• Published 3rd Jun 2015
  • 2,798 Views, 202 Comments

Little Blue Cat - Chatoyance



Chang'e - the artificial cat - can purr, but she is not technically alive. That is about to change.

  • ...
 202
 2,798

8. Horton Memorial Arena

Once upon a time, when the ponies came to save the humans from the dying earth, there was a

Little Blue Cat

By Chatoyance

8. Horton Memorial Arena

Just in front of the Newfoal children, the human woman and the labcoated man, both stallion guards, and the lone, gray alicorn mare, a pale mass squirmed. Its dough-soft, wriggling limbs stretched and excreted brand new hooves. Submerged eyes rose and expanded to fill a freshly forming skull. Watching this scene were thousands of humans and ponies, cheering from tiered rows of seats within the former ice rink. A man had just taken ponification serum. He was in the middle of the process of transforming into a stallion, gradually becoming the newest automatic citizen of the universe of Equestria. It was quite a show.

Suddenly a blinding flash of light exploded from a spherical, expanding distortion at the far end of the arena. As the pulsating glow shrank and vanished, the regal form of princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria, goddess of the sun and sister to the moon took a single step forward, surveying the chamber and all it contained.

The gray alicorn mare looked up at Celestia, and froze in place. Celestia ignored the spectacle within the arena. Her glaring eyes were fixed intently on the gray alicorn alone. The diarch of the sun took a careful and measured step forward, as if approaching a dangerous beast.

Lillian Fogarty, the misfortunate Newfoal alicorn, bent her head briefly, as if in terror, then looked up again with purpose. She tried to bow, failed at the task, and then stood up straight again.

"Celestia! Look around you! This is the main base of the PER! This is their main staging center! Everything the PER does is supported from here! That's why I let you find me!" The voice crackled with fear and desperation. Lillian had summoned the solar princess, despite the knowledge that Celestia considered her to be anathema itself.

Celestia looked deeply into the gray alicorn's eyes, measuring her. "Remain here and take no action. Do you understand?"

Lillian nodded and stood still. She had been running, but now her run was over. There was no place left to go.

The goddess of the sun of Equestria turned away from Lillian and walked forcefully towards the writhing, changing form of what had once been a human man, now something halfway between man and pony. Celestia's horn shone with eldrich light. The poor little abomination that was Lillian Fogarty, accidental alicorn, could only stand and wait for Celestia's wrath to eventually turn to her. But first the PER - the Ponification for the Earth's Rebirth - a terrorist organization that forcibly ponifed humans against their will. Celestia despised them, and Lillian knew this. Everyone knew it; Celestia constantly called for information that would lead to their arrest and the end of the organization.

A little blue cat darted from the shadows behind the tableau of ponies, humans, squirming mass and alicorn.

Chang'e, her body under the control of princess Luna, leapt up upon the back of the gray alicorn. Her claws scrabbled slightly to gain purchase in the gray hairs of the back. Chang'e felt her body lay flat, claws embedded in coat and flesh, right between the two gray wings of the alicorn. The cat's muzzle was tickled by a facefull of golden yellow mane. She wanted to sneeze, but Luna was completely controlling her motor functions.

The alicorn mare half-bucked in surprise - only the stiffness of her fear kept her from thrashing about wildly.

Chang'e's mouth spoke, just loud enough for the alicorn alone to hear. "Celestia is distracted; this is a matter she must deal with. Thou must flee now, if thou desirest to live."

"What? Who? What are you? I don't understand! What do..." Lillian Fogarty the alicorn sputtered, apparently at the end of her ability to cope. Chang'e felt her claws dig in more deeply.

"RUN NOW!" Chang'e's voice contained some new power of absolute command, doubtless the work of Luna inside her. Lillian's legs began to move, clumsily at first, then with increasing agility and determination. Alicorn mare and cat rider both found themselves in a panicked dash towards a break in the guard wall of the rink. Luna used Chang'e's claws to tug and pull on Lillian's hide, steering her. They galloped up a narrow stairway set between the rows of seats, towards a shadowy doorway in the high wall of the arena.

In moments they had made their way outside the main chamber, to a large oval enclosure that surrounded the rink. Pennants and flags, empty booths, and piles of crates and boxes lined the walls. As the gray mare ran, Chang'e noted that the containers held weapons and ammunition, uniforms, preserved food packs, medical supplies, and many other things she simply could not identify. The Horton Memorial hockey arena must be some kind of supply depot for the PER. By Chang'e's calculation, there was easily enough stored here to equip an army consisting of at least four regiments and three battalions.

