• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 663 Views, 22 Comments

The Puppetmaster - XSomeGuyX



Having found Professor Tall Tale, the Mane Six are a step closer to reversing Spike to his proper age. However, somepony continues to work in the shadows and manages to steal some of the most valuable items in the Kingdom of Equestria...

  • ...
5
 22
 663

Setting the Stage

Spike finished his final duty of flipping the “Open” sign on the Golden Oaks Library’s door as the dark curtain of night fell upon Ponyville. Unbeknownst to him, an earth pony—a stallion—watched him do so, hidden in the foliage of a nearby tree. He lingered on the branches for a while longer, waiting for the last movements and lights within the library to die out. He remained in the shadows as he briefly scanned the area for any late night straggler. Without a soul in sight, he finally descended from his vantage point.

The stallion hurried over to the library’s door and slowly reached out towards the door. Just before coming in contact with the doorknob, he stopped dead, taking a moment to narrow his gaze at his hoof. With a strong snort, he took hold of the doorknob and turned it.
Just as he suspected, it was unlocked; an ordinary habit that he knew all too well of ponies in such small towns. When he entered the library, his heart began to race as heard the loud snores of Spike sleeping on the second level. The pony crept at an agonizingly slow pace towards the base of the staircase leading to the bedroom, passing by streamers and decorative cloths covering the otherwise plain wooden tables. He measured each hoof step to fall as silently as possible on the old, creaky wooden floor, constantly looking up to check on the sleeping dragon. One misplaced hoof from this distance and he could easily stir Spike from his slumber. The stallion could finally see his target in sight as he began to ascend the stairs.

“You’re here!” Spike screamed. His sudden outburst caused the intruder’s heart to nearly burst out of his chest. With a slow, dry swallow, he turned to Spike only to realize that the dragon was merely talking in his sleep. “Twilight!”

The stallion closed his eyes and took a breath before quietly beginning to rummage through his saddlebags. His heart skipped a beat and his breathing shortened each time Spike uttered a new nonsensical phrase. His eyes darted constantly between the objects in his bag back to the tossing and turning of the sleeping drake, only slowing his desperate search.

“Yeah…” Spike paused to yawn. “Everything’s ready for Twilight’s Welcome Home Party, Pinkie.”

After what felt like an eternity, the earth pony managed to find what he was looking for, despite his nerves. He silently settled a small batch of a long, thin, ashen herb next to dragon’s bed when the sleeping drake spoke once again, causing him to jerk back a bit.

“No more…” Spike moaned as he rubbed his stomach under the sheets. “I can’t say no to you, Rarity. One more ruby couldn’t hurt…”

The stallion narrowed his eyes at the dragon and gave a quiet snort, scoffing at the dragon’s juvenile fantasy. His muzzle dove into his saddlebags once more, this time producing a match. He struck it and lit the batch of herbs on the floor. The batch immediately began to smolder and release its essence into the air, but the stallion withdrew, dodging the fumes. Spike, however, smoothly inhaled the wafting smoke.

The intruder stepped away and watched the sleeping dragon for a few minutes as Spike’s body enlarged, stretching his small basket-bed to its breaking point. He gave the sight a toothy grin as he crept down the stairs and out of the library.


The dawn’s light splashed into Spike’s closed eyes as he fought to stay asleep for just a bit longer. Unfortunately, it was a losing battle for the dragon as the light intensified. Eventually, he gave in and awoke with his usual stretch and yawn. However, his yawn reminded him more of a ferocious roar. It even came with a rather large stream of fire, much larger than anything he had ever remembered producing.

These abnormal happenings scared him fully awake. He stood up and looked down to find he had crushed his bed into nothing but frayed straw pillow feathers. He rushed to the bathroom and found he no longer needed his step stool to reach the sink and look at himself in the mirror. Instead of his usual pudgy baby dragon face, he found a long, narrow face staring back at him with wide eyes. Those very eyes, his eyes, were no longer round but slender with slit-like pupils. His body followed the shape of his face, slim and long.

This radical change in appearance caught Spike off guard as he attempted to place a claw on the sink for support. However, he felt it give way and hit the floor, hard. Groaning, he lifted himself back up and examined the sink, only to find several deep gashes where he thought he had laid his claw. Giving his claw a quizzical look, he decided to grab the sink once again. They effortlessly sliced right through the white porcelain, like a hot knife through butter.

As Spike continued to stare disbelievingly at his claw, he realized that he had been traveling on all fours. He quickly turned around and his eyes followed the very visible path he had taken to the bathroom. As he walked, he had torn up the floor, leaving deep, long gashes everywhere he had stepped. He attempted to stand on his hind legs to try and minimize the damage he caused while simply walking but hit his head on the low ceiling. Resignedly, he descended from the upstairs bedroom to the roomier ground floor and began pacing the library.

Spike had nearly, and almost literally, dug a rut with his pacing when a memory suddenly came back to him. He slowly climbed back up the steps, carefully bending his knees to avoid another knock against the ceiling as he reached the second floor. He entered the bedroom and frantically searched for some kind of hoard he could have possibly gathered in a greed-induced haze. He found nothing of the sort. Though relieved that his growth was not connected to his practice of greed, Spike still could not explain his transformation. Racking his brain to find any other possible reason, he let out a loud, stressed grunt and, just as before, he let out a large cloud of fire, setting ablaze the decorations that hung around the library.

“Oh no, oh no!” the dragon yelled as he took panicked, shallow breaths, causing small puffs to escape each time he opened his maw. He frantically scanned the room for anything to help put the flame out, eventually falling on a mop and bucket. Fortunately, the metal bucket was strong enough to withstand his new, sharp claws and was still filled with murky water.

However, even after dumping all its contents onto the fire, it still raged and threatened to overtake more of the library. He rushed to the kitchen, filled the pail to the brim, and once again dumped all the water inside onto the flame. The water did virtually nothing and the flames only continued to spread, growing angrier by the second.

“Please… stop already…” Spike whimpered, tears welling in his eyes as he watched the flame jump onto another shelf and some close-by decorations meant to celebrate Twilight’s return. He rushed to and from the kitchen with more pails of water than he could care to count until the flames finally began to shrink. He stared dumbfounded at the charred, soggy mess of what used to be shelves chock-full of books and wet ash that used to be colorful decorations as the final fleck of fire flickered out with a small hiss.

Spike hung his head low after eyeing the ruined remains of the library. He worried about just how he would explain this to the rest of the ponies. No one ever burned down half a library by accident. At least, no pony ever did. Furthermore, he wondered how all his friends would react to his new form. They constantly mentioned how scary the grown dragons were and, though not fully grown, he was plenty scary with his stronger fire breath and razor-sharp claws. Would they run away from him or shun him because of his destructiveness? No, they were too close to him to do either. He trusted them. But could he trust himself?

He had ruined a sink just by leaning on it and burned down half the library by simply breathing. He could not control his new powerful breath and he did not know what to do with his claws to dull them down. Twilight was set to return in a couple of days. He could only imagine what she or the ponies might say about his strange and rapid transformation. He began to dread the thought of him accidentally hurting any of his friends, especially Rarity or Twilight. He was not about to let that happen.

He thought and thought but could only come up with one solution, one that would resolve his fears, but would also mean a big sacrifice on his part. Spike quickly gathered a quill and scroll, although writing a note proved futile; his claws tore the paper to shreds and grasping the quill only sliced it into tiny pieces. It only served as proof that his new grown form would cause problems for everypony, however unintentional. He sighed dishearteningly as he opened the library’s front door. Spike was surprised to find the klutzy Derpy Hooves on the other side of the doorway.

“Hi, Spithe! Hethe’s your mail!” the pegasus said through a mouthful of letters, smiling at the distraught dragon and apparently not even noticing his growth.

He more or less ignored the grey pegasus as he ran off as fast as he could. His destination was the only place that he could think of that suited a dragon: the Everfree Forest.


Rainbow Dash gave a heavy sigh as she yet again arrived at Golden Oaks Library. She rolled her eyes when she thought of how many similar trips Pinkie had already sent her on. Whether it was to add new decorations or replace some that she had brought earlier, Pinkie always gave her the same reason. She wanted everything to be absolutely “superifically funtastic” for Twilight’s return.

“Hey, Spike! Pinkie just sent me over to bring some more stuff for the…” Rainbow Dash paused, her rolling eyes opening wide as she entered the ruined library. “Whoa, what happened here?”

She sifted through the soggy remains of a burnt bookshelf but could find nothing around that would start a fire so destructive. Continuing her investigation, she found the crushed bed of their dragon friend, which only added to her growing list of questions. She followed some claw markings along the floor up the stairs. Finally, her search lead her to bathroom where the sink had deep gashes going down its length.

