• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,776 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,776

17 - Sun Burn

Silver appeared in a flash of golden light. Celestia loomed over him. "Do you have any idea how difficult it is to plan for each pony's destiny?" she asked in that soft maternal voice, though it was tainted with a subtle anger.

Silver looked around, it was dark all around them. "Every pony," continued Celestia, "Has a destiny, laid out clearly for all to see."

A dizzying array of cutie marks began to appear and vanish around the two as Celestia stepped closer, "And you interfered with one. What gives you the right, alien, to corrupt my little ponies?"

Silver thought quickly, but went around in circles, "I, what? You mean Soft Blush? When did you start ma--"

"Silence!" ordered Celestia with a scowl. She brought down a golden-clad hoof and it broke the void, depositing them into the royal garden. "What gave you the right? That is the question."

Silver shrank a little, "Nothing?"

Celestia smiled at him, "On this we agree." She reached forward a hoof, raising Silver's sunken chin to face her, "You want to be a good pony?"

Silver nodded faintly, trembling with fear of the immortal pony princess.

"Then accept your fate," she spoke gently. A searing pain suddenly erupted through Silver's flanks, burning as if to the bone. He screamed wordlessly and collapsed to the ground. He could see his flank and the manacle that hung around the sheep that was drawn on it.

"What does it mean?" he asked, fearing what he assumed it meant.

"Is it not obvious?" asked Celestia. "You are our slave, forever. When we tire of you, we will throw you away, like the garbage you are."

She began to laugh as Silver crawled back to his hooves, frightened and confused. Suddenly Celestia popped like a dirty soap bubble, and silence reigned in her stead. Silver tilted his head a little. "Uh... hello?"

"Hello," spoke a new voice. Luna. She descended from above and landed on the spot Celestia once stood. "Do you look upon my sister with such fear truly?"

Silver glanced away, then back at Luna, "I can't say I'm not happy to see you. That was a dream? It was so intense."

Luna nodded gently, "It was a nightmare, and I have banished it." She raised a hoof to point, "Do you fear Celestia? Do you fear being owned?"

Silver glanced back at his flank, where the hateful mark remained, "I... yes. You've been supportive, but Celestia follows her people, and her people don't seem to like me much. If they ask for something terrible to happen to me, I'm not sure she'd say no." He sank, belly to grass. "I didn't want to chase Carrot Plate. It made nothing but trouble trying to go after her."

Luna gave a slow huff as her wings ruffled up, "We agree that the trial was a farce of the highest order." She paused a moment, then looked at Silver anew, "I will ask you something. You do not have to agree. Few ponies have, and I will not think less of you if you are one of the many who decide against."

"What is that?" asked Silver with a tilt of his head.

"I would know more of you. Give consent and I will lay your sleeping mind open." Luna gestured with a hoof in a circular fashion, "You will be naked before me in the truest sense, and I will know, without doubt, what the truth is."

Silver made a bit of a face, "I'm not afraid of what you'd see, here, in Equestria, but I was a pretty strange person back home, and I'm not sure I want any...pony... to see that."

Luna raised a brow, "Were you an outlaw? Do you flee the law of your land?"

Silver shook his head quickly, "No! I was actually pretty bland, in what I did, but my thoughts were..." He struggled for a word. "Tawdry? Debased. Perverse. I don't want to sully you with them."

Luna moved up and tapped him on the nose with her hoof, "You forget what I have already seen. I sincerely doubt you have anything in your mind that could challenge what I have already witnessed since I took on the role of warden of dreams. Your concern is admirable, but misplaced. You simply need have faith in my abilities." Luna raised a brow, "If you were so perverse, why choose the..." Her expression darkened into a scowl, "Do you hunt for the company of foals?"

Silver scrambled back away from her fury, "No! No no! I've had plenty of chances and haven't acted on one of them, honest... You... can we switch topics a little?"

Luna raised a brow, calming slightly, "What weighs on you?"

Silver reached up a hoof to point at his muzzle, "When I am around females, they have a very intense scent. All of them. Every single one. Is that normal? Is that what stallions just deal with?"

Luna looked perplexed, "Is it an offensive odor?"

