ll start by flying to the edge,” She pointed about 50 yards away, “And back again ten times.”

“I don’t think I can....” Rainbow cut me off,

“Don’t think! Fly!”

I unfurled my wings and flew off, the small span of clouds passed under me quickly as I flew the ten lengths, once I finished my warm up flight; I turned to Rainbow,

“What next?”

“I’m going to go get a stopwatch, in the meantime, just hang out up here on the clouds.” Rainbow said, she flew down into her house.

I walked around on the clouds for a moment, but I heard a familiar song start playing from somewhere below. An idea popped into my head,

‘What about dancing on clouds?’

My thought took over; I started to move around, just to see if I could keep my balance on a cloud. I tiphoofed along the top and jumped twice, my balance kept up, so I tried to do a full on dance.
I stopped moving and looked at the cloudy expanse in front of me, this area would be perfect for what I had in mind. I reared up onto my back two.

I moved along with the music, at first my hooves touched the cloud with every note played, but once I reached the high point, I opened my wings and spun myself in a circle, the movement of my wings was even taking me into the air! I touched down as the music went into its low point.

“Sun begins to fall...” I sang along with the song for four words.

As I continued with the song, I could feel my heart lightening up, almost if a weight had been lifted, it confused me at the same time though, what weights faced me now?

My mind was able to focus on the feeling, it was on my flank, I knew nothing was there, but I could feel something about to happen....

(Stop the Music)

“Scootaloo?” Rainbow called out, I tripped and landed on the clouds.

I stood up and brushed the brushed myself off. I looked back at her,

“Yeah?”

“What were you doing?” Rainbow looked puzzled.

I forgot, Rainbow hadn’t learned that I was a dancer, if Fluttershy had told her, she must’ve forgotten.

“I was dancing to that....” I didn’t hear the music anymore

“Dancing to what?”

“I thought I heard a song, it was really loud too.” I tried to make an argument so she wouldn’t laugh, but alas no evidence supported me.

“Bwhahahahaha....You crack me up kiddo!” Rainbow fell over laughing.

“I’m serious!” I couldn’t help but giggle a bit.

“You’re going crazy kid!”

“No I’m not!” I huffed, “What are we doing now?”

“I thought I might teach you to manipulate clouds, so when I’m not around, you can still have a platform to practice on.”

“Sounds cool.”

“Alright, so here’s what you have to do....” Rainbow started.

Over the next three hours, Rainbow showed me again and again how to pull and push clouds without making them dissipate. By the end of our practice, I was able to fully form platforms of clouds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 hours later....

“Rainbow, thank you for watching Scootaloo while I was in Manehattan.” Fluttershy said.

“No biggie, I taught her how to do more flying techniques and how to mess with clouds.”

“OH! That’s nice.” Fluttershy said kindly.

“I had fun!” I said as I walked into the room.

“Well, I gotta get home; the weather team is preparing a huge rainstorm for tomorrow!” Rainbow threw her forelegs into the air.

“Do you want to stay here?” Fluttershy asked.

My cheeks went red as Rainbow’s wings shot out from their sides. I spoke up as rainbow was trying to put her wings back at her sides,

“Uhh, Sweetie Belle asked if I could stay over.” It was a lie, but I was sure that I could convince Sweetie Belle to let me stay.

“Umm,” Fluttershy debated over the idea for a moment, “I think that would be a good idea, do you?” She looked at Rainbow.

“Yeah! Great...great idea.” Rainbow blushed.

“So I guess I’ll go see Sweetie Belle then....”I back stepped out of the house.

I closed the door and opened my wings; I looked over each one to make sure that I’d be able to fly. With my pre-flight checks done, I flew off from my house, leaving my flirting parents behind me.

After three or four minutes of flying, I reached the Carousel Boutique; I landed in front of the large building and tapped on the door with my hoof.

Rarity emerged from behind the door with a smile,

“Welcome to Carou...Scootaloo, what are you doing here so late?”

“Well Rainbow and Fluttershy....” I didn’t need to continue, Rarity nodded.

“Ah yes, love...” Rarity looked up to the sky for a moment, “Come in, come in!”

I followed Rarity into the boutique, she gestured for me to wait while she went to Sweetie Belle’s room to retrieve her. I looked around the room; I looked at the picture Sweetie had made Rarity before the SisterHooves Social awhile back.

“Hey Scootaloo!” Sweetie chirped as she walked down the stairs in front of Rarity.

“Hey Sweetie Belle, what’s up?”

“Trying to get my Cutie Mark in dressmaking.” Rarity cringed at her words.

