• Published 15th May 2012
  • 1,436 Views, 30 Comments

Lunar Dawn - We'll_Never_Know



When war comes to their hometown, nine notable friends must use their Frienship to fight a new war.

  • ...
4
 30
 1,436

Part II: New Allies

Part II: New Allies

One month later...

* * *

After a long day of patrolling, the group of five Lunar soldiers on armored patrol were about to head back to Ponyville. Each vehicle could hold up to eight soldiers, with a driver, a gunner, and six passengers. Armored patrols were necessary now that there were mysterious attacks being reported on Lunar forces on the outskirts of Ponyville. The Lunars thought that, hopefully, the sight of a 25 mm cannon and thick armor would try to dissuade any attack from dissidents.

These reports were strange. At random, there were reports of supply vehicles going missing, and turning up a few days later, dead crew and looted. Any patrols that went out came up with nothing. These fighters were hidden, almost as if they were ghosts.

However, the soldiers were oblivious to any danger, and were simply ready to go back to base and relax.

"Come on", the driver called to the soldiers outside. "The sooner we leave here, the sooner we can get back to base."

"Alright, hold on", one of the soldiers replied. Laughing amongst each other, the group was an unruly one. Discipline was not a major concern of the commanders at the time being. The group started into the rear entrance of the armored vehicle, when something caught their eyes.

Strolling with a small picnic basket in her saddlebag was a young mare, light yellow with a red mane, and a bow to top it off. She strolled casually, but tried to avoid eye contact with the soldiers.

One looked towards his friends. "Hey, want to see what she's up to?"

"Sure", another replied, "why not?"

A third looked toward the driver. "We're going to go see what that mare is up to. Wait here for a bit."
The driver sighed in his seat. "You've got five minutes, okay?" He got out of his position, and made his way over to the back of the vehicle. Meanwhile, three of the soldiers started to advance toward the mare.

"Hey you", one called out. She noticed and looked over, but then turned her head and tried move even faster away from the soldiers. However, they galloped faster, and surrounded her, and one blocked her path with his hoof. Armed for patrol, all three were an intimidating sight to the mare.

"Whoah, easy now", he said to her. "What's a pretty mare like you wandering alone like this?"

"Ah, I don't know", she replied calmly, "minding my own business, I guess."

"Alright", the soldier trailed. "Well, do you mind telling me what's in that basket?"

"Oh, it's nothing important", she replied. "Just some food."

"Is that so", the soldier continued to press on. He motioned to his companions, and they proceeded to push to the ground and hold the mare down with their front hooves.

The mare called out, "Hey! What are you doing?"

"Sorry miss, but could you provide a snack for us", the first soldier asked her sarcastically smirking, and with one hoof, took the basket out of her bag, and taking it in his mouth. He motioned again to his friends, who pushed the mare aside.

"See you later", one called out. "Thanks for the basket!" The group started to laugh their way as they trotted back to the vehicle.

Applebloom drew herself up, looked down sadly, and trotted slowly towards the forest. The soldiers at the vehicle started laughing at her plight, from what she heard. However, she started to smirk as she moved away.

The group returned, and placed the basket into the back of the vehicle. Three huddled together around the basket, while the other two stood at the door way."Alright", one told the group, "want to see what's inside?" The others nodded in agreement. Looking around at first, to heighten the moment, the colt flew open the basket...
With an alarming amount of clicks from pins being pulled out, and an unwelcome sight.

All Applebloom had to hear was: "BUCK! GRENADES!"

The soldiers scrambled to move the box. The two at the doorway started to run away as fast as possible.
BAAAAAANNGGGG!!!!
...and when the fuel caught fire:
THOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Smoke and fire trailed from the ruined vehicle. Disabled completely from the inside, it was an inferno. Three dismembered bodies were strewn around, bodies rendered unrecognizable by shrapnel. Inside, was a mix of blood, torn metal, shrapnel, and wood splinters from the basket. The two survivors outside had ducked just in time, and had little or no injury. They looked up, and saw the mare continuing to walk away.

They got up immediately, and started to gallop toward the mare. "HALT! YOU, STOP IMMEDIATELY!"
Applebloom looked back and saw the two advancing soldiers. She started to gallop quicker toward the forest, but they were gaining on her. She kept on moving, though.

"HALT! STOP!"

Applebloom eventually stopped dead in her tracks, and turned around towards the two soldiers. One drew out his rifle, and took aim at Applebloom. "Stay right there, miss." The other proceeded to try and arrest her.

She smiled as out of the ground, two thin wood slabs flew out of place. Out of the holes, emerged two figures covered in leaves, dry grass and twigs, armed with rifles. Without warning, they opened fire on the two soldiers.

"AAARGGHHHHH", both cried out as they fell, now with about seven rounds each inside of them. Applebloom looked down at the two bodies, starting to bleed into the ground. The two figures emerged from their holes, and joined Applebloom at her side. One of the figures drew back the wrap-around from her head, revealing the face of Applejack.
She looked an saw the damage they had caused. "Good call, sis", Applejack congratulated her sister.

"Thanks", Applebloom replied. "Told you it would work." The other figure drew back the wrap-around from her head as well, showing herself as Rarity.

"Well that was certainly perfectly executed", she commented. She looked over toward the sisters. "I'm starting to get more accurate!"

"That you are", Applejack replied. She looked back over toward the bodies. "Alright Applebloom, you still have the saddlebag, I see."

"Yes I do", Applebloom told her sister.

"Great", Applejack answered. "Let's go, and see what we can use from those bodies..."

* * *

The three made it back to the camp by night. They had found nothing particularly interesting; just some ration bars and ammunition. After showing themselves to Pinkie and Scootaloo (who were on sentry duty), they trotted into the camp. The group got up anxiously to hear the news.

"Did it work? Did they fall for it?"

"Oh they fell for it all right", Applejack assured her friends. They breathed sighs of relief. It was unorthodox, but a clever plan. They started to nod and give words of approval for the success. Applebloom went to put what they had taken in the correct places.

Applejack looked around at her friends. Not long ago, they had come out here seeking refuge, with little knowledge of how to defend themselves and a basic will to survive. Now, they were fighting a war.

Of course, that had some unfortunate results. For one, ever since the invasion, Fluttershy had started to act very hostile, and to a certain extent, insane. She took one assault rifle and kept it for herself, going as far as carving her cutie mark into the stock of it with a knife stolen off of a dead Lunar body. Every time she killed a Lunar in an ambush with the rifle, she carved a hash mark on the other side of the stock. Currently, it had fifteen marks. The group found it very disturbing that she was so hateful. They were used to a peaceful and shy mare, not a killing madpony.

Even more so, they had to survive now on just ration bars and what was left from Derpy's food, as due to their attacks, they would not dare step foot into Ponyville, much less try to visit Derpy and escape with food. They simply hoped it would be okay.

They tried not to dwell on the fact they were killing, but instead looked that hopefully one day they will give in or be overwhelmed by Celestia's forces. And more so, they were the ones who helped make it happen.
After a while, Applejack and the others took a rest by the fire. Scootaloo and Fluttershy took night watch. Their camp had changed since they first arrived. Now, they took some of the camouflage netting from the backs of Lunar supply vehicles and made small tents. One housed their weapons and ammunition, another housed their food, and a larger third was used by one fortunate enough to find a spot to sleep under it.

"Funny how far we've come", Rainbow Dash said sleepily.

"Indeed", Rarity yawned back.

"Alright, everyone", Twilight told the group, pausing to yawn. "Good night." There was a round of "good nights" from the rest of the group. Comfortable around the fire, they started to drift off into sleep.

* * *

Three weeks later...

It was the second attack in a week, and Major Gilda was starting to become furious. These so dubbed "terrorists" by the Lunars were causing about as much casualties as the Solar army on the front. Even their armored patrols were useless against them.

Though originally thought to be Solar Special Operations, analysis on the Lunar bodies revealed that these attackers were using Lunar weapons. These were no commandos; they were a militia. Recently, the group started to make their mark on every attack. The painted or carved the mark of Celestia, to show whom they were fighting for.
As with the first attack, mass executions were ordered. Hopefully, the sight of their friends dying would draw them out and force them to surrender. But things took an entirely different path, when these executions became targets for ambushes.
Entire execution squads were wiped out in seconds, and no one knew who had done it.
Gilda had contemplated on how to resolve this situation without unnecessary deaths and harming the civilian populace further. As she walked towards the command building alongside the commander, she asked her superior officer a question:

"Sir", she started, "Permission to speak freely."

"Granted, Major", the commander replied.

"Thank you, sir", she answered. "I have been thinking, sir, about how to resolve the attacks. Instead of spreading fear throughout the populace, creating a hatred for us, why do we not win their hearts? If they love us, then they will have no reason to have the help of the resistance group."

"What makes you think that, Major", the commander asked.

"Sir", she said, "may I remind you, I was on the other end of a Lunar rifle barrel once. We griffons fought a short guerilla war against your armies, until you started to overwhelm us. We gave in when we saw that you were going to exterminate us."

"A wise choice", the commander noted.

"Er", Gilda said looking nervous,"...yes, sir."
"Your idea, though plausible", the commander stated, "is probably not in the interests of Command right now. I will, however, see that it is suggested when..."

"Pardon me, sir", Gilda cut off, "but we've been denied reinforcements for a while. I personally think it is time we took it upon ourselves..."

"Enough about this, Major", the commander ordered.

"...yes sir", Gilda mumbled under her breath in defeat.
BOOOOMMM!!!!!
Gilda and the commander hit the ground, covering their heads, as something exploded by the building. After the smoke cleared, they looked at the command building, with windows broken and more smoke trailing outside. Gilda walked up to the desolation as the dead and wounded were evacuated.

"You see this,", she began, "Commander? That is the work of our enemies! Do you want to procrastinate further?"

The commander got up and looked at the building, and turned to Gilda.

