• Published 18th May 2012
  • 12,438 Views, 1,757 Comments

Death Battle: Equestria - RLYoshi



Death Battle with ponies. Characters are researched, then pitted against each other in fights to the death, with pacifistic tendencies removed. Who would win in an Equestrian Death Battle?

  • ...
54
 1,757
 12,438

PreviousChapters Next
Tournament Battle 2: Brand Fire VS Plymouth Valiant

As the illusions throughout the arena dissipate and the hosts prepare the next battle, a certain Changeling has begun making his way through the crowd to a familiar mare. As happy as he was that he won the previous battle - well, the illusion won, but still - he still felt he needed to say a few things.

Knightmare walks over to the dark-furred alicorn mare. "...Hey," he says, attempting to get her attention. "Do you mind if I take a seat, Miss Stanza?"

"I don't mind at all," Tundra replies with a small smile.

Knightmare takes a seat. "...So...Uh...yeah. s-sorry..." He's blushing like mad.

Tundra raises a hoof in a sort of manner that means 'stop'.

"There's nothing to be sorry for. You fought me. You beat me. That's how a tournament battle is supposed to go."

"Yhuh...I wasn't...actually talking about that...." Knightmare sighs. "I think they got some faulty infomation because there's no way I'd be that insulting to...anyone unless they'd done something to make me really angry.... I just...yeah. Sorry..." He breathes deeply and sighs, holding out his hand, "So...uh...friends?"

"Sure," Tundra nods as she reaches out her hoof to accept.

"Besides, they weren't exactly spot on with my information either. I mean, Ruri'iro Kujaku? That's Apple Bloom's sword." She chuckles at the thought.

"Definitely different universes, the Apple Bloom I know has a razor whip." Knightmare chuckles and shakes her hoof. "Well, maybe we can meet again after the tournament is over? I'd love to do a duet on the stage."

"Yeah," Tundra agrees, "I'd like that."

"Then it's a deal! Drop by New Canterlot sometime and we'll make some beautiful music together! ....and no, that wasn't an innuendo."

"I... didn't say it was," she blinks in confusion. That didn't sound remotely suggestive, she thought.

"...everyone likes to think I'm a shameless pervert. I, personally, don't like it when everyone I meet assumes that, since it's not true...and I swear I'm going to strangle Griffin for telling Arrell that...." He sighs and decided to just keep his mouth shut before he makes a bigger fool of himself.

An awkward silence passes with Tundra having no idea how to reply. Fortunately, Shirayuki decides to take dominance at that point.

"If everyone else chooses to make assumptions before they've properly met you, then that's their problem. I can tell that you're better than that."

Knightmare turns to face them, tears forming in his eyes and an honest smile on his face. "...Thank you." He breathes deeply and rests his head in his hands.


"Did you double-check this time?" Yah-Shee asked, sighing as he did so.

"Yes, I double-checked! Just because we got a couple bits of faulty information last battle doesn't mean you gotta nag me every five seconds!" Arrell groaned, leaning back in his chair. "Wasn't even my fault, for Celestia's sake!"

The more collected of the duo just rested his head on his hoof for a second. "Fine. Let's get the next battle started."

"Gladly!"

The two hosts turned on their microphones, ready to continue. One battle down, and a ton to go - hope you don't have other plans today, folks, because we'll be here a while! Arrell announced happily.

For our next matchup, we have Brand Fire, the musical Element of Generosity...

...and Plymouth Valiant, the near-psychopathic mechanic!

I'm Yah-Shee and he's Arrell, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win an Equestrian Death Battle.


Brand Fire

Species: Unicorn pony
Special talent: Music and sound (Gee, where have I seen that before?)
Element of Generosity
Uses surroundings to his advantage
Royal Guard training

Brand Fire, known to some as Firebrand, is a unicorn pony who replaces Rarity as the Element of Generosity in the Recasted world. Being large and stocky, as well as having eight years of Royal Guard training, his physical strength is greatly superior to that of a regular unicorn.

And just like pretty much every OC we've seen so far, he's a musician! I'm starting to get tired of this.

Firebrand is easily irritated by those he finds to be foolish or idiotic, leading to him lashing out. However, he never loses his cool entirely and manages to maintain control. He is controlling and stuck-up, much like the real Element of Generosity...

Cutting you off before you go into another rant. One of Firebrand's biggest advantages is his resourcefulness, gained thanks to his Royal Guard training! He knows how to use the surroundings to his advantage in a battle and can analyze situations, though this caters less to giving him advantages and more to just removing his disadvantages. He also has weapon training with both a sword and a spear, but for some reason, he doesn't carry either of them into battle!

Fortunately for Firebrand, his raw physical strength more than makes up for his lack of a weapon of choice. He has exceptionally high endurance and running speed, even able to keep up with a flying pegasus while on foot.

...wouldn't it be "on hoof"?

Dammit Arrell, we are not getting into that again!

Okay, okay...

Despite being a unicorn, Firebrand has shown little magical skill outside of basic levitation. One particular spell he does have, however, allows him to increase the volume of his voice loud enough to shake the ground, but without doing any specified damage to buildings and structures. This means he can amplify his voice to be at least as strong as approximately 3.8 kilotons of TNT.

Wait, what? You just pulled that out of your ass!

On the Richter magnitude scale, the strongest possible earthquake that can be felt but deal no to slight damage to buildings is a 5.0 to a 5.9, or a "moderate" earthquake. A 5.0 is equal to approximately 480 metric tons of TNT, or 0.48 kilotons, while the more averaged-out 5.6 is equal to 3.8 kilotons. A 5.6 is also equal to 16 terajoules of energy, which is about 25% as powerful as the Little Boy atomic bomb that exploded over Hiroshima in 1945.

So...in other words, Firebrand's voice is a quarter as strong as an atomic bomb?

Put simply, yes.

Damn. Suck on that one, Dovahkiin!

Firebrand's use of the environment and physical strength easily balance out his lack of true magical abilities, though he still has a few other odd quirks. For example, he hates water, isn't good against fast opponents, and prefers to run on sand than any other type of ground.

...why?

I dunno. That's just what the judges told me.

"You made three very fatal mistakes. Your first mistake: challenging a pony who's been trained as a Royal Guard. Second mistake: challenging a pony whose talent is sound. Third mistake...letting me know exactly where you are."


Plymouth Valiant

Species: Earth pony (formerly human)
Special talent: Mechanical work
Capable of advanced engineering
Builds robots and weapons
Introduced alcohol, guns, and robots to Equestria
Almost freakishly calm and collected

Plymouth Valiant was a human from Earth, but after what he simply describes as "a drunk night", he ended up in Equestria.

Man, I wish that happened when I get drunk!

Arrell, we're in Equestria already.

Oh yeah...

Valiant, despite having no real special abilities, is incredibly intelligent and handy with mechanical work. He has created various weapons and robots since arriving in Equestria, becoming easily recognized as both a talented inventor and a mad genius.

He also brought alcohol to Equestria, and thank all that is holy for that!

Much of Valiant's skill comes from his vast arsenal, but for the sake of fairness, we naturally can't give him any giant robots...no matter how much Arrell begs.

But at least he still gets some form of weaponry! He'll be taking in his .50 caliber Desert Eagle handgun, which he can somehow use with hooves! That should be enough to win right there!

Actually Arrell, that particular gun isn't as overpowered as some may think. It's normally used for medium or big game hunting, and is needlessly powerful for tactical or defensive use. It tends to be better suited against large mammals, and the heavy recoil from firing – as well as the excessive flash – makes it somewhat cumbersome to use. Plus, as we've seen, Valiant doesn't have extremely fast reflexes or much training with firearms, and therefore it takes time for him to actually line up for a proper shot.

But hey! A gun is still a gun, and if he gets one well-aimed hit, he's a winner! Plus, since the gun has seven rounds, he's got seven chances to score that hit!

The Desert Eagle isn't Valiant's only weapon. He frequently carries a switchblade in his mouth for surprise attacks, spitting it out to use when his foe least expects it.

Somehow, he can still talk with it in his mouth, and he doesn't accidentally set it off with his tongue and stab himself in the cheek! That's one magic mouth!

...ignoring that. Valiant tends to stay stoic and calm, no matter the situation, and when danger presents itself he either dives in to fight or leaves quickly. However, he doesn't have much to him in terms of combat ability; without his weapons, there's next to nothing he can do. In addition, he's not much of a strategist; he may often leave out important details that lead to serious consequences.

Assuming he'd fight anyway, that is! Valiant doesn't try to fight or kill until provoked, and since that technically doesn't count as not wanting to kill at all, we're not taking that trait out.

When battling, Valiant stays focused and is not easily distracted; however, he'll rarely treat his opponents as a threat, and will gladly begin talking to them even in the middle of trying to kill them. He enjoys mocking his opponent, racking them up to the point where they simply attack out of rage instead of reason.

Kinda like a typical villain...except he's not evil.

That last part is debatable.

"Death is called the great equalizer for a reason - the rules are the same for everyone."


Alright, the combatants are set! Let's end this debate once and for all!

IT'S TIME FOR AN EQUESTRIAN DEATH BATTLE!


Forests typically represent a subtle serenity. This day however, it was the site of a clash of the chosen. The combatants entered a clearing from within the trees. One was a unicorn, armed only with his mind and natural abilities. The other was a simple earth pony, or perhaps from the Desert Eagle in his holster, not so simple.

The opponents watched each other as they waited for the signal, their silence finally broken by Brand. “Do you truly think you can beat a pony trained to be a Royal Guard?”

Valiant responded smoothly with a smirk, “If you are all it takes to get to be a Royal Guard, then it’s a wonder the Princesses survived even a day.”

FIGHT!

The unicorn immediately ran toward his opponent, hoping for a quick victory. Valiant, seeing the approaching danger, managed to whip out his pistol and level it to his opponent just before impact. Brand’s eyes widened as he threw himself out of the way. The firearm launched its payload where the unicorn had been, its recoil throwing off its shooter while the target escaped into the brush surrounding the clearing.

Brand crouched down behind a bush, shielding him from his enemy’s eyes as he rubs his ears from the loud retort of the weapon.

