• Published 8th May 2012
  • 7,967 Views, 1,390 Comments

Antecedent - Anonymous Pegasus



Raindrop needs to reunite the Elements of Harmony to cure herself of her affliction. But the journey will become so much than the destination.

  • ...
26
 1,390
 7,967

Relationships

Raindrop didn’t know how long she laid on the floor for. It could have been minutes, or it could have been hours. Even the sting of a mosquito at the inside of her ears didn’t bother her enough to get her up. She was just done. Her job on the weather patrol was secure. She could go back to that, but even that seemed hollow now. There was no ‘higher purpose’ to what she was doing. Ever since she graduated from Flight School, she had a set goal in mind. First it was being with Shine, and then even when problems came between them, like the inconvenience of her being a devil spawn, her new goal was to fix herself for him.

But he didn’t even care.

He had just brushed her aside like it was nothing. She wanted to be angry, to be violent and break things. But even that seemed too much effort. She would break things tomorrow, when she could actually muster up the wherewithal to care about anything.

“You look like your dog just died,” Sentinel said, from the doorway, peeking in past the chipped doorframe.

“What are you doing here?” Raindrop asked flatly, not even lifting her eyelids to stare at him.

“I got a note,” Sentinel said proudly, extending a hoof to present the folded piece of paper to her. “Some nurse found it tucked in sandwich, somehow. It was addressed to me, so she passed it on...said I’d find you here on it.”

“How utterly fascinating,” Raindrop stated, her tone indicating the exact opposite.

Sentinel stepped further into the cottage, carefully walking through the doorway, wings folded tight to his side so they didn’t brush against anything.

“Shouldn’t you be in hospital?” Raindrop asked, still with her eyes closed.

Sentinel shook his head, “Nope, I’m all clear. They let me go.”

Raindrop opened a single eye to peer up at him, and then snorted. “You snuck out, didn’t you?”

“Yep,” Sentinel admitted immediately, grinning and then sitting himself besides her, before dropping onto his stomach in the same position as she was. “Gotta admit, this black marble sure is comfy. And warm. I can see why you’d be so eager to lay across it.”

Raindrop felt the urge to growl at him, but just sighed faintly, shaking her head and remaining silent.

“Oh come now. Your dog didn’t really die, did he?” Sentinel asked seriously, peering at her sideways.

Again, the mare remained silent.

The guard pegasus frowned a moment, and then leaned sideways to kiss her cheek.

Again, Raindrop didn’t react.

Sentinel frowned deeply, and then rested a hoof on her forehead, checking her temperature, before humming thoughtfully to himself. “Not sick, not responding to overt advances... You need a hug.”

After his diagnosis, the guard pony shifted a little bit closer and pulled Raindrop into a hug.

Raindrop stayed limp in his hooves, unmoving, uncaring, eyes closed. She might as well have been dead, if not for her steady breathing.

“C’mon Raindrop, tell me what’s wrong?” Sentinel implored, raising a brow.

Raindrop remained silent again, and Sentinel awkwardly stroked her mane. “You know, I’m running out of options here. I’ve almost exhausted my supply for touchy-feely things for the entire year already.”

“He left me,” Raindrop spat, huffing and trying to roll away from her.

“Left you?” Sentinel asked, raising a brow. “Celestia told me you had a strained relationship with your boyfriend, when she was trying to get me to be all sympathetic towards you.”

Raindrop snorted at this information, shaking her head.

“Was it was one of those touchy-feely ‘I love you but we can’t be together’ things or a ‘I want you die in a pit of agony and fire and brimstone and fire’ things?” Sentinel asked, nudging her once with his nose in a reassuring way.

“The latter,” Raindrop stated flatly, her ears splaying as she shook her head.

“Need more hugs,” Sentinel stated calmly, pulling the pegasus against him and hugging her like a colt hugging a ragdoll. “This kinda works better when you hug me back and cry and say stuff like ‘it’s not fair’.”

Raindrop opened an eye to peer up at him, and then snorted derisively. “Do I have to?”

“It’d help,” Sentinel said with a slow nod, leaning down to kiss her nose gently. “See look, friend kiss.”

Raindrop shook her head, bopping him on the nose with her hoof, giving a weak smile. “You’re a goof.”

“And yet you say that in a good way,” Sentinel said with another nod, grinning at her and tilting his head to the side.

“So, what’s the real problem? From what I heard, your arrogant asshole of a boyfriend already made his mind up a fair while back,” Sentinel said knowledgeably.

Raindrop sighed faintly, deflating and leaning against the guard heavily. “I just... I don’t have a direction any more. I wanted to get the elements to fix myself. But now... There’s no point. Shine doesn’t want me back. And I don’t have any desire to fight a hydra. I just want to go curl up in a hole somewhere and sleep forever.”