"Oh, Shut Up."

* * *

Pinkie quickly made it back to the camp. It was hard trying to sneak in the city with her Lunar disguise. It was even more difficult trying to sneak out of the city after the bomb went off. However, she had made it out, safe and sound. When she assured Sweetie Belle, who was on sentry duty, that it was her, she trotted slowly into the camp, where everyone was waiting.

Rainbow Dash was first to ask, "Did it work?"

"Oh, it went perfectly", Pinkie told the group, removing her disguise. They noticed mane was still flat, and it escaped the group exactly why. She didn't seem sad, which would normally be the cause. Twilight suggested it was probably due to the ordeal of the invasion and her life out of Ponyville. Pinkie continued: "I don't think the Lunars will be using that building for a while."

"Excellent job, Pinkie", Rarity told her friend, as the group went to crowd and congratulate Pinkie.

"Yes, it's very brave of you to go alone", Twilight added. "I would have needed backup."

"Thanks", Pinkie answered back. She did feel proud for herself, but at the same time, it was strange to have pride in such a destructive event.

However, Fluttershy was interested in only one thing: "How many do you think you killed, Pinkie?"
The group sighed and rolled their eyes. "It doesn't matter", Applejack told Fluttershy. "What matters is that now they know we mean business, and we are not going to be pushed over. We will NOT take pride in the killing."

"Oh please", Fluttershy answered arrogantly. "You just congratulated Pinkie on her job well done. She killed ponies, didn't she? And you congratulated her, didn't you?"

Applejack and the others looked down and realized what she was saying. Yes, they had just congratulated Pinkie on a killing. Fluttershy smirked. "I have made my point", she told them, and she trotted away arrogantly. The others looked at her and shook their heads in disapproval.

"What are we ever going to do with her", Applejack asked.

"I don't know", Twilight answered. "I just don't know."

* * *

That night the group gathered around the campfire. Having to not want to deal with Fluttershy for the night, they "requested" that she take night watch. Scootaloo offered to partner with her, and the group thought her brave. They gathered around the fire, which illuminated all of them. Wearing their altered uniforms, and some wearing looted officer's berets, they all looked like the rag-tag partisan group they were.

They looked at each other, and they started to all think similar thoughts. Just over a month ago, they were happy-go-lucky mares in Ponyville, with few cares in the world. Now, they were here; surviving and fighting a war, on their own turf and own rules. They would never had thought they would ever be in this position, but they were good at what they did nonetheless.
Pinkie looked up, and asked the group: "I've been thinking... what is the thing you miss the most from Ponyville? I mean, before the war, and all this started?"
The group all paused and thought about it. Twilight was first to speak up. "I guess I miss reading, and being around my friends."

"Same goes here", Applebloom and Sweetie Belle agreed in semi-unison.

"I guess I miss just flying freely", Rainbow Dash said.

"I do miss the farm", Applejack added, looking down. She tried not to think of it, but even now, it was painful to dwell on what happened.

"For me, I guess I miss partying", Pinkie told the group. She then noticed Rarity had said nothing. "What about you Rarity?"
She looked up, and saw that the whole group was looking at her. "Me? Well... there's... um..."

"I bet she's going to say something about her dresses", Rainbow Dash said.

"Actually", Rarity told Rainbow Dash, "no, that's not it."

"Then what is it", Twilight asked. The group now looked more intently and anticipating for Rarity's answer.

Rarity sighed. "Do I really have to say?"

"Yes", was the answer from everyone else in unison.

Rarity looked down, and started to blush. The group started to look even more intently at her, and started to smile. "Rarity why are you blushing", Pinkie asked in a joking manner.

Rarity looked up again, her cheeks red as roses. "Alright, I'll tell you... "

"but it's not something, per say, rather someone..."

Rainbow Dash was getting impatient "Tell us already!"

Rarity knew there was no getting out of this. "Fine..."

"The person I miss most is Spike..."

In almost perfect unison, the group let out a loud "AAAWWWWWWWWWWWW", and started to giggle.
Rarity continued to blush, as the group laughed. "Come off it, you knew he had a crush on me for a long time. He's quite charming, actually."

"Yeah, but we didn't expect you to return the feeling, sugarcube", Applejack told her, still chuckling.
Rarity started to become serious. "So you thought I was incapable of loving him back?"

"What! No nothing like that", Twilight tried to defend the rest of the group.
She got up. "So you think that I cannot have feelings for Spike."

"Well, he's a little young for you...", Rainbow Dash noted.

"...and he's a dragon", Applejack added.

Rarity scoffed, and looked down. She didn't think it was too crazy. She had shared the feeling with him for a while. She looked at her "friends". "I'm going out", she said, "to clear my head. Don't follow me." She trotted off, and the group watched as she left the fireside. A strange feeling of guilt hung over them.
Pinkie asked the rest "We didn't hurt her, did we?"

"I don't think so", Sweetie Belle answered.

Twilight considered what happened for a moment. Sure, they thought it was cute that Rarity did miss Spike, but they hadn't gone too, had they? After a few moments, Twilight got up too.
Pinkie asked, "Where are you going?"

"To see where Rarity went", Twilight answered.

"She's just having a drama moment right now", Rainbow Dash told Twilight. "She'll get over it."

"I just want to talk with her", Twilight said indignantly. She then trotted off to follow Rarity...

* * *
When Twilight had found Rarity, she was laying in the small field outside of the camp and the rock formation that protected it. Twilight carefully moved toward her friend. She was looking at some sort of flower she picked from the ground, suspending it in the air with her magic. She looked dreamily at it, her thoughts dwelling elsewhere. Twilight took a position next to Rarity, who barely took notice of her.

"So", Twilight started, sitting down. "You and my assistant, huh?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes", Rarity answered back.

"How long has it been", Twilight asked.

Rarity looked at Twilight, and then back at her flower. "We've been...seeing each other... in secret for about a year."

"Well, now I know what he did in his spare time", Twilight joked. Rarity chuckled. She then looked a little more intently at her flower. "I worry for him, Twilight."

Twilight looked at her friend. "You didn't seem too concerned when he was captured", she noted.

"Yes, but that was because I didn't want to say anything", Rarity tried to explain, "and my mind was set on escaping that dreadful invasion!"

"We all wanted to escape, and we did", Twilight told Rarity. "In case you didn't notice, I was having trouble pulling myself together when he was captured."

"Believe me, I shared your grief", Rarity told her. "I just didn't show it at the time. And now... I can't help but think what's become of him."

Twilight smiled. She hadn't told her (or anyone for that matter), about what she had learned about Spike...

Twilight drew close to Rarity and whispered in her ear, "Spike's alive. He's safe."

Rarity's eyes widened, and she drew her head back, staring at Twilight as if she was insane. "How do you know?"

"When I was watching... Big Mac's execution", Twilight started, "I noticed him in a crowd..."
Rarity cut in, "Good Gracious! Do you think they are going to kill him?"

"Well, he was standing close to what I thought were Lunar officers", Twilight considered. "I would think he's doing what he can to stay alive."

Rarity gasped. "Do you think he would betray us?"

"No, absolutely not", Twilight assured her friend. "If anything, I would say he's feeding them lies about us. If I know Spike, he will always protect who he cares about."

This reassured Rarity. She felt a little more at peace knowing that he was alive. She still wondered though... "Do you think I will ever see him again."

Twilight stroked her mane. "I hope so, Rarity", she told her. Twilight looked out into the distance. There was no telling what this war had in store for them...

"I hope so..."

* * *

Two nights later, Major Gilda washed up, and got into uniform. She had a meeting with the collaborator, and she was running short on time. She went downstairs, to a room where the collaborator was being held. An armed guard stood at the doorway. She saluted the guard, and he saluted back.

"I'm here to see our friend", she told the guard.

"Yes, ma'am, this way", the guard answered, holding the door open for Gilda. The griffon walked inside a decent living room. There was a couch, a few chairs, and a table in the middle. On the chair closest to her, sat her commander. She saluted him, and he motioned for her to take a seat. On the chair opposite, sat a young dragon, young, yet old enough to look rather conspicuous, and looking nervous. He had a purple tone, with green large scales protruding from his spinal column. The commander gave a reassuring smile to him. Gilda took her seat on the couch, and saw the dossier on the table.

"Now", she started, looking towards the collaborator, "thank you for coming out her tonight."

"No problem", the dragon answered, smiling back, rubbing his hands together.

"Good", Gilda said, nodding her head. "Now we want to ask you a few questions about your past and former associates, is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am", the dragon answered. Gilda looked at her commander, who nodded at her. She then proceeded to take her clawed foot and open the dossier. Inside were a few documents and pictures, which would be necessary for the interrogation.

"Now, Mr...", Gilda trailed, forgetting the collaborator's name.

"Spike", the dragon answered.

"Yes, thank you, Mr. Spike", Gilda answered, and she cleared her throat. "You used to work for a pony here in Ponyville. Princess Celestia's student, was it not?"

"Yes ma'am", the dragon answered truthfully.

"Good", Gilda answered. "Now this student, she had friends yes?"

"Yes, ma'am", the dragon answered truthfully again.

"Do you recall names?"

The dragon looked down. In his mind, he perfectly well knew all of them, especially one...

"I didn't ever get to know any of her friends. I stayed out of her business." It was good lie, he thought. He was going to give as little information about them if he could. He wanted to protect his friends, wherever they were.

"Fair enough", Gilda said, moving on.

"Do you think that these friends could pose a threat, if they wanted to?"

"Why do you ask", Spike questioned.

Gilda sighed, and looked at the collaborator. "You have probably heard that there has been a few... attacks on Lunar forces in the last few months. We don't know who or what is causing them, but we noticed there were nine mares missing, recorded in the city records. Now, usually we would have just moved on and assumed they were dead, but interestingly, these attacks occurred after their supposed escape."

"And you think it's them", the dragon asked.

