• Published 20th May 2012
  • 6,420 Views, 200 Comments

My Little Balladeer - Ardashir



The Elements of Harmony find themselves facing an evil beyond their knowledge, armed with an alien magic. In desperation they use their Elements to summon aid and get - a hillbilly with a silver-strung guitar?

  • ...
7
 200
 6,420

Chapter 4

My Little Balladeer
Chapter 4

Twilight Sparkle cantered down the South Road from Ponyville to Sweet Apple Acres, barely feeling the dirt under her hooves or noticing the greetings she got from ponies she met along the way, heading out for their own morning work. Worry consumed the young unicorn as she moved, feeling the saddlebags she wore digging into her sides, her Element of Magic tiara in the left one and the spellbooks in the right. Spike hung on to her neck for dear life as she cantered past the Carrots’ farm. Part of her wanted to gallop, but the rational part of her mind warned her that she might need as much of her strength as she could conserve if things went wrong. The cool early morning air chilled less than her thoughts at that moment.

“Rainbow Dash, you’re sure it was something like Thorn?” She yelled upwards into the blue sky, hoping vainly that she’d somehow misheard. She glanced up and saw the blue-coated pegasus wheeling down, her wings working furiously. Twilight repeated herself, adding, “It wasn’t just a Diamond Dog?”

“I saw it myself, Twilight!” Dash called down to her. “It’s some hairless thing wearing clothes and standing on two legs just like Thorn. It looked funny at me. AJ said it was her guest, can you believe it? Then she said to go and fetch you, and why are we still wasting time like this?” She prepared to fly on ahead but stopped at another question from Twilight.

“Did it have anything with it? You know, like,” her voice choked in her throat and a shiver went through her, “Like another of those grimoires?” Dash stopped to hover, rubbing one hoof thoughtfully against her chin.

“Naw,” she called back, “But it did have a guitar over its back. I remember the strings were shining in the sunlight. You’ll know it by that. Now can we please hurry it up before something happens to AJ?!?” Dash’s wings blurred and she shot down the road to the farm in the distance.

‘You’ll know it by the shining guitar strings’, Twilight thought, disliking the brittle edge in her mental voice. Good to know we’ll be able to tell this one apart from the one that nearly killed me or worse. Steady there, mare. Right now the one thing I need more than anything is to stay calm, cool, and above all else, collected.

And then a pair of clawed hands wrapped around her neck from behind. Twilight almost shrieked before she heard Spike’s voice.

“Twi? Twi! Just what were those signals you said to watch for, again? I think I forgot.” She shot him a dirty look. The little dragon on her back gave her a sheepish grin and scratched at the back of his head with one hand, his claws scraping over purple scales. She snorted and returned to her canter. He nearly fell off and quickly returned his grip to her mane with a yelp. In the other he bore a piece of paper, his favorite writing quill, and ribbon to tie a message in.

“Spike, we went over them three times!” He flinched back at the anger in her voice. She took a deep breath and calmed herself, saying, “Okay, sorry. If there’s trouble, you’ll see a blast of purple light shooting straight up until it bursts like fireworks, and there’ll be a loud bang along with it, like thunder – wait! Or… if you see me grab Applejack and teleport out, then send a message straight to Princess Celestia asking for all the help she can send right now. If it’s all clear…”

“You’ll want me to use the black ribbon for that, right?” He showed her the ribbon in question. “You and Celestia both said it was for emergencies only, and this counts, doesn’t it?”

“Right,” Twilight said, hoping fervently there wouldn’t be any need. She saw they were reaching the last turn in the road before the gate to Sweet Apple Acres. She slowed to a stop. “Spike, this is where you get off.” He dropped down and went to hide in the boundary hedgerow. She heard the branches scratching over his scales as he pushed into their midst. When she could see nothing but his green eyes, she nodded and said, “Like I was saying, if it’s all clear I’ll send a calling spell to you shaped and colored like an amethyst butterfly. If you see that, come straight to me.”

“Umm, ‘amethyst’?”

Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes. “Royal purple, Spike. The color of Rarity’s mane and tail.”

“Like Rarity?” Spike’s eyes and voice went dreamy. Twilight coughed. He snapped back to attention. “Gotcha, Twilight. You can depend on me!” He shot her a salute. She smiled back at him and turned to head into Sweet Apple Acres. She could already see Dash wheeling over the farmyard back by the barn. She stopped at a sound from Spike.