The armed earth pony searched around for his foe as he calls out mockingly, “Running already? But we’ve only just started!” He continued searching around the clearing, his eyes alert.

Brand stayed one step ahead; he moved silently just as he was taught. He remained low as he doubled back and closer to the searching pony. As Valiant kept his gun pointed at a bush while he moved it aside with a hoof, the unicorn rushed out of the undergrowth into a tackle that sent his opponent flying into one of the trees. The earth pony lay on the ground a moment as his opponent closes in. Valiant lightly coughed out a small amount of blood and, unbeknownst to Brand, his secret switchblade.

Just when Brand raised a hoof to finish him, Valiant quickly whipped the blade out and cut into the attacking pony’s other foreleg.

“Augh! What the-?” Brand shouted in surprise. The pain of the cut caused the unicorn to back off even as Valiant continued to swing his blade to keep his foe at bay. Soon, they were at a distance again, and the earth stallion retracted his blade and stored it back in his mouth as he recovered his breath both from the blow he suffered and those he tried to inflict. He drew his pistol again, causing Brand to go wide eyed and begin running back into the growth. Valiant growled as he tried to line up a shot, but the unicorn proved to be too fast as all three shots he fired failed to connect.

Brand called out to his enemy, “I wonder why you even bother carrying that boom stick of yours if you can’t manage to hit anything with it.”

Valiant simply smirked again as he replied, “All it takes is one.” He quickly fired another round into the bush where he saw Brand retreat. The shot missed, but was much closer than the unicorn was comfortable with. Daring not to move, Brand quickly looks around for something to use.

His eyes alighted at the sight of two things, one being a short heavy branch lying out of reach, and the other a vine within reach connected to a bush farther away. Brand reached out with a hoof and tugged repeatedly on the vine, causing its connected bush to rustle. The movement immediately caught Valiant’s attention causing him to fire a shot into the bush even as Brand used the cover of the sound and recoil of the gun to grab the branch with his magic.

The unicorn was contemplating his next move as Valiant uttered a short mocking laugh before speaking, his voice heavy in sarcasm, “Such honor you bring to those who trained you. Running, hiding, probably wetting yourself in fear! Truly the Guard is a force to be reckoned with! May those who stand against them be in awe as they simply cover their eyes with their hooves and wish it all away!”

A quiet growl came from Brand's throat as he muttered to himself, “I’ll make you wish something.” He took a deep breath as he summoned his magic. Using of one of the few spells he knew, Brand amplified his voice untold times over and blasted the ground beneath him. The pure intensity of his continuing attack caused the land itself to shake as though an earthquake was ravaging it. The sudden dancing of the land caused Valiant’s stoic disposition to crack as he struggled to keep his footing even. After a few moments of struggle, one large pulse of sound caused the land to jump and Valiant to land with all of his weight on the bad shoulder Brand had impacted on earlier.

With a hiss of pain, the earth pony’s knee buckled and he collapsed onto the ground. Brand, who had been watching from the sidelines, took the opportunity and dashed in with the large branch held in his magical grasp. Valiant managed to stand before the unicorn got to him, but as the earth pony attempted to spit out the knife in his cheek, Brand delivered a mighty sideswipe of the branch to Valiant’s head. The resulting whiplash caused the knife to fly out of Valiant’s mouth and his body to spin from the momentum. He came to rest on his back with Brand standing over him, branch ready.

Brand grinned down and chuckled at his opponent, “Any last wish?”

Valiant spit out a few teeth as he replied, “See ya.” A sudden *BANG* erupted from between the two stallions as Valiant unloaded his last bullet into Brand’s heart at point-blank range. The unicorn’s corpse stiffened before flopping onto the victor and was swept to the side. Valiant’s forelegs went limp as the adrenaline wore off and he chuckled to himself, “Woodn’t want to be ya.”

K.O.


He stole my pun! Dammit!

While he may not have any true special abilities, Valiant's weapons were more than enough to take down Firebrand. His Royal Guard training and use of the environment weren't enough to protect him from the foreign, human-made handgun that Valiant crafted.

He had a few tricks up his sleeve, but aside from high physical strength, he couldn't really turn a lot of his skills into forms of attack! The most he could do was distract Valiant and try to take him off guard, but Valiant's too genre savvy for that!

Genre what?

Read TV Tropes.

Valiant's personality also had a helping hand in his victory. Firebrand's short temper couldn't handle his foe's mocks and taunts, and pressured him to act quickly. His level head kept him from getting too angry and causing his death much earlier, but in the end, it didn't save him completely.

I guess Valiant branded his foe for life! ...as short a life as it was.

The winner is Valiant.


Next time on the Equestrian Death Battle Tournament:

Arrell VS Dark Lightning!

Who will win? Who will die? Find out next time!

Author's Note:

I know Dark Lightning is from more stories than Continuing the Dream, but that's the thing - he's from SO MANY STORIES. I just picked CtD because it seems like a good one to use as his "default" story, if only because it was the first story I heard of that had him in it.

Thanks to Rhino for writing this battle, and to all assistant judges for helping with the research and decisions!

PreviousChapters Next