Silver shook his head, "Attractive, wonderful... If it wasn't a weird thing to do, I'd just park myself next to one and breathe her scent all day long."

Luna snorted softly, "We do not think that is normal." She raised a hoof, "It is all the more important that you agree to be examined. Even in Celestia's debased court, my word will carry more weight if I have seen your exposed soul spread before me. Perhaps justice could be done."

Silver did not look convinced, shuffling in place. Luna switched topics, "We have been informed your possessions are recovered and functioning. May we visit to witness them?"

Silver blinked and nodded quickly, "Of course. I mean, I guess... it's all technically yours now."

Luna smiled gently, "They are, but we are not cruel. It was yours first. Open the door."

Silver suddenly came awake in his bed and heard a gentle tapping at the front door. He slid from bed and trotted over to answer it. He opened it with his magic to reveal Luna, who stepped inside immediately.

"Were you waiting just outside this whole time?" asked Silver as he closed the door and moved for the computer.

"Nay, we can teleport," said Luna as she followed him, but then moved past him when her eyes settled on the functional and activated computer. "What manner of magic is this?"

Silver hopped up into his chair and considered what to show Luna. He really wasn't sure until a flash of inspiration hit and he went to his folders and pulled up some images. "Here is my rendition of the Moon Princess."

Luna tilted her head at the picture, "That is not me."

Silver nodded, "It was made up for a fictional world, which had a moon princess. She's kind of like you. She guards the night and dreams of her people."

Luna sat next to Silver, "What else does it do, besides display drawings?"

Silver summoned up some adventurous-sounding symphonic music to Luna's amusement. She clapped her hooves, "It's like a phonograph, but we see no record. We were told it also plays games?"

Rather than pull up any games, Silver instead brought up a word processor, and showed how he could type by writing the words even as he spoke them, "It can also track words and you can go back and edit them on the fly." He erased 'fly' and put 'sky'. "When it's working properly, the computer can share everything it has with any other computer, allowing people to collaborate from across the world."

Luna nodded before she extended a wing over the computer, "We wish to examine this at our leisure. We will take it."

Silver winced a little. His computer addiction had fallen quite a few pegs during his time in Equestria, but losing it again had a bit of a sting. Still... "I suppose that is your right."

Luna punched him in the shoulder, making him shrink away. "You are too passive. I favored you more when you stood up to me and spoke your mind clearly."

Silver's ears folded back, "Maybe it's this pony body... I got hit with music magic today."

Luna tilted her head, "What?"

Silver blinked, "Music magic? I started singing on the way home, even hopped on a skateboard and did a few tricks. It was scary as heck."

Luna shook her head then, "We know not of what you speak."

Of course... The ponies didn't perceive the music magic. "Nevermind."

Luna offered a hoof, "Do we still smell good?"

That was a blunt and awkward question, but Silver nodded anyway, "Yes. All mares."

Luna shoved her fetlock right up to Silver's snout, "Breathe."

This was becoming more confusing by the moment for Silver, but he did as he was bade and began breathing the scent. His worries started to melt away as comfort and warmth filled his body. His eyelids drooped to half-shut as he started sniffing eagerly, consuming that delightful aroma. Nothing seemed to matter much other than staying close to Luna.

Luna spoke in slow tones, "Do you agree to let me inspect you, exposing your mind and soul to my full examination?"

"Sure," said Silver, "If that's what you want."

Luna nodded, "We hope you will remember this, but we do it for your own good. Justice will be had, and your attacker will be brought to task for their crimes. You are ours, little pony."

"I am yours," spoke Silver. He looked up at her, "Am I a good little pony?"

Luna nodded slowly, "Yes. We hope you will forgive us in time."

Silver's fogged memory couldn't fathom what Luna had done that would require forgiveness. She was a perfectly lovely mare. Who could possibly even imagine being angry with her? He nuzzled the fetlock still held in front of him, and his eyes drifted shut.

Luna let out a bit of a sigh, "This is not the proper way, but justice will be done."

Author's Note:

Bad dreams and a moon princess angered at a corrupt system. Surely this will end well!

The typos are not calmed by Luna's scent.