“T-Twi?” She turned and looked back at the little dragon. He slid out of the hedges and gave her neck and mane a hug. “Please, be careful. I don’t want you to,” he swallowed, “I don’t want you to get almost hurt again like with what that creep Thorn tried to do to you.”

“Don’t worry, Spike, I’m ready this time,” Twilight responded. She hoped she sounded far more certain than she felt. Then she turned, took a deep breath, and trotted through the gate onto Sweet Apple Acres to meet Princesses alone knew what might be there.

* * *

I was still a-standing there in the farmyard with the palomino in her Stetson when I saw the blue winged horse come flying back from that pretty little town I’d seen before. Once she’d flown on ahead and circled up above us like some eagle or hawk, looking down to see whatair might could be seen. She’d whinnied down to the palomino, who I swear to nothing rolled her eyes before she whinnied back at her and sent her off.

“I suppose she worries a right much?” I said to her. She just gave me a look like to say, what are you a-talking for when I can’t understand you? I went quiet. I wondered myself what other strangeness I’d be seeing today.

I found out right soon.

The blue Pegasus came flying back, but now it looked like another of these little horses came cantering along beneath her. This one looked purple, I swear to you all it’s the truth, and she wore saddlebags. The palomino beside me neighed loudly to them, just like any human being howdying a neighbor or friend.

And as they came closer, I saw what made me near about fall down on the ground, and I did call out, “Lord have mercy!” The palomino whinnied like she wondered why I yelled but I paid her no heed. For the little horse cantering up to me showed a purple coat, like I said, and she had her mane's forelock done up in bangs just like a young girl back home. But that alone wasn’t what startled me right out of my manners.

Because below those bangs and between two large and brilliant eyes there set a spiral horn. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, as sure as I’m telling you all this, there set a purple spiral horn maybe six-eight inches long a-rising from her forehead. I knew what that made her even though I couldn’t have said the word right then. I’d even seen the like of her before in old-timey tapestries and books from the Middle Ages called bestiaries that a scholar friend of mine showed me once. That meant she was a unicorn, something that many a person tells you never did exist outside of stories, and right there she came towards me. Call me a liar if you will, I don’t have a gun here to hark at you and make you believe.

She slowed to a walk, giving me the same wary look I’d gotten from the palomino like she didn’t know what I might could or would do. The blue Pegasus dropped down by her, a-looking right angry on me like she dared me to try something. I got my legs back together under me and rose back up. I tried to ignore the way they wanted to be shaking.

All three of them looked at me, the palomino curious, the blue Pegasus angry, and the purple unicorn wary. The breeze blew cool against me and it helped bring me back a mite. I smelled all the scents and heard the sounds you usually do in any farmyard: sweat from the horses, the ripe earthy smell of fertilizer in the fields, the clucking of chickens and the grunting of pigs as they were fed. It gave me something to think on other than what I saw right then.

The unicorn whinnied something at the palomino. She whinnied back at her, pointing her hoof at me during it. The unicorn looked from her to me and I saw fear flash in her eyes. I fancied somehow she wasn’t so much a-scared of me as of something I reminded her of. She responded the palomino, but her whinnies sounded different, clearer somehow. I wondered myself that I’d been here long enough to tell these ponies apart by their voices. The Pegasus whickered something at her and the unicorn snorted like a short laugh. Then she looked back at me and the laugh seemed to die in her throat.

I decided myself something and stepped forward. The unicorn took a short step back, but when the Pegasus tried to get in between she motioned her back. Whoair she might be, she gave the orders right there, and no mistake.

“Hidy,” I bade her, extending my hand as I did. “I’m rightly hoping that we’re all to be friends here.” She just gave my hand a look before she whinnied some more at the palomino, who responded her. The unicorn gave a snort and she fell silent.

Then a new strangeness happened.

A purple light began to build along her horn until it glowed softly all the way along it, like fireflies or the lights on Brown Mountain that I’ve seen. As it did, the flap of her saddlebag drew back like as though someone was a-moving it. Right then I recognized it, and it calmed me some to see something I at least knew of. It was a thing I’d heard of called “telekinesis” by schooled folks. Once or twice I’d known folks who swore they could do it. But maybe they’d been able to move dice across a table or turn a piece of paper. I’d nair yet seen one who could do what she did and take a thick hardback book with a fancy old wooden cover from the saddlebag. The book floated before her eyes and opened, the pages flipping, but at enough of an angle that I could see what was in it. And what I saw wasn’t what you’d call a comforting thing.

