• Published 6th Mar 2015
  • 6,814 Views, 671 Comments

Upheaval: Journeys - Visiden Visidane



The ninth rebellion looms over Equestria, and its defenders must gather all the means they can to face the firstborn.

  • ...
16
 671
 6,814

Applejack 2: On The Trail

Upheaval: Journeys

Applejack 2: On The Trail

A swift breeze blew through Applejack's mane as she leaned on the Night Skimmer's railing. On the first half of the trip, she had been studiously attending to the books Vanguard had provided her. When the scenery shifted from the Heartland's snowy plains and forests to the distinctly verdant carpet of foliage that marked the Southern Barrier Land, however, she had to take a better look. she had never imagined that a place could be so...green.

It only took the swift-flying Night Skimmer the better part of a single day to get from Canterlot to Highstable, the largest of the southernmost settlements of the Barrier Lands. Their vague destination of "somewhere in the area Greenfang Outpost used to be" was much farther south, but Highstable was as far as they could get by airship.

"The ophidites have eyes on the sky," Vanguard had explained. "An airship or two arriving in Highstable won't be suspicious. They'll expect it to be delegates from the Heartland or a few officers from the other legions. An airship in an outpost will put any nearby imperial scouts on high alert."

That was easy enough to understand and accept. Applejack had expected that she was going to hoof it across what was likely going to be miles of jungle. Bog Light dedicated several chapters to describing the environment and things didn't sound very promising, but she was no stranger to difficult journeys and dangerous wildlife. Another warning from Vanguard, however, concerned her more.

"When we get there, I'd advise against using your shield," Vanguard had said.

"Why not?" Applejack had asked, her worries already doubling. Her shield was her best weapon, the one thing she knew that she could rely on even against the dark of the abyss.

"Coatls are highly sensitive to magic. Normally, they tune out the usual skirmishes between the cobrahns and our unicorn magi, but I suspect that your shield would register as something strange to any nearby overlord. They will want to investigate and having one of them on our trail will make things very difficult." Vanguard's eyes had narrowed. "You should also know that if we find out that the Emperor has so much as glanced at our direction, the mission is over and we're running all the way back to Canterlot if we have to."

Applejack shifted her gaze from the seemingly endless foliage to the far horizon of the south. Bog Light only dedicated only a single chapter on Emperor Sesyth, not because the immortal ruler of Ophidus ranked low among the dangers of the Southern Barrier Land, but because there wasn't much that needed to be said. Bog Light detailed options when faced with a sunfly swarm or a squad of vipren hunters, but the standard response for any Legion unit faced with even the possibility Sesyth's arrival was full-on retreat. The adamant look in Vanguard's eyes was all Applejack needed to know that he wasn't going to even consider pushing on for the sake of finding the tomb if Sesyth became involved.

There was a grand enough sight closer to them, however. No need to focus so much on the ominous structures of Ophidus to the horizon. The Night Skimmer neared a large group of tower boughs; massive trees that rose above the normal canopy of green. Each one had a trunk thicker than a house which spread into a network of branches that could be small forests in themselves. Boasting the largest pegasus population in the Southern Barrier Land, Highstable's buildings lay nestled among the great boughs of these trees. They melded so perfectly with the surrounding vegetation that it appeared as if the tree had sprung from its seed with houses attached. Huge, elaborate rope bridges, strong enough to allow even carriages to travel on them, linked branches and even trees together. The Night Skimmer was approaching the Sky Gate's arboreal port edge. Originally, Highstable used this spot to manage passing war balloons from the Legion, but some modifications had already been done to deal with small air ships.

"Applejack."

At the sound of Vanguard's voice from behind her, Applejack turned around, already patting the saddlebags she had by her side to show that she was ready to go at a moment's notice. For barding, she had switched the chain and plate she was used to for dark green dragon scale-reinforced leathers. As if leather and wolven fur wasn't weird enough, now she had these. They were quite tough as she quickly found out after a few tests, and surprisingly light. She hoped she didn't have to encounter Spike while wearing them. Or any dragon for that matter.

Vanguard had done the same. This would be the first time she would see him attempt any kind of mission in anything lighter than a full suit of plate.

"Ready to go?" Vanguard asked. He looked to the railings in time to see some of the crew set out the boarding planks.

