• Published 25th May 2012
  • 9,463 Views, 215 Comments

Lament of a Spoon - Zytharros



Silver Spoon questions why she participates in the destruction of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
11
 215
 9,463

Fin

A tired and bedraggled silver filly walks into her bedroom and flops on the bed. She has the wildest grin on her face, exhausted from laughing and playing all afternoon. It’s towards the end of the day, and the sun is just setting over the horizon. Her room is just as neat as before, tidied up and spotless. In place of the two statuettes on the nightstand rest three new ones. Though their detail work is far from complete, one can make out the distinct outlines of three familiar school-aged fillies.

There is no other way to put it – I am exhausted. Over the past three weeks, I have done a lot to make up for the devastating blow to my new friendships… and also mended a lot of the wounds present between my old friends and new ones. That doesn’t mean they’re friends, or even that they’re talking. It just means they have an uneasy truce. I have also made an amount of money I thought would be impossible for a filly my age through my silverwork. Let’s just put it this way – the Royal Sisters pay quite handsomely for custom-designed silverware, Luna for a self-portrait especially, but that is not what I wanted to say.

The party was quite successful. Only Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle showed up, but at least they did. Apple Bloom refused to even give me a second thought. My first gut reaction was to become indignant, but I quickly squashed that feeling for one more suited to my own perceived position in Equestria. I took it in stride, having learned my lesson from observing how Diamond Tiara handled the Crusaders, especially when they dared to oppose her.

However, Scootaloo did something completely, bewilderingly unexpected at the party – she asked me for forgiveness, and she did it first! When I queried as to why, she explained that after talking it over with Apple Bloom’s sister Applejack in private, she realized I was only trying to stop them from doing to Diamond Tiara what she had done to them. I have to admit, that not only surprised me, but Sweetie Belle as well. I would never have dreamed of interpreting my actions in such a way!

Note to self – Must remember to keep Applejack in mind for future advice about life. I think Rarity is a little too cryptic for me.

After that revelation, Sweetie Belle didn’t take long to come around herself, especially with how I had proved myself to her with my actions afterwards.

“Having a party with such a yummy cake helps, too,” she had said with a chuckle.

Silver Spoon glances over her writing and smiles. “Those evening classes Mother signed me up for have made me far more like Rarity than I ever thought. I must thank her.”

It took Apple Bloom almost another two weeks to come around. With several go-arounds with her sister and her other best friends before we were able to get her to talk to me so I could apologize in person, and one final push from Applejack, I finally managed to gain her trust back. I even took two Pinkie Promises with Pinkie Pie there to witness them at Sugarcube Corner that I would not break her trust again to the best of my ability or knowledge as insurance. I even instructed Pinkie Pie to write a note for me and leave it on my door every morning. So far, she has not failed once. She even wrote me seven notes on one day, all eerily relating to every day that next week, because she was going on vacation… but that’s a different story.

Diamond Tiara’s newly-found truce, however, is… something of a shocking tale.

It was a dark and stormy night, one week ago today. Everyone in the house was asleep. Suddenly, she was awoken by sirens, then her dad screaming for her to leave. Something in their house had caught fire in such a way they could not put it out. It was swift, engulfing their whole house in a matter of half an hour. She had to stomp the fire out of her tail as she left, having brushed it against a burning bookcase on her way out. She had no time to grab her favourite tiara.

Her dad ran in to find her mother while she stood outside, cold and wet in the rain, watching as everything she knew came to a crashing end. That was when I saw her – and her house.

My parents and I live a block or two down, so when we heard the commotion, we came running. Seeing the little filly shivering alone in the cold while fire carts and hoses filled with retardant appeared and snaked all over her yard filled me with compassion, even if just two nights earlier we held a fight that could have awoken the dead, and even the dead’s ancestors. After wrapping myself in a coat, I had brought an extra just in case.

It wasn’t long before the rest of town was there to help.

After a few hours of battling a stubborn blaze that licked up the very rain that fell on it as if it were an ice cream cone held by a hungry foal, the fire fighters pulled both her parents out of the flaming wreckage. Her dad was unconscious. The firemen and paramedics on-site had said he had inhaled too much smoke, but they also believed he would be okay.

