• Published 25th Apr 2015
  • 4,377 Views, 48 Comments

Twilight says the Thing - ManlyDerp



Twilight sees a giant ball of winter snow heading her way. A single tear graces her face as she realizes that her time to shine has finally come.

  • ...
12
 48
 4,377

Still not sorry, actually

"... Winter set up winter set up! Good job, girls!" called out Twilight Sparkle as she helped to levitate ice chunks up into the trees. "We've had a few hiccups, but I think we'll be able to get things done way before schedule this year!"

"Sounds good, Twi!" answered Applejack around her rake as she used it to pack the snow down into piles for later wintery games of delight.

"... Has anypony seen Rainbow Dash?" Fluttershy, who had been escorting woodland creatures into their winter hallows, suddenly asked. "I haven't since Fall two hours ago... I know she's probably still upset about Tank, but she's never skipped her weather duties before!"

"Do you think the dear is still holed up in her home?" Rarity suggested, halting her magical arranging of snowflakes to approach the group.

Twilight considered this suggestion for a moment.

"Hmmm... No, somepony on the weather team would have checked there first if she was shirking her duties." Lowering her hoof, and shaking her head, Twilight shrugged her wings as she next said, "She must be flying around somewhere with Tank. Maybe we should give her some space though, and give her time to sort things out for herself. We're already doing pretty good here! One pony less won't hur-"

"Twitchy tail!" Pinkie Pie suddenly shouted, having popped out from around a corner and galloped, not hopped, towards her friends. Pointing a hoof at her hindquarters again, she quickly repeated her warning. "Twitchy tail!"

All ponies in the clearing, both in and out of Twilight's group of friends, suddenly went quiet at the declaration. They stared fearfully at one another for a time... before Applejack suddenly shouted something herself. Eyes swiftly switched to her for a moment before they shot upwards towards the sky. In the distance, all saw the smoke leaving Cloudsdale's Weather Factory's main cloud producer...

BOOM!

... and soon they saw the massive ball of snow now hurtling towards Ponyville at dangerous speeds. Time slowed down for every equine in the village as they stared up in horror at the gigantic collection of frozen slush about to rain down upon them.

Every equine...

... save for one.

"Yes," Twilight muttered excitedly under her breath as her inner giddy emotions leaked through.

She felt as though her entire life had led to this moment.

Through the trials and tribulations she had fought; through hardships and heartache and even soul crushing despair did she persevere above it all in order to reach this long sought after day. She charged at Nightmare Moon, stood up to Discord, revealed Queen Chrysalis, saved an empire from King Sombra, saved Sunset Shimmer from herself, tamed the Everfree, dueled Tirek to a standstill, and blazed the path for others to free themselves from Starlight Glimmer's philosophy…

… but these great accomplishments meant little to the young alicorn now in this important moment of time. All were irrelevant in her eyes... for she had accomplished an even greater feat on another world entirely.

A battle had taken place weeks ago in the realm past the magic mirror, you see. It was a grueling battle that took as much away from her as she had from it. She fought for two long and hard days, and in those days Twilight's pony friends hadn't the slightest of clues as to where their friend had gone off to. That was the nature of the battle, unfortunately. It caused time itself to slip as it forcefully sucked it away, leaving the victim behind as an unresponsive husk to the very world around them.

For all intents and purposes in those two days amongst her biped friends, Princess Twilight Sparkle... was dead.

She was a dead slave to the glowing box simply known as television.

An off handed remark from Sunset Shimmer, delivered via a cross-dimensional journal, had been what set off the chain of events that lead to the 'battle' in the first place. It had sparked Twilight's curiosity by mistake, creating the domino effect which saw her jumping through the portal in order to spend what was supposed to be a peaceful weekend with the mirrored versions of her pony friends. All Tartarus broke loose once she arrived, however, but it was a pleasant Tartarus in a way. It possessed popcorn and friendship and even soda pop... but it also contained sleepless nights and the dreaded siren call of 'just one more episode'. Through it all though; through hunger pains from a poor diet and through bad BO from a lack of showering and even through the dreaded curse known as sleeping butt... Twilight eventually came out victorious in the end. It was a victory her pony friends would never be able to learn about, sadly, for they could never hope to understand the significance of the action in full. They lacked television, after all, or even the concept of a DVD box set.

They would never learn how Twilight had marathoned her first TV series.

Truly it was a great loss, one that Twilight would be forced to bear by herself until the end of her days... but, regardless, right now she did not care.

Twilight did not care for she knew what now had to be done above all else.

It didn’t matter to her if nopony would ever truly grasp her next few words; it didn't’ matter if it would just fly right over their pastel heads and into the boundless ether around them. It didn't matter that she might as well be wasting words, or that only she would understand their importance. All that mattered was that these words were uttered at all.

This was the most important thing in the end for Twilight knew, in her heart of hearts, that the balance of this and all worlds now rested squarely on her withers. To say the words would be to create great confusion among her friends... to not say them would be to invite chaos to the very lands themselves.