Suddenly, she put everything together. The burned bookshelf, crushed bed, claw markings... they all led to one memory: Spike’s rampage through Ponyville.

“Uh-oh…” the blue pegasus said to herself as she dropped the party supplies and flew off to warn the rest of her gang.


The first pony that she felt she needed to warn was none other than the dragon’s longtime crush; the pony he had kidnapped during his first little run through Ponyville as a full-fledged dragon. Rainbow Dash burst through the boutique’s second floor window and found her friend going about her normal business of designing new “fabulous” fashion lines.

“Rarity!” Rainbow Dash yelled, causing the dressmaker to jump and scatter her materials about.

“Rainbow Dash!” Rarity said, raising her voice a bit.“You must really learn to knock!”

“There’s no time for that!” she shouted, only to see that her friend had already gone back to work. “RARITY!”

“No, not until you’ve learned how rude it is to barge into someone else’s home,” Rarity sternly told her, turning her back to Rainbow Dash.

“Ugh!” Rainbow Dash groaned, slapping a hoof over her face. With an annoyed look, she flew out of the room’s window and knocked. However when Rarity ignored her, she began knocking much more violently.

“RARITY!” she yelled.

“Yes?” Rarity nonchalantly walked to the window and allowed her to enter.

“Have you seen Spike lately?”

“Why no, I haven’t,” Rarity answered, her voice gaining small tone of concern. “Why do you ask? Did something happen to my Spikey-Wikey?”

“Well, I dunno, but he sure did a number on the library,” Rainbow Dash said, kicking a roll of fabric on the floor next to her.

“Oh no… do you mean?” Rarity said, taken back by a sudden memory.

“Like I said. I. Don’t. Know,” Rainbow Dash replied. “He wasn’t in the library and I haven’t seen him anywhere around Ponyville.”

“We should warn the others.”

“I dunno, Rarity. Wouldn’t it be kinda rude to go bother everypony in their homes?” Rainbow Dash said as sarcastically as she could, earning a death-glare from the dress maker.

“Alright, alright! I suppose I had that coming,” Rarity replied, quickly looking away in shame.

“Then let’s go!” Rainbow Dash told her, knowing that that would be the closest to an apology she would get from the unicorn.


After a small search, the group had finally gathered together, but all claimed that they had seen neither hide nor scale of the missing dragon. Asking the other ponies in town gave the same result. No pony had seen Spike the whole day. With nothing else to go on, the mares gathered at the library, hoping to find some clue of what had happened.

“Maybe Spike didn’t do this!” the ever-imaginative Pinkie Pie said, apparently already having solved the case of the missing dragon. ”Maybe it was some sort of super, gigantic meteor that crashed into the library and kidnapped Spike and took him into space!”

“Well, back in reality…” Rainbow Dash said as she gave up sifting through the wet ash.

“It doesn’t seem like we’re having any luck here, darlings,” Rarity told her friends, falling on her rear.

“And no pony has seen him in Ponyville,” Fluttershy added, her ears drooping.

“I think we’ve hit dead end, y’all,” Applejack concluded as each hung their heads.

A sudden crash through the window startled all the mares. It was none other than local mailpony, Derpy Hooves.

“Doesn’t anypony have the manners to knock anymore?” Rarity muttered under her breath.

“Uh… are you okay, Derpy?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Oh! Hi, Rainbow Dash! I guess Spike still isn’t back yet!” Derpy said, smiling as though her crash landing did not even faze her.

“Are you saying you’ve seen Spikey-wi—I mean, Spike?” Rarity asked the mailpony.

“Mm-hmm,” the grey mare hummed, never once losing her smile. “He looked like he was in a hurry! He didn’t even have time to get his mail from me! Guess he was late to something in the Everfree Forest! He ran all the way there!”

“The Everfree Forest!” the mares all yelled in unison, before quickly heading out the door.

“Maybe there’s some sort of party there… I wanna go to the party too!” Derpy thought out loud as she followed the mares, still totally oblivious to the situation. “WAIT FOR ME, GUYS!”


