• Published 20th May 2015
  • 15,552 Views, 3,255 Comments

Shifting Melodies - Thadius0



He's a unicorn accountant in service to a smuggling ring. She's a high-ranking Thestral in the Day Guard. Together, they fight crime. Too bad one of them's lying.

  • ...
73
 3,255
 15,552

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34 - Bugs in the bed and bats in the belfry

Midnight stretched her wings as she trotted downstairs. It had been an interesting two days to say the least. The boys had been put in the spare room, Crit took the couch and Joyful-Heart was bunking with the rest of them. So she was also feeling a tad pent up due to that.

“Oh well,” she sighed to herself as she walked into the kitchen on autopilot. As she put the coffee on, she found herself wondering, what would they do from now on? Would they keep living here with Cider? Or would Ledger and herself find a new apartment?

She just stood in the kitchen, staring at the dripping coffee pot in a daze. If anypony came in, she didn’t notice them. Nor did she notice the changeling clinging to the ceiling...until it was too late, and the little pink filly dropped from above to land on her back.

“Kyyaaaa!” Midnight shrieked as she felt something land on her and instinctively bucked, but her passenger held on tight until Midnight calmed down. The Thestral turned her head as she came eye-to-eye with the filly.

“W-Whatthehay?” she gasped. “Don’t do that.”

“It was fun, though!” The filly said as she beeped the thestral’s nose. “You were everywhere! It was like the world’s wildest hug and cart ride!”

“You coulda been hurt,” Midnight sighed as she turned back to coffee pot. “And then if you got hurt, someone would hurt me.”

“Nah, all my brothers and sister are really nice, they wouldn’t hurt you,” Joyful said as she stood on the thestral’s back. “Whatcha dooooooin’?”

“Making coffee,’ she said as she motioned towards the pot with a wing. “Levvy gets all cranky unless he gets some first thing in the morning.”

“Can I try?” the filly asked with all the sweetness she could muster. Doe eyes and everything.

“Weeeeeellll,” Midnight tapped her chin. It didn’t seem to do anything to Ledger unless it had a butt-ton of sugar in it. And she was finding it increasingly hard to say no to the cute-little thing. Midnight just sighed and nodded as she poured a tiny cup full for her. No sugar though. Just love.

“Yay! Thank you miss Midnight!” The filly said before sipping it and sticking her tongue out. “Bleh, it tastes funny.”

“Well, you’re supposed to put sugar in it, but your Mommy says you can’t have some.” She patted her on the head and smiled. “Why don’t you wake the others? I’ll get breakfast started.”

“Kay!” the filly said before downing the rest of the coffee and pulling a grimace. “Yuck, I think the only thing that would save that would be sugar,” she said, before hopping off of Midnight’s back and trotting towards the stairs. Halfway there, though, she paused, one hoof raised halfway between steps as the filly just...stood there.

Midnight poked her head out the door as saw the frozen filly. “You okay Joy? You forget how to climb stairs?”

And then the filly was gone in the blink of an eye.

“Oooh, that’s not good,” Midnight whispered. Well, she couldn’t do anything now. She’d write them all a nice eulogy. With a hum, she turned back to the kitchen. There were shouts from above as everypony and buggy were abruptly awoken before the pink filly returned.

“Thanks for the drink miss Midnight, everybuggy’s up now, and I feel like having fun and visiting all my friends in the city!” The rate at which she said those words put her mere mortal ears under quite a bit of strain. “So I’ll see you all later, I’m gonna go see miss Amy and maybe that mean old griffon that keeps stealing her away. BYE!”

Midnight blinked as she looked around the kitchen. She had heard...something. There was a blur, some babbling sound...then a swinging door. Was that Heart?

Oh well. The Thestral sang softly as she fired up the stove and began cooking breakfast. Sounds began filtering in from above as ponies and bugs started to move about and begin their daily routines...and then a small note of panic filled the air and came towards her.

Midnight ignored them though, why was everypony not a morning pony around here? She just continued singing as she flipped the pancakes and put the second pot of coffee on. Cider poked her head around the corner...gasping slightly as she pulled back. This was...was that possible?

“...you’re sure?...” Ledger asked once he heard what was happening after Cider informed them of who was cooking breakfast...and that she was actually cooking breakfast. “It’s not a lack of coffee getting to you?”

“Ah’m not you Ledger,” Cider sighed as she held the drone back. “And yeah, she seems to be cooking. It looks...edible, and nothing is on fire.”

“Do I even want to know?” Critical yawned from the couch. What the hell was that that woke her up?

“Midnight has a bad habit of destroying kitchens,” Ledger said with a sigh. “To the point where we try not to let her in one for fear of spontaneous kitchen seppuku.”

“Now you’re just being dramatic,” Crit sighed as she got up. There sound of somepony tumbling and a lot of shouting could be heard as the trio of brothers made themselves known. Scope followed a moment later and looked at them, before blasting them with a sleep spell and smiling.

“Ahh, much better.”

“Scope, you can’t just make them go to sleep every time they annoy you,” Ledger sighed. “The folks are arriving today, and they kinda need to be up for that.”

“Fine, I’ll dispel it later...and, where is Midnight? And why is somepony in the kitchen when Midnight is missing? Ohpleasesaysheisn’tinthere!”

“She is,” Ledger sighed. “But leave her be, because whatever she’s up to is working.”

“How?” she said in disbelief. “She could burn air. She set fire to a crystal kitchen for Hives-sake.” That girls night in the Imperial Palace had been...a learning experience.

“I’m not going to try and explain, and I would prefer it if you stopped complaining as well,” Ledger said as he just sat down and waited. “It’ll be something we ask together, calmly, later.”

And then, over the sounds of cooking, they all heard something else. Something even kept the trio quiet once they woke back up.

The sound of Midnight singing.

“W-What is that?” Critical said. “It’s...beautiful.”

“That is the sound of Midnight putting her heart and soul into something,” Ledger sighed as he closed his eyes. Eventually, the singing stopped and Midnight walked out of the kitchen to see everypony staring at her.

“Um...yes?”

“Nothing,” Cider replied as she looked at her marefriend. “Is everything...okay?”

The Thestral frowned as she placed a stack of fresh pancakes on the table, and then followed up with two pots of coffee. “If none of you want it, I’ll eat it myself.”

“It’s fine,” Ledger said as he sat at the table and poked the food with a fork. “Well...guys, it...seems normal.”

“Go buck a cactus,” Midnight pouted as she piled on her pancakes, completely forgetting about the young ears in the room. Three colts winced and looked at their brother.

“That sound painful,” one said.

“Did you make her mad?” said another.

“What does it even mean?” the youngest said.

“You don’t need to know that,” Ledger said as he gave Midnight the stink-eye. “Keep it up and I’ll buy another couch for you to sleep on tonight,” he vowed.

