• Published 29th Jun 2015
  • 3,710 Views, 39 Comments

Filly Celestia Redux - Gothicfox



Last night, Celestia was surviving in the wilds of the land. The next morning she wakes up in a castle with everypony calling her Princess. Everything in her life is now upside down. Worse, her baby sister Luna is missing!

  • ...
4
 39
 3,710

Chapter Three

Twilight stared at her reflection in the mirror. She looked like a mare who slept fitfully last night and with reason after the events of yesterday—Celestia reduced to a filly, Luna challenged for control of the sun, and Blueblood with a friendship problem. Then there was the creature that started it all, a creature that could physically and magically challenge the two alicorn sisters. Twilight’s attempt at research had come up short on information. There was nothing on a creature that could manipulate time to the extent the attacker could. It made her wonder if it had been a pony that carried out the act of terror against Celestia. Starlight Glimmer had been adept at altering a spell belonging to Starswirl the Bearded for her act of revenge. Could there be another pony be as brilliant as her? That prospect had made Twilight worry, forcing her to continue the search for information until midnight when her body demanded rest. As her mind was only as sharp as the rest she gave herself, Twilight finally turned in, only to toss and turn and jolt awake as concerns encroached on her mind.

She stuck her tongue out at the reflection and ran a brush through a bed mangled mane. With the glow of the sun lighting up the room Twilight figured Luna had no problems with raising the sun. At least,the guards had not needed to beat her door down to alert her to another magical altercation. The only pony Twilight had seen so far was the maid, Dusty. She inquired if Twilight would come to breakfast with Princess Luna. Twilight mumbled a yes and let the maid go about her business. Twilight had to admit she was feeling a touch grouchy having to get up so early, but there was so much to do if they would solve this mystery. Meaning, it was time to get organized. She turned her head towards the bedroom.

“Spike, I- oh wait you're not here.”

Spike and Starlight Glimmer had remained behind to reschedule appointments so Twilight could hurry off to Canterlot. They were supposed to join them later today. Starlight’s insights concerning time travel might help in determining what they were dealing with. At least, she could help form a plan of defense against a creature capable of using temporal magic. Thinking of another whose skills might be useful on the case, Rarity came to mind. Twilight only recently became aware of the fashionista's powers of observation and deduction. It was an amusing discovery as her friends continue to surprise in new ways. Today she was eager to see Detective Rarity in action.

The sun outside grew brighter and continue to wax on. Hunger made itself known to Twilight, and breakfast with Princess Luna sounded like a marvelous idea. With the perfect solution in mind, she trotted out of the room and down the hall. The princesses normally took their breakfast in a room at the base of the observation tower. It allowed them a moment of privacy before affairs of the day separated them. It was more space than either sister needed, so they often used it to have private meals with family and friends. As she navigated the castle halls, the Royal Guard continued to make their presence known. The day shift had taken over and looked just as determined to protect the castle. They looked sure of their duties, which was a good sign morale was high. In returning the salute of a passing patrol, she missed the white stallion rounding the corner from another hall.

“Ow, watch where-oh it's you... princess,” Blueblood said, rubbing his chest after Twilight accidentally poked him with her horn. He gave her a casual look over before saying, “I trust you slept well, your highness?”

Twilight rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. “No, I barely slept at all. I couldn't stop worrying about Princess Celestia.”

“I understand the sentiment,” Blueblood sniffed. He gestured with his head towards the doors leading to the dining room. “Are you going to see them now?”

“I was planning too, yes,” Twilight said. Then she smiled as a thought popped into her head: “We can go in together if you like?”

Blueblood blinked, again he was unprepared for the act of graciousness from Twilight. He mulled it over for a second before nodding. “It would be, all right. I suppose so. Yes, well, shall we?” He politely gestured for Twilight to proceed him and took up a stride next to her as they headed for the room. "Princess Luna was able to raise the sun with no problems."