"You haven't answered my question, Mr. Spike", Gilda told the dragon. "I asked, can they pose a threat?"

"I don't know.", the dragon answered.

"How can you not know, you worked for Celestia's student for...", Gilda asked.

"I. Don't. Know", Spike cut in. Gilda gave him a menacing look, then calmed down. She closed the dossier, and looked toward her commander, who motioned that they should leave. She turned back to the dragon.

"Well, thank you for your time", she told him.

"My pleasure", Spike assured her, shaking hands. Gilda then proceeded with her commander outside of the door, and into the hallway.

"Do you think he's completely honest, sir", she asked the commander.

"He has nothing to lose, Major", he answered. "Why would he lie?"

"Sir, I have a feeling he's not telling us something", Gilda told him.

"If we find he's lying", the commander told her, "we'll send him to the prison camp, or shoot him. Does that sound fair to you?"

"Yes sir", Gilda responded. She saluted her officer, and walked away to her quarters.

* * *

The next morning, the group woke up from a long night's rest. They hadn't attacked in a few days. They tried not to attack in any sort of schedule, in order to avoid being caught. Today was another day off for them. They began the routine of stretching, and going to the tent to get a ration bar or some other form of food for their breakfast. All tired and sluggish, they figured they would simply stay within the camp for the day.

Of course, they had to be someone to make sure that they weren't being discovered. So Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo went to patrol the area after breakfast.

The ones that stayed all gathered around the fire, and Fluttershy went out to get the sticks necessary to start it. When she returned, she laid them down, and Twilight used her magic to light the fire with them. They sat around quietly, looking at the fire, and eating their breakfast. After they were done, Fluttershy got up to collect some herbs and plants for later use.
For the entire group the days felt as if they were getting slower, and that more boring. "If there's one thing I'll die of out here", Rainbow Dash had once joked, "it's boredom." It still made the group chuckle thinking of it. It was true; when they weren't ambushing Lunars, they were living in the camp. Thanks to its isolated location, and their ability to cover their tracks, their life had become more routine and adjustable. However, this did not excuse homesickness, but living among friends helped.

They all reclined and started to daydream. They could talk, but none of them had anything interesting to say at the moment. Laziness had swept in, and taken root in all of the group.

That is, until something came up. Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash came flying low back into the camp. The group shot up. Applejack was first to ask: "What's going on?"

"There's Lunar army vehicle", Rainbow Dash replied. It's headed past us, but it was carrying a lot of soldiers."

"And they were armed", Scootaloo added.

"How many", Twilight asked.

"I counted about fifteen", Scootaloo answered, "but I didn't have much time to figure it out."

"Then why should we be worried", Rarity asked, "If they don't know we're here, we're safe."
But the situation sat around Applejack's head. Sure, it was probably a patrol, yet again missing them, but a group as large as Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo described couldn't mean anything too good either. She decided on the latter.

"Can you follow it", Applejack asked Rainbow Dash.

"It was moving in a straight line. I'm pretty sure I'll find it eventually", she answered.
"Good, good", Applejack said, moving over to the weapons tent and starting to load up. She took the rifle, placed a magazine inside, and cocked it, placing it in the sling on the saddle.

"You aren't actually considering going out there, are you", Rarity asked.

"I sure am", Applejack replied, "and I kindly ask you come with me. I don't think those Lunars mean to good, with their weapons and all."

"So you want to go out and meet them", Pinkie asked.

Applejack put a few magazines in the saddle, and readied her sidearm, placing it in the holster. She looked at Pinkie and smirked.

"You were always good at making surprises..."

Pinkie smiled back, and she proceeded to gear up as well. Twilight went second, and soon, the entire group was gearing up and readying to go. Applejack grinned when she saw this. She started to organize the group.

"Alright, Rarity grab those grenades, put them in your pack. Applebloom, take some extra rounds. Twilight, get some medical supplies if we need it..." It went on in a similar fashion until they were ready.

"Let's go pay these Lunars a visit", Applejack said, putting on her hat, and then leading the group away.

* * *

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy wore the camo wrap-arounds, staying slightly ahead of the group. When it was safe to move up, Rainbow Dash would signal, and the group would continue to creep forward. They couldn't afford being detected by the enemy.

They tracked the Lunar vehicle for about two hours, until they saw where it stopped. It was a small collection of four buildings, built around in a circle. There was enough room between them for the vehicle to have passed through. Applejack and the rest tactically moved, trying to stay away from sight, and took up positions behind the buildings. Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked quickly over the corners.

Down the alley were a few bins and an overturn table. Judging by the appearance of the building, along with assorted objects scattering the ground, it was easy to judge this was a storage space. They saw in the center, was about eight of the fifteen strong detachment on the ground. Their officer was yelling at a colt and his wife.

"What are you hiding in these storehouses? Are you supplying the rebels?"

The colt nervously shook. "Nnn...no sir. We've...We've been holding extra food here, just in case..."

A hoof struck the colt down. The officer looked down and spat on the stumbling colt. The mare tried to help her husband, but was pushed back by one of the soldiers.

The mare grew panicked. "Please! Stop it! Please!" When her husband had started to get up, he was thrown down again by the officer.

Applejack look at the scene, and decided something needed to be done here. She motioned for everyone to gather on her. Quickly and silently, the group gathered around Applejack.

"All right, here's the plan", she started. "Applebloom, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash, you're all with me. We're going to go down this alley, and take up positions behind those bins and the table." She looked again, and saw the alley across from them had a similar deposition. "Alright, Fluttershy, Pinkie and Scootaloo, take up position over there." She pointed with her hoof where they were heading. "When you feel it's right, take the shot. Remember, hostiles only; no enemy survivors"
"What about me and Rarity", Sweetie Belle asked. Applejack looked at one of the building. It had a flat roof; easily accessible. There was an awning that was ramped, though.

"Alright ", Applejack said, pointing to the building. "I want you two on top of that roof there."

"What, are you insane", Rarity told Applejack .

"You have the grenades", Applejack said. "I want you to roll a few down that awning, on down right onto the enemy. Hopefully, My and Pinkie's assault will drive them into the corner.
Rarity sighed. "Fine, I'll do it." She then went with Sweetie Belle to the other building, and scaled the roof, getting down flat upon arrival, and started to crawl towards the edge.

"What do you want me to do sister", Sweetie Belle asked.

"Give me grenades when I tell you to, alright", Rarity answered.
The officer continued to abuse the husband with blows and scourges, until he called one of his soldiers .

"I want every spot of the..." It was standard talk. There are obviously just "following orders."

"I also want these two dead or taken prisoner."

"What about the colt", one of the soldiers asked. "I don't think he can get up on his own right now."

"Then shoot the bucker", the officer told him.

Applejack nodded to the rest of her group, and they all cocked their guns ready. She looked up on the roof and saw Rarity in position. When she felt confident, she started to move into the alleyway.

Two soldiers tried to steady the mare and one was readying his rifle for the colt. The others were assorted around the perimeter or in the vehicle. The soldiers tried to force down the mare who started to resist. When she looked up, she saw the outline of Applejack. Applejack motioned that the mare should get down. When she finally fell, she kept down and stopped struggling.

Applejack took the rifle, and slammed down the bipod to the standing position. The noise attracted the attention of one of the guards, and soon, both looked over to see Applejack.

Then, after two discharges, two bullets wizzed through the air from seperate directions. And both hit the soldiers directly in head, making a mess and dropping both instantly.

"Contact!"

The soldiers gathered their weapons and the two squads started to lay down their volley on the soldiers. In a frenzied motion, brass fell from the ejection ports, and bullets flew at high velocities to where they were shot at. With a deadly barrage of bullets, it was hard for the Lunars to dodge them. The driver got out of the vehicle, but was immediately taken down by a bullet from Fluttershy's rifle. The Lunars who didn't make it to behind cover in time were too mowed down by the ambush.

The surviving Lunars, numbering ten, looked around. They took their rifles out, and started to return fire, unsuccessfully hitting any of the ambushers. Rarity knew this was her chance. "Alright, Sweetie Belle, hand me one." Sweetie Belle handed one off with her magic. She suspended it in the air, and looked down on the Lunars and grinned. She pulled the pin, and the spoon came off. She then laid the grenade on the slope, and let it roll down. It fell in the midst of several Lunars.

"GRENADE! GRENADE! GET OUT OF THE..."

BAAAANNGGGG!!!!

Three unfortunate Lunars were caught in the blast. Out of those who made it out, two were cut down by gun fire. The four of the five surviving Lunars started to try to hold out with their sidearms, and one with his rifle. They made it behind a small piece of cover, and Rarity drew her rifle. She stumbled back when the Lunar with the rifle fired on her position.
The group came out of the alleyway and started to engage the enemy head out. Applejack rested her rifle on an overturned table, and took aim at the Lunars. These last five were putting up a good fight. However, Applejack managed to take one down. Fluttershy got another almost immediately after. They reloaded and moved on.
In the midst of the chaos, Rainbow Dash flew out, and hovering, started to shoot. The Lunars took cover, save one, who took a rifle wound to the side. She went back down on the ground and looked around. She saw a Lunar Soldier wounded, trying to reach his sidearm. He was almost done, when Rainbow Dash drew up her rifle and...

click!

That was it. click! Rainbow Dash looked at her gun. It couldn't be out, could it? Was it jammed? At any other time, this would be humorous. But now, in battle, this was deadly. She tried desperately to find out what was going on. The Lunar drew up his sidearm, and aimed it directly at Rainbow Dash. There was no chance he could miss. Rainbow Dash looked in terror as he started to squeeze the trigger...

Applejack was still firing at the other Lunars, when she saw Rainbow Dash's predicament. She then rushed over to Rainbow Dash. She jumped up and pushed her out of the way...

"AAAGGH!!!"