Midnight just giggled and held her tongue. “Oh, have you seen Joyful? She just vanished after she tried coffee...”

“...You gave a Pink coffee,” Ledger stated dumbly. His four siblings shared a shudder.

“Well it doesn’t seem to affect you, and I didn’t put sugar in it,” Midnight defended herself. “I mean really, she’s just a filly. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“The reason it doesn’t affect me is because I’ve had time to get used to it,” Ledger sighed. “It was a nice town.”

“Oh now you’re being dramatic,” Midnight sighed. “Honestly...”


Ace smiled as he played with Amy’s tail as she served up some ice-cream to her latest customer, the mare rolling her eyes and giving her tail a flick, though it didn’t seem to make him stop.

At least until he tilted his head, a curious noise filling his ears. “Hrm, just what is that sound?”

Amy tilted her head as she listened. “Humm. Sound range, frequency, adjusting for doppler effect...I think that’s an extremely high-pitched sound of ‘WHEEE’ coming towards us.”

“Amy dear, I am quite fond of your little quirks,” Ace said, as he ran his claws through her tail. “But, are you sure about that?”

“Yup,” she said as she flicked her tail and nodded. “Hmm...Hey, remember that filly that pouted the other day because ‘the big mean griffon’ was coming to steal me away from her?”

“Ahh, I recall that one,” Ace chuckled. “She was quite the excitable little Changeling. I wonder who she belongs to?”

“Us, in about ten seconds,” Amy said.

“Oh?...” The Griffon tilted his head as he came to a realisation, especially as the sound drew closer. “Well, is that bad?”

“Could be,” Amy managed to get out before she was tackled by the pink blur. The two rolled for a second, and eventually the pink pegasus was pinned beneath a yellow-on-pink unicorn with bright blue eyes.

“Miss Amy! I found you again!” the smaller ‘pony’ cheered.

“Yup! And now that I’m it, it’s your turn to hide!” Amy chirped, and the unicorn gasped before dashing off as fast as she had arrived, pausing only to shoot a glare at Ace.

“Well, that’ll buy us five minutes,” Amy replied as she picked herself up and dusted herself off. Ace chuckled as he wiped a bit of dirt off and pecked her cheek lightly.

“So what’s the plan? Do you actually wish to play with the little one?”

“I need you to run recon, I’ll try and distract her with the customers,” Amy said. “Figure out who she belongs to...and maybe who gave her coffee, if you can. I used to be the only pink in town, and nobuggy said anything about another one showing up, so...It’ll be somebody who just moved in. Think you can handle it?”

“Finding out who unleashed an unstoppable force of adorable chaos?” Ace took his scarf from Amy and wrapped it around his neck. “I believe I know where I should start my search.” He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek again, getting a chorus of cheers and ‘eww’s’ from the colts and fillies present. “Be back soon my love.”

“Take care, loverbird,” Amy said as she gave him a quick hug and returned the kiss, causing the fillies to coo and the colts to mock-gag. Ace gave a nod and flew the coop, so to speak. He had a Thestral to visit...


At the trainstation, Councilstallion Grissom and his wife stepped off of the train, the former wincing at the sudden sunlight while Moon Song looked as radiant as ever.

“So dear? Are we seeing some sights first?” she asked. “Or will it be right to business?”

“Well, both Celestia and Moondancer told me that Midnight is doing well. And I’m surprised that the latter came to see us.” He checked his pocketwatch and hummed. “I wonder what possessed her to suddenly visit Miss Dancer?”

“I guess we’ll have to ask her,” Moon smiled as a collection of ponies disembarked a carriage further back. They certainly looked like a colourful bunch. The leader of them, a tall, slender unicorn mare with a coat that resembled polished silver and a mane and tail as black as night, fixed her golden eyes upon Grissom and his wife and smiled.

“Ah, do excuse us...do you live here?” she asked in a voice that spoke volumes of the volumes she read.

“I am afraid not,” Moon replied in her rich, cultured tone. “We are just visiting our daughter here in the city.”

“Ah, but you at least would know the lay of the land better than we would,” the mare countered. “We are from far out of town and looking for our wayward flock of children. The eldest said he now resided at a place called ‘Cider Falls,’ have you heard of it?”

Moon Song and Grissom looked at one another, the latter had a small frown as he stepped forward. “I believe I know of that place,” he said. “I don’t suppose...you know a stallion named Level Ledger?”

“Got it in one,” the Violet-coated unicorn stallion said. His green eyes sparkled as he smiled. “My boy came here a while ago, and the rest decided to visit him lately without so much as a by-your-leave.”

“Hrmm, seems we have quite a bit more to talk about then,” Grissom nodded as the extended group headed off of the platform. “Then perhaps somepony could explain how such a large group of changelings like yourselves are here without my knowledge.”

“Dear!” Moon said, nudging him. “What if they are not-?”

“Oh, I believe they are,” Grissom chuckled. The stallions all looked at each other nervously before the red, blue, and yellow pegasi stepped forward with a snort. At the mare’s raised hoof waving them back, they reluctantly stood down.

“Remarkable,” she said with a smile. “You deduced our nature with nothing more than the name of my son to go by. I was aware of your...position, but to be so sharp? Clearly my brother is underestimating you.”

“It helps that I am aware of your son’s...nature,” he said as he looked at nearby ponies. “But, I must admit that it was still mostly a guess. He could have been adopted for all I know.”

“Mm, no, nobility through and through, and good on you for getting the truth out of us with nothing to bet with on your end,” the mare said, her smile even wider. “Still. I must question how you knew Cider Falls was where...Ledger now resides.”

“The truth is quite simple,” the old Thestral stallion chuckled. “I know, because my daughter, Midnight Song, resides there as well.”

“Ah,” the Yellow pegasus said with a nod. “And his letter before the last letter did mention the pair of them were nigh inseparable now. Where one goes, another follows.”

“I am afraid you are in for a bit of a surprise when we arrive, sir,” the mare said with a sigh. “It is not...only Ledger that resides with your daughter at this moment.”

“Yes, I am well aware of Ledger’s ‘herd’,” he chuckled as they walked down the main Strip. “And when you have a daughter like Midnight...”

“Not much surprises you,” Moon finished. “Oh, but where are our manners. I am Moon Song, and this is my husband, Grissom Gossamer.”

“Of course,” the mare said with a nod. “I am...Hmm. My title as it would translate is ‘She who controls the flow of gossip,’ I think. I am my brother’s right hoof when others do not listen to his call for equality. Call me Madam Gossip, if you desire a simpler name.” She nodded her head at the stallions behind her. “And if we wait around for them to introduce themselves, we will never hear the end before we arrive. Though perhaps one will suffice for now…”

“I am Wishful Hope,” the Violet unicorn introduced himself. “The only thing I asked for once Madam was done saving me from what I had been was the chance to show her my love for her, and it resulted in Ledger. And he has done much to make us proud, even now.”

“That sounds wonderful,” Moon smiled warmly, even as three teenaged fillies approached her. The changelings of the group could tell that at least one of them wasn’t a pony.

“Excuse me?” the middle one asked the Unicorn mare. “Are you Miss Moon Song?”

Moon smiled, the look in her eyes said that she’d dealt with this before. “I am she, and you are?”

“Dazzling Diamond, and I’m a huuuuuge fan!” she bubbled.

“She’s an aspiring actress,” one of her friends said with a roll of her eyes. “She wants to be just like you.”

“And we hear it,” the third said, her green eyes shining. “All. The. Time.”

“I understand,” Moon said with a smile. “I do wish you the best of luck as well. Keep in mind that the road you walk is not an easy one, but as long as you have heart, and dedication to entertain, then you can succeed.”

Dazzling beamed brightly as Moon signed a page in her book and the three mares thanked her before leaving. Moon Song turned back to the group and hummed.

“Very sorry about that. Shall we continue?”

“Understandable,” the green unicorn said with a nod. “I’m just glad to see them all get along, and you handling this situation as well as you have. We’ve heard of one too many that get...sour when they get closer and closer to the top of their field, and it’s wonderful you’re not like that.” With that, the small pack of ‘lings were on their way again behind the pony couple.

After a half hour of walking, the bright lights of the city gave way to gentle, green fields and an endless row of trees. The strong scent of apples filled the air as Grissom hummed lightly. He always had a soft spot for the countryside. And he already made plans long ago to retire to a place like Ponyville or the like.

“And I believe we are here,” he hummed as they got closer. He suddenly smiled and opened his mouth, but no sound seemed to come out.

“Dear?” Moon blinked. “Did you just...”

A moment later, a Thestral mare divebombed him from the sky with a mad giggle, the two Thestral’s play-fighting as they tumbled across the ground.

“Mare and Stallions, my two children,” Moon sighed.

“They remind me of our children,” the red pegasus said, jostling his fellows, a blue and yellow pegasus, who nodded and muttered their agreement.

“At least these two haven’t destroyed anything yet,” the Madam observed with a soft smile of her own.

Yet,” the green unicorn said with a sigh. “Give it time…”

The two Thestral’s separated as they circled around one another, hissing and baring their fangs, until they grinned and hugged. Midnight eventually broke the hug and moved to embrace her mother like a normal pony, before she finally noticed the other ponies.

“Oh, who are your friends?” she asked. The head of the small group of changelings walked forward and leaned down until she was looking Midnight right in the eyes.

It was a little weird.

“I am Madam Gossip,” the mare said, her eyes briefly flashing to resemble Ledger’s in his changeling form for the next bit of her introduction. “I believe you know my son, miss?”

“You...you're Levvy’s Mom?” she blinked. A quick glance at the other stallions and the pieces fell into place for her. “Ah, well...” Oh buck, how was she supposed to act? She decided to play it safe for now as she gave a polite bow of her head.

“A pleasure to meet you Lady Madam,” she replied, unsure of what her social rank might be. She was pretty sure Ledger said he was a Duke or Lord... “I am Lady Midnight Song.”

“Well with those niceties out of the way,” the mare said as she resumed her normal pose and winked at the thestral mare. “I’m here to collect my wayward children, I heard you have them? I’m sorry to say I didn’t bring a ransom.”

“Hmm, a pity,” Midnight replied with a haughty huff. “I suppose a trade of good faith might work though. You may have the trio that I’ve whipped into shape, but I must insist that I keep Joyful-Heart. She is just too cute to part with~”

“You lost her, didn’t you,” the orange earth pony deadpanned from his spot.

“Eheheh~ Whaaaat makes you say that?” Midnight blushed and looked away.

“Midnight...” Grissom said slowly.

“It wasn’t my fault...”

“I believe her,” the Madam and the orange pony said at the same time.

“Joyful-Heart is a Pink, and Pinks are...unpredictable,” the Madam led with.

“I once found her sleeping in her bed on the ceiling above me,” the orange said with a shake of his head. “I don’t know how she got her end-table up there. Or how the lamp worked. She disappears all the time. It’s when she reappears that trouble starts. One time she came back with a timberwolf...that nopony else could go near… after being gone all day.”

“She called it Splinters, and it makes a fantastic guard dog,” the blue pegasus said with a smile.

“And sparring partner,” the yellow pitched in.

“Now I really regret giving her that coffee,” Midnight said, gulping audibly. The changelings in disguise all paled. Even the Madam.

“...Well, this was a nice town,” the Madam observed aloud. “I’m going to miss it.”

“Why does everypony keep saying that?” Midnight wailed as her mother pet her mane.

“Well, perhaps we should go and see if your boys are around?” Grissom said and Midnight flinched.

“Uh...yeah, Levvy’s a bit...occupied now,” she said. “Those trio of colts are running Joy’s obstacle course again. They’re getting better. They can do three laps unscathed now.”

“Why didn’t I think of that?” the yellow pegasus asked aloud.

“Probably because we were never so cruel?” the green unicorn sniped back.

“I taught you well,” Grissom smiled as he ruffled her mane. Her mother frowned though.

“Well Leger’s parents came all the way here,” she said. “The least he could do is come and meet them, no matter what is occupying him.”

“Well,” Midnight said and that gleam in her eye told Moon she shouldn’t have given Midnight the opening. “Once he’s done occupying Scopey and Cider. I’m sure he will come to meet them.”

The changelings were speechless, all save one. The Violet unicorn walked over to Midnight, then turned to face the Madam and drew the thestral mare in for a side-hug.

“Madam, I like this one, can we get one while we’re here?” he asked like a foal asking for the latest toy.

“Sorry, I’m taken already,” Midnight winked. “But there are a few Ladies that might interest you~”

“It has been a while since I talked with one of my fellow Violets…” the unicorn mused. “Once I catch up with my colt, then.” He nodded as he resolved to go to see them before turning to Midnight to ask the question he now needed answered. “How long do you think that’ll be, little miss? You’re the one who knows him best of us here in...that department.”

Midnight’s smile turned wickedly sharp. She closed her eyes as she projected her thoughts. One could almost hear Ledger give a pained-slash-pleasured groan.

“Hee, I think he’s done now,” she giggled. The stallion next to her shifted a little as he’d caught the tail end of that and barely kept himself under control.

“Yes, well, my son’s mating practices aside,” the Madam said with a smile. “What of Critical Eye? I assume she is around as well?”

“Somewhere,” Midnight said. “Maybe admiring that painting Ledger gave her and-Hmm, excuse me for just oonneeee moment.” She flew over to three colts, looking weary but satisfied.

“WHAT WAS THAT WEAK-ASS PERFORMANCE!? MY GRANDMOTHER COULD HAVE DONE THAT BACKWARDS. I WANT TWENTY MORE LAPS. HUP TO IT MAGGOTS!!”

