• Published 18th May 2012
  • 12,438 Views, 1,757 Comments

Death Battle: Equestria - RLYoshi



Death Battle with ponies. Characters are researched, then pitted against each other in fights to the death, with pacifistic tendencies removed. Who would win in an Equestrian Death Battle?

  • ...
54
 1,757
 12,438

PreviousChapters Next
Battle 16: Nightmare Moon VS Slender Man

Demons of the night! Beings of pure darkness and evil! Still less scary than my ex-wife!

Still holding victory from the antagonist free-for-all, Nightmare Moon...

...going up against the biggest Internet phenomenon since somebody came up with the acronym 'lol', Slender Man!

Because the lore and fan theories surrounding Slender Man is vast, we're narrowing down what information we use and what we don't. Marble Hornets will be considered our primary canon source, but information that doesn't conflict with it that we get from Everyman HYBRID and Tribe Twelve will be used as well. In addition, Slender: The Arrival will be counted as another primary source, since it was written by the Marble Hornets crew.

As for everywhere else? Screw it! We ain't gonna scour the whole web to dig up every bit of info about him, especially since most of the info out there is either the same as the sources we talked about, or just contrasts with it anyway.

I'm Yah-Shee and he's Arrell, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armour, and skills to find out who would win an Equestrian Death Battle.


Nightmare Moon

True Identity: Princess Luna
Species: Alicorn pony
Corrupted by jealousy
Intense magic and strength
Capable of transformation
Victor of the Antagonist Free-for-All against Discord and Queen Chrysalis

We already went over Nightmare Moon's powers in a previous battle, but for the sake of memory, let's give a recap of everything.

Nightmare Moon is the dark - well, darker - version of the beloved Princess Luna, corrupted by her jealousy of her sister Celestia's daytime and popularity! Because, you know, envy literally turns you into a brainwashed monster. Sure explains the hell out of half the kids in high school.

It is safe to believe that Nightmare Moon has all the capabilities that Princess Luna normally has, including entering ponies' dreams and the Royal Canterlot Voice. However, we also see Nightmare Moon use some particular abilities in her limited appearances. For one thing, the season one premiere shows us that she possesses the power to turn herself into smoke.

And...pretty much anything else, really. Thorns, Shadowbolts, scary tree faces...

In addition, despite being smoke, she can still apparently cause avalanches by going inside cracks in the mountain, and has the power to cut right through things by just flying past them. Normally, we would find this to be scientifically impossible, since gasses cannot interact with solids in such a way unless they were under an insane amount of pressure, but...well, it's Equestria.

Yeah, when you're talking about a land of magical talking horses, you kind of lose the ability to say something isn't possible.

Even when not smoke, however, Nightmare Moon possesses uncanny strength. She can shatter solid stone by just stomping the ground near it, and she can fire magic beams that are strong enough to completely blow up parts of buildings at a rapid pace, with no sign of exhaustion. Compare this to Twilight Sparkle, resident overpowered magic-user, whose similar magic beams during the changeling attack were only enough to hurt others, likely not even knocking out or killing them.

One direct hit from one of these beams actually knocked out Princess Celestia for a short time! Queen Chrysalis had to be powered up by love to do that!

In terms of weaknesses, however, Nightmare Moon has been shown to frequently underestimate her opponents. She falls for Twilight's teleport trick to get close to the Elements of Harmony, and didn't realize the danger of the Elements when Celestia used them until it was too late.

And...it's pretty clear she doesn't learn from her mistakes, since when she came back and other ponies tried using the Elements on her, was she scared? Nahhh. Once again, it wasn't until the last minute when she realized their danger. Then again, a thousand years on the moon would make it hard to remember everything.

Nightmare Moon is powerful both in physical and magical strength, and she can come up with a variety of ways to take down her foes thanks to transformation. She is difficult to fight and difficult to catch, with her only cause of defeat being the Elements of Harmony and her own arrogance.

You know, like most villains on the show. Substitute "Elements of Harmony" with "deus ex machina" where appropriate.

"I have but one royal duty now...to destroy you!"


