• Published 15th May 2012
  • 4,486 Views, 40 Comments

Chaotic Harmony Episode 1: Arrival - MaroxXIII



Sonic the Hedgehog and his "friends" enter the world of Equestria, but danger lurks near...

  • ...
2
 40
 4,486

Chapter 1: Fractured Bonds

Chapter 1: Fractured bonds

Harmony. Without it, there can be no peace. Even the most different things can co-exist with each other if there is harmony between them. Two worlds, as different as night and day, will be joined together, forever changing both when the dust settles. For one, an idyllic paradise that thrives off of everypony and everything working together. For the other, a rampant whirlwind of chaos that fuels the adventures of its inhabitants. Can the two actually be one? Some say no, as such things were never meant to be together. As this tale will show, harmony can be found in the most unlikely of places, and from the most unlikeliest of people. This is the tale of what transpired when visitors of the chaotic world entered the land of a peaceful existence. What happens then would forever change the balance of both parties, but most importantly, the visitors who first needed harmony with themselves.

The sights of the apartment building were filled to the brim with balloons, streamers, and other decorations. It was a time for celebration as a young rabbit named Cream was preparing the room for her birthday. Joining her was her mother Vanilla and her pet chao named Cheese. Together, they made sure that everything in the room was up to perfection. The ensuing party was going to be the best, for it was the first that she would spend with her friends. Among those planning to attend were Sonic, the world’s fastest hedgehog with an attitude to match; Miles “Tails” Prower, a fox with two tails (hence his name) who was an expert mechanic and inventor; Knuckles the Echidna, who usually guards the Master Emerald decided to show up here for this occasion; and Amy Rose, a young pink hedgehog infatuated with Sonic. They have shared countless adventures with one another, and today, they were going to celebrate the little girl’s birthday. Not too long after preparations were finished, the guests arrived bearing gifts and other goodies. Cream could barely contain herself as the pile of wrapped goodies began to pile up on the floor. Her mother assured her that the best was yet to come, but she was too wrapped up in happiness to care. Things were turning out perfectly as she imagined, and nothing could go wrong.

“Happy birthday, Cream!” Amy said as she handed her a present. She gleefully opened the package to find a giant mallet, much like her own. Cream politely accepted it while her mother Vanilla, gave a disapproving look.

“A mallet? Really? Couldn’t you have gotten something safer, like a teddy bear?” Tails asked nervously.

“No way. Cream isn’t a little girl anymore,” she replied. “She’s turning into a lady, and a lady must always have something to use when in danger, or when chasing down her love.”

The two-tailed fox just shook his head. “Well, if you say so. But I doubt she’ll have to use it, now that Eggman is gone.”

It was true. Dr. Ivo Robotnik, better known to the citizens as “Eggman” due to his large stature that made him look like an egg, was a mad scientist with a love of destruction and robots, who was a constant threat to the inhabitants of the world. He was always plotting new ways to take over the planet, each scheme more heinous than the last. Besides being very heavy-set, he was also persistent. Every time his plans were thwarted, he came back more determined than ever. It’s because of the efforts of Sonic that he never succeeded in his plans. Still, despite tasting defeat every time, he usually comes again sometime soon after, laughing maniacally as he announces his next plan for world domination. And every time, Sonic and his friends were there to put an end to his plot. It’s been a year since Eggman was last defeated, and he hasn’t been seen since. No random attacks from his machines, no powerful monster unleashed to terrorize the nation, not even a single evil laugh filled the air. It’s as if he disappeared off of the face of the earth, much to the relief of the world. Without him around, things have gotten a lot more peaceful, and without anybody or anything to defeat, Sonic and his friends adjusted to a less chaotic lifestyle, living everyday normal lives. Some adapted well; some...did not.

“Doesn’t matter,” Amy said. “For all we know, he isn’t gone, he’s just hiding. I hope he really is gone, though. Now that Eggman is nowhere to be seen, Sonic and I have gotten really close. We’re practically a couple now!”

“I don’t think he calls being chased around trying to get him to date you ‘close,’ Amy,” Tails mused.

The girl immediately glared at Tails while slowly pulling out her mallet, the Piko-piko hammer. “What was that? I didn’t quite hear you.”