The red and blue colts had been about to protest, but the yellow one jabbed them both with his wings and pointed at the gathering not a hundred yards away. One that looked a lot like some unfamiliar ponies with their family in disguise. With a shared look of panic, the three all but dove back into the obstacle course, eager to avoid that confrontation for a little while yet.

“Aww, I’m so proud of them,” Midnight cooed. Once she equipped them with the weapons they’d bought, she also gotten Joy to do over her surprises. Midnight still had to wonder where the dragon came from…

“I am impressed with the way you got them to follow your directions so rapidly,” the red pegasus rumbled. “Almost as much as I am with them managing to run that obstacle course.”

“They’re doing well,” she said. “Their overall combat performance is up sixty percent, and I’m also working on tactics and military history.”

“...how did you get them to actually listen to you?” the blue pegasus stallion asked. “Whenever we try, they take it as an opportunity to bicker and quibble until our improvised class falls apart in one of their fights.”

“I gave them an option,” Midnight chuckled darkly as a distant roar sounded. Ooh, the dragon was in a bad mood today. “Either listen to mine and Ledger’s lectures, or plough Cider’s fields again.”

“I thought that was Ledger’s job?” the Violet stallion asked.

Midnight blinked as she realised what she said. She just facehooved and smiled at him. “I like him, can I keep him too?” she asked Madam.

“Sorry, he’s mine, you have your own version anyways, don’t you?” she teased. Slowly the changelings were coming down from their blushes and lewd laughter.

“True enough,” Midnight hummed as she saw a dishevelled Ledger leave the greenhouse where he had just planted his seeds. “Oi! Ledger! Over here!”

Ledger looked over, saw that not only his family, but Midnight’s as well had gathered, took in his current state...and blushed so hard it was nearly visible from where they were. With a soft squeak and a pop, Ledger vanished...and reappeared on the roof of the house.

“Seems he still hasn’t gotten that teleport spell down yet,” Midnight chuckled as Cider and Scope also emerged, the latter wobbling slightly. She too saw the gathering and she squeaked, before both mares vanished with a flash of light.

“And Scopey shows her magical mastery,” Midnight smiled. Ledger vanished from on top of the roof, this time not re-appearing. They could only assume he’d gotten it right this time.

“Well, shall we go inside?” Midnight hummed. “Perhaps we can find at least one of your children?”

“That would be preferred,” the mare said as she opened the door from afar for everypony. “After you three.”

The two Thestrals and Unicorn nodded and headed inside...and to whatever awaited them on the other side of that door.

Today should prove most interesting.


Cider had moved her furniture in the living room and brought in a large, neighponese table that she bought once on a whim. Seated around it were two Thestrals, one earth Pony and eight or so Unicorns.

“There is no love for the winged races huh?” Midnight mused. “Nooo, y’all gotta rely on your fancy-smancy magicks~”

“We normally are pegasi when we are disguised,” the yellow unicorn indicated himself and the blue and red neighbors he had. “But any extra wings in an already crowded space like this is just asking for trouble.”

“Plus, it helps us avoid any accidents,” the orange stallion said. “We’re evenly trained in all the races. Magic just helps us avoid things like spills, trips, fumbles…”

“Plus you can’t teleport as any other one,” Scope nodded. She loved Teleportation...mostly because she was lazy.

“Ah, I’m just messing with you,” Midnight chuckled as she gave them a sultry stare. “The last time I had this many hard horns pointed at me-”

“Aaaaand now we should discuss other things,” Grissom coughed.

“Madam, can we please look into acquiring a servant like her?” the violet unicorn asked. “She’s fun.”

“And here I thought you had eyes for me,” the silver mare sighed. “I do apologize if my sudden arrival has put you ill at ease, Council-stallion Grissom. But I had to reign in my wayward children...save for Ledger. He’s fine as is.”

“He’s a good lad, so don’t worry,” he said with a toothy smile. “Your arrival just means more paperwork for me. And please, just call me Grissom, we’re all family here.”

“Yup!” Midnight beamed as she hugged her Changeling, before giving him a deep kiss. Ledger blushed a little and once they came up for air, shot a look at his father. “Not. A word,” the brown unicorn threatened.

“How about three? Like, you go, colt? Or maybe, that’s some tongue!” the violet unicorn replied with a slowly growing smile. The silver mare coughed gently and retook control of the conversation.

“All joking aside, it is quite nice to see you recovered from the events of…” the Madam trailed off, not wanting to pick at old wounds. Ledger sighed and pulled Midnight in for a side-hug.

“I blame her. Totally and completely. It’s all her fault that I’m back to normal and being shared.”

“Yup,” Midnight nodded with a serious expression. “It was quite touching really...followed by a lot of touching~ We bonded over a boner.”

The room echoed with Moon’s and Grissom’s simultaneous facehoofing.

“And then there was the time you got me drunk,” Ledger said. “Or the time after my life finally actually stabilized. It’s been a roller-coaster of emotions.”

“Yeah, I met my worst enemies, you cheated on me, then we made a herd...then I flipped out and we had our first fight, oh, and the multiple times we almost died...and that one time I did die, when you killed me.” Midnight tapped her chin as she thought. “Hmm, oh, I kissed a bunch of princesses, you met a bunch of princesses and flipped out. Then we made our herd bigger, and everyone is discovering that Changelings make for great life-partners... Am I forgetting anything?”

“The empire,” Ledger suggested. “We had quite the adventure there, Special Agent Song.”

“Ooohhh, yeah! You and Scopey totally became Royal Changeling/Alicorn/thingies! And we discovered that Cadence is a riot to hang with, and the whole Empire is run by a sentient magical artifact that has Ledger’s personality.”

“Plus you kept harping on about wanting to know my name’s story,” Ledger said with a smile. “We could each write a book series: I with my name, you with all the stuff we’ve done.”

“Nah, I am waaay too busy to write a book,” Midnight waved a hoof. “Though, knowing me, it’d be a bestseller, cause I’m kind of awesome like that.”

“...Well, you seem to have done a lot,” Gossip observed as she sipped at the coffee she’d been provided. “More than you wrote about at any rate.”

“How exactly would I explain even a fraction of what Midnight has just said and still manage to not send a tome home?” Ledger asked with a raised eyebrow. “It’d be impossible.”

“...Point made,” the mare said with a grin. “Still, perhaps you and your mares could enlighten us as to how you intend to move forward with this little experiment of yours?”

“Well,” Midnight gave her wings a little flutter as she looked at her marefriends. “Our next big decision has...well it’s been left up to me. We’ve just kinda been winging it so far, and it seems to be working for the most part. We’re not rushing anything, just...I...”

Moon and Grissom already had an inkling as to what she was talking about. “No one is pressuring you dear,” Moon said with a smile. “Isn’t that right, everyone?”

