• Published 4th Mar 2015
  • 9,496 Views, 213 Comments

Dream come true? - Storm Shine



HiE fic. A rather average brony known as John has been kidnapped and injected with odd powers, before being launched into Equestria. What will he do now that he's in the land of ponies? (Somewhat inspired by the 'Power Lottery')

  • ...
17
 213
 9,496

Ch 1: The Beginning

Well isn't this great...

Hi there, my name is John and right now I'm sitting in the back of a vehicle with a bag over my head. I guess I'm being kidnapped, though I don't know who's doing this or why. I'm also not sure why I'm so calm about this, generally when someone's kidnapped you'd think they'd freak out or something. But I guess I should back up a bit and explain how I got myself kidnapped in the first place, huh? It's not a very long story, and I'm surprised it even happened at all.

I'm just your average human with a simple job and a simple home. I had just finished walking home from work and was planning to go inside to spend the rest of the day chatting on my usual forums and watching a few of my favorite episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic before bed.

Unfortunately that plan was smashed to pieces since when I went to open the door to my house; someone came up behind me and smashed a piece of wood over the back of my head. Naturally I was surprised and in pain but thankfully I have a pretty hard head, so I managed to stay conscious. I turned to confront the guy who had done that, ready to punch his lights out.

I might've succeeded too, if he didn't have a partner. Especially since that partner had a taser. Electrified metal prongs? Not fun, not fun at all.

So by now we've left the vehicle and they've been walking me to who knows where for the past few minutes. I'm curious as to where we're going, yet I'm not sure I really want to know. Especially since I have no idea what the heck they want with me. Though if it's a ransom they want, they're going to be severely disappointed.

Finally after what seems like forever we stop and they make me lie down on some sort of metal bed or table or something before strapping me in.

The bag was then taken off my head, allowing me to see that I'm lying in what looks like futuristic lab... And there's some guy in a lab coat standing in front of me.

"Hello there John." He greets me, smiling widely.

"Who are you? Where am I? How do you know my name?" I ask, feeling more than a bit helpless. I think I'm going to call the guy 'Labcoat', I know it's a bit generic and vague but it seems to fit him.

Labcoat chuckled at me, "That's not really important John, or at least not important to you." He says, freeing my right arm before strapping it into some weird device. "What's really important is what is going to happen to you next."

Well if that wasn't ominous as hell...

"You see, my boss has selected you for a very special privilege!" Labcoat informs me, clapping his hands together in glee. "You are going to receive three powers, and then we'll be launching you into a brand new world! What you choose to do with these powers is completely up to you though we'll be keeping tabs on you. We need to monitor how they develop after all."

Yeah, by now I'm pretty convinced that Labcoat over there is crazy. I mean come on, powers? A new world? Can someone say Cuckoo? "Why- AAGGHHH!!!"

My question was cut off before I could really begin as a wave of agony surged through my right arm. It felt like someone had dipped it in molten metal, and unfortunately that feeling was quickly spreading to the rest of my body.

"Yes the process does hurt quite a bit, sorry about that." Labcoat tells me, not sounding sorry at all.

My vision was beginning to go dark, but I heard before succumbing to the darkness attempting to swallow my sight.

"When you wake up, check your pockets for a piece of paper. It will give you an idea of your new capabilities."


"GAH!" I woke up with a jolt. Was that just a dream? No it couldn't have been... Well, regardless I roll over on the grass and attempt to- wait.... Grass?

I stood up and looked around, taking stock of my surroundings. I seemed to be in a forest clearing, the only other thing in the clearing at the moment was a small shrub that almost reached my waist.

Though that's not very impressive given my height, I'm only about 5 feet and 8 inches after all. I'm a skinny Caucasian male with a fair amount of muscle, a swimmer's build I guess... Oh and I have dirty blonde hair, somewhat shaggy but still fairly neat. The bangs would cover my forehead if it wasn't for the cowlick at their base. My eyes have always been a bit odd though, with blue, green, brown, and gold all present in the iris. a ring of green, followed by a ring of blue, with splotches of brown, and webs of gold running all over the place.

Okay getting off track here... I wonder where I am. Maybe I could walk around to see if I could find a town or city. I had to abandon my musings as a voice called through the trees with a distinctly country accent.

"Hello? Anypony there?" It called.

The voice sounded very young, like a child... Maybe I'm in someone's yard?

"Yeah!" I called back, deciding it probably wouldn't hurt anything. "Can you help me out here? I'm a little lost!" I just hope whoever it is isn't lost too. That would suck, though I guess it would be nice to have some company at the very least.

A few of the bushes at the end of the clearing began to rustle before a yellow... pony? A small pony with a yellow coat and red mane walked into the clearing. I was somewhat confused, until it opened its mouth and began to talk.

"Huh, I coulda sworn ah heard somepony calling out from here..." She said, apparently talking to herself.

Many things were racing through my mind at that moment, but a few were the most prevalent. Mostly things like 'Labcoat wasn't crazy...', 'I'm in a new world', and 'holy crap this is Equestria!'

