• Published 7th Jul 2015
  • 1,631 Views, 13 Comments

Moonlit Love - Serina



“In a thousand years, our love will still be here.” Chrysalis whispered as she stared up at the full moon, an imprint of a mare appeared on the surface. She placed a hoof on her chest and smiled. “Always.”

  • ...
2
 13
 1,631

A Star Up In the Sky

The night air was crisp, the eclipse slowly cooling the land and bringing with it, the sounds of battle growing in the distance. Trees rustled with the strong winds flying through the air, from the magical outbursts in the distance. The creatures of the Everfree were fleeing, away from The Castle of the Two Sisters, all except one. The grass flew under Chrysalis’ hooves as she galloped towards the castle. Her dark cerulean mane flew behind her, and the clunking of armor belonging to the royal guard rang out in the distance, they were heading north of the forest, away from the ambush. She hissed in frustration and looked to the sky and saw magical beams ripping open the stones of two towers, the outer palace seemed to be crumbling to the ground from the magical toll. The battle wasn’t supposed to start yet. What’s going on?

The changeling began to flutter her thin wings and flew towards the treetops, the Everfree leaves brushing against her chitin, thorns scratching at her sides. A shrill scream from across the courtyard pierced the night sky as she ascended into the night sky. She looked around frantically, fearing the worst. The queen stilled herself in the air, closing her eyes, she felt the aura of her army to the south, and the royal guards were to the southeast.

There. She felt Luna’s presence, it was dim, but still there.

A dark aura was blocking her from sensing the alicorn’s location, she opened her eyes and turned to look towards the castle, or what remained of it. A dark figure was suspended in the air, hovering in front of the moon. She flew closer, trying to make out the creature, her eyes widened in recognition. “Nightmare?”

She shook her head and mumbled, staring at her friend. “This doesn’t make sense, she was supposed to wait for me.”

The sound of shattering glass rang out, the ceiling of the castle was caving in, the supports crumbling under the weakened structure. The rocks began to form piles of rubble as the weight from the stone fell to pieces as it landed against the once ornate tile floor, the sound of each boulder crashing shook the night. Chrysalis fluttered her wings towards her princess but stopped. A new aura, one which is bright and burning, she’s here, Celestia. However, something felt unusual, she sensed six new auras, pure auras, each with their unique magic. How could this even be possible? Celestia is alone. She glared at the Princess of the Sun, who was flying towards Nightmare Moon, and frowned as she looked for any other ponies ascending with her. Isn’t she?

Chrysalis looked opposite of Nightmare Moon and saw that the alicorn was surrounded by a rainbow aura, mixing with her gold aura, both shining brightly against the dark sky. Nightmare Moon raised her head, smirked at her sister, and began to charge her horn, an dark aura beam shot toward her now glowing sister. Celestia barely moved as the aura radiating off of her met Nightmare’s magic head-on, blocking the beam and moving it steadily backward, back towards the Princess of the Night.

Chills ran through Chrysalis’ body, she looked towards the two princesses, their beams of magic equal at that moment. Something is wrong, Celestia isn’t this strong. She looked up to see the beams of rainbow magic begin to spin wildly around the white alicorn, her mere presence almost too bright to bear looking at as the magical sphere now enveloped Celestia. Realization struck the changeling as she began to cover her eyes from the light with one hoof while flying frantically toward the showdown.

“Nightmare!” Chrysalis shrieked. “You have to get out of there, move out of her way!”

She saw the alicorn look towards her, a confused look on her face. Then, she was gone. Enveloped by the rainbow aura, the ball of magic began to shrink, and there was a small beam of magic that shot itself toward the moon, creating a picture of a mare upon it. The blast caused Chrysalis to be tossed back into the air a few yards away.

Straightening herself out, Chrysalis shook her head, tears swelling in her eyes. A whisper escaped her lips as she stared at the moon “No...”

She flew down, towards the forest, not looking back at the monster who sent her friend, her marefriend, into the moon for who knows how long. She didn’t care if Celestia came after her, she would fight, fight with every last ounce of stamina she had to avenge her. The grass flew up in the air at the force of her landing, she was panting, sweating. No, she couldn’t defeat Celestia when she had the elements on her side, no, not the day to be foolish, they would have to retreat. Chrysalis closed her eyes and slowed her breathing, she would have to save revenge for another day.

She whistled a long, low tune. Silence, then the beating of velvet-like wings flapped against the forest air, coming from all directions. A gathering of luna moths appeared, their glowing mint-toned wings surrounding the queen. Chrysalis stared at her companions and nodded at them. She chirped to the moths. “Go, find my changelings. The battle is over, time to retreat. Nightmare is… she’s gone.”

The moths all fluttered in understanding and headed south, deeper into the Everfree forest. Chrysalis watched them disappear into darkness. She looked up at the moon, and seeing Nightmare’s imprint there she began to weep on the forest floor. Her tears felt warm against her cold cheeks, she wanted Nightmare here, to help, to heal, but... She sniffled, wiping her tears away with her foreleg. I have to be strong, for her.

The Queen looked up at the moon again, the moonlight shining through the leaves. she imagined Nightmare placing a hoof on her shoulder. “Don’t cry, my dear. Our love will last,” The breeze ran through her mane as she almost heard Nightmare whisper “A thousand years.”

Placing her hoof on her chest, she felt her heart beat against it rhythmically. Chrysalis smiled faintly and whispered, “Always.”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading!