• Published 8th May 2012
  • 7,965 Views, 1,390 Comments

Antecedent - Anonymous Pegasus



Raindrop needs to reunite the Elements of Harmony to cure herself of her affliction. But the journey will become so much than the destination.

  • ...
26
 1,390
 7,965

Interim

“You seriously intend to alter past events?” Celestia asked, a slight frown visible on her face.

The princess was bound in place by a sticky green resinous substance that the changelings had produced, immobilising her at her hooves, and encasing her horn, preventing her from performing magic.

“Indeed,” Chitin stated dismissively, looking down at the Elements of harmony. All six of them lay before her, spread out on a white cotton sheet. They were still grey and stony, inactive.

“And how do the Elements of Harmony factor into this?” Celestia queried, perking an ear.

“I intend to use them as foci, to increase the range of the time magic. It has been many years,” Chitin replied calmly.

Celestia nodded gently. “Indeed it has. Many years have passed.”

Chitin didn’t respond, looking down at the elements, and then dragging a book closer to herself, reading from the pages.

“You understand that time magic is a dangerous thing, yes?” Celestia asked, a note of worry in her tone.

“I understand the risks,” Chitin said with a wave of a hoof.

“And yet you would still risk your life for Chrysalis?” Celestia asked, frowning deeply.

“I will rectify her mistake. And we will be together again as Queen and Servant,” Chitin stated calmly. “Testing my conviction is pointless.”

“But why now?” Celestia asked after a moment. “When you have had the elements in your possession for so long?”

“I did not have your library at my disposal, and I intend for you to help me, princess,” Chitin replied with an eerie grin.

Celestia snorted, shaking her head. “I will not help you in this.”

“I’m afraid you don’t have much choice,” Chitin responded calmly. “If you help me go back... then much of what has transpired between our two races can be erased.”

“The past is not to be meddled with,” Celestia stated flatly. “Good rarely comes of it.”

“I’m afraid that that is not up to you,” Chitin scowled, waving her hoof again. She tapped her hoof rather firmly against the floor, calling out, “Spike! Come!”

Celestia turned to the door, her eyes narrowing, watching as the young dragon ambled through and into the room, making his way over towards the changeling queen, casting a single furtive look toward Celestia.

“Spike...” Celestia murmured, her ears splaying.

“My Queen?” Spike asked, bowing slightly.

He had grown much since Celestia had last seen him. He was now as tall as a regular pony, but he should have been much larger.

“Activate the elements, if you will,” Chitin said, motioning towards the orbs.

Spike nodded, stepping past Chitin and stroking each orb in turn, causing it to glow and then shift, beginning to shine.

“Ahhh, so you use Spike to overcome the problem of the bearers. How clever,” Celestia stated.

Chitin gave a smug smile. “I believe that he has spent enough time around their previous bearers that he is capable of handling them.”

“Don’t attempt this, Chitin,” Celestia implored, shaking her head slowly. “I do not wish to see you hurt yourself.”

Chitin scowled, baring her teeth a moment. “Do not lie so brazenly to me, Celestia. I have the upper hoof here.”

“I am not lying,” Celestia rebuked, eyes narrowing on the Changeling Queen. “I wish for our two races to co-exist, if it is possible.”

“We will never co-exist when your kind views us as a parasite! Or an influence to be removed,” Chitin growled, waving her hoof dismissively. “Quiet your overactive mouth princess, I must concentrate.”

Celestia sighed and shook her head, looking up at Spike and Chitin, before laying her head on her bound hooves and closing her eyes, contenting herself to wait.


Stardancer was long gone by the time her cell door was opened. It had taken careful planning, or, as it were with her, careful forethought. Her first tool was a hairpin, pilfered from a guard as he slept after ‘accidentally’ slipping on a splat of saliva that had ‘somehow’ made it onto the floor where he was walking.

With a few careful twists, Stardancer was able to fashion the hairpin into exactly the right shape to hide along her windowsill, and with a few more quick twists, made it into an effective pressure tool. It took but a single twist and press to pop the window open, and allow her to squeeze out and into the cool afternoon air.

The second part of her plan was the faint morse code ‘S.O.S’ she had been ‘unconsciously’ tapping out on the floor with her hooves. It didn’t alert anyone to help her, but it did remind a certain orderly of his days in the Foal Scouts. It had made him distracted at home at a crucial moment, and he had seriously insulted his wife. As a kind of apology, he had scheduled a date with her that evening. He was too busy checking his watch and worrying about his coming ‘date’ to notice the faint sounds of Stardancer opening her window and slipping out of the building. And then, Stardancer was free.

By the time the orderlies noticed she was gone, it was far, far too late.

With a careful hiding of one of her tablets, and an afternoon of sheer torture as time itself poked at her brain, Stardancer had a single tablet to sate her insanity with once everything was over. Despite being able to see the future, her own future was muddled. She knew she needed to be at a palace, to modulate what was to come. She needed to be there to ensure that all the key points happened the right way, so that many hundreds of ponies didn’t die in the future she foresaw. But every time she looked ahead, events became impossible to view, because she was a part of them. By viewing her own future, she changed it. Her own future was never certain.

