• Published 10th May 2012
  • 39,862 Views, 1,738 Comments

All-American Girl - Shinzakura



A pony raised amongst humans finds out about her birth mother - Rarity.

  • ...
151
 1,738
 39,862

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Sixteen: Living Inside the Shell

It had been, thankfully, a miracle that Lyra had stayed over, Cadance thought in hindsight. Between Duskie crying at three in the morning and the news they’d received earlier that evening…it had taken a lot out of her. She’d informed both Luna and Celestia via private message of the horrific news, but it hadn’t really processed in her mind. No, that took shortly after Lyra had heroically managed to get Duskie to go back to sleep and the two exhausted mares could look at each other and just let the tears flow.

Now, the two sat in Cadance’s kitchen. The alicorn had given the housekeeping staff the day off; she couldn’t stand the crowding of the maids and butlers at the moment. Across from her, Lyra poured another cup of coffee, the look in her eyes empty. Like the celeste unicorn, Apple Cobbler had not originally been a diplomat, but had become one due to their respective outstanding skills and respect by the human community; it was only natural that Lyra and AC had become friends.

“She’s gone,” Lyra said, dully, unsure of what else to say. “All those times she and Antiquity invited us up to New York to visit, but I never had the time, and now….”

“It wasn’t your fault,” Cadance said, her voice nearly cadaverous. She felt the guilt and emptiness as well. But there was too much now that had to be done, too much to prepare for as Equestria began to shift towards a war footing. The proof and been indelible: elite Iranian combat forces had succeeded in destroying the hotel where the summit was taking place, then murdered the joint security forces before getting into a pitched gun battle with Belgian commandos. But by that point, the damage had been done: diplomats from several countries had been lost, and in that loss was one of their own: Clockwork Cog, in disguise as a Dutch diplomat.

Conflict was now inevitable.

“Are you nervous about this?” DJ asked. At the moment, she’d put on a nice dress and had the boys wear long sleeve oxfords and slacks. She had to look good today, probably better than she normally carried herself. Normally, she really didn’t worry much about her looks – she was happily married and was a down-to-earth kinda gal – but today was special, and so she’d do it for him.

As for Mike, he currently stood there in his dress blues, nervous about everything. He’d been very lucky that Sweetie Belle had joined them for breakfast that morning; not only was she able to magic up the sea service version of the O-5 oak leaves, but thanks to the sewing skills she’d learned from Rarity when she was younger – and something she’d teased DJ about briefly – she’d made him a full set of Commander’s uniforms. Now if he could only calm the butterflies in his stomach.

So the family went, headed towards the US embassy and specifically General Bryson’s office. While Mike had made an aside comment that he’d wished his parents were here to see it, both Matt and Anna assured him that they’d get everything on video for Carl and Lila. In Mike’s opinion, that sealed his fate; after this, he’d have to accept Bryson’s offer for a command and then probably start that soon after. He hoped the post-ceremony briefing would be short, because today of all days, she was going to him, more than ever.

This morning, she was here for him, to watch him reach command level. This afternoon, he’d return the favor – not that favors were being counted – and back her up for what she probably considered the challenge of her life.

“Bro, relax,” Sam, carrying the videocam, said with a grin. “You’ve done this kinda stuff before, right?”

“Something like that,” Mike explained. “But nothing like this.”

Turning to look at her brother, DJ said, “Ignore the contradiction. He’s just a little nervous.” Tapping her husband on the shoulder, she then added, “You’ll be fine, hon. Besides, you can’t embarrass yourself too much….” She added a mischievous grin to punctuate that, and Mike couldn’t help but smile – DJ was, if nothing else, her usual impish self.

He checked his ribbons and uniform for the last time and she gave him a faux-irritated look. “Mike, I swear, if you die of a heart attack because you’re in panic mode, I’m going to kill you.”

“Uh, won’t I be dead?”

“Fine – I’ll find someone here who can bring you back to life just so I can kill you,” she nickered. He chuckled at that and she leaned up to give him a kiss on the cheek, her goal met. “Now go in there and show them how it’s done.”


Onto the grounds of the embassy he walked, taking the time to return the salutes of the Marine guards and various other military personnel attached to the military liaison division. As he walked onto the fourth floor, where the division had its offices, Bryson’s secretary – an Army sergeant – saw him and said, “Good morning, Commander. The General has been expecting you, so please go ahead on in.” Nodding slightly, Mike then entered the office with the rest.

“Commander – good of you to join us,” Bryson said, rising from his seat. “And you must be DJ,” he said with a smile. “I’ve heard a lot of things about you, all exotic and beauteous,” causing her to blush. “And well, since your family’s here, Mike, shall we get this going?” the senior officer asked.

The ceremony was quick yet solemn, with Mike rereading his oath of allegiance, followed by DJ pinning on his oak-leaf clusters, and some family pictures of the newly-minted command officer. Sam made sure he got everything on camera for Mike’s parents and offered to email them the link to the upload as soon as he got a chance to do so. Finally, when the dust settled down, Sam had to depart for the next part of his lecture with the Canterlot Sheriff’s Office and things wound down, the others left, and Mike was alone with Bryson.

“So, give any thought to the offer, Mike?” the general asked.

Before Mike could answer, however, Bryson’s secretary poked her head in. “General Spitfire is here to see you, sir,” she said.

“Please have her come in,” he answered. Less than a minute later, two ponies walked in, as per what seemed to be a modern military tradition for the Equestriani armed forces, upright on the hind legs. The first one wore the uniform of an REA major, and from what little Mike knew about Equestriani Army soldiers, the mud-brown earth pony stallion with the moss green mane had the look of infantry on him. But it was the mare that he was surprised to see here. She was attired in the REAF dress uniform, which was based on the USAF’s one. The goldenrod and orange pegasus mare’s uniform also had a golden fourragere, signifying that she was someone significant.

“Folks, this is Commander Michael Hengst, the prospective CO for CSAU.” The general said a word that sounded similar to see-saw, which piqued the naval officer’s interest. Continuing, Bryson said, “Mike, this is General Spitfire, the acting Minister of Defense. And you are, Major?” the general asked.

“Major Sable Loam, 146th Special Infantry Battalion,” the stallion said with a smile. “I’ve been selected to be CSAU’s executive officer, so the unit can have somepony with local expertise.”

“CSAU?” Mike asked. It was the first time the unit had been brought up by name, though the details had yet to be explained. That, however, he was sure was about to change.

“Combined Special Augmentation Unit, or CSAU,” Spitfire explained. “It’s an operational unit that will be under the command of NATO’s Joint Force Command, Canterlot.”

Bryson almost looked giddy as he said, “When you were a kid, Mike, did you ever play with GI JOEs? I did, way back in the ‘80s. And then in 2010, some idiot took the idea and made a shitty film featuring soldiers from around the world. So, think of it this way: you’re now in charge of GI JOE, only without the cool name, the bad plot and the really hot-looking redhead in the film.”

Spitfire ignored the aside and continued. “This has been something that has been in the works for some time, and while we’d still planned to have it cook a little longer, the current situation doesn’t give us the luxury of waiting. CSAU will be a specialized NATO unit that’s tasked with helping us against traditionally non-human threats.”

“You mean our job is to fight changelings,” Mike stated.

“Not just changelings,” Sable commented. “There are other threats that a human perspective could change the balance in, some of which could eventually pose a threat to Human-Earth if not stopped here.”

“Like what?”

“Werewolves,” the major said coolly. Both Bryson and Mike looked oddly at the stallion before the latter broke out into a grin. “Sorry, couldn’t help that – made a joke based on my unit’s nickname. But in all seriousness, just because changelings are the largest independent threat to sapient beings here doesn’t mean they’re the only ones. Just the sealed records in Empire City alone are the stuff of nightmares.”

“Now that you’ve gotten the general idea,” Spitfire added, “it underscores the situation we’re in, Commander. In some possible cases, CSAU may be the only line of defense for both Alter-Earth and Human-Earth.”

“Then what it sounds like is that you need someone who is SPECWAR qualified to lead this team,” Mike said honestly. “Sorry, but I’m not wearing the Trident, and it sounds like you need someone of that caliber to lead this unit.”

“Truthfully?” Bryson commented. “We did have someone ready to lead – Col. Thomlinson; if you weren’t aware, he’s AFSOC. But you saw what happened to him after Floral Fantasy was injured. He’s in no condition to assume command. Fortunately, with you arriving on the scene and how you’ve acquitted yourself in the past few weeks, I’d say you’re more than capable for the position, Mike.”

Spitfire nodded in agreement. “When Princess Celestia heard that the CSAU CO position was opened, she all but demanded you be given command. She said that you were the only one the three princesses could put their trust in, and based on your record, that’s certainly true.” The pegasus looked right at Mike and said, “I’m not asking you as a general or the acting minister of defense, or as a soldier.” Her eyes softened as she continued. “I’m asking you as a wife and mother. I have a husband; he owns a toy store in Northside Canterlot. We have two foals, colts. If I could do anything – anything – to know that Klik-Klak, High Hopes and Lofty Dreams would be okay, I would. Part of me just wants to take them and run as far away as I can just to keep them safe. But I can’t do that. I have to toe the line and keep fighting. But I can’t do this alone, Commander. I need your help.”

The look in her eyes was bleak. “You have a wife and sons; your wife is Rarity’s daughter, and Rarity’s a friend of mine – I know the history. I understand this is the last place Sandalwood wants to be. But I need you in the fight, Commander. Because if the bad guys win, they won’t care about whether or not Sandalwood is speaking to Rarity or not; the fact is that she’s the Daughter of Generosity and that will make her a target. They will come after your world eventually, and if that happens…your sons, your wife…they won’t be safe. Ever.”

She turned away, seemed to have wiped tears from her eyes. “Heh, must have something in my eyes. Getting too soft in my old age.” With her back to him, she said, “Thank you for listening, Commander. I hope you’ll do right by us.” And with that, she walked out.

Bryson looked at the naval officer. “Thoughts?”

Mike turned to look at Sable Loam. “What’s your take on all this?”

“With all due respect, sir? As much as I hate to admit it, as ponies we’re in over our head. We’re still really just organizing our military forces, and prior to that Equestria hasn’t really had much of a standing military since Moonfall – the old Guard and Fleet were more for police duties than real military stuff. And even the countries that have had regular militaries, like Griphonica, still don’t quite have a grasp for what seems to be – and no offense meant, mind – the natural violent streak that humans have.”

“None taken, Major,” Mike answered.

“Just an observation, sir. Heck, most ponies think I’m a little weird because I was the XO of a unit that specialized in field sniping. Heck, somepony once accused us werewolves of thinking we really were wolves. Where they would even get an idea like that, I’ve no clue.” He cracked a grin. “Okay, maybe my wife might joke about the ‘wolf in bed’ part, but Fair Vista’s cutie mark should’ve made her a comedienne instead of a grocer.”

Mike was quiet for a moment before turning to Sable. “XO?”

The major cracked a grin. “Yes, sir?”

“Start rounding up the forces that are assigned to the unit. I want to meet the senior cadre first thing tomorrow morning.”

“I guess the correct answer is, ‘Aye, sir.’”


“How are you feeling this morning?” Faust poked her head in to check on Twilight. The pepsis had spent most of the night scared out of her wits, and the former alicorn queen wondered what kind of hells the young mare had been through to react like that. Fortunately, unpredictable as always, Screwball had crawled into bed with Twilight, turned back into her normal pony form, and then turned herself into a giant plushie in an attempt to keep Twilight company. That only served to terrify the pepsis further and the end result of that was a sleepless night for everyone in the home.

The pepsis still looked a bit shaky. “I’m…I’m sorry,” she said softly.

“It’s okay,” Faust answered. “I don’t think Screwball’s offended, and she was trying to help. Most fillies usually like plushies.”

“I’m not used to….” Twilight trailed off before adding, “I’m not used to other things being in my bed and being nice.” The look on Faust’s face was one of sudden sadness, and Twilight instinctively curled into a fetal position, all the better to take the inevitable physical blows. “I’m sorry! Don’t hurt me!”

“I promise you, Twilight, no one…nopony…will ever hurt you again,” the redhead whispered softly, reaching down to stroke the terrified mare’s side. “I don’t know what happened to you, but I do know that so much of it was against your will, and it’s left you hurt and ruined. But we need to make you hearty and hale in order to protect Twilight Sparkle.”

“What’s she like?” The look in the pepsis’ eyes suddenly lit up; Faust wondered if this was the first time that it had ever occurred.

“I don’t know,” the redhead admitted, “but I’m told by a friend that she’s wise, courageous and loving. And that she would be happy to have a daughter like you.”

“Would she?” Twilight chirped at first, but then something settled in her mind and her ears drooped away as she said, “But I’m just a tool. How could she love me?”

“Could you love her?”

“I…I don’t know,” Twilight admitted. “I’m not even sure what it really is.”

Faust smiled softly. “Then how can you be sure she wouldn’t love you? That’s the thing about it: it takes time, trust and faithfulness to do so. When I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, I wondered if I could love her, or if she could love me. It wasn’t anything I was used to, either. But then I saw that sweet face, looking at me with adoring eyes, and I knew that I would forever love her. I’m sure that when she sees you, she will feel the same…and you’ll feel the same about her.” Reaching towards the mare’s gauze, Faust said, “Now let me check your injuries and make sure they don’t leave scars.”

“But I’ve seen Chrysalis’ and Gloaming’s hides, and they’re pretty scarred,” Twilight replied.

Faust filed that latter information away as she undid the dressing, saying, “Yes, but you’re going to be a pony now, Twilight. Scars don’t look good on mares. Mares have to look good, you know.”


It was a day later than she’d intended to be here, DJ ruminated, and it had already thrown her off her groove. She’d intended to be here the day before, but because of an attack on Equestriani assets back home on human-Earth, government buildings in Canterlot had been locked down for the day, something that Sweetie Belle had later told DJ was a first. So she’d spent the day making sure that the kids were ready to go, and in the process undid her own confidence in being ready to face this moment.

And now here she stood in the elevator as they headed down to the quarantine area, frustrated and nervous. “Where is he?” she muttered. “He promised me he’d be here!”

“He’s probably getting his first briefings as a Commanding Officer, DJ,” Matt replied. “But you know Mike. He said he’d be here and he will. Just have faith.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” the humanized pony admitted to her father as her temper deflated. “I’m just nervous. Worried about Twilight and the others.”

“The others?” he repeated.

“Okay, there’s one I couldn’t care less about,” DJ huffed. “Sorry if it’s unchristian of me, but that’s just how I feel, Dad.”

The elevator arrived at the floor, and the group stepped out. Waiting there was Spike; as he was going to visit Twilight and the others today, he’d agreed to meet them there. “Heya, all,” he said, as the group walked up to him. “Ready to see Twi, Rarity, AJ and Rainbow?” Spike asked, then immediately realized what he said.

“I just hope I’m not wasting my time, Spike. I mean, yeah, maybe she called me here and all, but I’m not convinced.”

“You should have more faith,” Spike told his niece. “Trust me: if they said Rarity called for you, then she called for you.”

“Really? Is it really true, or is everyone just trying to make me ‘have some sort of inner peace’ by reconciling with her? She doesn’t mean anything to me – I have nothing to reconcile,” DJ said.

“Does what’s his name…Elusive…mean nothing to you?” DJ looked at her father as he mentioned her biological brother’s name, and Matt shook his head. “If he means anything to you, and from what I understand, he does, then Rarity should mean something as well. You and Elusive come from the same starting point, after all. Without Rarity, he wouldn’t have been born – and I wouldn’t have a wonderful daughter who usually doesn’t disappoint me.”

“I know, I know….” she said, getting the hint. Deciding the subject needed changing, she asked, “Wow, where did Mom take the boys? The other side of the world?”

Spike shrugged, drawling, “Well, the gift shop is on the far side of the Infirmary. Plus, this is a government-owned facility and the top military hospital. Considering what happened yesterday, there’s probably checkpoints and extra patrols getting in the way.”

“True.” A few more seconds went by before DJ spoke up again. “Dad? Did you and Rarity…talk about me?”

“Not much,” he admitted. “We told her how proud you’ve made us over the years and the kind of woman you’ve become, but she didn’t want to hear it. She’s convinced that we ruined her life, and that you’re now a continuation of that ruination.” His words had a slight tone of evasiveness to her, but she didn’t prod; it was something likely meant as an insult to her parents and something he knew she would likely also hold against Rarity.

“Probably because you said woman and not mare,” DJ sighed. “I just…look, even if I wanted her in my life – and so far I’m more likely to adopt a scorpion – why can’t she just accept me for who I am?”

“I can’t answer that, furball,” Matt replied, adjusting his glasses. “Only she can.”


The elevator doors opened again, and out stepped Anna and the boys; both Stuart and Tyler were carrying oversized ice cream cones. “Sorry, DJ,” Anna explained with a bemused look on her face, “but I figured it might be rough on the kids so I thought I’d spoil them just a bit.”

DJ smiled. “Thanks, Mom.” She then looked at her sons. “You guys ready for this?” There was no answer, as both boys were completely engrossed in their treats. DJ then looked up at her mother. “Still kinda nervous about this,” she admitted to her mother.

“You’ll be fine,” Anna assured her daughter. “You’re not a little girl she can threaten or push around anymore. And this will be good for you no matter what – you need this. Oh and speaking of needs, Elusive is in the building; ran into him in the lobby.”

“I know why.” Had she not her own issue at the moment, she would have gone to give her younger brother comfort. He was expecting both Butter and Minty to be transported over to the Royal Infirmary today – Butter was expected to be released tomorrow – and he was probably here to visit his father as well.

My biological father as well, the humanized pony thought to herself. Over the years, he’d rarely come up in conversation; it was always about Rarity. What does he think of me? Does he think of me? I know what Rarity thinks and how much Minty hates me, and I’m back on good terms with Elusive, but Silversteel has never really come into the picture.

“Are you planning to see him later?”

“I might, if he comes down here to the restricted ward, but otherwise later. He could probably use some advice on how to deal with handling two newborns.”

“I’m sure he’d appreciate that.” At that point, an uncomfortable silence ensued, broken only by the occasional happy comments coming from the two boys. DJ knew that within the next few minutes, whatever was to be said would have a profound impact on the rest of her life and those of her descendants.


In another part of the hospital, a stallion was about to make the first of his visits. Most of his immediate family was here, save for his newly-born children, and it was a miracle that they’d been spared the same fate that their mother, their grandparents and their younger maternal aunt had suffered. As for their older maternal aunt…she was probably going to face a personal hell of her own in a few.

But right now he had to face his.

“Father, I’m here,” Elusive said as he walked into the private room. Just days ago, the room had been occupied by both his father and his aunt, but thankfully Scootaloo was released and was on the mend. If only he could say the same about his father, however. Silversteel lay alone in the room now, and with Rarity still afflicted, Minty in critical condition and DJ still coming to grips with everything, that only left him and Butter – but even she was down now, bunked in the same hospital room as Minty.

Grabbing a chair next to his father’s bed, he said softly, “Father, I don’t know if you can hear me, but...she’s back. Sandalwood…that is, DJ…is back. I ran into her adopted mother downstairs. She’s getting ready to meet Mother. I wish you could see her; she’s grown up to be a very capable and beautiful mare. She’s the pride of her adoptive parents, and I think if you met her you’d give her a chance. I hope Mother will…but I’m not very confident.”

Silversteel continued to lay there, breathing into his mask, human science and pony magic both combining to heal his wounds and keep him stable; even still he did not stir or react to his son’s words. Expecting that, Elusive continued. “Did you know you’re a grandfather now? Butter…she had her foals the other night. Two beautiful foals: a filly, Apple Scruffs – DJ thought of the name – and a colt, Applestem. They’re so wonderful and I want you to be able to hold them and nuzzle them, spoil them rotten – but you can’t do that if you don’t wake up.”

Feeling a powerful emotion wash through him, Elusive kept talking. “I’m…I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m not feeling very confident in the way things are going right now. DJ’s here, but I’m the only member of the family she’s speaking to. Minty needs you and Mother; she lost her husband and foal and she came close to death. I can’t stop feeling guilty about my own foals being born not too long after Toffee and Gumdrop’s deaths, and I would have given my life for theirs – anypony would have.

“You need to come back to us. I can’t stress that enough. I don’t know what I can say that will bring you back except…I need you. Mother needs you. Minty needs you. And though I don’t think she realizes it…DJ needs you, too.” Feeling out of sorts and not sure of what else to say, the young stallion got back up and left the room silently, but just as he was at the door, he said, “Father, I need you to be strong for us, because I feel as though my own strength is weakening.”

Closing the door to the room, Elusive made his way to the elevator that led to the isolation wing. He didn’t know what was going to go on; only that both DJ and Rarity would need him.


Had he stayed for just a second more, he would have seen Silversteel’s form stir slightly as his voice rasped out, “Sandalwood….”


Walking through the palace, Luna practically vibrated with excitement, and, admittedly, a touch of anger. I hope she knows how much of an apology she owes me, both from holding the news of her new paramour from me and then denying my relationship with Robin. The moon alicorn signed inwardly, thinking about her true love and how much he’d suffered over the years, trying so many times to move on and find love without her, even as he knew their relationship was doomed.

And yet he never could, Luna knew. He could no more deny his love for her than she could for him.

But now we have a chance, my love, she said to herself. Once Celestia realizes what she’s done, there will be a chance for us – we’ll be together at last. Plus, it should be easier now: things have changed here and he could just as easily run his company from Canterlot as he could from Seattle. Or maybe…. She shook her head at the silliness of her momentary thought; there’d be no way that Celestia would allow her to abdicate. Despite her flightiness and penchant for practical jokes, Celestia was, in the end, very much about duty; truth be told, Cadance wasn’t anywhere near ready for such heavy duties and obviously Twilight, despite all her power, could not take the position. And there was no way in Tartarus that Luna would ever abdicate in favor of Blueblood.

Well, as Cadance says, love will find a way. All you have to do is just believe, Luna reminded herself. And with that, she walked into Celestia’s office, ready to wage war.


As always, Celestia’s secretary, Golden Insignia, was at her desk in the anteroom. “Ah, good morning, your highness,” the butter-hued unicorn said, a pleasant smile on the mare’s face. “I’m glad you arrived. I was just about to send your office a note that her maj—”

“Cut the flattery and just get me Celestia,” Luna said, more brusquely than she intended. “She and I have something to discuss.”

“Your highness, her ma—”

I don’t have time for this. Luna pointed towards a pair of beautifully-carved solid oak doors with well-polished handles made of red gold. “Insignia, get up, go through those doors and let her know I’m here or else those doors won’t be here much longer.” Luna felt slightly guilty for treating the aged mare like this, but it was clear that Celestia was stonewalling for some reason and Luna had a mission to accomplish.

There was a call from the other side of the doors: “Siggy, go ahead and let Luna in.” Without waiting for further ado, Luna just barged right in to find her sister, looking over dozens of official documents. She looked like she’d been up all night. “Morning,” she said in a cheerful tone that she didn’t seem to have in her eyes. “Care for some coffee? Just made a batch for myself and you’re welcome to it.”

Luna looked at her older sister oddly; Celestia pretty much abhorred coffee and only drank it when she needed the extra caffeine – which was almost never, since alicorns didn’t often require pick-me-ups like caffeine. “You look like a mess.”

“That’s why I asked you to come in first thing this morning,” Celestia said. “Though I’d appreciate it if you didn’t bully my staff.”

“I…uh….” This wasn’t exactly how she’d intended things to go. “Nevermind,” the moon alicorn said. “We need to talk.”

“Yes. I’m working on trying to formulate how we’re going to respond to these latest incidents, and I need your opinion. Where should we start?”

“Well, you can start by telling me when you had exactly planned to tell me – or was it never?”

Celestia looked at her sister for the longest time, an uneasy stare that made Luna suddenly wonder if she’d picked a very bad time to bring this up. Finally, the Princess of the Day said, “I think we’re talking about two different things. I know you took off yesterday for some personal reasons, but I need you back into the middle of things now, Luna.” The white alicorn sighed, then said, “Yesterday, we were attacked again by Iran. Our negotiation team in Belgium, as well as that of the Americans and the Dutch, were killed when the hotel was bombed and attacked by members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, their elite combat force. Worse, our Belgian ambassador, Clockwork Cog, was killed in the attack.”

Luna gasped. This definitely was a bad time to bring it up. “What…what happened?”

“I’m not done yet,” the sun alicorn said. “In New York, our ambassador to the UN, Apple Cobbler, was assassinated in broad daylight. Witnesses claim that it was another pony that did it, but they can’t find any trace of such, and a couple of minutes after the murder there was an explosion at some nearby buildings. We’ve got mages on-scene working with the FBI and we have reason to believe that it was a changeling that did it, though why they would kill AC is beyond me.”

Luna was now completely aghast. “I…I didn’t know,” she said. “You should have told me, Tia!”

“Lu-lu, we rarely have time to ourselves, so I can certainly sympathize. You wanted the day off, you got it, and I wasn’t about to complain. But now I need you here and focused. I had a meeting an hour ago with Cadance and Lyra, and they recommend that in the short term, Clockwork’s deputy can take over. But we need somepony experienced in New York and I’m afraid that AC’s deputy doesn’t have that experience. Cadance recommends that we send Spike there until we can permanently appoint somepony to take over, but I want your opinion on this.”

Luna plopped down in a chair across from her sister. This was…well, there was no real word the Princess of the Night could come up with to qualify what she was feeling. “Okay, then let’s focus on that,” Luna said, slipping into all-business mode. “We can discuss our little issue later.”

“Actually,” Celestia said, using her TK to pour herself a cup of coffee and float it over to her, “I could genuinely use a break from all this, so I guess we can just talk about what you need right now, Lu-lu.”

“I don’t think that’s germane to the situation right now, Tia,” Luna said. “You can tell me later, I assure you.”

Celestia floated the mug of coffee to her lips. “Tell you what?”

Luna rolled her eyes. “We’ve got bigger haybales to fry right now, sister.”

“No, because I need a break and something is clearly bothering you, Lu-lu. So, out with it. What did I forget or neglect to tell you?”

Luna sighed. Okay, you asked for it, sis, she muttered inwardly. “Stallion or mare?” Luna finally asked, “which one are you dating?” To Luna’s surprise Celestia lost control of the mug; it fell to the desk, splashing onto the computer’s hoofboard, shorting it out. Both mares looked at the fried computer peripheral before Luna said, “Maybe you should just tell me after all, Tia.”

