• Published 7th Jul 2015
  • 491 Views, 2 Comments

The Cost of Pride - Haunting You



Years after The Promised Day, Pride's memories return to him. Father was long gone, underestimating a human had costed him. The same way it costed himself. Now finding himself in a new container- And in a new world he must figure out what to do.

  • ...
2
 2
 491

Chapter 1

The rain fell harshly around me, the soggy feeling of the hair on my container being matted down on my body felt quite unusual- and not how I really should feel. I know what my own body, fake or not feels like. Above me, high in the air were flashing arches of neutron light that danced in the darkened sky- also known as lightning.

Crackle!

The sound of thunder boomed wildly through the air, I had never opened my eye lids. Anyone could see lightning without opening their eyes. It was much too bright. Still without moving, or so much as breathing(Not that I needed to, that's for foolish mortals), I willed the shadows to slither from their hiding place on the ground- forming a wall to cover my container from the rain as to avoid getting further wet. Calmly, I opened my eyes to assess the obvious damage I would have sustained from being in this random place and how I would have gotten here. I seemed to be in some clearing- trees surrounding me at every turn- but not so much foliage to block my sight of the sky which rained down upon my already drowned parade. How had I gotten here?

Struggling, I tried to force memories through my head in high hopes that perhaps I could remember what had gotten me into the situation- I found nothing, and that was strange. I tried to get a feel for my new container, it certainly felt like a warped and twisted version of my old one.

This small childlike container, sure enough was similar to my mines. Though, I suppose this one would be my own as well now. Obviously, whatever I was- Was the dominant species of this rock-ball of a miserable planet I was likely on. Blending in is of high priority. Due to my small stature, I was already able to assume I was a child.

Sitting upright on my butt, I tried to force myself into a standing position- which did nothing but make me lose my balance; I fell flat on my face. It didn't really hurt, nothing did. I've been through hundreds of years of the most intense pain any mere lower meat sack mortal could ever claim- All in the name of Father.

Father...

Rolling around on the ground to stare back upward at the shadow of a wall I'd created, I waited for an answer. An epiphany that could solve this crisis. It all came back to Father.

Where was he?...

Dead...

Gazing to my right, I spotted a small puddle. Working my way on my fours, I crawled pitifully like a newborn over to said puddle and looked into it. There, was a reflection of...

Of...

What I could only call a horse, or... Ugh, a pony. My coat was an ochre color, or that could be all the dirt staining it mixed with mud and water. Said coat was matted down by the rain and mud. My hair was much longer than I recall it being- reaching down to my 'shoulders'. My eyes were no longer black, but instead a cruel purple. Though, curiously is was a trait that occurred after I had consumed Gluttony. Yes, I ate my own sibling. Even if I didn't think of him as such.

"Damn you Greed, have you forgotten that you're one of the homunculi?... Where's your honor?"

Recalling my own words, I had to ponder if honor was something I was lacking. Greed told me I was a disgrace, and having failed to do my duties correctly and losing to a... human, even if by extension he was my brother- I suppose I was a disgrace. Not that- that lower level Homunculus had honor either.

Well, he had more than me.

I'm a hypocrite, not stupid. But why should I care about honor? All I had to do, and all I wanted to do was serve Father. I was always his favorite... His pride. It didn't matter what was right or wrong. It only mattered what he wanted.

But now Father is dead, I'm trapped in this strange place. Father had long forsaken me anyhow. I was without a way to go back. But even if I did go back, what change could I bring? There's nothing left. I have no reason to do anything. I simply exist without a reason now. Destined to roam a stranger world forever, without a purpose. Perhaps here I may change something. The only way to find out was getting out and exploring I guess. Turning, began walking to the exit to the clearing.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a pair of golden glowing eyes from a nearby bush to my right. I'd have to keep my guard up, I'm arrogant- not foolish.

Pivoting on my hooves, I simply shake my head and continue along my new path. I wasn't worried.


* * *


Sighing, I realize I had been walking about thirty minutes without any improvements. I have no idea where I'm going. Not to mention the fact that I was one hundred percent sure something, or somethings were following me. I wasn't worried about a rapist or anything of the sort. I'm the fabled creature of stories that give other children nightmares. While I had been having this thought, once again out the corner of my eye I notice something...

Was that the same bush I say the first time around?

Sure enough, the same distinct pair of golden glowing eyes were peering at me like they were going to jump out and do something. I felt a stab of annoyance go through my chest. Who was this lower life form who dared to believe they could even harm me? Shrugging it off, I realized I'm being arrogant- even if for a good reason- and continue along a different path. Am I going in circles?