Applejack tumbled to the ground. Rainbow Dash got up, and saw her friend, laying there on the ground, hat near her. She crawled over to her. She looked up, and saw the Lunar was going to try for another shot.
Until a hoof came shooting out from Applejack, holding a sidearm, and pulling the trigger. No sooner had the casing hit the ground, did the bullet speed its way to its target. When it hit, the bullet painted the ground with the Lunar's blood and brain matter.

Rainbow Dash looked down in confusion, and saw Applejack with both eyes open, and one hoof covering her face. Rainbow Dash pushed it aside, and saw the wound that Applejack received.

"How bad is it", Applejack asked.

"Not too bad", Rainbow Dash answered. She was grazed by the bullet on the left cheek. Not much, and Twilight could patch it up. But Rainbow Dash figured it probably would leave a scar. Twilight came over with her bag, and both her and Rainbow Dash moved Applejack to a safer location, and Twilight got to work patching Applejack up.

It hurt, but it was necessary. Applejack did flinch and clenched her teeth in pain a few times, but it was alright. She looked at the carnage. Pinkie was checking the mare and the colt. Unfortunately, despite her warning, both the mare and her husband had been caught in the crossfire. During the battle, they had bled out, and there was nothing they could do now. Once Twilight had patched her face up enough, Applejack motioned for her to stop, and she got up. Applejack then went to pick up her hat, and placed it on her head once more.

"Alright", Applejack started, "let's go before anyone catches us." The group nodded in agreement, and they moved out back to camp.
* * *
Gilda was not in the best of moods at the moment. The report had just come in, and she was going to show the commander. It was ridiculous to her now, that this happened. She knew now, things were very serious, and they needed to take much more action. This was simply unacceptable.

Since the bombing of the command building (one that had taken three lives), the lower level of the mayor's residence were now used to house the command in Ponyville. The commander now used his quarters to run certain operations. Gilda stormed in with the reports, and threw them onto his table.

"Fifteen, sir", she started. "Fifteen of our guys. Just, wiped out. And two civilian casualties. And sir, guess what, we don't know who did this one either."

The commander looked over and read the reports. Yesterday, a fifteen-strong group went to investigate a supposed dissident on the outskirts of Ponyville. Now, they were all found dead with the suspected couple. By the looks of it, it was almost certainly another ambush. The commander sighed. It was hard to see all of his soldiers die.

"Major Gilda", the commander began, "I have requested Command send us more reinforcements over and over, but they are too tangled up with the Solars right now..."

"Sir, we have been ignored for too long...", Gilda cut in.

"Let me finish", the commander said. "Command did say in light of the recent attacks on our armored vehicles, and I'm sure this one would help too, they are going to see what they can do."

Gilda sighed. "How long do you think it will take for Command to keep a promise, sir?"

"I don't know, Major", the commander answered, "but at least be thankful they've noticed our plight."
"Yes sir", Gilda replied and saluted. She walked out of the room. Still disgruntled, she was somewhat satisfied with the result. But overall, she couldn't stand that Command was ignoring them. Hopefully, this new "help" would do something useful.

* * *

A few days later, the group was eating breakfast by the fire. A silence hung over them, as they had nothing interesting to say at the moment. Applejack's wound was starting to heal, which was good. However, the clear mark of the stitching was still present. It had hurt, but Applejack was able to take the pain.

Fluttershy, to their disapproval, had gone to work adding the hash marks on the stock of her rifle. At the moment, she was cleaning it, making sure there wasn't any dirt or other things clogging the receiver.
The morning was cool; not too sunny. It had been getting colder for the last few months, but it was tolerable. As a result of their last engagement, the group decided to lay low for a while, and not draw attention to themselves. Though they had succeeded in wiping out the Lunar soldiers, they felt sorry that the colt and his wife were killed in the process.

"Quiet, isn't it", Sweetie Belle noted.

"Have anything interesting to say", Rarity asked.

Sweetie Belle shrugged. "Nothing I can think of."

FWOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM

FWOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

Two objects flew across the skies at high speeds. The entire group dropped what they were doing and viewed the skies.
There were two aircraft, dogfighting it out across the clouds. Rainbow Dash's face grew ecstatic. She started to fly up to try and get a better look. When they started to move away, she tried to move along with them.

"Where are you going", Pinkie asked.

"Oh come on, this is too awesome to pass up", Rainbow Dash replied. "I may never get see anything like this again."
"Fine, go", Applejack said, "but take a rifle with you at least!"

"Okay", Rainbow Dash replied joyfully. She took a rifle from the tent, and flew low to find the best spot to see the spectacle.

* * *

She quickly flew to an open spot, just outside the rock bed. She set herself down and looked to the skies. Quickly maneuvering, and speeding across the skies, were two fighters. She tried to see which was which, but she could not see the roundels to be sure. She was still thrilled at the sight.

The fighters were almost identical, further hindering identification. The pegasus was encased in a mobile vehicle. A metal wing shooting straight out protruded from each side. On each was mounted objects known as "missiles". Both had two tail fins in the rear, above the engines, which were powered by the pegasus's wings. This was the reason that only pegasi could fly these vehicles; the wings were absolutely necessary.

"This is sooooo awesome" , she said to herself. Not for a second would she take her gaze off the skies. She kept on thinking of what she'd give to be up there with them...
She saw one of the fighters zip down, and then arced back up. Unfortunately, this was just what the other fighter was waiting for. She saw a trail of smoke as a missile left the pursuing fighter, hitting it right in the rear. Smoke trailed as the fighter started to fall apart in air. Rainbow Dash watched with mixed horror and enthusiasm as the aircraft dropped from the skies, crashing somewhere distant.

However, she saw something falling from a parachute. As it came closer, she saw it was a pegasus. In full gear, he fell gracefully by a parachute attached below the wings, humorously arching him as he fell. She saw that he would land not far from where she was now, so she followed the parachute as it fell.

Once he landed, Rainbow Dash slowly flew towards the pegasus. She couldn't (and didn't bother to find out) which side he belonged to, so she kept her rifle close, hovering over him. Helmet still on, he seemed unconscious, or worse, dead. To make sure, she poked him with the barrel of her rifle.
Immediately the body grunted, and turned over to see Rainbow Dash. She couldn't tell what he looked like due to the helmet.

"Huhh...", he let out.

He noticed her there, and he tried to reach for his sidearm. Rainbow Dash cocked her rifle and aimed it at the pegasus. She shouted, "Solar or Lunar!"

The pilot was hasty to drop his hooves and reply. "Whoah! Solar! Solar!"

"How can I be sure", she asked, now ready to kill him if he was lying.

"Check the bucking patches", he replied. She looked on his uniform. The Solar symbol, along with a unit symbol were on there. Upon closer inspection, she recoginized that symbol...
She looked at the pilot skeptically. "Remove your helmet. Now", she commanded. The pilot hastened to do so. When she saw the helmet come off, her mouth dropped from shock. She definitely recognized the patch, and more so, the pilot in front of her...

* * *

The group waited for Rainbow Dash's return. They had heard the explosion, and saw the smoke trail. The battle was over, but where was Rainbow Dash?

"Dang it, Rainbow Dash, where are you", Applejack said to herself. She got up. "Applebloom, Scootaloo. Go and see if you can find that dreamer." Both of them got up and started to trot to where she went. They didn't make it far before they stopped, and took a step back.

"Well what is it", Rarity asked.

"Rainbow Dash is coming...", Scootaloo told the group.

"...but she's got company", Applebloom added.

The group got up, and was going to prepare and get the weapons, when they saw Rainbow Dash escorting another figure into the camp. In a full flight suit, the pegasus was obviously one of the pilots shot down. The group looked in awe at him as he took a seat by the fire. Their eyes seemed to trail every movement, making him feel a little uncomfortable.
"Is that...", Fluttershy started.

"Yep", Rainbow Dash answered.

The group gave him a few minutes to relax. Applejack looked over in disbelief, and moved toward the pilot, moving away those in her way. She took a seat, and started staring straight at him with an intrigued look. He looked nervously at her.

"Errr... what do you want", he asked.

"Who are you", Applejack asked.

"I am a Lieutenant Colonel in the Solar Royal Air Force, Wonderbolts Squadron. Service Number 72-678-393. Call sign
"Soarin'" at your service ma'am", he said proudly, giving her a salute. She raised her hoof in attempted salute back. The pilot chuckled.

"Why were you flying over here", Twilight asked.

"I was being chased. There was an air battle over Canterlot, and I got separated from the main group. Some of their guys broke off and chased me. I decided to take a stand."

"How did you get shot down", Rainbow Dash asked.

"It was five to one. I got four", Soarin' said boastfully. "Fifth bucker got lucky." The group looked generally impressed at the feat. Twilight came over and examined Soarin' to make sure he was okay.

"Well you seem fine", Twilight observed.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little jostled by the eject, that's all", the pilot answered.

Applejack got up, and looked at Soarin'. "Well, um, welcome to our little camp. It ain't much, but it'll do. Tell me or one of the others if you need anything."

"Alright, thanks for the courtesy", Soarin' replied.

Twilight went to the food tent. "Need anything to eat? Drink?" Soarin' looked at her.

"If you've got water that isn't dirty, then that's fine", he told her. She went and got a canteen and filled it from the stream. He then looked at the tent. "Is that entire thing filled with food."

"Mostly ration bars and what we can scavenge. But, yeah", Pinkie answered.

"Heh", Soarin' said. "You mares should consider yourselves lucky, having all that food. Ponies in Appleloosa would give anything for some of what you've got. They're surviving on small creatures and stale bread, and..." He stopped and paused, staring at the ground.

Rainbow Dash had become interested "And?"

"Well... each other", Soarin answered. "They light the funeral pyres at night; it's barbaric."

Rarity was shocked at the idea: "Good Gracious!"

"Well, they've gotta survive somehow", Soarin' told her.
* * *
Later once Soarin' was completely settled, the group gathered around the fire again. Soarin' was still sipping his water when Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Applebloom came up to him. He noticed them. "Anything I can help you with?"