This is awesome! I'm in Equestria! So I guess that must be Apple Bloom. I should introduce myself. Though I'd better avoid using her name right off the bat, that would probably lead to some awkward questions that could make me seem like a stalker or something.

The filly looked around the clearing before turning around, obviously intending to leave.

"Wait!" I called, hoping she would stop and let me ask a few questions. Apple Bloom indeed stopped and turned back to look at me. At least, I thought she was looking at me.

"W-who's there?" she asked nervously, her eyes darting around the clearing.

Okay, now I'm seriously confused. Why can't she see me? I'm standing at least twice as tall as the shrub in front of me... I walked around the shrub and stopped a few feet away from the little earth pony, hoping that would draw her attention to me. "Hello." I greet the filly.

Apple Bloom looks at me with wide eyes, "W-what are you!? And where'd you come from!? You weren't there just a minute ago!" she asked nervously, taking a few steps back and seeming to shiver slightly.

"I've been standing behind that bush since you walked into the clearing..." I told her softly. I slowly kneeled down, hoping to ease some of Apple Bloom's obvious discomfort by making myself seem a bit smaller. I've made myself easier to hit at the very least.

"My name is John and I'm a human, nice to meet you." I introduce, holding out my hand to shake.

You know... I probably would've thought that all of this was a dream if it wasn't for the fact that I haven't actually had one in years.

The filly carefully reaches out her hoof and puts it in my hand, performing a hoof-shake.

"Your name sounds silly Mr. John." The pony replied with a small giggle, visibly relaxing. "Ah'm Apple Bloom." she introduced as the hand- er... Hoof-shake ended. "Wait a minute... There's no way that you could've been standing behind that bush, you're way too big!" Bloom realized, animatedly indicating the bush that's about half my height.

I simply shrugged and walked to stand behind the shrub again, causing Apple Bloom's mouth to drop open. "Mr. John?" she asked, "Where'd ya go?" I chuckled, causing her to jump before walking to stand in front of her again. "I was standing behind the bush." I told her "And you can just call me John, no 'Mr.' needed."

The filly picked her jaw off the ground before tackling me to the ground, "that was awesome John!" she cheered excitedly. "How'd ya disappear like that!?" she asked.

I scratched my head, "I don't know..." I told her, because to be completely honest, I didn't know. Heck I didn't even know that I had disappeared in the first place. Wait... Labcoat said something about giving me powers. So I guess I have superpowers or something now? I also remember that he told me to check my pockets too, something about an explanation.

But before I could check, Apple Bloom began pulling me along by the legs of my pants. "Well maybe Twilight can help ya figure it out!" she exclaimed, leading me through the trees. "She's really smart!"

I followed the earth filly with a friendly smile, "I'm sure she is." I agreed. Being a Brony, I already knew that she was indeed a very smart pony. Though I can only hope that she could help me figure something out for this. Though I think I'll just ask for help with controlling my new powers, since I honestly don't care much about going back to my world; I am living just about every brony's dream after all.

As we walked I reached a hand into my left pocket. Nothing. I reached into my right pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. Straightening it out, I began to read while following Apple Bloom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear John,

If you are reading this, then you've awoken in the alternate dimension that you were sent to. On this piece of paper are the names of your new powers and a few suggestions as to how you can use them, as well as a couple of their weaknesses.

1. Hide-Behind Physiology:

You can use traits of a creature called the 'Hide-behind'. This allows you to become either invisible or unnoticeable when hiding behind an object or creature, regardless of size or shape. Your physical strength will also be enhanced by this ability.

One 'weakness' is that you will likely develop an aversion to alcohol. The other is that you can only become invisible or unnoticeable when actually behind an object or creature of some sort. You cannot 'Hide-Behind' what isn't there, after all.

2. Cheshire Cat Physiology:

I'm sure you've seen the Cheshire Cat from Alice in wonderland.

This power allows you much the same things: Healing, Evaporation, Shape-shifting, invisibility, intangibility, the ability to walk/float on air. This also gives you some aspects of feline physiology meaning you'll probably receive night vision, retractable claws, predator Instinct, stealth tactics, and enhanced physical attributes such as: agility, balance, jaw strength, flexibility, jump, senses, speed, and strength.

This ability may also change your personality slightly, making you more prone to mischievous thoughts and actions.

3. Absolute Thievery:

I was quite surprised to find that you had received this one. With this ability you will be able to fit into spaces you would usually be unable to physically fit into. You are also able to hide in the shadows, or possibly even in plain sight. You can quite literally steal anything: Objects whether they be tangible or intangible, concepts, landmarks, ideas, powers, rules, laws, physics, time, space, and even yourself; Just about anything and everything is yours for the taking with this power.

Anti-theft wards or powers have no effect on you. You can even steal something without having to actually be present at the location The only true limitation for this power is that you cannot steal from an individual who possesses the abilities of 'Omni-lock' or 'Omniscience'. You may also be susceptible to meta-power manipulation but I doubt any being in your current dimension has a powerful enough version of that ability to actually affect this power.