The young fox just shook his head nervously. “Umm...wh-what I m-meant to say was...uh..hey look everyone! Sonic and Knuckles are back with the cake!” Tails pointed out the window, breathing a sigh of relief as he, Amy and everyone else stopped to look outside.

Everyone watched in awe as the cake made its way to the entrance of the apartment. It was huge, about three times the height of Cream herself. Judging by how both carriers were struggling to make it upstairs, it was heavy as well. Homemade vanilla chocolate ice cream cake with colorful sprinkles, decorative frosting, and shaped to look like the birthday girl. The cake was so massive that they had trouble getting it through the door. The hedgehog and the echidna were fumbling around adjusting themselves so that it could fit through the doorway. The crowd eagerly watched as both patrons continued their epic struggle, fearing that a mere slip of the fingers would cause it to fall. Thankfully they maneuvered it into the living room without a single lick of frosting wasted, and it was there in all of its glory. Cream could barely contain herself, her sweet tooth by far the biggest among her friends. Oh, how she couldn’t wait to take one huge bite out of that mouthwatering beauty. Other people started to feel the same way.

“Sorry we’re late, everybody,” Sonic apologized. “We would’ve been here sooner, if someone didn’t get the directions to the bakery wrong.”

“For the last time Sonic, it wasn’t my fault. I thought the map reader said to turn left on Route 280, not 99,” Knuckles retorted. It was well known that among the things the red, treasure hunting echidna was good at, reading directions was not one of them.

“So? It’s still your fault, knucklehead. How about this, next time I read the directions, you carry the heavy cake,” Sonic sneered.

“Hey! Watch it Sonic, unless you want a face full of fist,” Knuckles growled. Sonic stuck his tongue out mockingly, making the red echidna even more furious.

“Enough you two! Please don’t fight on my daughter’s birthday. Act your age, not Cream’s,” Vanilla interjected. Immediately both offenders stopped and sheepishly apologized.

“Yeah! Who cares whose fault it is anyway? The cake’s here, so let’s eat!” Amy said gleefully. Everyone in attendance agreed.

“Before we do,” Vanilla spoke, causing Amy to sadly look down at her stomach, “I have a few things I want to say.” She then turned to Cream with a book-shaped package in her hand.

“I want to thank you all for coming out here to celebrate Cream’s birthday. Ever since we were rescued from Dr. Eggman years ago, you all have been the greatest friends anyone could ask for. And for that, I say thank you for keeping her safe and strong.” As everyone smiles and watches, Vanilla turned to her daughter, with wide eyes and an eager gaze. “Cream,” she started “Ever since you were a little girl, you’ve been growing into a special young lady. You’ve even helped Mr. Sonic in saving the world many times. Oh, sometimes I fear you’re growing up too fast, but then again you can’t be little forever I guess.”

“Aww, don’t worry mommy. I’m still a little girl, and I’ll always be your little girl.” Cream reassured as she gave a warm hug to her beloved mother. "Aww!" Tails and Amy expressed their approval of the strong and loving bond between the birthday girl and her mother. Sonic and Knuckles, who were not as accepting of affection, rolled their eyes as their stomachs angrily objected to the heartwarming moment. The blue hedgehog silently tapped his foot on the floor as he considered sneaking a taste of the cake.

“Yes yes, of course you will,” Vanilla replied. “Year after year, you’re growing up to be a fine young lady. I just want to be there with you every step of the way. Now that it’s your birthday, I have something for you that I just know you’re going to like.” She then handed over the present she had in her hand to Cream. “Sweetie, this is for you.”

Cream held the book-shaped present in her hand, grinning from ear to ear. “What could be inside?” she wondered. Without giving it anymore thought, she ripped through the wrapping. It was a book with a decorative cover that showcased a picture of six cute ponies happily playing on the hills. At first, she stared at it without moving, as if the book itself froze her on sight. Then suddenly she let out an extremely loud scream that the whole neighborhood could hear.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! The My Little Pony: Adventures in Equestria book! I’ve wanted this for sooooooooo long! It’s my favorite book ever, and mommy got it for me! I can’t believe it! It’s here! It’s here! Oh mommy thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!” Cream blurted out. “Oh, please read it to me! Please, please, please, please, PWWWEEEAAASSSEEEE!?!?”

“Well it’s quite long Cream,” Vanilla said. “Tell you what, I’ll read just a little and the rest I’ll read at bedtime, alright?” Cream frantically nodded her head yes.