"We just want to ask a few questions", Scootaloo said.

"You mares sure are chatty...", Soarin' noted.

"Well, it's just been us nine for over a month. We were starting to forget there was anyone else we could talk to."

"Fair enough", the pilot said, "Shoot. What do you want to know?"

"How do you fly one of those things", Applebloom asked.

"It's not simple, I can tell you that", Soarin' replied, "but what they do is that they put the pegasus's wings in a sort of machine in the fighter. The machine locks onto my wings, and then I can give it power. In front of me is a control stick, and on those are triggers for my gun and missiles."

"So, only pegasi can fly them", Sweetie Belle said.

"Well, only the fighters and bombers", Soarin' told them. "But they have developed a sort of aircraft for earth and unicorn ponies to fly as well. It's a strange contraption."

Sweetie Belle moved out for a moment, and returned carrying a beret with her magic. She placed it in front of Soarin'. "See that", she said, "took it off a Lunar officer."

Soarin' inspected it. "Well, it looks like it belonged to a corporal", he observed. "But it'll do just fine on a Colonel", he continued, putting it on.

"Ahem", Pinkie cut in.

Soarin' looked over at her."Yes?"

"If it's alright with you, then we'd all like to ask you a question", she declared. The others nodded in agreement. Soarin' turned over an looked at the group as whole.

"What do you want to know?"

"We want to know", Applejack started to ask, "what's going on in the outside world. How's the war going? Who's winning?"

The pegasus looked down into his mug. "Well, it could be better."
"
What do you mean", Rarity asked.

"Well, here's the situation", he said. He started motioning with his hoof.

"We've got these territories here, to the north. In the mountains, Celestia's got her own fortress. She's safe there." He motioned to a western portion. "Here is where I fly out of: Marejave Desert. The airfield was attacked during the initial invasion, but we repelled them." He then made four marks in the dirt, and everyone got up to see. "These things here, represent cities that weren't so lucky." He pointed to one. "That one there is Manehattan. It was captured in matter of hours; there was no escape." He pointed to one above the second he made. "That one's Canterlot. Lunar pegasi brought that place down, save a few buildings. The princess made it out though. What's left is under Lunar control." Twilight started to look concerned. He then pointed to another far off one. "That one's Appleloosa. Even though they got hoofs on the ground initially, our boys drove them out. But then they just encircled us. They're not getting out easily." He then looked at the second one he made. "Well, then there's your town: Ponyville. So close and yet so far..."

"What about Cloudsdale", Rainbow Dash cut in, asking.

Soarin' looked nervously in his drink for a moment, then chuckled nervously. "Cloudsdale's gone."

Rainbow Dash was confused "What do you mean ,captured?"

"No", the pilot said, "I said gone. Cloudsdale no longer exists; it's history. The Lunars obliterated it. Not a trace left."

Rainbow Dash dropped her mouth in shock. A city as great as Cloudsdale... gone? The rest of the group looked concerned as well.

"Who's winning", Twilight asked.

"Well, for the moment, our counter-attack is going pretty well", Soarin' said. "Not perfect, but we're getting there."

"Who's on either side", Pinkie asked.

"Well, the griffons are in league with the Lunars", the pilot stated. "They came in after the main Lunar one. As for us", he took another sip of his water, "we've got 500,000 buffalo on our side."

"Last I heard, there were a million", Applebloom said.

"There were", the pilot replied. The group looked uneasily at each other when they realized the meaning of the grim statement.

"Alright...", Applejack trailed. "Er, thank you, I guess"

"No problem", Soarin' answered. He then looked over and saw Fluttershy carving something into the stock of her rifle. He had noticed the hash marks earlier, too.

"All that hate's gonna burn you up", he warned her.

She looked up. "Yeah, well, it keeps me warm."

* * *

Major Gilda sat in her temporary office, doing reports. They hadn't struck in a few days, but she was always on her watch. She was now awaiting intelligence. Apparently, from one of the things the collaborator had said, they had found something in the records regarding the "student of Celestia."

Gilda was simply overworked. She expected that this invasion would go smoothly, and without much trouble. But now... all these attacks and killings was making her life hell. She wished she could be back home, but her place was with her soldiers.

Gilda raised her head when she saw young mare walk in, dropping the dossier on her desk. "Thank you", replied. She then proceeded to open and read the information. She then noticed some odd things about this pony, and...

She went down the halls, and to the commanders office. She knocked, and she heard a voice from behind say, "come in."

The commander looked at Gilda, holding the dossier. "Where did you get that Major", the Commander asked.

"Sir, I requested these come in, and look at what we've found", she said, slamming the dossier on the desk. Out spilled were news clippings, medical records, and other documents concerning the subject of the dossier. "Sir, I've found our ambushers. The student of Celestia, along with five of her friends, were all present at Nightmare Moon's return. They were the ones rumored to have tried to fight her before Celestia came it.

"And", the Commander asked.

"That means", Gilda said, "that they aren't as easy to kill as we thought. If they were capable to standing up to an alicorn, then our soldiers must be nothing."

The commander overlooked the general files for each of the suspects. Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkimena Diane Pie, and Fluttershy. Six friends; one problem. "We should put notices out for all six of these mares", the commander said, "in case they wander out in the streets.

"I'll have my boys do it immediately, sir", Gilda answered, saluting the commander.

"Yes, Major, you are dismissed", the Commander said. "Thank you for the intel."

"It was my plessure sir", Gilda replied, then something came to mind. "Sir, what should we do with our little 'collaborator'".
The commander thought for a second. "Well, if he knew these things all along ,then that can't go unpunished... see that he is kept under house arrest."

"Yes, sir", Major Gilda replied.

* * *

Two days later, Rainbow Dash looked from a distance as Soarin' did some flying exercises. She was completely distracted by the pegasus. Here he was, her childhood idol, right before her, and as far as she was concerned, living among her and her friends. She looked dreamily at him...

"I know that look", a familiar voice came from behind. Rainbow Dash broke out of her trance to see it was Rarity.

"Oh please, Rarity" Rainbow Dash replied. "Who are you to talk."

"Hmmm, I don't really know", she answered. "What I do know is that you're liking what you're seeing.

"Heh, you're the one wanting to date a dragon", Rainbow Dash tried to defend.

"Darling, you're the one staring at a pegasus that's much older than you", Rarity noted.

"Touché" Rainbow Dash replied, knowing she was beat. She did like him, but would she ever consider...
Rarity put a reassuring hoof on Rainbow Dash's back, and winked. "It's alright. We'll keep it between us okay?"

"Alright", Rainbow Dash answered. She liked him, but not in that way... or did she?

She was very confused.

* * *

That night, Rarity walked back through the camp, and saw Twilight rummaging through some supplies. The others were meeting with Soarin' out by the watch fire. She had thought about it, and now she asked. "Twilight, do you see any writing material in there?"

"What do you need it for", Twilight asked.

"Just, is it there", Rarity asked indignantly. Twilight continued to look through all the gear packs that they found off of dead Lunars. She went on until she found one with a service journal and a pen.

"Will this do", Twilight asked, holding both up with her magic.

"Perfect", Rarity replied, taking it for herself. She tore out a page and started to write her own letter. Twilight stopped her rummaging and became curious.

"What are you writing", she asked.

"Oh, just a letter", Rarity replied.

"To who", Twilight started to pry, with a hint of friendly suspicion in her voice.

"Ugh", was Rarity's only response, before finishing and folding up the paper. She placed it in the pockets of one of the uniforms. She sighed, and looked at Twilight. "It was a letter to Spike. Hopefully, when this is all over, I can give it to him personally."

"Well, that's sweet", Twilight answered.

"Yes...", Rarity trailed. Here she was again: lovesick over Spike. She wanted the war to end so desperately, so everything could go back to normal, and she could see him again...
* * *
At the meeting, Soarin' took the lead, drawing out a map with his hoof. Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie and Applejack gathered around. For the last hour, they had been planning a surprise attack. Soarin' had heard about the camp from Applejack, and from what she described it as, he felt they had a shot of shutting it down. Now, they were organizing such a move. Right now, the plan was that hopefully, the first vehicle they had killed the crew of, would work. Then, they would drive in, with the driver (played by Applejack), be disguised, and start a riot. They had enough rifle crates to arm the prisoners, so hopefully that would aid in the attack.

"...alright, we're going to flank them here", he told them, "and take out whatever we find. Hopefully, it'll be an easy in and out mission, but I'm not sure what's going to happen. Any questions?"
"Yes, I do", Applejack said. "What in the hay is a flank, other than the other side of a pony?" Soarin' looked down, and rubbed his hoof on his face. This was going to be more complicated then it needed to be.

"Look, here's the plan simply", Soarin told them. "We're going to go in, using that vehicle, and we're going to shoot whatever Lunars we see. And then we'll arm and free the prisoners. Simple enough?" The small group agreed it was. "Alright", Soarin said, exhaling. "Tomorrow, we've got a vehicle to get working."

* * *

The next night, the guards at the camp gate were getting lazy. The prisoners were constantly complaining, and more and more had to be put out of their misery. However, it was ultimate boredom.
Then they saw a vehicle coming up to the camp. They weren't told they were getting any supplies that day. To be sure, one of the three guards took binoculars and looked into the driver seat.

No fooling; there was a figure in a Lunar army uniform in there. But by regulation, they had to stop the vehicle. So when it approached, the head guard, placed up a hoof and it stopped when it reached the guard station.
The guard moved towards the driver's window, and he looked up:

To see a mare holding a pistol to his face.

BANG!

The guard dropped instantly, and his two friends were alerted by the gunshot. Before they could react, Fluttershy and Soarin' came out of their hiding positions in the rear of the vehicle and cut down both of the guards relatively quickly.