Her mom, however, had joined the ranks of those in the afterlife.

The stunned look that Diamond Tiara possessed showed that she had just been shattered. Her mind, her heart, her world… it was now non-existent. She watched as the Apple family, specifically Apple Bloom, did what they could to help. Scootaloo also came to her rescue with her fire-fighter mom. Sweetie Belle and Rarity showed up fashionably late, but pitched in to help all the same. She watched as her house went up in flames, even to the best efforts of everyone in town.

She had no emotion as I invited her to my place. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, though still a little embittered by her wanton insults, also came over to make sure she was okay. Diamond Tiara asked why they came. Scootaloo, of course, was brashly honest. She didn’t want to come, but her mom said Ponyville always banded together in these crises. Sweetie Belle came to just do the right thing.

Apple Bloom, however, said the most profound statement of the night.

“It’s jus’ what an Apple does. We help everyone in need.”

I stared at her in shock. It was simply a part of her family’s culture to help. There was no selfishness among them when it came to other ponies. They just dug in and fought back whenever a friend was in trouble.

For most of my young life, I have observed the wealthy treating the not-as-fortunate with respect while in front of them, but mumbling insults behind their back. It didn’t feel right to me. Even I and my own father were guilty of this, especially when he hosted some of his particularly-lavish soirees. What Apple Bloom said hit me hard, and I have been thinking about it to this day. Even if they were mortal enemies, an Apple would not hesitate to help anyone, regardless of rank, status, or how mean they had been. It took a truly-callous action to make the Apples abandon you.

I now desire to emulate that value.

It has been hard to change my thought patterns. I had no idea how many thoughts this would mean rearranging, but I believe I am doing a good job at it. I have requested that of Apple Bloom – that she helps me with this mental reorganization of my actions. I cannot say I have not slipped up, but then again I am quite new to the whole honesty game, especially to the standards the Apples hold themselves to.

Now, I hope ponies can stick with me long enough to help.

Diamond Tiara still stays with us as her dad recuperates in the hospital. She is no longer the same confident friend she once was. In fact, she more resembles Fluttershy before

She shuffles her room around… “Oh, what was that bull’s name… he came and turned Fluttershy into a meanie for a while… where was that flier…?” After a few minutes, she decides just to keep writing. It wasn't that important, anyway.

that one motivational bull arrived than any other pony I have observed. She is at a loss as to what to do now. I and the Cutie Mark Crusaders have been working a lot with her to try and help her find a better place in life than that draconian leadership stuff she was doing before.

We shall find it. I know we will.

And this time, we’ll do it together.

She closes the book and chuckles. The night is young, but she is exhausted and filthy. She decides to turn in early, so she departs to the bath. She finds the water running and the door locked.

She bangs on the door. “Tiara! Are you almost done in there?”

A call back. “Just a few more hours… a queen does need her beauty bath after all.”

The silver filly facehoofs and groans. She returns to her book and cracks it open to pen one last line.

…This may be harder than we thought.

Comments ( 72 )

Poor Diamond Tiara:fluttercry:

I have to agree with demonshadow. I never thought I'd say this, but I feel genuinely bad for DT. :pinkiesad2:
Anyway, I think that was a fairly good way to end the story. I guess I would have liked to see more (especially after what happened to DT), but all stories must end, I suppose, and I think you found a good place to do it.
One more thing... Pinkie is on vacation? Is this in any way related to that shipping story you mentioned, Zytharros? :raritystarry:

I want to say Diamond Tiara deserved that... But no one does.

Great story though. I always kind of figured Silver Spoon was nicer than she let on and was just kind of along for the ride.

746506
It would be... if I had any desire to write that blinkin' non-clop Trixie Pie ship I've been scouring the Internet for. :raritywink:
Then again, I don't know... I may work up an appetite for Trixie yet. :rainbowderp: Who knows?

author y u so mess with my emotions

712221

Yes it was. And I am delighted that that 'twas not the end. Like Gandalf coming back at the turn of the tide...onwards! to more Lament of a Spoon!