“Of course,” Ledger said with a small nod. “She’s free to decide for herself. I’ve merely made it known that we will not be arriving at point C without passing through all relevant points first.” Or, translated from Ledger-talk: No children before marriage.

“Ledger doesn’t want foals just yet,” Cider clarified. “Midnight’s job can’t be done safely by a pregnant mare, nor can Scope’s. An ah would require careful plannin’ around the season’s, and arrange more help for when ah can’t do it.” Seriously, having a foal shouldn’t be so damned hard. “And we all made the decision of us getting married to be left to Midnight. And ain’t nopony gonna change our minds on that.”

“As the one who’s the most uncomfortable with the idea,” with me running a close second! “It falls to her to propose, to let us know she’s ready. Then and only then will we look into getting this relationship of ours cemented somehow.” Level Ledger took a sip of his coffee and hummed. Home grown really was the best~

“We understand,” Moon said with a smile. “No matter what decisions you three? No, four now, sorry Scope.”

“S’all right,” Scope shrugged. She’d gotten bored with the conversation, and was now perched in the rafters, writing away once again.

“As I was saying,” Moon continued. “You will have our full support. Anything you kids need, just ask us okay?”

“Hmm,” Ledger hummed. “Maybe in a few months, if our little experiment here works, I’ll take you up on that,” the brown unicorn said with a hoof gesturing towards where the greenhouse was. “We’re trying something that’s not been done before, to our knowledge, and if it works, we’re going to need contacts.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” Grissom nodded. Moon Song also had the ears of several high-ranking Nobles in Canterlot.

“Well, you always were one to play things close to the chest,” the silver mare said with a smile. “Hopefully this won’t be another secret for your collection, dear.” A pause for a moment. “Which reminds me…”

“No,” Ledger said flatly. “I’m not saying.”

“Pity,” Madam Gossip said as she swirled her coffeecup. “Ah well, there’s always next time.”

“The answer will remain the same,” Ledger said with a roll of his eyes. The old mare chuckled and looked at Midnight.

“I’m afraid I have to steal my son from you for a moment,” the disguised ‘ling informed the batpony.

“Hmm, I guess so,” Midnight hummed and smiled at her stallion. “Just don’t be too long, he’s kinda hopeless without me~”

With a silver light, Ledger was yanked from Midnight’s grasp and found himself in the crushing embrace of his mother. The drone tried to pry enough of a gap into the hug so that he could breathe, but it was an uphill battle.

“Aw, now I have nopony to...” Midnight reached across to make a grab for Cider, but Moon was faster, scooping up her little bat as Midnight squawked.

“HAH!” Scope called out from the rafters. “Not so fun when the shoe’s on the other hoof huh?”

“Oh don’t worry dear,” Madam said as she hugged and nuzzled her colt without looking up. “You’re next.

“Go hug a cactus,” Scope replied as she went back to her book.

Not a pleasant experience,” the orange stallion said. “Wouldn’t recommend it.”

“It’s why she said it, dear,” Madam gossip said as she finally let Ledger breathe, before leaning in and whispering in his ear. Surprisingly, Ledger whispered back something that caused the mare to pause and blush bright red.

“Well that’s an interesting reaction,” Midnight giggled. “Hey Ledger? Your Mom’s kinda cute when she blushes~”

“I know, right?” the Violet unicorn agreed with a smile. “I just love seeing her blush like that. Especially after a long, hard night of-”

“Oh sweet Hives, he’s as bad as the Mistress!” Scope threw up her hooves in mock-defeat. Ledger walked over to Cider and hugged her, wanting to cuddle one of his mares that was free, but Scope wasn’t cooperative on the best of days.

“Ahem...well. That aside…” Madam Gossip looked up and pointed one hoof at the floor in front of her. “Come here, missy.”

“Pass,” Scope replied back. “Sorry Ma’am, I’m just not the hugging type.”

“If you are seeing my colt, you are,” the Madam said, her tone only slightly turning dangerous at the end. “I intend to hug all three of you before I leave. And rarely am I successfully denied what I intend to do.”

Scope closed her book as she looked at the Noble nymph. The last full-grown nymph to hug her was her mother...right before she left Scope to die.

“Again. Pass,” she said as she resumed her writing. “Ask Midnight, she loves hugs...though she might molest you.”

“Miss Scope, you will either get down here and give me a hug, or I will call for my youngest daughter to do it for me,” the matriarch delivered her ultimatum and waited for the small nymph to react.

“That Pink is currently on a coffee-bender somewhere in the city,” Scope smirked back, calling her bluff. “I think I’ll take my chances Ma’am.”

The madam smiled even wider and delicately cleared her throat, giving the nymph one last chance to rethink her words before the weapon was called for. Scope rolled her eyes as she lowered herself down to the ground, and Midnight caught that gleam in her eye.

This wasn’t going to end well...

The Unicorn mare approached the Madam, and just as she reached her?

She grinned and teleported away.

“You had your chance. I just want you to think about that in what comes next,” the Madam said as she closed her eyes, preparing to summon the pink ‘ling through a ritual the two had set up long ago.

“Sweet little gumdrop, where could you be-” she started...and got a response. From above.

“Mommy’s tired of looking for me?” the suddenly there Joyful-Heart said as she fell from the rafters and landed right in front of the Madam.

“There you are, playful honey-bee!” the Madam said as she scooped the little filly up and cuddled her. Joyful let out a small shriek of, well, joy at the attention.

“Aw, here I am momma, please don’t be angry,” the nymph finished. “Whatcha need me for, mom?”

“Miss Scope isn’t feeling up to giving your momma a hug,” Madam Gossip said as she put the pink ‘ling down. “Give her one for me?”

“Kay!” the little ‘ling said. And then somepony blinked, and Joyful-Heart was gone from the room. There was a sudden shout from upstairs and the sound of somepony cursing and tumbling across the floor.

“That was...terrifying,” Midnight replied, leaning into her mother’s hug a little more.

“We each have our own little chants we can do to call for Joyful-Heart,” Ledger said. “I am afraid to use mine. Nor will I ever actually share the lyrics with anypony.”

Midnight tapped her chin and hummed thoughtfully. Moon Song smiled as she scratched the Thestral’s fluffy ears. “I know that look dear, you’re planning something aren’t you?”

“Mmmaaaayyyybe!” Song giggled.

“...If you attempt to make a summoning-song with Joyful, I swear,” Ledger said, pointing a hoof at the mare. “Couch. Forever.

It was too late, the die had been cast and the first notes hummed.

“Oh dearest fairy, where have you flown~?” she sang out in a pure tone.

“The flowers have dried up, I’m looking for home!” came from upstairs, over Scope’s indignant shouting. According to the screams, Joyful-Heart was either dragging or trying to take the other nymph with her.

“Then fly-fly away, come and make yourself known~”

“Since you ask me so sweetly, I shall return to this zone!” With that, Joyful-Heart walked in, dragging Scope along after her. Somehow.

The others were rapidly learning it was best not to question this filly.

“Only you Midnight,” Grissom chuckled as he sipped at his coffee. “Only you.”

“I’ve never had somebuggy else make the song before!” the filly giggled before releasing Scope and diving at Midnight, forearms extended in the ‘hugging’ position.

“Little fairy,” the Thestral giggled as she caught her, and her mother soon found herself hugging two ponies. Scope just twitched as she lay on the floor.

She had...seen things.

“Hiya big bat!” the pink ‘ling said as she nuzzled Scope, before looking at Moon Song. “Oooh. Hi, pretty lady!”

“Hello little one,” Moon smiled as she all but tossed Midnight aside to hug the nymph. “And what might your name be?”

“I’m Joyful-Heart!” the pink nymph said as she looked up at the older mare. “Who’re you?”

“I’m Moon Song, I’m Middy’s mommy,” the Unicorn nuzzled the adorable foal. Oh she wished that Midnight was still so small and cute.

“Huh?” the pink nymph said as she looked from Midnight to Moon Song, then back again, before nodding. “Yeah, I buy it. You’re both pretty.”

“Aw, such a sweetheart,” Moon giggled. “Midnight, I know what I said. But when am I getting grandfoals to spoil and cuddle?”

Midnight just sighed and shook her head before she looked at Scope. “You okay midget?”

“Kill...me...” she groaned.

“She’s my daughter,” the orange stallion spoke up. “I was unaware I had any Pink heritage, but there we have it. I try to get her to not involve other ponies in her...antics, and she mostly listens…”

“Uurrghhhhh...” Scope just groaned and rolled over...right into Madam. The noble nymph wasted no time and picked the smaller one up for a hug, though thankfully it wasn’t bone-crushingly tight, just firm enough to be felt.

“Dammit...” Scope sighed. There was no escaping this crap, and there was no way she was letting that Pink touch her ever again.

“So,” Midnight asked. “Which one of you is Ledger’s papa?”

“That’d be me,” the Violet drone said with a raised hoof. “Madam saved us all, and we do what we can to help her. When it came time for me, there was really only one duty left around the house that none of these others thought to take for themselves.”

“Oh?” she asked with mischievous eyes. Ledger just groaned and prayed she’d have at least some decorum.

Those prayers would go unanswered.

“So,” Midnight said, suddenly next to him. “I guess I have you to thank for that wonderfully gifted stallion~?”

“It was rather obvious whose son he was the moment we got a look,” the stallion said with an equally mischievous grin. “He may be a Silver, but he’s Violet where it counts.

“Oh, you had better believe that I have lost count over how many I’ve had because of him,” Midnight giggled. “And yet, he had no idea what he had until I showed him how to really use it~”

The disguised drone let out a sigh. “Such a crime, letting such a fine tool go unused for as long as he did,” he tsked. “At least you’re taking steps to rectify that.”

“Oh believe me, we are making sure he makes up for lost time,” Midnight continued. Forget an off switch, apparently Midnight’s designer had no idea such a thing even existed. Ledger merely broke the cuddle with Cider, letting her deal with the situation instead. Surely the farmmare would stop all this lewdness.

“Ah have a question,” Cider asked them. “Is the sugar thing yer doin’ as well? Ledger kinda goes nuts when ah-”

“Cider!” Ledger blushed, trying to get her to stop.

“For Changelings, sugar is very much like a physical manifestation of the closest they’ve ever gotten to Love,” the orange explained. “You would be hard-pressed to find a ‘ling that does not like sugar. Ledger...indulges rarely, if ever, or at least he did.

“You sure about that?” Midnight asked. “The guy has more sugar than coffee in the mornings.”

“And when ah got some in mah coat he-”

“Cider, they don’t need to hear that,” Ledger said with a bigger blush. Madam Gossip, however, looked thoughtful.

“Ledger, you did say you found something to help you through the day after...that day. Did you-”

“Yes alright fine, I turned to sugar to help me deal with the trauma,” Ledger snapped. “It was a memory of happier times and it helped chase away the pain.”

Nopony else got to respond as Ledger found himself buried under three mares, all hugging the life out of him.

“Help,” he squeaked from the bottom of the pile. He knew Midnight knew, and Scope probably did as well, but Cider...probably didn’t and wouldn’t let up until she did.

“You an’ I are gonna have a loong talk later,” the farmpony whispered into his ear. “And Middy! Stop groping me!”

“Fine,” Midnight frowned as she moved back to sit in between the Violet stallion and Madam. “So, where were we?”

“Somewhere between embarrassing Ledger into being a Red through sheer blush alone and learning about his sugar addiction,” the Violet stallion said as he sipped at his drink.

“Ahh,” Midnight nodded, then she had a lightbulb moment, and give the current context, Ledger knew it could be nothing good.

“I know that look,” the brown unicorn said as he managed to sit up again, finally. Cider was still hugging him, and he was okay with that. “That’s the look of an incoming Midnight Moment.”

“Maaayybe,” she giggled. Grissom and Moon sighed again. They had learned long ago that they should just stop apologising for their daughter. That was a full-time job.

The bat grinned as she looked at Madam Gossip and licked her lips. Before leaning up and begun whispering in the Violet stallions ear. What was even more interesting was the variety of facial expressions he cycled through.

“Mhmm...oh? But is that- Ohhhh! Well, I guess I could...he does what!? That’s my boy!!”

“Midnight, I say this for both your sakes,” Ledger grumbled. “Please don’t get into a lewd-off with dad. He’s a Violet. Now that I know what that actually means, I’d rather avoid the pair of you trying to out-do one another.”

Midnight blinked as she pulled away for a moment. “Silly Levvy, you know a Violet is no match for me.”

Scope’s eyes went wide as the Madam had somehow drawn her in for another hug. “NO! Bad! I do NOT want a repeat of that day! How...How did you do that to FOUR Violets!?”

All the ‘lings in the room slowly turned to look at Midnight, expressions ranging from awe and respect, to slight fear and terror on each face. Except for Ledger. He was unfazed.

“Some days I feel like the only thing stopping you from going out and doing Equestria, one pony at a time, is me, Cider, and Scope,” Ledger quipped as he sipped his coffee.

“Yeah, you guys really put a dampener on that goal,” Midnight hummed. “And don’t worry Scopey, I was just annoyed that day. I am sorry though.”

“Dear,” Moon sipped her tea. “The last time you got ‘annoyed’ as you put it, wasn’t a dragon-”

“Yeah...that was fun,” Midnight sighed wistfully. “Now, where was I?”

The Violet stallion recovered as he smiled. “Somewhere around Ledger using his tongue to-”

“Aaaand changing the subject again,” Ledger interrupted. “How long are you here for?”