"I am so happy to hear that," Twilight said nodding her head. "Maybe whatever tried to take the sun from her yesterday couldn't do it again this morning."

“From what I heard about the incident, the thing might be afraid to try again.” Blueblood smirked and paused at the doors. Twilight started to worry this was about to become an embarrassing moment after what happened with Rarity. Instead, the prince opened the doors for her. "After you, Princess Twilight."

"Th-thank you." Twilight nodded her head and trotted inside. She immediately heard the breakfast conversation at the table. She barely could contain a giggle as Celestia was arguing with Luna.

“Why can’t I have cake for breakfast? I’m a princess,” Celestia said while she stood in her chair. Twilight noticed that few extra cushions had been placed so the filly could reach the table.

"Oh," Luna said," now you want to be princess?"

“If I'm a princess then I can have cake.” Celestia reasoned, sitting back on her haunches and waving her fore hooves to indicate the process of her logical thinking. “Princess equals cake. Work with me Luna.” She smiled meekly when Luna arched her brow at the sass. “Please?” She went all in with the large eyes and pouting lip. Even across the room Twilight felt herself ready to give in to the adorableness. What would it hurt to give the poor child a-

“No.” Luna said decisively, ending the request. The filly frowned at her sister before Luna relented and said, “Look, you can have a piece of cake for lunch.”

The filly sat back and smiled wide at her victory.

“First, you have to eat your oatmeal,” Luna added. A small smirk played on her lips.

Celestia’s eye twitched; apparently Luna’s cruelty was unrelenting. “I liked you better when you didn’t talk…” Her frown reversed as Celestia looked across the room and waved at Twilight and Blueblood, completely oblivious to Luna sticking her tongue out in response.

“Good morning, Princess Twilight, Prince Blueblood,” Luna greeted. “Come and break your fast with us.”

“Good morning, Princess Luna, thank you.” Twilight trotted to the table. “I hope you both slept well.”

“Thank you, Auntie Luna.” Blueblood waited till Twilight was seated before sitting across from Celestia. He quirked his brow as he looked at the filly. Twilight noticed that Celestia looked put out by the remark.

“Luna’s an aunt?” Celestia asked, tilting her head and trying to put the pieces together.

“Yes, she is,” Blueblood said. “And so are you.” The prince did not hide the smile spreading across his muzzle.

If Celestia was confused before, now he had tossed her for a loop. She looked from Blueblood to Luna, then to Twilight. She repeated that process a few times and Luna began to eat again.

“Wait, if Lulu’s an aunt, and I’m an aunt, whose…” Celestia eyes locked onto Twilight. “Twilight are you Blueblood's mother?”

Twilight’s eyes went wide and Luna sputtered and coughed out her eggs, laughing. “How did you come to that conclusion?” Twilight asked, blushing.

“Well someone has to be.” Celestia said, defending her statement. “How else is he going to be related to us.” She shoot Luna a look, “Lulu why didn't you tell me you had a daughter?!”

Blueblood lost it at that point seeing the look of shock on Luna’s face.

“Oh for pony’s sake,” Luna said. “Blueblood is adopted into our family. Twilight Sparkle here has only recently ascended to being an alicorn.”

Celestia looked from Luna to the other two ponies. Blueblood recovered himself and Twilight felt the heat starting to fade from her face. “Oh.”

“Oh, yes,” Twilight sighed. She began to help herself to the lovely breakfast set before them. “I’m not quite ready to become a mother.”

“Well I didn’t know how old you were.” Celestia pouted, poking at the oatmeal with her spoon before she took a bite. She mauled over the new information before looking at the prince again.

“Cele, no need to bother the prince with more questions,” Luna said.

“C'mon, Lulu,” Celestia complained.

Blueblood rolled his eyes. “Don’t argue with your sister.” He quirked his brow as Celestia made a face and grumbled as she return to eating her oatmeal.