Bit of a harsh ending for the antagonist there...:ajbemused:

This was indeed a pretty nice story - this final chapter was just wonderful, especially that one line that Applebloom said to Tiara.
Well done to you, loved every bit of this story :twilightsmile:

wow i didnt even know that the story was still in progress i thought it was done (was it marked as complete or in progress before?) .

Karma, you brilliantly psychotic bitch you.

I both like and dislike this story... I'll tell you why in a second.
I do like to see the nice side of Silver Spoon and a glimpse at Diamond Tiara's nicer side as well. I liked how you portrayed all the characters, giving them more depth from what little the show shows us. The story is greatly written- and that's my first problem with it. It is too... grand (?!) for something a little filly would write on her diary/journal/scroll/etc. I feel like Silver Spoon is just too clever for that young age, which brings me the question: "Why now and not before?"
Sure, you explained that there was a fight between Scoots and Diamond Tiara, but Silver Spoon is a bigger filly than that; she would've "snapped" earlier, in my opinion.
And another negative thing, the quickjumps. This is more of a personal thing than anything else, so feel free to disregard it. But I certainly would want to see more of Silver Spoon's improvements rather than reading "in three weeks, the deed was almost done".
But, since the positive qualities of this fanfic greatly surpass the two negative ones, I'll give this a thumbs up.

In the possibility that you decide to expand this further, I'll keep this fanfic under my Read Later list.

746696

I couldn't say it better myself. Still, it shows just how much one incident can change a person/pony in a minute. :fluttershysad:

This was a great tale from start to finish and it showed that Silver Spoons can be an unique friends to the Cutie Mark Crusaders if the chance comes to itself.:yay:

Nice job on this tale of yours and i wish you the best of luck upon future stories.

Karma's a bitch, and it hits hard.
Shame with what happened to Diamond.

:yay:Make a sequal!

I really didn't see that ending coming...I've always had a soft spot for Diamond Tiara, and oddly enough I made a joke out of saying she was my favorite pony on April Fool's Day (which is only partially true, she's actually my fifth favorite). Silver Spoon now climbs up my ranks as well just because she's adorable AND I can see what kind of character you made her into with this story. I guess you can describe Spoon as a filly who is growing up a little too quickly, but is brilliant in many areas of life such as writing and silver crafting and whatnot. Her character actually DOES have a bit of kindness in it, as we have all read. I would sort of like to see what you can do with a similar story, perhaps with Trixie as the protagonist :raritywink: but overall thank you for a wonderful yet short read, I really liked it.

Dang.
Just... dang.

's Quite the story you have here. ^^ Loved it.

This was interesting. Silver Spoon sounds a bit precocious at times, but okay, I guess it sort of fits her.
Strange way to end the story, though. :applecry:

This needs to be an episode. Or at least the focus of one.

This is . . . well one of the most interesting things I've ever read. Keep going.

"Now, I hope people can stick with me long enough to help."
Ponies not people! nice fanfic

A very nice chapter, I'm glad silver spoon was able to make up with the cmc. :twilightsmile:

748317
:derpyderp1:
Thanks! Minor edit go!

I really don't want to see this end, but sadly, everything must come to an end. Speaking of things coming to an end, I really feel bad for Diamond Tiara, no matter how bitchy she is and how much I just wanna push her off a cliff at times, I fell nothing but sorrow, no one deserves what happened to her.

Good story. A bit jarring ending on a joke like that, just after being told that Tiara's mother actually died... But overall, a very good story ^^

Well, everyone has to start somewhere. I have high hopes for Tiara's eventual debitchification.

A most enjoyable story. Thank you for writing it.

... Dang... Tia got the short end of the stick, didn't she... Yeah, she was a bitch, but losing her mother AND her home? Heck, I'd think losing her home alone would be punishment enough... Still, brilliant! Can't tell if it's going to continue at all or not, but even if it doesn't, at least this feels like a better ending, IMO. There's still some problems to work out, but there's just enough to assume that, in the end, it'll be all right.

You've done something very weird. You've actually made me feel sorry for Diamond Tiara.

I commend you for that. Great story, great characters, great everything.

My favorite two quotes from this chapter were:

She even wrote me seven notes on one day, all eerily relating to every day that next week, because she was going on vacation… but that’s a different story.
D:

It was a dark and stormy night, one week ago today.
Dun dun duuun!


