• Published 25th Apr 2015
  • 6,272 Views, 450 Comments

If Horses Had Gods - Ponky



Twilight Sparkle asks each of her friends, "Do you believe in God?"

  • ...
57
 450
 6,272

Chapter Three

“Rarity,” asked Twilight Sparkle, “do you believe in God?”

"God, dear?" Rarity repeated, sliding a green vest over a skinny ponnequin. "However do you mean?"

"You know. Do you believe in a higher power? A... an immortal pony that created everything?"

Rarity gave Twilight an amused look. "Oh, Twilight, surely you must be joking."

"Huh?"

Rarity tittered a high pitched laugh. "Twilight, stop it! I'm in the zone, can't you see? I've no time for silly jokes."

"I'm not joking, Rarity," Twilight said, her face twisted. "I'm serious. I just want to know if you believe in God."

Rarity's expression changed the longer she eyed Twilight. "My goodness, you really aren't joking! You really don't know, do you?"

"How could I know, Rarity? I'm asking for your opinion, what you believe, and this is something we've never talked about before."

Rarity's magic set everything down and her horn stopped glowing. "My darling Twilight, we've never talked about it because I thought it went quite unsaid. Perhaps I was wrong."

"Wrong about what?" Twilight's eye twitched. "Look, Rarity, I'm already frazzled enough from my conversations with Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Will you just tell me what you believe so I can go home and think about it?"

"It's not what I believe that matters, Twilight. It is the truth that governs this world."

"Yes, well, that's exactly what I'm trying to get at."

"And you... don't feel that you've already found the answer?" Rarity blinked above an innocent smile.

"No! Everypony thinks something different."

"Do they now?" Rarity raised her eyebrows and looked away. "Well, honestly, I don't think there's a question about it."

"So you do believe or don't believe in God?" Twilight asked.

Rarity paused. "Define god."

Twilight grunted. "A distant, invisible pony who created the world, watches over us, has some degree of influence in our lives, responds to prayer... somehow, and assigns us to heaven or hell when we die."

Rarity blanched. "Goodness, Twilight! No, if that's your definition, I certainly do not believe in God."

"Oh. Well, what do you believe in?"

A whimsical, almost skeptical smile pulled at Rarity's face. "I still can't believe you're not joking!"

"Rarity! Just tell me!"

"Alicorns, Twilight!" Rarity said.

Twilight Sparkle was silent. "Wh-what?"

"If we're talking about immortal beings who govern creation and existence," Rarity said, "then the answer is obviously Alicorns."

Twilight's head began to shake. "No."

"Well, why not, darling? Think about it. What did the ponies of the past worship? The Sun, the Moon, the celestial bodies. Do you think it's because they were pretty? No, of course not! They knew what--or rather who--had set the sky in motion, and they used their own magic and skills to continue the cycles while waiting for their gods to return. Isn't that what the ancient legends say?"

"No," Twilight said again, more to the air than to Rarity.

"So it's only sensible to deduce that Celestia and Luna--and perhaps others--created this world and all the life in it, and then left it to a period of self-preservation, probably while off creating other worlds or visiting pre-established ones--"

"No, no."

"--then returned, had a little falling out, and then... well, you know."

Twilight stared at her. "Then what, Rarity?"

The unicorn smiled. "Why, Celestia chose you, of course."

Twilight's knees buckled. She nearly fell to the floor of the boutique.

Rarity stepped forward. "I thought you knew, Twilight! I honestly thought this was all common knowledge. Obviously gods are not perfect creatures, seeing what happened to Luna--"

"Rarity, stop."

"--but they are immortal, and so the only way to ensure the continuance of life is to continue the cycle of righteous godhood."

"Stop it!"

"Twilight, calm yourself! There's nothing horrible about any of this. In fact, I think it's wonderful! One day when all of us are gone, you'll probably join them in the stars and create planets and suns and life of your own!"

"Gaaaahhhh!" Twilight screamed and, in a flash of light, teleported out of sight.

Rarity blinked a few times. "Oh, dear. Did I say something?"