“Sooo, basically every single guy on a saturday night?” Sentinel offered, an ear perking.

Raindrop shook her head, sighing faintly again. “You don’t understand.”

“I understand,” Sentinel said softly, nosing gently at her mane in a reassuring fashion. “You were doing all of this for that boyfriend of yours... And now he’s gone, and you’re not even sure why you should bother continuing with it all, what with the hydra’s and the assassin’s and the screaming and hurting and pain.”

“Why do your serious speeches come out sounding like something a colt would say?” Raindrop asked flatly, peering up at him.

“Because bland, unfunny humour is my way of coping with pressure,” Sentinel admitted with a shake of his head. “Not all of us have the liberty of being female and emotional and whatnot.”

“You expect me to go crying on your shoulder because I’m female?” Raindrop asked flatly, her eyes narrowing up at him.

Sentinel paused for a moment, mulled it over, and then nodded once. “You’ll be all brave and fight it off for as long as you can and then give in to it and have a good hearty cry.”

Raindrop snorted once, shaking her head. “I’m afraid I’m going to have to disappoint you.”

Sentinel raised a brow at that, his head canting to one side. “And what exactly is wrong with crying?”

“It’s girly,” Raindrop stated flatly, glowering at him. “What makes you think I’d do anything girly?”

“I dunno. The whole fact that you’re female might be a dead giveaway,” Sentinel said with a short nod.

Raindrop sighed, and shook her head slowly. “Will you just let it drop?”

“Probably not, no,” Sentinel said with a slow shake of his head. “What with you being all depressed and found all dejected-looking in what is, for all intents and purposes, the mausoleum holding your dead grandparents. Existential crisis and whatnot.”

Raindrop growled faintly, pushing her hoof against his chest. “I’m just sick of it. I don’t want to be a changeling, I didn’t ask to be a changeling, and I sure as hell don’t want to continue being one. But I am. And it cost me my coltfriend of a year. He just... Left me. I was doing all of this for him and he just threw me away like an old mug he doesn’t need any more.”

Raindrop continued to push on Sentinel’s chest with her hoof, her tone and demeanor angry, her ears splaying backwards and wings flexing angrily. “What does any of this even matter? Even if I get cured, I can’t go back to Shine. It’s just... Over. Everything I based my entire life on is over.”

Sentinel nodded, stroking a hoof soothingly down her form, making a soothing sound, letting the female rant.

“And all because that bitch lying up there in the bed decided to go make a bunch of half-breed babies with some stallion she met in the middle of nowhere,” Raindrop growled again, pushing on Sentinel’s chest with both hooves, before just burying her head against his shoulder and sobbing faintly. “It’s not fair.”

Sentinel made that soothing sound again, rubbing his muzzle against her cheek slowly. “I know, I know.”

“I just want it to be over. I want it to be done. I don’t want any part of it any more. I don’t want to go chasing the elements, or chasing after their bearers. I’ll go find a nice quiet cloud to myself and live all alone,” she spat, her ears splaying backwards as she sobbed against his shoulder. Her hooves tightened around him, and he sucked in a breath, wincing as her hooves tightened over his injured wings.

“There, there,” Sentinel soothed, nosing down against her mane gently. “Let it all out.”

“A-and you’re watching me cry,” Raindrop stated flatly against his shoulder, her ears pinning back flat against her skull.

“Who knew you had a heart?” Sentinel asked, raising a brow and then stroking a hoof through her mane reassuringly, leaning in to whisper, “I won’t tell anyone, promise.”

“I hate you,” Raindrop murmured wetly, shaking her head, and then hugging him fiercely, squeezing him tight.

Sentinel gave a muted gasp, and squirmed slightly at the grip she had on him.

“I swear, if you weren’t handsome, I’d rip you into little pieces,” Raindrop stated, laying her head against his chest.

“There’s the Raindrop I know and love,” Sentinel said in a strained tone, grinning down at her.

“Go throwing the ‘L’ word around like that again and I will tear you into little pieces,” Raindrop growled, her hooves squeezing threateningly.

“Yup, definitely the Raindrop I know,” Sentinel gasped out, before prodding her forehooves gently. “Can you stop squeezing. I kind of like to breath every now and again.”

Raindrop nodded and sighed, releasing her grip of him. Sentinel took in a deep gasp, and then panted for a moment, while Raindrop drew back to lay on the floor, watching him with sad eyes.

“You know what we should do?” Sentinel offered.

“What is that?” Raindrop asked, raising a brow in a disinterested way.

“We should get wasted and play with fireworks,” Sentinel said with a grin.


“I don’t believe you talked me into this,” Raindrop said, shaking her head, her ears splayed back. “What are we even doing?”