“One last delivery and I’m done for today!” a blue-hatted pegasus said to himself. Pausing for a second, he produced a small scroll from his rather large saddlebags detailing many names and addresses, most of which were crossed out, except for one at very bottom. “‘To: Spike the Dragon, Golden Oaks Library; From:…’

“Princess Twilight Sparkle! Oh boy, I got to be careful with this one! I didn’t think they’d be testing us this soon!” the beige stallion thought out loud. Lowering the scroll, he saw a flash of bright color send him whirling. Before he was able to regain his bearings, a grey streak sent him into a second uncontrollable spin. Grabbing his head, the pegasus waited for his eyes to return from their thousandth trip around their respective sockets.

“Some ponies just don’t ever watch where they’re going… Well, at least I still have… Oh no…” the stallion desperately rummaged through his saddlebags, trying to find the package. “This isn’t happening, not with this package!”

Looking to the land below, he found that he had been hovering over the Everfree Forest. It was impossible to see through the thicket, and there was no telling where the package could have landed. He concluded that his best bet was to dive straight down and hope that the package did not fall too far from there.


“It’s no use… I can’t see anything from up there!” Rainbow Dash said, frustrated. “And Derpy isn’t helping much either…”

“Looks like we’re just gonna have to hoof it then!” Applejack told the rest of the mares.

“But the Everfree Forest is HUGE! We’ll never find him in there!” Pinkie replied.

“We can’t just leave Spikey-Wikey all alone in that dreadful forest!” Rarity argued. “If we can divide up the forest, I’m sure we would be able to find him.”

“What if we get lost?” Fluttershy said. “It’s already getting dark…”

“Fluttershy has a point there, Rarity,” Applejack interjected as she glanced over at the setting sun. “It’s gettin’ mighty close to sundown. The forest just ain’t safe at night. We should wait until tomorrow, and then we can go in find Spike, first thing in the morning.”

“Do you really think that the kid can hold out until morning by himself?” Rainbow Dash joined in. “Like you said, the forest is dangerous at night. That’s why we’ve gotta find him!”

The friends explosively argued about their next course of action, except for the soft-spoken yellow pegasus, who merely tried her best to keep the peace.


Exhausted, Spike took a seat on large and inviting stump. With nothing better on his mind, he began to reflect on his day since he left the library.

He had been wandering the forest area the whole day, hoping to find some sort of shelter before nightfall. However, most of the caves in the area were already the lairs of adult dragons and they apparently had not learned the virtue of sharing. So he was forced to dwell outside, but, luckily for him, most creatures in the forest had learned to steer clear of dragons, even if not fully grown.

Spike sighed deeply already feeling homesick from the mere thought that he would never see the ponies he called his family again. Thoughts of his friends weighed heavy on his mind to point that he was barely able to keep his head from dropping to the ground below, his eyes gluing themselves to the forest floor. With no idea of his whereabouts, he hoped they would simply forget about him and go back to living their normal lives. Depressing as it was, he convinced himself that it was for the best.

Suddenly, he heard something brushing past the leaves and branches of the nearby trees. He panicked at first, believing that it could have been one of the mares looking for him. But his heart calmed down as he saw a small box plop onto the dirt floor. Curiosity got the better of him as he moved in to examine the package. It was obviously a package meant to be delivered somewhere, with its stereotypical brown wrapping and twine keeping the top in place. However, its trip through the trees had damaged it and even ripped off the tag that would have revealed the sender and the recipient. He reached to grab it but remembered that his new claws would only finish the job the trees had started.

Another rustle of the brush caused the dragon to jump. It did not come from the trees above but from the bushes below. A head suddenly poked out from the leafy mess. Not that of a mare but of a stallion. He did not seem to notice the dragon as he fell, face first, out of the bush.

“Oww…” the stallion said as he picked himself back up, retrieving his hat that had been caught by the prickly vines. “Come on! It has to be around here somewhere!”

Giving the area a quick look over, he found himself being stared down by a dragon. But by the dragon he saw the package he had been looking for. Successfully delivering this royal package was definitely a priority on his list, he could not simply leave it. Swallowing his fear, he approached Spike.

“Uh…” he opened his mouth but found himself at a loss for words. The dragon he saw before him was not an adult, but he did stand just a good head and a half taller than himself.

“Is this—” Spike began, but quickly clamped his over his mouth. The fire that spouted from his mouth as he spoke just barely missed the stallion. “I’m sorr—”

His attempt on an apology backfired as his breath caught the stallion’s hat, setting it aflame. Abandoning his hat, the stallion tried to stomp the fire out, but he was not fast enough to save it. Spike saw the beige stallion mope over the ash and singed cloth that used to be his hat and hung his head ashamed. Stepping aside, he allowed the pegasus to retrieve the package. The sight of the ruined box only served to add to the stallion’s sorrows.