“At least two days to recover from the rush over here,” the Madam said with a slight smile. “After which, we may stay a little longer to take in the sights. This is the first time we’ve been outside of the Lands in some time...some of us haven’t ever seen Equestria, and it would be a poor use of our visitor’s visa if we didn’t actually see anything while we were here.”

“Ooh, we should totally go out again!” Midnight smiled widely. “I bet Madam would be a blast to hang out with. And cool stuff always happens when we go out.”

“I will admit, life is never boring with you dear,” Moon said. There was a knock at the door, but Critical’s voice sounded out that she’d get it.

“It would not be a bad thing,” the silver mare mused. “It has been some time since I used the name of this disguise...I think I actually forgot it. Pity. I’ll have to come up with a new one.”

Midnight’s eyes gleamed again, but Scope shoved a hoof in her mouth.

“I do not think a royal Changeling would let you name her Mistress,” Scope sighed. “Besides...I know you and what you’d prolly use.”

“Seeing as how well she and Hope get along,” the mare said with a slight laugh. “I can guess. Ah well. If I fail to come up with one, I’m sure Inspired-Dream will come up with something.”

The green stallion nodded as he took in the Madam’s form and hummed. “Form is only one part of the name for ponies. Typically their talent and Cutie-Mark also play a big role. If you want a new name, you may need to alter your disguise, ma’am.”

“We’ll come up with something,” the silver mare said as she smiled at Dream. “Now...how about you?” With that, she turned to look at Moon and Grissom. “How long are you here for?”

“I took a little vacation time to come here...well, upon the Princesses insistence, though I didn’t need it,” Grissom replied. “I’m just glad to see that everypony is safe. But truly? We have no plans. We’re planning on at least staying the night.”

“A fair answer,” the yellow stallion said with a nod. “In which case, we shall look for-”

With those words, Ledger’s horn lit up silver, and a small scroll was brought out of his bag. “Already looked into it and told these hotels to be prepared to possibly receive a large, well-tipping party of seven,” Ledger said. “I assume you’d like us to continue to look after the inmates until you’re ready to collect them and take them home?”

“And that, mares and stallions, is why we love Ledger.” Madam said as she took the list from him. As she did, Critical-Eye walked into the room, a slight blush on her face as she looked at the large gathering.

“Um, there is a very big Griffon at the door,” she said with a small squeak.

“Did he have a scarf?” Ledger asked without turning his head.

“Indeed he does Ledger,” the Griffon replied as he walked in. He looked around and hummed slightly. “Hrrm, there are a good deal more Changeling’s here than I recall. Family I take it?”

“My brothers and sisters jumped the border, so my father, mother, and step-fathers came to retrieve them discreetly,” Ledger said, putting pressure on the last word. He trusted the griffon enough that he didn’t think the half-bird would go running off to the guard and tell them about the sudden bug population.

“Fair enough then,” Ace nodded as he looked at the full room. “Ah, forgive my intrusion, but I have a conundrum that I had hoped Ledger or Midnight could solve.”

“What is it?” Ledger asked as he turned to look. “Does it need to be said away from family for any reason?”

“No,” Ace shook his head and adjusted his scarf. “Earlier a...friend and myself were accosted by a small pink filly. I identified her as a Changeling, and was wondering if you knew who the little hatchling belonged to.”

“Joyful,” every changeling in the room deadpanned. Which was kind of freaky, hearing them say the name in unison like that.

“What did she do this time?” the orange unicorn stallion sighed.

“Well, she just hugged my friend, then flew off,” Ace chuckled, though the name thing was a tad unsettling. Still, Amy owed him now. He knew Ledger and his kin were behind this. “We were just a little curious and a tad concerned is all.”

“Ace, Y’know how Amy is usually cheery and happy all the time? Energetic to the point of infectiousness?” Ledger asked, leading the griffon along the path of enlightenment.

“Aye,” he said. “I might have an inkling to that.” He wasn’t sure if Ledger and his were aware of their ‘relations’ but he figured he wouldn’t tell unless Amy/Cherry asked him to.

“Take that enthusiasm and put it in a filly’s body. Voila, you have Joyful-Heart. Now add caffeine.” Ledger waited for the light to dawn as to how big a mistake that was.

To his credit, the only reaction that he got was slightly wider eyes, and a hint of fear that seeped from the Griffon’s body. But to those that knew him and what he was capable of, this was him freaking right the fuck out. He had made the mistake a few days ago of giving Cherry a morning coffee instead of tea.

That had been an...enthusiastic morning.

“Yeah, blame Midnight,” Ledger threw his marefriend under the cart on that one. “Apparently somepony thought that she wasn’t perky enough in the mornings. She’s bad enough on her own. Or when she eats sugar.”

“At least I didn’t put sugar in the coffee,” Midnight pouted. She looked up at Hope and Madam. “Can I come home with you guys? I feel underappreciated here.”

“Sure!” Hope smiled without missing a beat. The Madam however shook her head with a smile on her face.

“I am certain my son would not appreciate us stealing you away to the Homelands, seeing as he has vowed to only return when he’s learned everything Equestria has to offer.”

“I was seventeen!” the brown unicorn protested.

“And you’re any better now?” his mother countered.

“...Yes, actually.” The response slightly stunned the others. “I don’t need to know all the secrets of Equestria. I have everything I need right here.”

“Yup,” Midnight nodded. “It’s not like he needs to see the books in Princess Celestia’s personal collection, that have been rumoured that only she has ever laid eyes on.”

“I wouldn’t say no if she offered,” Ledger said before giving Midnight a soft peck on the cheek. “Buuuut, that’s awfully far away from my little bat here. Guess they’ll just have to remain a mys-” he never got to finish that sentence before he found himself on his back, with a mouthful of Thestral tongue.

“You go, mare!” Hope cheered from the sidelines, enjoying the show and the passion she put into it. It was also around then that the changeling’s felt the sheer amount of love and lust that Thestral had.

“Oh wow,” the orange stallion said as he rubbed at his horn. “She’s, uh...very loving, your daughter,” he told Moon and Grissom. “Is that...normal? It’s almost like she loves everything about Ledger...to the point where a hive could probably be fed from it alone.”

A low growl came from Grissom’s throat, but Moon placed a hoof on his shoulder and smiled. “Don’t worry, I’m sure it wasn’t meant in that context. And if it was, then I will also be quite upset. But, yes, our daughter has always been very loving.”

“Ah, it’s just…” the orange tried to backpedal, and it was the blue that saved him, surprisingly.

“Were I in charge of a Hive, I would send my gatherers here to just leech off the excess in the air, and never worry about starvation again,” he explained. The orange one nodded a few times.

“Yes, exactly.”

Grissom sighed as he closed his wings, realising that they were open slightly. “Yes, you meant nothing harmful by it I’m sure. But as long as it's being discussed. Please refrain from talking about your feeding and my daughter in the same sentence.”

