• Published 27th May 2015
  • 2,480 Views, 514 Comments

Luna's Lacunae - kudzuhaiku



Lacunae: an unfilled space or interval; a gap. A place left unfilled. And Luna discovers one within herself.

  • ...
21
 514
 2,480

Chapter 1

“That one looks like an elephant. I saw an elephant in the newspaper once,” Maeve said as she pointed upwards at the clouds above. “It has a big long sneezer.”

The little girl lay with her head resting upon the ribs of Red Russet, a young earth pony colt. Her shoulders ran parallel to his spine and her head was planted just behind his front shoulders. He lay on his side, his legs kicked out, and his head turned so that he might gaze upwards.

“I have never seen an elephant, so I will take your word for it.”

Red Russet peered through his glasses, straining to see the clouds overhead. He twisted his head around to look at his companion and felt a moment of worry. “Maeve, you’re turning as red as I am red. We’ll both be lectured if you get sunburned again.”

Groaning, Maeve sat up. “I don’t get sunburn. All of my freckles just connect. Painfully.” The young girl stretched and then yawned. “I wonder what time it is?”

“I dunno, we’ve been out here for over an hour,” Red said he struggled to get to his hooves. The colt winced in pain and then cried out as he got up.

Maeve was at his side at an instant, her hands steadying the colt as he wobbled about on unsteady legs. “You didn’t break anything again, did you?” Maeve ran her hand down the colt’s neck, smoothing out his mane, and she adjusted his glasses with her other hand.

“I’m fine. Just hurt to put weight on my fetlocks,” Red Russet replied.

Her lower lip protruding in a sulky pout, Maeve said, “Stupid brittle bones disease.”

Frustrated, Maeve bent down, snatched up her broad brimmed hat, and smooshed it down upon her head to protect herself from the sun. She brushed the grass off of her long dress and smoothed away the wrinkles. She reached into her pocket and pulled out two long gloves. Saying nothing, she slipped them on over her hands and then pulled them up to her elbows. One of the fine white gloves was stained with grass; it matched the grass stain upon her elbow. Now protected against the sun, Maeve sighed and hated how much clothing she was wearing.

The sun was very different here than where she came from, the biggest difference being that the sun rose and fell because there was a magical pony princess controlling it. Her pale, bone white freckled skin was vulnerable to the sun, and the sun here was far, far sunnier, the sunniest sunny sunshine that Maeve had ever seen.

Turning to her rusty red companion, Maeve patted him on the withers as she said, “We should go inside. Do you care for tea?”


Princess Celestia moved through the indoor gardens, looking for somepony, and knowing that she would find them here if she kept looking. The glassed in arboretum was a riot of colour and an oasis of tranquility. After moving past the collection of orchids, Princess Celestia found the pony she was looking for. She saw her sister, Princess Luna, gazing into the reflection pool that was nestled in a bed of crocuses.

“Having trouble sleeping?” Princess Celestia asked of her sister in a gentle voice.

Her head low, her eyes focused upon the water, Princess Luna did not reply.

“Luna, dearest sister, do you feel any regret?” Princess Celestia asked in a soft voice flooded with sisterly concern. “I know I keep asking, but I feel it is my duty as your—”

“No… I still feel no regret for what I have done and I would follow the same course of action once again. I feel no guilt whatsoever,” Luna snapped in irritation as she looked up from the reflecting pool. Her teal eyes were bloodshot. “And do not bring up the fact that I would sleep better if I would just clear my conscious! That is not what troubles my sleep!”

Taking a step backwards, Princess Celestia looked her sister in the eye. “You potentially killed her father and you abducted her from her rightful place. You stole her away and now there is no means of putting her back, even with Twilight Sparkle’s best efforts.” The regal white alicorn shook her head. “You have broken so many rules… violated so many ethical stances—”

“I have ceased to care!” Luna bellowed, her lips and her ears quivering. “Do you not understand that? I no longer care! I did what needed to be done! I feel no guilt for what happened. The troubles in my mind come from what I saw… you were not there… he had her by her hair and he was pushing her down to drown in her own vomit puddle just so he could keep her silenced as he satisfied himself! I will NEVER feel a shred of remorse for what I have done, but I will be haunted for the rest of my impossibly long life by what I saw!”

Taken aback, Princess Celestia’s ears pinned back against her skull and she studied her sister’s eyes. Luna had changed. Whatever Luna once was, she was no longer. “I suppose that some good has come out of this, at least Sorceress Maeve is learning to control her powers,” Celestia said, feeling the need to change the subject before Luna became even more upset. Luna’s moods had always been mercurial, but now, with her troubled sleep, Luna spent far more time being irritable. “How goes the healing of her mind? Do you think the girl will know happiness in time? Will her burdens ever ease?”

Princess Luna deflated, drooping down, going from angry to miserable. Her eyelids drooped, now hanging half open, her ears went limp against her face, and her wings were limp against her sides. “Her mind is alien to me still. She can jump into our minds so readily, but I am still having trouble with hers. I have dulled the pain, softened it, I have muted the memories of what happened, blurred the details, but I have not been able to heal her and take the memories away completely. I would give anything to be able to heal her, to take the hurt away, so that she might live a happy, untroubled life.”

“Luna, she is happy… I mean, she is still a very troubled girl, but have you seen her with Red Russet, the colt of the royal gardener?” Celestia gave Luna a sad smile. “She has friends—”

“Her only friend… a sickly colt with brittle bones disease and bad eyesight. She is too afraid of everypony else and everypony else is too afraid of her, being the weird little alien that she is.” Luna heaved a sigh and shook her head.