“What was that?” Blueblood asked.

“Nothing.” Celestia ears flicked backwards.

“I hope we’re not going to have a repeat of yesterday, Celestia,” Blueblood said dryly. No doubt he was smarting over the headache she gave him.

Twilight knew there was trouble when Celestia’s ears stood up straight. The filly said, “I thought I lost Luna. I was scared.”

“An understandable reaction, considering,” Twilight interjected. She felt it best to start playing diplomat.

“More like an extreme over-reaction,” Blueblood said. “I know you are young, princess, but you could learn to listen to your elders.”

Celestia began to pout, “Why? No pony-”

“Because that's what good little fillies do.” Blueblood said with a smile.

Twilight dropped her toast as she saw a change come over Celestia. The filly’s eyes narrowed and her hackles rose, face becoming flush with anger. “I had to stop being a filly when we had to leave home. Maybe the other ponies could have been nicer to us.”

“All children think adults are mean to them,” Blueblood chuckled. "Do not make it sound-"

Twilight gaped as the filly darted from her seat, flying at Blueblood. The stallion recoiled, fore hooves up fearing the child might actually hit him. Twilight was surprised by the filly’s temper.

“You don’t know, you weren’t there.” Celestia said angrily, wings flapping. “You don’t know what it was like the first year asking, begging, for help and everypony blaming us for what happened! You don’t know what what I had to do to protect Luna. You just want me to be a good filly after that?!”

"Celestia." Luna did not raise her voice, but it was low and husky. It was enough to catch Celestia's attention. "Sit down before you get feathers everywhere." Celestia blinked, her angry eyes going away and leaving them sad. She dropped her head and hovered back to her seat, to sit down and stare into the bowel of oatmeal. Luna fixed her look on Blueblood and said, "Blueblood, I know you mean well, but I will discipline Celestia when she misbehaves from this point on. You—she, has issues you are unaware of."

Blueblood returned her look with a frown, but nodded silently. An awkward silence descended on the room, making the once fine morning a distant memory. Twilight wanted to ask more questions about what Celestia was talking about, but judging by the look on both sisters’ faces, that was a tender topic. She had been lucky before when she talked with Luna about her parents, but what about the topic they were dancing around? The subject they did not want to talk about. She realized she had to let it go for now and move on to something else. Let everypony calm down for the moment. It was time to move to another topic and get things moving again.

"So," Twilight said. Everyone looked at her now. "About today, I'd like to run my test on Celestia after I go and check up on the others." Twilight smiled. "To make sure they didn't get into trouble during the night."

Luna snorted a little, the corners of her lips turning, "I have yet to receive any reports of them stealing the royal silverware or raiding the kitchen to make a mess."

"Well good, I'll herd them up to Celestia's room before we head off to the school."

“Very well.” Luna said going back to her meal.

Blueblood cleared his throat and said, “Princess Luna, you have an appointment with Fancypants later today in the garden.”

A look of annoyance flickered across Luna's face. She exhaled slowly before responding, "I do not remember making such an appointment."

“No, but I took the liberty of asking him to come see you.” Blueblood swirled his glass of orange juice. “He felt bad about what happened yesterday and wanted to make amends for how the others reacted, to make a representation of support from the ponies who believe in you.”

Luna mulled over what he said. She directed her eyes to Twilight and asked, "Advice?"

Twilight swallowed her hay bacon and said, "well, why not? Fancypants seems to be genuine in his support for you and your sister. Rarity speaks rather highly of him." She paused, ignoring the disgruntled noise from Blueblood. "I say go for it."

"Luna could get a coltfriend today!" Celestia spoke up. Luna inhaled sharply and began to choke her food. During her coughing fit she scowled at the filly, trying to get the point across that she did not need a coltfriend.

