• Published 1st Mar 2015
  • 597 Views, 1 Comments

The Lifespan of a Princess - Henyoki



Twilight is full-grown and deals with the sad reality of the life of a princess

  • ...
3
 1
 597

Apples Don't Just Fall

As Twilight follows behind Applebloom, she glances at the walls as they make their way to the stairs leading to the second floor. The walls are covered with many pictures of the Apple family, ranging from oldest to newest, the further upstairs they venture.

Twilight noticed many of the more recent pictures did not have Applejack in them. When she sees this, she tears up a bit, a warm salty tear rolling down her cheek. She wipes it off when Applebloom stops at a light blue door.

"She's in here. I think she's awake, but I'm not sure." Applebloom says quietly, as she silently, and slowly, opens the door. Applebloom slowly walks away, her cutie mark splattered with rainbow jam; a red apple with a hammer in front of it.

"Thank you Applebloom." Twilight quietly makes her way to the bed, flying slightly to lift herself enough to reduce noise as much as possible. She stands next to the bed, looking at the sleeping orange mare. Twilight sits next to the bed, the floorboards making a light creak. Twilight puts her hoofs on the side of the bed, and rests her head down gently. The bed's blanket feels warm, and cozy. Within minutes, Twilight feels a hoof being gently placed on hers. She looks up to see the mare turned her way, smiling at her.

"Applejack..." Twilight tears up again.

"None of that, sugarcube." Applejack smiles at Twilight, and wipes her tear away. Twilight places her hooves on Applejack's, and closes her eyes.

"Are you ready, to see the others?" Twilight asks, putting Applejack's hoof down.

"Yes. Could you get my wheelchair out for me?" Applejack asks, in a hoarse, fleeting voice.

"Of course, old friend."

Twilight stands up, as her horn begins to glow, bringing an old brown wheelchair from behind Applejack's nightstand. She sets it up next to Applejack's bed, and walks over to the side of the bed, closest to the window. Applejack pushes her blanket off of her, and slowly sits up, her old bones creaking.

"Let me help you." Twilight says, looking concerned.

"Well, alright", Applejack chuckles, "I can't be holdin' on to my pride at this age."

Twilight uses her magic to gently lift Applejack out of her bed, and onto her wheelchair. Applejack begins to put her hooves on the wheel-turning devices, but Twilight places her hooves over them, and puts Applejacks hooves back onto her lap.

"No, Applejack. I'll push you. You shouldn't exert yourself."

"Well, alright Twilight. You're always right." Applejack gives a smile. Twilight smiles back.

Twilight and Applejack make their way out of sweet apple acres, Applejack holds her wrinkled hoof out.

"Wait, Twilight. There's something I want to get before we go." Applejack directs Twilight into a small greenhouse, with many flowers inside. The room is warm, and feels as if you could easily fall asleep in it.

"When did you do this?" Twilights asks as she gazes at the multiple arrays of beautiful foliage.

"After Granny Smith passed away. I started growing flowers 'cause Granny Smith always loved 'em. I never thought I'd be usin' 'em until now. I got flowers for everypony, even you."

"That's so nice, Applejack. I'll get them all, ok?"

"I got a bucket over there for 'em, if'in you don't mind putting them in there."

"Of course not."

Twilight spots a large brown bucket in the corner of the room, and places the plants Applejack specifies in the bucket. After they gather the flowers, Twilight and Applejack make their way out of Sweet Apple Acres once more, heading towards the Everfee forest.