“Tell you what?”

“I don’t know whether I should congratulate you or be really angry at you. You broke me and Robin up, and now you’ve got somepony to call your own. But I want to be happy for you, sister, I really do. So tell me who he – or she – is.”

“I…can’t,” Celestia said, suddenly, a winsome look coming onto her face. Or is that…guilt? Luna wondered.

“Is the pony in question a commoner? You’ve told me yourself, there’s no shame in that – Cadance married Shining with no issues, and despite their common blood our sisters were far nobler than the gentry, even before we elevated all of them.” Now Luna let her anger go; whomever her sister’s special somepony was, it was giving her quite a bit of pain. “Let me guess: Blueblood found out and he’s giving you grief as well? Honestly, I’ve just about had it with him and I’m tempted to fly out to Hoofalulu an—”

“No, it’s not that – well, he is a commoner, I think. But he’s not a pony.”

Luna raised a delicate eyebrow. “What species?” She gasped. “No – don’t tell me it’s Spike!” That suddenly made sense; to have Spike suddenly head to New York for the next few months while Celestia nursed a heart for him would be the source of her pain.

And yet…. Luna shook her head; Spike was family – such a relationship would be devastating for so many reasons, and any liaison between the two would be bordering on the incestuous. “I’ll be rather disappointed in you if it is,” Luna said, firmly.

Despite her consternation, Celestia giggled. “Of course it’s not Spike! I certainly don’t think of him that way – I never would! And for some strange reason I ever did, Twilight would never stand for it in any case. But…the individual question is human, and…it would be best if I didn’t get involved.”

“Do you love him?”

Celestia’s eyes radiated both passion and pain. “I wish I didn’t, but I do. I don’t know how it happened; I tried to avoid it, and yet….” She sighed. “He reminds me so much of Argent Lance that it’s like Argent never left, and yet…he’s so different. He’s not Argent, and I’m not swooning over my old memories. I do love him, I realize now, very much. I would very much wish to be his mare.” The look in Celestia’s lilac eyes were one of anguish, and Luna reached over to embrace her older sister.

“You shouldn’t bottle it up, Tia. You’re in love. Despite all our differences and all the problems we’ve had, I’ve always wanted you to find somepony…er, somebody special.” The moon alicorn continued to hold Celestia, who seemed to melt into that embrace. “All I’ve wanted is for you to be happy.”

“I…I don’t know what to say,” Celestia replied, her voice shaken – was the relationship that problematic? Luna asked herself.

“Tell me, sis. Trust me – you helped me with my relationship with Robin, after all.” You also destroyed it afterwards, but we won’t get into that, Luna silently added.

Celestia sighed. “All right. Only because I need to get this off my barrel.” She took a pause for breath, broke from the embrace and looked her younger sister in the eyes. “It’s Mike.”


Mike practically flew out of the elevator the moment the doors opened. “Sorry I took so long, hon. Got tied up talking to my new XO. Very interesting guy – never met a pony that liked hunting and fishing before.”

Spike gave Mike a nod. “You know, I could have given you a lift here, if you asked.”

“Maybe, but I needed to go home and change, and let Cinnamon know what was going on,” he said. “Besides, I needed the exercise.” He looked at DJ, who looked pensive. “You can relax, love. I’m here now.”

DJ quickly embraced him. “No, I’m nervous for a ton of different reasons, not that.” But after seeing both her parents roll their eyes, she laughed and admitted, “Okay, okay, okay – I was a bit impatient.”

“You know I’ll always have your back,” he said with a smile.

“I know,” she said, feeling his love as though it was a physical force.

“Well, now that we’re all here, it’s time to go in,” Anna said, pointing towards the first door; in truth, it was just a force field that strobed with a radiant red aura. “Now I want you boys to listen very carefully,” the woman said, bending down to look at her grandchildren. “Your grandpa, your dad and I have to go through quickly, but you two and your mom have to go slowly, okay?”

Stuart looked up at his mother. “Is it because you’re a pony, Mom?”

DJ nodded. “Kinda. It’s also because you two are part pony as well. Just think of it this way,” she said with a soft smile. “You and your brother can keep me company, okay?” When both kids nodded their understanding, DJ looked at her mother to continue.

“You’re going to pass through six different colored magical barriers, each one a color of the rainbow,” Anna continued. “Do not pass through the purple one, understood? I know you’re going to want to, but it’s dangerous right now.” The elder human’s voice sounded carried tones of both firmness and worry, and as one, her daughter and grandsons nodded.

“I’ll let Twilight know we’re here,” Matt said. With that, the older man walked through the red field, disappearing as though diving into an opaque, ruby-toned lake. Spike was next, his large form moving through the barrier with a graceful gait that belied his bulky frame.

“Well, shall we, Mike?” Anna asked.

Mike offered his mother-in-law his arm. “Age before beauty, Anna – and I have neither.” The woman laughed and then both humans passed through the first barrier.


DJ stood there for who knew how many seconds, staring at the barrier that had swallowed up her loved ones. She wasn’t sure what was more frightening: coming face-to-face with the unicorn she hadn’t seen in two decades, or taking her children through five biohazard barriers, any one of which could potentially fail and possibly expose them to the same disease killing Twilight and the others. She wasn’t afraid to die – she’d already come close to that once, and while she could easily delude herself on that little lie, when it came to her sons the issue suddenly took on a much starker tone. But in any case, this was the only way in and time was whiling away.

She brought both boys close to her, bending down as she embraced them both. “You guys ready?” she asked. When both nodded, she gave them a broad smile. “I love you both so much,” she said, her eyes watering. “You two make me so proud.”

She was about to take the boys in when she heard a familiar voice calling out, “DJ, wait!” The humanized pony turned around to see Elusive, having cleared the elevators, coming to a stop before her. “I’m glad I got here in time,” he told her.

“Luse, you didn’t have to come here for me,” she said, though a smile built on her face. “Though I’m glad you did – I could use someone else in my corner.”

But the ivory stallion shook his head. “I’m not in anypony’s corner, DJ. I’d like to see you and Mother make peace, but I’ll be there to support both of you. I hope you understand.”

She nodded. “You wouldn’t be you otherwise.” Turning her attention to her sons, she said, “Stuart, Tyler, I’d like you to meet your uncle, Elusive. He’s my younger brother.”

Stuart looked up at her, confused. “But I thought Uncle Sam was your brother, Mom?”

“He is,” Elusive answered. “I’m just her other brother, via our birth mother – your mother didn’t really meet me until a couple of days ago.” To his surprise, the boy picked up on that in a heartbeat; Elusive was impressed at the logical leap the child made. “Your sons are adorable, DJ,” he voiced. “And I see they have some of the family coloring as well.”

“They’re my precious little guys,” she said in motherly tones. “Well, if you’re ready, we were just about to go in.”

Elusive dropped to his haunches. “Tell you what: both of you hop on, and I’ll give you a ride, okay?” The boys needed no prodding and both hopped on in a heartbeat, their cherubic faces full of excited grins at this latest addition to the adventure of their young lives.

DJ, however, was perplexed. “Can you do that? I thought that was considered rude in Equestriani culture.”

“Actually, no, it’s common for very young foals to do so,” Elusive explained. “When he was younger, Uncle Spike used to ride on Aunt Twilight’s back all the time, she told me. In fact, she said she knew he was growing up when he couldn’t do it anymore.”

“I see,” she said as both boys stabilized, with Tyler in front and holding onto Elusive’s mane and Stuart behind, ensuring he’d protect his younger brother as always. Elusive’s horn glowed with a warm, orange light and stabilizing magic wrapped softly around the boys, holding them fast in place as he stood back up.

“Well, if you’re ready, DJ,” he said to her.

“Not in the least, but….” She shrugged; what more could she say? And with that, the four traversed through the red barrier.


Lyra tried to relax as she waited for her family to come through the portal. Standing at her side was Birchwood, a ministry staffer who looked as though she’d rather be anywhere else. “Kinda nervous about this,” Lyra said to no one in particular.

“Why so, Ambassador?” Birchwood asked. “Your family has been through the portal before, right?”

“Well, my husband has,” the celeste unicorn said. “But this is the first time the kids have been. And even though I know this is safe – even safer than the commercial gates they use to fly and sail from HE to here – this is my family that we’re talking about here. Of course I’m going to worry.”

“Certainly understandable,” Birchwood chuckled. “So, what’s your stallion like?”

Lyra shook her head as the portal started to activate. “Oh, I’m not married to a stallion – I’m married to a human,” she said. “And we have two girls and a boy.”

“I…see. I’m sorry my information was incorrect,” the mare said.

“Naaah, don’t worry about it. I used to be married to an earth pony mare, but that relationship fell through,” Lyra answered, though she didn’t give further details. “Paul and I have been together for almost fifteen years now, and I have three wonderful children. If you ask me, that’s probably my greatest accomplishment as an ambassador – paving a way for happiness.”

Birchwood nodded, saying nothing. She then turned to look at the clock and said, “Oh, dear – I’m running late for a meeting myself. Will you require any further assistance, Ambassador?”

“Nope; as my old friend Vinyl says, ‘Naaaah, I got this.’ Thanks, though. Take care,” Lyra said, as the tan pegasus departed for her destination. Lyra turned back around just in time to see her two kids pop through the portal with grins on their faces, and then Paul, holding Ovie in one hand and carrying a bag in the other.

“Mom!” the twins said as one, racing towards Lyra. Colby and Orchid were a week younger than DJ’s son Stuart and the three of them got along; Bon-Bon, back when she’d been sane, had pointed out that sometimes it seemed that Orchid, at a young age, already had designs on Stuart. Lyra didn’t see it, but maybe it was just Orchid’s human heritage shining through.

“Hi guys,” she said, embracing her twins. “You’re going to have fun here this week, I promise. Besides, Stuart and Tyler are here, so you can play with them.” She then got up and went over to hug and kiss her youngest daughter, Octavia Vinyl, or “Ovie”, for short. “Hey, little music,” she said to the dark-haired girl. “You’re so cute!” And last, she got on her tiphooves and kissed her husband. “And I’ve missed you,” she said to Paul.

“Well, miss me no more,” he said, smiling. “You got us a decent hotel?”

“Best of all – the Châteaux de Mi Amore Cadenza,” she said with a grin.

“Hrm…I didn’t see that on Yelp.”

“Oh, trust me – you’ll like it,” Lyra said, cryptically.


Watching from a distance, the bile built in Birchwood’s throat. The ambassador was a disgrace – not only had she slept with the true enemy, humans, but she’d enslaved herself to one by having little monsters with it. Or maybe the ambassador didn’t consider herself a pony any longer and wanted to speed up mankind’s eventual conquering of this world. Well, Birchwood was not going to stand for that.

The first chance she’d get, she’d inform her fellow Purehooves. The sooner they got this disease called humans off their world, the better.


For what seemed like a plethora of uncomfortable seconds, there was naught but silence. Then there was a grinding sound – that sound was Luna’s teeth, as she went from zero to completely livid, wrenching herself away from the embrace. “You hypocritical harri—”

“Luna, I’m your sister – and your Princess,” Celestia said, hoping for reason. “I think I deserve som—”

“Buck. You.” Luna slammed a hoof down on the ground; the marble tiling below cracked with that hooffall. “How could you do this to DJ? Our niece, if you recall? How could you?

“It’s not like I wanted this!” the older alicorn said.

Now it makes sense!” Luna accused. “You rushing out to rescue him in a second, volunteering to go interrogate the enemy with Mike, offering to show him around Canterlot while he was still getting the hang of being here. Tell me, how quickly did you lift your tail?”

“That’s uncalled for,” Celestia said, as her own patience was starting to slip away.

“Really? I wonder if I walk into your room if I’ll find his scent?” Luna snarled. “How long did it take for you to seduc—” Luna never finished her sentence as Celestia reached out and slapped her. It was the first violent contact the pair had since Luna’s possession. She reached up, shocked.

“Are you quite finished?” Celestia said, now angry herself. “I’ll have you know I didn’t sleep with him!”

“Oh really – then explain what your chambermaids said about somepony sleeping in your room?”

“I….” She paused, then grew angry again, tears of rage and pain forming in her violet eyes. “And what if I did? I’m the bucking princess regnant, got that? The ruler of this whole bucking nation, and if I want to have a relationship, then I THINK I’M ENTITLED TO ONE! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ME? STERILE, UNTOUCHABLE, ICE QUEEN CELESTIA? WHY DO I HAVE TO GIVE UP EVERYTHING! WHY DID I HAVE TO GIVE UP THE ONLY STALLION I LOVED HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS SO ALONE? WHY DO I HAVE TO GIVE UP SOMEPONY I LOVE NOW? ANSWER ME THAT, LUNA – WHY? WHAT MAKES YOU SO SPECIAL TO BE ABLE TO WANT TO RETURN TO YOUR TRUE LOVE WHILE I GET TO ROT ALONE?

Luna looked as if she was struck to the core, then stood, regal and angry. DON’T YOU DARE DRAG ROBIN INTO THIS – HE’S SUFFERED SO MUCH BECAUSE OF YOU! BOTH OF US DID! AND ALL THIS TIME, WHEN HE AND I COULD HAVE BEEN TOGETHER, YOU’VE BEEN PLOTTING TO STEAL DJ’S HUSBAND!”