“We’re mixing alcohol with highly dangerous objects that cause harm to many ponies every year. So... Basically any males idea of ‘fun’,” Sentinel responded with a grin, pulling out a box of matches.

Sentinel had lured Raindrop to the guard outpost at Ponyville, where they had a leftover box of fireworks from Hearth Warming’s Eve. It had taken a very short trip to the local inn to get the alcohol, and Sentinel was insisting that Raindrop get drunk on it. Now, the two pegasus were at the highest tower, with a crude firework sitting on a stick in front of them.

“Wanna light ‘er up?” Sentinel offered, holding out the matches.

“What could possibly go wrong?” Raindrop asked sarcastically, but, took the matches against her better judgement, took a swig of her cider, and then lit the match, applying it to the fuse.

Immediately, the cord began to sparkle and burn, until it hit the base of the firework. The red rocket spluttered once, and then fired off, whizzing away into the air and then exploding against the night sky in a brilliant starburst of red.

“I forgot how pretty those things are,” Raindrop said, watching the red sparks fizzle out as they trailed towards the ground.

“Indeed. These are just the cheap ones though... The mortars are the most fun. So loud and big,” Sentinel said with a wistful sigh. “And the most expensive. Cost so much.”

“Expensive, loud, dangerous...” Raindrop trailed off, taking another swig out of her bottle. “I’m surprised you haven’t tried to bed it.”

Sentinel rolled his eyes. “Your insults are getting less coherent the more you drink. Even I’m not that stupid.”

“Well your face is less coherent,” Raindrop huffed, pushing him with a hoof.

Sentinel chuckled faintly, and then set up the next firework for her. “Fire away!”

Raindrop hummed as she lit the next firework, sending it spiralling away into the darkness to explode into a starburst of orange and yellow.

“So what happens if one of these misfires?” Raindrop asked after a moment.

“Pain. Screaming. Lots and lots of both, really,” Sentinel said with a thoughtful expression.

“Lovely. Bring on the next one,” Raindrop said after a moment.

Sentinel grinned, and then set up a total of five, twining their fuses together. “Set em all off at once.”

Raindrop nodded, and then lit them all with a match, stepping back and looking up.

The five fireworks all went off simultaneously, spiralling into the sky and then exploding with a fizzling series of pops, lighting up the better part of Ponyville with all the different colours of the rainbow.

“What will Ponyville think of the fireworks?” Raindrop asked suddenly, blinking sideways at Sentinel.

Sentinel shrugged faintly, raising a brow at her. “Who cares?”

“Right you are!” Raindrop said, raising her glass in a drunken salute. “Bring on the next firework!”


Eventually though, they ran out of fireworks, and Sentinel began steering the thoroughly wasted Raindrop towards the inn.

“You’re alright, Sentinel,” Raindrop crooned, leaning against him heavily as they walked. “I mean, you’re cute, and you have this really hittable face and muzzle and you don’t even try to hit me back.”

“I hit you once or twice,” Sentinel corrected, shaking his head as he lead her through the doors of the inn and towards the stairs.

The mare stumbled up the stairs with the guard behind her to make sure she didn’t end up falling and tumbling down them.

“That way,” Sentinel said, pointing with a hoof towards the right.

“Right,” Raindrop said, stumbling in that direction, humming to herself until she got to the door, pushing it open and pulling herself over to the bed, splaying across it.

“Sleep well, Raindrop,” Sentinel said, moving to close the door.

“Waaaait!” Raindrop wailed, waving a hoof at him.

“Hmm?” Sentinel asked, peering in at her.

“Where are you going?” Raindrop asked flatly.

“I am going to return to the hospital. I’m not technically supposed to be anywhere other than the hospital at present,” he admitted, tilting his head at her.

“No. You’re coming to bed with me,” Raindrop stated, patting the bed beside her. “I am drunk. And if I remember correctly, you sleep in my bed when I’m drunk. You guard me from my drunkenness, that’s it.”

Sentinel paused a moment, looking in at her, and then hummed thoughtfully. “No funny business?”

“There won’t even be any smiles,” Raindrop stated with a single short nod.

“Very well, then,” Sentinel said, stepping inside and closing the door behind him with a hoof, stepping over to the bed and then carefully crawling up onto it, moving to lay beside her.

Raindrop rolled over to face him, looking up at him, her head tilting to the side slightly, a strange smile on her muzzle.

“This is unnerving,” Sentinel said after a moment.

Raindrop just continued to smile, before leaning in and kissing him full on the mouth with a low, eager purr.

Sentinel allowed this, even lifting a hoof to gently stroke her mane as she did so.