The book showed less words in any form I might could recognize and more like diagrams and hieroglyphs that I’d seen before in books I’d been right sorry to see. Books with titles like The Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses and the Grand Albert. Books of black magic, grimoires some call them, all of them, and the worst kind of bad thing to see someone a-getting ready to use on you.

She whinnied and her horn glowed brighter and hard to look at without blinking. She raised her eyes to look at me and the light was a-showing in them too. The book floated off to the side and she reared up before me. Even on her hind legs she wasn’t as tall as I stand. But if she reached up she could set that bright-glowing horn of hers to my forehead.

And that was right what she was a-trying to do.

“Nothing of the sort!” I took a long step back from her. She neighed in what might could be either fright or anger. I remembered a charm against bad spells and their makers that helped me aforetimes and I began to use it, stabbing two of my fingers at her like a gun as I started to say, “I draw three drops of blood from you. One from your heart, one from your bones, one from your liver…”

And she whinnied in real fear, and the palomino and blue Pegasus who I’d forgotten about like a gone gump just dove on me and forced me to the ground where I couldn’t even move. I saw my guitar lying nearby and reached for it, but the palomino put one hoof on my arm and held me.

Then that fierce bright purple light again, close by, and I looked just in time to see the unicorn touching her glowing horn to my brow.

* * *

Twilight stared at the creature before her in disbelief and no small amount of fear. She barely heard Applejack’s description of how she’d met him, talking about him spending the night here on the farm and something about creatures from the Everfree sneaking up almost to the farmhouse before he’d warned her. She felt the air beating down on her in steady bursts as Rainbow Dash hovered overhead, watching it – him -- closely. He turned wary eyes on her and Twilight fought down a shudder. He’s so like that other one, Thorn… She glanced at her friends and saw worry in their eyes. Twilight drew herself up and forced a note of unconcern in her voice as she spoke.

“Wow, Applejack, Dash wasn’t joking,” Twilight Sparkle said as she looked closely at the being before her, the neck of a guitar showing over his shoulder. He looked much like Thorn, definitely the same species or a closely-related one, but now that she looked closer she could see some differences. He seemed less heavy in the body and face and his clothes looked simpler and handmade, more like something ponies like Applejack would wear as compared to Thorn’s more courtly attire. Unlike him, this one showed a short brown mane on his head, streaked with grey at the sides and just back of the eyes. And she saw something about his face that inspired, if not trust, a sense that he wouldn’t trick or deceive her. She said, “You really did find one of these whatever-they-ares like Thorn?”

“More like he found us,” Applejack said. “Say, Twi, you don’t think he’s whut we called for, do yah?”

“I don’t know,” Twilight said, wondering herself. “I don’t even know what he is.”

“He’s another human, right?” Dash suggested.

Two weeks ago, Twilight would have snorted, rolled her eyes, and lectured Dash on how “Humans are creatures from legends and campfire scare stories. Go ask Lyra for more, she doubtlessly has a hundred ‘first pony accounts’ to tell you…”

But now, after Thorn…

“Applejack, where did you find him again?”

“Better to ask Apple Bloom ‘bout that, Twi,” AJ responded. “She met him out in the Everfree last night, said he saved her from some sort o’ monster that tried grabbin’ her. Like a shadow with bones in it, she said.” Applejack scrunched her face up and shook herself. “She brought him back here and he spent the night. Seemed polite enough, nothin’ like that Thorn polecat. And then this mornin’ he showed me something by the edge o’ the property where it runs up against the Everfree…”

“Okay, that’ll do for now,” Twilight said. Her horn glowed as she opened one of her saddlebags and levitated a spellbook out. As she looked at it she faintly noticed what seemed to be a sudden unease on the being’s part.

“Twi,” Applejack muttered at her, “he’s gettin’ kinda antsy…”

Twilight ignored her as she paged through the book. “Let’s see, where is that translation spell? I can’t believe that Star Swirl’s Spells for Successful Speech has gone through thirty editions and still doesn’t have an index…” She whooped for joy. “That’s it! Universal Translation spell! Now let’s see if it’ll work on whatever you are!” She worked through the spell pattern in her mind, feeling the power concentrate in her horn. It began glowing with a bright purple light as she reared up on her hind legs. “I don’t suppose he can kneel or bend down, can he? I have to touch my horn to his brow to work the spell, and – what are you doing? Stop that!”