Side Note: As a side effect of having and/or using this power, you will likely find yourself becoming greedier and greedier over time. This is due to the power making you a literal embodiment of Greed. I'm sure you could control it if you try, but please do be careful either way. After all, I would simply hate for our Boss's investments to go to waste.

I hope you enjoy your newfound powers,
Doctor Labcoat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never thought his name would actually be Labcoat...

"John!" Bloom interrupted my thoughts, knocking a hoof to my forehead after having somehow climbed onto my shoulders while I was thinking. "We're here!" she told me, jumping to the ground and knocking on the door to the library.

The door opened relatively quickly, which makes sense. Twilight always seemed very punctual on the show after all. "Hello Apple Bloom, how can I help you?" she asked, not noticing me standing behind the filly.

I quickly shoved the piece of paper back into my right pocket after ripping off the part about 'Absolute Thievery' and putting that into the one on my left. I doubt a power like that would help me gain any trust in this new world, even if the ability was forced on me... Here's hoping I don't have to worry too much about it acting up or anything.

"Actually I don't really need any help, my friend here does," Apple Bloom replied, pointing at me.

Twilight looks behind the filly, seeming to look right through me. "Um," — her ears pull back and she raises a brow. — "Your, uh... Imaginary friend?" Twilight asked skeptically.

"He's not imaginary!" Apple Bloom exclaimed, stamping a hoof. "His name is John and he's standing right behind me, how can you not see him!?" The purple unicorn smiles patiently at the filly.

"I'm sure that John is a very nice pony Apple Bloom. In fact, why don't I just say hello?" Twilight told Apple Bloom, obviously not believing her. She then looks above her head, directly at me and asks, "Hello John, how are you today?"

"I'm doing well Twilight, if a bit disoriented. How are you doing?" I replied politely, causing Twilight to jump as if struck by lightning.

"AAH~!" she screamed, looking around frantically "Who said that!?"

Bloom grinned, "Ah already told ya, his name's John. Ah found him when I was walkin' through the orchard. We were hoping you could help him out a bit."

Twilight looked at the filly again, raising a brow. "Sooo..." -The unicorn began, stretching the word out.-"Where is he?" the unicorn asked.

"Ah told you he's right there!" Apple Bloom responded, pointing at me again.

"I don't see him..." Twilight replied, sounding a little annoyed.

I shook my head and spoke up, stepping to the side of Apple Bloom, "Hello Twilight, my name is John. I'm hoping you can help me with a small problem..."

Twilight's jaw dropped upon seeing me. She quickly recovered and pulled me and Apple Bloom into the library with her magic, closing the door behind us.

While she was dragging us along, I felt something odd. It felt like I was eating something, but not physically. Weird...

Twilight set me down in a chair, sitting on another one across from me. "What are you?" she asked seriously, already making observations and inferences in her head.

I chuckled a bit since I had seen this kind of situation in fanfiction so many times, but never imagined I'd find myself in it. "I'm known as a human Twilight; my kind isn't exactly native to Equestria." I tell her, seeing no real reason to hide the truth.

Twilight nods as she takes noted with her magic. "So how did you get to Equestria? And why couldn't I see you behind Apple Bloom?" she questioned, motioning towards the filly who had followed us into the library.

"That's kinda... complicated." I answer, scratching my neck. "How can I put this... I'm from another dimension. I was kidnapped by someone and sent to this dimension."

Twilight raised a brow, seeming a bit suspicious of the reasons behind that, "Why?"

I shrugged, "No idea"

She shook her head, not sure what to make of it. "Alright so that explains how you got here I suppose... But why couldn't I see you behind Apple Bloom?" Twilight asked, waving a hoof to indicate the earth filly.

I sighed, "Do you know what a Hide-behind is?" I asked.

"Yes I do, I think there's a few in the Everfree forest... What does that have to do with anything?" she replied, a bit puzzled by the sudden question.

I handed Twilight the piece of the paper that explained about the hide-behind and Cheshire cat physiologies.... "These are some of the powers that were forcefully injected into me" I explained as she read the note.

Twilight's muzzle scrunched up adorably as she read the paper. She hummed in thought for a second, before suddenly chucking several books at me. Caught off-guard I yelped and threw my arms up, hoping that the books wouldn't hurt me. As I thought that, I felt an odd sensation spread through my body before hearing several thuds behind me.

Carefully I opened my eyes and looked around, noticing that the books had impacted the wall behind me. "What was that for!?" I cried out, feeling alarmed at her sudden attack and wondering why exactly Twilight had decided to throw books at me.

Instead of responding to the question she simply took her quill the paper and made a mark, "Intangibility, Check!" she narrated happily.

I face-palmed at that, of course she would begin experimenting right away; she is Twilight Sparkle after all...

Author's Note:

Welpy-delpy-doo, there's my first chapter for you. Tell me what you think, good? Bad? maybe help a beginning author with a bit of constructive criticism please?