After a few moments, Raindrop pulled back, staring into his eyes, her own having a hazy, cloudy look to them. “You knoooow...Shine is out of the picture now.”

Sentinel nodded, but didn’t respond, watching her carefully.

“And I’m drunk,” Raindrop added, inching closer to the guard, looking up at him. “And we’re alone. And did I mention I’m drunk? It wouldn’t be too hard to take advantage of me.”

“You’re right,” Sentinel said, agreeing with her, leaning in to kiss her nose gently.

“Do you have any clue?” Raindrop asked, exasperated.

“‘Fraid not,” Sentinel admitted with a small chuckle.

“I need you, you idiot,” Raindrop stated, wriggling closer and wrapping her hooves around him, pulling him closer until their noses were touching. Her eyes narrowed slightly, and he pressed their hips together, staring into his eyes as she breathed, “I know you want this.”

Sentinel gave a nod of admittance, staring back at her in return.

“I want you to ravage me,” Raindrop whispered heatedly, her hooves squeezing at him eagerly.

“Such prim and proper words,” Sentinel teased, kissing her nose once.

Raindrop growled, pulling him closer and then leaning up to whisper into his ear, her words a stream of pure filth that made the guard’s eyes widen with their brazenness.

As she pulled back, she stared at him, grinning coquettishly. Sentinel stared back at her, and as she leaned in to kiss him, he saw her eyes flicked. For a moment, they went from stunning pink, to a demonic, slit-pupilled green.

Sentinel jerked back in surprise, but as soon as he saw it, it was gone.

“I want you,” Raindrop reiterated, wrapping her hooves around him tighter.

The guard paused a moment, and then shook his head, gently pushing against her chest with a hoof. “No, you really don’t.”

“But I do,” Raindrop insisted, whining faintly.

“Oh, I’m sure you want someone,” Sentinel stated, pulling her into a gentle hug. “But it’s just a desperate grasp to validate that you are feminine enough to be wanted by a big, strapping male such as myself after being rejected by your boyfriend.”

Raindrop wrinkled her nose, hitting weakly at his chest with a hoof. “Why are you being so damn... Female? You’re male! I’m supposed to the one telling you no!”

“I break the mold,” Sentinel stated with a grin, kissing her nose gently.

“I hate you,” Raindrop sulked, splaying her ears backwards.

“Hey, tell me that again tomorrow when you wake up having not drunkenly seduced me,” Sentinel said with a smile.

“I won’t remember any of this in the morning... Sure you don’t wanna take advantage of me?” Raindrop offered, trying to inject a little seductiveness into her tone.

“I’m sure,” Sentinel reiterated, hugging her a little tighter. “I’d never hear the end of it in the morning.”

“Ugh, you are so going in the friend zone,” Raindrop stated, snorting and pushing at his chin with her nose.

Sentinel grinned, kissing her nose once in response. “I’m sure you’ve woken up next to one or two colts before. Imagine waking up next to me. You’d be scarred for life.”

Raindrop raised a brow at him slowly. “Well, at least you’re honest.”

“You’re not supposed to agree with me!” Sentinel complained.

“Hey, you just turned down a night of drunken, clumsy lovemaking. I get free insults for at least a week,” Raindrop pointed out, nudging him against with her nose, and then sighing faintly, resting her nose against the hollow of his throat. “Thank you Sentinel.”

“Jeeze, make your mind up, lady. One moment you hate me, and the next you’re thanking me,” Sentinel said with a long-suffering sigh.

“I hate you because you turned me down... But I kinda get it. I’d probably regret it in the morning. You probably saved me from a suicide or a life of prostitution,” she said with a sage nod.

“I love how your compliments are wrapped up in insults. It’s like getting a rock thrown at you and finding a bit inside when it smashes against your skull,” Sentinel explained with a grin, licking her nose sweetly.

“If I was a sweetsy mare who just threw around compliments, I’d be boring,” Raindrop pointed out.

“You most certainly aren’t boring,” Sentinel said with a nod, smiling and settling down against her.

“And you are a handsome, insufferable fool,” Raindrop stated, sighing faintly and hugging around him tightly. “You know we used to hate eachother like... A whole week ago?”

“And I almost ended up bedding you about five minutes ago,” Sentinel added with a grin. “Can’t resist animal magnetism, babe.”

“You turned me down!” Raindrop growled, pushing at him with a hoof, “And I can still pin you down and have my way with you if I please.”

“Suuure you can,” Sentinel said with a grin, pulling the mare close and kissing her cheek. “Wanna make out before you pass out?”

“Will it lead to sex?” Raindrop asked bluntly.

“‘Fraid not,” Sentinel said with a sad shake of his head.

Raindrop huffed. “Fine. But I get to grope your cutie mark at least.”

Sentinel grinned, “Deal.”