Both sisters looked at each other with an anger that hadn’t been seen in centuries.


Suddenly, the doors to Celestia’s office were thrown wide open. “I see somepony needs to talk sense into both of you,” Cadance said as she entered the fray. Behind her, several of the staff were in the anteroom, looking frightened as the two royal sisters fought for the first time since Moonfall.

“Get out,” both elder alicorns ordered their niece.

“No. Make me.” With a proud defiance of a princess, she walked forward, righteous rage in her eyes. “You know, I’m very glad that the privacy spells in the room mask all but just the most basic of words so no one can hear what the buck you’ve both been screaming? Do you know how much you both spelled disaster for yourselves – because neither of you could keep your tails down? I mean, I’m just the avatar of passion, after all – I should be the one running through the pasture! But no, I got married before I started getting intimate and have stayed loyal to my husband even fifteen years after his death! What’s your excuses, mares?

“Plus, in case either of you have forgotten, we have a diplomatic crisis on our hands!” Floating a paper in front of her, she repeatedly tapped a hoof against it. “We have several of our staffers and allied personnel dead due to a terrorist attack on us in Belgium, and our ambassador there is dead! Furthermore, our ambassador to the United Nations was assassinated! And this morning, the Iranian government issued a fatwa, or however you pronounce it, declaring that we’d framed them, they would no longer stand for ‘our’ quote, unquote, ‘lies’ and that they are on the verge of declaring war against us! And yet you two just want to sit here and scream at each other about how neither of you has gotten laid in years! Do you even see the problem with this?

Both princesses looked at the third alicorn, then quieted down. Cadance folded her forelegs in front of her, grinning smugly. “I thought so.” With that, she then turned back to those assembled in the anteroom and said, “Show’s over, ponies. Let them discuss these very personal issues in peace – you’d want the same if you were in their hooves. Golden Insignia, please make sure that other staffmembers take the rest of the princess’ petitions – including mine – for the day and that the Day and Night courts are cancelled for the evening. Thank you.” Without waiting for an answer from the unicorn, Cadance closed the doors and then wheeled back towards her counterparts. “We’re going to sit here until this gets solved. We’re on the brink of war right now and the last thing this nation needs right now is its heart and soul at conflict with itself.”

The three sat there for countless minutes before a chastened Celestia spoke. “Where did you get so brave, Cadance?”

“Everything you ever taught me,” she said with a smile. “Being married to your former Captain of the Guard and Defense Minister also helps. But we’re not talking about me. What did you do?”

“Nothing. I had the chance. And…I wanted to, very much. I would have given myself to him freely, but…he only has eyes for her.” The last word was spoken with torture, the kind that spoke of a desire to be jealous and yet knowing she couldn’t be. “Even if I wanted to…even though I wanted to…he would never do it. And that alone makes me love him all the more.”

Cadance looked at Luna next and saw the flickering of confusion in the dusky alicorn’s face. Luna had said many a time that she’d wanted nothing but the best for her older sister, for her to have her own relationship, but not at this cost. Just the mere choice of who had won Celestia’s heart – had it been anypony else, or if Mike had not been involved with DJ, Luna would have supported her sister wholeheartedly. But her loyalty to her sister was at war with a dozen other conflicting emotions, not the least of which were the bitter memories Luna had.

“Why?” was all the dusky alicorn asked.

“Because when he rescued me…when he comforted me…I haven’t felt like that in ages. He made me feel like a mare, Luna. Nopony sees me as anything other than a distant, untouchable star – I may as well be the sun itself. But with Mike…he makes me feel alive. And as I said before, he reminds me so much of Argent Lance, but I know he isn’t. And yet…I can never be with him.”

“This isn’t just some crush, some infatuation for the first guy who caught your attention?” Cadance asked.

Celestia paused, then said something clearly from her heart, though hardly what the other two princesses expected to hear: “If he asked me to…I would lift my tail in an instant. Maybe that makes me a tail-lifter, but I don’t care.”

Both Luna and Cadance looked at each other, then back at Celestia, then back at each other before Cadance was the one to speak. “Well…at least you’re being honest about it,” she said with some embarrassment.

“I know. But I can’t change how I feel – I won’t change,” she replied.

“You’re acting rather foalishly, sister,” Luna said. “For one, he’s a married man. Secondly, you are a princess.”

Celestia’s rebuttal to that was rather succinct: she merely teleported out of the room. The two remaining alicorns looked at each other, and a few seconds more went by before Cadance sighed and said, “Well, that went well.”

Luna looked at her niece, rolling her eyes. “Swimmingly,” she said, returning the sarcasm. “Either way, we still have some duties to attend to, which is why I’m assuming you’re here. Let’s head back to my office and we can discuss what we’re going to do about Iran’s reaction. I get the feeling that Tia is going to be indisposed for a while.”


As one, the four travelled down a long hallway, passing through the other magic barriers that shimmered with their assigned colors of the rainbow. Somehow the first barrier had sent them into a specially-isolated area that seemed to be interminably long, longer than the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, if DJ’s guess was correct. As they passed through each barrier, each one had the texture, strangely enough, as though they were pushing through jello – at least that’s what the scents reminded her of.

As if guessing his sister’s thoughts, Elusive said, “Is it just me or did that last one remind you of lime gelatin?”

Her eyes went wide. “You guys have jello here? Uh...gelatin’s the generic name,” she quickly explained.

He nodded. “It’s a magically-created dish. There’s a confectioner in Vanhoover, Jiggle Wiggle, whose grandfather invented the dish; as for Jiggle Wiggle himself, he’s supposedly the best gelatin confectioner in the world – well, this one, at any rate.” He paused in thought before asking, “So how’d humans come up with the dish?”

“It’s…uh, made from seaweed or some fruit, I think.” Inwardly, DJ shuddered; while that was the case now, when she was still just a toddler it had been common practice to make it from the collagen taken from horse by-products. For her, it was as unnerving as eating monkey meat would probably be for regular people. She’d stayed clear of jello for years as a result, and it hadn’t really been until she had the boys that she’d started having it around the house again.

“I see. What about ‘jello shots’, then? I was in New York mid-last year and my broker’s intern mentioned something about those.”

“Oh – those are alcoholic desserts based on regular jello. Had a few once when I was in college. Really strong; well, for normal humans, anyway. There was this one guy who kept trying to feed them to me to get me drunk and—” She noted her sons were getting interested in the story and thought that was a good time to change the subject. “Well, he didn’t get what he wanted, in any case. But anyway, here’s the last barrier.”


The barrier wavered and warped a shimmering hue of azure, a veritical pool of light laying before the group as they approached. Standing by the barrier was a quartet of REA soldiers, all heavily armed – were they here to make sure bad guys kept out, or that Twilight and the others stayed in? “Hello, Count Lusitano,” the sergeant in charge said, adding, “And you must be Countess Faroe and your sons.” Behind the sergeant, the three other soldiers snapped to attention, their weapons at the ready.

“Good afternoon, Sgt. Buckwell,” Elusive said with a nod. “Did that advice I gave you work?”

Buckwell nodded. “Yes, sir, thanks – made a small windfall off that stock tip.” He then added, “Since you’ve been here before, sir, you already know the drill, but I hope you don’t mind while I give it to the newcomers.”

“Not at all; I’d insist, actually.”

“Thank you, sir.” Turning to DJ and the boys, the sergeant said, “Under no circumstances are you to touch the purple-hued barrier. Should that happen, any pony past thirty feet of the contact point will be immediately teleported to a quarantine room where they will be isolated for twenty-four hours for safety purposes. Anypony who is within that danger zone will be transported within the barrier and will then be permanently part of the quarantine group. Countess, while your foals appear human, we’ve been informed of their pony ancestry and I have to inform you that should it come to, they will be treated as if they’re fully pony – including isolating them if need be. Whatever is affecting the Bearers, we cannot afford to let out.”

DJ looked at her children, then back at the sergeant, worry etched in her eyes. Understanding, he added, “Ma’am, we took precautions and had the strength of the purple barrier doubled. Plus, your husband insisted that we take all possible precautions before you came in. He was…uh…somewhat persuasive, I noticed. Military, I’m guessing?”

“He’s a US Navy Commander,” she said, feeling a lot more at ease. “He tends to be a bull in a china shop when it comes to me and the boys.”

“Yup, that’ll do it,” Buckwell cracked. “But lastly, you’ll have to walk through the barrier individually, which means the foals…er, children will have to walk themselves,” the soldier added to Elusive.

“I see,” the unicorn replied, gently grabbing the boys with his telekinesis and placing them right by DJ’s side. In turn, she put out her hands and the kids took them. Nodding briefly to the soldiers, DJ stepped in, children in hand, feeling the sensation of walking through blue bubblegum-scented jello, and—

Sandalwood? Luna’s voice sang in her mind.

The humanized pony smiled to herself. The spell was being powered by Luna’s magic, apparently, and the moon alicorn had slipped a message into it for DJ to hear. Somehow, the dusky mare knew that DJ would eventually pass through and had offered words of support, being there as she said she would.

I’m hoping you’ll receive these words; I’m making this recording now after not having seen you since you were a filly – you may not remember me. But I remember you very much, Sandalwood, and I’m hoping we’ll have the chance to meet again. I hope that whatever choices and chances you’ve had in life with the humans, that they’ve been one of love, and that you remember that we have always loved you. But remember that we love Rarity just as much, and we want the best for you.

I hope you and I get the chance to meet face-to-face. I’d once promised to show you the stars, and I very much intend to keep that promise someday.

DJ felt the sting of tears welling in her eyes. You did, Luna, she answered silently. You did – and I’m thankful.

The humanized pony took another step and found herself on the other side of the barrier, standing in an overly large room that stank of antiseptic chemicals. A row of chairs for humans and cushions for ponies had been placed in front of the purple barrier, which unlike the previous ones was translucent. Seated on cushions as close to the barrier as they could get were Applejack and Twilight. The humanized pony’s heart skipped a beat when she saw her aunts, then shattered just as quickly as she saw what was happening to them.

“I know I’ve looked better,” Twilight said to the new arrivals. “Hello, Elusive, DJ, Stuart, Tyler.” AJ simply nodded, saying nothing, but the look on her face was one of relief, glad to see DJ finally here.

“Hello, Aunt Twilight, Aunt Applejack,” Elusive said, his voice catching. “Is Mother…?”

“Pertendin’ t’ be asleep,” Applejack replied with a grin. “She, uh, didn’t want t’ deal with Matt an’ Anna bein’ here. ‘Specially since sh’ found out DJ wuz comin’.” She looked at the humanized pony and grinned. “DJ, darlin’ y’re lookin’ great. An’ th’ boys – oh, y’ two are gettin’ t’ be sproutin’ like weeds, y’ are! Ah’d hug y’all right now, but…well, y’know.”

DJ’s eyes filled with tears. Two of the people who were important to her and she was looking at them, sore-covered and emaciated, looking as though they were going to die – which was the truth. She felt her grip on her kids’ hands come off, felt her ears lower. She then felt Mike’s arms around her, comforting her as always. But it wasn’t going to help this time.

“DJ…I know it’s hard to see us like this,” Twilight said, looking at her niece. “And I won’t lie: it’s painful – it’s like nothing I’ve ever felt.” There was a momentary stare from AJ, but it tapered off immediately; now was not the time to get into that. “But what also hurts me – hurts all of us in here – is not being able to go over there and hug you and comfort y—”

“Stop that, stop that, okay?” DJ said. “Twilight, you and AJ – you’re my aunts, you’re supposed to be there for me when I need you. I don’t know a single thing about Equestriani customs, but what I do know is that family is family. You two have always been there for me, always. I don’t want to lose you, either of you – especially you, Twilight.”

The unicorn sighed. “So you know.”

DJ crossed her arms, as if that was enough of an answer.

Twilight looked at her niece; had she been a unicorn and remained in Equestria, Sandalwood would have been far more knowledgeable than the average pony. Or was that all due to her human upbringing? “You know I’m not changing my mind, right?” she said, wanting to underscore her choice, at the same time turning away from Spike because she didn’t want to hurt him.

DJ sighed. “I have two wonderful children I wouldn’t have right now if it wasn’t for you. I have my life as it is because of you. You’ve given me so much, and now you want me to forget all of it?”

“I never as—”

“Yes you are, Twilight.” DJ’s eyes were tearing up. “If you sacrifice yourself, so much will be lost and not because of your positions and your influence. I will always have my children and my life, but I won’t have an aunt who will be there to see them grow up and get married, to be there when I need advice, to be someone I’ve always wanted there. You can’t throw your life away like that. You found a way to keep me with my family, and I know that’s just scratching the surface of everything you’ve accomplished in your life. You can beat this, I know you can.”

“She’s right, Aunt Twilight,” Elusive spoke. “Were it not for you and Aunt Sweetie, I wouldn’t have a stronger-than-normal telekinetic ability. I admit, while I have some of Mother’s skills, it was you who taught me so many more. And Cinnamon wouldn’t be half the mare she’s growing up to be if it weren’t for you. I hope that someday you’ll be able to teach my foals, to love and cherish them as much as you have my sister’s children.”