Slender Man

Species: ??? (humanoid abomination?)
Height: 7'
Has eight tendrils he can manipulate
Teleports when not being looked at
Causes cameras to static
Can hypnotize and brainwash people

Slender Man is a tall, faceless, humanlike abomination in a suit and tie. Very little is known about him, but what we do know makes him a scary and fierce competitor as is.

What Slendy does is up for debate. Some say he kidnaps and hypnotizes children to be his slaves; some say he hunts people down and mutilates them; and some say he just hides in his forest and doesn't like trespassers. Whatever the case, he's good at what he does.

Very few have seen Slender Man, and contrary to popular belief, this isn't because he makes you see static when you look in his direction. On the contrary, he can only induce static in cameras and monitors. Instead, if you were to look directly at Slender Man, he would begin to induce madness in you through sickness and hearing voices, eventually brainwashing you completely. However, this is apparently affected by your proximity to him, as well as how clearly visible he is; if you can barely see him through the darkness, the effects are much easier to escape from by turning away and running. And while he may be an abomination, he can't hurt you until he gets close.

Which isn't too hard for him, since he can teleport if you're not looking right at him, Weeping Angel-style! So either you're looking at him and being driven insane by his brainwashing, or not looking at him and being driven insane by having no clue when he's gonna show up!

His primary method of proper attack is his eight tendrils growing from his back. He can retract these at will if he wishes to hide them, but most interpretations have them out and at the ready. While they look like just dark tentacles, they can slice and pierce through human flesh, and can be manipulated with absolute precision despite their size. They're even durable enough for him to walk with.

He also has pyrokinesis. Or, for those of you either not smart or not familiar with BioShock, fire powers. He can start flames with his mind, capable of burning down libraries and even forests, and fire doesn't affect him in any way...then again, not much does. This guy's been shot, stabbed, and practically incinerated...yet he still walks to this day, no worse for the wear.

Indeed; Slender Man has only one actual weakness, and that is the Operator symbol. As specific as it sounds, in truth, the Operator symbol is no more than a circle with a large X over it. Being in the presence of this symbol weakens Slender Man, making him a prime target despite his durability.

And aside from that durability, his tentacles, and the ability to start fires...he really doesn't have much going for him, when you think about it. He may be tough and scary, but he lacks variety and his weakness is pretty wimpy for a humanoid abomination. Who the hell gets weakened by a game of tic-tac-toe?!

Despite all this, Slender Man has been undefeated and almost undamaged for this long. We'll see if it holds out.

ALWAYS WATCHES NO EYES


Alright, the combatants are set! Let's end this debate once and for all.

IT'S TIME FOR AN EQUESTRIAN DEATH BATTLE!


The Everfree Forest is as it always has been at night: dark and quiet. Crickets chirping and bushes rustling are the only sounds one would hear if they were around; but, of course, nopony is stupid enough to go out into the Everfree Forest at this time of night...

...but the two beings, lurking in the shadows yet keeping an eye on one another, are no normal ponies.

From the darkness, a pair of glowing glaring eyes focuses on a barely-visible figure across the way. All that can be spotted from this distance is a blank white head and a stark black suit, blending in almost perfectly with the surroundings.

And then, the silence is broken.

FIGHT!

Nightmare Moon immediately flaps her wings, flying up into the air as her opponent just stands there, watching without so much as tilting his head. However, from his back, several black tentacles sprout and stretch after the alicorn, only to connect with air as she turns to smoke and evades the attack.

The smoke reforms into the princess just feet away, but in the split second she took her eyes off Slender Man, he had vanished. Looking around, her ears flick at some sort of sound, quickly turning towards it. Sure enough, Slender Man has reappeared, right in front of a large tree. Glaring, she lowers her head and flies down directly at him.

Slender Man doesn't even move, merely grabbing the tree behind himself with his tentacles, ripping it from the ground effortlessly and hurling it. The alicorn's eyes widen and she darts to the side, avoiding taking the large plant head-on, but still getting knocked off course as the branches connect with her wing. Struggling to right herself in the air, she glances back at her foe's position, only to find that he has once again disappeared.

