• Published 8th May 2012
  • 7,968 Views, 1,390 Comments

Antecedent - Anonymous Pegasus



Raindrop needs to reunite the Elements of Harmony to cure herself of her affliction. But the journey will become so much than the destination.

  • ...
26
 1,390
 7,968

Friendzone

It took several hours for the two pegasi to limp into Ponyville, and by that time, night had fallen once more. Sentinel was in the lead, and Raindrop was still trailing behind, uncertain.

Sentinel had kissed her. And she hadn’t even given him a concussion afterwards. She just...didn’t know how she felt about that.

Both of the pegasi headed for the hospital. They were both injured in one way or another, and Sentinel was a lot worse off than Raindrop. He still hadn’t managed to get his wings up off the ground, and they were constantly trailing, unmoving.

Sentinel pushed the front doors of the hospital open with a heave of his forelegs, and then collapsed right there in the doorway, giving a long sigh and then just laying his head on the floor, closing his eyes.

“Uhm...nurse?!” Raindrop called, as she stepped over to the fallen guard, nudging him with her nose in a weak attempt to stir him.

A nurse came stalking out from one of the doorways, frowning and then slipping over to the guard, kneeling at his side, inspecting his wings. “What happened?”

“Disagreement with a hydra,” Raindrop said with a helpless smile.

“Help me get him to a bed,” the nurse said hurriedly, and Raindrop nodded, slipping to Sentinel’s side to help support him as the nurse did the same on the other side.

With the two of them, they managed to get the guard back on his feet, and then into a room, pushing him up onto a bed.

Raindrop withdrew then, and stood in the corner, watching, holding a hoof against her freshly-bleeding shoulder wound. The nurse began to remove the guard’s armour, piece by piece, setting it aside in a neat pile and then inspecting his wings.

With a worried look, she hurried out of the room to go and get supplies.

Raindrop stepped over to the bed while there was a lull in the activities, and raised a brow at Sentinel. “Are you awake?”

A muffled mumble answered her. “Do I have to be?”

“You look as bad as I feel,” Raindrop stated, shaking her head at him and looking at his wings.

“That bad, huh?” he asked weakly in response, stirring slightly and lifting his head to peer back at her.

Raindrop nodded mutely, lifting a hoof to gently arrange the guard’s wings into a more comfortable position.

“I meant what I said,” Sentinel said after a moment, watching her. Even though his gaze was a little ‘off’, and he was obviously in pain, he seemed lucid and aware of what he was saying.

“You said a lot of things,” Raindrop pointed out, frowning as she set his wings down neatly.

“No...about trying to make me not die...I still remember that you left me in those tunnels the first time around,” Sentinel responded, watching her expression.

Raindrop shook her head, looking down at her forehooves uncertainly. “I was angry...and you weren’t exactly trying to make nice.”

“And yet, this time, you didn’t even hesitate to take on a full-grown hydra just so I wouldn’t get eaten,” the guard said with a smug smile.

“I was scared you’d come back as a spirit and haunt me. Then I’d have Sentinel twenty-four-seven and wouldn’t be able to hit you to make you shut up,” Raindrop pointed out with a shake of her head.

“Oh come on. Just admit it, Raindrop,” Sentinel said with a weak wave of a hoof.

“Admit what?” Raindrop asked, lifting her gaze to stare at him, mystified.

“Admit that you liiiike me,” Sentinel sing-songed, grinning.

“Why are you being stupid? You’re not even drugged up yet,” Raindrop stated flatly.

The guard rolled his eyes, grunting as he shifted to stare at her further. “Why is it so hard for you to admit that you don’t want to see me die?”

“I don’t want to see you die,” Raindrop stated immediately, “The girly, high-pitched screams of your final breaths would haunt me forever.”

Sentinel rolled his eyes again, shaking his head. “So that’s how it’s going to be, huh?”

“Yup,” Raindrop responded immediately.

“Any reason why?”

Raindrop paused a moment to collect her thoughts. “...You kissed me.”

“It was a friend kiss,” Sentinel said dismissively.

“We’re not friends,” Raindrop stated flatly. “Ergo, we cannot have a ‘friend’ kiss.”

