• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 2,189 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's journey - Skarsnik



Follow the story of Spike and his assitant helping a lost lavender alicorn

  • ...
11
 53
 2,189

Chapter 1 - Home

Spike was walking to his hotel, even if really, it was more a house than a hotel, but he always called where he was living, a hotel. It was a way for him to not get too attached to the place he was traveling. No, calling a house by its proper definition was too close to calling a place home. And he had nothing he could really call home anymore.

He had had many homes, his room at Canterlot Castle, the plain but warm library of Ponyville, the beautiful palace of the crystal empire, but really it could have been anywhere. He was missing something at every place he was going, each place was missing something, not really something, but someone, someone who cared for him, who raised him.

I really miss Twilight, why do I miss her so much? I am a dragon, dragons spend most of their life alone, does that mean I am supposed to enjoy being alone? No! I hate being alone, but that doesn’t explain why I miss her. And it’s been long since she is... gone.

Spike shook his head and tried to focus on his surroundings. It was a nice town with plain houses, each one of them reflecting their inhabitant’s life or her purpose. Here a colorful one for a couple of artists. Another full of flower pots hooked at every window and wooden beam, for it was the florist of the town.

Spike was heading to one of the houses close to the city hall, the house was small and plain with only the town sigil near the door and an Equestria flag on top of it. It was past sunset so the streets were empty, but during the day the town was very lively, especially the morning. The local farmers selling their product at the market, chatting with their customers or their friends. Parents bringing their foals to school. All of that with the sweet smell of fresh bakery being made for the day.

It was peaceful, and what some ponies could call a perfect country town. Spike hated it. He preferred the busy gaudy Canterlot, the Crystal Empire, even high crowded city like Manehattan or even the worst remote small town near Stalliongrad. No, these country towns looked too much like... Ponyville.

Most ponies can forget their past, forget what they have done a week ago. No, actually that is not true, they don’t really forget when something important happens, they remember, although they probably don’t remember everything, merely the sensations or the major parts. Like if you asked the ponies of Ponyville about the return of Nightmare Moon, they would probably describe the dark evil alicorn that appeared out of nowhere as a dark princess with a crazy laugh, and they would tell how afraid they were, but if you asked what she was wearing exactly or what was said this day, they probably wouldn’t remember or they would have to search their memory.

Spike was no pony, no, he was a dragon, and he knew why some ponies consider dragons wise: they have a very good memory. It’s not that they remember everything whenever they want, but when they remember something it can come in full, every detail, every sensation. Spike would not lie, it was useful for his studies, but it was also a curse. If anything would make him remember an event, and he got lost in his memory, he could remember everything. So he knew that when he went to a country town, it would eventually remind him of all his days at Ponyville even if he tried to avoid them.

It wasn’t so bad. It was happy memories, even the hard times when Twilight and her friends had to defeat some major threats and he was worried staying at the library, that always ended with some hugs. But if he let himself get lost in these memories, it would lead to the day he lost everything that really mattered to him: the day he lost Twilight. Over the years he had lived new happy and sad moments, losing a friend was not easy but he knew he could make new ones, that was his way to move on. But losing Twilight was losing something he couldn’t get again, he was losing the only person that was close to a mother to him.

Trying to stop thinking too much about the past, Spike hasted his pace while focusing his thoughts on tomorrow. Hm, tomorrow, let’s see, I have to remember to bring that book. I hope this time Emerald will want to try to do more than just being my assistant, there is also another stupid meeting, I don’t even understand why the mayor wants us to be there...

What was that? A tingly sensation on Spike’s back made him stop. A small crack of mauve light started to appear in front of him. A teleportation matrix? The crack started growing slowly brighter, This is very slow, it is either big or comes from very far. Finally, the light made place for a blinking sound that marked the end of the spell.

Spike couldn’t believe his eyes, standing in front of him was a small purple mare standing on her four shaking legs, her horn still imbued with residual magic. Her mane was a dark blue mess, but Spike could still distinguish the two-colored streak of purple and red pink that belonged to-

“Twi...Twilight?” with a bit of shock and surprise in his voice, Spike finally managed to say.

“Spike, I...” was all the purple mare managed to reply before her shaking legs gave up, her eyes closed and felt unconscious on the cold grass.

Spike began to panic but seeing the mare’s chest rise and fall slowly, he managed to calm himself a bit. Still in disbelief, he paid more attention to the mare, she was not small, no, she was in a bad shape. He could see all her ribs through her coat and she was shaking too, but after he saw the star-shaped cutie mark on her flank, all his worry disappeared for the moment.

Spike took a deep breath and grabbed the mare with his arms, he was so happy now, he didn’t bother wondering why there were now wings on her back. No, it was Twilight, his Twilight.

“Don’t worry Twilight, I am bringing you... home.”