“Woah, woah, wait a minute,” Sonic interjected. “Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but can you do this after we serve the cake? I’m not gonna sit around listening to some girly story about rainbow ponies while the ice cream melts.”

“Sonic!” Amy yelled “This is Cream’s party, remember? She can do whatever she wants. Stop acting like a brat. Ms. Vanilla, please excuse him, he doesn’t usually act like this. We’d love to hear the story, so please continue.”

“Hey look, colorful, sugar sweet ponies ain’t my type of thing. I’d rather be in one of Egghead’s traps than listen to this. I mean, it’s just...uggghhhh...”

Amy whipped out her hammer with a very annoyed look in her eye. “Sonic, sweetie?” She said, “Either you sit down right there and listen to the story, or my Piko-piko hammer flattens your head. Your choice.”

Sonic, too stunned to move, sighed and reluctantly agreed. It was wise not to tick off Amy, something he had learned the hard way multiple times.

“Honestly, you’ve been acting more of a jerk than usual. What’s gotten into you anyway?” Amy huffed.

The blue-clad hedgehog said nothing as he sat down with a bored and disgruntled expression on his face. True, something has been bugging him for the longest. With Dr. Eggman gone, there wasn’t much to do anymore. Sure there was the occasional robbery or fire rescue, but that’s small rings compared to beating his arch-nemesis and his latest evil plan. Now that everything was peaceful, it’s gotten much more boring, and boredom went with Sonic like moldy cheese on a chili dog, which was to say not at all. As time flew by, Sonic became less and less enthused, and more irritated. Everyone else was fine with living normal lives, but not him. He lived every day like it’s a new adventure, but what was there to do now that the adventure’s over? Sitting around doing nothing listening to stories about ponies? No way. There just had to be something, anything that he could do. If only Eggman were here creating havoc. He’d be more entertaining than the boredom he’d have to put up with now.

“Thank you Amy,” Vanilla said in relief. “Okay everyone, gather round for the story. I’ll read the first few pages, then we’ll serve the cake.”

“Don’t worry Sonic. Once it’s over, we’ll head over to the Smash Shack. Chili dogs are on me. Sounds fun?” Tails asked. Sonic shrugged, not even looking at his best friend. Not even chili dogs, Sonic’s favorite food, could cheer him up now.

Vanilla propped Cream on her lap, while her pet chao Cheese sat on hers. She then opened the book, cleared her throat, and began to read aloud the first page.

“Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two little sisters who ruled together, and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn, the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the youngest sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her older sister brought forth, and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in her heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness, Nightmare Moon. She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, her sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to Ponyville: The Elements of Harmony! Using the magic of The Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister and banished her permanently on the moon.The elder sister took on responsibility of both the sun and the moon, and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.”

“Okay, that’s it,” Sonic interrupted, “I tried to listen and bear it, but I just...can’t. Unicorns? Ponyville? Talk about sugary. I’m going to bail before I start puking rainbows.” He then got up from his seat, ready to make a mad dash outta there.

“Sonic! What’s your problem!?” Amy screamed, “This is taking it too far. You’ve become a real big jerk ever since you beat Eggman.”

“Yeah Sonic,” Knuckles added, “He’s gone now, so why don’t you just chill?”

“And what, sit around here doing nothing and listening to that? Noooo thank you. You guys may be fine with things so dull, but not me. I mean, look at you guys: Knuckles just lazes around back on Angel Island, Tails decides to start a repair shop and he works all day, and you...” Sonic paused, pointing at Amy, “I see you enough during the day. You never leave me alone!”

“I don’t ‘laze around!’” Knuckles retorts. “I still guard the Master Emerald. It’s a very tough job, thank you very much!”

“Sonic, times have changed, and Eggman is gone,” Amy responded, “Why can’t you just accept that and settle down?”

“Hellloooo, I’m Sonic.” he said to her, “I don’t ‘settle down,’ I don’t accept normality, and I certainly don’t listen to little girl stories.”

“Please Mr. Sonic, don’t be upset,” Cream reasoned, “Here, have some cake. I know it’ll cheer you up.”

Sonic ignored her and continued to rant. “This place has gotten so boring. You used to see G.U.N. everywhere, but now they're not even on the streets. Heck, Shadow and Rouge are gone too. Looks like they had the right idea, I’m not sticking around any longer.”