Applejack nodded, and walked by his side as they proceeded to depart. Of the Night Skimmer's passengers, they were the only ones leaving. The crew saluted as they walked past.

"We'll meet with Bad Arc's contact first," Vanguard said once they had left the air ship. "He said he'll wait for us at the Mabolo Inn."

The Sky Gate was a massive, artificial platform above and at the center of the grove. It was connected to the largest tower boughs through solid wooden bridges, which also acted as its supports. There were several other air ships docked here, as well as a few war balloons. Pegasi also flew in individually. Watch towers discreetly dotted the branches of even the smallest of the tower boughs. The guide for Southern Barrier Land territories populated those towers with unicorn magi and marksponies, as well as ballistae ready to shoot any flying thing that tried to land anywhere in Highstable other than the Sky Gate.

They crossed a bridge towards one of the northern trees, where great steps spiraled around the rising branches to reach the dwellings up there.

"So what's this pony like?" Applejack asked. She hoped that being Bad Arc's contact didn't mean that this pony was going to be a jerk like Bad Arc.

"Not a pony to start with," Vanguard said. "His name is Seshimyssen the Pervert."

"Seshi--" Applejack frowned. "Sounds a lot like the name of that ophidite that we captured."

"Vipren names tend to follow that pattern." Vanguard paused at a road sign to get their bearings before moving on. "Myssen for the males, Myssa for females."

Applejack stopped, forcing Vanguard to turn towards her. "So it is an ophidite!" she said. She was about to ask why they would even work with the same sort of varmint that nearly dragged Rainbow to Ophidus, but she caught herself. They were going to ophidite territory and had to deal with the Empire. An ophidite would know a lot about these things probably a lot more than books. Bad Arc was a jerk, but he was still a legionnaire, and Vanguard was okay with the idea. Applejack also had to admit that she had been getting a lot of help from some really weird places recently. "I thought Bad Arc said that he knew some ponies."

"He has a very broad definition of pony," Vanguard said. "I believe it's 'anything working for Equestria'."

"So what's his story?" Applejack asked. "And why's he called 'the Pervert'?"

"The Empire's not as united as it would like us to think," Vanguard said. "Their methods alienate some some of their citizens, especially the ones in the lower tiers." He snorted, then let a grim smile cross his lips. "Stands to reason, doesn't it? The privileged ones like the coatl overlords and the cobrahn shamans, are fiercely loyal, but constrictor grunts, and vipren stable masters like Seshimyssen, won't always like their lot. Equestria's agents find them, then bring them over to our side."

Applejack nodded. "Good to know that at least some of them don't like fighting us."

They made it to the Mabolo at last; a rounded building, designed to resemble an over-sized fruit of some sort. Its walls were a warm brown, strangely fuzzy, with the front doors swinging freely to welcome customers. And there quite a number of them as well. Highstable appeared to be a frequent visiting point for ponies of the Heartland out to see what was farther south. Even from afar, it wasn't hard to notice that the tables inside were mostly full and that a great many of the customers sported cutie marks. Vanguard had his hoof on one door when he continued.

"As for being called 'the Pervert', we'll have to find out from him."

Despite the crowded inn, it took Applejack barely a couple of seconds to spot their contact. It would have probably taken more effort not to notice the lone snake in a crowd of ponies. Like the ophidite they had captured, Seshimyssen was covered in tiny, dull brown scales from his nose to all six feet of his length. He had thicker arms and shoulders than Hashymissa, a broader head, and disturbingly long and bony fingers. Applejack could have sworn they had three joints, but a closer look showed only two.

Another thing hard to miss was the golden collar around the ophidite's neck. Applejack doubted that a heavy, inch-thick band of metal was an ophidite fashion statement. It was more likely the Legion's.

Seshimyssen, on the other hoof, had not appeared to notice them. Probably because he was eyeing every pony that came anywhere near his table. He "sat" by coiling his tail around the legs of his chair, resting the part where his torso met his tail on the seat. It was only when they were a couple of feet away, and very obviously staring at him did he finally look up. "Bad Arc send you?" he asked in a soft, surprisingly high-pitched lisp.

Vanguard nodded. At this, Seshimyssen gestured for them to sit down. With one more look around him, Vanguard obliged. "My name is Vanguard Clash of the Northern Equestrian Legion." He nodded towards Applejack. "This is my partner; Applejack. How much do you know of the old Greenfang Outpost area?"

