• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 2,432 Views, 35 Comments

Equestria's Other Monster - james_the_unicorn



Life in Equestria is not just castles and servants. James was a human not raised in a palace, but rather, in the wild. This is his story.

  • ...
7
 35
 2,432

To Save A Pegasus

I tried waking back to my camp, where my bag and medical supplies were, but my leg soon gave out, and I landed on my cut up arm. I knew I couldn't make the trip back.

"Y-you're hurt! Y-you got hurt for me...?"

I felt the blood rushing from my arm, and my leg went numb. "I-it was worth it... Thank you, Fluttershy..."

"F-for what...?"

"... You're so beautiful... Th-thank you for being my last sight in this terrible forest..." My vision was starting to blur, as the tears filled my eyes, but a smile grew on my face. I was going to make it out of this forest, even if it was not the way I hoped.

"H-HOLD ON! I-I'LL HEAL YOU UP! P-PLEASE JUST DON'T DIE!" She said as tears began to well up in her eyes.

As I started to slip away, I heard a thud behind me, and I heard Fluttershy gasp in surprise. Was it the timber wolves? Did they come finish the job? I blacked out.

*****

Weeks have passed since I had that visit from the pegasus, and things were still the same. A few days after the encounter, I tried to find any other ponies to befriend, but if I got close enough to try and scratch their ears, they would scream, buck me in the gut, and high-tail it out of the forest. I eventually gave up and went back to hiding. That one pony was the only one to give me a chance, but I had a feeling she was not going to return for a long time, so I knew it was a lost cause.

Nightfall came to the forest, and I had to start a fire soon, before the timber wolves began their scavenging. I got to my camp and put a batch of sticks over my fire pit, then added a few leaves to help start it. I pulled out my knife and a piece of flint that I found, and then started to strike it... and strike it again... and again... It was no good, the flint was probably damp, and I couldn't get my fire started! I struck the flint once more in frustration, but clipped my thumb in the process, causing myself to yelp in pain. I closed my eyes and put my thumb in my mouth to sterilize it, then got a cloth and wrapped it up to stop the bleeding. I saw a blue light shine from behind me for a second and when I turned around, I saw the fire was started. Did that last strike actually work? I didn't question it, however, because now the fire was started and the wolves were not going to get close to it. I smiled a little and started to warm up. I looked over my shoulder, feeling as though something was watching me, but brushed it off as just some paranoia. I still didn't know how the fire started, but it was definitely not the flint. I lay down and watched the stars, feeling secure with the moon, again, and as I drifted away, I saw something large fly past it. A pegasus? a griffon? Well, nothing that looked concerning. My eyes closed and I began to sleep.

My dreams began and the first thing to fill my vision was the yellow pegasus. Her pink mane was covering half of her face and the other half showed her trying to look away in embarrassment. My hands listed and began to scratch her ears again, and she started to smile and lean into the direction of my hands. To see a pony this happy really made my heart dance, even in my dreams. Looking down, however, I saw at her hooves that her shadow did not match up. The shadow was of a taller pony, I think it looked like a unicorn, with a nearly transparent mane, flowing without wind. The shadow had a white eye, staring at me. This was not the first time I saw this figure in my dreams, but this time it was staring right at me. The eye flashed and I woke up in surprise, and it was daybreak. The fire went out and it was time for me to gather breakfast.

*****

The day passed like any other, and the sun was starting to set, but the day was not over yet. I still had to gather firewood again. As I proceeded through the woods, I hard hooves waking up the path. I hid in some plants and looked out to watch the pony walk by, but as I watched, I realized it was the same pegasus from before.

"What are you doing back here?"

She jumped in surprise and looked my direction. “I-is that you?"

"Yes, it's me, and my question still stands, why are you here? The sun's almost down; the timber wolves will be out soon!"

"I-I'm sorry, b-but... you see... I-I was looking for you."

Me? Why me?

"I-I wanted to find out more about you, so I was looking through the forest all day!"

"I see... I’m glad to see you weren't hurt... look, I’ll meet you at the entrance to the forest in the morning, if you want, but tonight you need to get back to Ponyville."

"... F-Fluttershy..."

"What?"

"M-my name's F-Fluttershy..." Fluttershy blushed a little, and looked away. Her name really represented herself well.

"It's nice to meet you, Fluttershy."

"Wh-what's your name...?"
I looked down to my pocket and remembered that I had my wallet since day one of waking up here. It was falling apart, and inside was only one card, a sort of school identification card with my name printed on it. That was the only way I knew who I was all these years. "James... Call me James."

"I-it's nice to meet you, James... can you come out of the bush for a second? I-I mean, if you don't mind..."

"No. I don't want to scare you... go home, Fluttershy, please."

she tried to respond, but I moved on. As she walked down the path I followed her through the trees and plants, making sure she found her way, but once twilight struck, disaster soon followed. Fluttershy hit a dead end and looked around, soon realizing that timber wolves were starting to approach her from all sides. "O-oh dear!" she screamed as a wolf leapt at her.

That was when I had to blow my cover. I jumped out of a tree, holding a branch with fire burning the end of it, and swung it at the wolves, trying to scare them away. "Get back! I said get back!" Two wolves tried to pounce at Fluttershy from behind, but were met with my fire branch, causing them to run away with some of their sticks still on fire. My fight was short lives, however, when one wolf attacked my arm and sunk its jagged wooden teeth into my arm, causing me to drop my torch to the ground. That did not stop me, however, for as soon as it bit my arm, I swung the wolf to the ground and caused it to shatter into a pile of sticks. That provided some fuel to my fire, and the fire began to grow. Before I could celebrate, however, one last wolf ran up and bit me in the back of my right leg, causing me to stumble, and fall, but the wolves all soon retreated when the fire grew.

Fluttershy watched in fear as she saw my injured body try to get up and walk. "J-James? D-Did you-?"

I tried to make it onto my feet, ignoring the pain. "My bag's back at camp... I just need to-" I took a second step, but it was on my right leg, the pain felt like an intense shot, like a lightning bolt had hit me, and i soon fell over, landing on my torn up arm. The blood was leaving my body quickly, and i had no way to stop it.

"Y-you're hurt! Y-you got hurt for me...?" She was scared to think that she was the cause of all this pain. I understood her heartbreak, seeing as how i always hated scaring the ponies way, she hated the thought that she caused this to happen. I had to release the burden on her somehow, but how?

"... It was worth it... Thank you, Fluttershy..."

"F-for what...?"

"... You're so beautiful... Th-thank you for being my last sight in this terrible forest..." I knew that my time was drawing short, and the pain was unbearable. Despite that, however, I had to smile through the tears. my last seconds were going to show that i was not a monster to the ponies. That i was capable of good, after all.

"H-HOLD ON! I-I'LL HEAL YOU UP! P-PLEASE JUST DON'T DIE!" She said as tears began to well up in her eyes.

"Fluttershy... Stay near the fire... until daybreak... Nothing will harm you..." And with that, my eyes closed, and i began to lose consciousness.

"NO! JAMES!" Fluttershy cried for a moment, then looked up to see an alicorn land behind my body, obviously scared that I was going to die. "P-Princess Luna?" Fluttershy stopped crying eventually and she saw Luna had used her magic to bring my bag over.

"He is alive... But not for long if we do not hurry!"

Author's Note:

There more chapters to come, and don't worry, the foreshadow part will only happen on the most important and/or emotional chapters!