“Sonic, if you do that, then I can’t see you anymore,” Amy said. “What am I going to do without you around?”

“Gee, I dunno...” Sonic sneered sarcastically, “...maybe you can find somebody else to chase around. Or better yet, perhaps you can do something besides stalk people.”

Everyone in the room gasped. Vanilla, Cream and Cheese covered their mouths in shock. Tails and Knuckles’ jaws were on the floor. Everyone could not believe what Sonic just said to her. Amy, poor girl just stood there, eyes wide open in disbelief. Her? A stalker? She was only just showing her affection for her beloved. To have her love rudely backfire at her was just heart-crushing.

“Woah that was harsh,” Tails spoke. “Sonic, that wasn’t very nice at all. She may be, well Amy, but she’s still your friend.”

“Oh yeah, sure. Says the guy who won’t even hang out with his best friend. It’s all about the repair shop now. Everytime I come to visit, it’s always ‘Oh hi, Sonic. Wait right there, I’m helping someone out’ or ’Sorry, can’t see you today. I have a huge repair order.’ You’re never around anymore, all because of that stupid business.”

“But...” the fox boy tried to speak, but in his heart he knew he was right. The garage was a success, but it’s been cutting into the free time he and Sonic shared. Day after day, hundreds of customers come to have their electronics fixed and/or modified, and Tails has been busy with demands. He didn’t know how Sonic felt about this, but he tries to hang with his bro every time that he can.

“Please stop arguing!” Vanilla pleaded. “Lets all just enjoy this delicious cake and put this whole fight behind us.” Everyone in the audience briskly agrees. They did not want to see it escalate into something more terrible. It wouldn’t take long before things do.

“...Sonic...” Everyone paused to see the pink young hedgehog, face down with eyes shut whisper his name. Tears streaming from her cheek, she sniffled and nothing else. The room was silent and still, and the tension electrified the entire area. Even Sonic stopped to look at the girl he had broken. Then, she opened her mouth beginning to say something, and what little sadness she had turned immediately into sheer, unleashed rage.

“SooonnNNNNNNIIIIIIICCCCCCCC!!!!!! I...HATE....YOU!!!!!

With the force of an 18-wheeler, Amy slammed her mallet into the ground, right on Knuckles’ foot.The poor echidna, howling in pain, grabbed his flattened foot, jumping backwards into a huge purple feline named Big. Startled, he let go of his little buddy Froggy who hopped around all over the place and on Vanilla’s hair. The mother screamed in horror, jumping up and knocking Cream and Cheese to the floor while shaking the frog out of her hair with little success. Tails ran over to grab the little amphibian from Vanilla’s tangled hair, but he was shoved from behind by another startled guest, so instead he knocked the poor woman over, falling next to the cake. Big saw his pet, and he ran over to grab him. “I’m coming, Froggy!!!” he yelled as he took a flying leap in the air, much to the dismay of Vanilla and Tails. He missed, colliding with the cake table and sending it flying across the room. The dessert flipped twice in the air, and it came down on Sonic and Amy with a huge Splat!

Sonic, blindsided by the enormous pastry that hit him, nearly fell unconscious. Ice cream and cake covered him from head to toe. He was humiliated. At that moment, he felt his anger reach its breaking point.

“That’s IT! I’m done! First thing tomorrow, I’m outta here! I hope I never see you guys again!”

“Fine by me!” Tails yelled.

“Me too!” Knuckles fumed.

“Good! If I see any of you, it’ll be too soon!!!” Amy screamed.

The four continued their spat, when all of a sudden, they were interrupted by the sound of sniffles. Everyone was caught up in the chaos that nobody noticed Cream, eyes full of tears and her lower lip quivering with sadness. “How did this all go wrong?” she thought. Everyone was so happy to be with each other, and now the room was completely trashed with her friends splitting apart. This was her special day, but everything went so wrong. All she could do now was cry. In a flash, she ran up to the guest room, sobbing along the way. The last sound to be heard from her was the jarring slam of a door.

“Oh no, Cream dear...” a worried Vanilla spoke. Before she went upstairs to try and comfort her daughter, she turned to the four of them with a disappointed look in her eye. “You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Because of this, Cream lost her friends.”

-------