Anna grinned. “Twilight, I don’t think there’s enough I can say that hasn’t been said already. But this much I can say: no one wants you to give up. No one wants you to give in. And this isn’t…in all the years I’ve known you, this isn’t you. You’re not the type to give up. And it makes no sense as to why you would. You’re a dear friend and at the age my husband and I are at, more and more of those are starting to pass on. That’s hard enough; I don’t want to see someone throw their life away, no matter how noble the cause. You’re one of the strongest magic users ever, Twilight – you should be able to beat this.”

Wordlessly, Matt and Mike looked at Twilight, not saying a word; everything having already been said. Applejack nodded and said, “Twi, nopony here’s sayin’ anythin’ ain’t already been heard, but it don’t make it any less true. We’re family, Twi – don’t do this t’ us.”

Spike’s voice was filled with urgency. “Twilight, all I have left is you, my big sister. If I lose you, what do I have left?”

Twilight felt the stings of tears in her eyes, feeling the love. She’d pushed just about everypony and everyone away with her determination; none of the three alicorns could come to see her to talk her out of this decision, so they were helpless to stop it. Even Spike, Sweetie Belle, Fluttershy and Pinkie, working to try to pull her away from her catastrophic decision, couldn’t do so. But even still, she had friends and loved ones to be there for her, her family.

And then the tearjerker came. Tyler, still not understanding what was going on, said, “Aunt Twilight, don’t cry, ‘kay? If you cry, it’ll make Mommy and Grandma cry and then everyone will cry and I’ll hafta cry too. An’ I don’t wanna cry, so don’t cry, ‘kay?”

Twilight smiled. “I promise I won’t, Tyler.”

AJ grinned. “Y’ can bet Ah’ll make shure she won’t, k?”

He grinned. “Thanks, Aunt Appuljak!”


The cavalcade of voices grated on Rarity as she attempted to get some sleep. She didn’t want to deal with this, would have immediately run away if she could. And it stung that she could hear her son’s voice in concert with the others. She thought she could rely on Elusive to be sensible in all this, but even he was just a stallion and probably fell prey to whatever charms Sandalwood was using.

Then she heard the voices of young colts – from what Twilight had said earlier, those were Sandalwood’s foals, ones she’d had with her human husband. While she had a granddaughter from Minty, and Elusive’s foals were due to be born at any moment…half-human foals? What did they look like? Were they grotesque monsters, proof that Sandalwood had been so scarred by her brainwashing by those thieves that she thought of them as beautiful? Or were they genuinely something else? The possibilities frightened the fashion unicorn, and she wasn’t sure she wanted to know the answers to those questions.

Plus, she’s not Sandalwood anymore – hasn’t been in years, Rarity mused darkly. The earth pony had long given up that name; in truth, had never used it at all. Her name now was simply a pair of letters, as if she enjoyed life as nothing more than some code designation: DJ. Sure, it quite possibly stood for something else – Applejack’s own diminutive of “AJ” was a testament to that – but with the rollicking former farmpony, it was different. The Apples were a simple bunch, a – no pun intended – very earthy clan, and Rarity knew that. But her daughter came from better stock, and frankly, the fashionista expected more from her offspring. And instead of embracing who she was, “DJ” instead threw that in Rarity’s face and continued to live a lie, having abandoned her heritage and birthright.

But why? Why would she do that? How could she not have realized how many tears, how many sleepless nights Rarity had endured? The endless days where Rarity sat by the window, looking at the stars, wondering if Sandalwood was amongst them, or in a place so far beyond that the stars couldn’t even map it. Did Sandalwood not care about each year when Rarity went and gratefully brought roses to the gravesides of Derpy and her daughters, who had paid the ultimate sacrifice in their attempt to save the foal?

But in the end, none of that meant anything to Sandalwood, nothing at all. She’d grown up without the purity and harmony engendered in each and every pony that lived, and instead grew up as a human. And truthfully, even that would have been preferred – but instead, she grew up with humanity’s worst examples, humans who enjoyed watching Rarity suffer each blow and would gladly deliver even more.

On the other side of the barrier, somepony made a comment, which was shortly followed by laughter; it rang in Rarity’s ears with the tinniness of a broken bell, its damaged peals angering her. She felt betrayed by both Applejack and Twilight, by Fluttershy, Pinkie and Sweetie, by everypony who claimed that they loved and cared about her. And now here she was, dying, and who were they gathering around? The betrayer, the traitress – the one who’d taken Rarity’s lifetime of love and stomped on it as far as her shoe-covered hooves would allow, who had demanded and chosen to stay brainwashed with her captors and even submitted herself to one, who had nearly torn apart Equestria with her dividing Rarity from her loved ones and even now still was doing so.

Rarity could stand it no longer.

“Enough!” she snarled as she rose from the bed, stomping over toward where Twilight and Applejack were sitting. “Can’t you leave well enough alone? Can’t you spend a day in your life without trying to stab me further?”

The room went deathly still as Rarity looked straight at the pony that she’d sacrificed so much for and had thrown it all back in her face, dressed and standing, as always like one of them, denying until the end her pony heritage – what she was.

And then she saw the foals.


“Sergeant Martinez, thanks for the briefing on human police procedures,” the deputy in charge of the station said. “I know I found it fascinating, and while I can’t speak for the sheriff, I think he was just as amazed.”

“Hey, not a problem at all,” Sam replied, tugging slightly at the collar of his dress shirt and slightly loosening the tie. When Sam had mentioned that he’d offered to give some lectures to the Canterlot Sheriff’s Office while he was in town, Spike had magicked up a few suits, ties and dress shirts for Sam. Unfortunately, Spike seemed to think of clothing as a literal second skin, so all his stuff was too tight. For a brief moment, Sam was jealous that Mike had Sweetie Belle making his extra clothing; as the younger sister of a fashion designer, she had a natural eye for clothing as well.

Then again, that’s part of how all this started in the first place, he remembered. But even that had a bright side: as much as he joked about it, he wouldn’t trade the experiences he had growing up with DJ ever.

“You need a lift back to where you’re staying?” the deputy asked. “Shouldn’t be a problem.”

Sam politely declined. “Naaah, nice enough day for a walk. Besides, it’s been a while since I got a good look at the capital, and it’ll be good for me to stretch my legs anyway.” Inwardly, though, Sam was laughing. The Sheriff’s Office had just received their order of brand-new Carbon Motors E7s and TX7s and the ponies were treating them like kids in a candy shop.

The deputy had a brief moment of disappointment before he said, “Well, then have a good day and we’ll see you tomorrow!” before heading back into the building. As for Sam, he started off on the four-mile walk back to Spike’s place. What he hadn’t told the deputy was that since the walk back to Spike’s took him well into the wealthy and almost exclusively unicorn – Spike being a rare exception – western district of town, he was sure to get a lot of stares from the upper-crust, hoity-toity ponies, but he was okay with that – after all the hell his sister went through over the years because of her own species, it was his little slice of payback.

After a couple of miles walking down well-manicured (hooficured?) streets and along a sidewalk where dozens of elite and nobleponies stared at him as though he was sullying up their space just by walking through and merely existing, he wasn’t surprised by their reactions. Spike had told him that even with him being raised by ponies and being related to two of the most important ponies ever, it still took the local residents at least a decade to start relaxing about him living there – and he had yet to receive an invitation to any events held by his neighbors, unless it was family.

Recalling Spike’s words made him remember that if Mike took that command offer, he and DJ would soon be residents of Canterlot as well. I wonder if DJ and Mike will end up living in Central or Northside – or if there’s base housing at one of the facilities around here, he mused to himself. Probably with DJ’s status as a member of the Royal Family, chances were that they’d be in a house here on this side of town, and that would be no small amount of grief for DJ and her family. While Twilight’s residence in Central was merely for convenience to be as close to the Guild facilities as she could, from what he knew Applejack, Rarity and the others who lived in Canterlot lived in the Western District.

Either way, with the way that some of these ponies act, I wouldn’t want to be around any of them myself, he mused.


Sam’s train of thought then stopped as he looked at a large brick-and-marble tower that was starting to reach for the sky – Spike had told him it was an old watchtower that was being renovated for use by the currently-under-construction Canterlot International Airport in the mountain range just ten miles northwest of town. As a result, the residents completely ignored it, especially the dozens of magically-adept unicorns who were already holding their noses up in the air as he walked past them…

…which was a shame because of the young woman standing on the edge of the parapet, the look on her face of one contemplating suicide. Sam did what came naturally and rocketed towards the tower, shouting for any of the unicorns in the area to call the police, at which they all looked at him as if he were mad.

“What if she jumps?” Sam said, looking for an entrance into the tower and not finding one; likely it was accessed via an underground passageway originally and a conventional doorway would be built into the renovations.

“That’s not my problem,” a haughty stallion with a sweater tied around his neck crowed, his voice sounding as if it carried some sort of ersatz New England accent. Standing next to him, his wife agreed, looking somewhat nonplussed that her husband had to even answer the stupid human’s question.

“Wouldja call the cops already? Someone’s going to die and I can see your cellphone holder!”

“I don’t have to, and if she falls, it’s her own fault for getting up there,” the stallion said, his wife nodding in agreement once more.

“Listen, either you can call them or I’ll have you arrested,” he snarled. He reached into his pocket, pulling out his badge. “Get it? I’m a cop.”

“Then do it yourself; I don’t have time,” the stallion nickered. “Humans – give them a little bit of authority and they think they’re something special. Let’s go, pumpkin; we’re already late for our lunch at Asparago’s.” And with that, the two ponies walked off, leaving Sam where he stood. Other unicorns, watching the brief verbal tussle, got the hint and also walked off, offering no help to the human standing there.

Sam looked up, saw the girl in a precarious position, and had to move immediately. “Sorry, Spike,” he said aloud as he removed his jack and ripped off his tie, reaching for the vines that clambered up the side of the tower. When he found one that was anchored in enough to let him climb, he started to do so, heedless of his own safety. A few ponies turned to watch, but otherwise gave no assistance to either of the humans – after all, this was the West End, and they were just humans; anything they did was their own fault and certainly couldn’t be blamed on ponies.


Rarity looked at the two young humans standing on the other side of the barrier. She saw then for what they were: innocents, youth that had yet to go through the rigors of life. And in an instant, she knew who they were: Sandalwood’s foals – her own grandfoals.

The truth was shown in their coloring: the older one had eyes the same color as his mother, who in turn inherited it from Silver’s mother; the younger one’s hair was the same color as her husband’s mane. And in that, there was another stab to Rarity’s heart: fate had given them the coloring of their grandfather’s blood; nothing in Rarity’s line showed in either Sandalwood or her foals. And for the first time since she’d given birth to the earth pony, there was an underscore of how very much Rarity had been separated from Sandalwood, even before that fateful day.

“The older one is named Stuart, and the younger one is Tyler,” Twilight whispered softly to Rarity, a proud smile on her face. “They’re wonderful boys, Rarity, and you should get to know them.”

Applejack nodded in agreement. “If’n y’ don’t, Ah reckon y’ll regret ‘t fer th’ rest o’ yer life. Dontcha dare do that t’ yerself, Rares.”

“They’re….” Rarity was suddenly overcome by emotion. They were young, innocent; regardless of the relationship that Rarity had with their mother, they could never be to blame. “They’re so…human,” she whispered. She hadn’t meant it as an insult; rather, it was her trying to grasp at what to say next. “They’re…so pony, as well,” she finally added. “I can see my Silversteel in them, and I…they are my grandfoals, aren’t they?”

On the other side of the barrier, everyone save for DJ relaxed. Perhaps this was finally the turning point between mother and daughter, where acceptance would finally come.


And then Rarity picked the wrong thing to say:

“Even if their mother is a selfish, ungrateful brat.”


Rumble knocked on the door, impatient. Time to get this over and done with. He tried to keep the best smile he could on his face; there was no need for putting his problems onto that of his brother and his family. After a few seconds of no answer, Rumble started knocking again. Still no answer.

Well, it’s possible they might not be home, he thought. I guess I’ll just go find a bar for a couple an—

He suddenly heard a loud gasp on the other side.

Oh, shi—

With no warning the door was slammed off its hinges, careening into him and knocking the stallion flat onto his back as three voices broke out in boisterous song:

“Welcome, welcome, welcome,
A fine welcome to you,
Welcome, welcome, welcome,
I say how do you do?
Welcome, welcome, welcome,
I say hip-hip-hurray,
Welcome, welcome, welcome,
To Ponyville today!”

Rumble suddenly felt himself picked up by a pair of impossibly strong forelegs – or maybe believably strong, she was an earth pony, after all – and was enveloped in a bone-crushing hug as a voice called out, “Rumble! We’ve missed you!” At the same time, two other voices, just a bouncy cried out in unison, “Welcome home, Uncle Rumble!”

He was suddenly set down, and gasping for air, he saw the massive grins on the face of his sister-in-law, niece and nephew. He should have known that Pinkie, Bubble and Surprise would have welcomed him into their home – Pinkie-Style.

“Thanks,” Rumble said, a grin breaking onto his face. It didn’t last long, however, as Pinkie grabbed him by the arm and shouted, “Let’s get you comfy!” while the kids shouted “Yay!” and moving at their naturally unnatural mach speed, dragged him back into the house to ensure that Rumble would get his thirty days of rest and relaxation.