Hissing, she turns into smoke once again, for both the improved mobility and transformation if need be. Floating around the forest, she searches for Slender Man, finding nothing even pointing towards him; unbeknownst to her, Slender Man is similarly looking for her as well. However, he has more success, and spots her smoke form floating around.

Realizing he cannot hurt her in this form, he instead warps directly into her line of sight. The smoke almost seems to jump back before reforming into the princess, who tries to spear the humanlike creature on her long horn. Surprisingly enough, she succeeds, but he doesn't even react.

As she's about to pull her horn out and try again, possibly a little higher up (or lower down, banking on the chance he was more man than abomination), she winces as a headache begins to assault her. Pulling out, she waits for it to stop, only for it to get larger and more painful. Grunting, she grabs at her head with a hoof, opening an eye to see Slender Man far closer than before, his tentacles poised to strike.

Gathering up all the strength she can, Nightmare Moon flaps her wings and jumps into the air, barely dodging the sharp tentacles as they pierce the ground she had just been standing on. Immediately, they retract and go to strike again at the airborne target, but the alicorn merely flies away, relieved as her headache clears up the farther away she gets.

Flying around a bit, she soon lands in a small clearing, looking around for any sight of Slender Man. Deciding to wait for him to come to her, she flares her wings and keeps on lookout, waiting for any sign of his white face or black tentacles.

The latter comes much quicker than the former, thrusting out from the bushes at her. She swiftly jumps out of the way and grabs the tentacles with her magic, pulling hard, only to be met with far more resistance than expected. It's as though the creature on the other end is completely immobile; though this is quickly proven false as he appears right behind her, grabbing her around the torso with the rest of his tentacles.

Startled, the alicorn drops the tentacle in her magic, struggling against her binds. After a second, she recalls her powers, and begins to call upon them to get out of this. Rather than turn into smoke, however, Nightmare Moon has another idea. She shuts her eyes, and...

...something happens. All that can be seen is her form changing back to the lighter-skinned Princess Luna, looking as though she had just woken up from being unconscious. She blinks, seeing the tentacles around her, and looks up... right at the blank white face of her alter ego's enemy.

Only now, a wisp of purple smoke can be seen entering into his head. Despite lacking a face, his "expression" seems to darken, and his tentacles tighten around her.

She screams for help, but soon that is silenced, as her lungs are crushed by the incredible strength and her eyes bug out. Then, just to be sure, Slender Man squeezes one final time, completely breaking the princess into two bloody halves that fall to the ground.

His tentacles retract, and with a sound not unlike static, he vanishes.

K.O.


Wait, what? What the hell just happened?!

It has been confirmed that the "Nightmare" is not just Princess Luna's jealousy, but rather its own entity that enters the minds of those it seeks to corrupt. Since Nightmare Moon could not defeat Slender Man, but could still survive his attempts to kill her, the Nightmare decided it was time to flee her mind and enter Slender Man's.

So now we've got... Nightmare Slender Man?!

While it's true that no living creature can ever sleep safely again, this does give us an interesting result. On one hand, this technically means Slender Man wins, as he manages to absolutely destroy Princess Luna when she's still exhausted from the Nightmare leaving her mind. However, the Nightmare - which is, technically, Nightmare Moon herself - is now in his mind, and as such, can determine for itself when he will no longer be of use to it. And now that it's in his mind, it likely knows of his weakness to the Overseer's symbol.

So...

So, the winner is nobody. Because honestly, with that thing roaming around, everyone might as well kill themselves now.

...probably right.


Next time on DEATH BATTLE: Equestria:

Unicorn VS unicorn.

Post-apocalyptic hero VS post-apocalyptic hero.

Slayer of slavers VS hater of raiders.

Stable Dweller VS Security Mare.

Littlepip VS Blackjack.


Got a suggestion for an Equestrian Death Battle? Post a comment below suggesting matchups, or send me a PM with suggestions in it! If I get enough good ones, I might continue these battles after all.

PreviousChapters Next