He’d thrust two of his fingers out at Twilight, like he was trying to duplicate her horn with his hand, and she heard him making noises alien to every language Twilight knew of among ponies, dragons, griffons, and Diamond Dogs. But for all of that she knew it to be speech. More, she knew it to be the casting of a spell. Because she’d heard something like it before, when Thorn… That book, and what it very nearly did to her when she started reading it…

“NO!”

Twilight dropped back, panting in sudden fear as the memories surged up in her mind. “He’s casting a spell! Like Thorn! AJ, Dash, stop him, please!”

The next second the being, human, whatever he was, went down with Applejack and Rainbow Dash piling onto him. Applejack pinned his shoulders, pointing his hand away from Twilight. “Woah there, take it easy, pardner! This ain’t nothing to hurt ya, we just’ wanna be able to talk to ya! Watch it there, Rainbow, don’t hurt him ‘less you gotta!”

“Tell him that!” Dash yelled back as she barely dodged a kick before she gripped his legs and held them down. She yelled at him, “Knock it off, you big galoot! I’m not letting you cast any spells on my friends! Come on, Twilight, cast the spell already!”

Twilight drew a deep breath, one more, and then forced herself to step forward and touch her horn to his forehead as she released the spell.

* * *

They held me down, or tried their level best anyway. I fought as hard as I could ever remember but those ponies were right strong for their size. I’ve known bigger men than me who’d have lost that fight. The palomino and the Pegasus neighed at me and each other, sounding frantic. Then the unicorn set her horn to my head. It glowed like iron taken straight from the forge.

I’ve been in my share of fights and I flatter myself to think that I’ve held up my end of them and maybe more, but I hope to nothing I nair feel a punch to the forehead like I did then ever again. My head swam like after a few shots of the best blockade, or if I’d just fought a good hard punch right atween my eyes. That lasted a second and then I found the whinnies and neighs and snorts all around me were a-forming into words. Words in a voice I'd heard afore, singing five notes over and over, a-coming from the purple unicorn.

“Did it work? Can you understand me?” She looked at me wary, and said in a voice that minded me some ways of a teacher lady’s, what you’d call an educated one anyhow, “If you promise no spellcasting or trickery, I’ll tell my friends to let you up.”

I suppose I goggled at her, but I was still able to say, “Wait. How do you all suddenly come on to speaking English?”

“Hey, Twi, it worked! He’s talkin’ Equestrian!” I turned my head at that voice and saw it to be the palomino speaking. For some reason her sounding like folks from where I lived back home didn’t surprise me air bit. She said, “He talks it near as good as I do.”

The unicorn gave her a sidelong look. “Umm, yes, but thankfully we can understand him anyway.” The Pegasus laughed at that, but not mean, more like the way old friends will when they josh each other. Her rough-sounding voice minded me of one I’d heard before, bold and brash, singing those same five notes. The palomino just snorted and turned back to me.

“Oh, and howdy, whoever y’ are. Ah’m Applejack, and this here’s my family farm where you stayed last night.”

“I’m kindly obliged,” I said to her. “Maybe you could be neighborly enough to let me up? I promise no trickery or such a thing.” She and the Pegasus looked at the unicorn. She nodded and they stepped back from me. I checked my guitar first. When I saw it to be alright, I stood up careful-like. I said to them all, “I’m right sorry I scared you all with what I was doing. I thought maybe you were a-trying to spell me for something bad and that was a good charm against witch magic. If I’d known you just wanted to talk, I’d have done nair such a thing.”

“Heh,” the Pegasus rose off the ground, her wings flapping. She looked from me to the palomino. I reckon I should say, to Applejack. “Say, Jacky, maybe you got cousins we never heard of before. He sure sounds like a relative of yours.” Then she turned and flew over to hover in front of me. “I’m Rainbow Dash myself. Now where do you come from, and how’d you get to Equestria?”

“Equestria?” I responded her. “Is that what this place is? I half thought that maybe I’d ended up in a children’s book or been taken under the hills by the little people.” I looked her over. “By the little ponies, I reckon I ought to say. And I have to say, the name fits this place right well.”