In the end, there was no question as to what now needed to be done.

Princess Twilight Sparkle needed to make history.

And thus, as the massive pile of white wintery destruction descended from on high, threatening to crush every last pony into a delicious flat pancake of flesh and gore, the Princess of Friendship stood up proudly on her hindlegs and allowed her brown, white ruffled winter fur coat to flap in the chilled winds. Mightily was it then when she next said, as she rested her forelegs on the hilt of her long and elegant broadsword,

“Winter is coming.”

A silence fell over the clearing of ponies as these powerful words were finally uttered. Big and small, mare and stallion, young and old; all looked towards their princess with eyes full of silent wonder and admiration for her great and noble actions.

It truly was just that good of a subtle reference.

“... Where did she get that sword and coat?”

As Pinkie Pie drew in her breath, about to answer Applejack's important question in full, she, along was everypony else, were soundly crushed into said pancake by a snow covered ball of frozen death.

Winter had truly come to Ponyville.

_________________________________

"Sooooo," Rainbow Dash casually began to ask as she shuffled alongside Princess Celestia. She raised her chained hooves upwards towards the monarch to further highlight her current question. "I-I don't suppose I can get a little leewa-"

"You committed an act of terrorism and killed thirty ponies as a result," Celestia deadpanned, not turning to look at the pony beside her.

"... So is that a 'no' then?"

"That's a 'no', Dash."

"Drat... Would you believe me if I said that the tortoise made me do it?"

"..."

Celestia turned her head towards the prison garbed Rainbow Dash and then further towards the similarly dressed tortoise chained to her leg. Tank sleeped soundly away in his shell, none the wiser to the events that had just transpired.

"... Maybe," Celestia admitted after a time, using her magic to levitate up a small hip flask. "A spiked one once kidnapped Luna."

"Really? How'd that go?"

The tired alicorn took a long swig of her brew before answering with,

"Poorly."

Comments ( 48 )

Never be sorry.

Fresnor #2 · Apr 25th, 2015 · · 16 ·

Yeah, that was probably the only good part of the episode to me. Much of it just felt horribly contrived and out of character for Rainbow Dash. I'm actually trying to think of many RD centric episodes I think actually fit with her now other than the Wonderbolt's training camp and the Rainbow falls episodes.

Spike came out of the castle lugging a full garbage can of yesterdays party after carefully looking skyward - Seeing a clean and clear view he continued hefting the heavy can to the curb, "Almost got it" he squeaked "After this I'll go see Rarity and teach her to ballet ice skate"
Suddenly all went white
Twilight castle was smothered in snow all was quiet till Spike yelled""AWE COME ON!"

img13.deviantart.net/7f88/i/2015/107/6/b/smoozzzz_gala_by_hillbe-d8q1zj7.jpg

and then the dire wolves feasted upon their remains...the end

It didn’t matter to her if nopony would ever truly grasp her next few words; it didn't’ matter if it would just fly right over their pastel heads and into the boundless ether around them. It didn't matter that she might as well be wasting words, or that only she would understand their importance. All that mattered was that these words were uttered at all.

This was the most important thing in the end for Twilight knew, in her heart of hearts, that the balance of this and all worlds now rested squarely on her withers. To say the words would be to create great confusion among her friends... to not say them would be to invite chaos to the very lands themselves.

In the end, there was no question as to what now needed to be done.

Princess Twilight Sparkle needed to make history.

Beautiful. There are no words... they should have sent a poet.

Twilight Sparkle learns how to make a popular culture reference. Her adorkable levels have risen even further.

:rainbowlaugh:
I lost it when I figured out where this was going.

Truly the Stark's can have no greater ally than Twilight Sparkle!

You sir have given me a chuckle. I give you an upwards pointing thumb in return.

5905518
I don't think so.
Rainbow Dash is the element of loyalty, and so who should she feel the most loyal to? Her friends? Or her family?
That simple question should explain most of her actions in the episode.
P.S. can you even call Tank a pet? I mean he expresses emotion, intelligence and affection, so clearly he has some form of sapience.

This is fucking AWESOME!!!

5908148 Axis of Awesome said it best...

Finally, someone who doesn't just brush off that Dash created a city-wide industrial accident for her pet!

(Your princess is in another castle. On the MOOOOON)

5908641
Meh, I was just trying to get the point across that Rainbow Dash could see Tank as being family and as such feels much more loyal to him rather than say Twilight or maybe even Princess Celestia herself, given her reaction.

5905518
The point of this one was that it was using hibernation as a metaphor for death, and showing Dash going through the classic five stages - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. She didn't want to believe Tank was 'going away' despite hearing it from Fluttershy and Spike, was angry at her friends, tried to find a way to stop it (via trying to hold back winter), then was depressed in bed, and then finally accepted it. With the metaphor in place... well, if she thought one of her friends was going to die if winter arrived, I expect she'd go to any lengths to stop it, so the episode is less jarring. And for a loyal pony like her (who does seem to have a fear of being abandoned), losing someone (even temporarily) is more important than her usual concern for her image, thus the emotional breakdown.