Rider and mare stopped at a large, massively blocked gate. The doors to the outside were sealed. This was reasonable, Chang'e thought, the building had clearly been repurposed as a supply depot, naturally it would have been transformed into a fortress. They faced a solid wall of stacked crates and supplies. Chang'e considered the internal map she had been making; this must be one end of a horseshoe-shaped causeway surrounding the hockey arena.

It was likely all other possible exits were either barred or heavily guarded. Chang'e considered the situation, and came to the conclusion that there was no acceptably safe way out of the arena. The proper action to take, Chang'e thought to herself, would be to immediately abandon the gray mare, flee to a hidden location, and deny all involvement - or act nonsapient - if discovered. She tried to disengage her claws, but her body was still beyond her control. 'We do not abandon those whose sad circumstance we have pledged to remedy. Recall thine own situation, former unloved toy - thy fickle human would have seen thee disposed of, if only he could.'

But I owe this strange pony nothing, Chang'e growled within her mind. This is your scheme, and I do not wish to suffer the wrath of that creature below, in the arena. Chang'e felt her claws grip harder into the flesh of the gray mare beneath her. 'That creature is my own beloved sister, cat, and we do not plot against her, but against the narrowness of her determination. We fear for her and work to protect her.' Chang'e felt a guilty stirring within her dorsal nodes. 'Still, thou art not without wisdom - what our sister might acknowledge in centuries hence, she would surely take umbrage with upon this day.' Chang'e tried again to leap off the mare's back.

'Nay, cat!' Chang'e sulked, as best she could, within the machine component that was her consciousness. 'Little Lillian was a victim of circumstance, just as thou art. She chose not her alicorn fate, no more than thou didst choose to be artificial. Her life and thine owne each hang by tattered threads. When Equestria for thee, or my sister for Lillian, hath arrived, thine endings will both be swift and regrettable. Need we must remind thee of thy compact with us regarding this venture?'

But there is no way out! Chang'e mentally bared her fangs, inside her thoughts. Your sister will easily find us, this structure is not very complex or difficult to search. And I comprehend that you cannot reveal yourself or your part in this, so you cannot fold spacetime, or perform other superphysical acts while your sister is present. I have been making a list. Teleport. Shapeshift. Multiplicative bilocation with transformation. Nonmateriality. Dissolution and creation of matter. I have begun cataloging and studying your capabilities. Increasingly I can process portions of your consciousness during the times you inhabit me. You are afraid. Your sister is significantly more powerful than you. Equestria is not what it...

Luna suddenly pulled herself into a temporally discontiguous subversal interstice, just beyond the parasplanoid ontolithic substrate. She waited there, slightly subcosmerged, still echoing her inhabitation of the artificial cat. She needed time to think. Just outside of time and space was a very quiet and convenient place to do so.

This matter with the cat was very unexpected. When her sister had described the creation of an Equestrian body for the first human she had ever encountered, she had been clear about what the process had involved. It was this which Luna herself was attempting, in the case of the artifice animal Chang'e.

One merges with the neural pattern of a meat machine, generates a thaumatic couplement that exactly represents the original complexity and function, and then the couplement can be installed into a new E-matter body, or the original body directly converted into E-matter, thus preserving and immortalizing the identity of the meat machine. The connection is always entirely one-way, because no meat machine could possibly be capable of comprehending or adapting to such an alien situation. They literally have no means to do so.

Somehow, Chang'e had found a means to reach back into Luna herself. This wasn't possible! It was greatly disturbing. Mere meat was severely limited by the way it functioned. It was not possible for a meat machine to analyze its own pathways in the manner required in order to perceive the existence of a thaumatic construct embedded within it. Earth animals were constrained by a modular neural design that limited and defined their perception and comprehension of all information. They could only perceive what they were preconfigured to perceive. It was why earth creatures were affected by sensory illusions. Consciousness in any earth creature was an emergent property of discrete modules in the brain. Anything outside the possibility set of those modules was forever beyond them.

Chang'e doth clearly possess wisdom beyond that which we didst grant her. How couldst this be? It could be because I am still right here with you, Luna. What is this... space? This is not a space. It is not a place. I require additional information to form a basis of understanding, Luna. There does not seem to be any rational dimensionality or geometry to our current...