****

With breakfast eaten, Twilight found her friends well-rested and in high spirits. Each of them was concerned about Celestia and looking forward to see what Twilight's test would show. Not everyone stayed, though. As soon as Blueblood spotted Rarity in the room he retreated back into the hall, making an excuse of going to do another errand. Twilight made a note to have a talk with Rarity about smoothing the ruffled feathers between them. But that would come later. First science!

"Okay everypony, and princesses," Twilight said, "this little device we built yesterday is going to allow us to see inside Celestia's head."

Celestia blinked at the device of spare parts that were mashed into a random shape, and she slowly backed underneath Luna. Her movement prompted the bigger sister to shield her.

Princess Luna eyed the device dubiously “It is safe?”

"Of course," Twilight said. She flicked a switch on the machine and lights began to dance as it activated, running through a their pre-program check. The screen flickered and ran through several lines of code before initiating the operating system. More power was added and the whine made everypony fold their ears back from the piercing sound before it settled to a comfortable hum. Twilight pursed her lips in thought, looking to Rarity and Fluttershy she said, "Hmm, the power source needs a little adjusting. Where did you say you got this?"

Rarity tapped her chin, “Oh, we acquired it from the metaphysical research department in the School for Gifted Unicorns. Two of the colts there thought they were nearing a breakthrough on EK-something or another. I was not paying attention.”

"The third colt with them was very forward,” Fluttershy chipped in.

“The one that was more suited to be a game show host?” Rarity sniffed with disdain.

Twilight turned the others out as she adjusted the machine. Once done she presented the machine to them. "There, all we need to do is strap Celestia in and see what's going on inside her head."

“Uh, sister?” Celestia was tugging on Luna’s leg vigorously and shaking her head no. The filly had made her decision about being checked by the weird contraption. Luna lowered her head towards her sister and said, “surely you are not afraid of Twilight?”

“No,” said Celestia. “Just her machine.”

Twilight turned reassure her mini-mentor when the machine started to power down. With a little kick of her rear leg, the device continued humming along. She sighed as Luna managed to catch Celestia with her magic before the filly could escape from the room. With an embarrassed smile, Twilight gestured for Luna to sit Celestia on a few cushions. “There. Now this device is going to scan the inside of your head—brainwave patterns to be precise. If there are any anomalies, this should pick it up.”

“Oh! Like the machine you used back in Ponyville when you were trying to figure out my Pinkie Sense?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Exactly,” Twilight said with a nod. She levitated a metal colander. Its porous surface was now adorned with tubes and wires. Foam was melded on the inside to fit comfortably on a pony’s head. There was even a strap to keep it secured under the chin. She placed it on Celestia’s head and adjusted a few knobs. A few of the girls giggled as Celestia became a pony turtle. “How do you feel?”

“A little silly,” Celestia grumbled.

“Don't worry this won't take more than a moment.” Twilight turned on the monitor and flipped a row of switches. The lights on the makeshift helmet glowed and pulsed with energy. The machine hummed softly as the screen flickered. As Twilight watched the panel to make sure nothing overheated, Celestia began to fidget nervously. She attempted to look out from under the helmet but Twilight waved her hoof for her to leave it on. "A few more seconds," she said. A few more moments passed before the monitor informed Twilight that the scan was complete and she put the machine on standby. "...and done."

“That wasn't so bad,” Celestia admitted.

“Of course,” Twilight said.

“Hm, I am also anxiously curious.” Luna stepped forward to look on the screen. She stared for a moment then commented,”As I always expected: empty.”

“Luna,” Celestia squeaked, shaking a hoof at her sister.

A smile curled Luna muzzle, “I mean the screen, silly.”

“Sure you did,” Celestia huffed.

“Okay, okay, settle down.” Twilight gestured for Luna to step back then adjusted the knobs to produce the picture. The screen flickered once again before the sought after scan appeared. As she studied the image intently she missed the growing tension in the room as everypony waited for her prognosis. When Pinkie Pie started to bite her hooves, Twilight said, “Well, this is complicated.”