A small thrill ran down Applejack's spine at the mention of "partner". She didn't miss the other implication though. Vanguard didn't mention the Element of Honesty. She silently agreed with the notion.

Sesimyssen's gaze was on Applejack when he spoke. "A marked pony so high up in the Legion. I couldn't believe it when Bad Arc told me. Hard to believe now." He turned his eyes back to Vanguard. "I expected a northerner to still be using that name. It hasn't been 'Greenfang Outpost for a long, long time, Vanguard Clash."

"Update us then," Vanguard said.

Seshimyssen held up a pair of bony fingers. "Two things first," he said. "Bad Arc called in a big favor to get me to help you, but he wasn't clear on details. What are you after in that place?"

"We're searching for the tomb of Apple Slice," Vanguard replied.

Seshimyssen clasped his hands, and leaned forward. Applejack wasn't sure if she should take that interest as a good sign or not. "The Old Bear-Wrangler," Seshimyssen said. "Imperial Scouts have been searching for his remains ever since Lord Neksyth put him down."

I didn't think that Ophidus had that much of an interest in Apple Slice, " Vanguard said. "Why all the searching?"

"Do you see a hood around my neck, Vanguard Clash?" Seshimyssen asked. "Or legs sticking out of the sides of my tail? The cobrahns and the coatls deal with the why's of the Empire. They simply tell us, and we go."

"I know a few things about nobles and servants," Vanguard replied. "Your shamans and overlords seldom care about what you piece together in your own time. So spare us the lowly vipren act, Seshimyssen. Our task is very important."

Seshimyssen opened his mouth, but, instead of speaking, he let out a sharp, spitting sound. Applejack tensed briefly, a hoof already reaching for her chain. Seshimyssen made no hostile move, however. Perhaps, that was only the ophidite version of a snort.

"My father was majordomo to Lord Mensyth," Seshimyssen continued. "He and his ponies combed that jungle for years simply because Lord Neksyth's brood are still looking for something to display as proof of his glory. Preferably a skull. Mensyth hoped to be the descendant to do it."

Applejack tried to imagine Apple Slice's skull hanging from some snake's mantlepiece like a trophy. It was all she could do not to tremble. Even if she gained nothing else from finding this tomb, saving his remains from the ophidites would make this trip worth it.

Seshimyssen glanced at Applejack, forcing her to compose herself quickly. "Why didn't he just take his stupid trophy if he won that fight?" she asked.

"He didn't, really," Seshymissen replied. "Lord Neksyth massacred the ponies of Greenfang, but it cost him dearly. 'Chased the scarlet rabbit' as we're fond of saying. He had no means to hold it so he had to flee very quickly. The Southern Legion cornered him near Ervan Reis, and wiped his troops out. The Empire still calls it a victory though. After all, a second assault a week later secured Greenfang."

"But the body was long gone," Vanguard said. Seshymissen nodded at this.

"Mensyth found nothing in the end," Seshimyssen said. "As more years pass, the Empire's interest wanes. What makes you think that two ponies, and a vipren are going to succeed where centuries of the Empire's careful searching failed?"

"We have an edge," Vanguard said. "Guide us through the area, and we'll take care of the finding."

"Ah, so I am to risk my life on this task with only vague assurances." Seshimyssen let out a quick series of short hisses. Applejack could only guess that it was some kind of chuckle. "This should be worth more than even a big favor. Bad Arc will owe me when this is over."

"And the other thing you want?" Applejack asked.

"I'm not helping you in this by myself," Seshimyssen said. "Neksyth's Glory is currently at the thick of the fighting between Imperial Forces and the Crocodilian Rebellion. I've sent a message to Anektor. He should be ready to meet us by the outskirts."

"I take that's what the Empire calls that area?" Vanguard asked.

Applejack snorted, and crossed her forelegs. This Lord Neksyth probably got lucky, and landed a fatal blow on Apple Slice when he was already surrounded. Now, they've gone and named an entire place after some stupid snake. No use grumbling about it, not like this Seshimyssen named the place. "I dunno, Vanguard," she said instead. "I mean, two ophidites going with us to ophidite territory?"

"Anektor is no ophidite," Seshimyssen said. "Don't let him hear you even suggest it."