“I can’t deliver it like this!” the light-brown pegasus yelled, nearly tearing out his mane. “I’m sure that 'Spike' will tell the Princess the bad shape that I gave it to him in. Forget the promotion; I might not have a job if I deliver it like this!”

Spike perked up, hearing his name. He could not help but wonder if the package was meant for him. He wanted to ask the pegasus about it, but his breath was still out of control and threatened to scare off the stallion before he could.

“I guess delivering it like this is better than not delivering it at all,” the stallion conceded with a heavy sigh as he picked up the package prepared to take off.

“Wait!” Spike said, causing the stallion to stop in his tracks. Speaking so that his breath went in harmless direction, he proclaimed the stallion, “I’m Spike!”

“You’re Spike?” the stallion said, raising a suspicious eyebrow. There was no evidence proving or disproving his claim. “Okay, so if you are Spike, where do you live?”

“I live—” the purple dragon started, but paused as he remembered his recent decision. “I used to live at the Golden Oaks Library…”

“Well,” the stallion said as he double-checked his list, ”I guess this belongs to you then.”

He held the package out to the troubled dragon, but the dragon did not accept, opting to keep his gaze on the forest floor instead. The stallion stood there awkwardly holding the box in silence, noting the dragon’s forlorn facial expression and his low-hanging head. His job never included “consoling dragons,” but not only was his conscience egging him to do something, it meant also delivering this package upon which his job quite possibly rode.

“Uh… what do you mean used to?” he asked.

“I’m… I was Twilight Sparkle’s assistant and I was a baby dragon. After Twilight’s coronation, Princess Celestia asked her to stay for a little while. I wanted to help Twilight, but I never really liked staying in Canterlot. I never had a whole lot of friends there,” Spike told him, keeping his volume barely audible. “Twilight told me it was okay if I came back to Ponyville. It was all going good too! I was doing all my chores and even got used to being the librarian, even though that was always more her thing. But, then today, I woke up… like this,” he said, motioning to his body.

“Well… I guess that explains why you were getting a package from Princess Twilight Sparkle,” the stallion responded.

“That’s from Twilight?” the dragon asked.

“Yeah… here,” the pegasus answered, once again trying to hand him the package. Spike reached for the package, but quickly withdrew his claws. This confused the stallion, but he understood when the dragon demonstrated the keenness of his claws on a nearby tree.. “Oh… I’ll get that for you.”

Tossing the top away, it revealed a few rather large gems and some mirror-like crystals along with a note underneath them all. Clearing his throat, the stallion began reading the note out loud:

“‘Dear Spike,

“‘I’ve been hearing nothing but good things from everyone in Ponyville. They said that the library’s running smoothly without me and the girls have been telling how you even had some extra time to help them out. I know that you stayed in Ponyville because you didn’t really like it here in Canterlot and trust me, this Princess stuff isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. I’m sure you would have bored out of your mind if you had stayed with me. It’s a bunch of paperwork and hoof-shaking. I do miss having my number one assistant around, but I just wanted to tell you that I’m proud of you for all the hard work you’ve been putting in while I’m gone. I could never ask for a better assistant and friend. I can’t wait to see you all in a couple of days. You know, unless this courier service isn’t what it’s cracked up to be and you get this package after I get back home.

“‘Love,

“‘Twilight Sparkle

“‘P.S.: I got my hooves on a couple of crystals that they’ve been finding in the caverns underneath Canterlot. I hope they taste as good as the gems! Thought you deserved a little treat for all your hard work.

“Hey! We couriers are the fastest mail service around! GUARANTEED next day delivery!” the stallion snapped, then quickly regained his composure after remembering who had written the letter. “Anyways, sounds like you guys are really close friends. Why’d you run away?”

“We are really close, we’re like family! That’s why I ran away, I didn’t want to hurt anypony,” Spike replied, feeling even more distraught after hearing the letter from his friend. “Like I almost hurt you.”

“But… she’s an alicorn, right? There has to be something she can do to fix this,” the pegasus told him.

“If there’s one thing she knows, it’s magic,” Spike admitted.

“There you go!” the stallion replied. “I’m sure that you can find a way to not hurt anypony while you guys figure out how to get you back to normal. I mean, I’m okay, aren’t I? My hat might not be, but I can always get another one of those.”