“What do you mean?” The purple unicorn that time, walking around in front of me. I noticed now just how bright her eyes shined, as well as the mark she bore on her flanks. It showed a pink-purple six-pointed star surrounded by five smaller white stars. Like the three apples on Applejack’s sides, and the rainbow-colored lightning bolt striking downwards from a cloud that Rainbow Dash bore. When I looked at Miss Unicorn, she blushed and looked right cute a-doing it. “My apologies for the unintentional scare. Oh, and my name is Twilight Sparkle. But what was that about our country’s name?”

“It means anything having to do with horses, where I come from,” I answered her. “It came from an old language nair soul speaks any more. When they called someone an Equestrian, it used to mean you were a gentleman.”

“Really?” She said, and got an interested look in her eyes. “They use more than one language where you come from? How many of them are still being used, and…”

“Uh, Twi,” Rainbow Dash flew between me and her, “Maybe you’re forgetting something. He knows our names, but we don’t know his.” She turned and looked right at me with those big rose-red eyes of hers, and it wasn’t a friendly look. “Now, who are you, and where do you come from?”

“I’m from the mountains somewhere between North Carolina and Tennessee, and my name’s John,” I looked from her to the others. They looked eager to hear more, and maybe just the littlest bit cautious.

“North Carolina? Tennessee?” Dash shook her head at those names. “And you say your name is John. John what?” She flew around me and I heard the beat of her wings and could feel the puffs of air as they washed against me. “You got that guitar, you’re some kind of a bard?”

“I reckon I’m something like that,” I answered her. “I’m a wanderer, a balladeer. Some folks call me John the Balladeer or John the Wanderer. Mostly I answer to just John.” She looked ready to ask more, but stopped when I held up my hand. “Maybe I’d better ask this. Is there air other pony around here who might need to be a-hearing this? It’d be better to be saying it just the once. And maybe then you can explain to me how I came to be here, and if you know how I can be sent back.”

At those words they all of a sudden looked like they’d been caught at something. I wondered myself what they knew and weren’t saying.

“He’s right,” Twilight said. “Let’s get everyone together for this. Spike!” She turned and called the last out. Then she stomped one forehoof against the ground. “Ah! I forgot!” Her horn began to glow again. I watched while she formed a little purple butterfly out of light and sent it a flying off, back the way she’d come. After a few moments I saw someone else a-coming down the road. I figure it was a good thing I’d seen so much, else I might have fallen right down from the surprise.

He, for some reason I reckoned the one I saw for a he, stood about as tall as a young child. First I saw that he looked purple. I wondered myself if maybe he was kin to Twilight. As he came closer I saw that he didn’t have a horse’s coat. Scales covered him, like on a snake or a lizard. His eyes owned a snake’s slit pupils, and he showed a lizard’s tail and green crest or plates like a dinosaur’s starting on his head and running down his back to his tail. He held a piece of paper in one clawed hand and its edges showed a roughness to them that made it plain it wasn’t factory-made. In the other claw he held a quill for writing, like how you’ve seen in old pictures. As he came closer he stared at me and I reckon I stared at him.

“So, he’s okay?” He said, and it sounded like any little boy you’d hear air place on Earth. He went up next to Twilight and stood close by her like a child by either his mother or big sister. “He’s not gonna put any spells on us?”

“He’s okay, Spike, and oh,” Twilight said to me, “Mister John, this is Spike, my assistant.”

“Hidy,” I said to him, and then, “I crave pardon for asking, but you’re a lizard, then?” I heard a pair of muffled laughs from behind me. Twilight looked dismayed, but Spike took it the worst.

“Lizard?” He huffed and stamped up to me as best someone that small could stomp. If he could have, I think he might have a-marched right up my legs and chest to look me in the eyes. “Listen here, pal, I’ll have you know that I’m a dragon! And I am the personal assistant to Twilight Sparkle, and she is the personal apprentice of Princess Celestia, ruler of all Equestria. And she and her friends,” and he waved one claw at Applejack and Rainbow Dash, “Have defeated rampaging dragons, attacking monsters, and saved all Equestria from destruction. Twice! And they’re the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. So you’d better respect them, whatever you are!”

“Spike!” Twilight said. She walked up to him, and of a sudden he looked as shamefaced as any little boy who’s getting scolded by a big sister. “This is a guest. And he didn’t know what you are, did he?” They both looked at me.