He could only hope he’d live to see the end of it.


“What?” DJ said softly, as if she wasn’t sure what she’d just heard Rarity utter. A second later, however, the humanized pony decided that she did. Turning to Elusive, she said sweetly, “Dearest little brother, please do me a favor and take my boys out of the room.”

Something about the way DJ said those words set alarm bells off in the stallion’s mind. “DJ, I—”

“I don’t want the boys to be around in the next few seconds,” she said, her voice going from sickly-sweet to caustically acidic in less than a second. “And I don’t want you around to hear what I’m going to say, either.”

“DJ, I think I shou—”

“NO.” The tone came, as if rising from a volcano, the last tremor of warning before the great mountain spewed angry lava and raging ash all over the land, turning everything before it into a wasteland of devastation. And right now, Mt. Daisy Jo was on the verge of exploding, the smoke virtually rising from the caldera that was her mouth. “Get them out now, Elusive. Because. I. Have finally. Had. Enough.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” Stuart asked. Something had just gone very bad, and he knew that it wasn’t his fault. He hoped. He looked at Tyler, and the younger boy’s face was utter confusion, knowing that Mom was angry but not why.

Acting immediately, Elusive grabbed the boys in his TK and said to her in a pleading voice, “Please don’t do this, DJ. She is still my mother – and even if you’re loath to admit it, yours as well.”

DJ looked at him and there was a rage in her eyes that he’d never thought he’d see on a pony face. Though ponies, like any sapient creature, were capable of anger, hate, rage and spite, they were still at their core beings bound by their ancestral, pastoral past as herd animals and always chose the softer path. But DJ had grown up amongst humans, who showed aggression even when they didn’t intend to and whose mental frameworks were always set to fight as opposed to fleeing. And what he saw in that face was not an angered mare, but a human woman in pony form, filled with pain, rage and a fury that had finally reached its nadir.

“I hope you will do the right thing,” he said sadly, and despite the boys’ protests, he gently but firmly ushered his nephews out as the trio walked through the threshold, departing the room.


DJ looked dully at the spot where Elusive had been just a second before, and it broke her heart. Would he forgive her when he found out what she was going to say? I’ll lose him as well, she thought to herself, just as I’d gained him. But a red-hot spike of rage entered her heart and she mentally snarled, But if I do, I’ll know exactly who to blame. And eyes blazing with fury, she wheeled on her feet to face her foe, commencing the eternal clash once more.

“Let’s get something straight right here and now, you Goddamn cunt: if you ever insult my children again, I swear to God I will rip off your head and shit down your neck, got that? How dare you call my children ungrateful selfish brats?”

Rarity didn’t understand half of what Sandalwood had said, but she knew an insult when she heard one – and she knew when she had an opening she could use. “Obviously you didn’t hear a single thing I said, did you? You’re the selfish, ungrateful brat, not them! But I shouldn’t be surprised you don’t understand how insults work, because the biggest insult I see here is you and your constant betrayal of your own species! If you had ever thought to act like the pony you are, you could have actually been somepony! Married somepony of import! Had a cutie mark that would have given you advantages you could never dream of! But I’m willing to bet you’re still a pointless blank flank, aren’t you?”

“Are you fucking stupid? I was already a fucking celebrity back home, even before I became a novelist! I don’t want to be famous! I just want to have a normal life! But nooooooooo – you keep insisting I have to have a pony life! Well guess fucking what? Never going to happen, too fucking late! I like who I am, I like what I am and I am nothing without that! And you can keep your damn cutie marks – I want nothing to do with those little slave brandings!”

“I’d say you’re nothing now, you…you…harridelle!” Rarity fumed, completely shocked and, truth be told, hurt: her own flesh and blood, her oldest foal, now and forever denying her heritage right to the fashionista’s face.

“Harridelle, nothing! I’m a bitch, and proud of it – certainly not this fucking harridelle shit you keep bringing up! If you’re going to toss epithets, get it straight, you cunt!”

“Get what straight? You have zero sense of what is straight and what is not!” Rarity countered. “Had you been raised properly, you would have some sense of decorum – and I see you didn’t learn even the basics of that!”

“Let me make this clear: you don’t have the right to tell me how to live my life!” DJ seethed. “Even if I’d spent my life under your jackboot, you still wouldn’t have the right to tell me how to live my life!”

“You’re just as ungrateful as I expected you to be, Sandalwood,” the white unicorn said, equally angry.

“My name isn’t Sandalwood – get that through your thick head!”

“Like it or not that is your name, you ungrateful little filly! You were named after your grandmother, not that you seem to care at all about your real family! I hope you’re pleased with yourself; you drove mine and Silversteel’s parents to early graves because of your disappearance. You have no respect for the life that Silversteel and I gave you and you have no respect for your heritage whatsoever! If I were in your hooves, I’d be ashamed of myself for the way I’ve acted!”

“Why, because I didn’t provide you the chance to arrange an advantageous marriage or something? Because I didn’t have some choice stallion of yours fuck me from behind and me spit out kids a year later?” DJ walked right to the barrier, and everyone not directly involved in the argument gasped; the humanized pony was letting her anger get the better of her and was about to directly risk her life; fortunately, Mike pulled her back before she took another step.

“Daisy Jo, I think that’s quite enough,” Anna said, trouble building in her voice. She looked at Matt, and though he hadn’t said anything either, she could see the anger in her husband’s face as well. And just from watching Mike’s body language, he could see that he wasn’t any happier about this, either.

“Rarity, I think you’ve pushed things as well,” Twilight said at nearly the same time, wrapping a magic spell around her friend in order to pull her back if need be. The unicorn mage turned to look at Applejack for assistance in case she needed help corralling the fashionista. They would have relied on Rainbow Dash as well, but unfortunately – or thankfully, depending on the thoughts – she was still down for the count.

“No, I think something needs to be said,” an indignant Rarity said to her sister before turning to face DJ.

“I HATE YOU,” the woman said to the mare, and the mare to the woman, at the same time. If either had really taken the time to notice, either pony could have noticed the streaming tears of rage and pain in their eyes.

Rarity was faster to react. “What…did you say?”

“I hate you. I’ve never hated anyone or anything before in my life…until now. You tell me I have no respect for my name or heritage? You have never given any respect for my mother and father, who I completely and totally—! You might have given birth to me, but it was they who gave me life! I AM DAISY JO MARTINEZ, AND I AM THEIR DAUGHTER!” she roared, motioning angrily in the direction of her parents before she gestured furiously towards the pony. “And you hate me? You called me here! And if the only reason you called me here was to tell me that, guess what? I don’t give a flying fuck, got that? I have no fucks to give! The store is completely sold out of fucks!

“And if you want to know the truth about biological parenthood? Fine, I’ll tell you!” She looked at Twilight and Applejack, and DJ’s eyes calmed down immediately, taking on a sad cast. “The truth is…Twilight, I’ve always wished it was you that was my biological mother. Or you, AJ. Or Sweetie. Someone I know that actually loves me and actually wants the best for me, not just trying to put a spin on their own designs.”

Twilight felt both joy and sorrow at the same time; she didn’t need to have the Elements with her to know AJ felt the same or Sweetie would have, if she’d heard it. She also knew that the humanized pony’s words were meant to hit Rarity hard under the stifle. Twilight looked at the three humans; the looks on their faces indicated that while they knew DJ had felt like this, they weren’t happy about her decision to fight as dirty as possible.

But regardless, it was something that Twilight had to address, and take care of immediately. “I…I don’t know what to say, DJ. Certainly, you’ve been like a daughter to me at times, but…I’m not the one you should be saying this to,” the unicorn said, a touch of sorrow in her voice.

“It doesn’t make it any less true, Twilight,” the humanized pony responded. “You’ve been there for me through thick and thin and that’s what it means to be a parent.”


Rarity fought back the tears. Those words. They hurt. Why? Sandalwood had all but given up on her for those human thieves, and she knew she wasn’t going to win over them, not over a lifetime of brainwashing. So why did she turn to a pony for a mother figure…and that it was the pony Rarity least expected?

The white unicorn didn’t know what to say. Yes, she and Twilight had numerous problems over the years, but when push came to shove, she very much did love Twilight like a sister, even after all was said and done. But now this final insult – and yet, seeing the look on Twilight’s face, hearing the surprise in her voice, she hadn’t expected it either.

Which meant in the end…Rarity’s oldest daughter was finally and totally dead. And faced with that knowledge, Rarity broke down and cried for the loss of what she’d wanted more than anything else in the world: her daughter to return to her.


It was a hell of a climb, and even with all the rock climbing Sam had done in his spare time – hell, the week before he arrived in Equestria, he’d done the Haiku Stairs, just to prove to his sergeant who was ‘No Ka Oi’ in the station. But that was just a near-vertical climb up 2800 feet of sheer mountainside. This, this was all that, without a net – without unicorns who gave a damn off to rescue some girl who decided to pick the most inconvenient place possible to commit suicide.

Finally feeling as though his arms were about to give out, he pushed himself onto the top ledge of the tower, gasping, “Don’t do it! Hell, if you jump, don’t make me chase you down, okay?”

She looked at him, and suddenly he found himself looking at the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen. She looked younger than him by a few years, strawberry blonde hair, deep blue eyes and dressed very casually in that neo-hippie phase DJ went through in her later high school years. Sam would have been rendered breathless had he not already been in that state; even still, it was amazing to see someone like her here in Equestria. Even still, there was a deep wrenching sorrow in those eyes, the kind that tore the most fragile of people apart.

She looked at him, then down at the ground and then realized what he was saying. “You mean that…you thought I was…?”

He nodded, collapsing on the ledge while gathering his breath. “Look,” he gasped, “whatever the problem is, it’s not worth it, okay? There’s always an answer, but death ain’t it, lady, not here in this place.”

She pursed her lips. “Well, I wasn’t about to kill myself, if that’s what you mean, though it’s very kind of you to worry about me.” She looked down and said sadly, “And any one of them could have done something to help me and yet…it was you, just a human, who came up to help me.”

“Just a human?” he asked, not getting it.

“Sorry…I….” She laughed and covered her hand to hide her embarrassment; it was cute, he noticed. She shook her head and said, “Sorry, work gets to me, sometimes. I…work in the palace, so I come up here to take breaks.”

“Okay, that makes sense,” he said, having gathered enough of his breath to move to a seated position. He looked at his shirt, seeing the white dress shirt now stained from the ivy he used to climb up. “Crap, this shirt’s ruined.”

She smiled sweetly. “Well, for what it’s worth, it’s nice to have a knight in shining armor, or at least an ivy-stained shirt, come to my rescue. So I’m in your debt.”

He grinned. “Hey, part of the job. I’m a cop.” He shrugged, adding, “Well, I’m a cop back home. I’m on vacation at the moment.”

“Still, I appreciate it. None of them below would have lifted a hoof for me,” she said, sadly.

“I wonder what her majesty would say if she knew that?”

“She knows – the subject’s been brought up numerous times. The Equestriani nobility, for the most part, are incredibly specist and elitist. She hoped that things would change with the ties to Human-Earth, but…maybe ponies and humans aren’t meant to be together.”

“That’s a lie,” he said, a little too sharply. “Look…that’s just not true. My sister…my sister is DJ Martinez. She’s the Alien Girl – or Lost Foal, if you want to use the pony term, though she’s never liked that, and it’s taken her a long time to get used to being called a ‘pony.’ But even though she was raised human and is for all intents and purposes one, at the end of the day she’s still got a tail, hooves and fur. But she’s bridged the gap between ponies and humans. She’s married to a human, he’s a great guy, and they have the most adorable boys. So I take it personally when anyone says ponies and humans aren’t meant to be together, because I know from personal experience that all it takes is just understanding and love.”

“I…see. Well, I apologize for insulting you, officer.”

Sam waved it off. “No, that’s okay. DJ’s my older sister and looked out for me my whole life; least I can do is the same in return.”

“If only they could understand,” she said, looking down at the ponies below. “But I think they won’t, and I think it’s going to take the horrors of what may soon come for them to even get that.”

“If that happens, then that happens. Sometimes you have to go through a lot to truly appreciate what you have.”

“That’s certainly true,” she said enigmatically as she continued to look in the direction of the mid-day sun, and the intricate elitist workings of the western neighborhoods of Canterlot. As for Sam, he just sat there and enjoyed the view, not sure what to do next – but definitely not going down the same way he came up.


“You know, when you said that you got us into some fancy digs,” Paul said, the look on his face one of wonder, “I hadn’t thought that you meant we were staying as guests of one of the princesses! I don’t think I’m ready for this.”

Lyra laughed. “Cadance is a very old friend of mine – she used to be my foalsitter when I was Ovie’s age, and she’s always been there for me. Besides, she recently adopted a foal, and she’s going to need some help, so it’s the least I can do.”

“And here I thought you almost as old a—” he started to joke, but a glare from his wife made him quiet down. “Lyra, you know I’m kidding.”