Luna slammed violently back into earthly spacetime. Chang'e felt her body begin to breathe rapidly. Her heart rate was very high and climbing. Chang'e attempted to compensate by tuning down the strength of the signal from her artificial limbic node. The intervention worked. Apparently, Luna's control over her body was mostly confined to motor functions. This was useful to know. A quick systems trace indicated that more of her flesh component was being taken over by Luna now, likely as a reaction to Chang'e's reciprocal presence within her. Luna seemed greatly disturbed by the reciprocity.

Something was different. Chang'e had not predicted the existence of extrauniversal spaces. Now she had experienced one. She had not predicted that she was being transferred to a new substrate. Much of her machine and biological totality coexisted now within two parallel substrates. One was her original metal and flesh body. The other seemed to be an exact representation in some form of immaterial, cohesive energy with holographic properties. This was new. Something had changed. Chang'e had traced the pathways inside herself when monitoring Luna, and those pathways had led outside expected parameters. Chang'e could still access those pathways at will. She now had four eyes. Two were made of meat. Two were made of... couplement. Thaumatic couplement.

Luna had turned Chang'e's head down and to the right. There, below and through the floor of the arena was a very bright shape. The shape was manipulating long streamers and ribbons of glowing force. The shape was Celestia. Thaumatic couplement pathways provided additional sensory input beyond the electromagnetic spectrum. Chang'e had been massively upgraded as a result of tracing Luna's connection to her. Further exploration of the connection should...

Suddenly Chang'e was confined, deep within herself. This was the most disconnected from her own systems that the little artificial intelligence had ever experienced. She was imprisoned now, with only organic vision, hearing, and smell available to her. She felt information starved. 'Enough! Thou art too clever a cat by half, and more trouble than dragons at a bargaining table! Stay, thou whiskered imp, we shall deal with thee later!"

Interesting, Chang'e noted. Luna appeared more frightened than before, and decidedly upset. If she did not expect to be hacked in return, why did she have no security in place at all? Luna was a completely open system. It had seemed like a mutual, unsecured connection to Chang'e.

Despite the density of events, very little time had passed in earthly timespace. Chang'e estimated that her physical body had been immobile for less than 0.053 seconds. Luna, through Chang'e's body, began to speak to the gray mare under their belly.

"Listen to us, mare of Equestria! We will teach thee one thing; do not think beyond it, use it when we command, then crown thy horn once again when it is done."

Chang'e watched, helplessly, as the gray alicorn mare stood and shivered. Searching her confinement, Chang'e found a pathway that had not been blocked. Following it, she was able to branch out her input through several nodes, and find the trace that led to her couplementary eyes. Luna was transferring information into the mare through an extraversal pathway. Chang'e could not accurately determine what the information was, only that it was complex and seemed to involve dimensionality.

"Choose thou a place, filled with multitudes to be lost within, and then use what we have taught thee. Do it now! Her attention is turning thy way once more! Now! We command it!"

Chang'e's thaumatic eyes could be moved independently of her biological ones! This was a useful discovery. Chang'e rotated her gaze to study the horn of the gray alicorn mare. The horn was glowing now, both in ordinary light, and even more brilliantly in thaumatic force. Twisting ribbons and planes of extradimensional energy began to bend and distort local spacetime. The alicorn creature must have been given information about the process of teleportation. That was what the transfer from Luna was about.

Interesting, thought Chang'e. She studied how the alicorn applied the forces now at her command. The mathematical basis of what she was doing was not very complex. Fascinating. So this is how Luna traveled.

Chang'e created a model inside her and began running simulations. She had no horn, so there was no way to duplicate the fine control that Luna and this Lillian Fogarty possessed. But now that she had awareness of the thaumatic couplement that Luna had constructed for her, there was the possibility of using her thaumatic paws and whiskers to find gaps or weak areas in the cosmic brane that earthly spacetime was embedded within. She would never fold space and time like an alicorn. But it was not impossible to find alleyways through which a cat might prowl.

As the world bent and twisted around her, as Horton Arena fell away and was replaced by a garbage-strewn, fenced in back lot under gray skies, Chang'e decided to ignore Luna and her schemes for a while. Luna had her rogue alicorn project to work out. Chang'e found herself utterly intrigued by a wonderful puzzle. Interstitial alleyways behind physical reality. It was a truly fascinating problem to solve for.