"Hold on back there", Applejack yelled out as she started the throttle. It was amazing; she had no previous experience driving, but she was already like a pro. The vehicle then moved forward into the camp, getting the attention of both the Lunar soldiers and the inmates. The inmates recognized that this is what they were waiting for, and they ran towards to vehicle. The Lunars were torn between gunning down the fleeing prisoners and at the intruders. Some already were firing on the vehicle, and Rainbow Dash was returning fire. Round after round, Lunar soldiers dropped, and she stayed alive. Soarin' and Pinkie were on the other side, handing out assault rifles.

"One per person! One per person! Come on, let's go", Pinkie called out. The prisoners eagerly took the rifles, and rushed to positions where they could mount their rifles and shoot at the Lunars. To each and every one of them, this was a treat. The roles were starting to reverse. She smiled as she saw them run out enthusiastically to fight the oppression.

* * *

Major Gilda stormed into the fight, side arm in hand, as griffons and Lunars all took positions to fight off the uprising. She had no clue what started this, or how they got weapons. All she knew was that his was not good.

"Hold your lines men, don't give into these filth", Gilda yelled, rallying her soldiers. There were a few prisoners trying to take and offensive, and now Gilda was laying the perfect trap for them.
"Ready men!"

The prisoners drew near, shouting like maniacs.

"...Fire now!"
The Lunars and griffons opened fire, and soon all of the advancing prisoners were cut down like weeds. The soldiers then moved up with Major Gilda. She marched until she found a young officer. "What happened? Who caused this", she asked yelling.

"The...There was a vehicle ma'am. It just stormed in", the officer said. "It...there was something in the back. They opened fire. All the gate guards...they're dead. Now, they're arming the prisoners..."

She understood now. It was another ambush. Except, this one was more serious. She then continued to press on with her soldiers. Being a griffon, she could both move and shoot at the same time. With phenomenal accuracy, she took down at least three prisoners in ten seconds. This seemed too easy. Even armed, this... mob, wasn't different than any other prison riot.

She then walked until she saw the vehicle, and the ponies in the back. She then put a new magazine into her sidearm, and then aimed it at the vehicle, and started firing.

* * *

Applejack was shooting from the driver's seat. She looked out the window, and shot at any Lunar she could see. But she started to also see something else as well: the decimation of the prisoners. She hated to say it, but this was not working.
She then heard the thumps as bullets started to hit the side door. She put her head down, and looked barely over. She saw a female griffon, full uniform, heading right towards the vehicle, shooting as she went. Applejack sent a round or two her way, but both missed. However, the griffon went to duck for cover. Applejack knew that if she stayed here any longer, then she wasn't going to live.

"Alright", she yelled out, "we are leaving!"

Rainbow Dash called out "Applejack, no wait! Are you going to abandon these guys?"

Applejack replied: "There's nothing we can do now; if we wait we're dead!"

"Alright", Soarin' called back, "I agree, let's go back. Gun it!"

Soon, they were speeding away from the camp, as the chaos of the battle covered their escape.

* * *

Hours later, Gilda was marching alongside her commander in what used to be the prison camp. As she walked, she saw the lines of dead griffons and Lunars, along with the dead prisoners. Just as well, new piles were being started, as the familiar sound of gunfire was heard executing any surviving rioters and prisoners.

"Command can't ignore anything like this, sir", Gilda told her commander. "This is what happens if we let it become a problem for too long!"

"This act is heinous", the commander noted. He wanted support much like everyone else. "Whatever happens, we're going to get these reinforcements. They can't deny us now."

"That's what I'm saying, sir", Gilda replied.

"That reminds me Major", the commander remembered, "what did exactly did you do during the battle?"

"Sir, I was with my men, helping putting down rioters", she answered. She wasn't going to dare telling him about missing the vehicle and its occupants.

"I see", the commander commented. "Well, I must commend you for your efforts. Too bad those ruffians got away, but we will get them, alright Major?"

"Yes, sir", she replied.

* * *

Several days later, the group was still a little excited over the raid. Sure, it wasn't a complete success, but they caused a lot of havoc nonetheless. That was what they were primarily hoping for.
Soarin' was walking around the camp, when he felt a bump on his right rear leg. He looked back to see Applebloom.

"Hey, sir, if you don't mind, could you come here for a moment", she asked. He nodded, and he followed her to the weapons tent. Around the tent were Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. In front of them was a solid metal case, half open. "We've been trying to find out what this is, but none of us could tell. We were hoping you could tell us."
Soarin' moved towards the case, and flipped it open. In it he saw a cylindrical shape. Next to it, a more of a cone, with a small cylinder attached to the end. He also saw a scope that could mount onto a rail. There was no secret on what this was.

"You three seemingly have rocket launcher on your hooves", Soarin' said.

"A what", Applebloom asked.

"A rocket launcher. It's a device that shoots what's called a rocket at a target. These rockets are designed to take down more heavily armored equipment."

Scootaloo started to understand."So, you're saying this could've been useful much earlier for us?"

"Probably, yes", Soarin' answered.

"Well, that's fine and all, having a rock... whatever you call it", Applebloom said, "But how do we use it?"

"You take the rocket, and place it in the front", Soarin' explained, pointing exactly where. "Then you just pull the trigger, and it should fire."

"Simple enough", Sweetie Belle observed.

"Certainly is", Soarin' agreed.

"Well, er, thank you, Soarin'", Applebloom said.

"My pleasure", Soarin' answered. And he trotted off.
* * *
That evening, the entire group was eating dinner around the fire. They were quiet once more, except for Soarin' and Rainbow Dash, who were discussing her flying techniques.

"You seem like a good flier, why didn't you sign up for one of the academies? You could've made Wonderbolt", Soarin' asked.

"I did try for a while", Rainbow Dash answered. "When the positions opened up again, I signed up, but after the pre- examination and tests, they said I wasn't capable of flying one of their aircraft. They said I was too reckless. Also, I wanted to stay with my friends a bit longer."

"I think they're just throwing your talent away", Soarin' told her. "You should be up there with us."
Rainbow Dash smiled. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

Applejack listened to the conversation, and contemplated on something she had thought about for a while. Though they were successfully fighting the Lunars, she feared that eventually, they might be found. She remembered Big Mac. He went down bravely, but he was still dead. She didn't want her, Applebloom, or any of her friends the same way. From what she knew, Soarin' was fully aware of where Solar territory was. So perhaps...

"Ah, Soarin', can I talk to you for a bit", Applejack asked.

Soarin' got up."Sure thing", he answered. He followed her to a secluded spot away from the group.

"Listen, do you know how to get to Solar territory", Applejack asked in a whisper.

"I know where to go, yes", Soarin' replied. "Why?"

Applejack looked at the group to make sure they weren't prying or looking over. "Listen, my friends and I have been out here
for a while. I've seen my own brother die before my eyes to a Lunar execution squad, and I don't want my sister, my friends, or I to suffer the same fate. I want you to take us to Solar territory; to freedom and safety."

Soarin' sighed, and looked down, thinking about what to say and do. He perfectly knew where to go. The problem was, that she wanted safety. The only way he knew to get to Solar territory was through a certain area... "If you want to get into Solar territory, it's not going to be easy."

"I know, but why", Applejack asked.

"Well, first I must ask you", Soarin' told her, "What are willing to do to be free?"

"I've been fighting a war with my friends for months against oppression; I'm willing to do what it takes", Applejack answered.

"Good", Soarin' said. "Because the only way to get to Solar territory from where you are is right through the front lines."

"What! We have to go into the combat zone", Applejack asked. She thought there was some way without having to go through there.

"The Lunars are not holding much above Ponyville, and certainly not far from where you are right now. And right across from them is the Solar lines. We're nearly neck and neck with them. So if you want to go, we're going to have to cross the lines. Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds. Both sides would shoot you if they saw you."
Applejack was confused "Why?"

"Well, for one, you're wearing Lunar uniforms and using Lunar weapons", Soarin' observed. "You may have taken the patches off, but it's hard to see from a distance. Plus, they don't know if you're friend or foe. The Lunars would definitely know you're not friendly, and will obviously try to shoot you on sight."
Applejack was taken back. Sure, she'd thought they'd have some trouble. Maybe a patrol or two. But she never thought she'd have to go through the front lines themselves. But she realized that if they were going to be safe, then they had to brave anything that stood in their way.

She knew her friends: they would go the distance to achieve a goal. If they had to cross a warzone to be safe forever, then they would do it. "Alright", Applejack spoke lowly, "I'll tell the group. How long do you think we'll have to wait?"
"Well, you seem to have enough supplies. I'd say if we leave by dawn tomorrow, then we should be fine", Soarin' told her.

"Good, I'll tell the rest", Applejack replied. She started to trot away from the pilot, and then stopped, and looked back. "Thank you for everything."

"If anything, I owe you", Soarin' said. "If it wasn't for your pegasus friend, I'd have been stranded and probably dead, or worse, by now. So if anything thank you."

Applejack smiled. "You're welcome, I guess." She started again towards the fire, and Soarin' followed her. The group lifted their heads when they noticed Applejack was going to tell them something.

"Y'all, I've been thinking", she started. "Together, for over a month, we've been fighting out here against the oppression of invaders and the elements that surround us. All of us have been brave in action. I cannot ask for any better friends than
you." The group smiled when she said this. "But, as you are my friends, I'm dedicated to making sure you all are safe, and I've got this feeling those Lunars are going to do something big to try and wipe us out. I'm not going to take a chance; I want all of us to make it out of this, alive.

"So I asked Soarin' to take us to Solar territory. He told me, to get there we're going to have go somewhere dangerous: the front lines of this war." The group gasped, and looked nervously. "But I have faith you all of you, that you will be strong with one another. With our friendship, and our reliability on one another, I think we can make it out just fine. Once we're in Solar territory, then we can be escorted to safety, and hopefully not have to fight anymore."

Applejack sighed. "I can't ask any more of my friends, but are you willing to go the distance to be free? To go through the worst of places, so you can be safe?"