I need to find out where I am. I had long 'sheathed' my shadows- letting them slip back into the ground. The sound of my footsteps was muffled by the rain and lightning that were both above me. Above me? With father gone, there was no one above me.

Pausing, I set aside this thought. Yes, I am Pride. But I will no longer be Pride the Arrogant.

Snap!

Ah, so my stalkers finally show themselves. Or made a folly that revealed them. It will be a folly that will cost their lives if I don't find their reasons for following me well enough.

Glancing behind me, I spot three... wooden wolves- No five. Eight... They were... Crawling out the woodwork.

Giving a small self satisfied cruel smirk at the pun, I noticed these wooden mutts were looking at me like I was going to be an easy meal. That was the worst choice they could have made in their pathetic short lives. They were even lesser than humans. I prompted my shadow, causing it to stir as I prepared to mercilessly end the threats without batting a single eye.

Cling Clang! Cling Clang!

What is that annoying racket, and why should I not skewer the one making it upon my shadows? Apparently, these mutts agreed with me wholeheartedly because they ran of yelling like scared dogs with their tails tucked inbetween their legs.

Heh.

Luckily for both the 'Timber' wolves, and the perpetrator of said racket no one would be getting skewered. The wolves were saved by being scared from that noise, and the person was saved from beating mutilated due to me knowing they were trying to 'save' me. Not that I'd ever need a lower level meat sack mortal to save me from anything.

...

Sighing, I now realize that I really have to get over my superiority complex. Greed loved to call me pompous and creepy, but he wasn't so much different than I.

"By Celestia, little colt! Are you okay? What in the name of Equestria are you doing out here alone?" Ah, so I was correct on my dominant species theory. Good thing too, I was ready to grave rob for any possible dead children's body and recreate it for a shell to live in.

...I really do have issues. However, the mare had an ivory coat with a black mane. Her eyes were actually amber however. She wore a long cloak that I could assume to be hand made. Clearing my throat, a decided to put on my persona of 'Selim Bradley'. Politely, I greeted and thanked the mare for my 'rescue'.

"Oh, I'm okay Miss! Thanks to you!" I lied through my teeth, but not literally of course. "I got lost, and was looking for my way back to town! Could you please help me get there?" The mare cooed at me, which almost made me want to gag- it reminded me of my mother back at home.

...This rain is annoying, rolling down in my face. I really did miss my mother though. It's too bad I'll maybe never see her again.

"Well, let's get you out this rain? Shall we?" She began to lead me out the forest, smiling the whole way at me to comfort me. It made me feel slightly fuzzy. But I realize something.

She has knowledge.

She knew how this place, this world worked. She knew history, customs, languages and everything to get me by in this new world. And... All I had to do... Was consume her. It'd be easy. Her pitiful life would end quickly, never even knowing the pain of defeat. I'd consume her, and move on and be knowledgeable about this world. I'd done thousands the same way, I could do this kind stranger the same. This in mind, I kept me smile up- being the perfect little boy that would cause her no troubles and making eye contact.

The shadows stirred, behind us the clearing was now pitch black with unnatural shadows that filled up the whole area. Dangerous looking ominous eyes that shined like red evil luminescent beacons suddenly spurred to life. Sharp jagged rowed pearl teeth that could put any shark in history to shame stretched across the dark shadows behind us. We never stopped walking, she only broke eye contact to look in front of us to make sure we were going the same way. That was the perfect time to strike.

The clearing got darker and darker as the shadows rushed in, a sharp tip aiming to piece the mare's brain and end this quickly as painlessly possible. The shadow blade's tip was sharp enough to cut through even diamond like butter.

...

The shadows wouldn't move. Couldn't move. Refused to move. It literally stopped just inches away from her head. I felt flabbergasted. Why won't my shadows listen to me? It was then I realized. The shadows could not disobey me. They were an extension of me. Of myself.

I was the one who couldn't do it, and I couldn't blame it on my abilities. I'd grown soft, and attached to this mare and I only met her. The mare looked confused, she couldn't understand why the clearing became so dark.

Tsk.

Like with the soul bound armor suited Elric brother when I had been fooled by his fake leg decoys, I close my eyes in resignation and annoyance then lower my head. Just as quick at the demonic shadows appeared- they dispersed. I realized, I didn't need to kill her. I could simply go about this a normal way. Mindlessly killing this creature would be pointless, useful, but not really needed. I didn't need to be that Pride anymore. Father was gone, I can do wanted to do. I was given a second chance.

I would not waste it.

Comments ( 2 )

Could you please let flutters take care of him.oh and finaly someone made a story on pride.:pinkiehappy: you my dear writer have my intrest so continue and let him meet the CMC oh the chaos that will come.

I really hope to see a continuation of this.

Login or register to comment