“Yeah, you’re right!” he said with newfound vigor. ”I think I should head back, Rarity and the others are probably looking for me.” The dragon turned his head every which way, realizing he no longer knew which way was home anymore. “I could use some help finding my way back, if you don’t mind.”

“Well, this was my last delivery. I guess I can stick around a bit,” the pegasus said, flying up to get a bearing of the town’s location. “It’s that way!”

“By the way, I’ve never seen you in Ponyville before,” Spike commented. “And I don’t even know your name.”

“It’s not really a surprise; I’m actually from Cloudsdale,” the stallion told him, taking the lead. “My name’s Cloud Slider. Y'know, I’ve never met a real life dragon before, kind of cool actually. I mean, I heard a lot about dragons from a pony that I help deliver supplies to. He wants to be the first pony to write a book about dragons! He’s been studying them for over a year now, and he’s learned a hay of a lot. He could really talk your ear off.”


As the unusual duo neared the edge of the forest, they heard the loud chatter of multiple mares. It had appeared that they had been in a deadlock for quite a while. One side realizing the danger the Everfree Forest posed at night and the other wanting to go in anyways and split up, the only possible way they would have any luck of finding the dragon in the dense forest. A smile began to spread across Spike’s face, tears welling up in his eyes, as he heard the lengths his friends were willing to go to find him, especially from Rarity who seemed almost determined to proceed on her own if need be.

“Guess this is your stop, Spike,” Cloud Slider said, overhearing the mares calling the dragon’s name.

“Thanks, Cloud Slider!” Spike replied.

“It’s… been definitely the most interesting delivery I’ve had,” he told him. “Good luck with getting back to normal!”

The beige pegasus took to the air but almost immediately turned back, a final thought nagging at him from the back of his mind. “Actually, can I ask you a favor? You see the mail service might ask you for feedback on my delivery. If you could just…”

“It’s the least I can do,” Spike cut him off.

“You don’t even know how much this means to me. Thanks, Spike,” the pegasus said as his wings gave a quick flutter. Holding out his hoof, the dragon greeted it with his knuckles.

With that, the stallion took off. Spike prepared himself to approach the mares with a deep breath. He was not sure what their reaction would be, but he hoped that their longstanding friendship would mean acceptance of his new form.

“Hey, look! It’s Spike!” Derpy announced, waving at the incoming dragon. “Hi, Spike!”

“Spike?” the arguing mares stopped and turned their heads. They expected the baby dragon that they always knew, but the long, slim, and noticeably more reptilian creature coming towards them had each of them slack-jawed. The only things they could really recognize were the purple scales and the trail of green spines that ran down from his head to his tail. Even his gait was different, now traveling on all fours rather than his usual upright posture.

“Spike…?” they asked, taking extra caution in approaching him.

“Yeah,” Spike answered, making sure to face away from them while he spoke. The sudden and bright emerald flame startled the mares as they took a step back.

“What happened to you, Spike?” Rarity was the first to ask what was on each of their minds.

“I don’t know,” the dragon admitted. “I just… woke up and I was already big.”

The mare carefully observed the dragon, but soon saw that they had nothing to fear. He did not act as he did during his rampage. He was tame and even perhaps a little saddened.

“Well, don’tcha fret none, Spike,” Applejack reassured him. “Twilight will be back in a few days, then we can go over to Zecora’s and together they can get ya back to normal.”

“I dunno… I kind of like Spike better this way!” Rainbow Dash added, giving the dragon a noogie. “He looks more like a real dragon, definitely a lot cooler than before!”

“Yeah! He used to be able to ride us, now it’s our turn to ride him!” Pinkie Pie laughed, climbing on top of the dragon. “Even Fluttershy isn’t scared of Spike!”

“Well, he’s still the little Spike I know… just bigger…” Fluttershy said as she joined the rest of the mares around Spike.

“Oh, Spike!” Derpy called out before reaching into her saddlebag. “Here, you forgot your mail this morning!”

Spike waved his arms to warn the grey pegasus not to hand him the batch of letters. However, she simply ignored them and impaled them on one of his claws. He looked with half-lidded eyes at the ruined letters and then back at the bubbly mare, who merely considered her job done and took her leave.

Even as he heard the mares laugh, Spike felt as if almost all the stress that been building up since he had left the library was lifted right off his shoulders. However, as he looked at Rarity, a last thought crossed his mind; Did he really want to go back to “normal?”