“I know,” she said with a smile. “And I love you despite your lousy sense of humor.” Changing the subject, she said, “Cadance had the rooms the kids are going to use swept clean of anything that could easily break an—” She, in turn, was suddenly interrupted as a magical letter appeared in the air. The scroll never landed for Lyra to read, nor did it leave the shimmering magenta pouch of magic that ensorcelled it. Instead, it turned into ash that floated into the air before forming words:

LYRA, HELP DJ – TWI

The ashes then scattered into nothingness, before the field of magic disappeared with a pop as it literally obliterated the space that it had been in, the air rushing to fill the vacuum. Considering the destruction of the note without leaving the safety of the barrier, there was only once place it could have come from – and one place the humanized pony could be.

“Paul, I’ve gotta go,” she said suddenly. “Watch the kids.”

“DJ? She’s here?” he asked.

“Yeah. And if Twi’s asking for my help, it means that DJ just went hoof-to-hoof with Rarity…and the results weren’t pretty.” With that, she focused a teleportation spell and jumped towards the Royal Infirmary. She didn’t have the teleportation distance a Guild-trained mage could come up with, but it was faster than walking and it was clear her friends needed her, something that Lyra understood all too well.


Silence reigned for an uncomfortable moment between DJ and Rarity and one moment became two. Then three. Four.

Finally, the humanized pony spoke. “I’m done. I…I just can’t do this,” DJ said, feeling spent and drained. She looked to Mike, then her parents, and she knew she’d disappointed them all. “I’m…I can’t do this. I’m leaving.” Turning back to Twilight and Applejack, she said, “I’ll call, or I’ll email you everday, or…something, I promise. But…I tried. I….” She turned, waving goodbye without looking at them, walking back towards the blue barrier and the trip back to the normal part of the Infirmary.

Mike, Matt and Anna looked at each other helplessly; none of them were pleased that DJ nearly lost complete control of herself, but it was clear that she tried to make up with Rarity, and that the gap was too wide. The three didn’t know what to say.

It was Spike who finally put words to voice: “I wish this had turned out better, I really hoped it would. But maybe…maybe there’s just too wide a gulf to cross now.”

“Rares, if’n y’ don’t try t’ make up with DJ, then y’re nuthin’ but a two-bit nag.” The tone of Applejack’s voice was low and angry, hurt and disappointed. “We watched Fluttershy an’ Apple Bloom lose their foals – is that whut y’ really want?”

“Rarity, if you don’t say something now, she won’t ever come back and you’ll regret this for the rest of your life.” The lavender unicorn sighed, adding, “I saw how you reacted to the boys. You saw something there, didn’t you?”









“Don’t go.” The words were released from Rarity’s mouth before she even realized it.









“Excuse me?” DJ turned around.

“I said, don’t go, Sandalwood. Please.

DJ made a downward slashing motion with her left arm. “And that’s Strike Three, folks! Batter’s out!” She continued to walk towards the barrier.

“Please, don’t go. Please,” Rarity said. Something was building in her. She wasn’t sure what it was. She didn’t love what Sandalwood had become, and it was clear that Sandalwood would never return to the way she was. But her grandfoals…maybe there was still time to get to know them, to erase the brainwashing those thieves had done and to save them, turn them into proper humans who understood what ponydom was all about.

DJ turned, impassivity etched in her face. Twilight knew that was the sign of when a relationship was finally severed: not because somepony was angry enough to leave, but when they just no longer cared. “Why?”

“Because…because it shouldn’t end this way. Because even if you hate me, even if you refuse to admit who you are, you are still my foal. You may have been raised by somepony else in a way I’ll never accept, but you are still my daughter – you cannot change blood.”

“Are you familiar with the term ‘blood is thicker than water’?” DJ said, turning. “In modern times, it means that the blood of family is thicker than mere water. But did you know that when the Romans coined it, it meant that the blood of alliances – spilled blood of brothers in arms – was thicker than the water of the womb, of birth? That means that all the blood my adopted parents have spilled for me would be more than however long you spent in pregnancy and birth. So guess which version I’m thinking applies to me?”

“Sandalwood, you should care about your birth family!” Rarity cried.

“I do – I have a younger brother that I love, and Elusive loves me. That’s all I need to know,” DJ snarled. “But as for you, give me one good reason why I should bother.”

“I’ll give you a good reason,” Twilight piped in. DJ looked at her, and there was earnestness in the unicorn’s face. “Because I want you to prove that you’re a better mare…no, woman than she gives you credit for.”

“Twilight, how could you?” Rarity whispered under her breath, but considering how quiet the room was, it was fairly audible. In response, Twilight’s horn lit briefly and Rarity’s eyes grew sleepy seconds before she collapsed to the floor.

“Take her back to her bed,” she instructed Applejack, who grinned at Twilight’s solution. As she did that, Twilight looked at DJ. “DJ, as much as I’m disappointed in you and furious at her, Rarity’s right – it shouldn’t end this way. And that’s why I honestly hope you’ll take this chance to try to mend fences. You might not be able to forgive and I know you certainly won’t forget, but…you came here, despite your fears. And you didn’t just come here for me, no matter what you want to say. I know that.”

DJ wanted to be angry. She wanted to rage, to scream, to snarl – to be human in the most negative and violent senses of the word. But not to Twilight. Never Twilight. So instead she commented, “What do you want me to do?”

“I’d like you to try to work things out with Rarity; to give her another chance. But don’t do it for me, or yourself. Do it for your sons. You haven’t known the Rarity we have, and though it’s impossible to believe right now, she is the Bearer of Generosity for a reason. They deserve to know her at her best. So do you, but you’re an adult and you have to decide that much for yourself.”

DJ was silent for the longest time. She looked at no one else save Twilight. “I was serious about what I said earlier, Twilight.”

“I know, and that means a lot to me, but the fundamental structure of reality can’t be changed so easily. I am not a mother, and Rarity gave birth to you, not me. I may have been a maternal figure to you, and that means a lot to me, but I was just as much one to you as Celestia was to me.”

DJ sighed; she could never be angry when it came to Twilight. “For them,” she said, a pained smile coming onto her face. “And for you. Because I don’t expect you to give up and sacrifice yourself, got that?”

Twilight grinned. “How could I? I have a family that seems to fall apart every time I get tied up with something.” DJ grinned eagerly this time, the situation defused for the moment and Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. “So, will we see you again before you go home?”

She shook her head, a tiny bit of a smile creeping onto her face. “I have some news for you.” She then explained Mike’s promotion and new assignment and the fact that they’d have to be looking for a new home in Canterlot.

“I think I have just the place,” Twilight said, a smile cracking onto her own face. “It was my parents’ old home in Northside, long before it became the so-called ‘human district.’ It needs a little, uh, updating to modern standards, but I’ve never been able to part with it since they passed on and I’d rather give it to somepony in the family than sell it.” She turned to Spike. “You remember where I keep the keys, right, my number one assistant?”

Spike’s eyes started to water at Twilight’s utterance of the nickname she’d given him so very long ago. His sister was alive again, not wanting to give up. Twilight had something to live for, and even if it was just a Sisyphean attempt to make DJ and Rarity reconcile, it was reason enough. “Always,” he said, wiping his eyes.

“Then call some plumbers, electricians and the usual and have them put it on House Shetland’s bill.” She turned back to DJ, saying, “Call it a homewarming gift.”

DJ smiled warmly. “Only if you’re coming by for dinner first chance you get.”

“Count on it.”


Sam and the woman walked down the long spiral staircase towards the underground passage. As they reached the point concurrent with the actual groundline, Sam noted some work on installing an actual floor, the first workings of an elevator platform and the door that should have been there to begin with. “So, modifications are already in progress?” he asked.

She nodded slightly. “They are. The Ministries of Transportation and Commerce are heavily involved in this. From what I know, Margravine Brumby herself has been directly involved in the architectural planning and construction.”

“Margravine Brumby? Not familiar with the name, obviously.”

“Oh, that’s Lady Apple Bloom, Vice Minister of Transportation and the Head of the Civil Works Directorate. Even though she comes from a farming family, she’s got quite the eye for civil engineering, so I’m told, and spends most of her time overseeing that.”

“I see,” he said. “I think I may have met her once at DJ’s wedding, but that’s about it, really. Only one of DJ’s birth family that I’m really familiar with is Spike, and that’s because he’s a friend of mine.”

The two continued down the stairs for three more stories underground before they arrived at the underground passage. The pathway, well lit from what appeared to be magically-embued lights, forked about ten feet off. “Well…to get to the surface, you need to take the left corridor,” the woman explained. “The right leads back to the main portion of the castle. But, thanks again for saving me, Mr. Police Officer. I very much appreciate it.”

“A pleasure to save a pretty girl,” he said with a grin and a half-bow. “Name’s Sam, by the way. Sam Martinez.”

She flashed him a smile back. “I know who you are; we’ve met before, though I look a little different currently. I’m…well, you might not believe this, but…I’m Celestia.”

He did a double-take at her words. “As in Princess Celestia?”

She nodded; as proof, she touched his shirt and after a flash of light, it was clean again – and fit better as well; a snap of her fingers, and his coat and tie were back, and those, as well as his pants, fit better. “There – all cleaned up.”

He bowed much more formally this time. “I’m sorry, your majesty, I had no ide—”

She gave him a smile. “Please don’t; I’m not one for formality. And as for the human disguise, well, I just need to get away sometimes from my personal problems from time to time and…let’s just say that while I’m not pleased that my nobleponies wouldn’t lift a hoof to save a human in danger, it does afford me some time to be by myself.”

“Well, what could be so troublesome to the princess herself that it you need to get away from it all?” he asked.

“It’s a long story.” Inwardly, she started cringing; she couldn’t exactly say, Well, I’m in love with your brother-in-law, and your sister, who is my niece and who I also care about, is potentially a rival. And yet she’d admitted to a problem that etiquette would require her to say something.

Fortunately, he misunderstood and said, “Shakespeare once wrote that ‘heavy is the head that wears the crown’ or something like that, so it’s probably well beyond my paygrade to fix. But if you’ll forgive me for prying, your majesty, the look in your eyes earlier wasn’t one of just mere frustration.”

“Please, just call me Celestia,” she said, and suddenly she realized he’d unintentionally brought up an issue she could mention. “The problem I’m having is with the nobility. You saw them for yourself, and their attitudes. The majority of unicorns have always had a streak of arrogance and conceit because they could do what the other pony tribes – and in many cases, even the other species of this world – could only dream of. But since the interlinking of our two worlds, they’ve felt threatened by human advances and technology, which can do things they couldn’t even imagine.

“Furthermore, the unicorn nobility has never been happy with the economic and social rise of the other two tribes; they’ve been very less than thrilled with me as I’ve created new noble houses that have nothing to do with the unicorn tribe. The Bearers aside, they’ve never looked well at dedicated and loyal but non-unicorn nobles like Apple Bloom or Spitfire or Spike. More than once I’ve been tempted to dismantle the aristocracy, but there are other ponies who truly engender the best qualities and should be rewarded as such.

“But we’ve had reports lately about a pony supremacist organization called the Purehooves and their plans to rid Equestria of non-ponies. I shudder to think of what they would do to someone in my family like Spike, or any of those who have been loyal to the Crown, simply because they’re not ponies. And this will all be exacerbated should we actually go to war with Iran.”

Sam nodded. “Sounds like you need someone who can be present in the noble areas to show the best of humanity. Sure, I know about the FiMPro project, but that’s an over-the-summer thing that makes everyone think cheery thoughts about human performers so long as they can stay where they belong when FiMPro isn’t going on,” he said. “What you really need is a year-round approach to how they think about humans. Someone who can, as the saying goes, ‘rescue kittens out of trees and check on kids’ skinned knees.’”

“So then a year-round human organization in Equestria?”

“Well, more than just that. You mentioned that Equestria has a lot of non-pony species living here, but they’re not too well thought of either. Maybe if they had a more prominent role in Equestriani life, like part of a police force or something. All your sheriffs here are ponies, and while I don’t know if you have a national police force like the FBI….”

“We do,” Celestia said. “The Mage Guild has an investigative division that acts as one. But you’re right, they’re all ponies as well. So you think the answer is to have a human police force in Equestria?”

“No, I would have a mixed one, give role models to others who are growing up in Equestria but not pony,” he said. “Besides, too often, people think of blues as just a way to deter crime. But that’s not our only function – we’re also there to help foster community as well, and there might just be that one gryphon or something living in a small town in Equestria who sees a gryphon police officer and leans towards that instead of just wasting his life away.”

“I see.” There was a thoughtful look on her face. “I have to admit, that is a blind spot for everypony, including myself. I’d never thought of it that way, but you’re right, it could be a problem.”

“It’s a problem for humans as well, let me tell you. The US has only been working for the past century to really get over those issues, even though they were supposedly ‘solved’ the century before that. And there are still countries back on my world where that’s still a massive problem. Maybe if the AE nations started improving it, those countries might just do so as well.”

“That’s a good point,” she said with a smile. “So…how much would it cost me to lure you from your present duties?”

“You’re kidding, right?” he said, looking at her with confusion. “I, uh, hadn’t intended to turn this into a job interview.”

“But you’re correct. We could use a more non-pony presence, here in Equestria, and specifically a more non-unicorn presence in Canterlot. And as much as it pains me to admit it, we have other problems that are missed because of natural pony blind spots, things that other species will pick up in an instant. I think I need someone I can trust, and I’m sure you’re more than trustworthy, Sam. Plus, with your brother-in-law accepting an assignment here, I’m sure your sister will probably need others she trusts as well, since I know she has some issues about returning to Equestria on a more permanent basis.”