I love the loyal characterization of the Apple Family. Very in-character for them, and very heartwarming. Actually made my eyes ever so lightly watery to think of them standing by their friends and enemies in times of crisis. :')

The ending left me wishing for more - This story was so heartwarming. :twilightsmile:

that's the end? ah well, it was an amazing read while it lasted!
If you ever plan do a sequel, then I can't wait.

A very good end to a very good story i am very happy to have been following this from the start. Great job here :pinkiehappy:

746616 Good sir, we always have the harshest endings, but such is a necessity so that the author may convey the necessary morals to the reader.

That was beautiful sir, every chapter had me in the palm of your hand, and as much as I'd love to see what happens to Diamond Tiara in the end, I suppose I'll live with this bit of emptiness in my chest for a while. 10/10.

664676
I think her talent is something like "taking the lead" or "being the center of attention". That she is using it to a bully and an alpha bitch is not because of her cutie mark. After all, Rainbow Dash would make an excellent robber with her cutie mark - cutie marks have nothing to do with morality. It's because of her personality, which you described quite well.

751219
Well, you could always write the Diamond Tiara side of the story... I mean, if you want to... :fluttershyouch:
:twilightsmile:

751810 I'm afraid that's a far cry out of my skill level sir, but I look forward to your future literary endeavors.

746518 Well said. We should realize that simply being the victim of something doesn't give you endless moral high ground and make it okay to treat a person like dirt because "they deserve it". You need to be careful that when you get through an ordeal, and when the shoe is on the other foot, you actually do become a better person for it. Because a lot of times, people actually become worse for it, turning into absolute jerks.

It doesn't even have to be when the person in question is someone who did something to them. This kind of attitude can make them be a jerk to people WHO HAVE THE SAME WEAKNESSES AND/OR GOING THROUGH THE SAME STUFF THEY USED TO. Ex-alchoholics who mistakingly think that every hateful cry of "Sinner!" escaping their own lips pushes them further and further away from their own dark past. They are literally screaming at themselves.

So, just try to remember: This is Water.

I still laugh at this video, though. Does this make me a bad person?

I, for one, loved Diamond Tiara's destiny. :rainbowlaugh:

Very well done good job story line was well thought out and has a great slice of life felling in its words

You made me feel bad for Diamond Tiara. That's worth at least half an Internet in my book. Nice job, great ending. I'd love to see a continuation fro Diamond Tiara's point of view.

758634
Toying with the idea.
Toying more with an idea called "Life Around a Spoon's Lament"...

I laughed when SS facehoofed. That's so unlike her in her ways.
Nice use of her cutie mark for her talent, though. I mean, making custom silverware? Nicely done! *applause*
And the rest of the story deserves much applause, too. *applause*
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache: 5 Mustache Spikes for you.

You know it's good when you d'aww at your own story after finishing it.:twilightsmile:

Oooh, interesting development.

Even is DT is incosiderate and rude (and in some cases evil), nopony should lose their parent.

A very satisfactory conclusion

Not bad at all glad i finaly got round to reading it. a great read.

some nit picks if i may though i belive "foals" are male (under 2 persiveicaly) and that raritys advice is qestionalbley out of charector (one of them is her OWN sister (of how she is fond))

i attually really like the idea of silver spoon being a expert smith.

scootaloo haveing a firemare dame (mother) is a fitting idea. (you misst a dinkie ref i thought tho (but maybe a joke then whould have been inapropote))

also the apple phlosohy seems about right.:ajsmug:

dis is a very good fic. i rly hope theres a sequel.:pinkiehappy:

772430
I live on a horse farm and my mother-in-law has been raising horses since her early teens. I'm using the term correctly. Foals are equines younger than a year old. They're called "yearlings" when they're a year old... and some other term I've temporarily forgotten when they're two and older.

Otherwise, thank you!

778410 i ment no "Patriniusium" (serriusly that is awsome to know by the way) (i was just copy what i recalled from wikipeadia (i may now have to cheack that agin))

of cause most wellcome after all it was quite enjoyable.

786514
No harm, no foul. Just lettin' you know where I'm comin' from 'sall.

That's just perfect! *thumbs up*

Login or register to comment