“Sounds cool!” I said happily.

“Yep, now hurry!” Sweetie Belle rushed upstairs back to her room.

I ran up the stairs and slid into Sweetie’s room, who already had made a fort out of sheets pillows, and other bedding supplies. She popped her head out and turned to me,

“Captain Chicken, come in!”

“I’m not a chicken!” I jumped into the fort.

I spun and jumped through the tangled mesh of sheets, one occasionally pulling me back, this continued until I finally caught Sweetie Belle.

“Haha got you!” I teased, but then something I didn’t expect happened.

Sweetie Belle’s horn lit up and an aura encased me, it felt like a feather was on every inch of my body. The aura, or Sweetie Belle rather, lifted me up and placed me down on her destroyed bed.

“How did you do that?” I asked, amazed. I’d never seen Sweetie Belle do magic before.

“I....don’t....know!” She panted.

“That was so amazing!” I started, “You lifted me up and put me on your bed!”

“I don’t know how I did that! I just was focusing on you holding me and...and ...it happened!” Sweetie threw her forelegs over her head and fell back onto a pillow.

“Can you try to do it again?” I asked her, she popped off of the pillow.

“Let me try, what should I try on?”

“Umm, try it on the pillow!” I said excitedly.

Sweetie Belle looked at the pillow, she closed her eyes and it looked like she was putting pressure on her head. To my amazement, her horn started to glow once again, this time the pillow raised and lowered.

“You did it!” I said excitedly.

“I did?” Sweetie said dizzily.

“Yep!”

The next three hours were spent talking about the adventures of Sweetie Belle lately and my flight training, at about ten, Sweetie and I arrived on the topic of Cutie Marks.

“Did you get close at all lately?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Actually...” I started, her eyes went wide, “Today I felt something happening to my flank, it was really strange but I think it was my Cutie Mark.”

“What were you doing?”

“I was dancing to a love song on clouds...” I blushed.

“Bwhaha, are you serious?” Sweetie Belle laughed.

“Yeah, I really like dancing!”

“Dancing, you?” Sweetie Belle calmed down, “I’m glad that you know what your talent is, but dancing is something that I never pictured for you!”

“What about you, getting close?”

“Well, I like singing now; I think that’s what I like!” She shrugged.

“Sounds cool...” I yawned, “I’m getting tired.”

“How are you tired, it’s only ten!” Sweetie Belle interjected.

“Flying practices remember?” I looked at her sideways.

“Oh....so, do you want to do anything else before we go to sleep?” She asked, I couldn’t think of anything.

“Nah, I’m dead.” I flopped down on the pile of blankets and pillows that lay upon the floor.

“Okay.” She sounded disappointed, but I was too tired.

I slowly fell into a deep sleep, at first I didn’t dream, but after a while the dreaming started.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was running from a building I could remember something about a party going on inside, some sort of school party. The only problem was that the place the party was at didn’t look like a school; it looked like a sports complex.

I looked at either side of my flank, I could see my wings, but for some reason I couldn’t use them to fly. After a minute of running, I actually felt tears running down my face. I stopped at a bench and just cried, I wasn’t sure why I was sad, but I was.

“Scootaloo?” A pony walked up to me, he looked familiar.

“Who are you?” I asked weakly.

“It’s me, Sweetie Belle!” The pony’s face morphed into hers.

I shot out of my dream and sat up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What happened?” Sweetie Belle asked me, “You were crying!”

“I don’t know, I was just running away from a party and crying.” We were both puzzled.

I looked over at the window, it was still dark outside.

“What time is it?”

“Somewhere around six, I woke up to you asking me who I was and then I saw you crying.” Sweetie Belle yawned.

“I'm not tired anymore, what do you want to do?”

“Want to tell me about Star?”

“We’re all friends; he’s been here for a month! What’s there to tell about him?”

“Scootaloo, I see the way you look at him, you like him!” Sweetie smiled deviously.

“Of course I like him; he’s one of my best friends!” I said, stating the obvious.

“No!” Sweetie facehoofed, “You like him!”

“Do not!” I shot back; a blush was taking over my cheeks.

“You’re lying! And Blushing!”

I was lying, but I didn’t want to tell anypony that I liked anypony else, that would make me look all sappy.

“You’re a dancer, and you’re worried about being ‘sappy’? Sweetie asked,

“How’d you....?”

“Scootaloo, we’ve been friends for years, I can read you like an open book.”

“Oh...” I trailed off.

“So, what are you going to do?” Sweetie Belle inched closer to me.

“I have no idea.....”