“So what was it then if it wasn’t a friend kiss?” Sentinel asked, raising a brow at her.

“I...I don’t know.” Raindrop shook her head as she admitted that to him, looking down at her forehooves.

“So we’re not friends, we’re definitely not romantically involved, we’re not acquaintances...what exactly are we?” Sentinel queried, perking an ear back at her.

“I...I just don’t know,” Raindrop protested, her ears pinning back, her gaze shifting uncomfortably.

“I can’t leave this bed, you know. So if you want to run away and go hide somewhere like most fillies do in this situation, feel free,” The guard stated, watching her with interest.

Raindrop rolled her eyes. “You know I’m not that kind of pony.”

“Do I?” Sentinel asked, raising a brow. “I thought you were the kind of pony who could take a friend kiss without getting all crazy.”

Sentinel’s flippant tone grated on Raindrop’s nerves, and she growled at him. “I swear, I’m going to go back on that whole silent deal we had where I didn’t cause you bodily harm.”

“We had a deal?” Sentinel asked, blinking.

“It was silent!” Raindrop rebuked, her tone exasperated.

Their conversation was broken up by the nurse returning with a doctor, with bandages and bottles of ointment clasped in their hooves. Both of them immediately set about medicating and bandaging up the pegasus’ wings, splinting them to keep them from moving, and giving him a shot of local anaesthetic so they could set the bones where they’d become misaligned.

Sentinel watched Raindrop throughout the procedure, his gaze unwavering. Raindrop tried to return his gaze, but after a few moments, was unable to, staring down at her hooves instead.

And then the doctor and nurse were done, and the two pegasi were left alone again.

“Well? What’s it gonna be?” Sentinel asked, raising a brow at her.

“I still don’t know,” Raindrop stated flatly, glowering at him, moving to stand closer to the bed, inspecting what the nurse and doctor had done to his wings. “And every time you ask me, the urge to hit you rises.”

“Oh come on,” Sentinel said, exasperated. “I was deliberately flirting with you and dropping little hints because I know the first thing you girls do with a male you don’t really like, is friendzone him, hard. How is that you haven’t friendzoned me?”

Raindrop shook her head slowly at him, her ears splaying back. “...That isn’t the truth and we both know it.”

“Nope. Want that friendzone,” Sentinel insisted. “It has benefits. Like cake, and cookies, and a lack of violence.”

“We both know what you did, Sentinel,” Raindrop said with a shake of her head, her tone soft. “You started something...”

Raindrop trailed off for a long moment, unsure what to say.

“Ugh, are you going to get all sappy and emotional and girly on me?” Sentinel asked, staring at her, aghast.

Raindrop growled for a moment, glowering at him. “I’m female, remember?”

“Oh, sorry. Easy to forget sometimes, my mistake,” Sentinel quipped, grinning at her.

“You’re not making this easy, Sentinel,” Raindrop whined, her ears flattened against her skull.

“It’s real easy, see, you friend zone me. Then, I’m only your friend and that’s it. Everyone wins!” Sentinel pointed out matter-of-factly.

“Quiet, you,” Raindrop protested, lifting her hooves to rest over his mouth, so he couldn’t speak.

Raindrop looked down into his eyes for a long moment, and then went to say something, before thinking better of it.

“It...it wasn’t a friend kiss,” she stated, slipped her hooves to the side and then leaning in to kiss him full on the mouth, her soft lips meeting his own.

Sentinel didn’t try and stop her at all, just letting her hold the kiss as long as she wanted. It was a warm, long affair that last far longer than a ‘friend kiss’ ever would.

Raindrop drew back when she deemed it was sufficiently long enough, and looked down at him, tears in her eyes. “I-it wasn’t a friend kiss...A-and I just need time to think...”

And before Sentinel could respond, Raindrop had turned and bounded away.

“So...not friendzoned then?!” Sentinel called after her.

Raindrop gave a helpless giggle in between her confused sniffles as she pulled open a supply closet and hid herself inside, curling up in the corner away from the world. She needed time to think. Needed time to figure out exactly what she and Sentinel were to each other.