Everyone started to think. The thought of dying out here had loomed over their heads for a long time. Every day, they had to watch out and pray that the Lunars didn't find them, because if they were found, it meant certain death. They worried that eventually, they'd run out of food, or their weapons would stop working. Then they would be trapped, and they could either perish from the hunger or die at the hands of the enemy. They tried not to think of it, but they knew that they couldn't hold out forever.

"Leaving means abandoning Ponyville", Twilight started. "I'm not sure if I can do that." The others started to think similarly. Sure, they hadn't done much inside the city, but they had managed to show up the Lunars, and make them fear them. They knew they couldn't kill every single one, or force them to surrender and leave, but they could do what they could. If they left, then they would leave Ponyville to a terrible fate. But the Solars would come, wouldn't they? They would eventually liberate the city, would they not? So leaving meant they would survive long enough to come back triumphant. There was no shame in that, was there?

It was quite the dilemma for the group. They were not sure if they should stay or go. Survival was key, and they wanted to live as long as their natural lives would allow; to live in a ripe old age and die peacefully among family and friends, not by hunger or by a Lunar. Of course, life never takes notice on what you want. It just throws whatever it has at you.
There was no doing without trying. If they were going to be safe behind Solar lines, they would need to try. Together as friends, maybe. This was another challenge.

Pinkie was first to speak up. "I'll go", she announced. "It may seem selfish, but we won't last out here forever. The way everything is going, this may be the best thing for us right now." The others started nodding in agreement.
"No one lives forever", Rainbow Dash stated, "but if I can go and live a little longer, I think I'll do it. I'm in."
Scootaloo, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle debated amongst themselves. They finally drew up a conclusion. "Alright, sis", Applebloom started, "we'll go with you."

"Well, everyone seems to be going", Twilight sighed, "I guess I'll go to. It'll be good to see Princess Celestia again."

That left Fluttershy and Rarity. "What about you two", Applejack asked.

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "Well if you insist, I guess I'll go."

Rarity was stilled undecided. She thought that if she left, she would leave someone very important behind..."I don't know. I mean, he's back there..."

"Ma'am", Soarin' interjected, "we're just going to Solar territory. I guarantee within a few months, Ponyville will be back in Solar hands. If there's anyone you care for, well, you're just going to have to take the risk."

She didn't feel any better. If anything she felt even more determined to stay here. But still, she knew this might be her only chance at safety. "Alright", she finally agreed. "I'll go with you."

Applejack was glad they had all agreed. "Excellent. At dawn tomorrow, we'll gear up, and begin our trek to freedom."
* * *
The next morning, Applejack woke up, and woke up Twilight. She then went around and woke up the rest of the group. Soarin' was already up, and was already getting ready. All of them looked groggy, and were in need of food. But they had to go as soon as possible, so they geared up first. They would stop sometime during their march for a meal.

Applejack organized the responsibilities: Twilight would carry medical supplies. Rarity would carry her sewing kit and the camouflage wrap-arounds. Rainbow Dash, Soarin', and Fluttershy would always fly a little ahead at each time to scout out and make sure the coast is clear. Pinkie would carry extra ammunition and explosives. Sweetie Belle carried the heavy rocket launcher, and Scootaloo supported the launcher from behind. Applejack herself and Applebloom would carry food in saddlebags.

They didn't expect a long journey, but they weren't risking anything. It was bad enough they were crossing into a warzone, they didn't need any other problems. They left the camp the way it was other than what they were carrying, just in case they needed to come back. Everyone took a rifle with them, along with two spare clips of ammunition on their person. Hopefully, engagements were at a minimal.
Soarin' was looking for one last thing: something that had been on his uniform, but somehow was misplaced. He knew it would be very helpful...

Scootaloo rolled a cylinder with a pin and spoon attached to it towards Soarin'. It was exactly what he was looking for. He thanked her, and picked it up, placing it on his uniform.

"What is it, anyway", Scootaloo asked. "It looks sorta like a grenade, but it doesn't have the same shape."

"It's a smoke grenade", Soarin' explained. "When the charge goes off, instead of it exploding, it'll set off a smoke, that will
cloud upwards and either block view or signal where something is."

"Well, why do we need it", Applebloom asked. "What good will that do against the Lunars?"

"For one", Soarin' started, "if we're lost, and I see a Solar vehicle pass by, I can mark where we are and they can come pick us up, or if we need to escape some Lunars, we can always use the cover of the smoke to make our escape."

"Seems fair enough", Scootaloo noted. Rainbow Dash tapped her on the back, and motioned that all of them should start to get going. Soarin' then walked to the head of the group.

"Lead the way", Applejack told him.

He flew up in the air, not too far from the ground, and saw the road ahead. This was crazy, but it's what they wanted.
"My guess is that it's a six hour walk to the front lines. We may have a mile or so between the lines:, Soarin' addressed. "Are you ready?" The entire group nodded.

"Alright then, let's go."

* * *

Major Gilda was still sorting out the entire mess with the attack on the camp. This was a clear sign of power: the resistance fighters were not afraid to strike at the heart. Morale was greatly affected, and some of the soldiers started to doubt their commanders. Fortunately, there were no desertions so far, but that might change soon.

The dead numbered at about 21 soldiers dead, and 56 prisoners killed either in action or the executions that followed. Documenting the deaths of the soldiers was not easy, but she even lost 7 of her own griffons in the firefight. Amazingly, they did not find a single corpse that was not either Lunar or griffon or prisoner. This meant that the attackers were still at large, and therefore, needed to be found, and put to justice.

Despite her zeal, she was very tired. She had done nothing but do reports and work since the early morning. She was angry that things were this slow. Especially after a major attack like this, shouldn't they focus all of their resources on defeating the enemy? Command could not possibly ignore something like this; this was a serious matter.

She never thought she'd think this, but she started to think that Command saw lives as expendable as long as they held the position. If Ponyville wasn't in threat of being taken over, then they would not care how many lives were lost as long as they held it.

What was she thinking? She couldn't question things, not now. But it still burned in her that Command was continuing to refuse support. It was now up to them to defend themselves as much as they could against this threat...

There was a fierce knocking on her door, and she shot up. When it opened, two guards stepped in. Following them was the commander. She saluted him, and he saluted back, and he motioned for her to take her seat again. She obliged, and paid close attention to what her commander told her:

"Major, listen up. I told Command about our incident. That was the last straw with them. I've just got word that within a few days, we are going to receive some much needed reinforcements."

Gilda was shocked and glad at the same time. "Why, this is excellent news, sir!"

"Yes, it is", the commander responded, "so Major, we are going to have to prepare for their arrival. If you could, Major, I want you to have all the details of our situation in a report for them."

Gilda groaned. Great, another report. She was getting sick of writing these. But, she couldn't deny. "Yes, sir", she replied.

"Good lass", the Commander told her, smiling. He saluted her, and she got up and saluted him back. Then he left the room, and when the guards left too and shut the door, she sat back down.

"Another report", she whispered to herself, "great..."

This was going to be a long day.

* * *

Six hours of long walking, and few breaks, had taken the toll on the exodus. All of them were nearly exhausted. The legs of those who walked ached, and for those who flew, even they got tired while flying. They continued to push on, even more so because they knew they were close to their destination. They trudged now through a natural trench, with trees surrounding them. They saw up ahead, a turn that would lead them to a clearing. They knew that it was almost over. But a concern hung over their heads:

"Hey Pinkie", Applebloom whispered, moving up ahead, "isn't it strange that we haven't encountered anything since we started out."
Pinkie was starting to get worried as well. This was the warzone they were talking about. Sure, the Lunars from Ponyville wouldn't have anything up here, but what about the rest of their army? Surely, they would defend the rear of their lines? "I don't know Applebloom, it does seem weird, doesn't it?" The same feeling was hovering over each of their heads. They treaded carefully, and were trying to be fully aware of their surroundings. At any moment, Lunars could appear. They might not even see them, as they remembered that their camouflage wrap-arounds came from Lunar supplies, meaning that they weren't the only ones with them.

They continued to trot slowly and cautiously, until they made it to the clearing. Still in the trench, they looked over, and saw the landscape. There was brush all around, and the terrain was very broken and hilly, with rocks embedded inside the ground. There were a few craters and scrap pieces, suggesting this was a warzone. A placid sight. Except, for them, there was one thing missing...

There was no battle.

"This isn't right", Twilight burst out.

"I know, there should be something else here", Applejack agreed. "Soarin', where are we exactly?"

"We should be on the front lines...", he started, "but I don't know why we aren't seeing anything. Not that I'd like to be shot at, or anything, but, still..." He rubbed his chin with his hoof. "Oh well, that just means we have a clear shot to freedom." He motioned with his hoof to go over the trench. "Let's go..."

"Hey what's that", Rainbow Dash cut in, pointing at a large cylindrical branch protruding from the brush in front of them. It was covered in leaves, and stuck out rather awkwardly from the rest. The group all looked at it, but Soarin' took particular interest.

He moved towards it, and tried to look at it from a different angle. He looked at it as if it were coming straight towards him, and he noticed the end was hollow. His eyes grew wide when he realized what it was.

"GET THE BUCK DO--"

BOOM!

"BUCK!"
The group had thrown themselves down into the trench, covering their heads. They looked up and saw a monstrous thing come out of the brush. A large metal leviathan, with a barrel protruding out. It had tracks over its wheels, and had a large turret coming out of what appeared to be something that rotated on the main body. This thing had a hatch on top and a mount for something All of them gazed at it in horror as it fired again.

"Buck", Soarin' let out. "Bucking Lunar tank."

"What in the hay kind of name is a tank", Twilight asked yelling.

"A short one", Soarin' shouted back. "It's basically got a large gun and is a whole lot of trouble for us right now." He looked over in the direction of the tank's barrel. It was pointing down a slight hill.

Then a shell came through above their heads and blew away a tree that was behind them. "What was that", Fluttershy cried out.