"Crocodilian," Vanguard said. He raised an eyebrow at this. "They may be fighting the Empire, but the crocodilians have never been friendly with Equestria."

"Aye," Seshimyssen said. "Their nationalists would be just as happy to make tents out of you two. The mercenaries, though...the right price will secure their help. I know the trails, but some of them will be clogged with fighting. Anektor will let us have some more options. A little more stealthy muscle will also be useful, yes? Let's hope the Legion lets you use its coffers."

"It does," Vanguard said. He was silent for a while, eyes hard and thoughtful. "I'll take care of the coin," he said. He stood up. "If you have things to gather, Seshimyssen, do so now. We'd like to start as soon as possible."

Seshimyssen nodded, and uncoiled from his chair.

"Hold on," Applejack said. The ophidite obliged by coiling again, and looking at her. "Why are you called 'the Pervert'?"

Seshimyssen smiled. At least, the bared teeth resembled a smile. Applejack wasn't sure if ophidites even did such things. She expected two long, needle-sharp ones to unfold given vipren reputation for being the most naturally venomous of the ophidites. Seshimyssen's smile was ringed with small, pointed teeth instead. Perhaps he simply kept those fangs folded. Or the Legion could have de-fanged him.

"Because of my perverted fondness for ponies, of course," Seshimyssen said. He flexed his fingers, and Applejack had to fight off an impulse to wrinkle her nose. Those things almost seemed to have a life of their own, as if Seshimyssen had a bunch of worms at the ends of his arms. "Rank five, the worst rank in the Imperial Registry for Deviants," he went on. "Known to have consensual sexual relations with slaves. Must stay a hundred yards away from any stable on pain of death."

"Consensual," Vanguard remarked.

"Aye," Seshimyssen said. "That's what earns you rank five. If I had forced myself on slaves, I might have gotten away with rank four or three, but getting permission? Loathsome."

"Why'd you keep the name then?" Applejack asked. "You're not in Ophidus now."

"Why not? I've always heard that ponies appreciated honesty, and the title is nothing but honest." Seshimyssen uncoiled from his chair again. "Ah, but enough about me. I'm just a lowly snake roped into a dangerous mission because of foolish promises." He nodded towards Vanguard. "I have a few things to prepare so I'll meet you by the southern Root Gate."

With that, he slithered out of the inn. Only when he he was out of sight did Applejack finally allow herself a shudder. "I know he's an ally and all, but does he have to be spending...I dunno... so oily?" she asked.

Vanguard chuckled briefly. "He likes to perform, doesn't he? I wouldn't worry too much. He was more interested in getting a reaction than probing for weaknesses."

Applejack lowered her voice. "And the collar?" she asked. "Is he some kind of Legion slave? Is that why Bad Arc can make him do things?"

"The collar makes for easy identification that he is on Equestria's side," Vanguard said. "It keeps him from getting shot by paranoid or overeager legionnaires who might think they just caught a vipren spy. "

"At least, he's honest about some things." Applejack frowned. "Dunno if that's a good thing."

"If he tries anything to justify that name of his, I'll protect you," Vanguard said with a smile.

Applejack smiled back. "And what if it's you he's after?" she asked.

"I'm sure you'll have a few things in mind."

"You bet I will," Applejack said. "Probably start with those creepy fingers." She caught herself again with a nervous chuckle, before looking around. "So...this sure is an impressive city."

Despite the awkward start, she had meant it. Highstable exuded a warmth that she didn't associate with cities especially Barrier Lands cities. She had never imagined that she would walk streets of burnished wood or look up at rooftops interwoven with living leaves. Highstable didn't loom and impose like Bastion City or even Canterlot, despite being nestled in a grove of gigantic trees.

"It is, isn't it?" Vanguard replied. "Pegasi may not be able to walk on clouds as they move away from the center of the Heartlands apparently, but that doesn't stop them from wanting to live as high up as possible."

Applejack glanced at an earth pony couple chatting it up by the bar. "Other ponies don't seem to mind either," she said. "Cloudsdale's probably more up a pegasus' alley, but this here's homey enough for anypony." She tapped the floor with a hoof. "I'd rather walk on strong, solid wood over clouds any day."

Vanguard signaled for a barmaid. When Applejack looked at him quizzically, he shrugged. "Might as well sample the local flavor. "

The local flavor turned out to be a mixture of spices and fruit juice; interesting taste, but no alcohol. With the influx of visitors from the Heartland, Highstable's bars and inns had opted play it safe, and put away the hard stuff, at least for now.