"A spiked one once kidnapped Luna."

Okay...
I think that's enough fanfic for today...

I can't believe I haven't seen this anywhere else...

Twilight Stark-le.

Sorry not sorry.

5905518

If only two of her episodes fit with your vision of the character...

have you considered that perhaps your vision of the character is flawed?

5914750 Those were just the ones that came to mind off the top of my head at the time. I guess the Daring Do episode would count as well since it is more about her interactions with the adventurer than the other five.

The only other episode I can think of that is mainly a Rainbow Dash episode would be the test one, but ii dislike that one as it goes the dumb/lazy jock route with her. As shown by the Daring Do episode she gets very obsessive about things she takes interest in so having little to no knowledge of Wonderbolt history is unbelievable.

With this episode it goes against her whole view of Loyalty that she would sabotage her those that work with her at her job for something like this. Sure she would be conflicted about not seeing Tank, but she went way too far in this and would have done more to make him comfortable during his hibernation than to deny it that badly.

Don't apologize for this. Never apologize for this. This was great.

House Sparkle for the Iron Throne.

But of course, we must remember that this line was said to the most iconic GoT character, and who would that character be?

Jon Snow.




























GET IT?!

5905518 well, she wasn't really out of character in the episode if you are talking about her not being very loyal. It doesn't make her seem OOC, it just shows that despite being the element of loyalty, she still has flaws. It makes her feel more realistic, when they show that she isn't loyal to a fault. Just like Rarity's occasional selfishness, or Pinkie's ability to cause tears instead of laugher, albeit unintentionally. If RD would always be perfectly loyal without flaws, she'd sail straight into Mary Sue territory, even in just that one aspect.

You need to check your tense. It's a mess of present and past tense. Stick to one or the other.

Also...

But and butt are two different things. Just saying.

5919942
Would you have preferred "sleeping ass" instead? "Butt" is the right word there if not.

5905517 WHY IS HE SORRY?! THIS WAS AMAZING!

5920148 Ah, okay. The way you write it, it makes it seem as if it's wrong.

"What is dead can never die!" So I just got out of a hell of a presentation and now there's all this "time of freeness" that I don't know what to do with. So onwards to ponywords! I'm glad you're still here derply, wouldn't be the same without you.

I liked the bit about Luna and the Spiky turtle by the way. Also, what would it take to get more adventures of drunken Celestia? Maybe even a sequel to Princess Big Mac?

A few corrections:

she was shirking her duties

and galloped, not hopped, towards her friends.

Through the trials and tribulations she had fought; through hardships and heartache and even soul crushing despair did she persevere above it all in order to reach this long sought after day. She charged at Nightmare Moon, stood up to Discord, revealed Queen Chrysalis, saved an empire from King Sombra, saved Sunset Shimmer from herself, tamed the Everfree, dueled Tirek to a standstill, and blazed the path for others to free themselves from Starlight Glimmer's philosophy…

Tank sleeped soundly away in his shell, none the wiser to the events that had just transpired.


5908922 And thanks to this story I also have this joy as well!

5929685
Good to see that you're still among the living(ish)! Thanks for pointing those out too! It's always the minor things, isn't it?

The adventures of Drunken Celestia... Don't temp me, or else I might just do it! :rainbowlaugh:

Hopefully with my education finally coming to a close I'll have a little more time to myself to work on my bigger projects again. As I begin my job hunting though... well... I hope these little bite sized morsels will settle you for a bit as I wait for the opportunity to unleash the main course :twilightsmile:

-Derply

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Not sure about that last scene, but this was hilarious. :D

The middle section slips into present tense, but other than that this was enjoyable.
6071062 thank you for the recommendation

:ajbemused: I have just ONE WORD for you, mister!

Hodor.

You have successfully saved this line.

I was previously convinced that this was the worst line in the series for being blatant, shameless, unapologetic, and, worst of all, making NO DAMN SENSE IN CONTEXT.

It is now one of my favorites.

Thank You.

Hey guys, anyone up for a little Mareo?

That ending needs to be cut.

5914829 Duh deh duh du deh do doa do duh dud a doooooooo

And with this I resign from life. Good day.

Well the words of my not father and family are always right in the end i find them to be very truthful and useful

WINTER IS COMING

Uh, Twilight and the others weren't among those thirty ponies who died, were they?

Pfft. Goddammit, Bowser.

On this day, Twilight made history.

They say the good ones go away in a flash, but the best ones go out in a bang.:twilightsmile:

"... Maybe," Celestia admitted after a time, using her magic to levitate up a small hip flask. "A spiked one once kidnapped Luna."

:rainbowlaugh:
:rainbowlaugh:
:rainbowlaugh:

https://m.
Login or register to comment