“Luna, I think you are forgetting somepony,” Celestia said in a soft, demure, reassuring voice. “You… you two became quite close when battling your way out of the courts of the fey.”

A faint glimmer of happiness appeared in Luna’s teal eyes and they moistened with tears.


Maeve hustled along the path, her long dress swishing around her legs, and the brim of her broad, floppy hat bounced up and down with each step. Behind her, Red Russet followed. Maeve’s slippered feet made only faint sounds as she traipsed over the stone tile walkway. She had been out in the sun too long, and was now starting to feel it. Red Russet’s hooves clopped against the stone path in a well timed rhythm.

With a cry, Red stumbled over the raised edge of one of the stone tiles and stumbled forwards. Maeve, reacting with alacrity, moved in a swift but gawky manner. She turned and tried to keep Red from stumbling, knowing even a minor fall could break many of his bones. Red pitched forward and his bulk brought Maeve down.

They both tumbled to the path, with Maeve cushioning Red’s fall. They both lay there for a moment, and then with a terrible, soul rending screech, Maeve curled up into a fetal position, her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms folded over her knees.

Red disentangled himself, now almost crying himself, knowing that Maeve had some issues. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to!” He backed away a few steps, limping on his left front leg, unable to put weight down upon his hoof. “HELP!”

Within moments, the guards converged, seeming to come out of nowhere, both unicorns and pegasi in golden armor. Only a few moved near Maeve, but they kept a bit of distance. Only one unicorn drew closer, and he moved with his head down low.

“Sorceress Maeve, can you hear me? Are you alright?” the unicorn asked.

The girl gibbered and squeezed her knees to her chest even tighter. She trembled and the sounds of faint muffled sobbing filled the royal gardens. She reached up with one gloved hand and wiped her nose.

Feeling awful, Red Russet crept forward, limping on three legs, his glasses now askew upon his face. Almost crying, he nosed away the brim of Maeve’s hat and then pressed his muzzle into her cheek in an affectionate gesture. “I’m so sorry… I know how you are… it was an accident…”

Crying, Maeve reached out her other hand, the one that did not have a snotty glove over it, and patted Red’s cheek. “I couldn’t save you… you’re limping… I’m sorry too…”

“Take both Sorceress Maeve and Red Russet to the infirmary. See that Maeve gets a cup of her calming tea. Carry them both,” the unicorn commanded.


Clutching her teacup in her trembling hands, Maeve made her best effort not to slosh tea everywhere. Princess Celestia insisted that sloshing tea was behaviour not befitting a sorceress. She watched as the doctor pony bent and flexed Red’s fetlock, feeling very nervous as well as out of sorts.

“Just a bit of a bruise and some tenderness,” Doctor Greycrest said in a reassuring voice. “Lots of swelling though. Try to stay off of it Red… what have I told you about watching where you put your hooves?”

“I messed up,” Red admitted, his ears drooping from guilt.

“Why weren’t you paying attention?” Doctor Greycrest asked.

“Well, I, uh, I was watching Maeve’s dress swish around her weird little legs and feet. The movement was hypnotic… so much flowing fabric,” Red replied.

“Uh huh.” The doctor nodded. “I see.” He turned to look at Maeve. “Ponies are silly creatures. I don’t see how you manage to live around us.”

Even though she felt awful, Maeve began to giggle, causing her to slosh her tea, and adding yet another stain to her dress. She covered her mouth with one hand and tried to hold her giggles in. Giggles were another behaviour ill-befitting a sorceress.

“You had one of your spells, Sorceress Maeve. Are you feeling better?” the doctor asked.

“I just… I just don’t like feeling any weight on top of my body. I’m fine. I did it to myself trying to catch Red. He’s not very big, but he sure is heavy,” Maeve replied, pulling her hand away from her mouth.

“Well, Sorceress Maeve, I hate to do this, but once again, I am assigning you as Red’s nurse. Please, make certain that he stays off of his bad leg as much as possible. The more rest he gets, the faster he will heal, but Red doesn’t seem to understand that.” The doctor turned his head and his stern gaze fell upon the rusty red-brown colt.

“I wish you’d stop calling me ‘Sorceress’ all the time,” Maeve said, her mood turning a bit sulky. She lifted up her teacup and took a sip of the strong medicinal blend.

“Here in Equestria, we recognise those with powerful gifts that have done extraordinary things. Like Princess Cadance, or Princess Twilight Sparkle. You have exceptional magic and you battled alongside Princess Luna against the fey. You are the rightful holder of the Sidhe Crown. You were given the title ‘Sorceress’ to reflect your position. You should feel honoured and proud.” Doctor Greycrest smiled, revealing perfect teeth.

“I’m just a girl. I don’t know how I should feel.” Maeve made a dismissive gesture with her free hand. “I have a magic crown and a magic sword that slices through anything. So what. I live in a land full of magical talking ponies. I am the least special thing that exists here.”

“I’ll get you some burn ointment… your face looks like it has been scorched yet again,” Doctor Greycrest said as he wandered off. “Sorceress Maeve, you returned our beloved Princess Luna to us. For this, we are forever in your debt.”

Author's Note:

I felt inspired... anyhow... tell me what you think. If there is enough interest, I might continue this as a story. Otherwise... this will become a one shot.