• Published 19th Jul 2015
  • 494 Views, 53 Comments

Umbra Memoria - Lunaexcelsior



A terrible curse had been placed upon Darkrim and it is up to our night princess to save him. However, what she finds in his mind could change her perception of the banished prince.

  • ...
3
 53
 494

The banishment

She wanted to run towards Darkrim, to save him, but it would be all in vain.

The three gargoyles rushed quickly as Darkrim just stood there, emotionless and expressionless.

As the gargoyles placed the shackles over Darkrim’s hooves, Ares smirked, showing of the rows of his jagged teeth.

“You can’t talk your way out of this one, prince”, he spoke to prince as Luna and the guardians watched.

The night regal was horrified and Hatite could barely stand on her hooves.

Luckily, Gorgus managed to hold her in his arms.

“It’s not your fault”, he kept whispering into her ear.

Even in this state, Luna could notice Insomnia, still filled with spite, angrily approaching Hatite.

It almost looked like he was going to destroy her with that maddening gaze in his eyes.

“Insomnia, stop!” Luna yelled as she stood in front of the deranged guard.

“Why should I?! She is after all the reason this whole fiasco happened!” Insomnia screamed like a madman.

“No she is not!” Gorgus confronted him.

He was about to get his hammer out as the three felt they were being transported once more.

Luna closed her eyes as the bright light enveloped them all once again.

As Luna reopened her eyes, she could see that they were back in the throne room once more.

On the throne were now king Hadeus on the left and Queen Persephone on the right. In front of them stood Ares, as proudly as he could, Darkrim, all in shackles and attempting to make no eye contact with his parents and the three gargoyles that apprehended him.

To Luna’s left was Insomnia and to her right was Gorgus.

“Why did they capture him?” Luna asked before the trial started.

Gorgus fell silent as Hatite gave off a deep sigh.

Insomnia scoffed at her remark.

“I’ll tell you why”, Insomnia began, his long arms firmly crossed on his chest as his dark eyes gazed hollowly in front of him, “It is all because of that minx back there.”

“She is not a minx!” Hatite spoke defensively.

“Oh my mistake”, Insomnia responded sarcastically, “What should I call her then? A kind hearted angel of the heavens as you would describe her?! Please spare me. Her involvement with Darkrim brought us nothing more than trouble”, Insomnia continued, “From the sleepless nights Darkrim had because of her, through all of the fears he suffered and all culminating in this. She is nothing but a minx, but you couldn’t see that! No matter how many times I warned you, you insisted on those secret rendezvous!” Insomnia continued, but Gorgus couldn’t bare it anymore.

He noticed how distressed and hurt Hatite was.

“That’s quite enough Insomnia!” Gorgus yelled.

As the three guardians bickered, Luna watched on.

“We have brought you your son, my liege!” the general spoke with a sly grin on his face “We have caught him conversing with a light pegasus down by the Tartarus entrance.”

“I see”, Hadeus began, looking down at his son with a disappointed gaze, “Is this true prince?”

“Yes, but I—“, Darkrim tried to justify himself, but Hadeus only cut him off.

“Leave us be, Ares”, Hadeus commanded, “And free him from the shackles”.

“But your highness --“, Ares tried to protest, but Hadeus stared angrily at him.

Within his eyes Ares could feel his very soul waning away.

“Fine”, Ares said and signaled his minions to unshackle Darkrim.

“Now leave!” Hadeus yelled as Ares and his entourage quickly walked out.

As the four creatures left, Darkrim was left alone with his parents.

He looked up, finally gaining the courage to look his father in the eyes, only to see a burning gaze of disappointment peering at him.

By this point the guardians finally stopped bickering, as they watched silently the scene in front of them.

Hadeus sighed as Persephone held his hoof.

“Do you know what you have done, Darkrim?” Hadeus began slowly and calmly.

“Yes”, Darkrim replied silently.

“Oh I don’t think you do”, Hadeus, began, his anger slowly bubbling, “You have thrown your crown, you heritage and all for what? A stupid pegasus that’s what!” Hadeus continued as Persephone tried to calm him down.

“She is not a stupid pegasus!” Darkrim yelled in protest.

Hadeus scoffed.

“I am sure you think so”, Hadeus continued as he walked down from his throne and to one of his windows.

“You know what I must do now?” Hadeus continued “Your behavior has been unfit for a prince and your relationship with a light pegasus can only be seen in the eyes of the public as treason.”

“She wasn’t a threat”, Darkrim defended himself, “I loved her and I still do. I was truly happy with her. How can you punish me for being happy?” Darkrim yelled as tears welled up in his eyes.

Persephone rushed down from her throne and hugged her son.

Hadeus felt like his heart was going to break, but he knew what he had to do.

“I am sorry, son”, Hadeus began with a heavy heart, “But you know the law. I, King Hadeus, by the order of Furia, Dormius and Terragon order you to be banished from the sovereign state of Tartarus. And, this goes without saying, but, you are herby stripped of all your duties as a prince and you are to live in exile, until you have proven yourself worthy of retaking the throne! My judgment has been passed!” Hadeus finished off as Darkrim broke down in tears.

Persephone’s wings covered him as she cried in unison with her son, her cold breath barely comforting the banished prince.

Luna felt horrible that such injustice was passed down to Darkrim.

“Now you see why my rage burns for that incompetent guard over there”, Insomnia approached Luna, “She was suppose to prevent these things from happening.”

Luna glared angrily at Insomnia.

“You know I am getting pretty much sick of hearing you blame Hatite for everything”, Luna spoke with vigor, causing Insomnia to flinch, “What could she have possibly done? Perhaps she could have broken his heart so you have even more fears to deal with?”

“She could’ve stopped him from falling in love”, Insomnia mumbled.