“Break it to us gently, Twilight,” Rarity said. Every pony looked had a look of concern that Applejack gave the filly a reassuring hug. Twilight looked at her friends. How was she going to explain this inexplicable development? She flashed through previous conversations with these very same ponies over the years they spent together. Keep it simple, keep it positive. This would be a challenge, but she strove on. “As you see on the screen, this is a the brain of a your average alicorn filly. I have an idea what one looks like because, “Twilight extended her own wings. “What is not typical for her age is the amount of activity going on inside.”

“Even for an alicorn?” Applejack asked.

“Yes,” Twilight said. Okay, here was the part that was going to take some explaining. “Basically, it seems she still has all her memories.”

“Hey, that's great,” Rainbow Dash interrupted. “So it is a case of amnesia.”

“Well thank goodness.” Applejack lifted Celestia up to look her in the eye. “Ya’ hear that, you're almost out of the woods.” Celestia only responded to the apple farmer with a wary smile.

“So we just have to wait for her to settle into her new body?” Fluttershy asked.

“Girls.” Twilight said to head off their jubilation before it got too far ahead. She hope they notice the look on her face was anything but celebratory.

“You have more to say, Twilight?” Luna spoke loud enough to the others attention. As they looked at her, Twilight nodded.

“Yes, while I'm happy that she still has her memories. The problem is how is her brain holding it all in? It's not developed enough to handle all those memories. It—it should be causing her severe neurological problems.” Now the room was quiet. She saw Luna's stoic facade cracking from the worry. “Despite all this, everything else seems to be fine. Though it might better to get a doctor's opinion as well.”

“Agreed, “Luna said.

“I’m still worried this might be the result of the magic used against Celestia. She has too much information for such a small brain to handle.” Twilight blinked when Celestia glared at her. Then it dawned on her what she had said, “uh, no offense.”

Applejack smoothed the filly's mane. “But she's gonna be all right?”

“Of course,” Twilight put on a fake smile. “Right as rain, as you would say. Right?”

“Close enough.” Applejack set Celestia down and asked her. “Ready to head outside for some fresh air?”

“Oh, yes, yes.” Celestia flapped her wings and bounced on her hooves. The somberness of the moment pushed aside. She looked to Luna and asked, ”Can I? Please?”

“May I,” Luna corrected. “Yes, you may.” Then Fluttershy stepped forward. “We can go to the royal gardens. Oh you'll enjoy all the cute little animals there.”

Celestia's eyes went wide and gleamed. She bounced over to Fluttershy and her hugged her foreleg. “Lead the way.”

As the two began to exit the room, Luna called after them, “Be sure to say on your best behavior, sister, and mind Fluttershy.”

“I will, “Celestia called back.

Rainbow Dash with an impish smile called after Fluttershy. “Hey, show her that trick with the animals you did at the Grand Galloping Gala.”

Fluttershy froze for a moment before quietly shooting back. “We're not supposed to talk about that anymore.” She rose her nose slightly to regain her dignity then realized that Celestia was getting away from her. “Oh, princess, wait for me!” With a flap of her wings Fluttershy hurried down the hall after Celestia.

Twilight closed the door and with a look to Luna, asked, "Guards?"

“Four unicorns are going to be with her at all times,” Luna said. Then the mask was gone and Luna regarded Twilight with worry. “Everything you have said, it is bad.”

"My understanding of this is she should be in a coma right now. I don't how she is able to run around without experiencing more seizures and even hallucinations as all the information collides in her mind. Whatever magic was used on her is still very much in effect."

“So there is a chance this could get worse?” Luna look mortified.

“Yes.” Twilight confirm watching Luna shuffle her wings. “Yet, we can minimize this by not subjecting her to anymore mental trauma. As in, not trying to get her to remember her adult life.”

“Really?” Rarity asked. “Shouldn’t we be trying to get her to remember?”