Midnight had finally released Ledger and looked at her father with a concerned look. Ledger took a breath and got his hooves under him before leaning in to whisper in Midnight’s ear.

They don’t know. Should they?

Midnight sighed as she sat up. “Please forgive Daddy, he’s just worried about me, that’s all.” Her body gave a brief shudder, but she could stand it if the two families started a fight over a misunderstanding. “I was there...during that wedding. And...” She bit her lip. Why was it so hard to talk about, even now?

“You all heard about my fight?” Ledger bluntly asked his step-fathers. They all nodded slowly.

“She met him before.”

Small gasps and looks of sympathy were shot at Midnight then, each one looking sad and upset that she’d seen that side of their race.

“And this is why I hate talking about it,” Midnight muttered. She hated having the sympathy of others. It was a thing that happened, she was fine now... for the most part. “Just, don’t get into a fight because of that alright?”

“Of course not, dear,” Madam said as she put her coffee down and held her forelegs apart, the offer of a hug there but not insistantly so. “Still, I have...dealt with them before. And we were only talking hypotheticals, Council-Stallion Grissom.”

“I acted rashly and hastily, for that, you have my apologies,” Grissom nodded. Song smiled at the Madam, but opted to stay in Ledger’s hug for the time being.

“Well,” Ace nodded as he sensed that a change in subject was needed. “Seeing as how my question has been answered, I’ll take my leave.” He looked at the batpony mare and smiled. “We should resume your training soon as well. Best not put it off for too long lass.”

“Yeah,” Midnight replied quietly.

Ledger gave his mare a soft kiss on the top of her head as he held her close. If he was needed to comfort her, it was a sacrifice he was more than willing to make. The Thestral glanced at a clock, a little after noon...eh, it was four o’clock somewhere.

“Hey Cider?” the batpony spoke softly. “Why don’t you show these guys your special talent?”

The mare blinked and tilted her head. “Its a little early isn’t it?” But all she got in return was a shrug. “Well, iffn’ y’all want. Ah can entertain ‘em.”

“We’d rather not,” the yellow stallion said, with mostly murmurers of agreement from his fellow ‘lings. “We’re plenty tired as-is, unless you’d like to end up housing us as well for the night-”

“I’m having one,” the violet said.

“One what?” the orange stallion questioned, to which the silver mare laughed slightly before replying.

“Dear, you really do need to read Ledger’s letters more often. Apple Cider, as evidenced by her name, is quite adept at brews.” The silver mare looked at Apple Cider and nodded slightly. “Just a small one, though. I have to play shepard to this flock yet today.”

“That’s fine, ah fetch some of the stock that have a low alcohol content,” Cider nodded as she trotted off to her cellar. She felt that a certain somepony might appreciate something with a little more kick to it though, as she brought up a bottle of her Cloud Cider and some Apple Reserve for Midnight.

Once she returned, Ledger had fetched enough glasses for anypony that wished to partake as Midnight begun to pour. The Cloud Cider earned its name, it had a heavy appearance, as the cloudy liquid swirled in the glass, but it’s taste was light and refreshing. The Reserve was a clear amber, but the scent and taste was quite potent.

She finished moving around the table, filling each glass by about a third.

“There we are,” she smiled. “Bottom’s up everypony!”

Ledger sniffed his drink before smiling and nodding; apparently Cider had learned that he had a remarkable tendency to get drunk quickly. Without any further ado, he began sipping at his drink. No need to tempt fate.

Madam Gossip took her drink and cradled it for the time being while watching the disguised drones she’d arrived with sharing more than a few looks. After about a minute of them silently arguing, the six eventually followed Ledger’s lead.

Cider sipped at her own drink, wondering what the others thought. She’d learned long ago that she couldn’t please everypony, but she at least hoped that they liked it.

“Hmm,” Ledger said as he tasted the drink. “Not too heavy, enough to let me know the alcohol is there...sorta reminds me of that drink Shining started me off with up in the Empire,” he mused.

“Meh,” his father said as he put his now-empty glass down. “It’s not bad, but I’d been hoping for a drink.”

“Needless to say, I don’t get my constitution from him,” Ledger said without missing a beat. Cider smiled as she refilled his glass, this time with a shot of the Reserve.

“Take this one slowly, or you’ll be walkin funny before y’all know it,” she warned him. The stallion smiled and nodded at her before sipping at his new drink and humming appreciatively.

“This is indeed a fine, mild drink. A perfect nightcap, one might say,” the silver mare said as she sipped her own. “Still, unless you yourself wish to play host to more of us, then once we are done, we had best be locating lodgings within the city.”

“Well ah could find a place, but it might get a bit crowded and it’d be askin’ too much for guests t’sleep in the barn.” She looked at Ledger and nodded. “You should go with ‘em, ah reckon they won’t know where these hotels are.”

“Fair point,” Ledger said as he got up and stretched. The brown unicorn then turned to Midnight and gave her a peck on the cheek as a way to say farewell. Song nodded, pouting that her cuddle buddy was leaving, so she pulled Scope in as a substitute. The now Pegasus frowned, but settled in for the long haul.

“We’ll be along later,” Grissom nodded. “We still have some things to talk about with Midnight.”

“It was a pleasure meeting all of you,” Moon said with a soft smile.

“You as well,” the Madam replied as Ledger’s father knocked back the last of his drink. With a coordinated effort, the other changelings managed to get up and moving towards the door in an orderly fashion...though the others did notice that the violet stallion seemed to trip for a moment.

“I, more likely than not, will want to talk to you again in the coming days before we must leave,” she said before standing up herself and nodding at the ponies. “It was a pleasure meeting you, and you have my thanks for looking after my wayward children.”

“Speaking of...” Midnight wondered what had happened to her temporary students. She knows she fed the dragon beforehoof...didn’t she?

“So long as you continue to take care of them, and miss Cider is amicable to the idea, then I don’t see anything wrong with you continuing to look after them until we leave. What do you think, miss Cider?” the Madam asked of her host.

“Ah don’t mind, ah quite like having them around actually.” Cider was especially fond of Critical. She had quite a lot of insight for somepony so young. Midnight’s obvious favorite was Joyful.

Scope could care less.

“Fantastic,” the mare said with a smile. “Mm, I think myself and Dream will come around tomorrow together, to check on both Critical and Ledger. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the others do as well, for similar reasons, or to offer you recompense for having to handle this situation.”

“Y’all don’t need to do that,” Cider replied as she showed them out. “Yer all mah kin now as well, and family looks out fer one another.”

“And they will insist on looking after you, with that argument. I advise you to come up with a better one before too long, dear.” With that, the silver mare turned to leave the ponies be.

Cider waved them off and walked back inside. She hadn’t spoken much with Middy’s parents before, so she was going to make the most of this situation. The older ponies in turn, had questions for Scope and Cider. Given what happened with Midnight’s last marefriend...

And talk they did.

PreviousChapters Next