“I surely didn’t,” I responded her. “And I apologize to you all if I showed bad manners just now. Where I come from, the only dragons are in storybooks. And I didn’t know I was a-speaking to the local heroes.”

Twilight blushed at that. I thought that maybe I’d said something I shouldn’t have. Applejack looked embarrassed her own self, but Rainbow Dash looked pleased as anything at what I’d said.

“I’m sorry,” Spike said, and he held out his hand. He looked it too, so much so I took his hand in mine and shook it.

“It’s kindly all right,” I answered him. “You were just a-looking out for the lady who has you for a familiar.” They all looked odd at me.

“Familiar?” Twilight said. “Familiar what?”

“Him, Spike,” I said to her. “He said he helps you with what you do. Doesn’t that mean he helps you in a-casting spells? That’s what a familiar does, more or less.” I didn’t add what else familiars did, like help set curses on animals or people or sometimes even kill somebody or other and even suck blood from the witch they served and watched over. I’d only just met them, but I couldn’t believe any of those things about either Twilight or Spike.

Twilight and Spike looked somewhere between amused and confused at what I’d said.

“No, no,” Twilight said, shaking her head. “Spike just helps me around the library and sometimes with some of the problems we have here in Ponyville. Speaking of which,” she turned to Dash where she hovered, “Rainbow, go and get Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity. Tell them to head for the library. We’ll be meeting there to listen to Mister John,” she nodded at me, “and see to whatever needs to be done.”

“What? Huh? Why me?” Dash gave me a look that said clearer than air word she didn’t trust me a bit. “Can’t you send Spike? I wanna be here if he tries anything.”

“I don’t think there’ll be any need,” Twilight knelt and let Spike get on her back like the world’s littlest and scaliest jockey. She said, “Applejack trusts him, and,” she gave me a sidelong look, “So do I. I’m sure we’ll be safe with him. So if you could just get everypony together and tell them to meet us at the library, that’ll be a big help.”

“Okay, then,” Dash grumbled back at her. Then Spike spoke up.

“It’s Spa Day, so Fluttershy should be with Rarity.” His voice got all dreamy on that last word.

Dash made to leave but of a sudden she turned and shot up right into my face. She stuck her hoof under my nose and said, “But just in case I’m wrong, listen up. Twi and AJ and Spike are my friends, and no one hurts my friends and gets away with it. Understood? I’ll be watching you like a griffin.”

“That makes us about right equal,” I answered, feeling the least bit nettled by her, “Because I’m not so sure I trust you a right much, either.” She snorted at that, but before she could say air other thing, I added, “I’ll do none of them air harm.” She nodded like to say, you better mean that, and glared to do it. She didn’t like me much and no mistake. Then she shot up in the air and off towards the town in a blue blur. I looked at Applejack and Twilight. I could see how they blushed.

“Umm, John, ‘bout Dash…” Applejack began to say.

“It’s all right,” I told them. “I don’t pay it any heed. I do wish I knew what made her so angry with me, though.” They looked at me a moment longer before they relaxed.

“I wish I did too,” Twilight said, sounding unhappy. “Now then, Mister John…”

“Just plain John will do fine, and I thank you.”

“John, then,” she said, “if there’s nothing else, let’s get going.”

“There might could be the one thing,” I pointed back off towards the edge of the farm, towards the woods. “I don’t know if it’s air important thing, but maybe you ought to see what Applejack and I found this morning.” Twilight looked curious at me, and then at Applejack. She just nodded at her.

“It’s something you oughta see, Twi,” she said with a shudder. “It’s nothing good. I think it’s,” she swallowed, “I think it’s them things Apple Bloom said she saw that one time, when she went to Zecora’s with you.”

“I thought we hadda get to the library,” Spike grumbled. Twilight looked ready to say something herself, but she looked closer at Applejack.

“You’re not kidding.” She nodded. “Okay, we’re here, so we might as well go and check it out. Applejack, John, let’s see your zombponies.” Applejack nodded and turned to head off down the way we’d gone earlier. Twilight followed her, with Spike on her back. He looked frightened some. I didn’t feel air bit frightened my own self, and a part of me wondered if I felt so sure just because I didn’t know how right bad this whole thing would be for us all.

I followed the unicorn and the palomino and the little dragon, and that thought didn’t sit the least bit easy in my mind.