Soarin' took another look down the hill, and saw a somewhat welcome sight.

They then noticed another "tank" roll out from behind the first one in front of them. This one began firing at the Solar tank as
well, and had a machine gun mounted on the back, near the turret and the top hatch. The machine gun was manned by one Lunar soldier.

The group watched as the two Lunar tanks and the Solar one fired upon one another, and kept on missing. Applejack thought this strange. "I don't think they see each other", she called out.

"Well then lets help...", Soarin' began, before being cut off by the volume of machine gun fire, which caused every one of them to duck down. Fortunately, the trench provided enough natural cover from the onslaught.

"We're bucked... oh we're totally bucked", Sweetie Belle began to say shivering in fear. Scootaloo gave her a re-assuring hoof-to-the-face and told her to cut it out.

Soarin' started to plan out what he was going to do. Obviously, the tanks didn't see one another, and he had a smoke grenade. But he wasn't going to get anywhere with that machine gunner firing. He got up, and flew over the edge of the trench behind the tank. He then used the tank for cover, and climbed on it.

"What do you think you're doing", Applejack asked concerned.
Soarin' drew out his sidearm. "I'm going to see if I can take down that gunner, then smoke this tank and show our buddies down there where it is." He then started firing at the gunner, but kept on missing and having to duck when the gunner unleashed a volley in his direction.

Applejack looked at him as if he were crazy, then looked to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. "Both of you, help me lay down fire! Draw fire away from Soarin'; hopefully he can get a clear shot!"
Pinkie looked to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. "You two! The launcher!"

They had almost forgotten about it. Then picked it up again, and Scootaloo went and took the rocket from Pinkie's bag. She then went to work trying to load it, but was distracted when another volley of machine gun fire came their way, and the cannons of all the tanks continued to bellow as they shot.

"I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE", Sweetie Belle shouted, and she tried to crawl out of the trench. Scootaloo and Pinkie were quick to grab her back, and place her in safety. They then proceeded to try and load the launcher.
Rarity saw what was happening, and it started to get to her mind. Within seconds, everything went from blissful and quiet to a hellish nightmare. Each time the machine gun fired, there were whizzes of the bullets flying by and the scattering of earth as they hit outside or just within the trench. The tanks bellowed as they shot , and she started to think that she needed to do something. Her eyes narrowed in determination, and she cocked her assault rifle. Twilight noticed this.

"What are you doing", she asked.

"Soarin' isn't going to do that himself, and those three aren't gonna do much good either. I'm going up there, darling; I'm going to lay down fire."

Twilight immediately objected "What! If you go up there, you'll be killed! Are you insane."

"No...", Rarity answered. She climbed out of the trench, rifle in hoof, and rested it on the barrel of the tank. She looked down her sights. "...I'm fabulous."

She immediately opened fire on the other tank, even causing the gunner to duck. The hatch on the other tank opened, and a Lunar came out, armed with an assault rifle. Rarity saw this and quickly cut him down with her rifle. "Yes!"

The group looked in awe at Rarity. She was up there, doing the most insane yet bravest thing ever. They saw as she quickly reloaded, and continued shooting. The group started cheering for her, and she smiled.

"Go Rarity!"

"You can do this!"

But the machine gunner started to slowly go back to his post. Dodging Rarity's bullets, he managed to get his hoofs on the triggers, and managed to fire in Rarity's direction.

A bullet barley grazed her leg. She squealed, "Aiee!" She looked at it quickly, and saw the blood, but when her eyes moved up...

There was the whiz of two bullets

WHUMP! WHUMP!

Rarity dropped from the tank bleeding; The group looked in horror.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", Sweetie Belle screamed. She took the launcher from Scootaloo and rested it on the trench side, and aimed it at the other tank.

"EAT ME!"

She fired the rocket, and flew back with the launcher. The rocket travelled in the air, and collided with the tank, blowing it up, and killing the gunner in the process. Meanwhile, Twilight and Pinkie hurried to get Rarity away. When they brought her to the trench, Twilight told Pinkie to move far away from her. They moved back in the direction where they came.

Twilight started to panic while bringing her away "Oh please Rarity don't do this to me. Hang in there, it's going to be alright!
Oh please, oh please, no..."

The entire group watched as this happened, including Soarin'. But in his distraction, he failed to noticed the hatch on the tank he was standing on open. Two hooves protruded holding a grenade, and with his mouth, the colt inside pulled the pin, pushing the grenade down the slope of the tank until it stopped at the bottom, and closed the hatch.
In a split second, Rainbow Dash noticed this. She watched large eyed, and cried out, "LOOK OUT SOARIN' THERE'S A..."

BANG!

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

The group had ducked when the grenade went off. Rainbow Dash raised her head slowly and saw what had happened:
Soarin' lay against the tank. His wings were shredded completely, leaving a bloody mess of bone, tissue, and muscle mass in its wake. The rest of his back and legs were cut up too by the shrapnel. He was bloodied all over. He tried to climb up, but found he was too weak to do so, and he coughed, spraying blood over the tank.

"No...", Rainbow Dash trailed holding out her hoof. Applejack quickly brought her down, and they both looked together, with everyone else.

In his last ounces of strength, he took the smoke grenade off his person with both hooves, and pulled the pin. The smoke grenade went off, sending a cloud of purple smoke in the air. He finally rested his head against the top of the tank.

"Come on, come and get them..." he coughed blood again. "...and shoot... straight.. for once... you army...fillies..."

They heard the bellow of the other tank below. Rainbow Dash's eyes narrowed.

"NO SOARIN', DON'T!..."

BOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!
The tank exploded in a large display. Again, the group ducked, and when they drew themselves up, they saw a smoking pile of metal where the tank used to be. There was no sign of Soarin's body anywhere. Rainbow Dash sat back, and Applejack attended to her. She saw the smoking display in front of her, and started to cry, resting her face on Applejack, who stroke her mane in comfort. Fluttershy stood with a long stare, and the three others watched as the rest happened. They truly felt bad for the loss of Soarin'.

But then they remembered something: Rarity! She was still wounded in Twilight and Pinkie's care. "Come on, ya'll", Applejack told them, and they quickly hurried to where Twilight and Pinkie were with Rarity.

"Oh please be alive. Don't die on us...Don't die on...", Applejack whispered to herself, stopping when she saw the sight in front of her with the rest.

There were Twilight and Pinkie, holding their heads down. Twilight held Rarity's hoof with both her hooves, and Pinkie was stroking her mane. Most of her wounds were patched up, but she was still, and her eyes were closed, her mouth slightly ajar.
When Twilight looked up, the tears in her eyes said it all:

Rarity didn't make it.

* * *

It was nighttime, and Major Gilda was now exhausted. She was ready to turn in. Gilda went to her quarters, and took off her beret, placing it on the floor. She then took off her uniform, and folded it up, placing it next to her bed. She then went in her bed and began to doze off...

There was a loud knocking at her door.

"Oh what now", she asked herself grumbling. When the knocking grew louder, she knew she needed to respond immediately, and she got up and opened the door, seeing a young Lunar corporal standing there.

"Oh, er... Ma'am", he sputtered seeing her lack of uniform.

"Keep your eyes level with mine, corporal, and tell me what is going on", she told him.

"Ah, err...", he started stuttering, "...the Commander needs you in the field... where the camp was. He says its urgent."
Gilda sighed. "Alright, I'll be right there..."

"He needs you right now", the corporal elaborated. She then knew how urgent it must be. She quickly went back, and changed back into uniform, and left with corporal quickly.
* * *
When Gilda arrived in the field, she noticed the entire garrison was there, standing at attention in two columns, facing inward. She then went to the Commander, standing in the center with his two guards. She immediately saluted him, and he saluted back, and she took her position next the commander.

"Sir, what's this about", she whispered.

"Our reinforcements are coming tonight", he whispered back.

"What", she said lowly in surprise. "You said we'd have a week..."

"They were indignant to send this one", the commander explained. "They say it's going to be the end of our problem for good."

"It better be", Gilda replied. She then heard a distant sound...

Three aircraft were seen coming in from the horizon, with search lights on, hovering towards them. These certainly weren't pegasi, as they were flying much to slow. Instead, she heard the spinning of blade as they drew near. Then, they came in close enough to show what they were: Three Lunar Rotary Winged Armed Transport aircraft. With a large rotor system, the aircraft was powered by a unicorn sitting in one seat, and an earth pony in front of the other for gun control. Behind, was a storage space for several soldiers. They came in right in front of Gilda and the Commander, causing them to flinch as the lights caught their eyes. The lights dimmed, and the rotors powered down. Then, the doors shot open.
Out of the outer two aircraft, five ponies stepped out of each. They were wearing black combat armor, with bandanas to mask their appearance. They were armed on the side with a smaller carbine, and had special forces patches on one shoulder, and a Lunar army one on the other. Out of the central craft, came four more of these, and then someone else
entirely.

Gracefully, a light blue hoof stepped down from the aircraft. Assisted by her guard, the light blue unicorn, donning a green uniform with a red trim, made her way to the front of the arrived group. With a flick of her whitish blue mane, she made the impression on the onlookers. She then turned to her unit, and yelled.

"We are the strong! The few! What do we do!"

All 14 of the soldiers stepped and stood rigid, and barked in reply "WE DO WHAT OTHERS CANNOT DO! HOOAH!"

The officer turned around with an arrogant smirk on her face, and stood in front of the commander and Major Gilda, and offered her hoof to the commander first, who took it in both hands and shook it. She then offered it to Gilda, who shook it as well with one foot.

"Major Gilda", the Commander started, "may I introduce Executive Commander Trixie. She's the head of all Lunar Special Operations, and a decorated leader."

"You flatter Trixie", she said to the Commander, and looked back at Major Gilda. "It's an honor to meet both of you.

"Now, Trixie understands you have an infestation problem?"