“If this were a normal case of amnesia, yes.” Twilight was quiet for a moment, thinking of a proper explanation. "She has experiences that only an adult can rationally deal with. Not just any adult, but one who has lived for centuries. She has lived through some major events in her life, some she had barely survived. How does a filly process events like Sombra, Discord, or the worst one of them all—having to banish her own sister to the moon for a millennium. All those feelings would be new to her and overwhelming."

Rarity's ears drooped and Luna looked away, her face full of shame. They both realized that if the child Celestia began to remember things from her adult life, it could far lingering consequences than just seizures. Nightmare Moon was just one in many incidents that Celestia had dealt with. Not to mention that she was also the keeper of dangerous secrets. Secrets that if known to a ten year old could drive her insane.

“Then what can we do till this is fixed?” Luna finally asked, plea in her voice.

“That will be the easy part.” Twilight smiled, using her magic to turn off the machine. “Keep her occupied and out of trouble. You know how to raise children, right?”

Luna gave Twilight a flat look and sighed. “We have raised quite a few colts and fillies in our time. A few centuries ago…”

“You’ve been doing a good job so far, princess,” Applejack said. “Plus, you’re not the only pony here who's had to raise a sister.”

“Plus, if she keeps getting into trouble,” Rainbow Dash said, “you can throw her into the dungeon.”

Twilight mouth gaped as she watched Luna stroked her chin, considering the suggestion. “Hey, hey, no pony’s going to lock her up in a dungeon.”

“I think Rainbow Dash meant it as a jest.” Luna said with a growing smile. Though the smile did nothing to diminish the concern that shown by her eyes.

Twilight nodded and trotted to the princess to hug her neck. “We’re going to fix this. We’ll get her back to old self again.”

“I have faith in your abilities, Twilight Sparkle. In all of you.” Luna return the gesture of affection by lowering her chin to rest on Twilight’s neck. “Now I have a guest to attend to and a country to run. Let me know if learn anything new during your investigation.”

“Will do, Princess Luna.” Twilight bowed her head as Luna retreated from the room. Then she look to her friends. An idea popped into her head and she said, “so, who’s ready to go back to school?” She smiled as her attempt at humor was met with groans. “Aw c’mon, that was funny…”

Comments ( 7 )

Rarity tapped her chin, “Oh, we acquired it from the metaphysical research department in the School for Gifted Unicorns. Two of the colts there thought they were nearing a breakthrough on EK-something or another. I was not paying attention.”

"The third colt with them was very forward,” Fluttershy chipped in.

“The one that was more suited to be a game show host?” Rarity sniffed with disdain.

Venkmane, Stands, and Spangler by any chance?

“As you see on the screen, this is a the brain of a your average alicorn filly. I have an idea what one looks like because, “Twilight extended her own wings. “What is not typical for her age is the amount of activity going on inside.”

I think this sentence got chopped a little. Is Twilight implying that she knows what the average alicorn filly looks like because she was one? Did she mean to name-drop Flurry Heart instead? (Or is this set before then?)

“Agreed, “Luna said.

“I will, “Celestia called back.

Quotation marks should be at the end of the spoken words, not at the start of the narration.

“Yet, we can minimize this by not subjecting her to anymore mental trauma. As in, not trying to get her to remember her adult life.”

Any more is two words.

Good chapter, keep it up!

7352197

Yes, I did put a Ghostbusters reference in there. :pinkiehappy:

Thank you for pointing out the errors in there as well.

Yes, I did put a Ghostbusters reference in there.

Ironically, it'll be funnier then anything in the new movie.

Hope to read a new chapter soon

7407513
New chapter is in rough draft phrase and being beaten into something readable. May have it out this year even. :derpytongue2:

7408121 okay thank you for letting me know

Soo...when's the next chapter? :derpytongue2: ( Ignoring the fact you haven't been active in a year and 9 months :trollestia: )

Login or register to comment