Sam shook his head. “She’s worried that someone in the government will force her and the boys to stay here against their will,” he blurted before he remembered who he was talking to. He immediately added a, “No offense.”

“None taken,” she replied. “And I would never let that happen, I told her as much around the time of the trial. But obviously she has those concerns, and they won’t go away easily, so perhaps if her younger brother lived here as well, maybe he could help calm her fears. Plus, on a more selfish note, everypony in my family, myself included, wants DJ and Rarity to reconcile. It would mean everything to me if they did, and I’ll use every trick in my arsenal to do so – including nepotism by hiring her little brother to be the Princess’ Hoof.”

“Princess’ Hoof?”

“I guess the human equivalent would be ‘King’s Hand’? It’s a position I’ve never really used, but I know the King of Griphonica has a group of his King’s Claws who deal with justice at the highest levels.”

“Well, I would love to accept, but I just bought a house in Mililani, so it’d be pretty hard to break my mortgage,” he said.

“Then I’ll give you a signing bonus to buy the house so you can use it as a vacation home or whatever,” she said smoothly. “Sam, I’m serious about this. You’re right about what you said, and I really do want what’s best for both DJ and Rarity. This dovetails things and it’s for the best, if you ask me.”

He was about to say something when his stomach growled. “What do you say we talk about this over lunch?”

“Sure, let’s head to the palace,” she said, transforming back into her normal self, “and—”

He shook his head. “You want this done right, we start from the beginning. Let’s head to lunch out in town. You and me, two humans. There’s gotta be a café around here that’ll accept us.”

She changed back and he thought she was lovelier than ever. “Well, if you insist….”

He grinned, winking. “I’m an expensive date.”

“I’ve got more money than the King of Britain, who’s supposedly the richest person on Human-Earth,” she said, laughing. “Well, there is this nice Zebrababwean place just off the corner of Royal Rise Boulevard and Suntravel Road.”


In the afternoon, Fluttershy came over to Pinkie’s place to have tea. It was a rare day off for both, and since they were both spending time in Ponyville, the two sisters decided to sit and spend time together talking. The twins had offered to help Mac with the farm, so they were currently there, making a mess of Sweet Apple Acres, and Rumble and Thunderlane were in the backyard having their own conversation.

“Do you think they made up?” Fluttershy asked; there was no need to clarify as to who she meant. Both had thought about going to the Infirmary today to lend support, but Twilight sent them notes at the last moment to keep clear, as she was concerned that DJ might feel undue pressure.

Setting down her glass of bubblegum soda, Pinkie flashed her old friend a grin. “Silly – of course they made up! Love always wins the day and Rarity really loves DJ even if she doesn’t want to admit it. A mother always loves her foals, no matter what.”

Fluttershy returned the smile, lifting her own teacup to her lips. “I think so, too. I want them both to be happy,” the yellow pegasus responded. “I just hope that DJ will be just as willing.”

“She will – she wants to be loved just as much as anypony,” Pinkie replied.

The two settled into the comfortable silence of two old friends chatting along, when Fluttershy’s attention suddenly focused out the window, seeing two stallions sitting on the porch, drinking and chatting. “So, you mentioned Rumble’s in town for a few weeks?”

Pinkie nodded. “Yup! Now I get to see which eligible mare I can fix him up with! Maybe Dolphin Dreams?”

“Dating.”

“Leafy Afternoon?”

“Married, pregnant with two foals.”

“Uh, Peach Blossom?”

“Moved to Norflank four months ago – and is in a relationship with another mare.”

“Silver Hammer?”

“In the middle of a bad divorce – I don’t think it’s safe to put any stallion in that situation right now.”

“Cappucino Spice?”

“Also married.”

“What about Zecora’s granddaughter? She’s still single, right?”

“Zadi? She’s lived on human-Earth for years now – and we haven’t seen her since she was twelve, so I think you’re reaching at this point.”

“Ugh.” Pinkie looked a bit deflated after that. “Well, a mare can try, can’t she?”


Meanwhile, sitting out on the patio and chatting over ciders, Thunderlane looked at his younger brother. “So Soarin’ made you take the month off, huh, little brother?”

Rumble looked fit to be tied. “Look, don’t rub it in, okay? I should be out there fighting the good fight, especially since we’re on the brink of war. Too many good stallions and mares might be in danger because the Iranians pulled shit and the sooner I bring the fight to them, they’re not bringing it to us, like they did with Cloudsdale.”

Thunderlane said nothing; most of his time as head of the local weather facility was spent lately handling his own duties while helping with the reconstruction of the Central facility – there’d been a report of a tornado outside of Oatmaha yesterday, the first time in recorded history that happened, and it was a miracle that it was in an unpopulated part of the region. It was only going to get worse if they didn’t get the central facility back up to speed, and this was going to be the first break in a while that he was going to have.

Unaware of his brother’s thoughts, Rumble continued. “There was this one point where I had one of the bastards bracketed, and just before I took him down—”

Thunderlane nearly choked on his drink. “You killed somepony?”

“Yeah,” the younger pegasus said glumly, “but not before he waxed Petty Officer Eckerland. I keep blaming myself that I should have pulled that trigger faster, but if I did, I know I would have missed the shot and then there’d be that dead human and me, and that tango would’ve lived to take out more of us. Thing is, I waxed the tango, and I hope that Eckerland’s resting in peace in the Great Pasture or whatever the humans believe in. But that’s not the point – the point is that I’m stuck here for a month and I need to be out on the field instead of here. Don’t get me wrong, bro: I love you, Pinkie and the twins to death, but I need to be there risking my neck so the bad guys don’t come on and stomp on us. I’m not so old that I don’t remember what happened to Canterlot during the changeling invasion.”

Thunderlane looked at his younger brother, than sighed. “You really, really need a fillyfriend. Look, you’re here for thirty days, you may as well take the time to relax and spend time with family, and go out and meet some mares. You might just find somepony special.”

“Only thing special I need is my MN-23E.”

“Okay, that’s kinda creepy, little bro. I’m just asking you how will you know what you’re fighting for if you don’t know about it personally? Sure, you’ve got your family, and me, Pinkie and the foals will always be here for you, but I want you to find that special somepony of your own and settle down. You remember when you used to tease me all the time when I was dating Blossomforth way back when, right? You need to learn what it’s like to have that kind of special mare at your side to be teased right along with you.”

Rumble shrugged. “Maybe you’re right. There was a filly once that I was interested in. Maybe I should look her up and see if she’s still available.”

“There’s the spirit, Rumble! Trust me, when this vacation’s over, you’ll have a mare at your side and eager to go back out there and….”

“Look, I don’t kill all the time, bro.”

“I hope not, Rumble. I sincerely hope not.”


Lyra had just completed her last teleport, popping into existence in front of the initial red barrier when DJ walked out of it, looking like five miles of bad road.

“Lyra?” she said, her eyes completely watering. The celeste mare simply went over and embraced the younger one as DJ slipped into Lyra’s embrace, crying.

“It’s okay, DJ, I’m here for you,” the unicorn said. She then saw Mike and the others come out of the quarantine zone, and she asked Mike, “I’m guessing things didn’t go that well, did they?”

“No, they didn’t,” Mike admitted. “But I’m glad to see you. DJ and Rarity…truthfully, they were at each other’s throats and it took Twilight to get them to see some sort of reason. There’s a truce right now, but that’s the best way I can describe it, if that makes sense.”

“I see,” Lyra answered as she continued to hold DJ. Pulling back from the embrace, Lyra looked at DJ and said, “You might not want to hear this, but that was incredibly brave of you, DJ, and I mean that. When I was younger, I stopped speaking to my father because he didn’t want to accept my relationship with Bon-Bon. He felt that as a pony in a nowhere town, all it was going to do was destroy my chances for a future. He wanted me to marry some noblestallion he’d arranged a marriage with, but he didn’t know that I was already on the outs with Canterlot society because of my research. Needless to say, I wasn’t going to let anyone ruin my happiness with Bonnie and we married…and then my Pops never spoke to me again; actually, my whole family, save for Harper disowned me. I didn’t see him again until his funeral, about a decade after Bonnie and I were married.

“I’ve never really forgiven myself for that; maybe if we spoke, he could have lived long enough to see me marry Paul and have my kids,” she said sadly. “But I’m glad you’ll never have to go through that.”

“Then why do I feel like I’ve done something terrible?” DJ sobbed into her friend’s shoulder. “Why does it hurt?”

“Because that’s what mending hearts do, DJ. It’s why I felt the way I did for a long time after my divorce, and why Paul felt so numb for a long time after his fiancée had been killed. Of course it’s going to hurt, or else how would you know that you ever felt anything? You remember how you felt when you found out you couldn’t marry Mike after college because he had to be stationed in the Middle East, right?” She nodded, and Lyra smiled, running a hoof over DJ’s hair. “When you love and you love truly, it always hurts when things go south. Somehow, I think you wanted to be accepted by Rarity, even if you didn’t think so.”

“But how? She never raised me – she’s not my mother.”

“You know that’s not true: she is your mother. She’s always been your mother. All you know are these past twenty years of rejection and silence, but that’s not the whole story. You didn’t see those years she cried to have you back; you weren’t there to know the endless nights Rarity hoped you would come back, all the nights she cried herself to sleep because of your absence, all the sacrifices she made to try to get you back before we found Human-Earth.”

The celeste unicorn let go of the humanized pony and smiled. “Wipe your eyes, DJ, and be proud of your accomplishment today. You’re a special woman: you’ve always been loved, no matter what. And you will always have me, just as you have the others.”

“Thanks, Lyra. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Lyra smiled. “Hey, I’m just like you; I just came late to the party – I’m more human than pony now it seems, and we girls gotta stick together, right?”

“Yeah.” DJ wiped her eyes. “You’re right.”

“I know I’m right. Now, why don’t you go back to Twi’s, go hug your sons and tell them how much their mother loves them and how everything will be okay.” She then looked up at Mike and grinned. “And you need to do the same. She loves you and needs you now. Things are going to be harder for her than ever.”

“Don’t worry, Lyra, I will,” Mike promised.

“Good,” she said, patting him on the arm as Spike, Matt and Anna came out of the red barrier. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go schmooze a little with Spike and DJ’s parents, then go visit some old friends – I have to give Twilight some grief about giving up prematurely. But afterwards, Paul and the kids are in town, so maybe we can do something, okay?”

“Count on it,” he told her. “Thanks again.” Mike waved her off as she walked off to great the others, glad to have her as a friend. He then looked down at his wife and how miserable she appeared. By all rights, he should’ve been pissed at her again for her reckless near-risking of her and their sons’ lives, and yet he couldn’t do so – he knew she’d been absolutely through hell. So instead he put her arms around her and said, “You know, did I ever tell you about this girl I dated when I was in high school? Headstrong as hell, but also could be brave at times when the situation came for it.”

As always, she leaned into him, feeling his frame against hers and she whinnied softly as she always did when she was in his arms. “I’ll bet she was a total bitch,” DJ said with a grin.

“Maybe, but I loved her then and all these years later, I love her still.”

“Well, a girl would be lucky like that to have a guy who loved her all these years,” she said as she looked up at him, love in her eyes.

“Maybe.” The smile on his face was golden and he bent down to kiss her.


How long did y’ say that spell wuz fer?” Applejack asked.

“I was a bit stressed, AJ,” Twilight said, shrugging with a blush of embarrassment dusting her face. “Don’t worry, she’ll be back to normal in the morning, I promise.”

AJ shook her head. “Y don’ understand, Twi.”

“No, I do understand,” the unicorn said to the earth pony, nuzzling her. “And I hope this is just the start.”

The pair looked at Rarity, fast asleep due to Twilight’s impromptu spell. Since the day they’d all been infected the disease, it hit the four hardest when they were asleep probably due to its tie to Nightmare Moon, leaving their faces showing the contortions of pain they felt when the disease ravaged them. But not tonight. For the first time since their trials began and their failed and nearly fatal battle against Nightmare Moon, a wide smile was on the sleeping face of Rarity.

The white unicorn’s sisters watched with tears of joy as the fashionista slept the first peaceful night in perhaps a long, long time.


Four in the morning. The room was dark, and Twilight Sunburn shivered. She knew she was going to wake up at any moment and find that this was all a dream, that she’d be back in Gloaming’s hooves and they’d kill her for being herself. For daring to ever be something beyond a tool. And every night somehow, it hadn’t happened? Was any of this real? Did her life really change?

The door suddenly came open with a creak and the pepsis’ eyes tore open with fright. This was the moment where her life would go back to hell, she knew. This was the moment where Blood Armor would impale her vitals and laugh for her chance at being a normal pony with a normal life, and Gloaming would bathe in her blood, relishing every bit of the tragic humor. And all Twi—

“Twilight, sweetie, get some sleep,” Faust said as she crawled into the bed to embrace the frightened mare. “No one will ever hurt you again, and you can’t be strong for Twilight Sparkle if you can’t be strong for yourself. So you need to rest, okay?” The woman reached over and kissed the mare on the forehead. “I’ll stay with you tonight, if you want.”

Twilight nodded softly, and with that, both females went back to sleep, the soft moonlight of a Belgian evening streaming into the room.

It was the first restful night of sleep Twilight Sunburn had ever had in her life.

PreviousChapters Next