Pinning down her own future was like trying to hold onto a nightmare tentacle. It was constantly writhing and twisting. And no matter how hard she pinned it down, it writhed out of her grip and moved along a different path. By viewing her future, she automatically changed it. The one time she had tried to view her future, the one time she had really concentrated on it, she had blacked out. It had been three days before conscious thought returned to her.

A hard learned lesson.

So Stardancer didn’t try to anticipate this future. She contented herself with being able to steer it, by being there. She wasn’t certain on what would happen with her involvement, but she knew what would happen without it. And that was not something she could allow to happen.


Strange reflections shone all around the four ponies and the single griffon. The torch that Sentinel held cast a strange, flickering light over everything, causing strange shadows and pinpricks of light to dance across the walls of the cavern as the flame’s light bounced off the crystals. It was a surreal place, and strange. None of them had seen anything like it before.

“What do you think they needed all these crystals for?” Firebrand whispered.

“I have no idea,” Remedy admitted, her tone likewise hushed.

Wisp stared up at the pink crystals, glancing from one to the other. “Preeeeetty. Can I keep one? Pleeeease?”

Raindrop frowned a moment, shaking her head back at the griffin. “They’re bigger than your entire body. Don’t be silly.”

“But I’d polish it and love it and everything!” Wisp protested, giving a faint whine.

“The answer is no,” Sentinel said sternly.

Raindrop snuffed a laugh, nudging Sentinel’s neck with her hooves. “You’re going to make a great father one day,” she crooned.

“And you are going to emotionally traumatise any child you spend more than five minutes with,” Sentinel responded immediately, kissing Raindrop on her cheek.

“Awww, you’re just saying that,” Raindrop cooed, nudging the guard once and then pointing ahead with her nose. “I say we just fly over that gap. I’m sure me, you, and Firebrand can support Remedy across the gap.”

“Are you sure Firebrand won’t drop her?” Sentinel muttered, his voice low.

“By accident? No,” Raindrop said confidently, “On purpose though...”

“What’re you two mumbling about?” Remedy asked suddenly.

“We’re pondering on what design would work best to launch you across that chasm,” Raindrop said, pointing ahead. “What with you not having wings and all.”

“Trebuchet, I’d say,” Sentinel affirmed, nodding once. “But Raindrop here is partial to the old-fashioned catapult. I keep trying to tell her that the catapult has too high a flight angle, but will she listen? Noooo.”

“What.” Remedy snorted once, stamping a hoof. “I will not climb into medieval siege weaponry.”

“We’re going to fly you across,” Raindrop corrected with a shake of her head. “Geeze, gullible much?”

Remedy flustered a moment, while Wisp and Firebrand both giggled.

Remedy rounded on Firebrand, staring at her. “Did you just... giggle?”

“I did no such thing,” Firebrand stated with a shake of her head. “I gave a slight chuckle. I am not girly enough to giggle.”

“Enough!” Raindrop said, shaking her head slowly. “Firebrand. You’re not going to drop Remedy, are you?”

“Not on purpose,” Firebrand stated immediately. “...Unless I feel a particularly strong surge of dislike for her. But I tend to be able to control my murderous impulses.”

“Good enough for me,” Raindrop said, turning back to the chasm. “Not afraid of heights, are you, Remedy?”

Remedy snorted and tossed her mane. “I’ve slept on enough clouds in my time.”

“Very good, I’ll get the right, Firebrand can get the left. And Sentinel, you can fly underneath her to catch her if we fall. And if I catch you peeking at her, I’m going to feed you to Chitin myself, understood?” Raindrop asked.

“Yes, mistress,” Sentinel said, saluting with a grin.

The three pegasus moved into position around the earth pony. Remedy looked a little bit unsure about it all.

“Don’t worry, Remedy. It’s just like falling!” Wisp squeaked enthusiastically. “Falling without going anywhere!”

“That is so reassuring!” Remedy growled.

The nurse didn’t have time to say anything else, as Sentinel, Firebrand, and Raindrop all herded her towards the edge of the chasm, leaping out over it and taking hold of the earth pony, supporting her between them all across to the other side.

Wisp watched them go, head tilting to the side slightly.

As they landed on the other side, Raindrop caught Sentinel’s attention, and in a few moments, they had returned to get Wisp, ferrying her to the other side as well.

“Forgot I couldn’t fly, huh?” Wisp accused the two pegasi, casting her one-eyed gaze from one to the other.

Raindrop gave a nervous laugh. “Yeah, kinda. But we’re here now.”

“I was waiting for Raindrop to say something, honest,” Sentinel said with a nod.

Wisp giggled and shook her head, before pointing on ahead. “C’mon! The sooner we get into the castle, the sooner I can find something to blow up!”