Applejack downed her glass with a lick of her lips, then stared out a windown. "How do you think the others are doing?" she asked.

"The air ship for the Delve will take longer to arrive, so I expect Rainbow, Rarity, and Pinkie, to be relaxing. I'm hoping Scarlet isn't abusing the onboard bar."

Applejack chuckled. "Nah, I think Rainbow's got him under control. Her, and that Longstride."

Vanguard smiled wryly. "She has been good for him, as strange as it is to admit. I had thought she'd bring out his worst. He certainly almost did that for her."

"I thought so too," Applejack replied. She remembered that dark moment in front of their shared quarters in Bastion City. "Should have known from the start that she'd pull through. "

"That's due, in no small part, to you," Vanguard said.

Applejack cast her gaze downwards. "Shucks," she said.

"As for the others, I think we can trust Pinkie to wriggle her way out of any trouble she gets herself into, and, out of those three, Rarity is the most likely to make the wise choices."

"What about Twilight?" Applejack asked. "I mean, going to the Eternal Herd? I know that the prince and the princess are with her, but going to another world full of alicorns that may or may not like her? And Fluttershy flying off east..."

"Crazed missions, the lot of them," Vanguard said. He set his empty glass down. "And I'm sure that they're thinking the exact same thing about us; a hoof-ful of ponies braving an ophidite-infested jungle to find something that may or may not be useful."

"At least we're staying in this world," Applejack muttered. "Guess we can only trust them, huh?"

Vanguard set his empty glass down. "We better get going. Seshimyssen might change his mind if we make him wait too long."

With a nod, Applejack stood, and followed him out.


Anypony trying to get to Highstable without flying had to go through the Root Gates. The grove of tower boughs was enclosed by great, vine-covered, mossy walls; the only stone structures of the city. There were four gates; one for each direction. Applejack stared in wonder as a sea of goods-laden carts greeted her and Vanguard. Highstable's base resembled a giant market with ponies waiting their goods' turn to either be carried up by the many pegasus porters flitting about or lifted to the city using the complicated series of pulleys hanging from some of the tower boughs.

This was clearly the less desirable way to get into the city, though. The spiral stairs that winded down the partially hollowed trunks of these tower boughs proved an arduous descent. Getting to the ground didn't make things any better. The air down here was muggy and damp, thick with the smell of greenery both fresh and rotting. It took Applejack only a few minutes to be uncomfortably warm. The ground was soft and damp, letting her tramplers sink slightly into them slightly with each step. That was going to be a problem should something start tracking them.

Seshimyssen awaited them by the southern gate as he had said, now clad in scaly leathers, and armed with a longbow. Applejack eyed the quiver slung across the vipren's shoulders, mentally reminding herself not to even scratch herself with those things. She also noted the whip hanging from Seshimyssen's belt. Hashymissa had a similar weapon, and it seemed more and more likely that it was the favored tool of these vipren "stable masters".

"Been a while since I had to dress up," Seshimyssen said. More short hisses. "At least for a situation that might involve fighting."

Applejack actually wrinkled her nose this time. "You're not going to keep doing that throughout this mission, are you?" she asked. Bad Arc's contact may not be a pony at all, but it appeared that he was just as much a jerk as Bad Arc.

Seshimyssen dipped his head. "Apologies," he said. He was smiling his toothy smile as he spoke. "I can't help myself sometimes."

"Neksyth's Glory is still a long way away," Vanguard said. "We'll travel to Snakewatch Outpost to take stock of supplies and reconnaissance. From there we skirt the east side of Ervan Reis, and onwards to Neksyth's Glory."

"Don't expect things to go as smoothly as you plan them," Seshimyssen said. "The Southern Legion has been launching raid after raid recently. Ervan Reis security will be harsh."

"Snakewatch... " Applejack said. "I've heard that from somewhere. " She tapped a hoof against her chin. She recalled overhearing it. It was back in Bastion City, she was sure of that much. It was something that she wanted to know, but got lost in the shuffle after they returned to the Heartland. Snakewatch Outpost...what was there?

A look towards the jungle path that swiftly disappeared into the foliage was enough to tell Applejack that she was going to have plenty of time to ponder that.