“She is a guardian!” Luna replied “She doesn’t control his emotions!”

Insomnia wanted to retort, but instead, fell silent. He knew Luna was right. The Mind Guardians can only protect Darkrim’s inner thoughts, but they cannot control his emotions or his actions. Could he have been wrong about Hatite?

As Insomnia pondered about his misplaced anger, he began to notice something.

A shadow figure began to crawl over the walls as the memory began to fade into inky blackness.

“Looks like we have some unwanted company”, he said to Luna as the blackness began to take over.

Gorgus prepared his hammer and Hatite wiped her tears away.

The royal family began to dissolve as well and it seemed to fuse with the darkness.

Out of the infected memory, two glowing purple eyes appeared, peering back at our heroes, as it began to form the shape of a serpent. It stood at least ten feet tall glaring down at the guardians with vengeful and fearsome eyes.

“Leave this place or suffer their fates!” the serpent hissed as it showed the skeletons of different creatures all absorbed in its dark coils.

All three Memoriam Guardians looked on in horror at their fallen brethren, filling them with righteous fury.

“We shall not yield!” Luna confronted the monster.

“Then you shall perish!” the serpent spoke as it launched itself towards the guardians.

Luna and Hatite flew up while Insomnia did a back-flip and landed just away from the serpent’s mouth.

Gorgus jumped up high and took out his hammer.

He hit the serpent right in its head, forcing its upper jaw to clash with its bottom jaw, effectively penetrating it.

The serpent fell with a scream as Luna used her lightning magic to fry it.

As her scorching lightning impacted the nightmarish being, smoke arose from the serpent’s body causing Luna’s vision to be obstructed.

Once everything settled they saw the serpent lying, seemingly dead.

“Clear away from the body!”Luna commanded.

“Don’t worry he’s as dead as he could be!” Gorgus spoke from the top of the beast’s head.

As if on cue the serpent began to rise, causing Gorgus to jump off from it.

“But how is this possible?” Gorgus watched in awe.

The serpent swiped its tail, knocking Gorgus off from his feet.

It moved in for a strike, but Insomnia jumped in.

He swiped the malicious being with his cane, making it flinch. The serpent moved its attention away from Gorgus and began chasing Insomnia.

As he ran away, Insomnia began to transform into Nightmare Moon once more.

He made it just in time, as he flew up to Luna and Hatite.

However, the shadow serpent’s revenge was not yet complete as it grew wings of its own and began chasing Insomnia. He attempted to shoot any magic he could, but it only made things worse.

The best grew ever faster and Insomnia was already beginning to make amends with his fate.

Just as the serpent began to close in on him a beam of light came crashing down into the serpent, effectively causing it to fall back to the ground.

Insomnia looked to where the beam came from, only to see Hatite standing there.

“You saved me”, Insomnia spoke baffled by her actions, “and after how I treated you—“, he tried to apologize, but Hatite cut him off.

“Save your excuses for when we are not fighting for our bare lives!” Hatite yelled back and winked at Insomnia.

Luna noticed Hatite’s magic had severely injured the serpent.

She quickly approached her.

“You know light magic?” Luna asked in confusion.

“Well yeah”, Hatite replied, “I am the guardian of love after all. Light magic runs through my blood.”

As she said that Luna instantly hatched a plan to defeat the shadow beast.

“Insomnia get over here”, Luna commanded. Insomnia, in his Nightmare Moon form, flew over to Luna.

“Yes?” he asked.

“I will need you make sure the serpent chases you towards me and Hatite, mouth first”, Luna explained. Insomnia gave her a look of bewilderment.

“Are you insane? It would kill you!” he protested.

“Don’t worry”, Luna reassured him, “If everything goes according to plan we should be rid of the monster. Make sure Gorgus rides it, so we can assure that snake goes mouth first towards us. Got it?”

“Yeah, I got it”, Insomnia responded as he flew down to Gorgus to inform him of the plan.

“Okay, now for the tricky part”, Luna said to Hatite, “I will need you to cross horns with me. When I say “NOW!” you will launch the strongest light magic you can. Paired with my lightning it should hit the core of the creature and destroy it on the spot! Do you understand me?”

“Yeah, I understand you”, Hatite replied, “Let’s do this then!”

Luna nodded her head as the plan was put into action.

Meanwhile, on the ground, Insomnia was explaining the plan to Gorgus.

“They want me to ride that ting?” Gorgus protested.

“Yes and there’s not too much time! It’s already beginning to wake up”, Insomnia tried to speed him up.

Gorgus quickly jumped on the serpent’s head, preparing his sword.

“I hope they know what they are doing!” Gorgus thought to himself as the shadow beast awoke.

“Well here goes nothing”, Insomnia thought to himself.

“Hey Black Adder!” Insomnia screamed at the awoken serpent “You still haven’t caught me, you incompetent slithering slob.”

A vengeful fire burned in the serpent’s eyes as it began to once again chase Insomnia, barely paying attention to Gorgus, who was firmly planted on its head.

Insomnia kept the creature in check, making it follow him, with its vicious jaws still closed.

He quickly approached Luna and Hatite.

As he did so, Insomnia made a sharp turn downwards, but Gorgus kept the serpent in check, stabbing it with his sword.

As the blade pierced through the monster’s skull, it unleashed a hellish scream, opening its jaws fully.

“Now!” Luna yelled as both she and Hatite began to fuel their magic.

From their horns exited a bright beam of light, like a spear, and entered the serpent’s esophagus.

Like a guided missile the beam quickly found the serpent’s core striking it down from the inside.

In one bright explosion the serpent unleashed all of the energy it had, releasing all that it had trapped.

The explosion was the biggest one Luna had yet seen as she closed her eyes and prepared for the final fight.